Sonic Adventure Plot - Water Based Products need not apply.

Johnny Wallbank

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
Hi all...

Just picked this liitle bit of info up from www.game-online.com, which
is the plot for Sonic Adventure... as stated in the title, water based
products need not apply.

THE PLOT

Dr Robotnik is back once again. This time, he’s been busy in South
America (??? - Sonikku) , unearthing a deadly, primal force known
simply as Chaos. This elemental force is responsible for drowning an
entire city, wreaking terrible destruction in its wake. You might have
seen an Abyss-style lizard/ water hybrid creature in some of the
leaked Sonic Adventure materials (The picture that was proclaimed
'unofficial' for a short time, before Sonic Team proved it was from
Sonic Adventure, some call it 'The Water Dragon' -- Sonikku) . Yup,
that’s Chaos all right. Robotnik has been feeding him with crystals to
boost his power, and now it’s time for Sonic to step into the fray to
defeat Chaos, his minions and of course, Dr Robotnik himself.

--
Sonikku
ANTI SPAM - REPLY TO SONI...@CABLEOL.CO.UK

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98

> Dr Robotnik is back once again. This time, he’s been busy in South
> America (??? - Sonikku) , unearthing a deadly, primal force known

Wahah!!! See, it's just like I have always said (Did I ever say this here?)
Mobius is nonexistant in Japan, they always just assumed it was earth.
Nowhere in any of the games does it ever mention the term "Mobius," not in
the manuals or otherwise. It's an invention of US comics and cartoons,
kyahah!!! <evil laughter fills the air> So no more of this "Mobius of the
Sky" for you anime-talkin' guys either! It's Heaven's Continent!

Speaking of the eggman, have you guys seen the new picture of him? Freaky
like new Sonic! Weeeiiirrrdddd!!!!!

Johnny Wallbank

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
>Wahah!!! See, it's just like I have always said (Did I ever say this here?)
>Mobius is nonexistant in Japan, they always just assumed it was earth.
>Nowhere in any of the games does it ever mention the term "Mobius," not in
>the manuals or otherwise. It's an invention of US comics and cartoons,
>kyahah!!! <evil laughter fills the air> So no more of this "Mobius of the
>Sky" for you anime-talkin' guys either! It's Heaven's Continent!
>
>Speaking of the eggman, have you guys seen the new picture of him? Freaky
>like new Sonic! Weeeiiirrrdddd!!!!!

Err.. no... you see, Sonic Adventure is delibrately NOT being set in
Mobius, this time, it's officialy set on Earth. It's true!

So THAT'S what was meant by the South America bit! Maybe this will
finally destroy this Earth/Mobius seperate thing...

Goto
http://www.game-online.com
for more information, that's where I got mine!

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98

> Err.. no... you see, Sonic Adventure is delibrately NOT being set in
> Mobius, this time, it's officialy set on Earth. It's true!

Isn't that what I said? My point however, was that this is the first time
the game actually confirms the planet we are on. No other game, manual or
otherwise, nothing official, has ever said that Sonic lived on some funky
planet called Mobius. So if suddenly it's obvious that we're on Earth, isn't
it reasonable to say we've always been on Earth?

> So THAT'S what was meant by the South America bit! Maybe this will
> finally destroy this Earth/Mobius seperate thing...

> http://www.game-online.com
> for more information, that's where I got mine!

Keeping that in, the info is indeed very nice there ^_^

David Bulmer

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <6rmque$q0i$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, icky...@hotmail.com
writes

> So no more of this "Mobius of the
>Sky" for you anime-talkin' guys either! It's Heaven's Continent!

It's what?

>Speaking of the eggman, have you guys seen the new picture of him? Freaky
>like new Sonic! Weeeiiirrrdddd!!!!!

No, I haven't. Please show me the URL!! I think Eggman's
brilliant, I have to see it.
--
David Bulmer

David Bulmer

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <6rnk6u$g7r$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, icky...@hotmail.com
writes

>> Err.. no... you see, Sonic Adventure is delibrately NOT being set in
>> Mobius, this time, it's officialy set on Earth. It's true!
>
>Isn't that what I said? My point however, was that this is the first time
>the game actually confirms the planet we are on. No other game, manual or
>otherwise, nothing official, has ever said that Sonic lived on some funky
>planet called Mobius. So if suddenly it's obvious that we're on Earth, isn't
>it reasonable to say we've always been on Earth?
Yes but what Johnny's saying is that it's on Earth INSTEAD of
the usual planet. But I'm prepared to believe either theory.
--
David Bulmer

Alessandro Sanasi

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
On 22 Aug 98, icky...@hotmail.com wrote:

> > Dr Robotnik is back once again. This time, heÆs been busy in South

> > America (??? - Sonikku) , unearthing a deadly, primal force known
>

> Wahah!!! See, it's just like I have always said (Did I ever say this here?)
> Mobius is nonexistant in Japan, they always just assumed it was earth.
> Nowhere in any of the games does it ever mention the term "Mobius," not in
> the manuals or otherwise.

IMHO it was a *STUPID* move of SOJ to let the Sonic Adventure game play on
Earth. True, nowhere was it mentioned in Japanese manuals that Sonic's
world is called Mobius, but if you look at *ANY* of the games, it's
obvious that it can't be Earth either.

The Green Hill Zone, the Floating Island with its bouncing mushrooms,
Never Lake, the Miracle Planet, the hovering Golden Rings, the Chaos
Emeralds, the Time Stones, did _anything_ of that even _slightly_ resemble
anything that can be found on Earth?

No? :)

Bye

Alessandro
---
You get what anyone gets. You get a lifetime.

Zuckuss199

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Think of the Mario continuity, Ales.
The Mushroom Kingdom is supposed to be on Earth, too.
Floating Question Mark Boxes, Giant floating coins, floating/spinnign
platforms...

Jose Solano

JanusEZeal

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
There aren't huge, blue hedgehogs on earth either. Besides, it's probably a
future or alternative earth.
Waiting for Sparkster 3....

Look it's my Sonic Code! Can you guess who I don't like?

StH JJ1 Son++ Sal++^ Tal->++t Bun+++" Ant--->+ Knu+++i Amy+ KAc-------->---
Ath+ JlS+++ Nack+++ WkS+++ AdS-- Arc++ P+ D{w}[w]of $+++ E27 Ee17 Eee11 A11 GM
CoMA

MachHedge

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
>Speaking of the eggman, have you guys seen the new picture of him? Freaky
>like new Sonic! Weeeiiirrrdddd!!!!!

No... Sonic doesn't look diffrent at all, It's just the way He's SUPPOST to
look. You can't look ay Sonic R and 3D blast and think That's the way he is in
3D, because It's not. I think He looks the same, or at least the same way he is
in the Games, only 3D. As for Eggman...

~~Mach Hedgehog~~
With half his brain tied
behind his back, for no
reason whatsoever.

The Chaos Emerald

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Alessandro Sanasi wrote...

>IMHO it was a *STUPID* move of SOJ to let the Sonic Adventure game play on
>Earth. True, nowhere was it mentioned in Japanese manuals that Sonic's
>world is called Mobius, but if you look at *ANY* of the games, it's
>obvious that it can't be Earth either.
>
>The Green Hill Zone, the Floating Island with its bouncing mushrooms,
>Never Lake, the Miracle Planet, the hovering Golden Rings, the Chaos
>Emeralds, the Time Stones, did _anything_ of that even _slightly_ resemble
>anything that can be found on Earth?
>
>No? :)

But who knows what the future will, bring, eh? Since Sonic occurs in a
post-apocalyptic future, lots of things could change from now. And also,
this IS a video game, and even the ones that occur on Earth aren't entirely
realistic.

The Chaos Emerald

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <199808240127...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

Yeah. And have you ever read the original Mario plot? "A brave man named
Mario heard of [The Mushroom Kingdom's] plight and set out to save them."
There's absolutely nothing more to it then that.. Well, there is the
explaination of this "plight" but that's it.

David Bulmer

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <199808240314...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, MachHedge
<mach...@aol.com> writes

>>Speaking of the eggman, have you guys seen the new picture of him? Freaky
>>like new Sonic! Weeeiiirrrdddd!!!!!
>
>No... Sonic doesn't look diffrent at all, It's just the way He's SUPPOST to
>look. You can't look ay Sonic R and 3D blast and think That's the way he is in
>3D, because It's not. I think He looks the same, or at least the same way he is
>in the Games, only 3D. As for Eggman...

Personally I think Eggman looks the same as well, he's just put
a jacket thing on that looks a lot better than the previous design. He's
got better shoes as well now. Sonic looks more or less the same, except
of course we now know he has green eyes, and the spines on his head seem
longer and ugly.
--
David Bulmer

David Bulmer

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <6-THq...@deco.franken.de>, Alessandro Sanasi
<ty...@deco.franken.de> writes

>On 22 Aug 98, icky...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
>> > Dr Robotnik is back once again. This time, heÆs been busy in South
>> > America (??? - Sonikku) , unearthing a deadly, primal force known
>>
>> Wahah!!! See, it's just like I have always said (Did I ever say this here?)
>> Mobius is nonexistant in Japan, they always just assumed it was earth.
>> Nowhere in any of the games does it ever mention the term "Mobius," not in
>> the manuals or otherwise.
>
>IMHO it was a *STUPID* move of SOJ to let the Sonic Adventure game play on
>Earth. True, nowhere was it mentioned in Japanese manuals that Sonic's
>world is called Mobius, but if you look at *ANY* of the games, it's
>obvious that it can't be Earth either.
>
>The Green Hill Zone, the Floating Island with its bouncing mushrooms,
>Never Lake, the Miracle Planet, the hovering Golden Rings, the Chaos
>Emeralds, the Time Stones, did _anything_ of that even _slightly_ resemble
>anything that can be found on Earth?
>
>No? :)

He's right. And don't think I'm saying that because I'm pro-
Mobius, (although to a degree I am,) because I'm prepared to believe
either explanation. But what I think's happened here is that Sonic is on
Earth during Sonic Adventure, and that's it. I don't know WHY he is.
I agree that it was a stupid move to put Sonic Adventure on
Earth for the main reason that Earth is so much more boring than (what I
shall call for the sake of argument) Mobius. Even with Eggman around,
I'd LOVE to live on the Sonic Team's Mobius! It's such a great place!
Well, except the Egyptian level whose name eludes me for the moment.
That's a boring Zone. I'd like to live on the Miracle Planet actually...
Or somewhere in the Hill Zones. I always thought Green and Emerald Hill
were sort of next to each other, or even the same Zone just divided.
They're so alike.
Anyway! I'm rambling. It's just that Earth is no place for
Sonic. He doesn't fit among our society. Type thing.
--
David Bulmer

David Bulmer

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <199808240127...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, Zuckuss199
<zucku...@aol.com> writes

>Think of the Mario continuity, Ales.
>The Mushroom Kingdom is supposed to be on Earth, too.
It is?! Aaaaa! I always assumed the Mushroom Kingdom was a sort
of... Idunno, seperate dimension in itself perhaps. Idunno. Anyway.
--
David Bulmer

RazJMastrs

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <WBs2mUAx...@bulmers.demon.co.uk>, David Bulmer
<da...@bulmers.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Personally I think Eggman looks the
>same as well, he's just put a jacket thing
>on that looks a lot better than the previous
>design.

Which leads me to asking.. could someone
send me a picture which clearly shows this
'new' Eggman design? I still can't get on the
'net (and, although the thought is appreciated,
please don't anybody try to help me.. I know
what's wrong, but need to buy everything I'll
need in order to back up my system before
a full restore), so I can't get it myself. It'd be
greatly appreciated, plus some of my friends
have already sent me some extravagant pics.
I'm definitely eager to see more. In fact, I'm
already making it a point to buy the Dream-
cast, even if -only- for Sonic Adventure, at
first.. but I'm betting that I won't be let down,
far as following game releases go.

>He's got better shoes as well now. Sonic
>looks more or less the same, except of
>course we now know he has green eyes,

Brown.. -brown-! Why.. oh -why- did they..
make his eyes.. GREEN?! Don't those
fools know that green is the -root- of ALL
evil?!

>and the spines on his head seem longer
>and ugly.

I take personal offense to that. One of my
characters has those kinda long and ugly
quills.. but it was, uh, intentional, so, um..
you're forgiven.

I feel like I'm in an unfunny period in my
life.

-=(Raz Masters
,------------------------------------------------------------------,
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
-=[]` http://members.aol.com/RazJMastrs/ `[]=-
-[] http://members.tripod.com/~SonicSector []-

Hack Emery

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
> >IMHO it was a *STUPID* move of SOJ to let the Sonic Adventure game play on
> >Earth. True, nowhere was it mentioned in Japanese manuals that Sonic's
> >world is called Mobius, but if you look at *ANY* of the games, it's
> >obvious that it can't be Earth either.
> >
> >The Green Hill Zone, the Floating Island with its bouncing mushrooms,
> >Never Lake, the Miracle Planet, the hovering Golden Rings, the Chaos
> >Emeralds, the Time Stones, did _anything_ of that even _slightly_ resemble
> >anything that can be found on Earth?
> >
> >No? :)
>
> But who knows what the future will, bring, eh? Since Sonic occurs in a
> post-apocalyptic future, lots of things could change from now. And also,
> this IS a video game, and even the ones that occur on Earth aren't entirely
> realistic.
>
> The Chaos Emerald

Um, I don't believe that it was stated that this game is a post-apocalyptic
future. Yes, it would make sense. Yes, it would be a reasonable assumption.
But the point remains: it COULD be placed in current times. Something I doubt
will happen, and I certainly wouldn't like much, but it COULD. We don't know
either way. It might be best to refrain from making assumptions until the
actual evidence is before us.

- Hack -

Adrian Tymes

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

Actually, that's exactly right. According to the "official" sources
(i.e., media that Nintendo approved for release and/or created), the
Mario Brothers went through a looong series of pipes that included a
dimensional warp. The Mushroom Kingdom is within hiking distance of the
Earth (providing you can find a warp), but it, itself, is not actually
on the Earth.

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

> Anyway! I'm rambling. It's just that Earth is no place for
> Sonic. He doesn't fit among our society. Type thing.

I'm actually quite sure that when you play Sonic Adventure, we'll see that he
fits right in, and in the game, it's bound to appear that he has always been
there, thwarting Dr. Robotnik's schemes. All the zones previous to this have
been on Earth, just because the backgrounds are totally crazy is no reason to
say it's another planet. Sonic fits into out society just like any other
Superhero does.. Well, more like the Tick, since he's got no alter ego.. He
just hangs out, and when there's trouble, kabang, he's off!! And why do you
think he hangs out in the Green Hill areas? That's his escape from out
society ^_^

You just have to remember that it's not real.. Sonic would never fit into
real life, but in a game world, it's perfectly alright. The world might be
different, but it is (and in my opinion, always has been) Earth. I'll betcha
anything that (unless as a joke) nobody Sonic ever talks to will think it
strange that a hedgehog is talking to them, or that he is blue,
anthropomorphic, and very fast. That's just the way it is, simple and ideal.

Michael Stearns

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

> Personally I think Eggman looks the same as well, he's just put

> a jacket thing on that looks a lot better than the previous design. He's

> got better shoes as well now. Sonic looks more or less the same, except

> of course we now know he has green eyes, and the spines on his head seem
> longer and ugly.

I think the difference is just the artist, who is going for a more stylized
look. Sonic's spines still don't look as ugly as they do on US box art..
(You know, round head, hard line between it and the spines..) More
exaggeration, wacky poses, etc. The green eyes and grin make himn look a tad
crazy, but it is just character art (Reminds me of Crash. But you know, in
game, Crash's attitude is totally different from the advertising..). Sonic
in-game looks pefectly normal, just 3D. The shoes can be easily explained
enough, before, the soles of his feet have never been a big deal, you never
saw them. But suddenly in 3D, you're seeling them all the time, so they
decided to do something really obvious to "set the standard." Before now, no
two people would have drawn Sonic's sole's the same way, or at least would
never be able to say for sure, with no doubt, what they looked like. But
Sonic Adventure's new Sonic gives us something definite.

Snowflake Fox

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
> But who knows what the future will, bring, eh? Since Sonic occurs in a
> post-apocalyptic future, lots of things could change from now. And also,
> this IS a video game, and even the ones that occur on Earth aren't entirely
> realistic.
>
> The Chaos Emerald

Classic example: Ecco the Dolphin and Ecco: The Tides of Time. Since
when do you see a dolphin time travel!?

~Snowflake Fox

David Bulmer

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <6rut4d$gvf$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, icky...@hotmail.com
writes

>> Anyway! I'm rambling. It's just that Earth is no place for
>> Sonic. He doesn't fit among our society. Type thing.
>
>I'm actually quite sure that when you play Sonic Adventure, we'll see that he
>fits right in, and in the game, it's bound to appear that he has always been
>there, thwarting Dr. Robotnik's schemes. All the zones previous to this have
>been on Earth, just because the backgrounds are totally crazy is no reason to
>say it's another planet.
Yeah but it's not the backgrounds that make one think "Mobius"
(used in this context as simply a name for whatever planet has been used
up 'till now, for sake of argument, be it Earth or not,) isn't Earth.
It's the Floating Island, the Miracle Planet, the Chaos Emeralds, etc.
--
David Bulmer

The Chaos Emerald

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
Snowflake Fox wrote...

>> But who knows what the future will, bring, eh? Since Sonic occurs in a
>> post-apocalyptic future, lots of things could change from now. And also,
>> this IS a video game, and even the ones that occur on Earth aren't
entirely
>> realistic.
>
>Classic example: Ecco the Dolphin and Ecco: The Tides of Time. Since
>when do you see a dolphin time travel!?

Since when do you goto Atlantis and use their time machine to travel back in
time and **************************? (blocked out to not reveal plot)

The Chaos Emerald

TimeStones

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
> Yeah but it's not the backgrounds that make one think "Mobius"
>(used in this context as simply a name for whatever planet has been used
>up 'till now, for sake of argument, be it Earth or not,) isn't Earth.
>It's the Floating Island, the Miracle Planet, the Chaos Emeralds, etc.

But think about that. If Mobius (used for the same reson you used it) and Earth
are two seperate planets, then how does Robotnik find anchient talismans (sp?)
that tell how to unlock the power of the Chaos Emeralds ON EARTH if they are
only ON MOBIUS!?!

** * TimeStones* * *
** * ***

"Danger on the rising..."

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

> Yeah but it's not the backgrounds that make one think "Mobius"
> (used in this context as simply a name for whatever planet has been used
> up 'till now, for sake of argument, be it Earth or not,) isn't Earth.
> It's the Floating Island, the Miracle Planet, the Chaos Emeralds, etc.

> --
> David Bulmer

Well, just to make a crazy example, DuckTales occurs on Earth, right?
They've got weird ball-creatures living underground, societies of fishmen
living in Atlantis' ruins, etc... Since it ain't real, you can take all
kinds of crazy liberties with it. To make a less crazy example, look at,
say, Indiana Jones.. Just because there's some ancient relic out there (the
lost ark) that kills oodles of people with it's creepy powers, are we not on
Earth? (I'm thinking of a Chaos Emerald comparison here) ...it's the same
thing as with the different backgrounds and humanoid furries, they are just
there, just there on earth ^_^

Let's not pick on my "lack of knowledge," but what's this "Miracle Planet?" I
recognize the name, but it's no Little Planet...

David Bulmer

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <199808261321...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, TimeStones
<times...@aol.com> writes

>> Yeah but it's not the backgrounds that make one think "Mobius"
>>(used in this context as simply a name for whatever planet has been used
>>up 'till now, for sake of argument, be it Earth or not,) isn't Earth.
>>It's the Floating Island, the Miracle Planet, the Chaos Emeralds, etc.
>
>But think about that. If Mobius (used for the same reson you used it) and Earth
>are two seperate planets, then how does Robotnik find anchient talismans (sp?)
>that tell how to unlock the power of the Chaos Emeralds ON EARTH if they are
>only ON MOBIUS!?!

Oh I'm not denying they're not on Earth NOW. I'm also not
denying specifically that they've not always been, I'm just showing the
evidence that leads me to believe that previously they've been
elsewhere. Rather than wanting it to be that way, I just think the
evidence shows it is. It seems to me they're now on Earth. Don't ask me
why.
--
David Bulmer

Rickey Marsh

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98

>Um, I don't believe that it was stated that this game is a post-apocalyptic
>future. Yes, it would make sense. Yes, it would be a reasonable
assumption.
>But the point remains: it COULD be placed in current times. Something I
doubt
>will happen, and I certainly wouldn't like much, but it COULD. We don't
know
>either way. It might be best to refrain from making assumptions until the
>actual evidence is before us.
>
>- Hack -

Woah, perhaps it's another dimension. The world may never know...

~Jaquel
"If at first you don't succeed, ...take hostages!"
http://come.to/outerpages

David Bulmer

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <6s1kfj$qib$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, icky...@hotmail.com
writes

>Let's not pick on my "lack of knowledge," but what's this "Miracle Planet?" I
>recognize the name, but it's no Little Planet...
It's the Japanese/European name for the same planet. Once again,
Sega of America decided to "improve" on Sonic CD, and therefore named
the Miracle Planet the "Little" Planet. One wonders sometimes about the
viability of the SoA staff's collective brainpower.
--
David Bulmer

Alessandro Sanasi

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On 24 Aug 98, zucku...@aol.com (Zuckuss199) wrote:

> Think of the Mario continuity, Ales.
> The Mushroom Kingdom is supposed to be on Earth, too.

> Floating Question Mark Boxes, Giant floating coins, floating/spinnign
> platforms...

Actually, if I remember the cartoon series right, then Mario and Lugi were
'sucked' into a drainpipe and went through a 'dimensional warp' to go
there. Be it as it may, I doubt anyone would think of mushrooms or Koopas
running around in New York as very fitting... same goes for Sonic.

MachHedge

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
>Actually, if I remember the cartoon series right, then Mario and Lugi were
>'sucked' into a drainpipe and went through a 'dimensional warp' to go
>there. Be it as it may, I doubt anyone would think of mushrooms or Koopas
>running around in New York as very fitting... same goes for Sonic.

Yes, but that cartoon was the Mario equivalent
to AoSTH.

MachHedge

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
> It's the Japanese/European name for the same planet. Once again,
>Sega of America decided to "improve" on Sonic CD, and therefore named
>the Miracle Planet the "Little" Planet. One wonders sometimes about the
>viability of the SoA staff's collective brainpower.

Or the visibility of the SoA staff's collective brainpower.

~~Mach Hedgehog~~
--
You get what anyone gets: You get annoyed by me.

Alessandro Sanasi

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
On 26 Aug 98, icky...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Well, just to make a crazy example, DuckTales occurs on Earth, right?
> They've got weird ball-creatures living underground, societies of fishmen
> living in Atlantis' ruins, etc... Since it ain't real, you can take all
> kinds of crazy liberties with it. To make a less crazy example, look at,
> say, Indiana Jones.. Just because there's some ancient relic out there (the
> lost ark) that kills oodles of people with it's creepy powers, are we not on
> Earth?

Well, that worked because it still stayed within certain boundaries...
even in DuckTales, the characters behaved mostly like humans, lived in
houses, had a society structure that matched the one used on Earth, needed
planes to get from place to place, and so on.

But in Sonic, basically _all_ parallels with Earth have been dropped.
Sonic's world is a place full of magic, with hovering platforms and rings,
Miracle Planets, Chaos Emeralds, Floating Islands, and populated 99 % by
cute (non-sentient?) animals, for which Sonic is the last and only defense
to protect them from Robotnik's evil schemes. They obviously don't have a
'police force' or a 'human' popularity to deal with such obscacles, as
shown in "Sonic Adventure".

However, in a game it's always the _gameplay_ and _graphic_ that counts,
not necessarily the background story, so I think "Sonic Adventure" will do
fine even if SEGA Japan is really putting Sonic on Earth, regardless how
out-of-place it may be...

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <K7iRIfAP...@bulmers.demon.co.uk>,

David Bulmer <da...@bulmers.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In article <6s1kfj$qib$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, icky...@hotmail.com
> writes
> >Let's not pick on my "lack of knowledge," but what's this "Miracle Planet?"
> >recognize the name, but it's no Little Planet...
> It's the Japanese/European name for the same planet. Once again,
> Sega of America decided to "improve" on Sonic CD, and therefore named
> the Miracle Planet the "Little" Planet. One wonders sometimes about the
> viability of the SoA staff's collective brainpower.

Heh. Are you sure about that? SoA's lack of brainpower shows through in the
fact that the only thing they changed in Sonic CD was the soundtrack, with
minimal reprogramming, so presumably all the track names in D.A. Garden
remain the same, and it's still "Little Planet" there. You sure it's Miracle
Planet in japan? (I poisonally like the "little planet" better ^_^

Michael

David Bulmer

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <199808272029...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, MachHedge
<mach...@aol.com> writes

>> It's the Japanese/European name for the same planet. Once again,
>>Sega of America decided to "improve" on Sonic CD, and therefore named
>>the Miracle Planet the "Little" Planet. One wonders sometimes about the
>>viability of the SoA staff's collective brainpower.
>
>Or the visibility of the SoA staff's collective brainpower.

Well yeah but that hardly counts, as no matter how intelligent
you are, your brainpower is still not visible. It's just not.
--
David Bulmer

David Bulmer

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
In article <6s59qg$3ss$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, icky...@hotmail.com
writes

>In article <K7iRIfAP...@bulmers.demon.co.uk>,
> David Bulmer <da...@bulmers.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> In article <6s1kfj$qib$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, icky...@hotmail.com
>> writes
>> >Let's not pick on my "lack of knowledge," but what's this "Miracle Planet?"
>> >recognize the name, but it's no Little Planet...
>> It's the Japanese/European name for the same planet. Once again,
>> Sega of America decided to "improve" on Sonic CD, and therefore named
>> the Miracle Planet the "Little" Planet. One wonders sometimes about the
>> viability of the SoA staff's collective brainpower.
>
>Heh. Are you sure about that? SoA's lack of brainpower shows through in the
>fact that the only thing they changed in Sonic CD was the soundtrack, with
>minimal reprogramming, so presumably all the track names in D.A. Garden
>remain the same, and it's still "Little Planet" there. You sure it's Miracle
>Planet in japan? (I poisonally like the "little planet" better ^_^
poisonally?

Well I can't prove it's called the Miracle Planet in Japan as it
was a piece of secondary information - that is to say it was told to me
by a reliable source, rather than proved by myself - but it was
reliable. Put it this way, someone (I can't remember who now) that I
seemed to think knew enough to be correct told me it's called the
"Miracle Planet" in Japan.
About your statement regarding what they changed - they didn't
only change the soundtrack. They also changed Amy Rose's name (calling
her Princess Sally). And of course Eggman's name, but that was an old
mistake. That's why I wouldn't put it past them to change the Miracle
Planet tosimply the "Little" Planet.
--
David Bulmer

MachHedge

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98
>>Or the visibility of the SoA staff's collective brainpower.
>>
> Well yeah but that hardly counts, as no matter how intelligent
>you are, your brainpower is still not visible. It's just not.

No, one's brainpower is visible in what they do.

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/28/98

> poisonally?

Yeah. That's gangsta talk ^_^

> Well I can't prove it's called the Miracle Planet in Japan as it
> was a piece of secondary information - that is to say it was told to me
> by a reliable source, rather than proved by myself - but it was
> reliable. Put it this way, someone (I can't remember who now) that I
> seemed to think knew enough to be correct told me it's called the
> "Miracle Planet" in Japan.

> About your statement regarding what they changed - they didn't
> only change the soundtrack. They also changed Amy Rose's name (calling
> her Princess Sally). And of course Eggman's name, but that was an old
> mistake. That's why I wouldn't put it past them to change the Miracle
> Planet tosimply the "Little" Planet.

Yeah, but that was all dumb manual stuff having no real bearing on the game
itself. Amy Rose = Princess Sally, hyuck hyuck! SoA's manual guys are
morons. The Eggman to Robotnik decision was a wise one, actually.. No one
in the US would have taken him seriously, and they wanted to emphasize his
"industrialist" tendancies. Ivo Robotnik is a pretty cool name anyway. ^_^

BUT back to the Little Planet, something just occured to me, when I recieved
my tape of all the import tracks (from someone who really did own the CD) he
listed all the track names, and "Little Planet" is good ol' #33.. ^_^ That
convinces me, at any rate..

David Bulmer

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
In article <35E83585...@sprintmail.com>, Mark Palenik
<markp...@sprintmail.com> writes

>David Bulmer wrote:
>

>> It's apparent perhaps, but not visible. To be visible it would
>> have to take on a solid, liquid or coloured gaseous form. But it's not.
>
>I beg to differ. Holograms are neither solid, liquid, or gaseous, and yet
>we see them (I'm not talking about the cheep ones like you see on a baseball
>card, but rather the monochromatic ones recorded via interferometry). You'r
>eye puts together the interfearence pattern into an image suspended in
>space. And what about plasma? That is neither solid, liquid, or gaseous
>either. If this doesn't make any sense, it's because I had a long night
>(which extended late into the morning). I'm always tired in the morning,
>but never at night.--
No, that does make sense. But brainpower isn't a holographic
image either, so the fact still stands that brainpower isn't visible.
--
David Bulmer

David Bulmer

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
In article <199808291754...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, MachHedge
<mach...@aol.com> writes

>>>No, one's brainpower is visible in what they do.
>>>
>> It's apparent perhaps, but not visible. To be visible it would
>>have to take on a solid, liquid or coloured gaseous form. But it's not.
>>--
>
>What about an IQ test? Huh huh HUH?

Um? What about one?
--
David Bulmer

MachHedge

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
>>What about an IQ test? Huh huh HUH?
>>
> Um? What about one?

I'm... not entirely sure...

~~Mach Hedgehog~~
--
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a
battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. And if you weren't such

The Chaos Emerald

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
David Bulmer wrote...

<snip>

> It's apparent perhaps, but not visible. To be visible it would
>have to take on a solid, liquid or coloured gaseous form. But it's not.

Mach was talking in a metaphor, for crying out loud, so please don't be so
literal!

The Chaos Emerald

MachHedge

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
>> It's apparent perhaps, but not visible. To be visible it would
>>have to take on a solid, liquid or coloured gaseous form. But it's not.
>

>Mach was talking in a metaphor, for crying out loud, so please don't be so
>literal!

ACK! You DEFENDED me! Isn't there some sort of LAW against that?

David Bulmer

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
In article <7Y%F1.1098$KK4.3...@news.san.rr.com>, The Chaos Emerald
<chaos-...@usa.net> writes
>David Bulmer wrote...
>
><snip>

>> It's apparent perhaps, but not visible. To be visible it would
>>have to take on a solid, liquid or coloured gaseous form. But it's not.
>

>Mach was talking in a metaphor, for crying out loud, so please don't be so
>literal!

Calm down, we're just having a laugh! *B^)
--
David Bulmer

lsg...@my-dejanews.com

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98

icky...@hotmail.com wrote in message <6s1kfj$qib$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

>> Yeah but it's not the backgrounds that make one think "Mobius"
>> (used in this context as simply a name for whatever planet has been used
>> up 'till now, for sake of argument, be it Earth or not,) isn't Earth.
>> It's the Floating Island, the Miracle Planet, the Chaos Emeralds, etc.

>> --
>> David Bulmer

>Well, just to make a crazy example, DuckTales occurs on Earth, right?
>They've got weird ball-creatures living underground, societies of fishmen
>living in Atlantis' ruins, etc... Since it ain't real, you can take all
>kinds of crazy liberties with it. To make a less crazy example, look at,
>say, Indiana Jones.. Just because there's some ancient relic out there
(the
>lost ark) that kills oodles of people with it's creepy powers, are we not
on

>Earth? (I'm thinking of a Chaos Emerald comparison here) ...it's the same
>thing as with the different backgrounds and humanoid furries, they are just
>there, just there on earth ^_^
>

>Let's not pick on my "lack of knowledge," but what's this "Miracle Planet?"
>recognize the name, but it's no Little Planet...

Miracle Planet and Little Planet are the same.

Liam Slater
LSG...@yahoo.com
Sonic,"You won't BELIEVE the number of times I've heard that!"
Borg,"Species 8472 must be stopped, give us the technology."