Shostakovich's influence on Bernard Herrmann, Miklos Rozsa

Your Name

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96

Does anyone have any scholarly sources on the influence that Shostakovich
had on great film composers like Hermann and Rozsa. I always felt that
Hermann had at least been familiar with the eighth quartet when he created
the the shower sequence in Psycho. Portions of Vertigo also have a
Shostakovichian feel to them, as well. I have also always thought that
Rozsa's scores for 40s film noirs like Double Indemnity are strongly
influenced by S's musical thinking. Is there any evidence for these
observations? I think its great material for speculation.

Opus47

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96

Yes Your Name please?

I don't know about Shostakovich's influence on Bernard Hermann, but I
do have a recording of the suite from Shostakovich's film Hamlet done by
Hermann and the National Philharmonic Orchestra (1975). Hermann plays the
music as if he wrote it himself. It's thee version to have of the Hamlet
film score.

Fred
Florida

Frank Dudley Berry, Jr.

Oct 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/10/96

Have to diagre here. Psycho was released in 1960. possibly even late 1959, and
thus Herman's score had to be composed before the Eight Quartet. Also, although the
score is very effective (I saw the movie when it first came out, when I was fourteen,
when the shower scene was still a surprise, a mind-set that is now unrecoverable; I have
never experienced in my whole life since anything remotely like the collective panic
that scene caused in that ordinary theatre), it is not particularly good music.

Frank Dudley Berry, Jr.
(408)299-8424
emi...@ix.netcom.com
The first move in any game is deciding to play.

li.elena...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2018, 12:05:30 AM3/25/18
On Thursday, October 10, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Your Name wrote:
> Does anyone have any scholarly sources on the influence that Shostakovich
> had on great film composers like Hermann and Rozsa. I always felt that
> Hermann had at least been familiar with the eighth quartet when he created
> the the shower sequence in Psycho. Portions of Vertigo also have a
> Shostakovichian feel to them, as well. I have also always thought that
> Rozsa's scores for 40s film noirs like Double Indemnity are strongly
> influenced by S's musical thinking. Is there any evidence for these
> observations? I think its great material for speculation.

The eighth came out in 1943 not 1975.