About Mina the Moongoose

Julie G. Fallner

Oct 23, 2001, 6:43:49 PM10/23/01
Is there anyone here who actually likes this Mina the Moongoose
character in the Sonic comics? She's one of the reasons why I gave up
on the comics. It's like the writers were trying to tease us about a
Sonic/Mina pairing. And from the looks of things they still are. I
don't like Mina.

Remember the cover of #94? It featured Sonic, Tails, and Mina.
Another reason I gave up on the comics, it had to have some obscure
stories like Sonic being in high school. And who happens to be in the
same class? You guessed it, Mina. Is it possible that maybe some
fans out there actually gave up on Sally so they brought in Mina?
Think about that.

Yours truly,

Julie 'The Nimrod' Fallner

P.S. Don't forget to email me at: nimr...@mail.com

Zones

Oct 23, 2001, 7:23:29 PM10/23/01

Julie G. Fallner <nimr...@mail.com> wrote in message

> Another reason I gave up on the comics, it had to have some obscure
> stories like Sonic being in high school.

Sonic's in SCHOOL now?

Bloody hell, I didn't realise the Archie series was THIS bad.

I take it that Bollers fancies himself as a Spider-Man writer, but never
actually got further than a short, bad, Black Cat story for the 1995
Spider-Man Holiday Special. So now he intends to turn Sonic into his own
ripoff of Spider-Man, only not written quite as well.

And I thought Lew Stringer was bad.

/)_.
--
"MADE IN TAIWAN" -- Amazing Spider-Man

Alex Weitzman

Oct 24, 2001, 11:45:51 AM10/24/01
nimr...@mail.com (Julie G. Fallner) done did babble:

> Is there anyone here who actually likes this Mina the Moongoose
> character in the Sonic comics? She's one of the reasons why I gave up
> on the comics. It's like the writers were trying to tease us about a
> Sonic/Mina pairing. And from the looks of things they still are. I
> don't like Mina.
>
> Remember the cover of #94? It featured Sonic, Tails, and Mina.
> Another reason I gave up on the comics, it had to have some obscure
> stories like Sonic being in high school. And who happens to be in the
> same class? You guessed it, Mina. Is it possible that maybe some
> fans out there actually gave up on Sally so they brought in Mina?
> Think about that.

I can't say I'm the most qualified to answer the question, having not
read an issue of the Archie comic since Endgame, but from what I've
heard about Mina, it seems that this is Ken's roundabout way of doing
what he wanted to do with Endgame in the first place.

I assume at least some of you guys know this story, but I'll relate it
for those who don't. Ken Penders wanted Sally dead. (Not in the way
SONIC FAN kept referring to it, but that's another story now, isn't
it?) I always suspected that it might have been due to Geoffrey St.
John, the Penders avatar character. Since the skunk wasn't ever
accepted by the fans as a romantic alternative to Sonic, he may have
been operating out of a "if I can't have her, no one can" state.
Still, his idea had maybe a little bit of merit, in the fact that he
did want to accurately represent Sonic's loss. He was even going to
have Sally seem to come alive, but then within 10 issues or so, she'd
be revealed as a robot in disguise and the truth would be that Sally
is dead.

But then Sega jumped in. Now, I'm also pretty sure that Sega doesn't
necessarily have a lot of love for Sally, or indeed the whole SatAM
universe. SatAM was always reaching towards something they didn't want
Sonic to be, and they've always felt that the comics are advertising
and nothing else. (Of course, this is an obvious willful ignorance
towards the fans, who, back in the SatAM days and even still, said
that SatAM was a step for Sonic that they supported greatly.) But at
the time of issues #47-50, the Saturn was in a slump and no real new
Sonic games were coming out. Thus, the SA characters and world didn't
exist, and Sega had two reactions to Endgame's implications: A) They
didn't want to lose what characters they had left for Sonic, even if
it was Sally, and B) they CERTAINLY didn't want Sonic crying the comic
up. So, all Ken's plans were scrapped.

And now we've got SA and SA2. I'll bet that, if Endgame were to happen
now, Sega wouldn't mind Sally's death one bit. SA did a lot to
eliminate SatAM and Sally, with the creation of a new world for Sonic
to inhabit and adding to the feminine figure of Amy, which took care
of the jailbait aspect of Amy (and made Mach's drool get all over the
AFSH floor). So, to my knowledge, the comics have been listening to
Sega's people, who've been saying "Make a distance between Sonic and
Sally. We don't want them together."

Penders and Bollers shrug and throw together a mongoose. Mina.
Goddammit, I've read the description of this character and seen a few
scans from her issues, and how the hell do they expect to get away
with this?! Can we say "deus ex machina"? She's such a melding of
character points that to merely look at her feels insipid! She runs
fast, like Sonic. She goes to school (and probably isn't doing that
well, but I don't know for sure) on Mobius. She's childish and girlie.

ARTAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's fan character crap. Mina is pure fan character crap. And she's
there to drive the nail into SatAM's coffin. Isn't the cover of #99
something like Sonic and Mina holding hands in the background while
Sally walks sullenly away? That's just bullshit.

So, to actually answer your question, Julie, it's not that the fans
necessarily gave up on Sally. It's that Sega gave up on Sally.

In which case, I say she's public domain. Sally is ours.

Alex Weitzman

"They have venison, you know." "You mean Bambi?" - Stop Kiss

Pritty Toni

Oct 26, 2001, 10:57:26 PM10/26/01

>Is there anyone here who actually likes this Mina the Moongoose
>character in the Sonic comics? She's one of the reasons why I gave up
>on the comics. It's like the writers were trying to tease us about a
>Sonic/Mina pairing. And from the looks of things they still are. I
>don't like Mina.

No, I don't like Mina very much....

In fact, I don't like anyone from Archie very much (with the exception of the
original SatAM characers).

I'm bias.... I'm a very bad girl. *pout*

By the way, I STILL think they copied Mina's name form Sailor Moon!

Posted by Pritty Toni!
~~~~~~~~~
Toni Ferraro
Producer and Director of NAoStH
http://www.atlantiscity.net/naosth/index2.html
~~~~~~~~~
Knuckles&Rouge 4-eva! ^^

Julie G. Fallner

Oct 27, 2001, 6:42:51 PM10/27/01
Pretti Toni wrote:

> No, I don't like Mina very much....
>
> In fact, I don't like anyone from Archie very much (with the exception of the
> original SatAM characers).
>
> I'm bias.... I'm a very bad girl. *pout*
>
> By the way, I STILL think they copied Mina's name form Sailor Moon!
>
> Posted by Pritty Toni!
> ~~~~~~~~~
> Toni Ferraro
> Producer and Director of NAoStH
> http://www.atlantiscity.net/naosth/index2.html
> ~~~~~~~~~
> Knuckles&Rouge 4-eva! ^^

Hi, Toni. I don't blame you at all for disliking Mina. All she
is is a character created to get in the way of Sonic and Sally. And I
agree with Alex wholeheartedly. Oh, and BTW, Toni, I noticed your
last name, are you Italian?

Pritty Toni

Oct 28, 2001, 10:38:30 AM10/28/01
>Oh, and BTW, Toni, I noticed your
>last name, are you Italian?

It's-a me! Toni!

Nah. Actually my father's side of the family are decendents (however you spell
it...) of Italians.

My grandmother is 100% dutch. She told me herself.

Dane Martin

Oct 28, 2001, 12:33:55 PM10/28/01
Toni wrote:

>>Oh, and BTW, Toni, I noticed your
>>last name, are you Italian?
>
>It's-a me! Toni!

Heheheeh. Gotta love the exagerated Italian stereotype in us all.

>Nah. Actually my father's side of the family are decendents (however you
>spell
>it...) of Italians.

Actually, I'm... like, 25 precent Italian myself (my last name, "Martino", was
changed to "Martin" a couple of generations ago, because Italians were treated
poorly... or... something...)

>My grandmother is 100% dutch. She told me herself.

Ooh, cool.

<snip>

>Knuckles&Rouge 4-eva! ^^

I *knew* some kind of cult following would start! ;)
______________________
Dane "Danehog" Martin
b a n d w i t h w a s t e r
--
dan...@aol.com
E-mail me. Why? Because I like toast.

Danielle Pluzsik

Apr 28, 2018, 4:36:49 PM4/28/18
Mina the Mongoose, dammit. And also? 7 or 8 years later, "Sonic, Sonic" would be unleashed (no pun intended) into the world, thus sealing the deal that Amy, Sally, and Mina are FUCKING BADASS.

- Bumping an old thread for the hell of it,
Lord Danielle Pluzsik the Inheritor (single-handedly revived The Jihad to Destroy Barney and forever attracted to Shadow)