YKYWTMSMW ... [Chinese Sailor Moon]

The Evil Professor Chronos

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

Tsui Wai Man <wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk > wrote:

>The Evil Professor Chronos (crs...@inforamp.net) wrote:
>
>> I have the worst luck in the world. The very next day after I
>> finished writing the most recent FSC story, I saw for the first
>> time Sailor Moon S episode 31. (Um, I think that's episode 120, for
>> those of you on the single series numbering system.)
>
>> I cried for hours afterwards.

> Is it the episode in which Mimet got ...(well, you know)?

Well, switched off, anyway. I'm probably just in denial, but I
somehow feel it's not entirely impossible that she survived. Of
course, these are probably just delusions created by my Mimet-loving
mind to prevent me from going insane.

> (but I'd never forgive her for killing Eudial, my favourite Witch)

I have similar delusions about Eudial surviving ... I mean, going
over a cliff in a car shouldn't present much of a problem to someone
who can TELEPORT, right?! (I theorized that Kaolinite survived the
Tokyo Tower incident for this reason, and turned out to be right ...
so I figure it's quite possible that Eudial is still alive out there
somewhere ... might write a fanfic about it one of these days. Maybe
she can return, and team up with Jadeite. :)

>> On a lighter note:
>
>> You know you watch too much Cantonese Sailor Moon when ...
>
> Are you watching the Cantonese dub from Aiko(sp?) ? Do the senshi
>shouts out "Make up!" instead of "bin-sun! (Chinese)" during transformation?
>If so, this is the one I'm talking about. I've watched a little of this dub
>myself, but I think it is quite poorly done. The biggest problem is that it
>suffers from a lack of competant voice actors/actresses.

Yeah, I watch the Aiko one. Really? You didn't like the voices? It's
peculiar, but I actually like most of them better than the Japanese
ones (BIG exception - Mamoru/Darien/Wai ... who definitely needs some
nasal decongestant ...)

Y'know, I've always theorized that all these people who keep on
going on about how lousy English anime dub acting is compared to the
original Japanese is only because THEY DON'T SPEAK JAPANESE ... since
they're used to how people speak in English, they can spot when an
English voice is being overdramatic, wooden, or generally acting badly
... but not a Japanese voice.

I understand both English and Japanese, but NOT Cantonese ... and so
I can spot in both the English and Japanese versions of Sailor Moon if
a voice doesn't quite fit the dialogue, but not the Cantonese one. So
maybe that's why I have such an attachment to the Aiko dub, if it's
really so bad ... (that and the fact that I'm used to the voices.)

Anyway, from my point of view, I think the actresses in the Aiko dub
sound pretty darn good in most cases ... it's just that there aren't
enough of them. (Luna and Sailor Venus sound EXACTLY alike ... :)

> I'd recommend anyone who can watch Sailor Moon in Cantonese to get
>another Cantonese dub, dubbed by TVB, a HK local TV station. IMHO, it's a
>fairly good dub, which means it is quite accurate and has a fairly good cast
>for the voices (more on this below). But you have to get someone in HK to
>tape it for you, as it is not available commerically.

The main reason I've been watching the Aiko dub is because it's the
easiest way to get Sailor Moon around here. You can easily pick up the
Aiko LDs, or bootleg tapes made from them, in Chinatown of Toronto. I
really would like to see the "other" Cantonese dub, which I've heard
good things about, one of these days ...

>> - Even though you can't read or write something as simple as "hello"
>> or "book" in Chinese, you can effortlessly recognize and even
>> write down "Moon", "Rabbit", "Evil Spirits Begone", and "Beautiful
>> Young Female Warriors". (Okay, that's more a manga thing ...)
>
> A good way to learn Chinese, isn't it?

Well, it's a good way to learn Chinese CHARACTERS ... I've still got
no idea about the sentence structure or how they fit together, but I
CAN now understand large portions of the Chinese translated manga that
I own because of knowing the characters ... (like, I can recognize if
Chibi-Usa is yelling "HOTARU-CHAAAAN!" :)

>> I'll punish you!" (O hai yueh hun to, gen mon sen ka! Or at least
>> that's what it sounds like. :)
>
> I believe in the Cantonese dub, Usagi says the following:
> (Sorry for my confusing romanization)
>
> "Wo yiu tai yueh heng dao, gen o tsang kan!"
> which can be loosely translated to "I'll carry out the duties of the
>Moon, and punish the evil guys!"

Well, your confusing romanization is better than mine. That's
exactly the phrase I was trying to write above. :)

> This Cantonese phase is not an exact translation of the Japanese phase,
>but nonetheless quite imaginative in its own way. If you know Chinese,
>you'll know waht I mean. I prefer it to a literal translation.

Yeah, it's pretty good. And it has the extra bonus of fitting her
lips, unlike "on behalf of the moon ..."

When working on the Sailor Moon S fandubs, I had a hell of a time
getting "On behalf of the Moon, I'll punish you" to fit the lip
movements:

"On ... behaaaalf ... oofff ...theeee ... mooooon ..."

and then a really quick "Illpunishyou!" :)

Speaking of accuracy, can you comment about how faithful the Aiko
dub is to the original Japanese version? The English translation I'm
doing for the S series is based on the Aiko version.

>> Oh, and I was really disappointed when I went back to the Japanese
>> version (S movie) and saw the Japanese version of Uranus ... partly
>> because of how "ordinary" her voice sounded compared to the Chinese,
>> but mostly because she couldn't pronounce the word "Uranus"! :)
>
> Are you SURE? IMHO, few, if any, can do a better job than Ogata
>Megumi-san for casting Uranus' voice, which is magnetic and has a nice tint
>of sadness and loneliness. You make me want to watch the Aiko Cantonese S
>dub!

Maybe it was just a matter of having gotten used to her Cantonese
voice, since I'd watched more than half of the S series in the Aiko
version before I saw the S movie (the E. Monsoon butchery.)

I just really like Yu (Uranus)'s voice in Chinese, which has a
sort of a growly, hostile sound to it, but nonetheless also lends
itself really well to sounding depressed. Then again, it could just
be a matter of what I was talking about earlier ... that it just
appeals to me more because I don't understand Chinese. :)

Or then again, maybe it's just because she sounds so much better
when it comes to battle ... I never heard the Japanese Uranus let
out anything more than a guttural grunt when attacking, whereas in
Cantonese she does some pretty serious yelling. And, of course, it
is so much easier to sound strong and powerful when screaming
"HIIINDAAAYYY ... DON HYODAN!" than "Wodo Sheikingu" ...

> Speaking of voice acting, I can't resist talking about how I like the TVB
>Cantonese dub voices. The voices for the main characters are really good,
>some even better than the Japanese voices (IMHO, of course) !
>
> In summary,
>
> Cantonese Usagi <= Japanese Usagi
> (the Japanese one sounds more like an airhead, but the Cantonese one
>delivers the emotional lines better)

That's funny, I like the Aiko Yuet Yeah Toe for just the opposite
reason (she sounds MUCH sillier than the Japanese Usagi ... and I
love her insane machinegun giggle. :)

> Cantonese Rei >> Japanese Rei
> (IMHO, the Japanese Rei voice is too soft, the Cantonese one is perfect)

Rei's voice in the Aiko version is one thing I've never quite been
able to get used to ... it's so DEEP! Then again, Rei in Japanese is
played by one of my all time favourite voice actresses (Michie
Tomizawa, aka C-ko), so it's probably just personal prejudice. :)

> Cantonese Makoto < Japanese Makoto
> (the Cantonese one is a bit too soft)

Is she called "Jun Kum" in the TVB version too?

> Cantonese Mamoru <= Japanese Mamoru
> (Again the Japanese one wins by a small margin)

I can't STAND the voice they gave him in the Aiko version ...
although naming him Wai I approve of, just because it's so cute when
Toe comes running along and yells "Awaiiii!" :)

> Cantonese Chibi-usa > Japanese Chibi-usa
> (The best news is that you won't get diabetes from hearing the Cantonese
>voice, but it is still a cute voice)

The Aiko Chibi-Usa sounds older than Usagi. :) :) :)

BTW, can you tell me how you're actually supposed to write her
Cantonese name? I've been referring to her as "Dunsen Toe", but
something tells me that's not the right spelling.

The Aiko voices really do get better as it gets later into the
series ... the voices they gave Yu (Haruka) and Mon (Michiru)
suit them nicely. I can't stand the voice they gave Pluto, but
Yae (Hotaru)'s voice is GREAT.

The only thing that really bugs me about the Aiko dub is the
terrible lipsynching, which is sometimes so far off that the
wrong character's lips are moving when the line is delivered!

> Well, I think I'll add another YKYWTMCSMW (You Know You Watch Too Much
>Cantonese Sailor Moon When):
>
> You write a comparion of voice acting in a.f.sm between the Japanese
>version and a Cantonese dub which probably no one in the newsgroup know
>anything about.^_^;;

Well, I'm interested, even though I've never seen the TVB dub ...
I'd love to see an episode of that one of these days, especially the
S version, so I can compare it with the Aiko dub I'm used to.

>> Speaking of which, are there any Chinese speakers out there who can
>> please tell me what "Hindaii Don Hyodan", or whatever it is that
>> Uranus yells in Cantonese, means? I love the way it sounds, I
>> sometimes yell it when I'm feeling annoyed, but I'd love to know what
>> I'm actually saying. :)
>
> Sorry that I haven't watched the Cantonese S dub. I've thought REALLY
>hard about the Cantonese sounds you put down, but I really don't know what
>Cantonese words it translates to. Could the other Chinese who've watched
>this dub give me a hand here? I'm also interested in the Cantonese attack
>names.

I begin to wonder if it's absolute nonsense. When putting together
the translation of it, I watched the whole thing with my next-door
neighbour, who is from Hong Kong, and he was capable of translating
everything except the transformation phrases and the attack names.

Plus, keep in mind that I know NOTHING about the proper way to
romanize Cantonese words ... I'm listening to Uranus and Neptune's
attacks as I write this to make sure, and now it sounds like

(Spelled out phonetically in English sounds):

"Heen Day ... Don I Yo Dan!" (Uranus). BTW, it ends on a rising tone.
"San Hoy ... Soy Lae Bo!" (Neptune).

Speaking as someone who knows absolutely NO Cantonese (well, apart
from "Who's there?!" "Sorry" and "What?!", the three most common
words you seem to hear in Aiko SM :), I'd really love to find out
what it is they're saying.

> BTW, in HK they're showing Sailor Moon S beginning on 8th July. Are you
>guys interested in knowing how it turns out? If so, I think I may write a
>brief review. Also, I'll check what the Cantonese attack names are.

I'D like to know. It'll be interesting to compare what they do in
the TVB version of the S dub. BTW, in the TVB version, do they use
the "English" attack names from the Japanese version, or make up
their own Cantonese ones (like the Aiko dub does)?

Nice to know that there's someone else out there who's watching
the show in Chinese, even if it is a completely different dub. :)

| Mark S Sprague, aka the Evil Professor Chronos |
| Official head of R&D for the Negaverse |
| If you have a pure soul, kindly leave it in the drop box. |

Siu Kuen Chan

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In <79094....@inforamp.net> "The Evil Professor Chronos"

<crs...@inforamp.net> writes:

>Tsui Wai Man <wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk > wrote:
>
>>The Evil Professor Chronos (crs...@inforamp.net) wrote:
>
>>> Speaking of which, are there any Chinese speakers out there who
>>>can please tell me what "Hindaii Don Hyodan", or whatever it is
>>>that Uranus yells in Cantonese, means? I love the way it
>>>sounds, I sometimes yell it when I'm feeling annoyed, but I'd love
>>>to know what I'm actually saying. :)
>>
>> Sorry that I haven't watched the Cantonese S dub. I've thought
>>REALLY hard about the Cantonese sounds you put down, but I really
>>don't know what Cantonese words it translates to. Could the other
>>Chinese who've watched this dub give me a hand here? I'm also
interested in the Cantonese attack
>>names.
>
> I begin to wonder if it's absolute nonsense. When putting together
>the translation of it, I watched the whole thing with my next-door
>neighbour, who is from Hong Kong, and he was capable of translating
>everything except the transformation phrases and the attack names.
>
> Plus, keep in mind that I know NOTHING about the proper way to
>romanize Cantonese words ... I'm listening to Uranus and Neptune's
>attacks as I write this to make sure, and now it sounds like
>
> (Spelled out phonetically in English sounds):
>
> "Heen Day ... Don I Yo Dan!" (Uranus). BTW, it ends on a rising
tone.

Actually it's "Teen Day.....Yeew Don Da!" This Uranus attack
literally means "heaven"(teen), "earth"(day), "yeew don"(shaking),
"Da"(hit or punch)

> "San Hoy ... Soy Lae Bo!" (Neptune).

"San Hoy"(new sea.) "Soy Looy Baw"(Water thunder ball)

Uranus' transformation sequence in romanized Cantonese: "Teen wong
^^^^ ^^^^
sky king
sing sing gwong lik lewng"
^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
star starlight power or energy

Neptune's trans sequence in romanized Cantonese: "Hoy wong sing
^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^
sea king star
sing gwong lik lewng"
^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
starlight power or energy
I got the meanings from my mom, who was watching the Cantonese dub
with me. I asked her the parts I didn't understand.
Uranus' attack is excellent. I love her voice, it's deep but you
know it's feminine.

Amy Chan-chan: who's really glad to have a mom who knows Cantonese
because her own is terrible.

M.S. Chan

Jul 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/8/96

In article <79094....@inforamp.net>,

The Evil Professor Chronos <crs...@inforamp.net> wrote:
>Tsui Wai Man <wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk > wrote:
>
>> Are you watching the Cantonese dub from Aiko(sp?) ? Do the senshi
>>shouts out "Make up!" instead of "bin-sun! (Chinese)" during transformation?

In the earlier Aiko dubs, the VAs use a very distorted "Make Up!" that
actually sounds like "Been Sun" in some way. In the SM-S tea party
ceremoney episode (the one that shows NQS's letter with no Kanji) the
"Make Up!" is very clearly heard.

I believe TVB's version uses "Been Sun!"

>peculiar, but I actually like most of them better than the Japanese
>ones (BIG exception - Mamoru/Darien/Wai ... who definitely needs some
>nasal decongestant ...)

I was watching several SM-S episodes and I don't think Wai's voice is
that bad. I believe the VAs are changed going from SM Classic to SM-S
though. (Usagi/Toe is definitely changed.)

>> I'd recommend anyone who can watch Sailor Moon in Cantonese to get
>>another Cantonese dub, dubbed by TVB, a HK local TV station. IMHO, it's a
>>fairly good dub, which means it is quite accurate and has a fairly good cast

Funny - most of the people on the Taronga mailing list dislike the TVB
dub. I only watched one episode of the TVB dub (the 1st episode in a
store,) so I am not in a good position in evaluating the merits of the two.

>easiest way to get Sailor Moon around here. You can easily pick up the
>Aiko LDs, or bootleg tapes made from them, in Chinatown of Toronto. I

I bought several of those bootleg tapes ($7 each for each LD copy.) I
simply live too far to rent LDs and return it the next day, so those
tapes fit my needs.

>really would like to see the "other" Cantonese dub, which I've heard

Actually, you can get the TVB dub in Toronto. There is a place in Man
Wah Centre (Chinatown Centre) on 222 Spadina Road named Pop Culture [Kong
Chiu Lau] and they rent the TVB version of Sailor Moon.

>> I believe in the Cantonese dub, Usagi says the following:
>> (Sorry for my confusing romanization)
>>
>> "Wo yiu tai yueh heng dao, gen o tsang kan!"
>> which can be loosely translated to "I'll carry out the duties of the
>>Moon, and punish the evil guys!"
>
> Well, your confusing romanization is better than mine. That's
>exactly the phrase I was trying to write above. :)

It's more like:

Tie Yuet Heng Dao [Act for the moon] When SM's hand is vertical
Ging Ouk Ching Gan [Warn the bad, When SM's hand is hortizonal
punish the evils]

> Speaking of accuracy, can you comment about how faithful the Aiko
>dub is to the original Japanese version? The English translation I'm
>doing for the S series is based on the Aiko version.

It's almost exact. The one changed I noticed so far is that they
apparently changed the tea party host in the episode I mentioned above to
female. But this is rather strange since they still have her name being
"Yuk Sam Long," and "Long" is almost always indicate male in a Japanese
name. And of course, not to mention the reaction of Chibiusa/Dau Dang
Toe [I love this translation - Pea Nail Rabbit :-)] when she met "this
person."

> I just really like Yu (Uranus)'s voice in Chinese, which has a
>sort of a growly, hostile sound to it, but nonetheless also lends
>itself really well to sounding depressed. Then again, it could just

Her sound has a bit of male tone to it; kind of fits her character.

>"HIIINDAAAYYY ... DON HYODAN!" than "Wodo Sheikingu" ...

Her attack in Chinese is "Teen Day Yiu Don Dan!" (Roughly "Earth Sky
Shaking Bomb!")

> Is she called "Jun Kum" in the TVB version too?

I believe so.

> The Aiko Chibi-Usa sounds older than Usagi. :) :) :)

That's true - they should get someone with a younger voice to do Chibiusa.

> BTW, can you tell me how you're actually supposed to write her
>Cantonese name? I've been referring to her as "Dunsen Toe", but
>something tells me that's not the right spelling.

See above for her translation. ("Pea Nail" is a cute "slang" to refer to a
little one, such as a bother or sister.)

>series ... the voices they gave Yu (Haruka) and Mon (Michiru)
>suit them nicely. I can't stand the voice they gave Pluto, but
>Yae (Hotaru)'s voice is GREAT.

I haven't seen Pluto and Saturn yet on Aiko's dub, but I will soon
(perhaps in two weeks.)

> The only thing that really bugs me about the Aiko dub is the
>terrible lipsynching, which is sometimes so far off that the

I have a feeling that Aiko don't care so much about lipsynching; they
simply translate the dialog to Chinese.

> Well, I'm interested, even though I've never seen the TVB dub ...
>I'd love to see an episode of that one of these days, especially the
>S version, so I can compare it with the Aiko dub I'm used to.

I don't think TVB completed the entire SMS yet; I have seen some SMS in
Pop Culture, but definitely not the whole set.

>>> Speaking of which, are there any Chinese speakers out there who can
>>> please tell me what "Hindaii Don Hyodan", or whatever it is that

[...]

>>hard about the Cantonese sounds you put down, but I really don't know what
>>Cantonese words it translates to. Could the other Chinese who've watched
>>this dub give me a hand here? I'm also interested in the Cantonese attack

How about if I put one up on my Web site? It will be under
"http://www.sentex.net/~chanms". I'll do that once I get back from my
meeting.

sounds): > > "Heen Day ... Don I Yo Dan!" (Uranus). BTW, it ends on a
rising tone. > "San Hoy ... Soy Lae Bo!" (Neptune). > > Speaking as
someone who knows absolutely NO Cantonese (well, apart >from "Who's

Some of sound is a bit difficult to hear, and prouncation in some episodes
are better than others.

Neptune's attack is "Sum Hoi Sui Lui Ball!" (Deep Sea Torepdo Wave!)

what they do in >the TVB version of the S dub. BTW, in the TVB version,
do they use >the "English" attack names from the Japanese version, or make
up >their own Cantonese ones (like the Aiko dub does)? > > Nice to know

I believe they use use Cantonese ones.

Ming S. Chan u901...@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca
ming...@canrem.com
Engineers think that equations are approximation of reality.
Scientists think that reality is approximation of equations.
Mathematicians are unable to make the connection.

Kinyan Lui

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

>> Well, I think I'll add another YKYWTMCSMW (You Know You Watch Too Much
>>Cantonese Sailor Moon When):
>>
>> You write a comparion of voice acting in a.f.sm between the Japanese
>>version and a Cantonese dub which probably no one in the newsgroup know
>>anything about.^_^;;

Hey, I know what you are talking about and I am listening! ^_^

>>> Speaking of which, are there any Chinese speakers out there who can
>>> please tell me what "Hindaii Don Hyodan", or whatever it is that
>>> Uranus yells in Cantonese, means? I love the way it sounds, I
>>> sometimes yell it when I'm feeling annoyed, but I'd love to know what
>>> I'm actually saying. :)

I think in the first few S episodes she says:

"Tin(sky) Day(earth) Don(move) Yu(shake) Dan(bomb)"

But in the later episodes she switch the characters "Don" and "Yu" and
it becomes "Tin Day Yu Don Dan" which has the exactly meaning to the
first phase.

For Neptune, hers is:

"Sum(deep) Hoy(sea) Soy Lae(torpedo) Bo(ball)"

> Speaking as someone who knows absolutely NO Cantonese (well, apart
>from "Who's there?!" "Sorry" and "What?!", the three most common
>words you seem to hear in Aiko SM :), I'd really love to find out
>what it is they're saying.

There you go. Hope it helps!

>> BTW, in HK they're showing Sailor Moon S beginning on 8th July. Are you
>>guys interested in knowing how it turns out? If so, I think I may write a
>>brief review. Also, I'll check what the Cantonese attack names are.

Sure, I'm interested. :)

M.S. Chan

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <4rr9jv$6...@sjx-ixn4.ix.netcom.com>,

Siu Kuen Chan <sk...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> "Heen Day ... Don I Yo Dan!" (Uranus). BTW, it ends on a rising
>tone.
>

> Actually it's "Teen Day.....Yeew Don Da!" This Uranus attack
>literally means "heaven"(teen), "earth"(day), "yeew don"(shaking),
>"Da"(hit or punch)

^^^^^^^^^^^^

More like "Dan" as in bomb. In episode 92, Aiko or the VA for Uranus
screwed up the translation and said "Don Yew" instead of "Yew Don".

> "San Hoy"(new sea.) "Soy Looy Baw"(Water thunder ball)

^^^ ^^^

The first word should be "Sum" [deep.] I am not a 100% sure on this,
but my impression of "Ball" has more of a meaning of wave (as in ocean
waves; such as "Ball Long", "Ball Toe Hung Yung.") rather than a round
object. (But then again, the thing she shoots out resembles a "ball"
[actually like a Saturn planet.])

>Amy Chan-chan: who's really glad to have a mom who knows Cantonese
>because her own is terrible.

Tsui Wai Man

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

.

The Evil Professor Chronos (crs...@inforamp.net) wrote:
> Tsui Wai Man <wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk > wrote:

> >The Evil Professor Chronos (crs...@inforamp.net) wrote:
> >

> I have similar delusions about Eudial surviving ... I mean, going
> over a cliff in a car shouldn't present much of a problem to someone
> who can TELEPORT, right?! (I theorized that Kaolinite survived the
> Tokyo Tower incident for this reason, and turned out to be right ...
> so I figure it's quite possible that Eudial is still alive out there
> somewhere ... might write a fanfic about it one of these days. Maybe
> she can return, and team up with Jadeite. :)

My memory must be failing, since I don't remember Eudial having the
ability to teleport. Didn't she always reach the victims-of-the-episode and
then escape later in her cool Death Busters van? If she could teleport, then
in the Holy Grail episode, why did she race against Sailor Moon to fetch the
Grail, and lose it (what a shame, to lose a race against SM) ? Why didn't
she just teleport to the grail?

Speaking of which, I suspect that the Witches 5 are actually human
beings, except for Viluy of course. You know, they usually rely on science
and technology to achieve their ends and all their attacks can be explained
by science, somehow. Yes, I think that Tellu's plant attacks are not magical.

> Yeah, I watch the Aiko one. Really? You didn't like the voices? It's

> peculiar, but I actually like most of them better than the Japanese
> ones (BIG exception - Mamoru/Darien/Wai ... who definitely needs some
> nasal decongestant ...)

As I have said, the Aiko dub suffers from a lack of voice
actors/actresses. Most VAs, taken individually, are not bad at all, and are
actually competant in their jobs. It is just that Aiko didn't want to
spend money and fetch enough good VAs. They assigned the VAs to inappropriate
roles, so you get all those terrible voices. Also, when doing commercial
dubs, it seems that the VAs are less motivated to do a good job, probably
becasuse they're just doing them for extra income, as opposed to their
primary jobs in the TV stations.

For example, in the Aiko dub, Mamoru's voice is quite terrible, but his
VA is actually quite good in other roles. In the TVB dub, he is the VA of
the guy who hangs around in Rei's temple, and does a fairly good job.

Actually, as a rule of thumb, in HK a commercial dub (e.g. Aiko) is
almost always inferior to a dub done by a local TV station. What can you
expect from a company which thinks that anime is for kids and the kids don't
care about the dub quality?

> Y'know, I've always theorized that all these people who keep on
> going on about how lousy English anime dub acting is compared to the
> original Japanese is only because THEY DON'T SPEAK JAPANESE ... since
> they're used to how people speak in English, they can spot when an
> English voice is being overdramatic, wooden, or generally acting badly
> ... but not a Japanese voice.

> I understand both English and Japanese, but NOT Cantonese ... and so
> I can spot in both the English and Japanese versions of Sailor Moon if
> a voice doesn't quite fit the dialogue, but not the Cantonese one. So
> maybe that's why I have such an attachment to the Aiko dub, if it's
> really so bad ... (that and the fact that I'm used to the voices.)

Perhaps your theory is right. I understand Cantonese, so I am more aware
of the subtle qualities in Cantonese dub voices. My Japanese is quite bad,
on the other hand.

> Anyway, from my point of view, I think the actresses in the Aiko dub
> sound pretty darn good in most cases ... it's just that there aren't
> enough of them. (Luna and Sailor Venus sound EXACTLY alike ... :)

Exactly what I'm complaining about.

> The main reason I've been watching the Aiko dub is because it's the

> easiest way to get Sailor Moon around here. You can easily pick up the
> Aiko LDs, or bootleg tapes made from them, in Chinatown of Toronto. I

> really would like to see the "other" Cantonese dub, which I've heard

> good things about, one of these days ...

> > A good way to learn Chinese, isn't it?

> Well, it's a good way to learn Chinese CHARACTERS ... I've still got
> no idea about the sentence structure or how they fit together, but I
> CAN now understand large portions of the Chinese translated manga that
> I own because of knowing the characters ... (like, I can recognize if
> Chibi-Usa is yelling "HOTARU-CHAAAAN!" :)

IMHO, the modern SPOKEN Chinese language is quite easy to learn, even by
a westerner. I've compared Chinese, English, and Japanese, and am amazed at
the incredibly small amout of grammatical structures in modern Chinese. Even
in Japanese, which've been heavily influenced by Chinese, there are
substantial grammatical structures to express matters such as tenses. But in
Chinese, in most cases the meaning of a sentence is determined entirely
by the semantical meanings of the constituent characters, and there doesn't
seem to be too many explicit grammatical elements.

BTW, just out of curiosity, is it really so hard to get hold of
Japanese manga in the US? I wonder why a guy who understands Japanese has to
read Chinese SM manga.

> Speaking of accuracy, can you comment about how faithful the Aiko
> dub is to the original Japanese version? The English translation I'm
> doing for the S series is based on the Aiko version.

I've watched only a few epidodes of the Aiko dub, so probably I am not
the right person to be asked for comments. But from what I've seen, the
translation seems to be quite accurate. The most unbearable aspect is just
the dub voices.

> Maybe it was just a matter of having gotten used to her Cantonese
> voice, since I'd watched more than half of the S series in the Aiko
> version before I saw the S movie (the E. Monsoon butchery.)

Well, in the S movie, the outer senshi actually don't do much. They are
there just to kill some weak Snow Dancers. Perhaps your opinion will change
if you watch the Japanese S TV series, especially the episodes in which
Haruka's and Michiru's heart crystals are taken.

> I just really like Yu (Uranus)'s voice in Chinese, which has a
> sort of a growly, hostile sound to it, but nonetheless also lends
> itself really well to sounding depressed. Then again, it could just

> be a matter of what I was talking about earlier ... that it just
> appeals to me more because I don't understand Chinese. :)

After watching the TVB S dub yesterday, I begin to suspect both the Aiko
dub and the TVB dub got the same VA for Uranus, as the voice of Uranus in
the latter seems to match your description. Could you please describe in
more detail the Uranus voice? How old does it sound like? Does it sound like
a deep feminine voice or a soft musculine one? Better yet, could you
somehow record the dub voices of the outer senshi and post them here (if no
one objects to this)? I know this is an outrageous request, so you can just
ignore me.

Ah, my curiosity is just going out of control! ^_^;;

BTW, will I get flamed if I post the TVB dub voices here?

> Or then again, maybe it's just because she sounds so much better
> when it comes to battle ... I never heard the Japanese Uranus let
> out anything more than a guttural grunt when attacking, whereas in
> Cantonese she does some pretty serious yelling. And, of course, it
> is so much easier to sound strong and powerful when screaming

> "HIIINDAAAYYY ... DON HYODAN!" than "Wodo Sheikingu" ...

Yes, I agree that when it comes to attack names, Chinese almost always
sounds better than English.

> That's funny, I like the Aiko Yuet Yeah Toe for just the opposite

> reaan the Japanese Usagi ... and I

> love her insane machinegun giggle. :)

It's also interesting to note that the TVB dub has two VAs for Usagi.
Back in the original series, her VA sounds so SILLY that it's hilarious to
hear her say, "Aaaaa...I'm gonna be late again!" in Cantonese. But the down
side is that I can't help laughing in the more serious scenes too.

The current VA has a better balance of handling both sides of Usagi.

> Rei's voice in the Aiko version is one thing I've never quite been
> able to get used to ... it's so DEEP! Then again, Rei in Japanese is
> played by one of my all time favourite voice actresses (Michie
> Tomizawa, aka C-ko), so it's probably just personal prejudice. :)

I also like Tomizawa-san's voice too, but I think she doesn't convey
the fiery aspect of Rei well enough. The TVB dub voice just has that extra
bite in it. When she gets angry, you can really get the impression that
seems to say, "Don't cross me, or I'll skin you alive!".

> > Cantonese Makoto < Japanese Makoto
> > (the Cantonese one is a bit too soft)

> Is she called "Jun Kum" in the TVB version too?

Yes. "Jun" (Ma-) for truth and "Kum" (-koto) as in a musical instrument.

I believe in HK, the Chinese names of the sailor senshi have been
standardized.

> > Cantonese Mamoru <= Japanese Mamoru
> > (Again the Japanese one wins by a small margin)

> I can't STAND the voice they gave him in the Aiko version ...
> although naming him Wai I approve of, just because it's so cute when
> Toe comes running along and yells "Awaiiii!" :)

I like TVB dub voice for Mamoru. He may lack the mature quality of the
Japanese one, but he sounds more like someone who'd tease Usagi at the
beginning of the series.

> > Cantonese Chibi-usa > Japanese Chibi-usa
> > (The best news is that you won't get diabetes from hearing the Cantonese
> >voice, but it is still a cute voice)

> The Aiko Chibi-Usa sounds older than Usagi. :) :) :)

^_^;; (lucky that I haven't heard her voice)

> BTW, can you tell me how you're actually supposed to write her
> Cantonese name? I've been referring to her as "Dunsen Toe", but
> something tells me that's not the right spelling.

Although I heard that there are Chinese translation of "Chibi-Usa", I
think that the most popular translation is "Dao Dan Toe". "Dao Dan" is a
Cantonese colloquial which means "small kid", "Toe" is well, you know,
usagi. I think it's the closest translation one can ever get. I LOVE it,
it's SO kawaii! :)

> The Aiko voices really do get better as it gets later into the

> series ... the voices they gave Yu (Haruka) and Mon (Michiru)
> suit them nicely. I can't stand the voice they gave Pluto, but
> Yae (Hotaru)'s voice is GREAT.

I didn't sleep well last night as I was trying to imagine what their
dub voices sound like. Another YKYWTMCSMW. :)

> "Heen Day ... Don I Yo Dan!" (Uranus). BTW, it ends on a rising tone.

> "San Hoy ... Soy Lae Bo!" (Neptune).

Some helpful Chinese in this newsgroup have translated their attack
names.

> > BTW, in HK they're showing Sailor Moon S beginning on 8th July. Are you
> >guys interested in knowing how it turns out? If so, I think I may write a
> >brief review. Also, I'll check what the Cantonese attack names are.

I've watched the 1st episode of it. So far it seems to be quite decent.
The biggest drawback is that instead of showing an OP that changes with the
storyline, they just show the final version of the OP i.e. the one that
shows a sad Hotaru. It spoils some of the fun.

The following is a brief review of the voice cast so far:

For Michiru, instead of using a deep, mature voice as in the Japanese
version, they use a soft voice which still manages to sound graceful and
elegant. Seems to be a good alternative.

For Haruka, she has a deep feminine voice which sounds much older than
the Japanese one. The funny thing is, it does match your descriptions of the
Aiko dub voice, but I'll need some time to adjust to.

Caolinite's dub voice doesn't sound as voluptuous as in the original,
but I think it's still fairly good.

The biggest surprise is the dub voice of Prof. Tomoe, which sounds
nothing like the original one (which I LOVE). They give him an old and
distorted voice. Imagine what Penguin in Batman sounds like in Cantonese and
you get the picture. Also, his manical laugh can't be compared to the
Japanese one.

BTW, what does the professor sound like in the Aiko dub?

> I'D like to know. It'll be interesting to compare what they do in

> the TVB version of the S dub. BTW, in the TVB version, do they use
> the "English" attack names from the Japanese version, or make up
> their own Cantonese ones (like the Aiko dub does)?

In Cantonese. The only things they say in English include the sailor
senshi's names e.g. Sailor Moon, Sailor Pluto, "Black Moon", "Black Lady",
"Small Lady". After all, the main audience of SM in HK is kids, who can
understand little English.

--
--------------------
Wai-Man from HK

Tsui Wai Man

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

.

M.S. Chan (u901...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA) wrote:
> In article <79094....@inforamp.net>,
> The Evil Professor Chronos <crs...@inforamp.net> wrote:
> >Tsui Wai Man <wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk > wrote:
> >
> >> Are you watching the Cantonese dub from Aiko(sp?) ? Do the senshi
> >>shouts out "Make up!" instead of "bin-sun! (Chinese)" during transformation?

> >peculiar, but I actually like most of them better than the Japanese
> >ones (BIG exception - Mamoru/Darien/Wai ... who definitely needs some
> >nasal decongestant ...)

> I was watching several SM-S episodes and I don't think Wai's voice is
> that bad. I believe the VAs are changed going from SM Classic to SM-S
> though. (Usagi/Toe is definitely changed.)

I haven't watched the Aiko S dub, but in the dub of the original series,
Wai's dub voice definitely doesn't match his character, and he can't deliver
the more serious lines convincingly.

> >> I'd recommend anyone who can watch Sailor Moon in Cantonese to get
> >>another Cantonese dub, dubbed by TVB, a HK local TV station. IMHO, it's a
> >>fairly good dub, which means it is quite accurate and has a fairly good cast

> Funny - most of the people on the Taronga mailing list dislike the TVB
> dub. I only watched one episode of the TVB dub (the 1st episode in a
> store,) so I am not in a good position in evaluating the merits of the two.

Have you watched the TVB R dub? I admit that when TVB dubbed the original
series, the overall result is barely satisfactory. They have messed up some
of the dialogues and some dub voices are quite bad. But they've improved
greatly over the time! In the R dub, they chose appropriate VAs for the
characters, and the translation is quite accurate. It successfully conveys
the feelings of the Japanese version, and in several occasions (like the
final fight against Wiseman), I was almost moved to tears! Definitely one of
the best Cantonese dubs I've seen in recent years.

Of course, from what you've said, the Aiko dub may also have improved
when they get to dub the S series, but I need to watch some of it in order
to be convinced that it is better than the TVB dub.
(Man, the Aiko dub of the original series is just so terrible!)

> >really would like to see the "other" Cantonese dub, which I've heard

> Actually, you can get the TVB dub in Toronto. There is a place in Man
> Wah Centre (Chinatown Centre) on 222 Spadina Road named Pop Culture [Kong
> Chiu Lau] and they rent the TVB version of Sailor Moon.

> Tie Yuet Heng Dao [Act for the moon] When SM's hand is vertical

> Ging Ouk Ching Gan [Warn the bad, When SM's hand is hortizonal
> punish the evils]

So you know how to translate! I think the tricky part is the translation
for "heng dao". It seems that translating it to "act for ..." would lose
some of its favour, but I think your translation is very close.

> > Speaking of accuracy, can you comment about how faithful the Aiko
> >dub is to the original Japanese version? The English translation I'm
> >doing for the S series is based on the Aiko version.

> It's almost exact. The one changed I noticed so far is that they
> apparently changed the tea party host in the episode I mentioned above to
> female. But this is rather strange since they still have her name being
> "Yuk Sam Long," and "Long" is almost always indicate male in a Japanese
> name. And of course, not to mention the reaction of Chibiusa/Dau Dang
> Toe [I love this translation - Pea Nail Rabbit :-)] when she met "this
> person."

So do I. It really get across the ideas of the nickname "Chibi-Usa", and

it's SO kawaii! :)

I think the TVB dub is also very accurate by the time it gets to dub the S
series. In the 1st episode, I think the only discrepancy I've found is when
Minako says the wrong idiom (again :) ), they changed some dialogues so that
the Chinese can get the idea what they're talking about. And it works! I was
rolling on the floor when I watched this part!

> > I just really like Yu (Uranus)'s voice in Chinese, which has a
> >sort of a growly, hostile sound to it, but nonetheless also lends
> >itself really well to sounding depressed. Then again, it could just

> Her sound has a bit of male tone to it; kind of fits her character.

So, do you like her dub voice?

> > BTW, can you tell me how you're actually supposed to write her
> >Cantonese name? I've been referring to her as "Dunsen Toe", but
> >something tells me that's not the right spelling.

> See above for her translation. ("Pea Nail" is a cute "slang" to refer to a
> little one, such as a bother or sister.)

Not necessarily "cute", depending on who says this to who. It can be
quite insulting to call someone "Dao Dang".

> > The only thing that really bugs me about the Aiko dub is the
> >terrible lipsynching, which is sometimes so far off that the

> I have a feeling that Aiko don't care so much about lipsynching; they
> simply translate the dialog to Chinese.

The VAs don't care as much to do correct lipsynching in commercial dubs
as in TV dubs, since they are probably just doing this for extra income.

> I don't think TVB completed the entire SMS yet; I have seen some SMS in
> Pop Culture, but definitely not the whole set.

In HK, TVB is showing the S series right now, and from what I've seen so
far, they've done a fairly good job.

> Ming S. Chan u901...@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca
> ming...@canrem.com
> Engineers think that equations are approximation of reality.
> Scientists think that reality is approximation of equations.
> Mathematicians are unable to make the connection.

Tsui Wai Man

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

.

--
--------------------
Wai-Man from HK

The Evil Professor Chronos

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

Kinyan Lui <kin...@cris.com> wrote:

>I think in the first few S episodes she says:
>
>"Tin(sky) Day(earth) Don(move) Yu(shake) Dan(bomb)"
>
>But in the later episodes she switch the characters "Don" and "Yu" and
>it becomes "Tin Day Yu Don Dan" which has the exactly meaning to the
>first phase.

A thousand thanks to you and to everyone else who explained this.
(And it also explains why I was so confused as to what it was she
was yelling ... that the arrangement of the words actually moved
around!)

The Evil Professor Chronos

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96
to wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk

Tsui Wai Man <wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk > wrote:

>> >The Evil Professor Chronos (crs...@inforamp.net) wrote:

>> I have similar delusions about Eudial surviving ... I mean, going
>> over a cliff in a car shouldn't present much of a problem to someone
>> who can TELEPORT, right?!
>

> My memory must be failing, since I don't remember Eudial having the
>ability to teleport. Didn't she always reach the victims-of-the-episode and
>then escape later in her cool Death Busters van?

In Episode #17, the one which reveals the origin of Uranus and
Neptune, Eudial definitely teleports out after they show up. I
think I've seen her do it a couple of other times, too.

She did usually prefer to get away in the van. I think she only
teleported that time because the van wasn't close at hand.

MIMET couldn't teleport (I actually made use of this fact in an
FSC story), as was demonstrated by the fact that she had to run
off on foot after being beaten. :)

> Speaking of which, I suspect that the Witches 5 are actually human
>beings, except for Viluy of course. You know, they usually rely on science
>and technology to achieve their ends and all their attacks can be explained
>by science, somehow. Yes, I think that Tellu's plant attacks are not magical.

Well, they are the WITCHES five, after all, so it would be a bit
silly to say they had no magical capabilities whatsoever ... but I
am in agreement with you that they are humans and not vacationing
from another dimension, at least in the anime version.

(The manga version, where they appear to be summoned from some
kind of magical fountain by Kaolinite, and transform into hideous
medusa-like things after taking a certain amount of damage, is a
little different. :)

I had Tellu pegged as being genetically engineered. Magical or
not, normal human beings don't launch vines from their arms.

Mimet and Eudial, though, were definitely humans, albeit ones
with magical powers. Eudial in particular always seemed to rely on
technology to get her work done. I loved her wide assortment of
do-it-yourself firearms. :)

> As I have said, the Aiko dub suffers from a lack of voice
>actors/actresses. Most VAs, taken individually, are not bad at all, and
>are actually competant in their jobs. It is just that Aiko didn't want to
>spend money and fetch enough good VAs. They assigned the VAs to
>inappropriate roles, so you get all those terrible voices.

I've never actually been really appaled by an Aiko voice except for
Wai's (who sounds far too nasal and annoying to be a romantic lead.)
Although the fact that Dau Dan Toe's voice sounds extremely mature
compared to Toe's is a bit disconcerting ... I wish they'd switched
her voice with Sailor Pluto's, that would have been perfect. (Because
Pluto has a rather whiny, high-pitched voice, and Dau Dan Toe has a
soft, sweet, older-sounding voice.)

> Perhaps your theory is right. I understand Cantonese, so I am more aware
>of the subtle qualities in Cantonese dub voices. My Japanese is quite bad,
>on the other hand.

Well, take it from me, the actresses in the original Japanese Sailor
Moon are quite often hamming it up something awful. (But this is
traditional in anime ...)

> BTW, just out of curiosity, is it really so hard to get hold of
>Japanese manga in the US? I wonder why a guy who understands Japanese has to
>read Chinese SM manga.

Because Chinese SM manga is readily available for about $8 for a big
collected volume in Chinatown, whereas Japanese manga has always been
very difficult to find.

(Recently, however, local comics stores have begun to cash in on the
popularity of Sailor Moon around here by importing the manga collected
volumes from Japan. But these are very early ones - parts 1 through 4,
mostly. Kind of a letdown, since I've already got 8 through 14 in
Cantonese ... although it is nice to be able to understand what the
characters are saying. :)

>> Maybe it was just a matter of having gotten used to her Cantonese
>> voice, since I'd watched more than half of the S series in the Aiko
>> version before I saw the S movie (the E. Monsoon butchery.)
>
> Well, in the S movie, the outer senshi actually don't do much. They are
>there just to kill some weak Snow Dancers. Perhaps your opinion will change
>if you watch the Japanese S TV series, especially the episodes in which
>Haruka's and Michiru's heart crystals are taken.

That episode was very moving in Cantonese, as well ... especially
the beginning of the second part, when Uranus was talking to Sailor
Moon. Yet another dimension to her voice became apparent.

I'm sure the Japanese version must be impressive also, but they'd
have to be pretty damn good to better the Cantonese one ...

Of course, the English Uranus is going to be great too. :)

>somehow record the dub voices of the outer senshi and post them here (if no
>one objects to this)? I know this is an outrageous request, so you can just
>ignore me.
>
> Ah, my curiosity is just going out of control! ^_^;;
> BTW, will I get flamed if I post the TVB dub voices here?

Will you get flamed? You'll get nuked.

People tend to get extremely annoyed if you post large binaries in
this newsgroup (I found out the hard way, when I posted a clip of the
English Uranus. :) If you want to trade digitized sound clips, it's
better to do it in private E-mail.

>> Cantonese she does some pretty serious yelling. And, of course, it
>> is so much easier to sound strong and powerful when screaming
>> "HIIINDAAAYYY ... DON HYODAN!" than "Wodo Sheikingu" ...
>
> Yes, I agree that when it comes to attack names, Chinese almost always
>sounds better than English.

I wouldn't go that far. Whatever Sailor Mercury yells in Cantonese
doesn't sound as good as "Shining Aqua Illusion" in the original
Japanese version, and certainly is no match for "Mercury Ice Storm
BLAST!" in the English dub.

Some lines work better in English, some in Japanese-English, and
some in Cantonese, I guess ...

> It's also interesting to note that the TVB dub has two VAs for Usagi.
>Back in the original series, her VA sounds so SILLY that it's hilarious to
>hear her say, "Aaaaa...I'm gonna be late again!" in Cantonese. But the down
>side is that I can't help laughing in the more serious scenes too.

I suspect they switched the voice actress for the Aiko dub somewhere
in the middle, since she sounds a lot older and less cute when S
begins. She doesn't say "aiyaa" so much anymore, either. :(

> I didn't sleep well last night as I was trying to imagine what their
>dub voices sound like. Another YKYWTMCSMW. :)

Heh ... well, if you like, you can E-Mail me. I'll put together
some .WAV files from the Aiko version of Uranus, Neptune, Pluto &
Saturn, UUencode them and E-mail them to you, and you can compare
them to the TVB ones.

>The biggest drawback is that instead of showing an OP that changes with the
>storyline, they just show the final version of the OP i.e. the one that
>shows a sad Hotaru. It spoils some of the fun.

The Aiko video release does the same thing. It also uses "Tuxedo
Mirage" for the ending theme throughout the thing, whereas some
synopses claim that the ending theme is still "Lady's Policy" for
the first few episodes.

> For Haruka, she has a deep feminine voice which sounds much older than
>the Japanese one. The funny thing is, it does match your descriptions of the
>Aiko dub voice, but I'll need some time to adjust to.

Interesting ... we'll have to trade .WAV files and see if it is
indeed the same voice actress.

> The biggest surprise is the dub voice of Prof. Tomoe, which sounds
>nothing like the original one (which I LOVE). They give him an old and
>distorted voice. Imagine what Penguin in Batman sounds like in Cantonese and
>you get the picture. Also, his manical laugh can't be compared to the
>Japanese one.
>
> BTW, what does the professor sound like in the Aiko dub?

I've no idea what the Penguin sounds like in Cantonese, but it
sounds as though they might be using most of the same voice cast as
the Aiko version ... that's a weird thing I noticed. In the early
episodes, the Professor has a deep voice that sounds normal (except
a certain amount of echo since he's in the basement), but in the
most recent two volumes, it gains this bizarre distorted quality
that sounds as though he's talking over a fuzzy telephone!

So perhaps the same company is now doing both dubs, and has just
acquired some new equipment (higher budget due to being on TV now)
and is using it in the video releases for the new episodes? Maybe
not, but why else would the Professor go from sounding normal to
suddenly sounding like one of his daemons?

I've never heard the original Professor, incidentally ... only
the Aiko version, so I can't compare the two. (Although I will say
that I like his English voice better than the Cantonese one ... but
of course I'm a little biased there. :)

> In Cantonese. The only things they say in English include the sailor
>senshi's names e.g. Sailor Moon, Sailor Pluto, "Black Moon", "Black Lady",
>"Small Lady". After all, the main audience of SM in HK is kids, who can
>understand little English.

Yes, that's the same as the Aiko version, then ... they say the
names of the Sailor Scouts in English (and for the most part they
pronounce them much more accurately than the Japanese version ...
"Sailor Uranus" is pronounced correctly, for one thing, instead of
"Yurunnus" like they say in the Japanese one.)

The Evil Professor Chronos

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

M.S. Chan <u901...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA > wrote:

>In the earlier Aiko dubs, the VAs use a very distorted "Make Up!" that
>actually sounds like "Been Sun" in some way. In the SM-S tea party
>ceremoney episode (the one that shows NQS's letter with no Kanji) the
>"Make Up!" is very clearly heard.

I did notice in very early episodes of the Aiko dub (episode
six (?), the one with the Chanels, was the first one I saw), the
"Make Up" was very distorted ... more like "May Uh!" :)

>I was watching several SM-S episodes and I don't think Wai's voice is
>that bad. I believe the VAs are changed going from SM Classic to SM-S
>though. (Usagi/Toe is definitely changed.)

Disappointment there. I liked the original Yuet Yeah Toe much
better, with her "Aiyaa!". The new voice is a bit older sounding,
although I'll admit she can still whine with the best of 'em. :)
And I have sort of grown to like her voice after 20+ episodes of
watching her ...

>Actually, you can get the TVB dub in Toronto. There is a place in Man
>Wah Centre (Chinatown Centre) on 222 Spadina Road named Pop Culture [Kong
>Chiu Lau] and they rent the TVB version of Sailor Moon.

Thanks! That's pretty close to where I go to get the Aiko dubs.

Don't think I'll be any real hurry to do that, though ... I probably
won't be able to tell the difference between the two dubs, and I've
already got two thirds of S in the Aiko version ... :)

>It's more like:
>

>Tie Yuet Heng Dao [Act for the moon] When SM's hand is vertical
>Ging Ouk Ching Gan [Warn the bad, When SM's hand is hortizonal
> punish the evils]

The second bit sounds absolutely nothing like the way it's written.
Boy, Chinese romanization is confusing! :)

>> Speaking of accuracy, can you comment about how faithful the Aiko
>>dub is to the original Japanese version? The English translation I'm
>>doing for the S series is based on the Aiko version.

>It's almost exact. The one changed I noticed so far is that they

>apparently changed the tea party host in the episode I mentioned above to
>female. But this is rather strange since they still have her name being
>"Yuk Sam Long," and "Long" is almost always indicate male in a Japanese
>name.

Now THAT is bizarre. Did they ever explicitly state that "she" was a
woman, or was it just the voice? (If you're just going by the voice,
then Saphyr is a woman in the Chinese version too. :) :) :)

I mean, okay, the person did look a lot like a girl, but paying
attention to the story ought to clearly demonstrate otherwise ... um,
unless Dau Dan Toe is a lesbian as well ... (I've seen H dojinshi
that suggest this, but had no idea it was true. :)

>And of course, not to mention the reaction of Chibiusa/Dau Dang
>Toe [I love this translation - Pea Nail Rabbit :-)] when she met "this
>person."

Thanks for clearing that up - I've been wondering what her name
meant. I had figured out that "Toe" was rabbit, but had no idea what
the first part of it was ... I knew that it ought to mean "small", but
a Cantonese friend told me that "little rabbit" would be "toe jay",
which her name definitely isn't.

"Pea Nail", huh?

Boy, she was lucky that the translators didn't call her "Sailor
Dau Dang Moon" when in Sailor mode ... :)

>>"HIIINDAAAYYY ... DON HYODAN!" than "Wodo Sheikingu" ...
>

>Her attack in Chinese is "Teen Day Yiu Don Dan!" (Roughly "Earth Sky
>Shaking Bomb!")

Right. (When I wrote that, I was trying to transcribe the sounds
she was yelling in the first available tape I had handy with her
in it ... episode 3 of S, in which apparently the "Yiu" and the
"Don" were inverted.)

>> The Aiko Chibi-Usa sounds older than Usagi. :) :) :)
>

>That's true - they should get someone with a younger voice to do Chibiusa.

I wish they'd just switch her voice actress with whoever does
Pluto ... :P Sailor Pluto in the Aiko dub bugs me. (Although it
could just be because she's so totally incompetent when it comes
to her magical phrases ... she SHOUTS the "Dead Scream" equivalent,
and her "Make Up" yell is so drawn out that she's still shouting
halfway through the transformation sequence. :P)

>See above for her translation. ("Pea Nail" is a cute "slang" to refer to a
>little one, such as a bother or sister.)

From what I've heard discussed about it now, it seems to be very
similar to "Chibi" ... I can see why they chose it. (It seems to
mean "runt", more or less ... it can be cute or very insulting,
depending on how you use it.)

Thanks a lot for the info!

M.S. Chan

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

In article <4rt919$683@eng_ser1.erg.cuhk.hk>,

Tsui Wai Man <wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk> wrote:

> I believe in HK, the Chinese names of the sailor senshi have been
>standardized.

There is one difference so far: Michiru is called "Teen Wong Mun" in Aiko
and "Teen Wong Mei Gee Lau" in the Chinese-translated mangas by Comics
World [Teen Har].

>> although naming him Wai I approve of, just because it's so cute when
>> Toe comes running along and yells "Awaiiii!" :)
>
> I like TVB dub voice for Mamoru. He may lack the mature quality of the
>Japanese one, but he sounds more like someone who'd tease Usagi at the
>beginning of the series.

Talking about teasing, Usagi/Toe's insulting nickname is "Mean Bao Tao,"
which means bread head, and that goes for all three translations (TVB,
Aiko and Teen Har.] According to the FAQ the Japanese phrase is roughly
dumpling head (I don't know Japanese myself.) I wonder why they don't use
"Har Gao Tao" instead, unless of course odango is really a type of bread.

> BTW, what does the professor sound like in the Aiko dub?

Professor's voice sounds fairly young in Aiko's dub. In my opinion, it
doesn't sound evil enough.

M.S. Chan

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

In article <4rtbjr$683@eng_ser1.erg.cuhk.hk>,

Tsui Wai Man <wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk> wrote:

> I haven't watched the Aiko S dub, but in the dub of the original series,
>Wai's dub voice definitely doesn't match his character, and he can't deliver
>the more serious lines convincingly.

You can get a sample of Wai's voice from Aiko SM-S dub at the www site
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~cpoon. I only a few episodes of the Aiko SM
Classic, and none of those episodes are Wai-oriented episodes, so I
can't really comment on his voice.

> Have you watched the TVB R dub? I admit that when TVB dubbed the original

I maybe next week. I will be commuting to Toronto for the next two
weeks, so I can rent the dubs from Pop Culture.

>of the dialogues and some dub voices are quite bad. But they've improved
>greatly over the time! In the R dub, they chose appropriate VAs for the
>characters, and the translation is quite accurate. It successfully conveys

Well, that's great to hear. I hope that they can keep up the good
work for the remaining SM-S and future SM-SS and SM-SSt episodes.

>> Actually, you can get the TVB dub in Toronto. There is a place in Man
>> Wah Centre (Chinatown Centre) on 222 Spadina Road named Pop Culture [Kong

I forgot to add: there are many Pop Culture branches around the Toronto
area, and most of them should carry the TVB dub. There is one up at
Times Squares on Hwy. 7 in Richmond Hill.

>> > I just really like Yu (Uranus)'s voice in Chinese, which has a

>> Her sound has a bit of male tone to it; kind of fits her character.
> So, do you like her dub voice?

I like her voice for the Aiko SM-S dub. I have not heard from her voice
in the TVB version yet.

> Not necessarily "cute", depending on who says this to who. It can be
>quite insulting to call someone "Dao Dang".

I always refer to my cousin as "Dao Dang." But of course, being a CBC
she wouldn't know exactly what "Dao Dang" means anyway. :-)

> In HK, TVB is showing the S series right now, and from what I've seen so
>far, they've done a fairly good job.

I heard from someone that TVB was showing SM-S around the winter time.
It seemed then that they stopped airing it midway and restarted it
again. I wonder why.

Tsui Wai Man

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

The Evil Professor Chronos (crs...@inforamp.net) wrote:
> M.S. Chan <u901...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA > wrote:

[deleted for space]

> >It's almost exact. The one changed I noticed so far is that they
> >apparently changed the tea party host in the episode I mentioned above to
> >female. But this is rather strange since they still have her name being
> >"Yuk Sam Long," and "Long" is almost always indicate male in a Japanese
> >name.

> Now THAT is bizarre. Did they ever explicitly state that "she" was a
> woman, or was it just the voice? (If you're just going by the voice,
> then Saphyr is a woman in the Chinese version too. :) :) :)

NANI? Now that really sucks! Did they run out of male VA?

> I mean, okay, the person did look a lot like a girl, but paying
> attention to the story ought to clearly demonstrate otherwise ... um,
> unless Dau Dan Toe is a lesbian as well ... (I've seen H dojinshi
> that suggest this, but had no idea it was true. :)

In the Japanese version, they use a cute FEMALE voice for that person
(but not as cute as Chibiusa :) ). I personally think that the person is a
SHE. Chibiusa was just admiring her greatly, and probably thought of her
in the same way as Makoto thought of Haruka in that controversial episode.
My theory is that Yuk Sam Long (forgot what her Japanese name is) apparently
grew up in a very traditional Japanese family, and has been brought up by
her parents as a boy although she is actually a girl. Maybe this sounds
weird, but there are precedents in anime. For example, Ukyou in Ranma 1/2.

> Boy, she was lucky that the translators didn't call her "Sailor
> Dau Dang Moon" when in Sailor mode ... :)

But it would have been really funny! (laughing on the floor for 3
minutes)

> >See above for her translation. ("Pea Nail" is a cute "slang" to refer to a
> >little one, such as a bother or sister.)

> From what I've heard discussed about it now, it seems to be very
> similar to "Chibi" ... I can see why they chose it. (It seems to
> mean "runt", more or less ... it can be cute or very insulting,
> depending on how you use it.)

Unless you're very close to the person you're calling "Dau Dang", you'd
insult him/her in a big way!!

--
--------------------
Wai-Man from HK

Tsui Wai Man

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

M.S. Chan (u901...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA) wrote:
> In article <4rt919$683@eng_ser1.erg.cuhk.hk>,

> Tsui Wai Man <wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk> wrote:
> >
> > I believe in HK, the Chinese names of the sailor senshi have been
> >standardized.

> There is one difference so far: Michiru is called "Teen Wong Mun" in Aiko

> and "Teen Wong Mei Gee Lau" in the Chinese-translated mangas by Comics
> World [Teen Har].

I heard that translating the name "Michiru" to "Mun" was done by the
Taiwan guys, but IMHO "Mun", meaning "full", is such an ugly and
inappropriate name for a graceful lady as Michiru. On the other hand, I love
the name "Mei(beauty) Chi(intelligence) Lau", as it fits the person so well.
Also, it sounds much better.

> Talking about teasing, Usagi/Toe's insulting nickname is "Mean Bao Tao,"
> which means bread head, and that goes for all three translations (TVB,
> Aiko and Teen Har.] According to the FAQ the Japanese phrase is roughly
> dumpling head (I don't know Japanese myself.) I wonder why they don't use
> "Har Gao Tao" instead, unless of course odango is really a type of bread.

Perhaps because "Mean Bao Tao" is a common teasing phase in Cantonese, so
the audience will have little trouble understanding it? "Har Gao Tao", on
the other hand, would sound really weird to Cantonese ears. Also, "odango"
is actually rice ball or rice dumpling, not Chinese shrimp dumpling, so "Har
Gao Tao" is an incorrect translation too.

Maybe "Fan Tun Tao"? ^_^;;

> > BTW, what does the professor sound like in the Aiko dub?

> Professor's voice sounds fairly young in Aiko's dub. In my opinion, it

> doesn't sound evil enough.

> Ming S. Chan u901...@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca
> ming...@canrem.com
> Engineers think that equations are approximation of reality.
> Scientists think that reality is approximation of equations.
> Mathematicians are unable to make the connection.

--
--------------------
Wai-Man from HK

M.S. Chan

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

In article <93201....@inforamp.net>,

The Evil Professor Chronos <crs...@inforamp.net> wrote:

>>Actually, you can get the TVB dub in Toronto. There is a place in Man
>>Wah Centre (Chinatown Centre) on 222 Spadina Road named Pop Culture [Kong
>
> Thanks! That's pretty close to where I go to get the Aiko dubs.

Do you rent the laser disks or do you buy the not-so-legal copies of the
tapes?

> Don't think I'll be any real hurry to do that, though ... I probably
>won't be able to tell the difference between the two dubs, and I've
>already got two thirds of S in the Aiko version ... :)

Aiko dubs are easier to obtain here in Canada (plenty of places that
rent the LDs and just as many that sell not-so-legal copies of them.)

> The second bit sounds absolutely nothing like the way it's written.
>Boy, Chinese romanization is confusing! :)

It is a bit confusing; I often have to think hard or even refer to
friend to see what is the phonemic translation of a word. I saw a
phonemic translation dictionary at someone's place, and I am seeking
one in bookstores ever since. So far I haven't been able to find one.

>>apparently changed the tea party host in the episode I mentioned above to
>>female. But this is rather strange since they still have her name being
>>"Yuk Sam Long," and "Long" is almost always indicate male in a Japanese
>

> Now THAT is bizarre. Did they ever explicitly state that "she" was a
>woman, or was it just the voice? (If you're just going by the voice,

Haruka/Yiu explictly refers to the tea host as a "Miss." (Yuk Sam Long
Siu Jeh.) But as you say, it doesn't quite make sense; even Wai asks Dau
Dang Toe later at the outdoor cafe whether she likes Yuk Sam Long.

>a Cantonese friend told me that "little rabbit" would be "toe jay",
>which her name definitely isn't.

There are so many ways to describe something small in Cantonese. "Jay"
would be one of them, but it's rather plain and somehow reminds you of
the animal itself rather than a person. "Dau Dang" is a bit slangish but
you tend to use that phrase to a person.

In the Comics World (Teen Har) mangas, she is simply called "Siu Toe."

>in it ... episode 3 of S, in which apparently the "Yiu" and the
>"Don" were inverted.)

Eps. 92 has the two words reversed, but that seems to be the only exception.

Wesley Fudala

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

Hey, anyone heard the Chinese OP music. I have a mid and it sounds
really good. Does anyone have the mp2?

sira...@xnet.com

Tsui Wai Man

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

M.S. Chan (u901...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA) wrote:
> In article <93201....@inforamp.net>,
> The Evil Professor Chronos <crs...@inforamp.net> wrote:
> >
> >>apparently changed the tea party host in the episode I mentioned above to
> >>female. But this is rather strange since they still have her name being
> >>"Yuk Sam Long," and "Long" is almost always indicate male in a Japanese
> >
> > Now THAT is bizarre. Did they ever explicitly state that "she" was a
> >woman, or was it just the voice? (If you're just going by the voice,

> Haruka/Yiu explictly refers to the tea host as a "Miss." (Yuk Sam Long

> Siu Jeh.) But as you say, it doesn't quite make sense; even Wai asks Dau
> Dang Toe later at the outdoor cafe whether she likes Yuk Sam Long.

As I've said in another post, I still think the tea host is a girl. If
you still remember the beginning of that episode, Chibiusa set out to find a
true FRIEND, not a boyfriend. I think Wai's asking her whether she liked the
tea host actually means whether Chibiusa would like to have "Yuk Sam Long"
as her friend. If you thinks along this path, then all things would make
sense.

> >a Cantonese friend told me that "little rabbit" would be "toe jay",
> >which her name definitely isn't.

> There are so many ways to describe something small in Cantonese. "Jay"

> would be one of them, but it's rather plain and somehow reminds you of
> the animal itself rather than a person. "Dau Dang" is a bit slangish but
> you tend to use that phrase to a person.

That reminds me...The people from the Black Moon actually call Chibiusa
"Toe Jay" in the TVB dub, which sounds like she is a prey to them, while the
good guys always call her "Dau Dang Toe".

I haven't watched the Japanese Black Moon episodes, do anyone know how
do the Black Moon guys refer to Chibiusa? Do they call her "chibiusa" or
"chibi usagi"?

> In the Comics World (Teen Har) mangas, she is simply called "Siu Toe."

> Ming S. Chan u901...@muss.cis.mcmaster.ca
> ming...@canrem.com
> Engineers think that equations are approximation of reality.
> Scientists think that reality is approximation of equations.
> Mathematicians are unable to make the connection.

--
--------------------
Wai-Man from HK

Siu Kuen Chan

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

In <4s28eo$go6@eng_ser1.erg.cuhk.hk> wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk (Tsui Wai Man)
writes:

>M.S. Chan (u901...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA) wrote:
>
> I haven't watched the Japanese Black Moon episodes, do anyone know
how
>do the Black Moon guys refer to Chibiusa? Do they call her "chibiusa"
or
>"chibi usagi"?

The Black Moon Family in the Aiko Cantonese dub call her "Rabbit,"
in ENGLISH.

Amy Chan-chan

Tsui Wai Man

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

M.S. Chan (u901...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA) wrote:
> In article <4rtbjr$683@eng_ser1.erg.cuhk.hk>,

> Tsui Wai Man <wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk> wrote:
> >

> You can get a sample of Wai's voice from Aiko SM-S dub at the www site
> http://www.ucalgary.ca/~cpoon. I only a few episodes of the Aiko SM
> Classic, and none of those episodes are Wai-oriented episodes, so I
> can't really comment on his voice.

Are you sure this is the right site? I checked it and couldn't find any
sound files from the Cantonese dub.

> Well, that's great to hear. I hope that they can keep up the good
> work for the remaining SM-S and future SM-SS and SM-SSt episodes.

Personally I've some serious doubts as to TVB dubbing SMS*. There is a
HUGE female cast in SMS*, and I wonder if they'll have enough female VAs to
do the dubbing. I think it won't turn out good.

> I heard from someone that TVB was showing SM-S around the winter time.
> It seemed then that they stopped airing it midway and restarted it
> again. I wonder why.

I think this is probably a rumor. TVB showed SMR in September last year,
and this is the first time they show SMS in HK.

Tsui Wai Man

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

In English? Now that is really weird. I wonder what the translators at Aiko
were thinking about.

> Amy Chan-chan

M.S. Chan

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

In article <4s1t8n$l...@flood.xnet.com>,

Wesley Fudala <sira...@flood.xnet.com> wrote:
>Hey, anyone heard the Chinese OP music. I have a mid and it sounds
>really good. Does anyone have the mp2?

I have the Vivian SM song in WAV format; Clement Poon placed it on his
Web site as a one-time special near Christmas. The file is no longer
available on his Web site, but I still have it on my hard drive.

Ming

Tsui Wai Man

Jul 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/12/96

The Evil Professor Chronos (crs...@inforamp.net) wrote:

> Well, they are the WITCHES five, after all, so it would be a bit
> silly to say they had no magical capabilities whatsoever ... but I
> am in agreement with you that they are humans and not vacationing
> from another dimension, at least in the anime version.

> (The manga version, where they appear to be summoned from some
> kind of magical fountain by Kaolinite, and transform into hideous
> medusa-like things after taking a certain amount of damage, is a
> little different. :)

Did Viluy, Tellu, Cyprine and Puchirol get better characterization in the
manga? I was a bit annoyed at the way they got rid of them in 3 episodes,
not giving them real personalities. I'd rather they took out Kaolinite and
had the Witches 5 as the professor's only assistants.

Maybe because of my frustration, I've always wanted to write a fanfic
about the Witches. What if they were actually former lab. assistants to the
prof. before they turned evil? I think it may turn out to be quite
interesting.

Of course, I'll be happy if the FSC writers can write an episode about
them, especially about Eudial.(looking towards the direction of Dr. Chronos)

> >> Maybe it was just a matter of having gotten used to her Cantonese
> >> voice, since I'd watched more than half of the S series in the Aiko
> >> version before I saw the S movie (the E. Monsoon butchery.)

Well, I agree that first impression has a strong influence on one's
preference, at least for me. I watched SMS in Japanese first, so now when
I'm watching the TVB S dub, I think there is something wrong with the voices
of the outer senshi which I can't tell.

> > Well, in the S movie, the outer senshi actually don't do much. They are
> >there just to kill some weak Snow Dancers. Perhaps your opinion will change
> >if you watch the Japanese S TV series, especially the episodes in which
> >Haruka's and Michiru's heart crystals are taken.

> That episode was very moving in Cantonese, as well ... especially
> the beginning of the second part, when Uranus was talking to Sailor
> Moon. Yet another dimension to her voice became apparent.

> I'm sure the Japanese version must be impressive also, but they'd
> have to be pretty damn good to better the Cantonese one ...

Trust me, it's very moving indeed.

> Of course, the English Uranus is going to be great too. :)

An English Uranus? I thought Sailor Moon was not going to be continued in
NA from what I've heard?

> >> Cantonese she does some pretty serious yelling. And, of course, it
> >> is so much easier to sound strong and powerful when screaming
> >> "HIIINDAAAYYY ... DON HYODAN!" than "Wodo Sheikingu" ...
> >
> > Yes, I agree that when it comes to attack names, Chinese almost always
> >sounds better than English.

> I wouldn't go that far. Whatever Sailor Mercury yells in Cantonese
> doesn't sound as good as "Shining Aqua Illusion" in the original
> Japanese version, and certainly is no match for "Mercury Ice Storm
> BLAST!" in the English dub.

Oops. Sorry, I must have expressed myself very unclearly. What I meant
was, the Chinese attack names sound much better than the messed up English
attack names invented by the Japanese (especially when they are pronounced by
the Japanese seiyuu :)) I haven't watched any NA SM, so I'm not qualified to
judge the NA English ones.

> Some lines work better in English, some in Japanese-English, and
> some in Cantonese, I guess ...

Well, personally I don't like the JE attack lines much, their bad
pronounciation turned me off, I think.

> Heh ... well, if you like, you can E-Mail me. I'll put together
> some .WAV files from the Aiko version of Uranus, Neptune, Pluto &
> Saturn, UUencode them and E-mail them to you, and you can compare
> them to the TVB ones.

A thousand thanks to you. I really would like to what they sound like in
the Aiko dub.

> The Aiko video release does the same thing. It also uses "Tuxedo
> Mirage" for the ending theme throughout the thing, whereas some
> synopses claim that the ending theme is still "Lady's Policy" for
> the first few episodes.

Yes, I can confirm this. In the first two S episodes, before Haruka
showed up, they used the R ED.

> > For Haruka, she has a deep feminine voice which sounds much older than
> >the Japanese one. The funny thing is, it does match your descriptions of the
> >Aiko dub voice, but I'll need some time to adjust to.

> Interesting ... we'll have to trade .WAV files and see if it is
> indeed the same voice actress.

I think I can record Haruka's dub voice and e-mail it to you. But could
you tell me what's the best way to record sounds from a video tapes when
I've only got a Soundblaster card?

> > BTW, what does the professor sound like in the Aiko dub?

> I've never heard the original Professor, incidentally ... only
> the Aiko version, so I can't compare the two. (Although I will say
> that I like his English voice better than the Cantonese one ... but
> of course I'm a little biased there. :)

I really like the original Professor. When he is not covered in shadows,
he sounds like a calm gentleman. You'd wonder how a person as gentle as him
can let out such a manical laughter. Definitely one of the best male Manical
Laughter(tm) I have heard.

IMO, the original dub voices of Professor Tomoe, Haruka and Hotaru-chan
are the three gems in the Japanese version.

--
--------------------
Wai-Man from HK

The Evil Professor Chronos

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk (Tsui Wai Man) wrote:

> [...]

[Witches Five]

>> (The manga version, where they appear to be summoned from some
>> kind of magical fountain by Kaolinite, and transform into hideous
>> medusa-like things after taking a certain amount of damage, is a
>> little different. :)

> Did Viluy, Tellu, Cyprine and Puchirol get better characterization in the
>manga? I was a bit annoyed at the way they got rid of them in 3 episodes,
>not giving them real personalities. I'd rather they took out Kaolinite and
>had the Witches 5 as the professor's only assistants.

Quite the opposite, in fact. The manga gave the Witches Five MUCH
less of a major role than the anime did. The anime version stretched
out Eudial and Mimet's parts considerably, and then suddenly sped up
incredibly when it came to Tellu.

In the manga, the Witches 5 are little more than monsters-of-the-
week. Basically, Kaolinite calls up a Witch, who gets to perform ONE
scheme, and gets killed at the end of the episode.

(Eudial did something involving brainwashing the people at a high
school, Mimet became an idol singer ... Tellu's episode was almost
identical to the anime version.)

The Professor seems to have a much smaller role in the manga than
he did in the anime, too ... and the daemons are very different!

> Maybe because of my frustration, I've always wanted to write a fanfic
>about the Witches. What if they were actually former lab. assistants to the
>prof. before they turned evil? I think it may turn out to be quite
>interesting.

> Of course, I'll be happy if the FSC writers can write an episode about
>them, especially about Eudial.(looking towards the direction of Dr. Chronos)

It is an interesting possibility ... I did kind of hint at that in
the last episode of the FSC, where Chronos gave his new lab assistant
a mineral nickname because her name was too hard for him to remember.
Who knows, that could be how the Witches 5 got started.

"Wanted: Lab assistants for insane genius. Flexible hours, good pay
and benefits, excellent insurance plan. Knowledge of biology and
chemistry a plus. Transportation provided ..."

You're right, there may be some possibilities for a story there. :)

| Mark S Sprague, aka the Evil Professor Chronos |
| Official head of R&D for the Negaverse |

| If you have a pure soul, kindly leave it in the drop box. |

The Evil Professor Chronos

Jul 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/15/96

wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk (Tsui Wai Man) wrote:

>Siu Kuen Chan (sk...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

>> The Black Moon Family in the Aiko Cantonese dub call her "Rabbit,"
>> in ENGLISH.

> In English? Now that is really weird. I wonder what the translators at
>Aiko were thinking about.

Well, the Japanese version had them call her the "Rabbit" in English
too, so I suppose it just made sense for them to carry it over that
way ... although I like the idea of referring to her as the animal in
the other dub. Pretty clever.

Strangely enough, the English version also has the Black Moon people
refer to her as "The Rabbit", which is ridiculous, because her name in
English doesn't mean "rabbit" anymore ... ("Reni").

| Mark S Sprague, aka the Evil Professor Chronos |
| Official head of R&D for the Negaverse |

| If you have a pure soul, kindly leave it in the drop box. |

Jackie Chiang

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

In article <4scbfr$a...@news.inforamp.net>, crs...@inforamp.net says...

>[Witches Five]

>>> (The manga version, where they appear to be summoned from some
>>> kind of magical fountain by Kaolinite, and transform into hideous
>>> medusa-like things after taking a certain amount of damage, is a
>>> little different. :)
>
>> Did Viluy, Tellu, Cyprine and Puchirol get better characterization
in the
>>manga? I was a bit annoyed at the way they got rid of them in 3
episodes,
>>not giving them real personalities. I'd rather they took out Kaolinite
and
>>had the Witches 5 as the professor's only assistants.
>
> Quite the opposite, in fact. The manga gave the Witches Five MUCH
>less of a major role than the anime did. The anime version stretched
>out Eudial and Mimet's parts considerably, and then suddenly sped up
>incredibly when it came to Tellu.

Many of the villians in the manga are like that. Granted, the Four
Generals remained for a while and the Amazon Quartet had loooong
lives(since they transformed), but the Four Sisters(whatever their
official names are) and the Witches 5 lived for one act each (as major
players).

> In the manga, the Witches 5 are little more than monsters-of-the-
>week. Basically, Kaolinite calls up a Witch, who gets to perform ONE
>scheme, and gets killed at the end of the episode.
>
> (Eudial did something involving brainwashing the people at a high
>school, Mimet became an idol singer ... Tellu's episode was almost
>identical to the anime version.)
>
> The Professor seems to have a much smaller role in the manga than
>he did in the anime, too ... and the daemons are very different!

Yah, he went kapoot (died) in the manga in S but lived up through Sailor
STars in the anime.

>> Maybe because of my frustration, I've always wanted to write a
fanfic
>>about the Witches. What if they were actually former lab. assistants to
the
>>prof. before they turned evil? I think it may turn out to be quite
>>interesting.
>
>> Of course, I'll be happy if the FSC writers can write an episode
about
>>them, especially about Eudial.(looking towards the direction of Dr.
Chronos)

> It is an interesting possibility ... I did kind of hint at that in
>the last episode of the FSC, where Chronos gave his new lab assistant
>a mineral nickname because her name was too hard for him to remember.
>Who knows, that could be how the Witches 5 got started.
>
> "Wanted: Lab assistants for insane genius. Flexible hours, good pay
>and benefits, excellent insurance plan. Knowledge of biology and
>chemistry a plus. Transportation provided ..."
>
> You're right, there may be some possibilities for a story there. :)

Heh.

>+---------------------------------------------------------------+

>| Mark S Sprague, aka the Evil Professor Chronos |
>| Official head of R&D for the Negaverse |

>+---------------------------------------------------------------+

>| If you have a pure soul, kindly leave it in the drop box. |

>+---------------------------------------------------------------+

Jackie
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/3741/

Jackie Chiang

Jul 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/16/96

In article <4scbl6$a...@news.inforamp.net>, crs...@inforamp.net says...

>wmt...@cs.cuhk.hk (Tsui Wai Man) wrote:
>
>>Siu Kuen Chan (sk...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
>
>>> The Black Moon Family in the Aiko Cantonese dub call her
"Rabbit,"
>>> in ENGLISH.
>
>> In English? Now that is really weird. I wonder what the translators
at
>>Aiko were thinking about.
>
> Well, the Japanese version had them call her the "Rabbit" in English
>too, so I suppose it just made sense for them to carry it over that
>way ... although I like the idea of referring to her as the animal in
>the other dub. Pretty clever.
>
> Strangely enough, the English version also has the Black Moon people
>refer to her as "The Rabbit", which is ridiculous, because her name in
>English doesn't mean "rabbit" anymore ... ("Reni").

I was wondering if anyone who had no knowledge about SM other than DIC
would get the reference...They might have been confused, but I guess they
could connect Reeny's hair with Rabbit...

>+---------------------------------------------------------------+

>| Mark S Sprague, aka the Evil Professor Chronos |
>| Official head of R&D for the Negaverse |

>+---------------------------------------------------------------+

>| If you have a pure soul, kindly leave it in the drop box. |

>+---------------------------------------------------------------+

Jackie
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/3741/

Go see my web page even if it does take forever to load...Got info on the
Starlights, Uranus, season synopsises, pics pages, and a Neptune shrine.
No info on the Inner Senshi though, and Saturn and Pluto's pages only
have a pic on each.

mr.an...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2016, 7:48:21 AM7/12/16
I'm testing my luck here since I am posting this 10 years after your post. But I am desperately looking for the AIKO version of Sailor Moon. I can't seem to be able to find it anywhere anymore. I particularly want to watch Sailor Moon S. Do you know where I'll be able to purchase it?

Cheers

On Sunday, July 7, 1996 at 5:00:00 PM UTC+10, The Evil Professor Chronos wrote:
> [...]
> >guys interested in knowing how it turns out? If so, I think I may write a
> >brief review. Also, I'll check what the Cantonese attack names are.
>
> I'D like to know. It'll be interesting to compare what they do in
> the TVB version of the S dub. BTW, in the TVB version, do they use
> the "English" attack names from the Japanese version, or make up
> their own Cantonese ones (like the Aiko dub does)?
>
> Nice to know that there's someone else out there who's watching
> the show in Chinese, even if it is a completely different dub. :)
>
> +----------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Mark S Sprague, aka the Evil Professor Chronos |
> | Official head of R&D for the Negaverse |
> | If you have a pure soul, kindly leave it in the drop box. |

jennif...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2018, 11:35:37 PM8/3/18
Were you able to find it? I'm emailing the distributor in charge of Aiko in a desperate attempt to look for it. I've been looking for over 10 years.

Setsuna Mudou

Dec 12, 2020, 12:31:25 AM12/12/20
Hey guys, I wasn't even looking for it but I stumbled across an archive!!!

https://nanopdf.com/download/ykywtmsmwbysailormoon9993_pdf

Hope that helps! :D