Some AFSH holy texts, maybe?

Andvari

Apr 30, 2002, 7:04:14 PM4/30/02
The history of AFSH has enough making for a brief, exaggeratedly biblical
tale... could we try putting an effort into this? It would be an interesting
endeavor. Look at the synopsis as-is... covering both AFSH and Sonic Fandom in
general. Its pieced together from old AFSH posts and my own experiences.

------
CHAPTER ONE: "In the Beginning"

Long ago, there was a nation known only as "Sonic the Hedgehog," in which the
all-powerful god Quozl created a city known as AFSH. AFSH was not without
difficulties, but remained a general forum for all the happenings in the Sonic
Fandom world and became a veritable megalopolis.

CHAPTER TWO: "Ratman's Exodus"

Great leaders of the time rose... one particular leader, known as Ratman, began
seizing economic power across the nation. AFSH remained mostly free from his
grasp, but it was the staging ground for rebellion. A faction, apparently led
by Joseph deLacroix himself, began to speak out against Ratman's ever-reaching
power. As a result, Ratman destroyed the city known as "The Sonic Mailing
List," alienating an entire community. With all the land and power he seized,
with an archive of files and fanfiction that people had grown so relient on, he
began to tear it apart underneath himself, as if simply to spite the people of
the nation. The Mailing List was only the beginning. Quozl's AFSH was a safe
haven, but had a perfect view of the carnage outside. As if in a kamikaze
attack, Ratman began to tear down the cities and resources he owned, destroying
some other great leaders of the time, such as David Pistone, with him. Ratman
was severing himself from the Sonic fandom world.

CHAPTER THREE: "First Reconstruction"

As Rat's betrayal set in, some less-worthy candidates broke off from the
remaining factions, even AFSH itself, to attempt to reach their own positions
of power. The demi-human beast known as "Gonterman" gained a minor following
and set out to bend the universe to his own will. He has yet even make an
impact, much less be successful. deLacroix, Northage, and the band of
fanfiction authors that dwelled in AFSH set off for greener pastures,
continuing their works from afar.

Towards the end of the year 1996, The Great Quozl vanished. His return is
hoped for but not prophesized [yet; we can write some of those too]. Rumors
spread the he was cast into the realm of a "Crappy ISP".... but he has yet to
return.

A few people remained steadfast in the loss of Quozl... Razor, a simple
peasant, slowly but steadily rose through the ranks over the next several
years. Alessandro Sanasi, also of a simple folk began to step in to pick up
the fallen pieces of Ratman's empire once the inevitable happened; Rat had
finally closed down the last of his Sonic Resource Page. Another new face,
then known as "Ettinger" wandered into the city... he did little and spoke
rarely, but held steadfast in his new home.
--------

Anyway, by this point, it would theoretically be Mid-1997. If you guys think
this is an interesting project, I can by all means continue; further chapters
of the tale include "Cypher's Assault" (self explanatory, directly followed by
"Second Reconstruction") and "The Dreamcast Reunification," which is the period
shortly after September 1999 when SA1 and the Dreamcast slowly revitalized the
Sonic Nation. Also, all you current AFSHers could give me more info about when
each of you joined and I could find ways to work everyone into the text.

It could become our own great Manifesto or sacred parchment, available at the
AFSH website. Wouldn't that be, uh...... cool?

...or something.

___________
AR - Andvari
-AFSH Stupid Brigadier - Viva Le Revolucion!
-Worshipper of The Comic - Is it not Nifty?
-Chao down, Baby.

"I love strangers - all they are, are people
who aren't scared of you yet." - Dean Rivers

Andvari

Apr 30, 2002, 7:08:17 PM4/30/02
> I can by all means continue; further chapters
>of the tale include "Cypher's Assault" (self explanatory, directly followed
>by
>"Second Reconstruction") and "The Dreamcast Reunification," which is the
>period
>shortly after September 1999 when SA1 and the Dreamcast slowly revitalized
>the
>Sonic Nation. Also, all you current AFSHers could give me more info about
>when
>each of you joined and I could find ways to work everyone into the text.

Oh yes, yes, and I would include a chapter about the formation of the
unstoppable armada of THE STUPID BRIGADE, a force that remains to this day ;)

Dane Martin

Apr 30, 2002, 7:18:05 PM4/30/02
Andvari wrote:

[...]

If you ask me, you're taking this _much_ too seriously, to the point where it's
really no longer satirical. But hey, it would be interesting to see anyway;
I'll read whatever you come up with.

--
|\
| \
|__\ ane
<http://images.ucomics.com/comics/nq/2002/nq020414.gif>
remove "radical" to contact me
member of the afsh stupid brigade

Dane Martin

Apr 30, 2002, 7:18:27 PM4/30/02
Andvari wrote:

>> I can by all means continue; further chapters
>>of the tale include "Cypher's Assault" (self explanatory, directly followed
>>by
>>"Second Reconstruction") and "The Dreamcast Reunification," which is the
>>period
>>shortly after September 1999 when SA1 and the Dreamcast slowly revitalized
>>the
>>Sonic Nation. Also, all you current AFSHers could give me more info about
>>when
>>each of you joined and I could find ways to work everyone into the text.
>

>Oh yes, yes, and I would include a chapter about the formation of the
>unstoppable armada of THE STUPID BRIGADE, a force that remains to this day ;)

But that would ruin the joke---there _is_ no point to it.

Andvari

Apr 30, 2002, 7:23:45 PM4/30/02

>If you ask me, you're taking this _much_ too seriously, to the point where
>it's
>really no longer satirical. But hey, it would be interesting to see anyway;
>I'll read whatever you come up with.

Yes, its really kinda fun to take it a bit too seriously. Still, AFSH is an
odd community, and I've suddenly had a renewed interest in 'the good old days,'
so this seemed like a neat idea.

Besides, whoever gets to write the AFSH 'bible' would automatically and
therefore be the AFSH Prophet and/or Sage.

Or maybe the Oracle?

Dane Martin

Apr 30, 2002, 7:38:03 PM4/30/02
Andvari wrote:

[...]

>Besides, whoever gets to write the AFSH 'bible' would automatically and
>therefore be the AFSH Prophet and/or Sage.
>
>Or maybe the Oracle?

I'd do it if I would then be reffered to as The Biblist, or Another Him.

Of course, the latter might offend Mark.

Zachary Benevento

Apr 30, 2002, 9:03:17 PM4/30/02

"Andvari" <andv...@aol.commonfolk> wrote in message

> The history of AFSH has enough making for a brief, exaggeratedly biblical
> tale... could we try putting an effort into this? It would be an
interesting
> endeavor. Look at the synopsis as-is... covering both AFSH and Sonic
Fandom in
> general. Its pieced together from old AFSH posts and my own experiences.

<snip>

Would it continue into today and the rise of Mach and his "Great hentai
dynasty"?

Zach
--
"I played Sonic for 20 minutes, and never figured out how to kill anyone."

-Chris Sawler
--
AIM: Cheeseandmonkeys
ICQ: 123916296

Contact me, or I'll haunt your dreams!

Andvari

Apr 30, 2002, 9:28:11 PM4/30/02
>Would it continue into today and the rise of Mach and his "Great hentai
>dynasty"?

He usually keeps that "dynasty" to himself, usually in a small box under his
bed. Like a backyard empire.

Noah Smith

May 1, 2002, 12:52:23 AM5/1/02
"Andvari" <andv...@aol.commonfolk> wrote:
> The history of AFSH has enough making for a brief, exaggeratedly biblical
> tale... could we try putting an effort into this? It would be an
interesting
> endeavor. Look at the synopsis as-is... covering both AFSH and Sonic
Fandom in
> general. Its pieced together from old AFSH posts and my own experiences.
>
> ------
> CHAPTER ONE: "In the Beginning"
<snip>

Wow. An old poster by the name of Gold Sand, and myself had the same idea
about 2 years ago but we didn't get much farther than the first paragraph. I
think our version began with...

In the beginning, there was unused bandwidth
And the bandwidth was void and empty
And Lo, a solitary message was sent to alt.config
And AFSH was born...

Er, it was something like that. I don't remember now.
--
NoahFrenzy
EXTRA SUGAR, EXTRA SALT, EXTRA OIL AND MSG

Mark Whickman

May 1, 2002, 3:50:18 AM5/1/02

Andvari <andv...@aol.commonfolk> wrote in message

The coming of Whickman in '98.

--
~~>:-<

Visit my Website! http://go.to/ribfaces_lair
"Hah! Your quest is over blood angel. I am the only destiny that awaits you
here. Yield
to me, son of sanguinius. Surrender yourself body and soul to the power of
CHAOS!"

"What da ZoG!?"

Blackfortress Ltd - Purveyors of fine Daemon Swords and Advanced weapons of
Mass Destruction

"The more I see, the more I know - The more I know, the less I understand."
Changingman

"That's it! Be afraid! You all taste so much better when you're afraid!"
- Pennywise.

"The concept of a divine creator is irrelevant to our happiness."

Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are
different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts
are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and
interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories
to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this
century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the
outcome. And humans evolved from ape-like ancestors whether they did so by
Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered.
-- Stephen Jay Gould, "Evolution as Fact and Theory"

"Look! You're really putting me off, I came in here busting for a slash
and.... Sorry"
Angry Kid
Mail Me! Markwh...@blackfortress.co.uk Please...
or
see some of my Fanfics at
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Lair/9161/writers.htm

Stones

May 1, 2002, 1:14:02 PM5/1/02
On Wed, 1 May 2002 08:50:18 +0100, "Mark Whickman"
<mark.w...@ic.ac.uk> got wasted, then babbled:

<Wheee..... Snippy!!>

>The coming of Whickman in '98.

The birth of Stones in 2001 - the by-product of a pot of dangerous
chemicals.

Andvari

May 1, 2002, 3:43:27 PM5/1/02

>The coming of Whickman in '98.

Ah yes. A sacred event ;)

Andvari

May 1, 2002, 3:44:15 PM5/1/02

>The birth of Stones in 2001 - the by-product of a pot of dangerous
>chemicals.

Stones is like AFSH's in-bred lovechild.

In a GOOD way, of course. THe n00b kinda way.

Dane Martin

May 1, 2002, 3:54:04 PM5/1/02
Andvari wrote:

>>The coming of Whickman in '98.
>
>Ah yes. A sacred event ;)

I don't remember much of The Coming, since I used to get TEH VAHOLOWNT MAWK and
Mark Palenik confused. Yes, mixed up. Laugh it up.

Dane Martin

May 1, 2002, 3:54:42 PM5/1/02
Andvari wrote:

>>The birth of Stones in 2001 - the by-product of a pot of dangerous
>>chemicals.
>>

>Stones is like AFSH's in-bred lovechild.
>
>In a GOOD way, of course. THe n00b kinda way.

Anyone that is considered an in-bred lovechild should really cherish the title.
It has a nice ring to it...

You should put it on your .sig, Stones.

Mark Whickman

May 1, 2002, 4:24:48 PM5/1/02

> >The coming of Whickman in '98.
>
> Ah yes. A sacred event ;)

About as sacred as the coming of Abaddon I suppose.

Mark Whickman

May 1, 2002, 4:28:16 PM5/1/02

Dane Martin <dan...@aol.comradical> wrote in message

> Andvari wrote:
>
> >>The coming of Whickman in '98.
> >
> >Ah yes. A sacred event ;)
>
> I don't remember much of The Coming, since I used to get TEH VAHOLOWNT
MAWK and
> Mark Palenik confused. Yes, mixed up. Laugh it up.

Indeed.

*blam*

sonicblur

May 1, 2002, 6:21:05 PM5/1/02
Stones <stones_la...@hotmail.com> wrote in

> <Wheee..... Snippy!!>
>>The coming of Whickman in '98.

The coming of me in 99, less than a year before the world ended...
Erm... Wait!

--
-sonicblur

.---------------------------.
| I currently do not have |
| a site I want to link to. |
| This box will be filled |
| filled in later. :-) |
|===========================|
| PSOPC-Sappharad (HUcast) |
+---------------------------+

Stones

May 2, 2002, 8:53:55 AM5/2/02
On 01 May 2002 19:44:15 GMT, andv...@aol.commonfolk (Andvari) got
wasted, then babbled:

>>The birth of Stones in 2001 - the by-product of a pot of dangerous
>>chemicals.
>>

>Stones is like AFSH's in-bred lovechild.
>
>In a GOOD way, of course. THe n00b kinda way.

HEY! Newgular! Only two months from yesterday and I'll be a semi-reg,
and you may eat those words. Now sit down and take your drugs like a
good little sick-note.

--
Stones - Uhh.. Too much info there.
I still don't have a .sig. This is getting ridiculous.

Adrian Wood

May 3, 2002, 2:42:59 AM5/3/02
"Stones" <stones_la...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On 01 May 2002 19:44:15 GMT, andv...@aol.commonfolk (Andvari) got
> wasted, then babbled:
> >>The birth of Stones in 2001 - the by-product of a pot of dangerous
> >>chemicals.
> >
> >Stones is like AFSH's in-bred lovechild.
> >
> >In a GOOD way, of course. THe n00b kinda way.
>
> HEY! Newgular! Only two months from yesterday and I'll be a semi-reg,
> and you may eat those words. Now sit down and take your drugs like a
> good little sick-note.

I didn't note when I started posting, and I don't remember what tiem the
different stages are.

Erm... Does that mean I have to start from scratch? :(

Adrian

--
Email: adrian...@ntlworld.com
ICQ: 147063492

Stones

May 3, 2002, 11:04:52 AM5/3/02
On Fri, 3 May 2002 07:42:59 +0100, "Adrian Wood"
<adrian...@ntlworld.com> got wasted, then babbled:

>"Stones" <stones_la...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 01 May 2002 19:44:15 GMT, andv...@aol.commonfolk (Andvari) got
>> wasted, then babbled:
>> >
>> >Stones is like AFSH's in-bred lovechild.
>> >
>> >In a GOOD way, of course. THe n00b kinda way.
>>
>> HEY! Newgular! Only two months from yesterday and I'll be a semi-reg,
>> and you may eat those words. Now sit down and take your drugs like a
>> good little sick-note.
>
>I didn't note when I started posting, and I don't remember what tiem the
>different stages are.
>
>Erm... Does that mean I have to start from scratch? :(

It's only vague, but I entered here around July 2nd (Somewhere in the
first wekk anyway).

UNfortunately, there was some kind of Andvari-Zac-someone else-André
flame war going on..

--
Stones - Not that it's any of my business, of course.

Andvari

May 3, 2002, 3:43:54 PM5/3/02
>UNfortunately, there was some kind of Andvari-Zac-someone else-André
>flame war going on..

You mean to say that things were fairly normal?

Stones

May 3, 2002, 4:12:25 PM5/3/02
On 03 May 2002 19:43:54 GMT, andv...@aol.commonfolk (Andvari) got
wasted, then babbled:

>>UNfortunately, there was some kind of Andvari-Zac-someone else-André

>>flame war going on..
>
>You mean to say that things were fairly normal?

Well, yes, actually.

Mr. Encyclopedia

May 4, 2002, 9:37:24 PM5/4/02

> > I can by all means continue; further chapters
> >of the tale include "Cypher's Assault" (self explanatory, directly
followed
> >by
> >"Second Reconstruction") and "The Dreamcast Reunification," which is the
> >period
> >shortly after September 1999 when SA1 and the Dreamcast slowly
revitalized
> >the
> >Sonic Nation. Also, all you current AFSHers could give me more info
about
> >when
> >each of you joined and I could find ways to work everyone into the text.
>

> Oh yes, yes, and I would include a chapter about the formation of the
> unstoppable armada of THE STUPID BRIGADE, a force that remains

...Impotent...

--
Mach

Mr. Encyclopedia

May 4, 2002, 9:37:27 PM5/4/02

Zachary Benevento <gangst...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Andvari" <andv...@aol.commonfolk> wrote in message
> > The history of AFSH has enough making for a brief, exaggeratedly
biblical
> > tale... could we try putting an effort into this? It would be an
> interesting
> > endeavor. Look at the synopsis as-is... covering both AFSH and Sonic
> Fandom in
> > general. Its pieced together from old AFSH posts and my own
experiences.

> <snip>
>
> Would it continue into today and the rise of Mach and his "Great hentai
> dynasty"?

"What dynasty did you say it was from?"
The man rapped his finger on the vase. It rang out, "Ming!"

--
Mach

LGDKDD

May 5, 2002, 7:26:58 PM5/5/02
>The history of AFSH has enough making for a brief, exaggeratedly biblical
>tale...

...and then we can have our own groups of crazy people, running around
declaring the end of the world!

...Alright, we can have MORE of our own crazy people running around declaring
the end of the world!

And even though there is no reason for me to do this, I wrote my own beginning
to a simmiler sounding text. I may not finish it (and there is no need for me
to, since you're writing one), but I'm still posting this.

THE HOLY TEXTS OF ALT.FAN.SONIC-HEDGEHOG
As written by the lurker, David

Book 1: Genesis

In the beginning, Naka created the console and the game. And it was good. The
console was named Genesis, and the game Sonic The Hedgehog. The mighty power
of the console and the game swept the minds of the underlings that lived under
the rule of Naka, and soon they became his faithful servants. He was their
God, and they his subjects. However, all was not fair in the land, for there
were those who prophesied a great end to the rule of Naka. The followers
laughed at this fool, who talked of another dimension, of the Sonyites and the
64, and of the destruction of the heavenly body of Saturn.

It was in the year of 5 A.S. that those who believed in the rule of Naka soon
found weakness in his power, and believed him not to be the one true God of
gaming. Those who denied his power were thrown out of the land, and they
scattered the far reaches of the globe. These beings yelled out against their
former leader, and shouted out for his destruction.

But in the chaos of this, those true believers connected themselves to "the
web," and spread out among the free and lonely bandwidth. They preached the
one named Naka, and soon overtook various corners of the land. The strongest
of these was named RatMan, and soon he established the holy list of Sonic,
where the message of Naka and Sonicdom could be spread. And as this list
flourished, the RatMan soon became a god in the world of Sonicdom. Yes, some
even believed that he was their true leader, the new god to replace the rule of
Naka.

As a gift to those who were strong with the list, RatMan gave his followers
Rat.Org, a place where all those who believed in the Naka would be able to be
free from prosecution. And it flourished with the messages of those who
worshiped the hedgehog. The site grew with the offerings, of the fanart and
the scrolls of untold tales. Yes, and it grew. But as RatMan gained the title
of God to his people, there were others who also grew in this land of
cyberspace.

Book 2: Alt.Config

As the list of Sonic grew in strength, another sent out a message to those who
lived in the ruling lands of the web, those who guarded and made sure that
there was no harm to its people. This message was sent by the Holy One Quozl,
sent to the ruling land of Alt.Config. It was said here that the creation of
lands could be formed, by the blessing of Naka.

In the dwindling days of 4 A.S, the Holy One Quozl spoke unto the land of
Alt.Config, to ask for the creation of Alt.Tv.Sonic, to celebrate the
Hedgehog's many animated forms. But as their fate seemed uncertain, the
creation of this city was not to be. And so Quozl returned to the land in the
fifth year.

And Quozl spoke unto those of the land of Alt.Config once again. He said "Here
unto me, great rulers of the Config! Although the plan of Alt.Tv.Sonic has
been lost in time, the calling of the people force me to arrive, to re-propose
a city for my people! A place safe in the corners of Alt.Fan, to birth
Alt.Fan.Sonic-Hedgehog!" And the Alt.Config rulers said, "Fair Quozl, you have
proven yourself worthy not just to yourself, but to your people. And thus, you
have our blessing to create the city of AFSH."

And so Quozl spread the word throughout the Holy List, and the fandom was
happy. RatMan and Quozl were able to coexist peacefully as the Holy One was
praised to God status. And it was good.

But all was not to be well in the land of AFSH, and Sonicdom. For fear and
horror would grip those in the year 6 A.S., where the first changes to the land
would commence.

Yeah, that's all I've got now. And I'm not sure if I'll finish it, as then it
would seem like I'm trying to compete against you (as if it doesn't look that
way now...), but I sort of want to. I always imagined writing some sort of
Sonic Fandom history (such as my incomplete Perfect Chaos Gang tales), but
never stuck with it. But who knows. But, one again there is no reason to if
you're writing yours. So it's more of a writing exercise on my part.
Although, if I was to finish mine first...

*Andvari, confused by the lurker, hits him.*

Andvari: That's enough!

-David The Lurker
Unofficial lurker of AFSH since 1997.

"I wish Lucas & Co. would get the thing going a little faster. I can't really
imagine waiting until 1997 to see all nine parts of the Star Wars series." -
azure!randals,

Andvari

May 6, 2002, 6:28:56 PM5/6/02
I have only this to say.

>In the beginning, Naka created the console and the game. And it was good.

Naka made the game. Not the console. Sorry.

LGDKDD

May 8, 2002, 6:20:40 AM5/8/02
>I have only this to say.
>
>>In the beginning, Naka created the console and the game. And it was good.
>
>Naka made the game. Not the console. Sorry.

Well, I know that, but for some strange reason I wrote it. It seemed only
natural at the time...

And that is why you're writing the holy texts of AFSH, and not me.

-David The Lurker

crook...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2013, 4:44:11 PM10/20/13
Rob Cypher still owns this dead piece of shit. like a zombie..

TailsThe2TailedFox

Apr 30, 2014, 8:09:06 PM4/30/14
There's a page in Sonic Retro, saying that the alt.fan.sonic-hedgehog newsgroup's the biggest Sonic Discussion Page of UseNet (and Google Groups, whatever), but it also says that the Sonic discussion part's going away, as people change the Sonic Subject by other stuff subject, like PS2 games, etc.
I'm, somehow, worried with that, and I'm new here. The very first time I heard something about this group, was when I searched for Simon Wai's (S.W.) Sonic 2 Beta (and I'm still searching for more information about it), and I was just surprised, because it was the very first time I heard about a newsgroup too! Funny thing...

Dan 379

Jun 13, 2022, 3:39:34 AM6/13/22
yeah it is

azure k

Jul 18, 2022, 9:24:53 PM7/18/22
On Monday, June 13, 2022 at 3:39:34 AM UTC-4, Dan 379 wrote:
> yeah it is

ya don't say...