Sonic 2 glitches

Yasha Rris

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
Well, since everyone's talking about the Ashura glitch
and I've never seen this other one mentioned I thought
I'd collaberate on it. The next time you turn into Super
Sonic in Sonic 2, immediately after you jump, press
start. While paused keep pressing the C or B button
and you get to watch Sonic jump into the air, then
transform. As an added bonus, you get to keep the
music of the zone instead of the repeatative Super
Sonic music. Try it, it's something neat to try when
you're bored.

~Miyasha
Quote of the Month

"After hearing about Mobius' [history] straight
from the guy who created it, and then rejecting
it, I can only [conclude] that Alessandro hates
everything."
--

Question of the Month

WHY Alessandro? WHY?

Maculation

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98
I've tried the Ashura code and got interesting results. The first time I tried
it Sonic was red. The Second time I tried it he was Dark Green, Light Green,
and black. The next time I tried it he was all black.

Am I doing something wrong? Then When I go to the next level, sonic is his
normal colors again. Is he supposed to do that or is he supposed to stay
colored?

________________________
| Visit Sonic Metropolis: |
| http://sonic.fsn.net/sonic/ |
============================

Mr Karate

Nov 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/21/98

Maculation wrote in message <19981121125526...@ng85.aol.com>...

>I've tried the Ashura code and got interesting results. The first time I
tried
>it Sonic was red. The Second time I tried it he was Dark Green, Light
Green,
>and black. The next time I tried it he was all black.

I'm not sure if the screen fades dark when you pause, but if it does,
here is wehats (possibly) happening.

Since the genesis is not able to display many colors at once, (I think
around 64 colors in one pallette)
to make the fade from original colors to a shade of black, the system must
make a pallette switch to darker colors, except for white. To do this, there
is a code ot simply subtract some value from Red Green and Blue.
And when you unpause, the original RGB values are restored.

Now, as far as I remember (I played this game too long ago to be sure) Super
Sonic pallette swaps a little (from yellow to white back to yellow,
repeated) It could be that your system is confusing the color values used on
Sonic, and "forgetting" that he needs his own selection of slots in the
color pallette.
Thats what I think, but of course, it may be something else entirely.

- Ryo S

Maculation

Nov 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/24/98
It DOES NOT FADE. Also Super Sonics Spikes are a little longer.
It Also he changes in the lives and on the signs. (At the end of the level)

M StealthA

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
><HTML><PRE>Subject: Re: Sonic 2 glitches
>From: macul...@aol.com (Maculation)
>Date: Mon, Nov 23, 1998 19:08 EST

all it really is is a palette bug, almost like what that karate guy wrote. the
palette swapping is only used in things like waterfalls, blinking lights and
such. if you want to see it working, you can use genecyst and select "palette"
in the view menu, a string of colors are rotated to make the effects.
supersonic is from setting sonic's blue colors to yellow, increasing their red
and blue values til its white, then decreasing them till hes yellow again. im
guessing its because the genesis can only display 64 colors onscreen, and with
so many waterfalls overlapping each other it tries to recreate the palette to
handle everything but it just cant do it, so sonic's colors are changed as a
result. the same colors used in the sonic sprite itself are also used on the
life icon and the signs, i know that for sure.
when you go to the next level or die or something, the pallete is reset
properly, so sonic loses the funky colors.
i wish i knew why people started calling it ashura though, i think i heard that
his origin was just in a fanfic possibly written before the bug was found, but
ive never actually seen him in any of those either

M StealthA

Nov 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/28/98
><HTML><PRE>Subject: Re: Sonic 2 glitches
>From: mste...@aol.comdfsedg (M StealthA)
>Date: Sat, Nov 28, 1998 04:05 EST

>>Subject: Re: Sonic 2 glitches
>>From: macul...@aol.com (Maculation)
>>Date: Mon, Nov 23, 1998 19:08 EST
>>
>>It DOES NOT FADE. Also Super Sonics Spikes are a little longer.
>>It Also he changes in the lives and on the signs. (At the end of the level)
>>

>>> I'm not sure if the screen fades dark when you pause, but if it does,
>>>here is wehats (possibly) happening.
>>>
>>> Since the genesis is not able to display many colors at once, (I think
>>>around 64 colors in one pallette)
>>>to make the fade from original colors to a shade of black, the system must
>>>make a pallette switch to darker colors, except for white. To do this,
>there
>>>is a code ot simply subtract some value from Red Green and Blue.
>>>And when you unpause, the original RGB values are restored.
>>>
>>>Now, as far as I remember (I played this game too long ago to be sure)
>Super
>>>Sonic pallette swaps a little (from yellow to white back to yellow,
>>>repeated) It could be that your system is confusing the color values used
>>>on
>>>Sonic, and "forgetting" that he needs his own selection of slots in the
>>>color pallette.
>>>Thats what I think, but of course, it may be something else entirely.
>>

>all it really is is a palette bug, almost like what that karate guy wrote.
>the
>palette swapping is only used in things like waterfalls, blinking lights and
>such. if you want to see it working, you can use genecyst and select
>"palette"
>in the view menu, a string of colors are rotated to make the effects.
>supersonic is from setting sonic's blue colors to yellow, increasing their
>red
>and blue values til its white, then decreasing them till hes yellow again. im
>guessing its because the genesis can only display 64 colors onscreen, and
>with
>so many waterfalls overlapping each other it tries to recreate the palette to
>handle everything but it just cant do it, so sonic's colors are changed as a
>result. the same colors used in the sonic sprite itself are also used on the
>life icon and the signs, i know that for sure.
>when you go to the next level or die or something, the pallete is reset
>properly, so sonic loses the funky colors.
>i wish i knew why people started calling it ashura though, i think i heard
>that
>his origin was just in a fanfic possibly written before the bug was found,
>but
>ive never actually seen him in any of those either
></PRE></HTML>

im kinda tired and i probably made alot more mistakes than the one i just
thought about, so ill fix it and get rid of at least some of the stupidity...
in supersonic it only increases and decreases the blue part of the color. the
red and green stay the same, because they create the yellow
dont ask why im bothering to put so much in my post, i dont even know :P