SatAM Season Three a reality (Ben Hurst, Where are you??!?!?)

sonicblur

Mar 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/10/00
Has the hoax post been removed yet?

Did ben hurst post here or there saying anything about the situtation?
The meeting with DiC was a true story, because did'nt he say a few weeks ago
here he was having one?

Where did ben go anyway?
-sonicblur

/ soni...@aol.com \
==========================
* Visit Sonic Metropolis at: *
* http://metrosonic.8m.com *
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quote:
"He's not gonna get away with
this" -Dr. Robotnik

Ben Hurst

Mar 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/12/00
sonicblur wrote:

> Has the hoax post been removed yet?
>
> Did ben hurst post here or there saying anything about the situtation?
> The meeting with DiC was a true story, because did'nt he say a few weeks ago
> here he was having one?
>
> Where did ben go anyway?
> -sonicblur

Heya. :)

I posted this to Ron's email list - and to a few websites, but following
is a report on my meeting on DIC to keep you up to date.

As you have heard, I had a meeting at Dic to start the process
towards
possibly re-awakening interest in a third season of Sonic in some
incarnation. I met with Robbie London, one of my favorite people. It
was an interesting conversation and helped to crystalize my thinking on
how to proceed. I also learned a little more about syndication and the
thought-processes of network executives in selecting shows to be
produced.

I am proud of the efforts of many of the Sonic fans in
assembling
petitions to try to return SatAm to the air and I will utilize these
petitions as I continue my quest. But the problem with Sonic all along
has been a lack of popularity. Though there is a core of steadfast
fans, Sonic has never generated the big numbers that keep a show on the
air. There are a number of reasons for this. Poor airing schedules,
shows pre-empted by sporting events (at least in the U.S.), tough
competition (Power Rangers) and perhaps even lackluster marketing (think
about it: did you ever see mass-marketing tie-ins for Sonic
Underground? A heavy wave of commercials?).

Whatever the reasons, Sonic has never had the kind of
"groundswell
support" of mass numbers, has never generated a "Ninja Turtles" or
"Power Rangers" type of popularity required to keep network executives
interested in continuing the show. Sonic fans, please note the words
"mass numbers." Again, your efforts have been Herculean and your
devotion has been unwavering, but the big numbers simply haven't been
there to make "bottom line-conscious" executives sit up and take notice.

I know it sounds like I'm painting a bleak picture, but this is
the
reality of network television. I won't even go into the syndication
market possibilities because that area is flat right now and syndicated
shows are at an all-time low. So how can Sonic fans create a demand? I
am of the mind that email is not as powerful as many think. And after
talking with Mr. London, I was reminded of something I learned from my
advertising days: the power of a good, old-fashioned letter. Corporate
entities take letters more seriously than they do email. Fact of life.
Letters can be felt, touched and read. I think they seem more "real" to
the powers-that-be. And I think they are more effective.

I encourage fans who wish to see SatAm (the first two seasons)
returned
to the airwaves to generate letters or petitions. Not to Dic or Sega,
but to their LOCAL NETWORK AFFILIATES and to organizations such as NICK
or the CARTOON NETWORK. Why? Because they have the power to buy. They
have the power to pass requests up the corporate ladder. Sega is fully
aware of the fan base, but they are the executive producers, creating a
product to sell. DIC is a hired gun. Corporations come to them with
funds and they produce the episodes. They only license a character or
series if they feel they can sell it. They can't survive otherwise.

I can not emphasize enough the power of a letter. Petitions can
be
printed and mailed, along with letters from the fans demanding the
return - or more favorable airing of a show. I know that in the case of
Sonic Underground, the show was aired at odd times and on sometimes
unpredictable schedules. Letters could possibly change that, but again,
those letters should be directed close to home - to the people who make
the schedules - the local affiliates. And it wouldn't hurt to direct
those letters to ABC or Disney either. Again, those are the people who
make the decisions to air a show.

At this time, it would be terribly difficult for me to pursue a
third
season of Sonic as a network show. Too many hurdles, the aforementioned
lack of mass numbers and a general industry inertia are formidable
arguments against that course of action. Direct-to-Video is slightly
more likely, but again, there has to be a known demand before any
company will risk the many millions required to produce this kind of
product. And it all starts close to home. If a demand were created by
fans, this could possibly change.

Perhaps the most viable option is an animated feature film. Mr.
London
gave me names at Sega to contact and I am attempting to set up meetings
with them to pursue this avenue. My marketing strategy is simple: a
great film could create an awakened interest in Sonic, breathe new life
into the existing produced series and increase the marketing and
merchandising possibilities for the little blue guy.

So, that's my "state of Sonic" address. It ain't all pretty,
but it's
based in the realities of the business. I will continue to pursue this
course until I either prevail or find every door closed. If fans wish
to assist, I am of the mind that good old, fashioned letters would prove
to be their most potent weapon.

Onward and upward,

Ben Hurst

Solly'n Hedgy

Mar 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/13/00

Ben Hurst a écrit dans le message <38CC24...@REMOVEpacbell.net>...

>sonicblur wrote:
>petitions to try to return SatAm to the air and I will utilize these
>petitions as I continue my quest. But the problem with Sonic all along
>has been a lack of popularity. Though there is a core of steadfast
>fans, Sonic has never generated the big numbers that keep a show on the
>air. There are a number of reasons for this. Poor airing schedules,
>shows pre-empted by sporting events (at least in the U.S.), tough
>competition (Power Rangers) and perhaps even lackluster marketing (think
>about it: did you ever see mass-marketing tie-ins for Sonic
>Underground? A heavy wave of commercials?).

An other hard Reality...
Sonic is basically a Japanese Character...
More people, like or heard of Sonic as the cool blue guy from the Video
Game...
And not from the Cartoon...

Making a TOTALLY Americanized Sonic is not a good thing especially for
Satam/Archie Lovers...
But I DON't say I totally don't like Satam/Archie version too...

I mean ... As long as SEGA/ARchie/DIC will serve us a Different Sonic..
"The Sonic World" in general won't have a good success like "Power rangers"
even
"X-men" or "Pokemon".

It seems Sonic is the first Character in the world history to be Cut & Paste
for
all people style...

(It reminds me the drawing I re-worked where Sonic has the head of Sally and
Vice-versa)
^_^i

And I wonder why... but the best success of Sonic Underground is still in
France...
I have to admit the french version of SU is better...

Why making a cartoon to include... stupid lyrics and bad singers inside ???
Even the Backgrounds musics (which were very beatiful in Satam)
are not in harmony with the action of the cartoon....
~ But listenning them alone and they're great...~

If a new Sonic Cartoon were made... I would like that those little things
get more attention from producers...

For example, I loved the new Sonic design with FINALLY 9 Spikes...
And all those japanese style expressive heads...

Making a cartoon were Sonic has siblings and magical/musical instruments...
And especially meet Knuckles and show Chaos Emeralds' infinite power...
It's not a too bad idea...
But I wonder why the result was so bad... ?

Best points of Sonic Underground were always recovered by a Weak Point
1. Knuckles Appears (he got a FAT design) - Tails Disappears
2. Why Knuckles were renamed "Castagne" in the french version ???
I know it's not your business..
3. The action in "Friend Or Foe" was SLOWW... Does Sonic is supposed to be
fast ?
4. Why there were only "GReen Chaos Emeralds" ?????? And not our 7 colors
5. Sonia's Voice....
6. Not enough Sonic's Spin & Dash & Fly Attack, but too much "Guitar Attack"
There's so much ...

Why not making a Sonic Adventure Based Cartoon ?
But I don't think it is possible...
I'm sure if DIC was passing a "SegaSonic" Test,
DIC couldn't answer to the half of the questions...

Like the fact, it exists 7 Chaos Emeralds,
"Sonic World" is basically a world of legends and magical powers,
Where a lot of the planet parts still has a Blue Sky, and green forests,
According to the Master Emerald who guard this world from the Chaos,
where live peaceful animals,

"Sonic is always living fast, and always travelling for a new adventure..."
Those lines are simply present in the japanese Sonic 2 Manual and were also
in Aosth...

It's hard to say but...
The best Sonic cartoon is Aosth... :/
Finally...

If a 4th Sonic Cartoon is in Progress... Why not asking a real Sonic Fan
about such little details on the basically Sonic World ?

I'm especially thinking about Alessandro, Dave Bulmer, Green Gibbon,
Eva Richarte, Chaos Emerald, Artie, Raz...
And there's some others who know Sonic enough good to help DIC making a
good & respectable Sonic Cartoon.

> Perhaps the most viable option is an animated feature film. Mr.London
>gave me names at Sega to contact and I am attempting to set up meetings
>with them to pursue this avenue. My marketing strategy is simple: a
>great film could create an awakened interest in Sonic, breathe new life
>into the existing produced series and increase the marketing and
>merchandising possibilities for the little blue guy.
>
> So, that's my "state of Sonic" address. It ain't all pretty,
>but it's
>based in the realities of the business. I will continue to pursue this
>course until I either prevail or find every door closed. If fans wish
>to assist, I am of the mind that good old, fashioned letters would prove
>to be their most potent weapon.

A film could be interesting .. but as I said before...
It's dangerous with all the different Sonic version which exists...

The last best thing I saw from American productions,...
is this story with the mysterious Sonic Zone Cop....
And all those dimensions'Sonic...
As someone else in the NG said before...

You can get something very strong from a such story's start...

------
One last thing,

I regret to criticize Sonic Underground so much.
But I think I can say what I really think on it...

I'm one of those people who like SoUnd,
And I tried to find the maximum informations on it...
I even writted to the Studio TEX for...
because in France we didn't had the ending theme...or not enough time to
catch it..
Recording all 40 episodes...
Bought a VCR Multisystem in Stereo... only to record with a high quality...
Bought a Miro DC10 and a PCTV to make captures screen...
Encoding and Listenning again & againg those 40 Songs in Stereo...
Know almost all music and lyrics.. for the french and english version...
I separated Good and Bad points...
And being Objective to defend it..

Simply because it's Sonic related...
I even made a web site with my own screen shots...Still unfinished shame...
Talking about this ... If you're reading this post Ben Hurst..
I would love that you visit my website...especially the TV section...

Well,
All what I would like is a more careful production if a 4th Sonic US Cartoon
is made...
Maybe Sonic is a business, which make win lot of money...
But it is also a creation which must be respected...

And since the beginning Sonic had no respect from his creators...
I even wonder how he is so fame...
Must I remind The problem with Robotnik / Eggman ?
(A great solution could be if they were cousin...)
Sega took a lot of time to accept Sonic as "Sega's mascot" and not
"Megadrive's mascot"
Never had a official Sonic Manga and a enough good & interesting JP
Cartoon..
Which is a horrible thing in Japan...
Different Musics for CD Sonic.. Why not keeping Japanese Musics...?
Never a good_ Sonic 1&2&3 OST
Apparition of 3 different universe known as, Segasonic, Archie/Satam,
Fleetway...
With 3 different design... Different Characters and stories...
Where are the merchandising ? They're only beginning to appear...
If they want Sonic to be more fame... why Archie doesn't allow more
international orders ???
I still would like to get those 6 Nights mini series...and Sonic
Specials...
Why canceling what seemed to be a great Sonic Games ? I'm talking about
Sonic X-treme
Sonic 3D Blast is not better, I'm SURE OF THIS !....
When Sonic Fans will be able to play SegaSonic and Sonic The Fighters ????
in a Sonic JAM 2 For example, and there's so much Arcade adpatations ..
then it's not
a problem for adapting those games...
Even no respect for "Kyle" the Frog...!!! (which I recall is "Froggy")
"Mobius" is it the right name of the planet where live Sonic or not ???
Or Does the Sonic Team Definitely decide Sonic is on "Earth" or "Planet
Freedom"..

That's all for today
Good Night

Solly
~The Dream Avenue~
http://www.dream-avenue.com
A Dream Is All What It Needs For The Flame Of Hope