Book: Teddy Kennedy Plotted with Soviets to Oust Reagan

Ubiquitous

Feb 21, 2018, 1:45:03 PM2/21/18
A conservative author and political scientist alleges in a new book
that Senator Teddy Kennedy made an overture to the Soviet government
to assist in a campaign to smear President Ronald Reagan to derail
his 1984 re-election bid.

The antipathy that congressional Democrats have today
toward President George W. Bush is reminiscent of their
distrust of President Ronald Reagan during the Cold War,
a political science professor says. “We see some of the
same sentiments today, in that some Democrats see the
Republican president as being a threat and the true obstacle
to peace, instead of seeing our enemies as the true
danger,” said Paul Kengor, a political science professor
at Grove City College and the author of new book, The
Crusader: Ronald Reagan and the Fall of Communism.

In his book, which came out this week, Kengor focuses on
a KGB letter written at the height of the Cold War that
shows that Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) offered to assist
Soviet leaders in formulating a public relations strategy
to counter President Reagan’s foreign policy and to
complicate his re-election efforts. The letter, dated May
14, 1983, was sent from the head of the KGB to Yuri
Andropov, who was then General Secretary of the Soviet
Union’s Communist Party. In his letter, KGB head Viktor
Chebrikov offered Andropov his interpretation of Kennedy’s
offer. Former U.S. Sen. John Tunney (D-Calif.) had traveled
to Moscow on behalf of Kennedy to seek out a partnership
with Andropov and other Soviet officials, Kengor claims in
his book.

[…]

Specifically, Kennedy proposed that Andropov make a direct
appeal to the American people in a series of television
interviews that would be organized in August and September
of 1983, according to the letter. “Tunney told his contacts
that Kennedy was very troubled about the decline in U.S -
Soviet relations under Reagan,” Kengor said. “But Kennedy
attributed this decline to Reagan, not to the Soviets. In
one of the most striking parts of this letter, Kennedy is
said to be very impressed with Andropov and other Soviet
leaders.”

In Kennedy’s view, the main reason for the antagonism
between the United States and the Soviet Union in the 1980s
was Reagan’s unwillingness to yield on plans to deploy
middle-range nuclear missiles in Western Europe, the KGB
chief wrote in his letter. “Kennedy was afraid that Reagan
was leading the world into a nuclear war,” Kengor said.
“He hoped to counter Reagan’s polices, and by extension
hurt his re-election prospects.”

[…]

But Kennedy’s attempt to partner with high-level Soviet
officials never materialized. Andropov died after a brief
time in office and was succeeded by Mikhail Gorbachev.

Several rather important caveats apply here. First, we don’t know
the authenticity of the letter. Why the KGB would fake such a memo
and then not use it is unclear but it could certainly happen.
Second, Kengor is a rabid partisan. He’s the author of God and
Ronald Reagan, God and George W. Bush, and several other books
praising contemporary Republican presidents. He’s also the director
of The Center for Vision & Values which “embrace[s] the wisdom of
Western Civilization that biblical truth is the foundation of
freedom.” His scholarship is very much informed by his ideology.
Third, 1983 was hardly “the height of the Cold War.” Tensions had
certainly escalated during the last days of the Brezhnev regime and
the unstable period before Gorbachev took power but the prospects
for something akin to the Cuban Missile Crisis were remote.

That said, if this is indeed true, it is indeed, as Dan Riehl puts
it, “freaking outrageous.” One simply doesn’t collaborate with
foreign powers, let alone the enemy, to undermine the official
policies of one’s country. Michael van der Galien thinks it
“dangerously close to something called treason.” SeeDubya would like
to see Kennedy impeached if this is proven true. Since that’s
Constitutionally reserved for officers of the Executive and Judicial
branches, we’d have to settle for expulsion from the Senate pursuant
to a vote by at least 67 of his colleagues.

There’s reason to be skeptical, though, beyond the caveats above.
Ace (via someone called MS) has unearthed a 2004 NewsMax article
archived at Free Republic (again, obviously very biased fora)
alleging this and other collaborations between Kennedy and the
Soviets.

Teddy also will have unprecedented power in a Kerry White
House. Clearly, a serious examination of Uncle Ted’s views
needs to be conducted before Election Day.

NewsMax was deeply disturbed by an article written last
December by Herbert Romerstein for Human Events, the
conservative weekly. Romerstein, a former House intelligence
committee staffer and a researcher of Soviet archives,
uncovered numerous documents suggesting that Ted Kennedy
was a “collaborationist” with the Soviets during our Cold
War. Romerstein also co-authored, along with Eric Breindel,
the highly praised “Verona Secrets, Exposing Soviet
Espionage and America’s Traitors.”

According to Romerstein, a review of Soviet Communist Party
archives offers an unflattering view of Kennedy. Some of
the documents that have come to light since the collapse of
the Soviet Union in 1991 include claims that:

Sometime in 1978, Kennedy requested the KGB’s assistance to
set up a relationship between the Soviets and a firm owned
by former Sen. John Tunney, D-Calif. Again, on March 5,
1980, Tunney, acting as Kennedy’s liaison, met with KGB
agents in Moscow. During that meeting, Tunney articulated
Kennedy’s position that “nonsense about ‘the Soviet military
threat’ and Soviet ambitions for military expansion in the
Persian Gulf … was being fueled by [President Jimmy] Carter,
[National Security Advisor Zbigniew] Brzezinski, the
Pentagon and the military industrial complex.” Kennedy,
according to the documents, offered to speak out against
President Carter on Afghanistan.

Romerstein notes that soon after the meeting, several
public speeches subsequently were made by Kennedy
criticizing Carter on his handling of Afghanistan. This
particular document was found in KGB archives by a KGB
officer named Vasiliy Mitrokhin, who copied the records
and defected to the West.

Other reports regarding Kennedy’s affiliation with the
Communists also were divulged. According to information
provided by the KGB, Kennedy told Tunney to carry a message
to the general secretary of the Soviet Communist Party,
Yuri Andropov. Kennedy conveyed his concern over the anti-
Soviet activities of then-President Ronald Reagan.

I don’t recall them getting mainstream attention at the time.
Granted, as Ace implies in a separate post, the mainstream press
isn’t as eager to investigate scandals involving liberal politicians
as conservative ones. But the story was first reported in Human
Events, which is much more mainstream than Freep or NewsMax (hell, I
write for them occasionally) in December 2003. The conservative
blogosphere, Fox News, Rush Limbaugh, and others were in full swing
by then.

There has to be a reason that story never got any legs.

Harry Organ

Feb 21, 2018, 6:50:56 PM2/21/18
Ubiquitous wrote

> A conservative author and political scientist alleges in a new book
> that Senator Teddy Kennedy made an overture to the Soviet government
> to assist in a campaign to smear President Ronald Reagan to derail
> his 1984 re-election bid.

This vindicates Trump!!!

Republican activist and former presidential campaign chairman Jeffrey
Claude Bartleson was arrested on charges of sexually molesting a 5-year
old boy.

Republican congressional aide Jeffrey Nielsen was arrested for having sex
with a 14-year old boy.

Republican congressional aide Jeffrey Nielsen was arrested for having sex
with a 14-year old boy.

Republican Mayor Jeffrey Kyle Randall was sentenced to 275 days in jail
for molesting two boys -- ages ten and 12 -- during a six-year period.

Republican Party leader Bobby Stumbo was arrested for having sex with a
5-year old boy.

Republican Judge Ronald C. Kline pleaded guilty to possession of child
pornography on his home computer.

Republican congressman and anti-gay activist Robert Bauman was charged
with having sex with a 16-year-old boy he picked up at a gay bar.

Republican politician Andrew Buhr was charged with two counts of first
degree sodomy with a 13-year old boy.

Republican County Councilman Keola Childs pleaded guilty to molesting a
male child.

Republican Committeeman John R. Curtin was convicted of molesting an
underage teenage boy and sentenced to serve six to 18 months in prison.

Governor Swill

Feb 22, 2018, 2:38:27 AM2/22/18
On Tues, 20 Feb 2018 21:05:01 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

>A conservative author and political scientist alleges in a new book

And has no proof. Aren't you guys the ones always bitching about
"allegations" being used to destroy careers? So here you are, so
desperate to distract from the criminals in Trump's employ that you're
having to go back more than thirty years to talk shit about a dead
man.

Swill
--
"Democrats are the party that says government can
make you richer, smarter, taller, and get the chickweed

Harry Organ

Jan 21, 2019, 9:14:10 AM1/21/19
Ubiquitous wrote