5 more days!

TimeStones

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
Yes people, only five more days untill Aug. 22 when the "Sonic Adventure" Press
conference takes place! I'm surprised nobody here has been talking about,
seeing as how this could be the game that decides the Dreamcasts' fate.
(Remember, the Genesis didn't take off untill Sonic 1 came around, and then
look what happened!) Isn't anyone interested on who will be in it, or what it
will be about? I hear there's going to be RPG elements in it, as well as a four
player mode. Or isn't anybody interested in who will be in it? Tails is sure to
be in it, Knux and Amy are possibilities, but what of the new character being
created? Doesn't anybody wonder who he/she is and what part he/she plays in the
game? Huh? Well, that's all for me right now.

Quote of the week:

"Tell my eyebrows...that...I love them!" -Crow T. Robot

**** **** * * ***
** * TimeStones* * *
** *** *** ***
* *** -Warrior of all time realities and the keeper
of the Maveric Hunter data files.

OyukiShian

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
Perhaps the new chara is Tiara B or something.... I hope not. She seemed like a
dumb idea for a chara anyhow.

RazJMastrs

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
In article <199808171558...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
oyuki...@aol.com (OyukiShian) writes:

Well, to be quite honest, it seems to me that you
basically dislike every single female character in
the Sonicverse. You can't stand Sally, and well,
darn, Tiara B just happens to push your buttons
too. I guess the world can only be a better place
if your character becomes mainstream, huh?

-=(Raz Masters
,------------------------------------------------------------------,
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
-=[]` http://members.aol.com/RazJMastrs/ `[]=-
-[] http://members.tripod.com/~SonicSector []-

MachHedge

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
>Well, to be quite honest, it seems to me that you
>basically dislike every single female character in
>the Sonicverse. You can't stand Sally, and well,
>darn, Tiara B just happens to push your buttons
>too. I guess the world can only be a better place
>if your character becomes mainstream, huh?

Raz, your frankness matches your intelligence.

~~Mach Hedgehog~~

TimeStones

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
>Perhaps the new chara is Tiara B or something.... I hope not. She seemed like
>dumb idea for a chara anyhow.

Well, ignoring Raz's comment for the time being, Sonic Team did confirm that
the character would be completely new. They also haven't confirmed weather or
not it's male or female yet. I assume it's female seeing as how the website I
saw this at said that the character was supposed to appeal to the female
audience with lots of wild and vibrant colors and stuff.

Jamal Chapultapec

Aug 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/17/98
Maybe it's a guy character wearing the Technicolor Dreamcoat?

In article <199808171918...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Jamal Chapultapec, the Jammin' Jam-Man
Visit my cool as a taco webpage at:
http://geocities.com/Area51/Dunes/3349/
Or send me a groovin' e-mail at:
jchapu...@hotmail.com

Warp

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
TimeStones wrote:

> >Perhaps the new chara is Tiara B or something.... I hope not. She seemed like
> >dumb idea for a chara anyhow.
>
> Well, ignoring Raz's comment for the time being, Sonic Team did confirm that
> the character would be completely new. They also haven't confirmed weather or
> not it's male or female yet. I assume it's female seeing as how the website I
> saw this at said that the character was supposed to appeal to the female

(for you Neo*Geo fans out there) Maybe it's Benimaru. :p

-+Warp+-

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <199808171436...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

times...@aol.com (TimeStones) wrote:
> Yes people, only five more days untill Aug. 22 when the "Sonic Adventure"
Press
> conference takes place! I'm surprised nobody here has been talking about,
> seeing as how this could be the game that decides the Dreamcasts' fate.

Well isn't it obvious? No one around here cares about games, they'd all
rather be writing moronic fanfiction, reading moronic comics, or flaming
eachother into moronic little KFC crispies. I've been posting about it
occasionally in other forums, umm.. Here's something. Someone had just said
something about the original planned use for Dr. Robotnik's ball he swings on
the Green Hill Zone boss.

If the original idea for Robotnik's big swinging hunk of green hill dirt was
to roll after you, Indiana Jones-style, then maybe one of the original goals
of the game was to be somewhat Indiana Jones-like in the first place. Since
Sonic Team did all that research in Peru, and Indiana Jones likes to hang out
in Peru.. See where I'm going? And although all the landscapes in Sonic are
much more stylized than anything Indiana-ish, the locations don't exactly
feel like it but they do relate, like the Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone.

The Chaos Emeralds can easily be whatever secret relic Indiana is after. At
the end of Sonic 1, can't you imagine it being Indiana's arch-nemesis
juggling the remaining emeralds? (If Sonic was Indiana that is ^_^)

So maybe that's kinda where Sonic Adventure will be headed, ya think? Since
it's comparable to an RPG, it makes sense to me. "You see Sonic, there is
nothing you can posess that I cannot take away! Muwahahahah!" [Plus a little
eggman jiggle]

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98

> Well, to be quite honest, it seems to me that you
> basically dislike every single female character in
> the Sonicverse. You can't stand Sally, and well,
> darn, Tiara B just happens to push your buttons
> too. I guess the world can only be a better place
> if your character becomes mainstream, huh?

Who is Tiara B? If she's an Archie character, there's no way, same with
Sally. No way Sonic team's gonna use someone like that. The character will
be all new.

RazJMastrs

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
In article <6rcdoi$k3t$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, icky...@hotmail.com writes:

[snip]

>Who is Tiara B? If she's an Archie character,
>there's no way, same with Sally.

Um. Y'know, for someone who supposedly is
all for the SegaSonic continuity, you're kinda
lacking on rudimentary knowledge. She was
a character from Sonic X-Treme.. her entire
name was Tiara Bobowski, and her father, I
believe, was the man who crafted Chaos..
Rings? Something like that. Robotnik had
snatched them, and Sonic was called in by
Tiara and such.. I believe he 'surfed' there
in the original intro, with some sort of motor-
ized surfboard..

Also, to kinda sorta defend myself before-
hand, I'm just as for the SegaSonic story-
line as I am for SatAM. What I don't see,
however, is a lot of high-quality FanFics
that are based on SegaSonic. In fact..
nearly all of them are absolutely horrible.
However, as I've so truly said here, "Sonic
Runners" was absolutely.. beautiful.

RHONDA ZEIGAFUSE

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
Tiara B is a canceled character from sonic x-treame (the canceled game)

Brandon the Hedgehog

The Chaos Emerald

Aug 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/18/98
RazJMastrs wrote...

>In article <6rcdoi$k3t$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, icky...@hotmail.com writes:
>
>[snip]
>>Who is Tiara B? If she's an Archie character,
>>there's no way, same with Sally.
>
>Um. Y'know, for someone who supposedly is
>all for the SegaSonic continuity, you're kinda
>lacking on rudimentary knowledge.
<snip>

Well, Tiara wasn't TRULY SegaSonic, at least IMO. I feel that only Sonic
1,2,3&Knuckles, Jam, and Adventure can TRULLY be called SegaSonic. Then
there's the games that come close (the GG series), and the sorta nearby (the
rest of the Sonic games, minus Spinball for the Genny/MD).

The Chaos Emerald

MachHedge

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
>Well, Tiara wasn't TRULY SegaSonic, at least IMO. I feel that only Sonic
>1,2,3&Knuckles, Jam, and Adventure can TRULLY be called SegaSonic. Then
>there's the games that come close (the GG series), and the sorta nearby (the
>rest of the Sonic games, minus Spinball for the Genny/MD)

You forgot Mean Bean Machine. That was AoSTH.

~~Mach Hedgehog~~
With half his brain tied
behind his back, for no
reason whatsoever.

The Chaos Emerald

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
MachHedge wrote...

>>Well, Tiara wasn't TRULY SegaSonic, at least IMO. I feel that only Sonic
>>1,2,3&Knuckles, Jam, and Adventure can TRULLY be called SegaSonic. Then
>>there's the games that come close (the GG series), and the sorta nearby
(the
>>rest of the Sonic games, minus Spinball for the Genny/MD)
>
>You forgot Mean Bean Machine. That was AoSTH.

Oops, oh yeah. So I should have said minus Spinball AND MBM. There.

The Chaos Emerald

RazJMastrs

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <IinC1.2463$AO6.9...@news.san.rr.com>, "The Chaos Emerald"
<chaos-...@usa.net> writes:

[snip]

>Well, Tiara wasn't TRULY SegaSonic, at
>least IMO.

[snip repeat]

Uhm. Basically, what I'm gonna ask right
now is, -what- makes you think of it that
way?

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/19/98
In article <199808191232...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

razjm...@aol.com (RazJMastrs) wrote:
> In article <IinC1.2463$AO6.9...@news.san.rr.com>, "The Chaos Emerald"
> <chaos-...@usa.net> writes:
>
> [snip]
> >Well, Tiara wasn't TRULY SegaSonic, at
> >least IMO.
> [snip repeat]
>
> Uhm. Basically, what I'm gonna ask right
> now is, -what- makes you think of it that
> way?

Because it was made 100% by SoA, with no assistance from SoJ or any Sonic
Team members whatsoever, just like Sonic Spinball. That's why it turned out
so crappy and it got canceled, they were just making a high-speed version of
Bug!.

David Bulmer

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
In article <199808182058...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, RazJMastrs
<razjm...@aol.com> writes

>Also, to kinda sorta defend myself before-
>hand, I'm just as for the SegaSonic story-
>line as I am for SatAM. What I don't see,
>however, is a lot of high-quality FanFics
>that are based on SegaSonic. In fact..
>nearly all of them are absolutely horrible.
>However, as I've so truly said here, "Sonic
>Runners" was absolutely.. beautiful.

Oo, where can I see it? I love that Segasonic.

And have a look at Sonic Ideal. Dawn's really done a great job. It's
very close. The atmosphere is there, the fun is there...

... Years ago, me and my friend used to draw short Sonic comics
in little A6 postcard-size drawing pads. They were so fun. We did loads
of them. Then i9n came the Brotherhood of Metallix and Brutus and planet
Meridian... And we stopped. It wasn't fun any more. It was too serious.
So we decided to end with a bang, literally, and blew up all the
characters. I must've done a lot of maturing between my fifteenth and
sixteenth birthdays because I HATE that story now.
Now that I'm older, and more into serious stuff, Fleetway
provides a large continuity full of stuff to write about. I've tried it,
I liked it. But then I saw Sonic Ideal and I LOVE it! The FUN is back!
It's exciting, it's enjoyable, it's fun to write about Sonic and Tails
taking on Eggman and his plans. It's not the new stuff that put me off,
it was when the feeling died. The all-round atmosphere of the Sonic
Team's ideal. And now Dawn's done a great job of bringing it back.
Obviously, as Alessandro has pointed out many a time, a few changes
needed to be made for it to be possible to write the comic (such as
using the Mobius of the Sky / Dark idea from the Anime and introducing a
character irritatingly similar to Sally), and I do find the need to use
original characters from time-to-time when writing Sonic Ideal scripts
(even though I do try to get rid of them or at least put them on hold by
the end of the issue), but all-in-all it's the closest we've got, and
it's great.

I just finished my latest script today.... At last I get to
start work on the Emerald Quest... And it's a BIG story.
--
David Bulmer

David Bulmer

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
In article <199808190604...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, MachHedge
<mach...@aol.com> writes

>>Well, Tiara wasn't TRULY SegaSonic, at least IMO. I feel that only Sonic
>>1,2,3&Knuckles, Jam, and Adventure can TRULLY be called SegaSonic. Then
>>there's the games that come close (the GG series), and the sorta nearby (the
>>rest of the Sonic games, minus Spinball for the Genny/MD)
>
>You forgot Mean Bean Machine. That was AoSTH.

It seems to me Segasonic is not simply the continuity in the
Sonic games, but rather is the continuity in the Sonic games made by the
Sonic Team. Which is why it has been observed not only by this poster
that only Sonic 1, 2, 3, &K, Jam and presumably Adventure have that feel
to them.
--
David Bulmer

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98

> And have a look at Sonic Ideal. Dawn's really done a great job. It's
> very close. The atmosphere is there, the fun is there...

<Snip!>

Say.. while we're on thius topic, could any of you guys please go check out
http://www.ellensburg.com/~katharin/gallery ?? There you'll find my Sonic
comic, and although it has very little to do with any continuities, it was a
fun little story to make, and as you said in all that sniped stuff, that's
where it counts, it really felt right. Anyway, nobody has ever EVER sent me
so much as a single comment on it, and if any of you guys would be so kind,
please give me some input...

Michael Stearns

Johnny Wallbank

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
> I just finished my latest script today.... At last I get to
>start work on the Emerald Quest... And it's a BIG story.
>--
>David Bulmer

Is that based on the Sonic RPG we canned, David?
=)

--
Sonikku
ANTI SPAM - REPLY TO SONI...@CABLEOL.CO.UK

SONIC3K LEVEL SELECT (aka 'SWINGING VINE') CODE:
Goto the Angel Island Zone, leap on the first vine
and press Left, Left, Left, Right, Right, Right, Up,
Up, Up.
Goto the Sound Test menu on the Title Screen
Goto the Mushroom Hill Zone, on the first pulley
enter the above code.

RazJMastrs

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
In article <cTLUSZAT...@bulmers.demon.co.uk>, David Bulmer
<da...@bulmers.demon.co.uk> writes:

> It seems to me Segasonic is not simply
>the continuity in the Sonic games, but rather
>is the continuity in the Sonic games made by
>the Sonic Team.

Hmm. I'm not sure whether to agree with that
or not, simply because (although it was easy
to tell that Mean Bean Machine and the love-
it-or-hate-it Sonic Spinball weren't made by
the Sonic Team of Japan) it isn't an 'official'
view. Also, Sonic X-Treme, as ill-fated as it
was, -was- in fact much more complex than
the other non-SoJ Sonic Team games. The
storyline didn't appear to be too 'off' to me. If
it was released, would our views be different?
Maybe.. so I'm mostly being optimistic, tho',
we won't ever really have a chance to find
out the answer to that question.

>Which is why it has been observed not only
>by this poster that only Sonic 1, 2, 3, &K,
>Jam and presumably Adventure have that
>feel to them.

Well, not only have none of us recieved the
chance to play X-Treme, but also, none of us
have come across a thorough description of
it's storyline. The SatAM characters, who all
made cameo appearances in Spinball as the
lot of us knows, are nowhere to be seen. If
another female was going to be introduced
into the SegaSonic timeline to be a potential
hook-up for Sonic, then naturally, Sega will
make it a Hedgehog. It's predictable. Also,
her design -didn't- look too frighteningly
American..

RazJMastrs

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
In article <cTOUCUAH...@bulmers.demon.co.uk>, David Bulmer
<da...@bulmers.demon.co.uk> writes:

> Oo, where can I see it? I love that
>Segasonic.

[snip]

Just to respond to this (un-helpfully), I don't
remember the URL of the site itself, but it's
posted often. The presence of it's author as
well as Ali has lead me to be confused, name-
wise.. their names are both three letters long
and start with an A, and since it's a task to
remember common names on a Newsgroup
as is, I'm having difficulty remembering the
author's name. However, I'm sure they'll
speak up upon seeing this.. or someone
else who remembers will. You might be able
to find an old post about it, talking of "Sonic
Runners."

David Bulmer

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
In article <35de93dc...@192.168.0.1>, Johnny Wallbank
<an...@spam.com> writes

>> I just finished my latest script today.... At last I get to
>>start work on the Emerald Quest... And it's a BIG story.
>>--
>>David Bulmer
>
>Is that based on the Sonic RPG we canned, David?
>=)

It is indeed. Except because it's a comic I've been able to add
a few more bits to it that wouldn't work as an RPG. Unfortunately I've
had to take some parts out as well, but it's all really quite exciting.
Any more detail than that though you'll have to Email me personally, as
you know the plot already and I don't want to spoil it for anyone else.
--
David Bulmer

David Bulmer

Aug 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/22/98
In article <199808221409...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, RazJMastrs
<razjm...@aol.com> writes
>In article <cTLUSZAT...@bulmers.demon.co.uk>, David Bulmer

><da...@bulmers.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>> It seems to me Segasonic is not simply
>>the continuity in the Sonic games, but rather
>>is the continuity in the Sonic games made by
>>the Sonic Team.
>
>Hmm. I'm not sure whether to agree with that
>or not, simply because (although it was easy
>to tell that Mean Bean Machine and the love-
>it-or-hate-it Sonic Spinball weren't made by
>the Sonic Team of Japan) it isn't an 'official'
>view. Also, Sonic X-Treme, as ill-fated as it
>was, -was- in fact much more complex than
>the other non-SoJ Sonic Team games. The
>storyline didn't appear to be too 'off' to me. If
>it was released, would our views be different?
>Maybe.. so I'm mostly being optimistic, tho',
>we won't ever really have a chance to find
>out the answer to that question.
Actually I agree - Sonic X-Treme sounded very canon. In fact I'm
toying with the idea of introducing the characters into Sonic Ideal, but
I'm reluctant to do it because I don't know how well it would be
recieved. And anyway, I don't think anyone knows what Dr Boobowski (or
whatever his name was) looked like.

>>Which is why it has been observed not only
>>by this poster that only Sonic 1, 2, 3, &K,
>>Jam and presumably Adventure have that
>>feel to them.
>
>Well, not only have none of us recieved the
>chance to play X-Treme, but also, none of us
>have come across a thorough description of
>it's storyline. The SatAM characters, who all
>made cameo appearances in Spinball as the
>lot of us knows, are nowhere to be seen. If
>another female was going to be introduced
>into the SegaSonic timeline to be a potential
>hook-up for Sonic, then naturally, Sega will
>make it a Hedgehog. It's predictable. Also,
>her design -didn't- look too frighteningly
>American..

Does anybody have any official pictures of Tiara and any other
Sonic X-Treme type stuff that they could scan? I've only ever seen fan
art and have no idea what Tiara is supposed to look like.
--
David Bulmer

Alessandro Sanasi

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
On 22 Aug 98, da...@bulmers.demon.co.uk (David Bulmer) wrote:

> It's not the new stuff that put me off,
> it was when the feeling died. The all-round atmosphere of the Sonic
> Team's ideal. And now Dawn's done a great job of bringing it back.
> Obviously, as Alessandro has pointed out many a time, a few changes
> needed to be made for it to be possible to write the comic (such as
> using the Mobius of the Sky / Dark idea from the Anime and introducing a
> character irritatingly similar to Sally),

Um... sorry to burst your bubble, but I somewhat doubt that I ever
suggested things like the use of anything from the Anime. IMHO those two
movies were fun, but don't fit into _any_ continuity, and for an _ongoing_
storyline this background is simply too unfitting.

I also don't think it's a good idea to add a character _similar_ to Sally,
nor do I think it would be wise to add Sera. Sera was way too childish
and whining (like Sailor Moon), and if you have a need for Sally, then why
not use the _real_ one anyway instead of a fake? (or do you prefer a
squirrel with a more 'sexual' appeal, judging from the images?)

What I *DO* remember saying long ago was that it was a bad idea to mix
Fleetway characters with SatAM characters in your stories. They simply
don't fit together, and merging them will IMHO destroy both continuities.
Either do one, or the other.

And one last comment about Sailor Moon... I still can't understand how
_anyone_ can like those episodes, since they are all the same (new daemon
arrives to steal a talisman or something in that direction, and the Sailor
Scouts destroy it with their powers/magic wand/heart crystal/whatever),
and have a 16-year-old girl who behaves like a 6-year-old as the star.
IMHO, if any of the daemons would ever be smart enough just walk over to
her while she is still doing her 'in the name of love I will punish you'
slogan and gave her a good punch, the series would probably be over in an
instant.

Heh... had to be said. :)

Bye

Alessandro
---
You get what anyone gets. You get a lifetime.

David Bulmer

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <6-PH8...@deco.franken.de>, Alessandro Sanasi
<ty...@deco.franken.de> writes

>On 22 Aug 98, da...@bulmers.demon.co.uk (David Bulmer) wrote:
>
>> It's not the new stuff that put me off,
>> it was when the feeling died. The all-round atmosphere of the Sonic
>> Team's ideal. And now Dawn's done a great job of bringing it back.
>> Obviously, as Alessandro has pointed out many a time, a few changes
>> needed to be made for it to be possible to write the comic (such as
>> using the Mobius of the Sky / Dark idea from the Anime and introducing a
>> character irritatingly similar to Sally),
>
>Um... sorry to burst your bubble, but I somewhat doubt that I ever
>suggested things like the use of anything from the Anime.
No, you didn't. Sorry if implied that you did. What I meant was,
to clear it up to anyone reading, that Alessandro said things would need
to be changed, and he was right. The brackets were just what Dawn
actually DID change rather than what was suggested.

> IMHO those two
>movies were fun, but don't fit into _any_ continuity, and for an _ongoing_
>storyline this background is simply too unfitting.

I agree, but in this case what Dawn's chosen seems to work.
There's none of this President stuff, the only thing that we're using is
Mobius of the Sky / Dark. It works really quite well and actually
provides a wider range of potential stories. We don't have to add secret
bases for Eggman and such, because he's got a city, and we there are so
many other elements which in another comic would need to be explained
(and has been explained in the existing Sonic comics,) but the Sky/Dark
idea explains them for us. Or rather, provides exactly the right amount
of mystery that means we don't have to explain. Type thing.

>I also don't think it's a good idea to add a character _similar_ to Sally,
>nor do I think it would be wise to add Sera. Sera was way too childish
>and whining (like Sailor Moon), and if you have a need for Sally, then why
>not use the _real_ one anyway instead of a fake? (or do you prefer a
>squirrel with a more 'sexual' appeal, judging from the images?)

Heh! I was a little worried about that. Again you're right,
neither Sally nor Sera particularly fit. Me and Dawn are working on her
a bit at the moment. I am trying to tone her down a bit in my scripts,
and use Sonic and Tails more often, to try and stick to the canon. Her
name has been changed: everyone calls her by her surname, Acorn, in the
same way they call the bad guy "Eggman" instead of "Dr. Eggman" or
whatever. But for now, the Princess Acorn we have works. It really boils
down to rading the comic. I don't try to pretend it's exactly spot-on as
the Sonic Team designed, but it's the closest we're likely to get in a
comic any time soon.

>What I *DO* remember saying long ago was that it was a bad idea to mix
>Fleetway characters with SatAM characters in your stories. They simply
>don't fit together, and merging them will IMHO destroy both continuities.
>Either do one, or the other.

Yes, I remember that. I agree, to introduce them all of a sudden
was just wrong really. I was quite a stereotypical Newbie back then,
having only visited a Sonic chat room a few times and not even joined
the newsgroup or Mailing Lists yet, so I didn't have much of an idea of
what's accxeptable and what's not. It was just something I was doing for
fun really, and then some people seemed to like it. I loved it at the
time, but now I hate it. I guess I did a lot of maturing since I was 15.
I'm only a year and a half older now, but when I look back at some of
the posts I made to the newsgroup around the EOM period, I just can't
believe I was such a troll back then. *B^D
What I have resolved to do however, is completely re-write that
particular story. Remember the Mobius Series and how it was al very
complicated? The way I was sort of confused as to what continuities I
was using etc etc. Anyway, I've found that if I convert them to Sonic
Ideal, treat them as prequels to the series (except for the three books
at the end,) it works. It _really_ works. Obviously the non-game books
are still arguably non-canon, but they're less noticably so in that they
fit in with the comics. EOM will be completely uprooted and started
again. Not many elements from the original story may survive in tact to
be honest, but I guess that's a good thing. *B^J
Back to the topic of Sonic Ideal, the decisions about using
Acorn and Mobius of the Sky have already been made, and in fact had been
before I got there, but the task I've set myself is to keep it as canon
as possible from here on. I'm trying to use my scripts to put these
elements to good use. The Mobius of the Sky thing is really working very
well and highly to our advantage; I'm not sure how this compares to the
Anime as I STILL haven't seen it, but it's really working for us.
Princess Acorn is sometimes useful and sometimes not. I don't know how
Dawn uses her, and I don't really mind, but I use her only when I need
to. When there needs to be another character for some reason. The rest
of the time I try to have Sonic and Tails go off without her. I must
admit though I have slipped up once and had Eggman capture her as bait -
ah well. It had to happen once.
But yes, I did word that first bit badly and seem to imply that
you said those things should be added. For anyone reading I'd like to
make clear that that's not what I meant. What I meant was that you told
me that a comic based on the "Segasonic" continuity (I'm getting sick of
that name as well now... *B^D) wouldn't work without some artificial
additives or preservatives. In this case those are Mobius of the Sky and
Princess Acorn. I do confess to using the Mobius of the Sky element
quite often in my scripts so far, but it really does work very well, and
as I've said explains some things we didn't understand, or at least
makes us think it has. The remaining mysteries (like why the FLoating
Island was in the sea at the start of S3 etc,) are explained in manuals
and such.

In closing (yes, I'm finally going to shut up,) I'd like to ask
if anyone has access to the Japanese game manuals for Sonic 1, 2, 3, and
S&K. And can translate. I need to know what we're missing out.
--
David Bulmer

RazJMastrs

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <6-PH8...@deco.franken.de>, ty...@deco.franken.de (Alessandro
Sanasi) writes:

[snip]

>And one last comment about Sailor Moon... I still
>can't understand how _anyone_ can like those
>episodes, since they are all the same (new daemon
>arrives to steal a talisman or something in that
>direction, and the Sailor Scouts destroy it with their
>powers/magic wand/heart crystal/whatever),

*ahem* And one last comment about Sonic the
Hedgehog.. I still can't understand how -anyone-

can like those episodes, since they are all the

same (new threat from Robotnink arises, Sonic
and the Freedom Fighters either raid Robotropolis
and/or go after it, and Sonic destroys the opposition
with a Power Ring/Sonic Spin/Speed/whatever)..

Dear Alessandro, it's the -detail- that matters.
There are -far- more characters than Serena
alone, and she wasn't always a 'whiney little
girl.' Plus, she won't always be. The other
Sailor Scouts have true lives and personalities
themselves, truthfully showing how teenagers
-are- today.. they can be level-headed and
strong in more ways than one (Sailor Jupiter),
spoiled and a general bitch who hides her
potential to be tolerable and kind (Sailor
Mars), childish and unnecessarily emotional,
but yet, funny, and a cool person and caring
friend to some (Sailor Moon herself).

I've read quite a bit of of Japanese episode
summarizations, but the information above
is just what I've gathered from faithfully
watching the North Americanized version.
The original show was -not as sugar-coated,
but even in that form, almost all of it's original
purpose shines through.

[snip]

>IMHO, if any of the daemons would ever be
>smart enough just walk over to her while she
>is still doing her 'in the name of love I will
>punish you' slogan and gave her a good punch,
>the series would probably be over in an instant.

As it would be if Robotnik decided to bomb the
Great Forest and get it done with. Or if he didn't
want to play games anymore, and worked up
his SWATbots, so their optical sensors could
successfully follow and lock onto Sonic as he
ran. -Or- if he created some sort of biological
weapon and released it within the forest. Again,
or if he set up his laboratories and factories
with the ability to violently explode (as well
as many other things, basically a very sudden
self-destruct) once they are tampered with by
anyone other than he, Snivley, or the SWATs.
There's even more ways, considering how very
powerful technologically Robotnik is.. but if he
really, -really- wanted to, he could wipe Sonic
out in an instant just the same.

It's the characters that the people enjoy in
both series, and this lets them ignore what's
repetitive about it, because greater things lie
underneath the surface.

Mark Palenik

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98

RazJMastrs wrote:

I can't beleive anybody actualy watches the show.

> I've read quite a bit of of Japanese episode
> summarizations, but the information above
> is just what I've gathered from faithfully
> watching the North Americanized version.
> The original show was -not as sugar-coated,
> but even in that form, almost all of it's original
> purpose shines through.

hm....North Americanised... or, to (mostly) quote Allesandro "Would you
preffer"Sailor moon "with a more 'sexual' appeal" Well, maybe you would.

> [snip]
> >IMHO, if any of the daemons would ever be
> >smart enough just walk over to her while she
> >is still doing her 'in the name of love I will
> >punish you' slogan and gave her a good punch,
> >the series would probably be over in an instant.

Agreed.

> As it would be if Robotnik decided to bomb the
> Great Forest and get it done with. Or if he didn't
> want to play games anymore, and worked up
> his SWATbots, so their optical sensors could
> successfully follow and lock onto Sonic as he
> ran.

I think you're over estimating the technology available. And if you think
that's true, it should hold true for any continuity (or atleast any one that
has Robotnik/Eggman and Sonic). Seriously, in Segasonic, why doesn't Robotnik
make the levels one big bed of spikes, or one big bottomless pit if he REALLY
wants to get rid of Sonic?

> -Or- if he created some sort of biological
> weapon and released it within the forest.

He hates all life and knows nothing about genetic engeneering. Why would it
have to be biological anyway?

> Again,
> or if he set up his laboratories and factories
> with the ability to violently explode (as well
> as many other things, basically a very sudden
> self-destruct)

He'd loose his empire, and probably wouldn't destroy the freedom fighters
anyway.

> once they are tampered with by
> anyone other than he, Snivley, or the SWATs.

Oh, then the freedom fighters would probably die (unless Sonic ran them out
extremely quickly), but again, he would lose hist empire (the most important
thing), as well as his life.

> There's even more ways, considering how very
> powerful technologically Robotnik is.. but if he
> really, -really- wanted to, he could wipe Sonic
> out in an instant just the same.

No.....

> It's the characters that the people enjoy in
> both series, and this lets them ignore what's
> repetitive about it, because greater things lie
> underneath the surface.

Really? You like whiney little poorly acted Japanese girls?

> -=(Raz Masters
> ,------------------------------------------------------------------,
> ``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
> -=[]` http://members.aol.com/RazJMastrs/ `[]=-
> -[] http://members.tripod.com/~SonicSector []-

But really, the animation in Sailor moon is some of the worst I've ever seen
(e.g., people crouching down and floating backwards instead of walking,
re-using clips of whizzing blue lines to make it look like Sailor Moon is
jumping really far but in reality just makes it look jumpy, and poorly drawn
mouth, eye, and facial motion). But I supppose it's no worse than most other
things made in Japan. <sarcasm> If it's made in Japan, it's got to be good
</sarcasm> Now, there's an oxy moron if I've ever seen one. Why does everybody
suddenly think that cartoons from this tiny little cramped country that makes
low budget movies are good? The plot to sailor moon is generaly weak, like
power rangers with 5 minutes of some other frivilous plot thrown in. The
charecters seem kind of........squeaky, which I find very annoying, and the
show....well, it really is like power rangers. And don't forget the
ANIMATION. I don't know ANYONE in the real world (not online) who has seen an
episode of Sailor moon that likes it.

--

_____
/-------\Mark Palenik, President of

Zuckuss199

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
Same with those "Superfriends" reruns.Here's a synopsis of each episode:
Bad guys plan
Bad Guys argue
Bad guys begin to agree.
Cut to Superfriends
Cut to Bad Guys setting a trap.
Cut to Superfriends stopping them
Bad Guys get away
Cut to Superfriends saying "If they strike again, we'll be there to stop them!"

Jose Solano

Chrondeath Dracion

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
In article <199808231348...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
razjm...@aol.com says...
>I've read quite a bit of of Japanese episode
>summarizations, but the information above
>is just what I've gathered from faithfully
>watching the North Americanized version.
>The original show was -not as sugar-coated,
>but even in that form, almost all of it's original
>purpose shines through.

This I agree with--SM is nowhere near as monotonous as...um...just about any
other show I can think of.

>[snip]
>>IMHO, if any of the daemons would ever be
>>smart enough just walk over to her while she
>>is still doing her 'in the name of love I will
>>punish you' slogan and gave her a good punch,
>>the series would probably be over in an instant.
>

>As it would be if Robotnik decided to bomb the
>Great Forest and get it done with.

Um...he did, in the games. Not the Great Forest, but he carpet-bombed an
entire area trying to get rid of Sonic... And I thought he was trying to do
that in SatAM, during the last couple episodes, with those Doomsday things...

> Or if he didn't
>want to play games anymore, and worked up
>his SWATbots, so their optical sensors could
>successfully follow and lock onto Sonic as he
>ran.

I fail to see how this would help--just 'cause they can see him doesn't mean
they can catch him...

> -Or- if he created some sort of biological
>weapon and released it within the forest.

See comment on doomsday devices... Maybe, previously, he didn't want to
destroy the resources in the forest, and towards the end of SatAM he was just
getting desparate enough to start trying mass destruction?

> Again,
>or if he set up his laboratories and factories
>with the ability to violently explode (as well
>as many other things, basically a very sudden

>self-destruct) once they are tampered with by

>anyone other than he, Snivley, or the SWATs.

Ok, that's just silly... You can't see Sonic outrunning an explosion? Not to
mention what happens if Robotnik mistypes his password, or all the damage the
FFs could do if they could get remote access...

>There's even more ways, considering how very
>powerful technologically Robotnik is.. but if he
>really, -really- wanted to, he could wipe Sonic
>out in an instant just the same.

Your examples don't work, but you have a point... Plotholes show up everywhere.
(Armageddon, for example--ok, one brainiac science guy says launching a nuke
won't do it. Why not try anyway? And why did they have a chaingun?), the
difference is in how obvious the holes are. SatAM follows Sonic doing
things--not Robotnik. As a result, the high point of the episode is usually
when Sonic uses a power ring to get out of trouble. In SM (and the Power
Rangers, who have the same problem), it's the same thing--the episode follows
the main characters, and climaxes at the fight scene. But there are a lot more
holes in SM/PR fight scenes than there are in Sonic using a power ring. Now,
if there were some big, red switch labeled Self-Destruct (no riff on your
earlier example intended) on whatever robot is currently trying to kill Sonic,
and he doesn't press it until he'd been fighting the robot for ten
minutes--THAT would be a major plot hole--especially if said self-destruct
button was on every robot Robotnik sent, and always in the same place.

>It's the characters that the people enjoy in
>both series, and this lets them ignore what's
>repetitive about it, because greater things lie
>underneath the surface.

The overall storyline makes it easier to ignore small problems in the plot of
an episode, but it's kind of hard to maintain suspense at the climax when
you know that the main character's got an instant-win toy stashed in their back
pocket. (Yes, I realize SatAM has the same problem with the power rings, but
those were generally used for escape, after the main job was done).

+--+
|\/| -Chrondeath Dracion
|/\| jed...@ix.netcom.com
+--+ Telekinesis: It's the thought that counts.

icky...@hotmail.com

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98

> And one last comment about Sailor Moon... I still can't understand how
> _anyone_ can like those episodes, since they are all the same (new daemon
> arrives to steal a talisman or something in that direction, and the Sailor
> Scouts destroy it with their powers/magic wand/heart crystal/whatever),
> and have a 16-year-old girl who behaves like a 6-year-old as the star.
> IMHO, if any of the daemons would ever be smart enough just walk over to
> her while she is still doing her 'in the name of love I will punish you'
> slogan and gave her a good punch, the series would probably be over in an
> instant.

Nono, see, then she'd go "Moon... Healing... ACTIVATION!!!" And fry their
brains, and if that didn't work one of the other sailors could jump up and
down and shout "Venus Love and Beauty Shock!" which would also fry their
brains.

Seriously, the trick to enjoying Sailor Moon is to 1. Suspend your disbelief
and 2. expose yourself to it constantly. It's like a drug. Your brain will
reject it at first but soon you will become dependant on it. It happened to
me, and it happened to a friend of mine, and it happened to all her friends
too. They'd say, "How can you stand to watch this?" and of course, a week
later they're all watching religiously too. Sailor Moon rehab? Sorry, not
availible at this time.. Poor girl even has Sailor Moon bedsheets.. (Just
for the record, I'm 18 and she's 21... So it's not a "youth" thing... ^_^

_AS_ for Sera, the thing is not that she's irritating and whiny like Sailor
Moon (Don't you get it? That's KAWAII!!! ^_^) it's that she's really quite
useless except as another princess to be rescued. And maybe comic releif.
Pulling in Sera (Geez, I can'r believe I'm spelling it that way) wouldn't
have much effect unless you destroyed her character utterly, and aside from
that, the Sonic anime universe is heavily populated by humans and not so many
furries, at least that's my impression, just like Sonic Adventure. You will
only see the furries vital to the plot, certainly no cities full of them, and
royal furries...

Yasha Rris

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
Mark Palenik wrote:

<snip>

>hm....North Americanised... or, to (mostly) quote Allesandro "Would you
>preffer"Sailor moon "with a more 'sexual' appeal" Well, maybe you would.

<snarls> Watch it, you're an inch
away from getting slapped. Just
because someone's opion differs
from yours doesn't mean you have
to go and insult them about it, jackass.
I'm sure you're very found of your
cheepass red shoe diaries.

>Really? You like whiney little poorly acted Japanese girls?

Have you even seen the Japanese
version?! Better yet, do you speak
Japanese well enough to understand
what is said? No? Then kiss my ass,
hakujin.

> But really, the animation in Sailor moon is some of the worst I've ever seen

AHAHAHAHAHAHA! <snort>
BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!

What, have you missed stuff like
"Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog"
or how about "101 Dalmations" or
perhaps any real new cartoon out
there, like "Jumanji" comes to mind.

>(e.g., people crouching down and floating backwards instead of walking,
>re-using clips of whizzing blue lines to make it look like Sailor Moon is
>jumping really far but in reality just makes it look jumpy, and poorly drawn
>mouth, eye, and facial motion).

That's because, in the earlier
version of Sailor Moon, they only
used 8 frames, instead of the normal 16.
However, later in the series, it vastly
improved. IF you want REAL quality,
see "Laputa: Castle in the Sky", "Kiki's
Dilverly Service" (both of which
have been adapted by Disney), "My
Neighbor Totoro", "Grave of Fireflies",
"Tenchi Muyo!". Those are some of the
better series that I know of personally,
some of my favorites as well. I could
go on and on, but my breath (typing)
would be wasted on an uncultured
bastard like you.

> But I supppose it's no worse than most other
>things made in Japan. <sarcasm> If it's made in Japan, it's got to be good
></sarcasm> Now, there's an oxy moron if I've ever seen one.

NANDA TO!? KONO YAROU!
ANTA NO BAKA SURU DA YO!
I've seen better quality stuff come
from Japan than America, buddy.
If you took the time to look, most
of your "favorite" stuff DOES in
fact come from Japan. Try going
to the supermarket and accually
looking at some of the labels
sometime. I find that a lot more
Anime have better story lines
and animation than american
cartoons. American animation
and cartoons always leaves me
with something lacking, except
for a couple of shows, like Sat AM.
They have no plot, no pizzaz, and
no depth into them. There's nothing
that leaves me going "Damn, what
a GREAT cartoon/movie/series!"
with most American animation, and
even movies. I find that forigen
films, not JUST Japanese, have
more of a satisfying feeling in there.
Most of the Japanese stuff that I
see and love is more emotionally
and mentally stimulating than
anything America has to offer.
Even SONIC came from Japan.

>Why does
>everybody
>suddenly think that cartoons from this tiny little cramped country that makes
>low budget movies are good?

Low budget? I think you're thinking
of the wrong country. America is
nototrius for low budget films and
bombs. And that "cramped little
country" is one of the most diverse,
cultural and economically sound
places to be. You'd be suprised
what was accually Japanese made.
You just show a lack of knowledge.

>The plot to sailor moon is generaly weak, like
>power rangers with 5 minutes of some other frivilous plot thrown in. The
>charecters seem kind of........squeaky, which I find very annoying, and the
>show....well, it really is like power rangers.

That's because America got their
digusting hands on it. The Japanese
version accually has a VERY deep
plot, moving and based on one of
the festivals Japan does. You need
to accually look and think about it.
It's active TV, something you need
to sit back and accually use your
brain for, not some retarded filler.
And DAI RANGERS was a lot
better than Power rangers, and
Dai Rangers is older than you,
and a hellva lot older than me.

And don't forget the
>ANIMATION. I don't know ANYONE in the real world (not online) who has seen
>an
>episode of Sailor moon that likes it.

Where do you live? Probably some
little town in the middle of nowhere
with a population of 200. My, you've
shown me what an uncultured pig
you are today. You can't handle
the opinions of others, and must
feel you're a true "patriot" if you
hate other countries so much.
You're not, you're just slime, and
slime like you often screams for
war, because your country is the
"best". I live in America, and sometimes,
especially when I speak to people
that live elsewhere in the world, I
feel ashamed at the attitudes of
my fellow americans-- people like
you, who don't take the time to
accually consider what they're doing,
or research their opinions. You've
shown me that your opinion is
irrelevant, that you take nothing
else into consideration when you
think, and that you also have way
too much pride and hubris. There's
nothing more valuable than ones'
opinion, but I think that a well
based opinion is worth more.
Until you can show me that you've
accually reason for your opnions
you have, your argument is pitiful.
All you said was "me too" and attacked
people who disagreed with the general
statement.

Grow up.

~Miyasha

"..Heart hold me strong and let my past fall to ashes, I sing this song on the
cliff of pestilince as the wave of destruction crashes..."

Hack Emery

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
> > And have a look at Sonic Ideal. Dawn's really done a great job. It's
> > very close. The atmosphere is there, the fun is there...
>
> <Snip!>
>
> Say.. while we're on thius topic, could any of you guys please go check out
> http://www.ellensburg.com/~katharin/gallery ?? There you'll find my Sonic
> comic, and although it has very little to do with any continuities, it was a
> fun little story to make, and as you said in all that sniped stuff, that's
> where it counts, it really felt right. Anyway, nobody has ever EVER sent me
> so much as a single comment on it, and if any of you guys would be so kind,
> please give me some input...
>
> Michael Stearns

I, uh, personally, didn't, um, like it. But I'm weird. Ignore me.

- Hack -

Sparrow

Aug 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/23/98
Chrondeath Dracion wrote:

> Um...he did, in the games. Not the Great Forest, but he carpet-bombed an
> entire area trying to get rid of Sonic...

Reminds me of Mouse Hunt...

And you see how much destruction those bombs caused to the area (they left
the place on fire!), and yet Sonic stands there untouched...

Of course, had it actually killed him, the game wouldn't have been very good,
would it?

Zuckuss199

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Bichat gawanki coskbat, tragnanye tukchankie droid!! Solo, thog tu bahkyn jaw
yaw!!!
Chesko pokuta tlesta tlenkto, dioska.
Chika wanyi Sailor Moon/Sonic. Boshuda.
Hissat, picha gawanki Sonic. Ronk, tobac, bon kamawallpa? Ayis kachun. Kawah
Image.
Bah! Enroya coonia.Emata pata enya, Sonic.

Oh sorry. No one here understands huttese or rodian?

Jose Solano

MachHedge

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
>I can't beleive anybody actualy watches the show.

Shut up. SHUT UP. I Watch that show, and if you look beyond all the bad
animation and poor Americanized voices, you'd see a little something called
"story".

>hm....North Americanised... or, to (mostly) quote Allesandro "Would you
>preffer"Sailor moon "with a more 'sexual' appeal" Well, maybe you would.

That's not what he said.

>I think you're over estimating the technology available. And if you think
>that's true, it should hold true for any continuity (or atleast any one that
>has Robotnik/Eggman and Sonic). Seriously, in Segasonic, why doesn't
>Robotnik
>make the levels one big bed of spikes, or one big bottomless pit if he REALLY
>wants to get rid of Sonic?

No, I Mean LOOK at it. Robotnik has a whole CITY filled with factories and
technology. I mean, one good-sized Nuke and The Great Forest and Knothole are
both wiped off the face of the planet. And with the SegaSonic Universe, why
Doesn't Robotnik just build a gigantic orbiting fortress shaped like an egg to
distroy all life on the planet? Wait... He did do that.

>He hates all life and knows nothing about genetic engeneering. Why would it
>have to be biological anyway?

Well, he could create a Robotic "virus" Much like Borg nanoprobes and let them
loose on the planet, but He won't, because He's an idiot. A bungling
cut-and-paste mad scientist.

>He'd loose his empire, and probably wouldn't destroy the freedom fighters
>anyway.

No, He'd lose that complex. That Lab. It wouldn't distroy EVERYTHING, just the
building and everything inside it.

>Oh, then the freedom fighters would probably die (unless Sonic ran them out
>extremely quickly), but again, he would lose hist empire (the most important
>thing), as well as his life.

No. He'd lose His Lab. That's all.

>No.....

Yes... Remember the Nuke.

>Really? You like whiney little poorly acted Japanese girls?

Ack! She's NOT! Notnotnotnotnotnotnot! That's the friggin English Voices! In
Japan, She's much more... sane.

>But really, the animation in Sailor moon is some of the worst I've ever seen
>(e.g., people crouching down and floating backwards instead of walking,
>re-using clips of whizzing blue lines to make it look like Sailor Moon is
>jumping really far but in reality just makes it look jumpy, and poorly drawn
>mouth, eye, and facial motion).

Ack! That's ANIME! A-N-I-M-E! It's SUPPOST to have those actions, It's their
STYLE! I'm sorry if it doesn't meet up to your standards, but somtimes you have
to look past the superficial to see the plot.

> But I supppose it's no worse than most other
>things made in Japan. <sarcasm> If it's made in Japan, it's got to be good
></sarcasm> Now, there's an oxy moron if I've ever seen one.

No, You're the oxy Moron. j/k. Anyway, an Oxymoron is a phrase that contradicts
itself. Unless Japan = Bad, than there's nothing wrong. Remember, Sonic was
made in Japan.

>Why does
>everybody
>suddenly think that cartoons from this tiny little cramped country that makes
>low budget movies are good?

Because, They ARE good. I suggest you watch a good Anime (Like on Sci-fi
Channel's "Saturday Anime"). Akira is a VERY good Anime.

> The plot to sailor moon is generaly weak, like
>power rangers with 5 minutes of some other frivilous plot thrown in.

Have you ever even SEEN SailorMoon?

> The
>charecters seem kind of........squeaky, which I find very annoying, and the
>show....well, it really is like power rangers. And don't forget the
>ANIMATION. I don't know ANYONE in the real world (not online) who has seen
>an
>episode of Sailor moon that likes it.

Remember, We're ALL real. We ALL have lives. We ALL do other stuff off the
computer, and we ALL like Anime :^).

~Mach Hedgehog~
President of NCC Productions,
Bringing you the best games for the best prices.

MachHedge

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
>Bichat gawanki coskbat, tragnanye tukchankie droid!!
I like my Super-Sailor Droid!!

>Solo, thog tu bahkyn jaw
>yaw!!!

Solo, I'm your Sister's brother's Aunt's Cousin's Father's Roommate!!!

>Chesko pokuta tlesta tlenkto, dioska.

I like Chess, Geek.

>Chika wanyi Sailor Moon/Sonic. Boshuda.

I wanna Kiss the Sailor Moon/Sonic Crossover. Hello.

>Hissat, picha gawanki Sonic. Ronk, tobac, bon kamawallpa? Ayis kachun. Kawah
Image

What? Pictures of Sonic are Neat. Cheese and Salt give you gas? It's okay. Cute
Picture.

>Bah! Enroya coonia.Emata pata enya, Sonic.

Gah! The Sauce is Burning, Sonic.

>Oh sorry. No one here understands huttese or rodian?

I do, You need to learn it better.

>Jose Solano

Chrondeath Dracion

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article, mach...@aol.com says...

>>Solo, thog tu bahkyn jaw
>>yaw!!!
>
>Solo, I'm your Sister's brother's Aunt's Cousin's Father's Roommate!!!

Whoops, that one's "One Thousand Herds of Elephants are Standing on my Foot."
We're sorry, please play again.

Mark Palenik

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

MachHedge wrote:

> Remember, We're ALL real. We ALL have lives. We ALL do other stuff off the
> computer, and we ALL like Anime :^).

The people may be real, but the world isn't.

Mark Palenik

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

Yasha Rris wrote:

> Mark Palenik wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >hm....North Americanised... or, to (mostly) quote Allesandro "Would you
> >preffer"Sailor moon "with a more 'sexual' appeal" Well, maybe you would.
> >

> <snarls> Watch it, you're an inch
> away from getting slapped. Just
> because someone's opion differs
> from yours doesn't mean you have
> to go and insult them about it, jackass.
> I'm sure you're very found of your
> cheepass red shoe diaries.
>
> >Really? You like whiney little poorly acted Japanese girls?
>
> Have you even seen the Japanese
> version?! Better yet, do you speak
> Japanese well enough to understand
> what is said? No? Then kiss my ass,
> hakujin.
>
> > But really, the animation in Sailor moon is some of the worst I've ever seen
>
> AHAHAHAHAHAHA! <snort>
> BWAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA!
>
> What, have you missed stuff like
> "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog"

Worse than that.

> or how about "101 Dalmations"

Never seen it (or, atleast, not the TV show).

> or
> perhaps any real new cartoon out
> there, like "Jumanji" comes to mind.

Well, atleast it's smooth.

> >(e.g., people crouching down and floating backwards instead of walking,
> >re-using clips of whizzing blue lines to make it look like Sailor Moon is
> >jumping really far but in reality just makes it look jumpy, and poorly drawn
> >mouth, eye, and facial motion).
>
> That's because, in the earlier
> version of Sailor Moon, they only
> used 8 frames, instead of the normal 16.

Well, I haven't seen it in a while.....

> However, later in the series, it vastly
> improved. IF you want REAL quality,
> see "Laputa: Castle in the Sky", "Kiki's
> Dilverly Service" (both of which
> have been adapted by Disney), "My
> Neighbor Totoro", "Grave of Fireflies",
> "Tenchi Muyo!". Those are some of the
> better series that I know of personally,
> some of my favorites as well. I could
> go on and on, but my breath (typing)
> would be wasted on an uncultured
> bastard like you.

You call Sailor Moon culture? Ha! Cartoons, for the most part, I wouldn't call
culture. I call, Dracula, Frankenstien, The Phantom of the Opera, The Death of
Ivan Illyich, Camelot, and The Once and Future King culture (I'm talking about the
books, and not neccisarily the movies or musicals made from them). And that's
just for books, I'm not going to bother to mention the countless plays, or pieces
of artwork that I have seen that I would consider culture. But as for cartoons, I
don't think that they have one bit of culture in them.

> > But I supppose it's no worse than most other
> >things made in Japan. <sarcasm> If it's made in Japan, it's got to be good
> ></sarcasm> Now, there's an oxy moron if I've ever seen one.
>
> NANDA TO!? KONO YAROU!
> ANTA NO BAKA SURU DA YO!
> I've seen better quality stuff come
> from Japan than America, buddy.
> If you took the time to look, most
> of your "favorite" stuff DOES in

Actualy, no.

> fact come from Japan. Try going
> to the supermarket and accually
> looking at some of the labels
> sometime.

I have.

> I find that a lot more
> Anime have better story lines
> and animation than american
> cartoons.

You're just thinking of cartoon network cartoons, absolute crap. But most of the
cartoons from Japan would be done as live action movies or TV shows here in
America.

> American animation
> and cartoons always leaves me
> with something lacking, except
> for a couple of shows, like Sat AM.
> They have no plot, no pizzaz, and
> no depth into them.

It all depends on what you watch.

> There's nothing
> that leaves me going "Damn, what
> a GREAT cartoon/movie/series!"
> with most American animation, and
> even movies. I find that forigen
> films, not JUST Japanese, have
> more of a satisfying feeling in there.

You probably watch American movies like Godzilla and The Lost World which have
nothing whatsoever to reccomend them. Oh, there's an other one, Sir Arthur Connan
Doyle's "The Lost World". An excelent book which made an outstanding radio play
(NOT Micheal Criton's "The Lost World").

> Most of the Japanese stuff that I
> see and love is more emotionally
> and mentally stimulating than
> anything America has to offer.

I doubt it. Did you know that Japan has one of the highest suicide rates? What
could THAT be due to (not cartoons, I know, but lack of creative freedom)?

> Even SONIC came from Japan.

I know, but the games themselves don't have the most interesting storylines, and I
do preffer the Saturday Am. show continuity to that of the games.

> >Why does
> >everybody
> >suddenly think that cartoons from this tiny little cramped country that makes
> >low budget movies are good?
>
> Low budget? I think you're thinking
> of the wrong country.

Oh, that's right, Japan made the ORIGINAL Godzilla movie. To quote Crow (or was
it Tom Servo) "Here's a little advice for Japan, STOP MAKING MOVIES".

> America is
> nototrius for low budget films and
> bombs. And that "cramped little
> country" is one of the most diverse,
> cultural and economically sound
> places to be.

I don't have anything against Japan itself, just the films that come out of it.

> You'd be suprised
> what was accually Japanese made.
> You just show a lack of knowledge.

How can I respond to that.......how about "no".

> >The plot to sailor moon is generaly weak, like
> >power rangers with 5 minutes of some other frivilous plot thrown in. The
> >charecters seem kind of........squeaky, which I find very annoying, and the
> >show....well, it really is like power rangers.
> That's because America got their
> digusting hands on it. The Japanese
> version accually has a VERY deep
> plot, moving and based on one of
> the festivals Japan does. You need
> to accually look and think about it.
> It's active TV, something you need
> to sit back and accually use your
> brain for, not some retarded filler.

I think everything I mentioned before now, about culture and what I do (instead of
watching "retarded fillers") should cover that.

> And DAI RANGERS was a lot
> better than Power rangers, and
> Dai Rangers is older than you,
> and a hellva lot older than me.

That wouldn't be hard to do. It's may be better, but it can still be bad.

> And don't forget the
> >ANIMATION. I don't know ANYONE in the real world (not online) who has seen
> >an
> >episode of Sailor moon that likes it.
> >

> Where do you live? Probably some
> little town in the middle of nowhere
> with a population of 200.

No, actualy, I'm from Naperville, which has about 200,000 people, and has the best
school system in the country.

> My, you've
> shown me what an uncultured pig
> you are today.

Because I don't watch Sailor Moon?

> You can't handle
> the opinions of others,

I believe that's you.

> and must
> feel you're a true "patriot" if you
> hate other countries so much.

I don't hate the country, just most of the cartoons from it.

> You're not, you're just slime, and
> slime like you often screams for
> war,

I don't know where exactly this is all coming from.

> because your country is the
> "best".

Well, it probably is in a lot of ways, not neccisarily the BEST, but we have a
better government than most countries, a high standard of living, plenty of land,
freedoms that some countries still don't have, a strong military (security), a
fairly low crime rate, and other stuff that could waste some more space here .

> I live in America, and sometimes,
> especially when I speak to people
> that live elsewhere in the world, I
> feel ashamed at the attitudes of
> my fellow americans-- people like
> you, who don't take the time to
> accually consider what they're doing,
> or research their opinions. You've
> shown me that your opinion is
> irrelevant,

Practice what you preach.

> that you take nothing
> else into consideration when you
> think,

You've told me that you jump to conclusions, are overly sensative, and are self
absorbed.

> and that you also have way
> too much pride and hubris. There's
> nothing more valuable than ones'
> opinion, but I think that a well
> based opinion is worth more.
> Until you can show me that you've
> accually reason for your opnions
> you have, your argument is pitiful.

How many times have I heard you say things like that with almost no reason.

> All you said was "me too" and attacked
> people who disagreed with the general
> statement.

Me too? I've always thought what I said, and always will.

> Grow up.

You first.--

Shades104

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
>t seems to me Segasonic is not simply the continuity in the
>Sonic games, but rather is the continuity in the Sonic games made by the
>Sonic Team. Which is why it has been observed not only by this poster

>that only Sonic 1, 2, 3, &K, Jam and presumably Adventure have that feel
>to them.
>--
>David Bulmer

I've had the same thought before. They're manuals are a lot better than the
American ones... They just look cooler. I can make .gifs of .jpgs of The
Japaneese Manual from Sonic Jam (I think), If anyoneis willing to translate.

-Shades
The Waffle Worshipper Without A Cause
WWP--http://members.aol.com/Shades104/

> You write that, and I'll take this
>samuria sword and shove it up your ***!!!!!
Up my asterisks? FOCK YOU!!!
-SonicFan

David Bulmer

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <199808232008...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, Yasha Rris
<yash...@aol.com> writes

> That's because, in the earlier
> version of Sailor Moon, they only
> used 8 frames, instead of the normal 16.
> However, later in the series, it vastly
> improved. IF you want REAL quality,
> see "Laputa: Castle in the Sky",
What is that Castle In The Sky movie? Could someone tell me a
bit about it? If anyone knows about the film (as it seems you do
Miyasha,) could they Email me privately with information. I'll tell them
why in my reply and yes, it is on-topic. *B^)
--
David Bulmer

David Bulmer

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article <199808240122...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, Zuckuss199
<zucku...@aol.com> writes
>Bichat gawanki coskbat, tragnanye tukchankie droid!! Solo, thog tu bahkyn jaw
>yaw!!!

>Chesko pokuta tlesta tlenkto, dioska.
>Chika wanyi Sailor Moon/Sonic. Boshuda.
>Hissat, picha gawanki Sonic. Ronk, tobac, bon kamawallpa? Ayis kachun. Kawah
>Image.

>Bah! Enroya coonia.Emata pata enya, Sonic.
>
>Oh sorry. No one here understands huttese or rodian?
>
>Jose Solano

Bim wibble mopayut dibble spadinky-sping-sping fladum!
Ippleblopp-whumm nippee bibble gameak newtagoup repolum armeelbo ga'ukk
ga'ukk wheeeeeejim fdumptch gazoink.

Oh, sorry. No on here understands My Made-Up On The Spot Language?
--
David Bulmer

fred...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

zucku...@aol.com (Zuckuss199) wrote:
> Bichat gawanki coskbat, tragnanye tukchankie droid!! Solo, thog tu bahkyn jaw
> yaw!!!
> Chesko pokuta tlesta tlenkto, dioska.
> Chika wanyi Sailor Moon/Sonic. Boshuda.
> Hissat, picha gawanki Sonic. Ronk, tobac, bon kamawallpa? Ayis kachun. Kawah
> Image.
> Bah! Enroya coonia.Emata pata enya, Sonic.
>
> Oh sorry. No one here understands huttese or rodian?
>
> Jose Solano

Could you please translate that for the English speaking people?
-Fred
http://www.angelfire.com/ny/fredsonic

Zuckuss199

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
>And with the SegaSonic Universe, why
>Doesn't Robotnik just build a gigantic orbiting fortress shaped like an egg
>distroy all life on the planet? Wait... He did do that.

Even though it is a rip-off og the Death Egg, don't blame SEGA. It made me
laugh when I first saw a picture of it.

>Why does
>>everybody
>>suddenly think that cartoons from this tiny little cramped country that
>makes
>>low budget movies are good?

Low Budget? No, not reay. Japan can use whatever technology they want, but they
prefer to keep tradition, as in the case of Godzilla (look at Godzilla vs.
Megalon, and then look at Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, then see which one is more
laughable, considering Destoroyah was made in 96, and Megalon in the
60's)>Remember, We're ALL real. We ALL have lives. We ALL do other stuff off

the
>computer, and we ALL like Anime

I like Anime.I especially like that Manga Star Wars comic :)

Jose Solano

Zuckuss199

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
I didn't make it up on the spot. It's actually in Starw Wars and Return of the
Jedi.

Jose Solano

Zuckuss199

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Nien Nunb: So I said "Hey ho, thats tripod!"
Lando: Don't worry, my friend's down there, he'll shut down the sheild
generator
Nien Nunb: JACKOFF JACKOFF JACKOFF
Lando: Or this'll be the shortest offensive of all time.

Lando: We've got to get a reading on that sheild!
Nien Nunb: One thousand herds of elephants are standing on my foot!
Lando: All fighters pull up!
Wedge: I'm not getting a reading, are you sure?

Jose Solano

Mark Palenik

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

Ram post puq ghItlh to tlhap logh.

Oh, sorry. No one here understands Klingon? (it actualy isn't quite right in
Klingon, but it was the closest I could come).

Chrondeath Dracion

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article, zucku...@aol.com says...

>>And with the SegaSonic Universe, why
>>Doesn't Robotnik just build a gigantic orbiting fortress shaped like an egg
>>distroy all life on the planet? Wait... He did do that.
>
>Even though it is a rip-off og the Death Egg, don't blame SEGA. It made me
>laugh when I first saw a picture of it.

Umm...Don't you mean it's a rip-off of the Death STAR? Or did I miss
something?

Chrondeath Dracion

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
In article, markp...@sprintmail.com says...

> But most of the
>cartoons from Japan would be done as live action movies or TV shows here in
>America.

Is there anything wrong with that? I mean, bad animation/good animation aside,
bad storyline/good storyline aside, is there really anything to recommend
live-action over animation, other than the preconception that cartoons are for
kids?

Mark Palenik

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

Chrondeath Dracion wrote:

> In article, markp...@sprintmail.com says...

> > But most of the
> >cartoons from Japan would be done as live action movies or TV shows here in
> >America.
>

> Is there anything wrong with that? I mean, bad animation/good animation aside,
> bad storyline/good storyline aside, is there really anything to recommend
> live-action over animation, other than the preconception that cartoons are for
> kids?

Not neccisarily, but if you're (in general, I mean anybody) going to complain about
the American cartoons, you should know that the cartoons from Japan wouldn't be
done as cartoons here, so it's really hard to compare the two.

Sparrow

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
I'm gonna start me another flamewar...

Just kidding. Nothing flameworthy from me in this post. Except perhaps that
it's incredibly pointless.

--------

The arrow things in parentheses indicate how many of them precede each line
written by the specified person.

Mark Palenik wrote stuff that I didn't reply to, (> > >)
then Yasha Rris wrote stuff, (> >)
then Mark Palenik wrote some more stuff, but I replied to it. (>)

> I call, Dracula, Frankenstien, The Phantom of the Opera, The Death of

> Ivan Illyich, Camelot, and The Once and Future King culture...

Dracula was a great book, though I didn't like the movie much. And that one
parody was pretty good, too.

> > NANDA TO!? KONO YAROU!
> > ANTA NO BAKA SURU DA YO!

Pardon?

> > I've seen better quality stuff come
> > from Japan than America, buddy.
> > If you took the time to look, most
> > of your "favorite" stuff DOES in

> > fact come from Japan. Try going
> > to the supermarket and accually
> > looking at some of the labels
> > sometime.

Just to toss a personal observation in, when I think of a supermarket, I
think of food. When I think of Japan, I think of technological....... stuff.
Like games and stuff (and good ones, too. I believe the Final Fantasy series
was made primarily in Japan, and I haven't seen a bad FF game yet. Now most
of the American games I've seen, on the other hand...). So, if I were made to
combine Japan and supermarkets in my head, I would probably most likely think
of those magnetic strips they put on things to thwart shoplifting :)

> I have.
>
> > I find that a lot more
> > Anime have better story lines
> > and animation than american
> > cartoons.
>
> You're just thinking of cartoon network cartoons, absolute crap.

The thing that makes that kind of funny is the way you worded it, it looks
like you're calling Miyasha "absolute crap" rather than cartoon network
cartoons. Nothing personal against Miyasha, just my odd sense of humor.

> But most of the
> cartoons from Japan would be done as live action movies or TV shows here in
> America.
>
> > American animation
> > and cartoons always leaves me
> > with something lacking, except
> > for a couple of shows, like Sat AM.
> > They have no plot, no pizzaz, and
> > no depth into them.

You want to see a show with no plot, pizzaz, or depth? How about bad acting
thrown in? Try Baywatch. That show's acting is SO bad, the plots so cheesy,
and the depth so shallow that I can't even stand to watch it but to make fun
of it. And even then, I have to mute it so I can't hear their bad acting.

> > Even SONIC came from Japan.
>
> I know, but the games themselves don't have the most interesting
> storylines,

Well, neither does....... um...... uh-- I'll get back to you on that one...

> > America is nototrius for low budget
> > films and bombs.

Yes, we are definitely famous for bombs. <insert tasteless comment about
terrorism here>

> > And DAI RANGERS was a lot
> > better than Power rangers,

Do you realize that Dai Rangers (should I have capitalized the whole thing? I
don't know) sounds a lot like "Die, Rangers"? At least the way I'd pronounce
it. It sounds kind of funny, referring to the Power Rangers.

> > Where do you live? Probably some
> > little town in the middle of nowhere
> > with a population of 200.

Hey, don't dis towns with small populations. I live in a town with about 120
people in it. And it's been that way for years. Why? Because we really have
no room left to grow and expand. But I like it here.

> No, actualy, I'm from Naperville, which has about 200,000 people, and has
> the best school system in the country.

I'm from Emery County, and we have lazy, undertrained teachers who don't know
what the heck they're doing half the time.

> > My, you've
> > shown me what an uncultured pig
> > you are today.

Hey! Oh, wait.. you couldn't have been talking to me...

I have but one more thing to say: no me gusta Taco Bell.

Sparrow

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Mark Palenik wrote:

> Ram post puq ghItlh to tlhap logh.

No me gusta Taco Bell.

Alessandro Sanasi

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On 23 Aug 98, razjm...@aol.com (RazJMastrs) wrote:

> Dear Alessandro, it's the -detail- that matters.
> There are -far- more characters than Serena
> alone, and she wasn't always a 'whiney little
> girl.' Plus, she won't always be. The other
> Sailor Scouts have true lives and personalities
> themselves, truthfully showing how teenagers
> -are- today..

[...]

Hooo boy, what have I started? Guess I have to clear a few things up...

The reason why I think Sailor Moon isn't worth watching is mostly because
of two things: 1. the general plot outline is almost always the same and
repeats way too often, and 2. the behavior of the 'team leader' is way too
silly and childish.

When comparing Sonic with Sailor Moon, I have to say that SatAM was
_never_ as 'stereotypical'. The SatAM episodes had a _much_ greater
variety. Sure, the basic _idea_ stayed the same, namely Sonic spoiling
one of Robotnik's plans, but the _plots_ were always different from one
another, with lots of new ideas in every episode, and also with different
ways to _solve_ the dangerous situation at hand.

Sailor Moon does offer _some_ variety too, but mostly it goes down to
this: a new kind of daemon is sent out to get a star gem / talisman /
whatever they are currently after from inside a human, then the Sailor
Scouts show up, do their usual morphing and special fighting stunts, then
Sailor Moon pulls out her heart gem / wand / whatever she's currently
using and finishes the daemon off. And if that fails, it's a safe bet
that Tuxedo Mask will appear to save the day. It's way too predictable.
The Freedom Fighters on the other hand plan, fight and win _differently_
in each episode. In Sonic, it's not just "Sonic against another new robot
creation from Robotnik, which he then finishes off by pulling out a Power
Ring". There was _much_ more to it.

The few Sailor Moon episodes that _are_ different from this 'general
principle', where for example a Sailor Scout is on her own, where we truly
learn something new, or where they simply do different things than just
fighting a new daemon with the usual methods, those are so _extremely_
rare that I really don't understand how anyone can be a fan of this...
it's nore likely to fall asleep once you have seen a few episodes and know
the general outline.

Also, as I mentioned above, Sailor Moon is behaving *WAY* too silly to
qualify for an interesting character. It's impossible to 'feel' with her,
share her emotions and fears... she's just a whiney girl who always
screams around and gets goo-goo eyes whenever Tuxedo Mask comes along,
forgetting everything around her. I don't see much 'personality' in her
except that she's acting way too childish for her age. Although
especially Japanese people seem to love it, I simply can't get a liking
for such a character. Guess that's also the reason why I don't like any
of those Japanese karate movies... who cares if Chackie Chan can jump 5
metres through the air and do unbelieveable stunts if he always behaves
like a *CLOWN*, especially when fighting? :)

As a final note, a few people keep saying that the original Japanese
version was so much better, until it was butchered in the US. IMHO, it
might be true that it was _a little_ better, but I strongly doubt that it
would make that much of a difference if they left it 'as is'. Even if the
dubbing is bad and some scenes were cut out, it definitely didn't change
the general plot outline as I described above, and such a plot outline is
_boring_.

Others say, Sailor Moon's animation is crap. Although I never complained
about the artwork, but only about _plot_, I have to say that IMHO the
artwork is _not_ bad, it's an average quality for a Japanese cartoon
series, no more and no less. However, bringing _movie_ examples like
"Grave of the Fireflies" is unfitting, since animated movies are _always_
done with more care and detail, in both the US and Japan (with the sole
difference that Japanese animation looks, well, _different_). But be it
as it may, even the best animation doesn't hide a boring and always-the-
same plot.

Now, let's get back to Sonic, ok? ;)

Bye

Alessandro
---
You get what anyone gets. You get a lifetime.

Chrondeath Dracion

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article, terreo...@geocities.com says...

>> > I've seen better quality stuff come
>> > from Japan than America, buddy.
>> > If you took the time to look, most
>> > of your "favorite" stuff DOES in
>> > fact come from Japan. Try going
>> > to the supermarket and accually
>> > looking at some of the labels
>> > sometime.
>
>Just to toss a personal observation in, when I think of a supermarket, I
>think of food.
<snip>

> So, if I were made to
>combine Japan and supermarkets in my head, I would probably most likely think
>of those magnetic strips they put on things to thwart shoplifting :)

They're putting those things on food, now? I was wondering why those theft
detection systems keep going off whenever I walk through...must have been that
banana...gotta remember--Remove the strips BEFORE you eat it!

David Bulmer

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <199808242043...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, Zuckuss199
<zucku...@aol.com> writes

>I didn't make it up on the spot. It's actually in Starw Wars and Return of the
>Jedi.

What, that language? I know, but the one I did was in fact made
up on the spot.
--
David Bulmer

RazJMastrs

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
In article <6-XIS...@deco.franken.de>, ty...@deco.franken.de (Alessandro
Sanasi) writes:

>Hooo boy, what have I started?

You've riled up someone who really sticks to
their guns. Congratulations!

And hey, before you start reading this.. don't
worry, it has enough on-topic content to be
safely posted here. That might attract the
interest of some others skimming things, as
well.

>The reason why I think Sailor Moon isn't worth
>watching is mostly because of two things: 1.
>the general plot outline is almost always the
>same and repeats way too often,

The main reason being that, you've only seen
the NA version. I made it a point to read this
whole post before responding, so the response
itself would make sense.

The Japanese version -is- in fact much better,
the main reason being that there are additional
series'. Remember, North America and some
other countries (Mexico and Canade included)
only recieved episodes from the original Sailor
Moon, while there's many others, as well as
movies.. the stories become more complex
and definitely far more varied. So, it's basically
that, you can feel free to not appreciate the
NA version, -if- you view it as an independent
series with no following episodes (which, in a
sense, it is). However, Sailor Moon altogether
-is- significantly different, because the entire
series is much longer than what's been seen
in America (and as it seems, Germany).

So, yes, the Japanese series is in fact much
different. There's far more to it.

>and 2. the behavior of the 'team leader' is way
>too silly and childish.

That may be true, but it also isn't exactly
welcomed or even always tolerated by all of
the other Scouts/Luna. Also, here's where I'll
put in a little personal view of mine.. do you
sincerely think that a regular teenager would
be incredibly brave upon becoming a 'defender
of justice,' or imaginative with their speeches?
Nah, not really. They would be just as easily
frightened, if not moreso, than Serena. Truly,
it is a realistic view.. because Serena -is-
indeed the 'rarity,' but is represented truthfully,
considering her childish personality. There's
plenty of kids/young adults out there who do
act similarly (case in point, Joya, and no, this
isn't an insult.. she has fun, and enjoys things
normally only children like), and who would
be scared out of their wits if they ever came
up against things they formerly thought lived
only in fairy tales.

To be honest? I'd probably soil myself. It'd
take a while for -any- normal kid to get used
to such a dramatic and unbelievable change,
no matter how they're raised, or how they
act. Really, truly, looking at many of the teens
of today.. you think they'd be instantly brave?

>When comparing Sonic with Sailor Moon,
>I have to say that SatAM was _never_ as
>'stereotypical'.

Honestly? Antoine's accent is quite exaggerated,
as is his lack of knowledge when it comes to
the Mobian (English) language. Oh, and to
respond to something on-topic for those of
you who are skimming over this.. ever notice
how Sonic does in fact ask things to be re-
stated in English? True, that makes things
easier to understand for kids, but it could
also be another little factoid hinting to Mobius
being a post-apocalypse Earth. I'm not really
for that idea, but if it's the official truth, can't
argue against it in hopes of that changing..

Bunnie's also got an exaggerated accent.
Now, their accents do in fact fit them well,
and do represent (as someone said formerly)
the fact that they're a group of Mobians from
different cultural worlds.. just as the Sailor
Scouts are dramatically different in attitude,
yet, work together when necessary, because
that's what's important.

Back to the stereotype, Sally's smart and
also atheletic, a typical woman liberator's
idea of perfection. There's very many of
them out there.. and many of them have
one the heart of the hero in the spotlight.

>The SatAM episodes had a _much_ greater
>variety.

Did it, truly? Comparing it to Sailor Moon NA
(I don't wanna keep typing out "the Sailor
Moon which you've seen" or things like that)
-alone-, I could agree. However, writing off the
entire Sailor Moon series'? I can't agree with
that in the least.

[snip]

>Sailor Moon does offer _some_ variety too,

[description snipped]

>.. And if that fails, it's a safe bet that Tuxedo

>Mask will appear to save the day. It's way
>too predictable.

Not always. I'm not easily satisfied, trust me..
horrendous cartoons like the aformenetioned
piece of crap, Jumanji, just utterly disgust me.
Another is that flawed G.I. Joe Extreme junk,
as well as Incredible Hulk, Silver Surfer, the
supremely idiotic Power Rangers in Space,
all of Disney's moronic series based on the
movies (which ruined most of them for me,
and this new Pocahontas release.. *choke*),
and so on, so forth..

Anyway, back to the point.. I definitely wouldn't
go as far as calling Sailor Moon, even the NA
version, entirely predictable. Yes, you know
they'll beat that monster and achieve their
goal, but so will Sonic. Although you have
clearly stated that you do know that Sonic's
-general- plot is the same, you didn't compare,
as far as what the similarities are. What you're
basically doing is repeating the same argument
I'm giving, from a strictly all-for-Sonic view, not
taking time to bring up any of the stereotypical
and/or predictable traits of SatAM.

>The Freedom Fighters on the other hand plan,
>fight and win _differently_ in each episode. In
>Sonic, it's not just "Sonic against another new
>robot creation from Robotnik, which he then
>finishes off by pulling out a Power Ring". There
>was _much_ more to it.

Yes, there was, as there is in Sailor Moon. What
Sailor Moon has is something SatAM hardly ever
had.. a true sense of "I saw the ep that had what
they're referring to, I know what that is" kinda
thing. Sonic, sadly, hardly ever did that.. almost
everything which they -did- do that continued
from other eps didn't happen until the end of the
series.

Just like the crystals you've mentioned. For a
good while, that was a goal.. through chains of
eps, not just one, or two. Then, there's also all
of the other series', which go on and on into
totally different things.. including what you'll
never see in America, like dramatic deaths.
There's an incredible depth there that hardly
anyone has seen, and one which some wish
to ignore (which is something I despise, just
as much as I can't stand egotists. If you don't
know about something but don't want to, you
can say you just don't like it and don't wanna
hear about it, but you shouldn't go as far as
bashing unless you know what you're talking
about).

>The few Sailor Moon episodes that _are_
>different from this 'general principle', where
>for example a Sailor Scout is on her own,
>where we truly learn something new, or where
>they simply do different things than just fighting
>a new daemon with the usual methods, those
>are so _extremely_ rare that I really don't
>understand how anyone can be a fan of this...

It's quite simple.. it holds you attention, and
your curiosity. You see episodes that stand
out from all of the rest, and enjoy them even
more. Plus, as I've already said more than
enough, there's even more to the Japanese
version.. which is why I don't see how it's right
to entirely write all of "Sailor Moon" off if one
hasn't seen enough of it to judge.

>Also, as I mentioned above, Sailor Moon is
>behaving *WAY* too silly to qualify for an
>interesting character.

It is exaggerated, but it's just who she is...
literally. I'm not saying that to push aside the
task of describing her further, but she's truly
represented as just a kid who's real damned
stubborn about growing up. People in the
series itself get just as sick of it as you do,
which also shows a little more realisim. Yes,
it's pretty stereotypical, but no -real- young
kid's gonna step up to a monster fearlessly
and beat it senseless. Also, although there
may not be in Germany (which might be how
you couldn't relate if this is so), there are very,
VERY many American teens and even young
women who act like her. Even worse, actually.
So, in a general sense.. she's very true to life.

>Although especially Japanese people seem
>to love it, I simply can't get a liking for such
>a character.

Because she's silly, and isn't the kind of un-
naturally brave super heroine? That makes the
series even more enjoyable, I think. She's not
yet another supremely intelligent and extremely
athletic girl, who somehow also finds the time
to attempt saving the world and helping kids
with their homework. Some people may find
her annoying because she isn't 'different' than
people who are very real. She's not from some
other planet, nor is she a species other than
human.

Also, this is mostly concentrating on Serena
alone, but I'd like to defend the other Sailor
Scouts, as well. Each of them have their
respective attitudes, represented truthfully.
You may think they're exaggerated, but as
far as snobs go (Rae), I honestly have seen
much worse. Today, even.

>Guess that's also the reason why I don't like
>any of those Japanese karate movies... who
>cares if Chackie Chan can jump 5 metres
>through the air and do unbelieveable stunts if
>he always behaves like a *CLOWN*, especially
>when fighting? :)

I don't, and that's why I'm not interested in those
movies, so I can gladly agree there. I don't watch
things that have absolutely no redeeming qualities.
That's also another reason why I keep away from
very many American movies, while I love some.
I like some French cartoons, although (sorry
Solly, but it's gotta be said) most of them are
shoddily animated and incredibly boring.

To comment on the Godzilla view, here.. first of
all, don't bash the original movies because it was
just a guy in a rubber suit.. around the same time,
all America had was silver dinner plates being
flung around on fishing string, and people wearing
buckets on their heads. Technology wasn't then
what it is now. Also, it has a deeper meaning.
People in Japan were frightened about what
coould potentially come of radiation/bombings,
and Godzilla was born of those fears. Now, it's
a fun movie to watch for a good laugh, but it
also deserves respect. It held a meaning, one
it shouldn't be shunned for.

So, it isn't wise to bash things when (A) it was
excellent in it's age, whether it looks bad now
or not, and (B) if it held a significant meaning,
especially a cultural one.

[claim of "no difference in Japanese SM" cut]

>Even if the dubbing is bad and some scenes
>were cut out, it definitely didn't change the
>general plot outline as I described above, and
>such a plot outline is _boring_.

Well, as mentioned above, yes, there is indeed
a significant difference. The series goes much
deeper than what's been seen. However, DiC
and others seem hesitant to continue dubbing
episodes, since for one, they already changed
the sex of one character (due to not wanting to
deal with homosexuality issues), and also don't
want to deal with the death/sadness/complexity.
As many know, the higher ups of this nation
still believe that kids are sweet, innocent little
angels. South Park, although a little (yes, just
a little) exaggerated, is the truest representation
of kids I've seen. They cuss, they fight.. but
that isn't what those overly-protective annoying
parents want you to see, or want their sheltered
children to believe.

>Others say, Sailor Moon's animation is crap.

This may seem like a simple retort, but could
you do much better? Honestly? And also, if
you'll call that crap, I'll call SatAM's animation
crap. It's not of as high quality, but the back-
drops are detailed.. as are Sailor Moon's. You
see, a lot of the supposed 'points' you're
making against Sailor Moon can just as easily
apply to Sonic, and I'm not frightened of making
Sonic look a little bad. I'm definitely a very true
fan (I plan on purchasing a Dreamcast only for
Sonic Adventure, in hopes of shitting myself
upon seeing it), but I also like to voice realistic
views.

>Although I never complained about the artwork,
>but only about _plot_, I have to say that IMHO
>the artwork is _not_ bad, it's an average quality
>for a Japanese cartoon series, no more and no
>less.

Oh, it's definitely less, I'll say that without regret.
You tried to comment on it just a little there, but
it really is low-quality animation for a Japanese
series. The Sonic Anime was also poor quality,
sadly. It had it's graphical strongpoints.. but (you
knew this was coming) so did Sailor Moon.

>However, bringing _movie_ examples like
>"Grave of the Fireflies" is unfitting, since
>animated movies are _always_ done with
>more care and detail, in both the US and
>Japan (with the sole difference that Japanese
>animation looks, well, _different_).

And more often than not, better. Characters
do have different and often individual looks,
while Disney (to name an extremely famous
American company) sticks to nearly identical
designs, all the way down to face shape. The
recent release "Mulan" was an -extremely-
welcome exception, seeing as how this movie
was absolutely -brilliant-. So, saying that there
basically shows that I -do- have respect for
American products as well.. however, I'm very
into art (especially animation/graphic), and I
judge things as fairly as possible. Jumanji is
absolutely horrible in every known aspect,
as is Incredible Hulk, and basically all of the
other American series' mentioned.. while
"Invasion America" was, from the impression
I've recieved, absolutely extravagant.

>But be it as it may, even the best animation
>doesn't hide a boring and always-the-same
>plot.

No, it doesn't, and that's why Sailor Moon is
running strong, even without top-of-the-line,
mind-blowing animation. Just as SatAM so
rightfully did.

>Now, let's get back to Sonic, ok? ;)

To be totally honest here, Alessandro.. I do
in fact believe that this is an on-topic talk,
because for one, both the series SatAM and
Sailor Moon are being intelligently compared,
and other things are being mentioned as well.
I just think you're getting a little too strict..
afterall, you can't hold a true discussion by
saying "Sonic" every other line.

>Alessandro
>---
>You get what anyone gets. You get a lifetime.

-=(Raz Masters
,------------------------------------------------------------------,
``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
-=[]` http://members.aol.com/RazJMastrs/ `[]=-
-[] http://members.tripod.com/~SonicSector []-

Zuckuss199

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Actually, I was just randomly adding stuff Jabba and Greedo said. Here's a
transaltion:

> Bichat gawanki coskbat, tragnanye tukchankie droid!! Solo, thog tu bahkyn
>jaw
> yaw!!!
> Chesko pokuta tlesta tlenkto, dioska.
> Chika wanyi Sailor Moon/Sonic. Boshuda.
> Hissat, picha gawanki Sonic. Ronk, tobac, bon kamawallpa? Ayis kachun.
>Kawah

"I will not give up my favorite decoration!
I like Captain Solo where he is!"
"I've been looking forward to this for a long time"
Chika Wanyi: Made up
Boshuda: No translation is given (I dont think so)
"At last we have the mighty Sonic."
the next part is translated by C-3PO:
"The elustrious Jabba the Hutt welcomes you and will gladly pay the reward of
$25,000">> >Image.
Image Comics

> Bah! Enroya coonia.Emata pata enya, Sonic.

"Give it to me". The other phrase is something the jawas say.

Jose Solano

cmj

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
to RHONDA ZEIGAFUSE

I'm glad we never got to see Tiara B. She would've made a negative
girlfriend for Sonic, anyway. I think she would be better off with
Geoffrey St. John, that way he could finally leave Sonic and Sally alone!

Joya Nappo
fo...@concentric.net

C'mon Over And Do The Twist!
-Kurt Cobain!
(1967-1994)
(Lead singer of Nirvana!)

Zuckuss199

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
What the hell Mark? Is it me or are you just chasing me around with a
flamethrower al the sudden?!

Jose Solano

Sparrow

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Chrondeath Dracion wrote:

> They're putting those things on food, now? I was wondering why those theft
> detection systems keep going off whenever I walk through...must have been
> that banana...gotta remember--Remove the strips BEFORE you eat it!

They're REALLY starting to crack down on those grape-stealers.

Mark Palenik

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

Zuckuss199 wrote:

Er, maybe it's just you. I just posted the klingon thing for the heck of
it, and I can't really find anything else in this subject line where I've
responded to anything you've said. But then again, often after posting I
forget who I'm replying to, so there could be something under another
thread..

MachHedge

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
> I'm glad we never got to see Tiara B. She would've made a negative
>girlfriend for Sonic, anyway. I think she would be better off with
>Geoffrey St. John, that way he could finally leave Sonic and Sally alone!

::Mach looks it over, um-hmms and goes into spaz mode.::
AAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's ALL well and GOOD, but Tiara B would have NOTHING to do with the Archie
Universe, dangit! She's purely SegaSonic, and in that universe, Sally and St.
John DON'T exist.
::End of Spaz mode::
I feel... clensed...

~~Mach Hedgehog~~
With half his brain tied
behind his back, for no
reason whatsoever.

Alessandro Sanasi

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98
On 24 Aug 98, zucku...@aol.com (Zuckuss199) wrote:

> Bichat gawanki coskbat, tragnanye tukchankie droid!! Solo, thog tu bahkyn
> jaw yaw!!!
> Chesko pokuta tlesta tlenkto, dioska.
> Chika wanyi Sailor Moon/Sonic. Boshuda.
> Hissat, picha gawanki Sonic. Ronk, tobac, bon kamawallpa? Ayis kachun. Kawah

> Image.

> Bah! Enroya coonia.Emata pata enya, Sonic.
>

> Oh sorry. No one here understands huttese or rodian?
>
> Jose Solano

Haven't you gotten it into your head already that *NO ONE* wants to hear
your Star Wars crap on a *SONIC* newsgroup?

For a while, I had the impression you changed... but it seems as if you
are just the same nuisance you were before. Please leave.

> I didn't make it up on the spot. It's actually in Starw Wars and Return of
> the Jedi.

Who cares?

Bye

Gen Fluke

Aug 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/27/98

MachHedge wrote:

Actually i think Sally does exist... but shes 4 inches tall, with a big bushy tail
and buck teeth.. hey wait.. thats Gontermans Sally... O.o

-Gen

Yasha Rris

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Mark Palenik wrote:

Jeez, learn how to snip! You don't
have to post a whole 3000 k message.

<snip>

>> What, have you missed stuff like
>> "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog"
>
>Worse than that.

And you saw, what, one episode? Or
not even that? And you saw the
AMERICAN version? Tell me, what
basis do you have to say anything?

>> or how about "101 Dalmations"
>
>Never seen it (or, atleast, not the TV show).

Convinient

>> or
>> perhaps any real new cartoon out
>> there, like "Jumanji" comes to mind.
>
>Well, atleast it's smooth.

No it's not. Unless you've gone to
animation school, I really think you
don't know what you're talking about.
I'll admit, the first season of Sailor Moon
had cheap animation, but Jumangi was
so utterly horrifying I couldn't put it
into words. Not like you'd listen.
Sailor Moon's animation wasn't jumpy,
it wasn't causing epileptic fits, and the
style is a lot better than most American
cartoons.

>Well, I haven't seen it in a while.....

That is -exactly- what I am talking about.
You haven't seen it. You said so yourself,
you only saw like, one episode of the NA
version, which everyone completely
bags on anyway. FYI, there's FIVE
seasons of Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon,
and they got a LOT better after the
middle of the second.

>You call Sailor Moon culture? Ha! Cartoons, for the most part, I wouldn't
>call
>culture.

Because, like most people in America,
I gather you believe cartoons are for
kiddies. Sailor Moon has a hidden focus
on one of the festivals that happens later
in the year (I suck at remembering the
stupid festivals.. It's Usagi-matsuri I think..)
that focuses on the "Rabbit" of the moon.
We have the Man on the Moon and the
Japanese have the "Rabbit". Usagi,
"Serena's" real name (GAH! HOW
HORRIBLE! -SERENA-) mean's
"Rabbit" or "Bunny". You leave the
Rabbit of the Moon some odango,
a Japanese desert, shaped like Usagi's
hair. Instead of "Meatball head", it's
"Odango Atama".

> I call, Dracula, Frankenstien, The Phantom of the Opera, The Death
>of

>Ivan Illyich, Camelot, and The Once and Future King culture (I'm talking
>about the
>books, and not neccisarily the movies or musicals made from them).

Read them all. Dracula was so boring,
Frankenstien was too, I always hated
Camelot. They're so overplayed and
boring that it sucks. Did you think that
I was talking about a whiny teenager
with funny hair when I said culture?
No, I was not. I was talking about
the festivals. Go see "Grave of
the Fireflies". Now THAT is culture.

And
>that's
>just for books, I'm not going to bother to mention the countless plays, or
>pieces
>of artwork that I have seen that I would consider culture.

I've seen many books, many plays
and thousands of peices of artwork,
if not millions as well. I've studied
history, extensivly, on my own and
in school. I find a lot of that crap
boring. I love castles, haunted
castles especially, I love Scotland
and Ireland, and Germany. I like
a lot of forigen things.. and America
has no "real" culture, because we
are a "melting pot" and a lot of
the things we do came from many
other countries. Don't think I'm
some stupid little ignoramous, I've
done my studying, and I've found
stuff like you described so utterly
lifeless, overrated and boring.

Seems to suit everything you've
said.

>But as for
>cartoons, I
>don't think that they have one bit of culture in them.

Because you think Cartoons Are For Kids.
They're not buddy. Japan doesn't work
like America, and neither does a lot of
other countries. They're not really all
cartoons, they're just stories that are
animated. I love animation, it's really
mostly my entire life, and I'd rather
see excelent animation, voice acting
and plot than some stupid, bad acted
movie like Titantic. What a crock.

<snip>

>Actualy, no.

Accually, yes. Sonic Sat AM had a lot
of Japanese animation in it. Most of
the stuff you use in your home theater
and computer was either made in Japan
or ripped off from it. Your car is probably
made in Japan, or from a company who
has its headquarters there. Video Game
Systems were made in Japan. Most games
were made in Japan.

>I have.

And that's all you can say? Somehow,
I really don't think so. You call me
uneducated. At least I know about
more than one culture.

>You're just thinking of cartoon network cartoons, absolute crap.

Bullshit. How dare you tell me what I
am thinking. I never said anything on
CN, now did I? Infact, I gave you a
list of movies that I found culturally and
intellectually stimulating, so don't make
me regulate

>But most of the
>cartoons from Japan would be done as live action movies or TV shows here in
>America.

And BADLY done so, and mostly not
even true. Disney has been the real
animation center here in America, and
since the early ninties, the stories have
gone down the dumps. Now, America
is getting a bit wiser, and not changing
things. Castle in the Sky and Kiki's
Delivery Service can not be changed
by Disney at all, not the animation at
least. The music was VERY well done,
I know the lead composer of it very
well, and it followed the amazing sound
track of the Japanese one. So no, they
would not be. There's a LOT of Anime
on tape, released in OVA format, but
you probably didn't know that.

>It all depends on what you watch.

I've watched many MANY things.
From Saturday Morning cartoons,
to big budget movies, to independant
films and book adaptations. I stand
by my judgement.

>You probably watch American movies like Godzilla and The Lost World which
>have
>nothing whatsoever to reccomend them.

Excuse me? Bah! I didn't bother to
see the Gaijin Godzilla and the only
good thing about the Lost World is
that it ended. No, normally I can
sniff out the stinky, clique movies
that are made to be raves. I love
comidies and really good adventure/
action movies, as well as the darker,
sinister things. But, like I said before,
I have seen many, many things.

> Oh, there's an other one, Sir Arthur
>Connan
>Doyle's "The Lost World". An excelent book which made an outstanding radio
>play
>(NOT Micheal Criton's "The Lost World").

I didn't like his poetry.. If he is the
person I believe I am thinking about.
England has a lot of wonderful things,
but a lot of the popular stuff really
sucks IMHO.

>I doubt it. Did you know that Japan has one of the highest suicide rates?
>What
>could THAT be due to (not cartoons, I know, but lack of creative freedom)?

No, that's because of the school system.
The pressure is so intense in competition
and if you fail, it might cost you for the
rest of your life. I understand this, since
I have lived there and experienced that.
But the unemployment rate in Japan is
2%. Verses our like 30% or whatever
it is.

>I know, but the games themselves don't have the most interesting storylines,

>and I
>do preffer the Saturday Am. show continuity to that of the games.

The Japanese game manuals had a lot,
but when they were translated, a lot was
cut out. Stupid Sega of America.

>Oh, that's right, Japan made the ORIGINAL Godzilla movie. To quote Crow (or
>was
>it Tom Servo) "Here's a little advice for Japan, STOP MAKING MOVIES".

Here's a little advice for you: "DO YOUR
RESEARCH!". The original Godzilla
series was like, this GIANT joke, that
was aimed for young boys. And it was in
what, the 30's? Besides, the Godzilla
movies are HALARIOUS!

>I don't have anything against Japan itself, just the films that come out of
>it.

And how many films have you seen?
I'd say you've got a problem when
you hear "It comes from JApan?! THEN
IT SUCKS!" from someone. That's
entierly closeminded. I didn't say
ALL the movies in America suck,
just a lot of them.

>How can I respond to that.......how about "no".

How about "Yes". You do, you've not
shown me that you really know anything
about what you're talking about. I wonder,
to really read Dracula and Frankenstien,
can you read German? I'm sure the
translation was a lot different.

>I think everything I mentioned before now, about culture and what I do
>(instead of
>watching "retarded fillers") should cover that.

No, it doesn't, now that I responded to
it. Cartoons are NOT just for kids. Anything
that is animated is not a cartoon. Japan
works differently from America, as do
a lot of countries. You can not put
everything into one big limit. The world
is NOT one huge America.

>That wouldn't be hard to do. It's may be better, but it can still be bad.

Blame America for what happened to
Power Rangers. And Dai Rangers,
and the other series are really good.

>No, actualy, I'm from Naperville, which has about 200,000 people, and has the
>best
>school system in the country.

Really, why come I haven't heard of
it then? I live in Santa Monica, which
makes 200,000 look like a rural country
road. And America's school system
sucks majorily, so it's not hard to be
the "best". I'd like to see you go into
the German, Japanese or English
school system, then let's see how
good you really are.

>Because I don't watch Sailor Moon?

No, because you strerotype, you
don't do your research, and all you
do is show me you really have nothing
to backup your opinion.

>> You can't handle
>> the opinions of others,
>
>I believe that's you.

Not really. I might not be able to
control my temper, but I can handle
other people's opinions. What I can't
handle is sterotypes and prejudice,
and I think from what you HAVE said
showed me that your opinion is just
that.

>I don't hate the country, just most of the cartoons from it.

And how many of them have you seen?
Better yet, how many of them have you
seen in their original form?

>I don't know where exactly this is all coming from.

Extreme Nationalism. Since your school
system is so monumental, you tell me
what that is.

>Well, it probably is in a lot of ways, not neccisarily the BEST, but we have
>better government than most countries,

Most THIRD WORLD countries, yes,
but I digress...

>a high standard of living,

Where the gap between rich and poor
is so high, where the unemployment
rate is so bad, where a lot of people
are illiterate and don't speak english?
Yeah, really, I'm sure. Accually, CANADA
has the highest standard of living in the
world. Go figure.

plenty of
>land,

Eh, not really. We're a pretty small
country.

>freedoms that some countries still don't have,

Again, third world countries.

> a strong military (security),

Yeah, strength with Clinton as
the brains. That's like the Amish
trying to rule the world.

>fairly low crime rate,

.. Man, are you on something?
This isn't the fifties..

>and other stuff that could waste some more space here
>.

That basically means you couldn't
think of anything else to rant about,
doesn't it?

>Practice what you preach.

I do. I've done my research, I've
studied and read, and all that. I'm
sure you couldn't tell me anything
about any other country.

>You've told me that you jump to conclusions, are overly sensative, and are
>self
>absorbed.

When I'm angry, perhaps. And I
think I had a justified reason to
be "overly sensitive" to your sterotype.
Self absorbed, however, I am not. You
don't know me at all, buddy boy.

>How many times have I heard you say things like that with almost no reason.

How many times have you commented
on things that you had NO place in
whatsoever? Also, how many times
have you proven yourself a jackass?
I'd say a lot. I'm honest, I don't lie, not
even little white lies or not telling the
whole truth. If that gets me in trouble,
oh well, that's just too bad, isn't it?

>Me too? I've always thought what I said, and always will.

You took Alessandro's post and said
"Me too!" "Yeah!" "Yeah, he's right!".
You jipped Alessandro's post!

>You first.--

Oh, what a totally thrilling and active
response. I must write that down.
<end sarcasm>

Really, you could stand a grammar
lesson.

~Miyasha
"..Heart hold me strong and let my past fall to ashes, I sing this song on the
cliff of pestilince as the wave of destruction crashes..."

Mark Palenik

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
This didn't finish sending for some reason. It it appears twice, it's because I
thought it didn't send right the first time.

Yasha Rris wrote:

> Mark Palenik wrote:
>
> Jeez, learn how to snip! You don't
> have to post a whole 3000 k message.

And I responded to all of it.

> <snip>

> And you saw, what, one episode? Or
> not even that? And you saw the
> AMERICAN version?

You must be talking about Sailor Moon, it was kind of confusing with the quote
about the Sat. A.M. quote before it.

> >> or how about "101 Dalmations"
> >
> >Never seen it (or, atleast, not the TV show).
> >

> Convinient

Er......yeah.

> >> or
> >> perhaps any real new cartoon out
> >> there, like "Jumanji" comes to mind.
> >
> >Well, atleast it's smooth.
> >

> No it's not. Unless you've gone to
> animation school, I really think you
> don't know what you're talking about.

I do animation (not hand animation, computer generated 3d animation). And, all I'm
saying is that although the charecters and backgrounds may be drawn poorly, it
flows.

> I'll admit, the first season of Sailor Moon
> had cheap animation, but Jumangi was
> so utterly horrifying I couldn't put it
> into words.

Well, whatever that's not the point.

> Not like you'd listen.
> Sailor Moon's animation wasn't jumpy,
> it wasn't causing epileptic fits, and the
> style is a lot better than most American
> cartoons.
>
> >Well, I haven't seen it in a while.....
>
> That is -exactly- what I am talking about.
> You haven't seen it.

I have seen it, but as I said, not in a while. Within the past year I've only seen
one episode (I saw more episodes from previous seasons).

> You said so yourself,
> you only saw like, one episode of the NA
> version, which everyone completely
> bags on anyway. FYI, there's FIVE
> seasons of Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon,

Fine, I don't care what you think. I don't care if you, or anyone else on this
newsgroup likes Sailor Moon. But in the past year, I have heard of cartoons

I never said that. I think you missed most of my points, and twisted their
meanings around.

> Japan doesn't work
> like America, and neither does a lot of
> other countries.

Well, that's why their DIFFERENT countries.

> They're not really all
> cartoons, they're just stories that are
> animated.

Isn't that a cartoon?

> I love animation, it's really
> mostly my entire life, and I'd rather
> see excelent animation, voice acting
> and plot than some stupid, bad acted
> movie like Titantic.

So would I. I never saw the Titanic, but from what I've heard, it sounds really
stupid. The took something completely unrelated to the Titanic, and made it into a
movie.

> <snip>
>
> >Actualy, no.
>
> Accually, yes. Sonic Sat AM had a lot
> of Japanese animation in it. Most of
> the stuff you use in your home theater
> and computer was either made in Japan
> or ripped off from it.

Nope. I actualy built my computer. I suppose the K-6 chip in it could be
Japaneese, but I'm not sure right now where it came from.

> Your car is probably
> made in Japan, or from a company who
> has its headquarters there. Video Game
> Systems were made in Japan.

Well, guess what, I haven't bought a video game system since the original Nintendo,
which I realise was made in Japan.

> Most games
> were made in Japan.
>
> >I have.
>
> And that's all you can say? Somehow,
> I really don't think so.

What else do you want me to say?

> You call me
> uneducated.

No I'm not, I'm just defending the fact that I am educated.

> At least I know about
> more than one culture.

So do I. You can't possibly expect to write a post insulting my intellegance and
not expect something negative back. Most of it was just used in my defence.

> >You're just thinking of cartoon network cartoons, absolute crap.
>
> Bullshit. How dare you tell me what I
> am thinking.

Oh, I'm sorry, only you are allowed to do that.

> >But most of the
> >cartoons from Japan would be done as live action movies or TV shows here in
> >America.
>
> And BADLY done so,

Arghhhhh.........I don't think so. Nobody is going to make you watch any movie you
haven't seen, so if you think it's bad, don't watch it.

> would not be. There's a LOT of Anime
> on tape, released in OVA format, but
> you probably didn't know that.

No, really? It's only been stated about 1000 times on this newsgroup.

> >You probably watch American movies like Godzilla and The Lost World which
> >have
> >nothing whatsoever to reccomend them.
>
> Excuse me? Bah! I didn't bother to
> see the Gaijin Godzilla

Neither did I. But I know plenty of people who did.

> and the only
> good thing about the Lost World is
> that it ended.

I actualy did see that movie, but stronly regretted it afterwords.

> No, normally I can
> sniff out the stinky, clique movies
> that are made to be raves. I love
> comidies and really good adventure/
> action movies, as well as the darker,
> sinister things.

I'll agree.

> I didn't like his poetry.. If he is the
> person I believe I am thinking about.

He probably is.

> No, that's because of the school system.
> The pressure is so intense in competition
> and if you fail, it might cost you for the
> rest of your life.

Well, I suppose it's the system is similar in a lot of places, but I'll agree, from
what I've heard, the pressure is very high.

> I understand this, since
> I have lived there and experienced that.
> But the unemployment rate in Japan is
> 2%. Verses our like 30% or whatever
> it is.

But then again, we have more people too, and naturaly, a lot of immigrants are not
going to be able to get jobs, due to either a poor education, or lack of money.

> Here's a little advice for you: "DO YOUR
> RESEARCH!". The original Godzilla
> series was like, this GIANT joke, that
> was aimed for young boys.

My point exactly.

> >I don't have anything against Japan itself, just the films that come out of
> >it.
>
> And how many films have you seen?
> I'd say you've got a problem when
> you hear "It comes from JApan?! THEN
> IT SUCKS!"

I never said that at all. It's just that most of the movies I've seen from Japan
turn out not to be that great.

> from someone. That's
> entierly closeminded. I didn't say
> ALL the movies in America suck,
> just a lot of them.

And I didn't say ALL the movies from Japan suck, just most of them.

> >How can I respond to that.......how about "no".
>
> How about "Yes". You do, you've not
> shown me that you really know anything
> about what you're talking about.

As you've stated several times before.

> I wonder,
> to really read Dracula and Frankenstien,

Yes I did. How can I prove it to you.......I'll give you my book report on
Frankenstein if you want to read it.

> can you read German? I'm sure the
> translation was a lot different.

I'm sure it was translated as close as it possibly could be, and is not that
different from the original. And, no, I can't really read German. At best I cold
probably pick out 5 words from every page. But that's beside the point, the
English translation is just as much of a classic as the origninal, or any other
translation for that matter. The writing is excelent, there's no way I could deny
that no matter what language I had read it in.

> >I think everything I mentioned before now, about culture and what I do
> >(instead of
> >watching "retarded fillers") should cover that.
>
> No, it doesn't, now that I responded to
> it. Cartoons are NOT just for kids. Anything
> that is animated is not a cartoon.

So, then what seperates a regular piece of animation from a cartoon (I'm genuinely
interested).

> Japan
> works differently from America, as do
> a lot of countries. You can not put
> everything into one big limit. The world
> is NOT one huge America.

That was kind of confusing and I don't know exactly what you meant. Don't bother
to reply. I don't care. Neither one of us are going to change our points of view.

> >That wouldn't be hard to do. It's may be better, but it can still be bad.
> >

> Blame America for what happened to

Blame America seems to be your motto. Maybe the world would be better if it were
one giant Japan?

> Power Rangers. And Dai Rangers,
> and the other series are really good.

Well, since I don't speak Japaneese that doesn't really do me a lot of good.

> >No, actualy, I'm from Naperville, which has about 200,000 people, and has the
> >best
> >school system in the country.
> >

> Really, why come I haven't heard of
> it then?

I don't know. It was on the news several times recently. The most expensive
high-school in the country was just built here (that doesn't neccisarily make it
any better, but certainly more worthy to be on the news). Anyway, if you're
wondering what the report on school systems said, it was that Naperville was ranked
as having the best school system in the country, and Gary Indiana as having the
worst.

> I live in Santa Monica, which
> makes 200,000 look like a rural country
> road.

Well, once you exut Naperville (northward, I believe), you're only a few miles
from Chicago.

> And America's school system
> sucks majorily, so it's not hard to be
> the "best". I'd like to see you go into
> the German, Japanese or English
> school system, then let's see how
> good you really are.

Let's put it this way. I could have skipped first grade, but my parents thought it
was important for me to go through every grade, so I didn't. I'm in Project Arrow
(there's a reason why it has that name, but I won't post it unless for some reason
you want me to) which is in accelerated schooling program. I'm 2 years ahead in
math, and in seventh grade tested higher on the SAT's than 75% of all college bound
seniors (not hard to do, since the bottom 50% most likely consists of football
players on scholerships j/k).

> >Because I don't watch Sailor Moon?
> >

> No, because you strerotype, you
> don't do your research, and all you
> do is show me you really have nothing
> to backup your opinion.

Blah blah blah. Have I heard you say that before somewhere in this message?

> >> You can't handle
> >> the opinions of others,
> >
> >I believe that's you.
>
> Not really. I might not be able to
> control my temper, but I can handle
> other people's opinions. What I can't
> handle is sterotypes and prejudice,
> and I think from what you HAVE said
> showed me that your opinion is just
> that.

No, my opinion is just the opposite. Lately from this newsgroup I've been hearing
prejudicial opinions from many people on this newsgroup toward AMERICA. And I'm
sick of it. Let's put it this way. A lot of people have been insulting Luis
lately. I by no means like him any more than anyone else that I don't know very
well, and he has even flamed/insulted me in the past for no apparent reason. But
even if he had done something like say....gashed open my arm with a knife, I'd be
very angry for the first 10 minutes before I passed out from lack of blood or pain
(assuming that happens). But after that, I would really feel more...sad, I suppose
you would say, than angry. I wouldn't want him to be flamed, mutilated, or
physicaly/mentaly injured in any way. No matter who does what, how terrible a
person is, or what personal hatred one person has for an other, I always get a
strong feeling that the "under dog" should be defended. I feel that when someone
is being choked to death by flames (in a figurative sense), their opinions and
defenses should still count, and that some how they SHOULD be defended. I don't
know exactly how to describe what I'm trying to say. But the point is, I feel the
same way about everything. If one country is insulted to a point where it sounds
utterly infereior, I try to do the exact same thing in the opposite sense, somehow
trying to regain a balance, if you know what I mean. The same applies for
cartoons, and it goes double for when someone talks about me. Maybe you don't know
it, but everything you've said, I have taked VERY personaly, and I was enraged that
you would make a single judgement about me without even knowing anything about me.
There are plently of people that I have not liked when reading the first E-mail I
have received from them, but later on, become very good friends with. Not only
that, but in the case of Luis, someone has played judge, jury, and executioner i.e.
they have taken it apon themselves to a.) judge him as a bad person b.) decide that
he should be punnished c.) insult him, pretend to be him, or make him sound more
utterly stupid than need be. And coming from as many people as it did, he got (in
my opinion) more punishment than he deserved. The same thing is going to happen in
this case if we aren't careful. We are BOTH making judgements about each other
that have almost no basis in reality. I insulted Sailor moon, you tried to make it
sound good, insulted me, and most American movies, then I did the same thing for
you and Japan. This is turning into an endlessly repeating cycle that will get no
one anywhere.

> >I don't hate the country, just most of the cartoons from it.
>
> And how many of them have you seen?
> Better yet, how many of them have you
> seen in their original form?

Not many, I'll admit, but they've turned me off from seing any future ones. Now
if you'll just give me 5 minutes to rebutt, because there is no way I can retire
with you having the upper hand. This should balance things out.

> >Well, it probably is in a lot of ways, not neccisarily the BEST, but we have
> >better government than most countries,
>
> Most THIRD WORLD countries, yes,
> but I digress...

Digress from what? If you are, then you've been doing the same thing for nearly
the entire message (sorry, I couldn't resist. From now on, I'll just try to
balance things instead of tip them in my favor by insulting you).

> >a high standard of living,
>
> Where the gap between rich and poor
> is so high, where the unemployment
> rate is so bad, where a lot of people
> are illiterate and don't speak english?

But you'r ignoring everything good about this country. You've been searching for
all of the bad things, and have been completely ignoring the good things that tip
the scale in a completely opposite direction. If you want to move to Canada when
you're 18, go ahead. Nobody can stop you. But I am proud to live where I do, and
wouldn't have wanted to be born anywhere else.

> Yeah, really, I'm sure. Accually, CANADA
> has the highest standard of living in the
> world. Go figure.

Good for Canada.

> plenty of
> >land,
>
> Eh, not really. We're a pretty small
> country.

Yeah, compared to Japan, we're imminiscule.

> >freedoms that some countries still don't have,
>
> Again, third world countries.

And Russia (I wouldn't exactly call that a 3rd world country, despite the way it
was in the early 90's [I hear things have improved since then]).

> > a strong military (security),
>
> Yeah, strength with Clinton as
> the brains. That's like the Amish
> trying to rule the world.

Suddenly we see that Yasha has a strong hatred for Amish people, as well as all
slightly different cultures (sorry, but I'm getting annoyed again).

> >fairly low crime rate,
>
> .. Man, are you on something?
> This isn't the fifties..

or the 30's or 2020. I'm not going to say what's you'r point because a.)I know
what it is, and b.) you'd use that to insult my intellegance, as you no doubt will
with this.

> >and other stuff that could waste some more space here
> >.
>
> That basically means you couldn't
> think of anything else to rant about,
> doesn't it?

You want me to continue? Say the word and I shall. But it would have added more
text to the message for no reason, and made me sound like a fool.

> >Practice what you preach.
> >

> I do. I've done my research, I've
> studied and read, and all that. I'm
> sure you couldn't tell me anything
> about any other country.

Hahahahahaha....oh, THAT is a good one. Really funny. Apperently you have
extrapolated even less from my messages than I had hoped.

> >You've told me that you jump to conclusions, are overly sensative, and are
> >self
> >absorbed.
> >

> When I'm angry, perhaps. And I
> think I had a justified reason to
> be "overly sensitive" to your sterotype.

I think I have reason to be stereyotipical to your sensativaty. Now, before you
reply with something along the lines of "what the hell does that mean", I'd like to
say that my original message really only concerned Sailor Moon (although it
contained one or two negative refferences to Japan). You turned it into a "War of
the Worlds", so to speak, and tryed to make America sound like some blazing inferno
filled with deamons and murderers, which it is not at all. Now let me guess,
you'r going to say that you were no where near that insulting, and that it was more
my fault than I made it out to be.

> Self absorbed, however, I am not. You
> don't know me at all, buddy boy.

Same to you.

> >How many times have I heard you say things like that with almost no reason.
>
> How many times have you commented
> on things that you had NO place in
> whatsoever?

About as many times as you have.

> Also, how many times
> have you proven yourself a jackass?

Not once.

> I'd say a lot. I'm honest, I don't lie, not
> even little white lies or not telling the
> whole truth. If that gets me in trouble,
> oh well, that's just too bad, isn't it?

And your point? I'm pretty much the same way, but that has nothing to do with
this. Neither one of us has lied so far.

> >Me too? I've always thought what I said, and always will.
>
> You took Alessandro's post and said
> "Me too!" "Yeah!" "Yeah, he's right!".
> You jipped Alessandro's post!

I was planning on saying it sooner or later. All the talk of Sailor Moon provided
the perfect oportunity. By the way, if it was so much like Alessandro's post, then
why aren't you insulting him in the same way?

> >You first.--
>
> Oh, what a totally thrilling and active
> response. I must write that down.
> <end sarcasm>

So you think that insults and flames are the solution to things like this? The
answer to problems that don't exist. Really, I never wanted this, and I'm sure you
didn't. So why make something out of nothing?

> Really, you could stand a grammar
> lesson.

No, I couldn't. This is becoming truely pathetic. My posts are not ones to be
skimmed. If you don't read everything, or read it carefuly (incase you say that
right here is incorrect, the word don't does apply to both things in this list),
you will no doubt come to that conclusion. Part of it, also, is probably that
you're not used to the style that I write in. The only thing that I could use is
spell check.

Mark Palenik

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98

Yasha Rris wrote:

> Mark Palenik wrote:
>
> Jeez, learn how to snip! You don't
> have to post a whole 3000 k message.

And I responded to all of it.

> <snip>
>

> And you saw, what, one episode? Or
> not even that? And you saw the
> AMERICAN version?

You must be talking about Sailor Moon, it was kind of confusing with the quote

about the Sat. A.M. quote before it.

> >> or how about "101 Dalmations"

> >Never seen it (or, atleast, not the TV show).
> >

> Convinient

Er......yeah.

> >> or
> >> perhaps any real new cartoon out
> >> there, like "Jumanji" comes to mind.
> >
> >Well, atleast it's smooth.
> >

> No it's not. Unless you've gone to
> animation school, I really think you
> don't know what you're talking about.

I do animation (not hand animation, computer generated 3d animation). And, all I'm

saying is that although the charecters and backgrounds may be drawn poorly, it
flows.

> I'll admit, the first season of Sailor Moon

> had cheap animation, but Jumangi was
> so utterly horrifying I couldn't put it
> into words.

Well, whatever that's not the point.

> Not like you'd listen.

> Sailor Moon's animation wasn't jumpy,
> it wasn't causing epileptic fits, and the
> style is a lot better than most American
> cartoons.
>
> >Well, I haven't seen it in a while.....
>
> That is -exactly- what I am talking about.
> You haven't seen it.

I have seen it, but as I said, not in a while. Within the past year I've only seen

one episode (I saw more episodes from previous seasons).

> You said so yourself,

> you only saw like, one episode of the NA
> version, which everyone completely
> bags on anyway. FYI, there's FIVE
> seasons of Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon,

Fine, I don't care what you think. I don't care if you, or anyone else on this

newsgroup likes Sailor Moon. But in the past year, I have heard of cartoons

> and they got a LOT better after the

I never said that. I think you missed most of my points, and twisted their
meanings around.

> Japan doesn't work

> like America, and neither does a lot of
> other countries.

Well, that's why their DIFFERENT countries.

> They're not really all
> cartoons, they're just stories that are
> animated.

Isn't that a cartoon?

> [...]

> >America.
>
> And BADLY done so,

Arghhhhh.........I don't think so. Nobody is going to make you watch any movie you

haven't seen, so if you think it's bad, don't watch it.

> would not be. There's a LOT of Anime

> on tape, released in OVA format, but
> you probably didn't know that.

No, really? It's only been stated about 1000 times on this newsgroup.

> >You probably watch American movies like Godzilla and The Lost World which
> >have
> >nothing whatsoever to reccomend them.
>
> Excuse me? Bah! I didn't bother to
> see the Gaijin Godzilla

Neither did I. But I know plenty of people who did.

> and the only

> good thing about the Lost World is
> that it ended.

I actualy did see that movie, but stronly regretted it afterwords.

I'll agree.

> I didn't like his poetry.. If he is the
> person I believe I am thinking about.

He probably is.

> No, that's because of the school system.
> The pressure is so intense in competition
> and if you fail, it might cost you for the
> rest of your life.

Well, I suppose it's the system is similar in a lot of places, but I'll agree, from

what I've heard, the pressure is very high.

> I understand this, since

> I have lived there and experienced that.
> But the unemployment rate in Japan is
> 2%. Verses our like 30% or whatever
> it is.

But then again, we have more people too, and naturaly, a lot of immigrants are not

going to be able to get jobs, due to either a poor education, or lack of money.

> Here's a little advice for you: "DO YOUR

> RESEARCH!". The original Godzilla
> series was like, this GIANT joke, that
> was aimed for young boys.

My point exactly.

> [...]

Digress from what? If you are, then you've been doing the same thing for nearly

the entire message (sorry, I couldn't resist. From now on, I'll just try to
balance things instead of tip them in my favor by insulting you).

> >a high standard of living,
>
> Where the gap between rich and poor
> is so high, where the unemployment
> rate is so bad, where a lot of people
> are illiterate and don't speak english?

But you'r ignoring everything good about this country. You've been searching for

all of the bad things, and have been completely ignoring the good things that tip
the scale in a completely opposite direction. If you want to move to Canada when
you're 18, go ahead. Nobody can stop you. But I am proud to live where I do, and
wouldn't have wanted to be born anywhere else.

> Yeah, really, I'm sure. Accually, CANADA

> has the highest standard of living in the

Good for Canada.

> plenty of
> >land,
>
> Eh, not really. We're a pretty small
> country.

Yeah, compared to Japan, we're imminiscule.

> >freedoms that some countries still don't have,
>
> Again, third world countries.

And Russia (I wouldn't exactly call that a 3rd world country, despite the way it

was in the early 90's [I hear things have improved since then]).

> > a strong military (security),
>
> Yeah, strength with Clinton as
> the brains. That's like the Amish
> trying to rule the world.

Suddenly we see that Yasha has a strong hatred for Amish people, as well as all

slightly different cultures (sorry, but I'm getting annoyed again).

> >fairly low crime rate,
>
> .. Man, are you on something?
> This isn't the fifties..

or the 30's or 2020. I'm not going to say what's you'r point because a.)I know

what it is, and b.) you'd use that to insult my intellegance, as you no doubt will
with this.

> >and other stuff that could waste some more space here
> >.
>
> That basically means you couldn't
> think of anything else to rant about,
> doesn't it?

You want me to continue? Say the word and I shall. But it would have added more

text to the message for no reason, and made me sound like a fool.

> >Practice what you preach.
> >

> I do. I've done my research, I've
> studied and read, and all that. I'm
> sure you couldn't tell me anything
> about any other country.

Hahahahahaha....oh, THAT is a good one. Really funny. Apperently you have

extrapolated even less from my messages than I had hoped.

> >You've told me that you jump to conclusions, are overly sensative, and are
> >self
> >absorbed.
> >

> When I'm angry, perhaps. And I
> think I had a justified reason to
> be "overly sensitive" to your sterotype.

I think I have reason to be stereyotipical to your sensativaty. Now, before you

reply with something along the lines of "what the hell does that mean", I'd like to
say that my original message really only concerned Sailor Moon (although it
contained one or two negative refferences to Japan). You turned it into a "War of
the Worlds", so to speak, and tryed to make America sound like some blazing inferno
filled with deamons and murderers, which it is not at all. Now let me guess,
you'r going to say that you were no where near that insulting, and that it was more
my fault than I made it out to be.

> Self absorbed, however, I am not. You

> don't know me at all, buddy boy.

Same to you.

> >How many times have I heard you say things like that with almost no reason.
>
> How many times have you commented
> on things that you had NO place in
> whatsoever?

About as many times as you have.

> Also, how many times

> have you proven yourself a jackass?

Not once.

> I'd say a lot. I'm honest, I don't lie, not
> even little white lies or not telling the
> whole truth. If that gets me in trouble,
> oh well, that's just too bad, isn't it?

And your point? I'm pretty much the same way, but that has nothing to do with

this. Neither one of us has lied so far.

> >Me too? I've always thought what I said, and always will.
>
> You took Alessandro's post and said
> "Me too!" "Yeah!" "Yeah, he's right!".
> You jipped Alessandro's post!

I was planning on saying it sooner or later. All the talk of Sailor Moon provided

the perfect oportunity. By the way, if it was so much like Alessandro's post, then
why aren't you insulting him in the same way?

> >You first.--
>
> Oh, what a totally thrilling and active
> response. I must write that down.
> <end sarcasm>

So you think that insults and flames are the solution to things like this? The

answer to problems that don't exist. Really, I never wanted this, and I'm sure you
didn't. So why make something out of nothing?

> Really, you could stand a grammar
> lesson.

No, I couldn't. This is becoming truely pathetic. My posts are not ones to be

Keith Olszewski

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Greetskis, all. Long time reader, first time poster. You're all doing a
great job, really, but as I've always had a soft spot in my heart for
glaring factual errors, I felt it my duty as an annoying nitpicker to
make some minor revisions in what was otherwise a fine post. Be warned,
this is all horrendously off topic, but that doesn't seem to stop anyone
else, so let's dive right in...

Yasha Rris wrote:

(snipped, resnipped, and snipped again)

> I've seen many books, many plays
> and thousands of peices of artwork,
> if not millions as well. I've studied
> history, extensivly, on my own and
> in school. I find a lot of that crap
> boring. I love castles, haunted
> castles especially, I love Scotland
> and Ireland, and Germany. I like
> a lot of forigen things.. and America
> has no "real" culture, because we
> are a "melting pot" and a lot of
> the things we do came from many
> other countries. Don't think I'm
> some stupid little ignoramous, I've
> done my studying, and I've found
> stuff like you described so utterly
> lifeless, overrated and boring.

On the off chance that you don't know what culture means, allow me to
quote my good friend Webster...

"the ideas, customs, skills, arts, etc. of a given people in a given
period; civilization"

So in effect, any remotely similar group of people can be said to have a
culture. Even, say, the American Gladiators, albeit one based around
Nerf balls and Spandex.

> No, that's because of the school system.
> The pressure is so intense in competition
> and if you fail, it might cost you for the
> rest of your life. I understand this, since
> I have lived there and experienced that.
> But the unemployment rate in Japan is
> 2%. Verses our like 30% or whatever
> it is.

Actually, it hovers at around 4-5%, unless of course you're counting
children and the elderly, but... you wouldn't do THAT, would you?

> Here's a little advice for you: "DO YOUR
> RESEARCH!". The original Godzilla
> series was like, this GIANT joke, that
> was aimed for young boys. And it was in
> what, the 30's? Besides, the Godzilla
> movies are HALARIOUS!

Well... less the 30's, and more the 60's. But you get an "E" for Effort!

> How about "Yes". You do, you've not
> shown me that you really know anything
> about what you're talking about. I wonder,
> to really read Dracula and Frankenstien,
> can you read German? I'm sure the
> translation was a lot different.

Now, I'll admit I have no idea where this came from, as both Dracula and
Frankenstein were written by Englanders in England for the English
public at large. Well, to be picky, Stoker was born in Dublin, but
that's still a mighty ways off from anything resembling Germany.

> Really, why come I haven't heard of
> it then? I live in Santa Monica, which
> makes 200,000 look like a rural country
> road. And America's school system
> sucks majorily, so it's not hard to be
> the "best". I'd like to see you go into
> the German, Japanese or English
> school system, then let's see how
> good you really are.

I thought this merited comment... America's school system is much better
than anyone seems willing to admit. America's current economic high
times are due largely to technology, much of which was invented here.
Assuming that the current captains of industry are responsible for this
is to credit it to the general educational mess of the 60's and 70's.
Schools function best not by dispensing information (No one, anywhere,
EVER, needs to know why the Punic Wars were fought), but by training
young minds to think independently. Japan's give more emphasis to
drumming countless facts into children and enforcing the rigid social
structure, which is quite possibly why America is the hotbed of
entrepeneurialism that it is and Japan is about to be bought out by the
Nabisco Corporation. Why do you think so many of them come over here to
train? Why do you think so many of them stay?
Or, it "sucks majorily". You can't really argue with logic like that.

> Most THIRD WORLD countries, yes,
> but I digress...

Now, I suppose it would be impolitic of me to mention that America has
the longest continuous government in the, ahem, world, that it is the
sole surviving superpower (selling seashells by the seashore, might I
add), and was the model for all modern democracies. Far be it from me to
be impolitic.

> Where the gap between rich and poor
> is so high, where the unemployment
> rate is so bad, where a lot of people
> are illiterate and don't speak english?
> Yeah, really, I'm sure. Accually, CANADA
> has the highest standard of living in the
> world. Go figure.

None of those actually figure into standard of living, but nonetheless.
Yes, 90% of the wealth is controlled by 1% of the population, but that's
not saying much. There's a hell of a lot more wealth here than... well,
anywhere else. The unemployment rate is better than it's been since the
60's, better even than (GASP) Japan's.
And the moderate illiteracy rate is due to the fact that we're daily
swarmed with hordes of immigrants... I guess they must be trying to get
to Canada, eh?

> Eh, not really. We're a pretty small
> country.

If you mean "pretty small" in that "we're the fourth largest country in
the world, larger even than the continent of Australia", well then, I
agree wholeheartedly.

> >freedoms that some countries still don't have,
> Again, third world countries.

That is, technically, correct. Most countries were quick to jump on the
bandwagon when all that crazy "inalienable rights" talk was flying
around. You'd be surprised how many countries' constitutions are near
word-perfect translations of ours.

> > a strong military (security),
>
> Yeah, strength with Clinton as
> the brains. That's like the Amish
> trying to rule the world.

Assuming that the Amish had a ground force that trained much of the free
world, aircraft that are still theoretical in most nations, and a navy
that can take on any three world powers and have them feeding the crabs
before they have time to top off their bunkers, then, yes.

> I do. I've done my research, I've
> studied and read, and all that. I'm
> sure you couldn't tell me anything
> about any other country.

Obviously.

> ~Miyasha

Well... you got your name right, I guess...

Seriously, peoples, if you don't know what you're talking about, then...
don't.
Salut... pour maintenant...

-Zwecky
¿fnörd?

Louis J.M.

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
<mua ha ha>

Hello Mark, remember me? >: )

Louis J.M

"I am the Lizard Queen!"

Johnny Wallbank

MachHedge

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
><mua ha ha>
>
>Hello Mark, remember me? >: )
>
>Louis J.M

Who the heck are YOU?

~~Mach Hedgehog~~
--
A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a
battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. And if you weren't such

Yasha Rris

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Okay, now that I've had enough time to cool down, I'm going to reply.

Mark Palenik wrote:

>> Jeez, learn how to snip! You don't
>> have to post a whole 3000 k message.
>
>And I responded to all of it.

Uh.. no.. do you want me to point
out the huge blocks of text I wrote
with a bunch of these ">" things
in front of it and nothing else?

Aaaaannnyways,

<snip>

>I do animation (not hand animation, computer generated 3d animation). And,
>all I'm
>saying is that although the charecters and backgrounds may be drawn poorly,
>it
>flows.

Uh, not really. Sailor Moon and most
Anime flows, too. Really, the Anime
style is one of the most smoothest
of them all, but like any style, it varies
in year, and by who produced it.

<snip>

>> so utterly horrifying I couldn't put it
>> into words.
>
>Well, whatever that's not the point.

Yes it is. One of the things you were
griping about was the animation in SM,
and I responded to it. So, I'd conclude
that it -is- part of the point.

>I have seen it, but as I said, not in a while. Within the past year I've
>only seen
>one episode (I saw more episodes from previous seasons).

Why not watch more of it then? Really,
if you hate it so much, then find a real
reason to hate it. This "Oh, it sucks"
doesn't really work anymore, so, tell
me really, in an indepth and long
explanation, like Alessandro did,
why -YOU- hate Sailor Moon. Back
it up with facts, and perhaps I'll
consider it better than the chicken
scratch you pasted here.

>Fine, I don't care what you think. I don't care if you, or anyone else on
>this
>newsgroup likes Sailor Moon. But in the past year, I have heard of cartoons

..I've.. heard of cartoons too, and
for the other.. near 16 years I've
been alive.. and IMHO that statement
was sorta a "I can't say anything, but
I'm going to be defensive anyways!".

>I never said that. I think you missed most of my points, and twisted their
>meanings around.

Uh, that's what -I- grasped from it.
You never said they were for
"mature" or "older" people, you
infact said they were "uncultural"
and threw Dracula at me.

>Well, that's why their DIFFERENT countries.

They're. That's just a really big
pet peeve of mine.. and gee,
who took their bright pill this
morning. Duh, that's what I was
saying. You're pushing the
same standards you have on
one thing to something that's
completely different. Like
comparing apples and sheep.

>Isn't that a cartoon?

Not really. A cartoon is anything
drawn, it can be a drawing on paper,
or an animated thing, etc. However,
animation is something that moves,
something that is specially set. A
picture on paper can not be an
animated story.

>So would I. I never saw the Titanic, but from what I've heard, it sounds
>really
>stupid. The took something completely unrelated to the Titanic, and made it
>into a
>movie.

Eww.. don't remind me. I just hope
someone doesn't go "But Titantic
wuz a very good movie!" or I'll
have to regulate..

>Nope. I actualy built my computer. I suppose the K-6 chip in it could be
>Japaneese, but I'm not sure right now where it came from.

What about the rest of the peices of
your computer? Where do you think
they came from, K-mart? A lot of
the technology came from Japan,
dude. You're sitting here, saying
nothing good comes from Japan,
well...

>Well, guess what, I haven't bought a video game system since the original
>Nintendo,
>which I realise was made in Japan.

Goodie for you! Want some cookies?
So, you've been getting rom's and emu's
instead of buying games. Tsk Tsk.

>What else do you want me to say?

Something.. relevant, but since you
sometimes have the disability to do
so, I'd perfer if you said nothing.

>No I'm not, I'm just defending the fact that I am educated.

Ooohh, yes you did, and now I will
defend myself and my education,
what little of it you may think that
I have or not.

>So do I. You can't possibly expect to write a post insulting my intellegance
>and
>not expect something negative back. Most of it was just used in my defence.

You insulted a major country! You
haven't seen -every- movie that
comes out of Japan, you don't
speak it, as far as I know haven't
been there, seemingly know nothing
about our culture, and you expect
me to just let you? If not me, someone
else. You showed how uneducated
you must be to do something like
that. I thought you'd know better than
to make sterotypes.

>Oh, I'm sorry, only you are allowed to do that.

Wanna start the mad dogging? I'll
start with you. I never even
MENTIONED CN, so how do you
derive it from our conversation, hmm?
What I -have- said about you, I have
picked up from your conversation,
and if you'd like, I can e-mail you
dissected portions of what you
have posted and why I responded
as I did.

>Arghhhhh.........I don't think so. Nobody is going to make you watch any
>movie you
>haven't seen, so if you think it's bad, don't watch it.

Accually, I -have- seen Anime to Live
Action movie attempts, one in particular,
Guyver. That was so utterly horrible
I felt sick afterwards. I have seen
a lot of things, and IMHO you can't
take something animated with mecha's
and transformations, stick some lame
actor in, with some half-baked plot,
and expect it to be as great as the
anime. That's just so horribly wrong,
I'd die if my Anime was ever turned
Live Action.. I had a nightmare about
that once..

>No, really? It's only been stated about 1000 times on this newsgroup.

You didn't seem to clue in on it. Take
a trip to Suncoast Video or something
and check it out. <gasp> You might
find something you accually like!

Ewww...

>I actualy did see that movie, but stronly regretted it afterwo

Did.. -anyone- like that movie?

<snip>

>Well, I suppose it's the system is similar in a lot of places, but I'll
>agree, from
>what I've heard, the pressure is very high.

From what I've seen and experienced
on a personal level, it is very different,
and a lot more intense. Trust me, finals
look like a breeze when you realize
how many hours that Japanese children
put into their school work, especially
at the young age they do. Many forigen
schools work harder, too, not just Japanese,
however, since Japan has such a high
population and the high ranking jobs
are limited...

>But then again, we have more people too, and naturaly, a lot of immigrants
>are not
>going to be able to get jobs, due to either a poor education, or lack of
>money.

No, Japan has about the same populus
as we do. However, do you have
any idea how -expensive- it is
to immagrate here legally? I will
say, in defense of all those that
come here legally, they work
damn hard, and most of them
DO have a decent education. I'm
not talking about those who come
here illegally, that's an entirely
different matter.

>The original Godzilla
>> series was like, this GIANT joke, that
>> was aimed for young boys.
>
>My point exactly.

Uh... no, you said Godzilla sucked.
It wasn't made into some big thing
like it'd be really good, it was
SUPPOSED to be cheap! Yeesh.
There is a big difference between
Godzilla and a lot of other movies
that come out of Japan.

>I never said that at all. It's just that most of the movies I've seen from
>Japan
>turn out not to be that great.

Again, how many have you seen?
What, 10, I would assume. Really
now...

>And I didn't say ALL the movies from Japan suck, just most of them.

But you don't -see- all the movies in
Japan. I don't see every -single-
movie that comes from America,
just most of the major ones.

>As you've stated several times before.

As you have proved several, no,
many times before.

>Yes I did. How can I prove it to you.......I'll give you my book report on
>Frankenstein if you want to read it.

Heh, I'll be you just "happen" to have
a copy handy.

>I'm sure it was translated as close as it possibly could be, and is not that
>different from the original. And, no, I can't really read German. At best I
>cold
>probably pick out 5 words from every page. But that's beside the point, the
>English translation is just as much of a classic as the origninal, or any
>other
>translation for that matter. The writing is excelent, there's no way I could
>deny
>that no matter what language I had read it in.

Accually, I was only quoting something
someone told me about those books. If
they were not translated into English, then
that is the fault of my own memory for
saying so. Still doesn't make me like it
more.

>So, then what seperates a regular piece of animation from a cartoon (I'm
>genuinely
>interested).

I already explained that up there, but
if you didn't see it the first time, you
can go look again.

>Blame America seems to be your motto. Maybe the world would be better if it
>were
>one giant Japan?

Did I ever say that? No, you're
complaining about the NA adaptions
of Japanese shows. They weren't
like this before America got ahold
of them, so, blame the right person
about what you don't like.

>Well, since I don't speak Japaneese that doesn't really do me a lot of good.

Ah, the magic of subtitles..

>I don't know. It was on the news several times recently. The most expensive
>high-school in the country was just built here (that doesn't neccisarily make
>it
>any better, but certainly more worthy to be on the news). Anyway, if you're
>wondering what the report on school systems said, it was that Naperville was
>ranked
>as having the best school system in the country, and Gary Indiana as having
>the
>worst.

I remember that, they were whining
about California. Oh well, that's their
problem. People forget South
Central LA isn't all of California..

>Well, once you exut Naperville (northward, I believe), you're only a few
>miles
>from Chicago.

.. Aaaaannnnddd?

<snip>

>Blah blah blah. Have I heard you say that before somewhere in this message?

Not to be -rude-, but when are you
going to stop insulting me, bragging
about yourself and your opinion, and
get to your point and showing me
evidence and reason -why- you think
what you do.

>No, my opinion is just the opposite. Lately from this newsgroup I've been
>hearing
>prejudicial opinions from many people on this newsgroup toward AMERICA. And
>I'm sick of it.

America isn't exactly the most wonderful
place in the world. It -is- my home, and
I do appreciate those that gave their
lives and everything to make sure that
this was our country, and free. However,
there are no more standards in America,
or not much anymore. It's not just america,
the whole world is getting like that.
I don't think it'll be too much longer
before we get blown to hell..

>Let's put it this way. A lot of people have been insulting Luis
>lately. I by no means like him any more than anyone else that I don't know
>very
>well, and he has even flamed/insulted me in the past for no apparent reason.
>But
>even if he had done something like say....gashed open my arm with a knife,
>I'd be
>very angry for the first 10 minutes before I passed out from lack of blood or
>pain
>(assuming that happens). But after that, I would really feel more...sad, I
>suppose
>you would say, than angry. I wouldn't want him to be flamed, mutilated, or
>physicaly/mentaly injured in any way. No matter who does what, how terrible
>person is, or what personal hatred one person has for an other, I always get
>strong feeling that the "under dog" should be defended.

Do you ever stop to consider that the
"underdog" might deserve it? I'm not
saying that it's always that way, moreso,
it is the opposite. However, you're
supposed to "Live and Learn" not
"Live and Keep Messing Up". What
Louis did was -wrong-, not only because
he's a troll, because he took it to real life,
and all he really seems to care about is
flaming people and hurting others. I've
not once seen him contribute to this NG.
As much as you might think otherwise,
it's very hard for me to really hate
someone. I can get angry enough
easily, but to accually hate someone,
that's another matter. Since you tend
to push aside anything else I contribute
to or say, you're going to always think
of me as I represent myself here, as you
believe me spiteful, hateful and not worth
anything. That's your opinion, and I don't
care. I'm not here to make friends and be
happy-wonderful. I disagree with your
opinion, I find that you don't have any
background to it, and in that, I have no
respect for it. Especially now with this
Louis thing. I've talked to him in other
places than this, and he is -not- any
different at all.

>I feel that when
>someone
>is being choked to death by flames (in a figurative sense), their opinions
>and
>defenses should still count, and that some how they SHOULD be defended.

What about the people who he attacked
first, Mr. Robin Hood? What about all
the pain he caused -other- people, and
all the wrong things -he- did. I think you
just like him because I don't.

>don't
>know exactly how to describe what I'm trying to say. But the point is, I
>feel the
>same way about everything. If one country is insulted to a point where it
>sounds
>utterly infereior, I try to do the exact same thing in the opposite sense,
>somehow
>trying to regain a balance, if you know what I mean.

You started with Japan first, buddy. I'm
not saying Japan is paradise on Earth,
it's far from it, but it doesn't deserve
the crap you said about it. I happen to
know a lot about Japan, but if it was
another country, I probably would
have acted the same way.

>The same applies for
>cartoons, and it goes double for when someone talks about me. Maybe you
>don't know
>it, but everything you've said, I have taked VERY personaly, and I was
>enraged that
>you would make a single judgement about me without even knowing anything
>about me.

Well, you did that to me, too as well
as the whole "Japanese movies/cartoons
suck!" deal. You don't really know anything
about them, do you? You don't know me,
as much as I don't you, but I don't overstep
anything you say in a letter.

>There are plently of people that I have not liked when reading the first
>E-mail I
>have received from them, but later on, become very good friends with.

That's.. wonderful, but I don't see how
it pertains to what we're talking about.

>Not
>only
>that, but in the case of Luis, someone has played judge, jury, and
>executioner i.e.
>they have taken it apon themselves to a.) judge him as a bad person b.)
>decide that
>he should be punnished c.) insult him, pretend to be him, or make him sound
>more
>utterly stupid than need be. And coming from as many people as it did, he
>got (in
>my opinion) more punishment than he deserved.

I will disagree with you here. Louis has
been at this for a long enough time, and
for the most part, he was ignored. However,
offense after offense piled up, and he
crossed his boundries by light years the
last time. He continued it, which was
worse, so he basically hung himself.
He always could have stopped, and
prejudice shouldn't be tolerated from
-anyone-. I find nothing in him at all
to admire, like, or even in the tiniest
hint, respect. As I have said before,
he never contributed anything worthwhile
to this newsgroup, never stopped flaming
or hurting other people for a second.
I think he deserved and basically asked
for everything he got.

The same thing is going to
>happen in
>this case if we aren't careful. We are BOTH making judgements about each
>other
>that have almost no basis in reality. I insulted Sailor moon, you tried to
>make it
>sound good, insulted me,

I didn't try to make it sound good, I
pointed out the -facts- that were there.
You haven't seen all of Sailor Moon,
or even read the synopsis or manga,
so how would you -really- know what
it's like? How can you claim to know
about something, when you've never
seen it, nor experienced it?

>and most American movies, then I did the same thing
>for
>you and Japan.

I'm sorry, but most bigbudget American
movies are shit. I have the right to say
that, because I've seen most of them.
Infact, I'm going to see two today,
Ever After and Saving Private Ryan,
but I think these'll be good. I don't
hate every movie I see in America
because I "hate America and anything
from it", I ussually hate the movies I
see because they just really suck.

>This is turning into an endlessly repeating cycle that will
>get no
>one anywhere.

So why're you continuing it? I've had
awhile to think about this, and really,
after a week away from the internet
and all these petty fights, you come
to realize a lot of things. Pride's one
of the reasons, Justice, I think is another.
Until you see every episode of Sailor
Moon, or read the translated Manga's,
I'm going to still say you don't know
what you're talking about. And until;
you see every Japanese Anime, every
Japanese movie, etc, I'll still continue
to say you're wrong.

>Not many, I'll admit, but they've turned me off from seing any future ones.
>Now
>if you'll just give me 5 minutes to rebutt, because there is no way I can
>retire
>with you having the upper hand. This should balance things out.

With me having the upper hand? So this
-is- a pride thing. And no, it nothing you
can say will balance it out, not until you
at least go see some of the things I listed.
If you still don't like Anime, then, that's
fine, but at least you'll have seen something
a lot more worthwhile.

Also, to get back onto point and avoid
22000+ k messages, I'm snipping the
country arguments. If you want me
to respond to -that-, then E-mail me.

<snip>

>Suddenly we see that Yasha has a strong hatred for Amish people, as well as
>all
>slightly different cultures (sorry, but I'm getting annoyed again).

It's called an "Analogy", if you've never
been familarized with the term before.
FYI, Amish people don't use any technology
at all, and as our country is now, I'm sure
that if they tried anything, it'd end in their
mass genocide. If I had a hatred for
"slightly different cultures", tell me,
why would I like Japan's culture, or
Germany's, or most European/Asian
cultures, as well as Native American
and Latino cultures? I have a hatred
for people who insult something they
know nothing about. That's just wrong,
to me, at any rate.

>or the 30's or 2020. I'm not going to say what's you'r point because a.)I
>know
>what it is, and b.) you'd use that to insult my intellegance, as you no doubt
>will
>with this.

Well.. that was pointless. You didn't
have to respond to that. I'm sure
you know that there are countries
with a lot lower crime rates, but
aannnnyways..

<snip>

>Hahahahahaha....oh, THAT is a good one. Really funny. Apperently you have
>extrapolated even less from my messages than I had hoped.

Instead of laughing like a buffon, why
not start telling me about another countries
culture, then? Also, don't try to impress
people with big words, they don't go
well in the sentaces you use.

>I think I have reason to be stereyotipical to your sensativaty.

Uh, no, there's never any reason to
be stereotypical to anything!

>Now, before
>you
>reply with something along the lines of "what the hell does that mean", I'd
>like to
>say that my original message really only concerned Sailor Moon (although it
>contained one or two negative refferences to Japan).

And you know nothing about Sailor Moon
or Japan! Why did you even HAVE to
insult Japan at any rate, what exactly
made that nessicary? You were asking
for a reality check, buddy. Japan is not
perfect, but America is just as far from
it as any other country.

>You turned it into a
>"War of
>the Worlds", so to speak, and tryed to make America sound like some blazing
>inferno
>filled with deamons and murderers, which it is not at all.

I'd like to see you point all of that out
to me in all of my letters where I said
that. I happen to -live- in America, so
I really -should- know what's happening
in it, especially when I -do- attend the
school system. I see and hear about
what happens on the news, I've known
people that do horrible things. No,
America's not hell, but it's not hevan
either. It's sad when you can't even
trust your own neighbors, or even
have any good friends in your
neighborhood anymore. I've seen
a lot of things in my life. Perhaps
if you paid attention to the outside
world, you'd notice it too.

>Now let me
>guess,
>you'r going to say that you were no where near that insulting, and that it
>was more
>my fault than I made it out to be.

Why don't you stop your anal trip, hmm?
You have -no- idea what I'm going to
do/say, so stop pretending like you do.
I'll continue to rag on you until you
give me evidence or reason why I
should not.

>Same to you.

And I wouldn't -want- to know you,
either.

>About as many times as you have.

Let's take a census of who posts more
often. I only post to things when I can
contribute to it with infromation or when
I'm defending myself.

>Not once.

I'd say that Louis comment was a good
one. "Defending the UnderDog" puh!
I've seen a lot of other people get flamed
that didn't deserve it, so where were you
for them?

>And your point? I'm pretty much the same way, but that has nothing to do
>with
>this. Neither one of us has lied so far.

I'm frank and honest. I don't hide crap
like some people do. You're the one
wondering why I act like I do, and
I'm telling you. Maybe you should
listen instead of talking over me.

>I was planning on saying it sooner or later. All the talk of Sailor Moon
>provided
>the perfect oportunity. By the way, if it was so much like Alessandro's
>post, then
>why aren't you insulting him in the same way?

Because Alessandro had a good explaination
as to WHY he PERSONALLY did not
like Sailor Moon. He had facts to support
his feelings, evidence to back it up, and
enough experience with it to do so.
He didn't insult the country it came from,
nor did he say everyone else who watches
it sucks and wasted their time. He explained
his personal opinion and took it no farther
than that.

>So you think that insults and flames are the solution to things like this?

No, but you could have said something
more worthwhile than that.

>The
>answer to problems that don't exist. Really, I never wanted this, and I'm
>sure you
>didn't. So why make something out of nothing?

Because you started something you
couldn't handle. You dug yourself
into something when you've had
no experience with what you're insulting,
and you went farther than you should
have. You insulted everyone that
WATCHES Sailor Moon, and the
country it came from, AND the
style it is, and that insults the people
who CREATE these things and love
them, or watch them, or simply enjoy
them. I'm not making something out
of nothing, not in the least. You
overstepped your boudries.

>No, I couldn't. This is becoming truely pathetic. My posts are not ones to
>be
>skimmed.

I don't skim posts, I read them
several times before responding
to them. You seem to skim mine
a lot, as well as quoting things
that you don't respond to, which
is equally as annoying...

>If you don't read everything, or read it carefuly (incase you say
>that
>right here is incorrect, the word don't does apply to both things in this
>list),
>you will no doubt come to that conclusion.

So you're insulting my reading skills?
How do you know what I do or what
I do not do? I read things throughly
and I've seen you make a lot of grammar
mistakes. Not like I don't, but at least
I -try- not to.

>Part of it, also, is probably
>that
>you're not used to the style that I write in.

What, english?

>The only thing that I could
>use is
>spell check.

Uh.. yeah. That too.

Keith Olszewski

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
> Mark Palenik wrote:
>
> I yanked out my copy of Dracula after reading Keith Olszewski's
>(pardon if I spelled
> that wrong) post.

Nope, you nailed it. It really is a carp of a name... I couldn't spell
it myself 'till I was about 10.

-Zwecky
¿fnörd?

The Chaos Emerald

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Yasha Rris wrote...
>Mark Palenik wrote:

>>I actualy did see that movie, but stronly regretted it afterwo
>
> Did.. -anyone- like that movie?

I read the book; it was pretty good.

The Chaos Emerald

Sparrow

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Yasha Rris wrote:

> Read them all. Dracula was so boring,

Dracula? Did you actually read that? I guess you did.. duh... But ALL of it?
It really gets better later on, though I admit that it did drag.

> I've seen many books, many plays
> and thousands of peices of artwork,
> if not millions as well. I've studied
> history, extensivly, on my own and
> in school. I find a lot of that crap
> boring.

Yes, well some of us don't. As long as you're defending SM, please try and
not take other stuff down.

I didn't mean anything against SM. I just meant that if you're going to
defend something you like from someone who says it's crap, don't call things
that other people like crap.

> I love castles, haunted
> castles especially, I love Scotland
> and Ireland, and Germany. I like
> a lot of forigen things.. and America
> has no "real" culture,

We have Native American culture.

> because we
> are a "melting pot" and a lot of
> the things we do came from many
> other countries. Don't think I'm
> some stupid little ignoramous,

You stupid little ignoramous.

Just kidding.

> Because you think Cartoons Are For Kids.

Well, you must admit that many American cartoons don't contain a trace of
culture. Especially the new ones. Seeing as how he (Mark) lives in America (I
think), he probably didn't realize how cartoons could contain any culture.
But I think I'll let him speak for himself on that...

> They're not buddy. Japan doesn't work
> like America, and neither does a lot of
> other countries. They're not really all
> cartoons, they're just stories that are
> animated. I love animation, it's really
> mostly my entire life, and I'd rather
> see excelent animation, voice acting
> and plot than some stupid, bad acted
> movie like Titantic. What a crock.

The soundtrack was excellent, though.

> >But most of the cartoons from Japan would be done as live action movies or
> >TV shows here in America.
>
> And BADLY done so,

Ever seen Mission Impossible? Well, neither have I, but I saw one scene from
it that was more than enough to convince me to watch the whole thing (which I
still have yet to do). And Star Wars was pretty good. And I'm probably the
only one here who thinks Titanic was somewhat well-made (in the way of
acting, special effects, and music. The plot and script could have used quite
a bit of work, though). Of course, you were probably thinking of more
cultural stuff. I believe I have yet to see a movie based around culture.

> No, that's because of the school system.
> The pressure is so intense in competition
> and if you fail, it might cost you for the
> rest of your life. I understand this, since
> I have lived there and experienced that.
> But the unemployment rate in Japan is
> 2%.

Whew! You mean there are unemployed people in Japan?

> Verses our like 30% or whatever
> it is.

I believe it's higher than that.. or at least it used to be.

> >How can I respond to that.......how about "no".
>
> How about "Yes". You do, you've not
> shown me that you really know anything
> about what you're talking about. I wonder,
> to really read Dracula and Frankenstien,
> can you read German?

Hmm.. I was always under the impression that both stories were written in
English. Dracula is based in England (and Transylvania, of course, but mostly
England). I'm not sure about Frankenstein. I'll have to look it up...

> Really, why come I haven't heard of
> it then? I live in Santa Monica, which
> makes 200,000 look like a rural country
> road.

I live in Clawson, which IS a rural country road. And it makes just about any
place else look like New York.

> Most THIRD WORLD countries, yes,
> but I digress...

Now hold up there. Last I checked, America was up there with the higher
powers.

> Eh, not really. We're a pretty small
> country.

You nut. Where do you live, anyway? Like eastish, westish, center? Out here
in the western US, many of the towns actually have around ten miles or more
of fields and unclaimed (for lack of a better word) land between them. I
could probably safely say that at least 15% of the total population of this
town (if not more) owns at least one field. And there's still plenty of
desert land uncultivated by man a few miles eastward.

Sparrow

Aug 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/29/98
Mark Palenik wrote:

> Nope. I actualy built my computer. I suppose the K-6 chip in it could be
> Japaneese, but I'm not sure right now where it came from.

I'll bet there's a lot more stuff from Japan in there than that K-6 chip.

> I actualy did see that movie, but stronly regretted it afterwords.

You mean the Lost World as in the sequel to Jurassic Park? If so, then I'll
agree that it was a mistake to even make it.

> But then again, we have more people too, and naturaly, a lot of immigrants
> are not going to be able to get jobs, due to either a poor education, or
> lack of money.

Yeah. It's quite difficult for Mexicans to jump the border into Japan...

I've got nothing whatsoever against Mexicans. I don't listen to the
stereotypes, because I know most of them to be false. I just thought I might
use that as an example because, well, you never hear of Canadians illegally
immigrating to here, do you?

> > can you read German? I'm sure the
> > translation was a lot different.
>
> I'm sure it was translated as close as it possibly could be, and is not
> that different from the original.

Not at all different from the original, since it was written in English to
begin with.

Mark Palenik

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
I'll pray.

Alessandro Sanasi

Aug 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/30/98
On 29 Aug 98, Zwe...@flash.net (Keith Olszewski) wrote:

> > I like a lot of forigen things.. and
> > America has no "real" culture, because
> > we are a "melting pot" and a lot of
> > the things we do came from many
> > other countries.

> > But the unemployment rate in Japan is

> > 2%. Verses our like 30% or whatever
> > it is.

> Actually, it hovers at around 4-5%, unless of course you're counting
> children and the elderly, but... you wouldn't do THAT, would you?

> America's school system is much better than anyone seems willing to
> admit.

[...]

Well, just to mention it, this discussion was supposed to prove why Sailor
Moon is not worth being a fan of, and although this was off-topic, we
compensated it by making comparsions with SatAM.

But please note that the differences between countries and their political
systems were *NEVER* part of this discussion. To decide if a cartoon
series is good or not, only the series matters, not the unemployment rate
in the country where it was made, not their school system, not their
mentality, not who's better or stronger or whatever. *ONLY* the quality
of the series itself is what counts.

So please, if we _have_ to go on with discussing Sailor Moon stuff, at
least do leave the other issues out, ok? :)

David Bulmer

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
In article <199808241747...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, Shades104
<shad...@aol.com> writes
>>t seems to me Segasonic is not simply the continuity in the
>>Sonic games, but rather is the continuity in the Sonic games made by the
>>Sonic Team. Which is why it has been observed not only by this poster
>>that only Sonic 1, 2, 3, &K, Jam and presumably Adventure have that feel
>>to them.
>>--
>>David Bulmer
>
>I've had the same thought before. They're manuals are a lot better than the
>American ones... They just look cooler. I can make .gifs of .jpgs of The
>Japaneese Manual from Sonic Jam (I think), If anyoneis willing to translate.

Somebody MUST be able to translate, surely? I NEED to know what
those manuals say!!
--
David Bulmer

Keith Olszewski

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
Yes, IMAGINE that, me posting geopolitical concerns in what is quite
obviously a Sailor Moon newsgroup. Consider me chagrined.

-Zwecky
¿Ignotus Per Ignotum?

Alessandro Sanasi wrote:

> On 29 Aug 98, Zwe...@flash.net (Keith Olszewski) wrote:
>

> > > I like a lot of forigen things.. and
> > > America has no "real" culture, because
> > > we are a "melting pot" and a lot of
> > > the things we do came from many
> > > other countries.
>

> > > But the unemployment rate in Japan is
> > > 2%. Verses our like 30% or whatever
> > > it is.
>
> > Actually, it hovers at around 4-5%, unless of course you're counting
> > children and the elderly, but... you wouldn't do THAT, would you?
>

> > America's school system is much better than anyone seems willing to
> > admit.

petensue

Aug 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/31/98
Alessandro Sanasi wrote:

> [...]

> > The series goes much
> > deeper than what's been seen. However, DiC
> > and others seem hesitant to continue dubbing
> > episodes, since for one, they already changed
> > the sex of one character (due to not wanting to
> > deal with homosexuality issues), and also don't
> > want to deal with the death/sadness/complexity.
>
> That's the same mistake Ken Penders sometimes makes... tragedy and 'hot
> irons' that no one else wants to touch (e.g. religious / family / death /
> loss / responsibility issues in the Knuckles series) _alone_ don't make a
> worthwhile story. It's always the _plot_ and the characters that keep the
> fans hooked. And no matter how many death scenes or homosexuals or
> whatever there may be in the Japanese Sailor Moon version, as long as the
> plot outlines don't _noticeably_ vary from episode to episode (and not in
> every 20th episode only or between every set of 20 episodes only), it will
> always be a boring series in my eyes that is better to be ignored.

> > > Others say, Sailor Moon's animation is crap.
> >
> > This may seem like a simple retort, but could
> > you do much better?
>
> My personal opinion is that Sailor Moon's animation is _above_ the
> standard that is currently found in US cartoons. But then again, *I*
> never complained about the artwork, only that the plot is too
> stereotypical, and that a large portion of most episodes is too
> predictable and always-the-same.

> > And more often than not, better. Characters
> > do have different and often individual looks,
> > while Disney (to name an extremely famous
> > American company) sticks to nearly identical
> > designs, all the way down to face shape.
>
> Oh well... and _you_ would be able to distinguish the Sailor Scouts from
> one another, without their fancy hairstyles and -colors, _only_ by their
> faces? :)
>
> Again, not that I would care about artwork, but Japanese characters
> _always_ tend to look strongly alike, especially females (big button-eyes,
> very large mouth, especially when shouting, very slim body, very long
> legs, and fancy hairdoes).

> > The
> > recent release "Mulan" was an -extremely-
> > welcome exception, seeing as how this movie
> > was absolutely -brilliant-.
>
> What's "Mulan"?

> > To be totally honest here, Alessandro.. I do
> > in fact believe that this is an on-topic talk,
> > because for one, both the series SatAM and
> > Sailor Moon are being intelligently compared,
> > and other things are being mentioned as well.
>
> Actually, IMHO it isn't, since we only try to prove to each other why
> Sailor Moon is worth / not worth to be a fan of. We don't really compare
> it with SatAM... ;)
>
> Bye

> Alessandro
> ---
> You get what anyone gets. You get a lifetime.

>Shutup!SailorMoon Rulez...anna if ya'lls Gonna complain bout it..Go to >a Sailor Moon Newsgroup!!!
Kitie-Ti

Big-Felt

Sep 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/1/98

>>Shutup!SailorMoon Rulez...anna if ya'lls Gonna complain bout it..Go to >a
Sailor Moon Newsgroup!!!
>Kitie-Ti
Yeah I could understand the first time you guys talked about sailor moon but
it's getting out of hand. Go to alt.fan.sailor-moon