Dan's review of Sonic #116

Ronald D Bauerle

Nov 16, 2002, 5:35:01 PM11/16/02
to mail2news-20021116-a...@anon.lcs.mit.edu
>From: "Daniel J. Drazen" <dra...@andrews.edu>
>To: <sonic-p...@franken.de>, <rdba...@juno.com>
>Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:13:06 -0500
>Subject: Review w/Spoilers: Sonic #116

Sonic #116 [Jan 2003]

Spaz/Ribeiro/Ray cover, and a VERY dynamic cover it is of Bunnie
and Rouge engaged in aerial combat, with Sonic along for the ride
and I'm guessing not enjoying himself. But when did Bunnie start
hitting the peroxide bottle? Somewhere along the way she's gone
from being a homey brown bunny to being the color of a ripe banana.
Not a good look for her.

Axer/Amash/anonymous colorist frontispiece of Sonic, Bunnie, and Rouge
amid the ruins of what may have been meant to be Robotropolis. It sure
shows a lot more damage than the city featured in this issue; more on
that as we go. Nice modeling of Rouge, but it leaves out or at least
softens the elements of sex and danger in her character that IMHO
make her interesting.

"Operation: Off Switch"

Story: Benny Lee; Art: Ron Lim; Ink: Andrew Pepoy and Pam Eklund;
Coloring: Josh and Aimee Ray; Lettering: Jeff Powell; Editor:
J. F. Gabrie; Managing Editor: Victor Gorelick; Editor-in-chief:
Richard Goldwater.

Sonic and Bunnie, who's sporting a purple warm-up jacket with her pink
top, get briefed by President Square. Seems he's got reconnaissance
photos of "an abandoned city in Mobius' northern hemisphere", which
really doesn't narrow things down a whole lot. What's NOT narrow is
the "new super-artificial body" the late Ivo Robotnik is constructing
for himself, despite the fact that he's dead.

RDB note: I never got the impression the Station Square inhabitants
had the technology (or interest) to launch _satellites_...

This might be a good time to clue in the newbies. It is duly noted that
Robotnik's old bod was nuked in S110's "Station Square Attacks". What
was NOT duly noted was the fact that THAT body was his post-Endgame model
as revealed in S75's "I Am The Eggman". Seems that there is no REAL
Robotnik anymore, only Robo-Robotnik, who was first encountered in Sonic
#19's "Night of a Thousand Sonics" and who turned up later in S22's
"The Return". What's his deal? Seems he's supposed to be the "true"
Robotnik consciousness or whatever, and he can keep downloading himself
into different bodies. This is supposed to explain why the same villain
could look so different when comparing the SatAM version with that of
the pre-Adventure games as well as the Adventure games themselves.
So the unstated assumption, which the newbies will have to wait until
next month's "Cyber Race" to learn about, is that this is just the
latest download from Robo-Robotnik.

Prez Square tells our dynamic duo that Rouge was sent out "nearly twelve
hours ago" and hasn't been hear from since. And the writers thought THEY
worked under tight deadlines! Makes me wonder what the travel time
is between Station Square and Knothole if he felt he had to buzz Sonic
and Bunnie if Rouge hadn't gotten the job done by lunchtime. Sonic must
be wondering this himself since he pretty much points out that calling
him
in in the first place would have made more sense. Whereupon President
Square falls apart and literally begs Sonic on bended knee to take the
assignment. Oh yeah, I can see why HE got elected; makes me wonder about
the other losers... er... candidates. Once more when dealing with the O's
Sonic has trouble keeping a straight face (see "Crouching Hedgehog,
Hidden Dragon: Part 2," S107), and insists he was only kidding. Mobians
must have a very subtle sense of humor because I'm still trying to figure
out what the joke is here, though looking at Pres. Square I have a good
idea WHO the joke is.

RDB note: and apparently there are no hard feelings on Sonic & Co's part
for the Station Square's nuking of Robotropolis...

Turns out the city in question is "Old Megopolis", complete with broken-
down Statue of Liberty knock-off in the harbor. Sonic resists the urge
to quote [Charlton] Heston: "Darn you all to heck!!!" Hey, this IS
an Archie comic! After a quick survey of the city from a rooftop,
as if they could see inside buildings, Sonic and Bunnie split up,
and we follow Sonic from here on.

Sonic's not on his own for very long when he's targeted by some defense
system or other firing missiles at him. Rather than go into a lot of
bulldada about creating false after-images of himself to confuse the
missiles, as he did in the infamous "Big Goodbye" (S50), he simply
outruns them as he gives them a tour of the city subway system.
What exactly happened to the missiles is never explained (my guess
is that Sonic has a tighter turning radius in enclosed spaces), nor
do we know why Sonic can look at a nondescript pair of unmarked doors
and think "There it is!"

"It" turns out to be the latest manifestation of scientific evil ready
to plague Mobius: WEEBLE (r) ROBOTNIK! I'm sorry, but that's what
he looks like, if you ignore the tail-like robot arm that appears to be
coming out of his butt. Sonic isn't in a position to ignore it after
getting sucker-punched a couple times, but he pulls it together almost
immediately and runs Weeblebotnik ragged until the arm shorts out.
Having rendered his foe armless (sorry, I couldn't resist), Sonic takes
a stick of low-tech dynamite, probably provided courtesy of the Acme
Company, lights the fuse and shoves it... well, I know where I'd have
liked to see him shove it but this being an Archie comic Sonic has to
settle for sticking the TNT in Buttnik's pie hole. Sonic then runs off
before the inevitable kaboom, though in the last panel Sonic is so far
away that there's no SFX accompanying the explosion.

RDB note: I've previously whined about that being too reminiscent of
a similar scene with a "living" henchman shortly after the Superman
reboot 15 (!) years ago :^(

HEAD: It's official: Benny Lee has just written his first turkey.
It's not like it wasn't going to happen sooner or later.

This story has a LOT of problems. One of the biggest has to do with
where exactly this action is taking place. Go back to page [4] and the
arrival of Sonic and Bunnie at "Old Megopolis". Note that the lettering
in Sonic's word balloon at the bottom of page [4] is distinctly different
from the lettering for Bunnie's word balloons. This makes me wonder
whether there wasn't a certain amount of confusion as to just what city
this is. It couldn't be set in Robotropolis because it would be way more
of a ruin and probably still "hot" as a result of the radiation from the
aforementioned nuking the city received. And Rouge might have had a tough
time getting past the force field that supposedly sealed the fallout
inside in the first place.

The time element is another problem in the story. Station Square, if the
map of Mobius is to be believed, is a LOOOOOONG way from Knothole, since
the Freedom Fighters had to travel by air to get there in the "Crouching
Hedgehog, Hidden Dragon" story arc. Even assuming that Bunnie has enough
flight capability to make the trip while schlepping Sonic along like an
overnight bag, it would've taken a good chunk of time to make the trip.
Which means that Prez Square got in touch with Knothole well before the
12-hour mark on Rouge's mission clock.

I can't understand why Robotnik chose such a lame form to be reincarnated
into... or downloaded into or whatever you want to call it. I'll grant
that as a quick-and-dirty bod he can occupy until he builds himself
a better one it'll do, but that still doesn't stop it from looking
totally ridiculous.

As for the climax, it is transcendently stupid. Maybe I'm too old to be
impressed by the Chuck Jones/Tex Avery Insert a Stick of Dynamite Into
the First Bodily Orifice That Presents Itself Gambit, but when you're
at page 11 of an eleven-pager I suppose you have to do SOMETHING.

This story shows up the limitation of the present Sonic comic format.
It really doesn't compare well with the stories that ran during the
first two or three years of the comic. It wasn't that the material
was new and the writing necessarily had to break new ground. There
was also a bit more room to do it in. Eleven pages is enough to do
something good, but it makes it hard to do something GREAT unless
you REALLY work at it. And given both the comic's deadlines and the
limitations of the form, that's pretty long odds. Benny Lee had to
stumble at some point; at least he got it over with. Head Score: 3.

EYE: There were some people on Ken Penders's message board who complained
of this incarnation of Robotnik looking ugly. I wouldn't go THAT far,
but IMHO he DOES look incredibly stupid. I don't know whether Ron
came up with the Weeble idea or whether he drew it on orders from
Benny Lee. The end result is still the same.

Cutting corners visually seems to be the hallmark of Ron Lim's style
here. Look at the first three pages, set in what is supposed to be
Pres. Square's office. Remember, we're talking about the president
of a country here. So what kind of an office does he rate? Aside from
lines meant to suggest a hardwood floor, there's a bookcase filled with
volumes that look almost identical, a desk and a chair, maybe some kind
of telecommunication device on the desk along with a blotter pad,
and that's it! This reminds me of a classic scene from "Plan 9 From
Outer Space", the infamous Ed Wood Jr. movie considered to be so bad it's
actually entertaining. In that scene, an Air Force colonel is in his
office at the Pentagon, which features a blonde wood secretary's desk,
a chair, a phone, a reading lamp, and a map of the United States on the
wall. And even though it's masked in a later scene, viewers can clearly
see that the US map has the logo of the Santa Fe Railroad prominently
displayed in the lower left corner. An Air Force colonel can't
do better than a free map he got at the railroad station?

This only demonstrates that when you try to cheap it out, even if it's
the only way to make deadline, what you're left with looks... cheap.
Don't even get me started on Ron's rendering of the city; almost all
of it appears to have been dashed off with a straight edge and pen
except for the Empire State Building silhouette. It's an empty,
soulless backdrop, nothing more. I wouldn't make such a big deal
of this were it not for the fact that the work of J. Axer is a hedgehog
of a different color; his ruins are better-looking and more convincing
than Lim's buildings. Eye Score: 3.

HEART: I'd like to say that this story was emotionally involving for me
and clearly demonstrated the concept of "Heart" I look for in this comic.
I'd LIKE to say that, but in all honesty I can't. There isn't an honest
emotional moment in it, not even in the beginning when the Prez goes into
abject begging mode for no clear reason and in a manner that comes close
to being over the top, or when Sonic tries to pass off his earlier
comment as a joke (which I STILL don't get). It ends with the
"climactic" confrontation between Sonic and the Robotnik du jour,
the first in what I fear will be a series of many.

When Ken Penders first went public with the notion that Robotnik would
never "die" but would simply keep downloading himself into one version
after another, even unto the Robotnik Action Figure in K25's "Childhood's
End" (which will reappear in the course of the Knuckles: Twenty Years
Later arc... maybe), I was thoroughly depressed. I want the Mobians
to catch a break, to get to the point where they don't have to be
on a war footing, where they can be (dare I use the word?) Happy!

RDB note: a just as pessimistic RL analogy is that we'll never
be free of "terrorist alerts" until the Second Coming :^(

That was the saving grace for the otherwise light-weight "Meanie In
A Bottle" which ran last month. It featured Sonic NOT in combat mode,
without the furrowed brow, not getting intimate with someone by using
a handful of explosives. He was, in short, a Freedom Fighter between
fights, and Benny Lee's vision of Sonic and Muttski in that story was
charming.

This particular incarnation of Robotnik was so stupid and easily defeated
that it didn't represent much of a fear factor. Still, some of the
everyday exercises such as "Young at Heart" (S114) aren't just filler
meant to take up 5 or 6 pages. They're at least as important in terms of
understanding the characters as the longer stories, especially WRT their
personalities, which is why for the most part they've worked so well
this year. Too bad the same couldn't be said for this story.
Heart Score: 2.

"Bat Fight!"

Story: Karl Bollers; Art: J. Axer; Ink: Jim Amash; Color: Josh and
Aimee Ray, Lettering: Jeff Powell; Editor/"Referee": J. F. Gabrie.

And now, after a deservedly long hiatus, Archie Comics presents:
a Mindless Fight Story! It's one page of set-up and four pages
of Bunnie and Rouge pounding on each other. Plot? Story?
Characterization? Fuggedaboudit!

HEAD: I'm reminded of TIME Magazine's review of "A Fistful of Dollars",
the groundbreaking spaghetti Western directed by Sergio Leone:
"A nameless stranger (Clint Eastwood) rides into a sleepy Mexican town.
He kills some bad guys, he kills some more bad guys, and then, for a
change of pace, he kills some more bad guys. Then he rides out of town.
Music up, fade out."

One of the main differences between this mindless fight sequence and
others that have gone before, such as #59's "Opposites Detract",
the aptly-named "Battle Royal", and just about any occasion where
Monkey Khan puts in an appearance, is that Karl Bollers does NOT feel
the need to have the ladies say SOMETHING, ANYTHING, in absolutely
every panel of every page.

I have mixed emotions about this. I've been arguing for a long time
that the drawings, the visual element in a comic, should carry more of
the narrative weight of a story instead of being something to break up
the word balloons. Karl obliges me here and demonstrates that it can
be done.

Having said that, I have to point out that, unfortunately, Rouge's
first major appearance in this comic is the occasion for an Idiot Plot.
As you'll remember, and as Bunnie seems to have conveniently forgotten,
the whole point of this exercise was to see if Bunnie could locate Rouge
on behalf of President Square. Had Bunnie been able to communicate this
to Rouge successfully, the fight would have been considerably shorter
and fewer teeth would have been loosened on both sides.

I also had a hard time figuring out the context of Bunnie's "Oh, no you
didn't" on page 2. So perhaps there WAS more dialogue that somehow landed
on the cutting-room floor thanks to J. Fred's refereeing. And the ENDING!
The dialogue is the only thing about that last panel that can be
described as "flat". Head Score: 3.

EYE: To nobody's surprise, J. Axer nails Rouge's look. I didn't think
she had gray eyes, but it works for her. And he knows how to do a fight
scene. Eye Score: 9.

HEART: I had really, REALLY hoped for better from Rouge's introduction;
after all, her one-panel cameo in S98 didn't really count. In SA2,
Rouge is a very well-developed... OK, well-thought-out... character.
Her interaction with Knuckles, especially the scene where he makes a
last-second grab and saves her life, is really telling. When a player
of the game completes a task with time to spare as Rouge and she scores
an A, her brag line, "It's all too easy for me!" says volumes about her.
And of course her weakness for jewelry is one of her defining flaws;
we're not told how she got trapped by Robotnik but it's not hard
to imagine that something sparkly was the bait. She was a complete
personality, with strengths and weaknesses on display.

Yet all that goes off to the side in the context of a mindless fight
story such as this one. You get no sense of personality at all from
either of the ladies. Seeing Rouge do a Stacey Keibler impersonation
does the character and the readers a disservice. Next time let's see
Rouge as Rouge and not as a pro-wrestler. Heart Score: 1.

RDB note: FWIW, here's that Tiny Toons mud-wrestling pic, but I'll admit
it's not that detailed, and you pretty much have to be a fan of the show
to appreciate it:
ftp://acmelabs.com/pub/images/toon/kb-mudwrestling.jpg (153k)

Fan Art: Susan Rosenberg and Kelly Cox each draw the same exact pose
of Tails, and you couldn't ask for two more different drawings.
Kelly manages to give Tails a middle-age spread. Phillip Pagdilao
and Courtney Fountain each submit a portrait of Sonic.

"Ultimate Power: Mid-logue: The Lesson"

Story: Ken Penders; Art: Ron Lim; Ink/Color/Lettering:
Josh and Aimee Ray; Editor: Justin Gabrie.

No, I'm not wondering what the younger Knuckles is doing in the presence
of his father; rather, I'm scratching my head over the word "mid-logue",
but I'll save that for later. We're told that the creatives "have taken
a detour in the telling of our current storyline." No, you think?

The young Knuckles and Locke, whose beard has turned a shade of blue
your own grandmother wouldn't be caught dead wearing, watch as three
figures enter the Chaos Chamber. They're apparently after the Chaos
Emerald which "is what keeps the piece of real estate airborne".
As Locke tells Knuckles to stay under cover, the lad is joined by his
older self, though the former apparently can't see or hear the latter.
But being your typical boy-type kid, Knuckles the Younger doesn't stay
in place for very long.

The story then bogs down over the question of whether this is a dream,
a flashback, a deja vu, a bout of time travel, or what. Since Ken
doesn't seem to know himself, let's not waste time on it.

Knuckles the Elder, or Green Knuckles if you prefer, enters the Chaos
Chamber as Locke confronts what appear to be three roboticized Mobians.
These, we are told, are "Robotnik's scout-bots", though you have
to wonder why Buttnik didn't go all the way and use humanoid instead
of animal forms. Anyway, the bots quickly abandon their cover story
of being low on fuel in favor of stating that their on a statch-and-grab
mission for "the Master". Before Locke can say that he has a problem
with that, Red Knuckles tries to get the drop on the baddies and gets
swatted like a fly for his trouble. Locke responds by... well, here's
how he explained it: "When I projected my consciousness onto the gem,
it became a conduit for draining their power circuits." Oh-kaaaay.
Knuckles then quotes Stan Lee and we end up with Knuckles watching
as Locke gets an incoming call from Constable Remington.

HEAD: Let's talk about words. Today's word is "neologism".

A neologism [neo, "new" and logos, "word"] is a freshly-coined word.
No matter how long the English language has existed, no matter how many
foreign words are borrow, no matter how much slang is appropriated,
there seems to always be a need to invent words when the current
inventory just doesn't cover it. Readers of this comic deal with one
such word in every issue: "echidna", a New Latin word based on the Greek
for "viper". When Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone, he also
created the concept of space redefined by technology: two people could
converse as if in the same room even though they might be separated
by hundreds of miles. Yet there was no single word to describe this
concept until William Gibson coined such a neologism in his 1984 novel
"Neuromancer": the word "cyberspace".

For this story, Ken Penders has apparently coined the word "midlogue"
or "mid-logue". It tries to convey the meaning of a passage being neither
prologue nor epilogue, each of which incorporates the Greek word "logos"
meaning "word," and since it comes in the middle of a story arc, that's
what puts the "mid-" in midlogue.

I was puzzled when I saw the word, and my spell checker doesn't think
too much of it, either. This is not because it's a bad neologism;
ungainly, maybe, but not disastrous. But there are a lot of other words
that will do just as well. "Digression" is one. "Interregnum", which
carries the primary meaning of the space of time between the death
of one king and the accession of his successor but which has also come
to mean any break in continuity, is probably too far over the heads
of the pre-ado boy demographic. Personally, I favor "flashback",
which itself is a neologism from the motion picture industry and which
would serve quite well in a comic book. Or Ken could have just skipped
the whole thing, simply called this story "The Lesson" and let the
readers figure it out for themselves.

"Mid-logue" is the least of this story's problems. The exact nature of
this short, strange trip is another. Ken goes out of his way to smack
Knuckles in the face with the realization that this isn't just a stroll
down Memory Lane for him. It appears to be some kind of time travel
flashback because he experiences things he couldn't have remembered,
having been smacked by one of the bots on the first occasion. But Ken
doesn't quite clue us in as to what exactly it IS. This not only
introduces an element of confusion, it also disrupts the pacing
of the story.

I was also concerned about the "scout-bots", which look for all the
world just like roboticized Mobians, or "robians", another neologism
I could have done without. Without that crucial designation, we'd have
gotten the impression that Locke was being his old amoral self again,
not hesitating to "kill" if the occasion called for it. It reminded
me too much of the scene from the "King of the Hill" arc where the
Brotherhood, in response to Monk's bullying of Knuckles, tie him up
and throw him off the Island to what would surely have been his death.

The worst, though, is the Grand Canyon-size gap between Locke's actions
and the "moral" of the story, quoting from the Gospel According to
Spiderman: "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility". Yes, Ken
borrowed it word for word. I know that Ken has an abiding admiration
for Stan Lee, Kirby, Eisner, and the other heavies of the industry,
but is this really the best way to showcase it?

Martin Buber, in his short tales of the Hasidic masters, tells a story
about Rabbi Zusya of Hanipol. Rabbi Zusya expressed the concern that,
when he faces God in the judgment, he wouldn't be asked why he wasn't
more like Moses, or more like Elijah. Rather, he was afraid of being
asked why he wasn't more like Rabbi Zusya!

RDB note: the problem with that is that it usually takes a lifetime
to figure out who we really are, let alone to become them :^|

At some point, homage becomes a way of not having to think about what
one is doing. Ken, you've shown that you can do good work on your own.
Work on that. We don't need to know that you can quote Stan Lee.
Or the Beatles. Head Score: 5.

EYE: A double dose of Ron Lim this month. His drawings of the Knuckles
cast aren't off-model but they're still "off" in a way I can't describe.
The eyes of the echidnas appear to have been drawn freehand, and
Knuckles, whatever his age, has been cursed with those infamous
too-skinny arms. Eye Score: 6.

HEART: I guess we're supposed to feel sorry for the young Knuckles
as he was left alone by Locke with a badly-drawn tear in his eye,
but Ken passes up the opportunity to squeeze a drop or two out of the
situation by having teenage Knuckles start musing about "Is this a dream
or what?" Of course, it might have been awkward if Knuckles had actually
managed to give himself a hug. It would have been just as bad for
Knuckles to remember Locke's dramatic abandonment scene; that would
have been a flashback inside a flashback. On the whole, not very
engaging. Heart Score: 5.

This Justin: Fred lets us know that one of the back stories next month
will answer the question "How did Robotnik survive being nuked and
download himself into that stupid-looking Weeble body?" All in five
pages, yet! One of my major gripes about the Icon story arc (S69-70)
is that it never really was established WHY Jack Rabbit wanted to keep
Sonic and Tails prisoner in Sandblast City. Romy Chacon, making her debut
in this comic, will attempt to answer that one in the next issue. Swell,
it took someone something like four freakin' YEARS to tie up THAT loose
thread! At least she'll have her stuff illustrated by Art Mawhinney,
so the scenery should be good, at least. And then there's the next
Knuckles installment.

In other news, a temporary cover redesign is in the works starting with
S118, and he starts hyping S125. So far, all I know about it is that
Ken Penders in his latest chat session said that it would be a one-story
issue.

Sonic-Grams: The Huynh Brothers catch a colorful discrepancy in the Amy
Rose data file. They also describe the art of Many Hands for the "Cry
of the Wolf" adaptation as being "'animation' type of drawing"; I'd call
it first draft storyboard quality. A Lupe fan and former comic reader
returns to the fold; Fred might want to think about working her back
into the continuity one of these years, if only as a one-shot. A newbie,
KoolKongo6, wants to know if Cream the Rabbit, and presumably Cheese her
Chao baby, will be appearing in the book; the answer is, they've got
enough work trying to fold Rouge and Shadow into the mix.

RDB note: apparently Ken or whoever write these responses doesn't
read his own MB, where Cream was discussed recently (but to be fair,
maybe it was before these responses were composed).

Frankly,
I'm STILL waiting for them to something worthwhile with Rouge. Doug,
writing on behalf of the Sonic Squad, sings the praises of S114 but
thinks that Benny Lee's killing off of the faux fox in "Twice Told Tails"
was "a bit too sad." Nice to know I'm not the only one mining this
comic for Heart.

RDB note: not sure I agree with his characterization of Julie-Su
as "anti-social"; "asocial" might be better, but still a stretch
("anti" = against, "a" = neutral)

Andvari Dracosine

Nov 16, 2002, 9:34:40 PM11/16/02
<snip>

> ...VERY dynamic cover it is of Bunnie

>and Rouge engaged in "aerial combat,"

This so almost sparks interest for me in those damn comics again.

>with Sonic along for the ride
>and I'm guessing not enjoying himself.

...that's just unfair.

...or something.

___________
AR - Andvari
AFSH's Old Man
Keeper of The Pre-Sig

StHJJ1 Son+++Tal+++iSal+^Bun+Sera+++!
Amy-/+{+}[--]Big+"Knu~McS+++Egg++Rou-/+
E102+++Ant---Ads---Arc--WkS++++Flt?P+++
$+++Dhfmo E25 Ee27 Eee17 Ay86 GM CoMI

Mr. Encyclopedia

Nov 17, 2002, 4:18:09 PM11/17/02

"Andvari Dracosine" <andv...@aol.compost.org> wrote in message

> <snip>
>
> > ...VERY dynamic cover it is of Bunnie
> >and Rouge engaged in "aerial combat,"
>
> This so almost sparks interest for me in those damn comics again.

It's help if Aerial Combat were something more like "Hot greased-up sexx0r."

DarkeSword

Nov 18, 2002, 12:58:31 AM11/18/02
andv...@aol.compost.org (Andvari Dracosine) wrote:

><snip>
>
>> ...VERY dynamic cover it is of Bunnie
>>and Rouge engaged in "aerial combat,"
>
>This so almost sparks interest for me in those damn comics again.

The fight scene with Rouge and Bunnie is very well drawn and colored.
It's the highlight of the issue.
____________________________________
<(;Ź_Ź)> DarkeSword
- AFSH's Resident Composer/Remixer