Trump Allies Are Pushing Him Away From Running Again In 2024 To Avoid A Disastrous Defeat, Report Says

Simon

Mar 12, 2022, 12:44:06 PM3/12/22
Trump allies are pushing him away from running again in 2024 to avoid a
disastrous defeat, report says

Trump aides are pushing him not to run again in 2024, The Atlantic
reported.
He has repeatedly indicated that he is considering another run for
office, spooking some allies.
They're focusing on the risk of his legacy being defined by defeat to
dissuade him, the report said.

Sign up for our weekday newsletter, packed with original analysis, news,
and trends — delivered right to your inbox.
Email address
By clicking ‘Sign up’, you agree to receive marketing emails from Insider
as well as other partner offers and accept our Terms of Service and
Privacy Policy.

President Trump's allies are pushing to dissuade him from running for
president again in 2024 and possibly being handed a second defeat, The
Atlantic reported.

Trump has repeatedly indicated that he could seek the Republican candidacy
in the next presidential election and has raised tens of millions of
dollars from supporters to fund his political future.

The Atlantic reported that one of Trump's former campaign advisors, who
spoke anonymously, said they planned to warn Trump that he could be known
as a serial political loser if he fails again.

The person is planning to use the example of Adlai Stevenson — who lost
two straight presidential elections in the 1950s — to dissuade him.

Newt Gingrich, the former House Speaker and a Trump ally, told The
Atlantic: "I don't think he wants to risk losing twice. Once, you can
argue about the outcome. Twice, it becomes a repudiation."

Trump's hatred of losing has been well documented across his career, and
others who know Trump well have echoed Gingrich's prediction.

Trump has refused to accept that he lost last year's election. Instead,
he's continued to push baseless claims of widespread election fraud.

John Bolton, his former national security advisor, said of his former boss
earlier this month: "I think he knows deep inside, although he will never
admit it, he did lose in 2020 and very much fears losing in 2024 because
if he hates anything in the world, he hates being called a loser."

Mary Trump, the former president's estranged niece, told Insider earlier
this year that she believed her uncle's political activity was a ruse to
keep raising money from his supporters.

"It's important to remember that Donald couldn't care less about politics.
He couldn't care less about this country. He couldn't care less about the
Republicans," she said in March.

"It's all about maintaining the grip on power," she continued. "He thinks
on some level it's going to allow him to continue to operate with impunity
as he has done his whole life, and also it's going to allow him to keep
grifting money off of people."

"I've said all along he has no intention to run for the presidency in
2024. He's going to pretend to," she said.

Simon

Mar 12, 2022, 7:51:33 PM3/12/22

Simon

Mar 13, 2022, 9:33:24 PM3/13/22