A stormy time

Joshua Crawford

May 30, 2013, 3:26:29 AM5/30/13
Hi all,

Sorry I've been a way for a couple of weeks. Zowie left me, and I was a bit of a mess for a little while. We'd been together for 9 1/2 years. I had finished reading tGS that morning before the breakup, but obviously didn't feel like posting at the time.

It's a good book. But that's not surprising since these last few books have to finish up the series, and plot resolution is far better than books full of dress descriptions and sniffing.

Sanderson's style is different to RJ, as he mentioned in the preface, but that mostly didn't bother me. Except for Mat. I think Sanderson made him too much of a fool, particularly with that plan with the elaborate backstories. But hey, he's in love, so I suppose a little foolishness is in order.

Verin's revelation was not too surprising. We've known since tGH something was up with her. Though I'm a little disappointed it's *not* the purple ajah after all, an unwilling black is close enough. That was a convenient loophole in the black oath, though.

Egwene's in control of the whole Tower. Took long enough. So the Seanchan now have a bunch of damane who can't fight unless threatened, but some of them can Travel. It'll be interesting to see how they use them.

Rand used the True Power. WTF? He isn't in Moridin's body yet..

Looking forward to reading the last couple of books. I'm going up to Sydney next week, so I'll leave them until then.

--bruce

Cassie

May 30, 2013, 7:29:32 AM5/30/13
Sad to hear about your breakup. Keep it calm the next few days!

If you have not read the last two books you will soon notice that puzzle
pieces will fall into place very soon. You will also find out
that the story will go much faster then you are used to.

Enjoy!

Ilya the Recusant

Jun 9, 2013, 11:46:01 PM6/9/13
On Thu, 30 May 2013 00:26:29 -0700 (PDT), Joshua Crawford
<jgcra...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Sorry I've been a way for a couple of weeks. Zowie left me, and I was a bit of a mess for a little while. We'd been together for 9 1/2 years. I had finished reading tGS that morning before the breakup, but obviously didn't feel like posting at the time.

Gah! Sorry to hear that dude. That's all kinds of not excellent.
*hugs*

>It's a good book. But that's not surprising since these last few books have to finish up the series, and plot resolution is far better than books full of dress descriptions and sniffing.
>
>Sanderson's style is different to RJ, as he mentioned in the preface, but that mostly didn't bother me. Except for Mat. I think Sanderson made him too much of a fool, particularly with that plan with the elaborate backstories. But hey, he's in love, so I suppose a little foolishness is in order.
>
>Verin's revelation was not too surprising. We've known since tGH something was up with her. Though I'm a little disappointed it's *not* the purple ajah after all, an unwilling black is close enough. That was a convenient loophole in the black oath, though.
>
>Egwene's in control of the whole Tower. Took long enough. So the Seanchan now have a bunch of damane who can't fight unless threatened, but some of them can Travel. It'll be interesting to see how they use them.
>
>Rand used the True Power. WTF? He isn't in Moridin's body yet..
>
>Looking forward to reading the last couple of books. I'm going up to Sydney next week, so I'll leave them until then.

Still in Sydney? Am only just checking group msgs now. If you're still
in NSW, give me a holler.

>--bruce

Ilya the Recusant
-----------------
"Asshole" has a special place in my childhood, the point at which I
first learned that typical Americans were assholes.
- C&J

Joshua Crawford

Jun 29, 2013, 7:53:17 PM6/29/13
On Monday, 10 June 2013 13:46:01 UTC+10, Ilya Popov wrote:
> On Thu, 30 May 2013 00:26:29 -0700 (PDT), Joshua Crawford
> <jgcra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Looking forward to reading the last couple of books. I'm going up to Sydney next week, so I'll leave them until then.

Or a bit longer, as it turned out.

> Still in Sydney? Am only just checking group msgs now. If you're still
> in NSW, give me a holler.

I was. Too bad I didn't check the group while I was away. I'll email you next time I'm up there.

--bruce

Aaron

Jul 25, 2013, 9:55:52 AM7/25/13
On Thursday, May 30, 2013 3:26:29 AM UTC-4, Joshua Crawford wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Sorry I've been a way for a couple of weeks. Zowie left me, and I was a bit of a mess for a little while. We'd been together for 9 1/2 years. I had finished reading tGS that morning before the breakup, but obviously didn't feel like posting at the time.

Dude that totally sucks, even though I've never really known much about you personally. Sorry to hear that, Bruce.

> It's a good book. But that's not surprising since these last few books have to finish up the series, and plot resolution is far better than books full of dress descriptions and sniffing.

Indeed! I was happy about some of the turnabout in the last book re: one of the main sniffers, so I am smiling thinking about you getting to that bit.

> Sanderson's style is different to RJ, as he mentioned in the preface, but that mostly didn't bother me. Except for Mat. I think Sanderson made him too much of a fool, particularly with that plan with the elaborate backstories. But hey, he's in love, so I suppose a little foolishness is in order.

Hunh. I really didn't get that, although the very last book is most prominent in my mind, so perhaps my view of Sanderson's Mat is colored by that. I thought he was much more of a fool EARLY on in the series, as written by RJ himself....

> Verin's revelation was not too surprising. We've known since tGH something was up with her. Though I'm a little disappointed it's *not* the purple ajah after all, an unwilling black is close enough. That was a convenient loophole in the black oath, though.

I really liked the Verin bit. The best, or very nearly, of the theories out there. Arguably, same with Demandred. As much as this Taimandredius was displeased at the perceived trickery. Not to open that can of worms again again again.

Anyway, bottom line, I really enjoyed the turned sisters like Verin. Err, sister. Sorry. You've not met another turned sister. Or have you? Damnit just ignore that.

> Egwene's in control of the whole Tower. Took long enough. So the Seanchan now have a bunch of damane who can't fight unless threatened, but some of them can Travel. It'll be interesting to see how they use them.

Yeah don't get too excited about the philosophical impacts there....

> Rand used the True Power. WTF? He isn't in Moridin's body yet..

LOL the DO was always trying to woo him, right? Just think of this as one final offering, one last temptation.

> Looking forward to reading the last couple of books. I'm going up to Sydney next week, so I'll leave them until then.

They're awesome. As you alluded to above, there's a lot to look forward to in Sanderson's writing.

-Aaron