Ending of Dusk till Dawn

Frank W. Manning

Feb 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/1/97

Does anyone have any opinions on the very end of This film. Seth says
hes an asshole but he is not a fucking asshole. I know this means that
El Rey most be some rough ass town full of whiskey drinking bank robbing
criminals, but come on I mean this girl has just been through the
craziest, roughest, brutal, and violent ordeal imaginable,. what the
hell will she see or expierence in El rey that could even come aywhere
close to the shit she saw and did.

Dont get me wrong I am a huge fan of tarantino and am a convinced he is
a genius, and i hope there is someone who could shed a little light on
this ending so I can better understand the overall effect of the film as
Tarantino intended it

D.Fresko

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

Tarantino intended for the viewer to have fun, not to look for subversity
within the film.

Dave

Crow11081

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

EL RAY is a fictional town in Mexico that was first used in the movie The
Getaway. In the book that it was based on it tells in the last chapter
that El Ray is the worst place anyone could ever live. So in From Dusk
Till Daw, Seth is fighting his way through hell just to go to another
hell.

Tara Seeley

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

> "Frank W. Manning" <fman...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> >Does anyone have any opinions on the very end of This film. Seth says
> >hes an asshole but he is not a fucking asshole. I know this means that
> >El Rey most be some rough ass town full of whiskey drinking bank robbing
> >criminals, but come on I mean this girl has just been through the
> >craziest, roughest, brutal, and violent ordeal imaginable,. what the
> >hell will she see or expierence in El rey that could even come aywhere
> >close to the shit she saw and did.
> >
> >Dont get me wrong I am a huge fan of tarantino and am a convinced he is
> >a genius, and i hope there is someone who could shed a little light on
> >this ending so I can better understand the overall effect of the film as
> >Tarantino intended it

I took it as Seth denied Kate because she was much younger than
him. She is no more than 17-18 and he looked to be at least in his mid to
late 30's. Maybe El Rey has lots of "women of the night" in it and he by
asking her if she knew about El Rey meant that he wouldn't be short on
chicks there. Hence, he knows he's a screw-up criminal but he's not a
psychotic rapist/molester like his brother. Meaning, he doesn't have a
thing for kids.

Frank W. Manning

Feb 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/3/97

> Tarantino intended for the viewer to have fun, not to look for subversity
> within the film.
>
> Dave
Ok i can accept that, but do you not agree it would have been more
"fun" and real if lewis would have went with seth.

Simpleton0

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

Perhaps it is the fact that she would be spending time with HIM that made
him say that. I don't know. What I got is that it just wouldn't be a good
place for her to be. Maybe he just knew there would be other people like
Richie there, know what I'm saying?

Justin McGill

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97

I just saw the end that Seth wouldn't take her a normal girl into his
admittedly violent and quite untasteful normal life of violence booze and
women.

Just my opinion..

Justin

Frank W. Manning

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97
Thats a good point, I guess that Richie was doing it for her own good

Frank W. Manning

Feb 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/4/97
Yeah I see where you are coming from. Ad I guess he couldnt take up the
roll of a guardian in El Rey, I mean he still was fleaing from the cops

D.Fresko

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

"Frank W. Manning" <fman...@email.unc.edu> wrote:

Not really. Perhaps this was Tarantino's way of incorporating his original
ending for True Romance into one of his films.

Dave

Foadmeister

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

> I took it as Seth denied Kate because she was much younger than
> him. She is no more than 17-18 and he looked to be at least in his mid to
> late 30's. Maybe El Rey has lots of "women of the night" in it and he by
> asking her if she knew about El Rey meant that he wouldn't be short on
> chicks there. Hence, he knows he's a screw-up criminal but he's not a
> psychotic rapist/molester like his brother. Meaning, he doesn't have a
> thing for kids.

Correct. Remember, his last words are "I may be an asshole, but I'm not a
_fucking_ asshole." And he had a conscience, even with his criminal ways
--he promised Gloria (the hostage) that he'd let her go as long as she
cooperated, and he seemed to stand by his word.

DOUGLAS LEVY
P.O. Box 6354
Aurora, IL 60598-0354
hid...@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~hidprod/
------------------------------
"What do you mean there's no
ice? You mean I gotta drink
this coffee HOT?!?"
--CLERKS
------------------------------

Joshua Nite

Feb 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/5/97

"D.Fresko" <D.Fr...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Frank W. Manning" <fman...@email.unc.edu> wrote:

>>Does anyone have any opinions on the very end of This film. Seth says
>>hes an asshole but he is not a fucking asshole. I know this means that
>>El Rey most be some rough ass town full of whiskey drinking bank robbing
>>criminals, but come on I mean this girl has just been through the
>>craziest, roughest, brutal, and violent ordeal imaginable,. what the
>>hell will she see or expierence in El rey that could even come aywhere
>>close to the shit she saw and did.
>>
>>Dont get me wrong I am a huge fan of tarantino and am a convinced he is
>>a genius, and i hope there is someone who could shed a little light on
>>this ending so I can better understand the overall effect of the film as
>>Tarantino intended it

>Tarantino intended for the viewer to have fun, not to look for subversity
>within the film.

I thought that the implication was he would eventually end up sleeping
with the girl if she went with him, and that that was implicit in the
girl's request. Thus the word 'fucking' has a double meaning.

Niteman

Justin McGill

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

How does this incorportate the ending of TR? Doesn't Alabama blow her head
off in the ending?

D.Fresko

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

mcg...@icok.net (Justin McGill) wrote:
>How does this incorportate the ending of TR? Doesn't Alabama blow her head
>off in the ending?

No, she thinks about commiting suicide, but instead, she throws the Nick
Fury comic and the gun into the trunk and drives off into the sunset.

Dave

Ryan Lowdermilk

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

> I thought that the implication was he would eventually end up sleeping
> with the girl if she went with him, and that that was implicit in the
> girl's request. Thus the word 'fucking' has a double meaning.
>
> Niteman

I don't know about that. I honestly just think that QT made this movie for
fun!!!

Sun

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97

Here's my take:

The public would freak out if Tarantino let the girl go with him. So
Tarantino folded and made the ending so that the girl would be safe, and
unmolested.

OR
--
"Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think."
--The Specials

Jerrell Herod

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

Frank W. Manning wrote:

> Does anyone have any opinions on the very end of This film. Seth says
> hes an asshole but he is not a fucking asshole. I know this means that
> El Rey most be some rough ass town full of whiskey drinking bank robbing
> criminals, but come on I mean this girl has just been through the
> craziest, roughest, brutal, and violent ordeal imaginable,. what the
> hell will she see or expierence in El rey that could even come aywhere
> close to the shit she saw and did.
>
> Dont get me wrong I am a huge fan of tarantino and am a convinced he is
> a genius, and i hope there is someone who could shed a little light on
> this ending so I can better understand the overall effect of the film as
> Tarantino intended it
There is no light that can be shed on this movie. This was a horrible
movie which tarantino should have had better sense than to write. The
first half of the movie up to the introduction of the vampire bar was a
decent, involved, tarantino-style flick with the satirical violent
scenes and flawed yet enthralling criminals. Yet all that this movie
could have been was flushed down the toilet as soon as it became a movie
I would expect from Ed Wood or Roger Corman. I think Quentin's
obsession with violence finally went overboard as he attempted to spew
out of his mind every sick and demented thought he ever had since he was
three. At least he didn't add nude sorority girls to the flick.

Waika

Eric

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

Me personaly, I don't care if Quentin went overboard with the gore.
This is one of my Best Movies. Quentin is the best in movie making,
he's great with his wittyness and his creative talent of making a movie
different for other peoples. And his dialogues are really interesting.

Eric

Eric Barnes

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

Jerrell Herod <he...@idir.net> wrote in article <330E86...@idir.net>...
: There is no light that can be shed on this movie. This was a horrible

: movie which tarantino should have had better sense than to write. The
: first half of the movie up to the introduction of the vampire bar was a
: decent, involved, tarantino-style flick with the satirical violent
: scenes and flawed yet enthralling criminals.

I totally disagree with you. I do believe the first half was of FDTD was
written and directed very good, but it was still to predictable. As soon
as they got to "vampire bar" is when all that changed. Q.T. threw
predictability out, and you had absolutely no idea what would happen next.
The second half of the movie was by far the best part of it.

: Yet all that this movie

: could have been was flushed down the toilet as soon as it became a movie
: I would expect from Ed Wood or Roger Corman. I think Quentin's
: obsession with violence finally went overboard as he attempted to spew
: out of his mind every sick and demented thought he ever had since he was
: three. At least he didn't add nude sorority girls to the flick.

It seems to me that you are more interested in the run of the mill,
predictable movies. Let me guess, you were hoping that they would all get
across the border and live happily ever after, right? Q.T. is not that
type of writer/director. He puts the unusual and the creativity into his
movies.
--
Eric Barnes

Http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6181/
(REdd Dogg's Web)

Http://www.geocities.com/CollegePark/6181/reservoir.htm
(Reservoir Dogs MegaPage)

Lower Wolf

Feb 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/23/97

If you can't enjoy a good, campy horror flick in addition to your
Tarantinoesque writing style, then that happens to be your problem. I found
it a brilliant movie, and a fine example of Robert Rodriguez's brilliant
direction.

Wolf

Jerrell Herod <he...@idir.net> wrote in article <330E86...@idir.net>...

> Frank W. Manning wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have any opinions on the very end of This film. Seth says
> > hes an asshole but he is not a fucking asshole. I know this means that
> > El Rey most be some rough ass town full of whiskey drinking bank
robbing
> > criminals, but come on I mean this girl has just been through the
> > craziest, roughest, brutal, and violent ordeal imaginable,. what the
> > hell will she see or expierence in El rey that could even come aywhere
> > close to the shit she saw and did.
> >
> > Dont get me wrong I am a huge fan of tarantino and am a convinced he is
> > a genius, and i hope there is someone who could shed a little light on
> > this ending so I can better understand the overall effect of the film
as
> > Tarantino intended it

> There is no light that can be shed on this movie. This was a horrible
> movie which tarantino should have had better sense than to write. The
> first half of the movie up to the introduction of the vampire bar was a
> decent, involved, tarantino-style flick with the satirical violent

> scenes and flawed yet enthralling criminals. Yet all that this movie

> could have been was flushed down the toilet as soon as it became a movie
> I would expect from Ed Wood or Roger Corman. I think Quentin's
> obsession with violence finally went overboard as he attempted to spew
> out of his mind every sick and demented thought he ever had since he was
> three. At least he didn't add nude sorority girls to the flick.
>

> Waika

Timothy & Rhonda Boykin

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Jerrell Herod wrote:

> There is no light that can be shed on this movie. This was a horrible
> movie which tarantino should have had better sense than to write. The
> first half of the movie up to the introduction of the vampire bar was a
> decent, involved, tarantino-style flick with the satirical violent
> scenes and flawed yet enthralling criminals. Yet all that this movie
> could have been was flushed down the toilet as soon as it became a movie
> I would expect from Ed Wood or Roger Corman. I think Quentin's
> obsession with violence finally went overboard as he attempted to spew
> out of his mind every sick and demented thought he ever had since he was
> three. At least he didn't add nude sorority girls to the flick.
>
> Waika

i'm reminded of a line from one of the simpson's halloween specials where
Bart is standing in front of a "dogs playing poker" painting and says,
"We had a story for this one but it was WAY TOO INTENSE, so we just
threw something together with vampires. Enjoy!"
yes, DUSK is lighter than the other films, content-wise. it's mostly a
bloodfest. but tarantino claims that he isn't only influenced by the
cutting edge art-house movies. a good number of his influences are the
older low budget b-films. movies that weren't going to win a nobel prize,
but were so over-the-top that they had a strange appeal to them. look at
some of the stuff Rolling Thunder is releasing: Cellblock Sisters,
Chungking Express, etc... alot of action, gore, and sex.
not only that, but according to a bio i've read on him, the script for
the movie was written in felt tip pen over the course of about three
weeks, so you know it wasn't going to be Dr. Zhivago, or anything like
that. it appears that tarantino was just stretching out and having a good
time with DUSK.
and, speaking for myself, his fun was my fun.

Jason Simpson

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Eric wrote:

> Jerrell Herod wrote:
> >
> > Frank W. Manning wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any opinions on the very end of This film. Seth says
> > > hes an asshole but he is not a fucking asshole. I know this means that
> > > El Rey most be some rough ass town full of whiskey drinking bank robbing
> > > criminals, but come on I mean this girl has just been through the
> > > craziest, roughest, brutal, and violent ordeal imaginable,. what the
> > > hell will she see or expierence in El rey that could even come aywhere
> > > close to the shit she saw and did.

> > > [deleted]

> > There is no light that can be shed on this movie. This was a horrible

[deleted rambling about how shitty the movie was]

> > three. At least he didn't add nude sorority girls to the flick.
> >
> > Waika
>

> Me personaly, I don't care if Quentin went overboard with the gore.
> This is one of my Best Movies. Quentin is the best in movie making,
> he's great with his wittyness and his creative talent of making a movie
> different for other peoples. And his dialogues are really interesting.
>
> Eric

First off, I agree, this wasn't one of his better movies. I thought it was
"silly" -the vampires and all- but I've learned with movie writer's, like
with women and friends and all kinds of other things in life, if you
really appreciate someone, you've got to take the good, the bad, and the
ugly. You learn from it, learn how Tarantino thinks, his mannerisms, how
he makes things, does things, reveals things, etc. Murder wasn't a very
good Hitchcock movie by a lot of standards but I still appreciate it just
because I know Hitchcock and so I can understand and see things in it,
little tags and things that just say 'I did this movie' and you know he
did it. Maybe it can help you understand that persons better movies.

As far as the ending of the movie: You've got to understand that Quentin
loved westerns, he loved John Wayne movies. You also have to understand
that Quentin didn't live his movies. Most people live a life and then
write about that life they lived. Quentin never robbed a diamond store or
shot someone or cut off someone's finger when he wouldn't tell them
something or did big drug deals- he loved movies so much that he just made
movies based on movies, not movies based on life. With that in mind, you
might see how in a classic western, the hero wouldn't take the girl with
him. Thats the analysis based on Quentin's style and influence. If we were
to throw all that aside, I dunno. I might say that he figured she was
young and had a whole life ahead of her. She didn't need to live in a town
with fugitives and criminals, she needed to go to proms(was she in high
school?) or go to college, or fall in love (Unless you can make the
arguement that she fell in love with him but that wouldn't be real love,
it would be some crush or infatuation created by the situation) I think
I'm rambling again and going off, sorry, overanalyzing a movie. Sometimes
people shouldn't do that :)

-Jason

Jon-Paul Smith

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Timothy & Rhonda Boykin (trbo...@web-access.net) wrote:
: Jerrell Herod wrote:
:
: > There is no light that can be shed on this movie. This was a horrible
: > movie which tarantino should have had better sense than to write. The

: > first half of the movie up to the introduction of the vampire bar was a
: > decent, involved, tarantino-style flick with the satirical violent
: > scenes and flawed yet enthralling criminals. Yet all that this movie
: > could have been was flushed down the toilet as soon as it became a movie
: > I would expect from Ed Wood or Roger Corman. I think Quentin's
: > obsession with violence finally went overboard as he attempted to spew
: > out of his mind every sick and demented thought he ever had since he was

: > three. At least he didn't add nude sorority girls to the flick.
: >
: > Waika
:
: i'm reminded of a line from one of the simpson's halloween specials where

Jon-Paul Smith

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

[...]

Agree totally. It is beyond me why people try to take this movie so
seriously. He was just having fun. I had fun watching it. Maybe people are
just taking THEMSELVES too seriously.

Pelham

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Tara Seeley wrote:

> > "Frank W. Manning" <fman...@email.unc.edu> wrote:
> > >Does anyone have any opinions on the very end of This film. Seth says
> > >hes an asshole but he is not a fucking asshole. I know this means that
> > >El Rey most be some rough ass town full of whiskey drinking bank robbing
> > >criminals, but come on I mean this girl has just been through the
> > >craziest, roughest, brutal, and violent ordeal imaginable,. what the
> > >hell will she see or expierence in El rey that could even come aywhere
> > >close to the shit she saw and did.
> > >
> > >Dont get me wrong I am a huge fan of tarantino and am a convinced he is
> > >a genius, and i hope there is someone who could shed a little light on
> > >this ending so I can better understand the overall effect of the film as
> > >Tarantino intended it
> >

> I took it as Seth denied Kate because she was much younger than
> him. She is no more than 17-18 and he looked to be at least in his mid to
> late 30's.

Did anyone else notice that Juliette Lewis has not aged in 10 years?
She looks the same now as she did in Cape Fear.

Richard

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Timothy & Rhonda Boykin wrote:

> Jerrell Herod wrote:
>
> > There is no light that can be shed on this movie. This was a horrible
> > movie which tarantino should have had better sense than to write. The
> > first half of the movie up to the introduction of the vampire bar was a
> > decent, involved, tarantino-style flick with the satirical violent
> > scenes and flawed yet enthralling criminals. Yet all that this movie
> > could have been was flushed down the toilet as soon as it became a movie
> > I would expect from Ed Wood or Roger Corman. I think Quentin's
> > obsession with violence finally went overboard as he attempted to spew
> > out of his mind every sick and demented thought he ever had since he was
> > three. At least he didn't add nude sorority girls to the flick.
> >
> > Waika
>
> i'm reminded of a line from one of the simpson's halloween specials where
> Bart is standing in front of a "dogs playing poker" painting and says,
> "We had a story for this one but it was WAY TOO INTENSE, so we just
> threw something together with vampires. Enjoy!"
> yes, DUSK is lighter than the other films, content-wise. it's mostly a
> bloodfest. but tarantino claims that he isn't only influenced by the
> cutting edge art-house movies. a good number of his influences are the
> older low budget b-films. movies that weren't going to win a nobel prize,
> but were so over-the-top that they had a strange appeal to them. look at
> some of the stuff Rolling Thunder is releasing: Cellblock Sisters,
> Chungking Express, etc... alot of action, gore, and sex.
> not only that, but according to a bio i've read on him, the script for
> the movie was written in felt tip pen over the course of about three
> weeks, so you know it wasn't going to be Dr. Zhivago, or anything like
> that. it appears that tarantino was just stretching out and having a good
> time with DUSK.
> and, speaking for myself, his fun was my fun.

I completely agree with you. I wish people would stop being so hard on
this movie. So
what if it isn't like Tarantino's other movies. Isn't he allowed to do
other stuff?
I myself am a huge fan of exploitation horror movies and think that this
one definately
qualifies as one of them. One of the better ones I might add. This is
because the best
screen writer ever wrote the whole thing and turned it into a
masterpiece. To any other
people like me who like From Dusk Till Dawn, if you have a laserdisc
player, buy the
Exclusive Director's Edition. It has a 95 minute program on the second
disc with cut
scenes, outtakes, interviews, trailers, music videos, movie stills, and
lots of commentary by Robert Rodriguez and Greg Nicotero. Also, on the
first disc, you can
switch between hearing the movie or hearing Quentin Tarantino and Robert
Rodriguez giving a commentary through the entire movie. Definitely
worth the money.

Richard

Ben Patrick

Feb 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/24/97

Jerrell Herod (he...@idir.net) writes:
> could have been was flushed down the toilet as soon as it became a movie
> I would expect from Ed Wood or Roger Corman. I think Quentin's
> obsession with violence finally went overboard as he attempted to spew
> out of his mind every sick and demented thought he ever had since he was
> three. At least he didn't add nude sorority girls to the flick.
>
> Waika

I disagree. If you were expecting a movie about vampire killers
than you would enjoy it, but from all the previews and stuff how could you
not? DId you think there would be a better way they would fighta barful
of vampires? I got
what I expected and I was entertained, and I can't wait for the sequels.
--
Ben Patrick
bp...@freenet.carleton.ca

Lower Wolf

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

Well, six years. But who's counting?

Wolf

Pelham <ape...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<5erupa$8...@mtinsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

Ron Yamauchi

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

Eric (e...@azstarnet.com) wrote:
: Jerrell Herod wrote:
: >
: > Frank W. Manning wrote:
: > >
: > > Does anyone have any opinions on the very end of This film. Seth says
: > > hes an asshole but he is not a fucking asshole. I know this means that
: > > El Rey most be some rough ass town full of whiskey drinking bank robbing
: > > criminals, but come on I mean this girl has just been through the
: > > craziest, roughest, brutal, and violent ordeal imaginable,. what the
: > > hell will she see or expierence in El rey that could even come aywhere
: > > close to the shit she saw and did.
: > >

Hey, I ONLY liked the vampire bar stuff. The rest was just annoying pat
psycho bank robber stuff, with some gawky no-name as Ritchie...terrible
actor that guy. Anyway, George Clooney sure was manly-looking. I agree
that the very ending was silly from a dialogue point of view but I think
that talking bit was only to give the audience a short breather from the
action before pulling back to the "shock" matte painting.

sk...@wam.umd.edu

Feb 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/25/97

> Pelham <ape...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
> <5erupa$8...@mtinsc03.worldnet.att.net>...

> says
> that
> robbing
> aywhere
> > > >

> > > I took it as Seth denied Kate because she was much younger than
> > > him. She is no more than 17-18 and he looked to be at least in his mid
> > > late 30's.

I got the impression that "Do you need some company?" was meant as a
romantic gesture, thus Clooney's response "I'm an asshole, but not a
fucking asshole." Of course, I could be completely misinterpreting that.

> > Did anyone else notice that Juliette Lewis has not aged in 10 years?
> > She looks the same now as she did in Cape Fear.

Why does everyone think Cape Fear was made a decade ago? It was released
in November 1991. Juliette Lewis is only 23. I thought it was supposed
to be a big in-joke that she is playing someone that much younger than
her and that she is playing this completely sweet, innocent daughter.
It's not exactly the impression the american public has of JL.

Joshua Nite

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

>There is no light that can be shed on this movie. This was a horrible
>movie which tarantino should have had better sense than to write. The
>first half of the movie up to the introduction of the vampire bar was a
>decent, involved, tarantino-style flick with the satirical violent
>scenes and flawed yet enthralling criminals. Yet all that this movie

>could have been was flushed down the toilet as soon as it became a movie
>I would expect from Ed Wood or Roger Corman. I think Quentin's
>obsession with violence finally went overboard as he attempted to spew
>out of his mind every sick and demented thought he ever had since he was
>three. At least he didn't add nude sorority girls to the flick.

Have you ever heard of CAMP, for god's sake? Being unbelievably
over-the-top for the sake of COMEDY? It works for directors from
Peter Jackson to Sam Raimi, it's a respected and respectable COMEDIC
thing to do. Tarantino wasn't glorifying violence, he was making fun
of violent films by taking them to illogical extremes.

Dumbass (nyeah nyeah)

Josh T.

Simpleton0

Feb 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/26/97

>Hey, I ONLY liked the vampire bar stuff. The rest was just annoying pat
>psycho bank robber stuff, with some gawky no-name as Ritchie...terrible
>actor that guy. Anyway, George Clooney sure was manly-looking. I agree
>that the very ending was silly from a dialogue point of view but I think
>that talking bit was only to give the audience a short breather from the
>action before pulling back to the "shock" matte painting.

Are you really that stupid? Or are you making a lame attempt at sarcasm?
Richie was played by a "gawky no-name" eh? Do you have any idea what
you're talking about?

Ron Yamauchi

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

Simpleton0 (simpl...@aol.com) wrote:
: >Hey, I ONLY liked the vampire bar stuff. The rest was just annoying pat

Why yes I really am that stupid. That's why I get paid to see movies and
you, well...

Tara Seeley

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

I fail to see how getting paid to see movies = an argument against
someone calling you stupid. I don't know. Maybe you really are a critic of
some sort or maybe you're just one of those people they pay to watch
videos and give your opinion on. It doesn't matter. We're all entitled to
our opinion. I mean, either you like FDTD or you don't. I don't buy into
that "if you see Tarantino's take on it" crap. You either like it or you
don't. I liked it. I actually found it more enjoyable to watch than Pulp
Fiction the first few times I saw it. No, I don't think it's on the level
of Pulp Fiction as far cinematically, but as far as pure movie
enjoyment/entertainment, I enjoyed FDTD more as an experience. I laughed
so much in that movie (especially the second time) that some of the
audience got scared of me and my friend.
That's something people don't really mention about that movie.
Didn't anyone think it was really funny? Come on, the scene where the guy
recounts his horrors in Vietnam and everyone just stands around staring at
him?

Matt Lynch

Feb 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/28/97

Frank W. Manning wrote:

> Does anyone have any opinions on the very end of This film. Seth says
> hes an asshole but he is not a fucking asshole. I know this means that
> El Rey most be some rough ass town full of whiskey drinking bank robbing
> criminals, but come on I mean this girl has just been through the
> craziest, roughest, brutal, and violent ordeal imaginable,. what the
> hell will she see or expierence in El rey that could even come aywhere
> close to the shit she saw and did.

You're close. On the commentary track of the SE laserdisc, Tarantino
says that he lifted the El Rey thing from an old Jim Thompson novel,
one of my personal favorites called "The Getaway". It's been turned
into a film twice, but an important element of the book has been left
out of both versions. The two main characters, Doc McCoy and his
wife, are trying to get away to a town in Mexico called El Rey. The
inference in the novel is that El Rey is sort of a last stop. You
need money to get in, you stay there until the money runs out, but you
never leave. I'm sure you get the picture. Tarantino said that it
always bugged him that El Rey was never depicted or mentioned, and he
always looked at it as a kind of "criminal hell". Ever notice that
after Seth says "I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fuckin' bastard",
Carlos says "Hey, Seth, time to go." Well, the idea here is that
Cheech is Satan, dragging Seth down to hell.. Not literally, but in a
figurative sense. He's taking Seth to hell, a place from which he'll
never return. He knows it, and that's why he says that to Kate. Make
sense?
----

MATT LYNCH

"How did cocaine suddenly appear in a form where you could
sell like a $2.00 hit? They could have made crack cocaine
in 1890 in New York but they didn't. It's not there in history.
Where the hell did that come from? That's a technology."

William Gibson, "Addicted to Noise" interview

DisneyGrl1

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

Just tossing in my two pennies. . . altho it's wonderful to sit and think
about why the director/writer (of any movie) did this thing or that thing
with a movie, it's sometimes not the best thing to overanalyze a movie,
especially if it's FDTD. Personally I found it to be an entertaining
movie with some great little plot twists. I can't really say there is any
point in the movie that I didn't enjoy. And, there are many scenes that
are in the running for fave moment, but I couldn't decide. Yes, I'm one
of those people who's looking forward to the prequel & sequel or whatever
they finally decide to make : )
DisneyGrl1

Oh yeah. . . I *do* think the convenience store clerk deserved that
Academy Award for his "acting" : P

Zaheer Mosam

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

In article <19970226203...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, Simpleton0
<simpl...@aol.com> writes
>Ron Yamauchi wrote :

>>Hey, I ONLY liked the vampire bar stuff. The rest was just annoying pat
>>psycho bank robber stuff, with some gawky no-name as Ritchie...terrible
>>actor that guy. Anyway, George Clooney sure was manly-looking. I agree
>>that the very ending was silly from a dialogue point of view but I think
>>that talking bit was only to give the audience a short breather from the
>>action before pulling back to the "shock" matte painting.
>
>Are you really that stupid? Or are you making a lame attempt at sarcasm?
>Richie was played by a "gawky no-name" eh? Do you have any idea what
>you're talking about?

An *attempt* at sarcasm can't be lame, if it results in someone in
taking it seriously ;-)

--
Zaheer Mosam

Roberto

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

In article <19970303082...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, disne...@aol.com (DisneyGrl1) wrote:

>Oh yeah. . . I *do* think the convenience store clerk deserved that
>Academy Award for his "acting" : P

I don't remember his name, but check him out in Rodriguez's TV flick
"Roadracers". He is just as great in it.

Robert - http://www.lanet.lv/~se52033

Darcy Love

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

Zaheer Mosam <Zah...@zedajs.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>--
>Zaheer Mosam

> Dusk to Dawn pissed me off, first of all they should of all been turned
to vampires or at least killed for the lame last rush at killing all
those monsters.
This is so because instead of using the enclosed confines of the hall
way to use to their advantage and kill each monster one by one. They
instead go out into the open and allow the vampires to use all their
unnature abilities to surrond, divide and kill the mortals. If they
didn't know, Clooney and co were grossly over matched and going into
the open allowed the vampires to use their number to their advantage.

cera...@ihug.co.nz

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

On 23 Feb 1997 11:56:57 GMT, "Lower Wolf" <za...@uclink4.berkeley.edu>
wrote:

>If you can't enjoy a good, campy horror flick in addition to your
>Tarantinoesque writing style, then that happens to be your problem. I found
>it a brilliant movie, and a fine example of Robert Rodriguez's brilliant
>direction.
>
>Wolf

With FDTD as evidence Robert Ridriguez can't direct.

Desperado was well directed, however.

FDTD is NOT "a good, campy horror flick" it's shit. The Evil Dead
Trilogy come much closer to fine.

oioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioi
-=/I Raise My Hand I Got Another Question,
If I Start A R I O T Will I Get Protection?
cause I’m the kid whose got a lotta problems,
I F Y O U T H R O W A B R I C K
Maybe The Brick Will Go And Solve Them,...,
See How We Do This? See How We Ride?
Throw A Brick, Light A Fuse, Dodge A Bullet,
Duck Inside,..., My Face Is Burning So Quick,
Burning Like A Candle At The End Of Its Wick,
Well, I Turn The Dial, I Turn The C H A N N E L,
I Turn It To A Monster Fighting The Eternal Battle,
I Need S O M E H E L P And There’s No Doubt Now,
If I’m Gonna Go Down I’m Gonna TAKE SOMEBODY OUT\=-
oioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioi
Mike Allender /=> cera...@ihug.co.nz <=\ check daily on avrg
/=> iwann...@usa.net <=\ check weekly on avrg
oioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioi

cera...@ihug.co.nz

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 23:40:57 -0600, Jerrell Herod <he...@idir.net>
wrote:

> I think Quentin's obsession with violence finally went overboard as he
>attempted to spew out of his mind every sick and demented thought
>he ever had since he was three. At least he didn't add nude sorority
>girls to the flick.
>

>Waika

Firstly, all early QT is simple. Stand's to reason, really. Any writer
is bound to improve, it's just that the order of the scripts made into
movies ain't chrono like, man.

Secondly, you say "he attempted to spew out of his mind every sick and
demented thought he ever had since he was three". Try "spewed out
moments from movies made from when quentin was three".

The Pump Action Shotgun Reload Via Torso Gag was used in a little
known New Zealand, yet cult revered, movie called Bad Taste by and
starring Peter Jackson. [see cliff scene /w uzi]. <=- great stuff,
btw, one of my all-time-fav-movies.

oioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioi
-=/I Raise My Hand I Got Another Question,

If I Start A Riot Will I Get Protection?
Cause I’m The Kid Whose Got A Lotta Problems,

I F Y O U T H R O W A B R I C K
Maybe The Brick Will Go And Solve Them,...,
See How We Do This? See How We Ride?
Throw A Brick, Light A Fuse, Dodge A Bullet,
Duck Inside,..., My Face Is Burning So Quick,
Burning Like A Candle At The End Of Its Wick,

Well, I Turn The Dial, I Turn The Channel,

I Turn It To A Monster Fighting The Eternal Battle,

I Need Some Help And There’s No Doubt Now,
If I’m Gonna Go Down I’m Gonna Take Somebody Out\=-
oioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioi
Mike Allender /=> cera...@ihug.co.nz /=> iwann...@usa.net
oioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioioi

elo...@gmail.com

Feb 27, 2016, 6:37:44 PM2/27/16
thankyou ive been looking for answers about that for the longest while....

jerryricet...@gmail.com

Apr 8, 2016, 1:39:03 AM4/8/16
Yes I agree

Dominiq...@yahoo.com

Oct 15, 2016, 7:33:39 PM10/15/16
He promised the father in the beginning that she would not get molested by his brother and after all that happened because of him he couldn't go back on his word. Also it could have something to do with the literal meaning of El ray which means the sun. I felt like Carlos was a ferry man ushering George Clooney to his death " come on Seth time to go" and " I'll follow you" and then he uncomfortably laughs...it's like he knows this is the end of the line..