Belle Mann

kos

Sep 7, 2000, 1:16:40 PM9/7/00
I still haven't located any biographical material on Belle Mann, but
here's a list of the recordings from the Rigler/Deutsch Index:

She's One Sweet Show Girl.
With Ben Pollack and the Park Central Orch. Recorded Oct. 15, 1928.
VICTOR : 21743-A

Buy, Buy For Baby.
With Ben Pollack and the Park Central Orch.
VICTOR : 21743-B

I Want a Daddy to Cuddle Me.
With Nat Shilkret and the Victor orch. Recorded Dec. 13, 1928.
VICTOR : 21818-A

Because I Know You're Mine.
With Nat Shilkret and the Victor orch.
VICTOR : 21818-B

Wishing And Waiting For Love.
With Nat Shilkret and the Victor orch.
VICTOR : 22019-B

When We Get Together In The Moonlight (We Get Along Great)
With Nat Shilkret and the Victor orch. Recorded June 6, 1929
VICTOR : 22023 B

Daddy, Won't You Please Come Home.
With Leonard Joy and the High Hatters.
VICTOR : 22046-B.

Keepin' Myself For You.
With Leonard Joy and the High Hatters.
VICTOR : 22290-A

My Man Is On The Make.
With Nat Shilkret and the Victor orch.
VICTOR : 22185-B

I Want To Be Bad
With Nat Shilkret and the Victor orch.
VICTOR : 23-5881 (Spanish pressing -- couldn't find US pressing)

barna...@my-deja.com

Sep 7, 2000, 2:37:23 PM9/7/00
Interesting songs that Belle Mann recorded. Several of the songs were
the same ones that Annette Hanshaw recorded. They were also recorded
around the same time. Would be interesting to check to see who
recorded first. It would seem that at the time the recording industry
was going around with different singers and having each sing the same
song and try to mimic the other singer. You had the following singers
that I know of perhaps there are more:

Helen Kane
Bell Mann
Mae Questal (Betty Boop)
Annette Hansahw

They were all singing some of the same songs each trying to outdo the
other. However, Bell Mann seemed to be playing it rather straight
whereas Annette was obviously having a lot of fun with some of the
songs that she did. Again, it would be interesting for Rich to do some
comparisons with each of these singers.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

barna...@my-deja.com

Sep 7, 2000, 5:22:05 PM9/7/00
Good work on the research that you did on Belle Mann. Every time I get
frustrated in my research on Annette Hanshaw I can know remind myself
that there is indeed someone even more obscure than Annette. Also, if
you don't mind I think I will add your bit of research onto the Annette
Hanshaw website under the "I want to Be Bad" cut that Annette did. I
usually am comparing Annette to either Mae Questal or Helen Kane.
Leave it to Rich to add another log onto the fire!

In article <kt6frsgsf5lne0q75...@4ax.com>,

Steve

Sep 7, 2000, 10:47:19 PM9/7/00
On Thu, 07 Sep 2000 18:37:23 GMT, barna...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Interesting songs that Belle Mann recorded. Several of the songs were
>the same ones that Annette Hanshaw recorded. They were also recorded
>around the same time. Would be interesting to check to see who
>recorded first. It would seem that at the time the recording industry
>was going around with different singers and having each sing the same
>song and try to mimic the other singer. You had the following singers
>that I know of perhaps there are more:
>
>Helen Kane
>Bell Mann
>Mae Questal (Betty Boop)
>Annette Hansahw

And Elmira Roessler and "The Mystery Girl" whose name I forget
recorded some of these same songs, if you want obscure.......

:)

.. Steve ..

Amwesw

Sep 11, 2000, 5:39:43 AM9/11/00
According to Brian Rust's discographies, Belle Mann also recorded:

Irving Aaronson
I Must Have That Man Nov. 7, 1928 Rejected

I Must Have That Man Dec. 21, 1928
Rejected

Bernie Cummins and His Hotel New Yorker Orchestra
Cooking Breakfast For The One I Love Jan. 23, 1930 Vic. 22295

When a Woman Loves a Man Jan. 23, 1930 Vic. 22295

Victor Light Opera Company
Follow Through - Button Up Your Overcoat June 28, 1929 Vic. 35970

The Nat Shilkret disc, I Want To Be Bad, was released by Victor on 21859

Jazz Oracle has released the cd Ben Pollack, Volume 1. This contains Buy, Buy
For Baby takes 1 and 3
She's One Sweet Show Girl takes 1, 2 and 3

Steve

Sep 11, 2000, 8:26:15 PM9/11/00
On 11 Sep 2000 09:39:43 GMT, amw...@aol.com.edu.osu (Amwesw) wrote:

>According to Brian Rust's discographies, Belle Mann also recorded:
>
>Irving Aaronson
>I Must Have That Man Nov. 7, 1928 Rejected
>
>I Must Have That Man Dec. 21, 1928
>Rejected
>
>Bernie Cummins and His Hotel New Yorker Orchestra
>Cooking Breakfast For The One I Love Jan. 23, 1930 Vic. 22295
>
>When a Woman Loves a Man Jan. 23, 1930 Vic. 22295

>Victor Light Opera Company
>Follow Through - Button Up Your Overcoat June 28, 1929 Vic. 35970

I've got this one, if anyone wants me to post it (after finding
it!)

One can add Belle Mann to my list of obscure entertainers about
whom we all would reall like to lnow more. Top of the list? ..
Eleanor Thatcher, anything about this little fireball would be GREATLY
appreciated!

.. Steve ...

kos

Sep 12, 2000, 7:43:06 AM9/12/00
On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 20:26:15 -0400, Steve <jazzh...@collector.org>
wrote:

>>Victor Light Opera Company
>>Follow Through - Button Up Your Overcoat June 28, 1929 Vic. 35970
>
> I've got this one, if anyone wants me to post it (after finding it!)

Go for it, Steve!

> One can add Belle Mann to my list of obscure entertainers about
>whom we all would reall like to lnow more. Top of the list? ..
>Eleanor Thatcher, anything about this little fireball would be GREATLY
>appreciated!

Who's Eleanor Thatcher?

I got a real kick out of that Screen Song you posted with Reis and..
who's the other guy? Reis & Roni, or something? Did they make
recordings?

Bob

barna...@my-deja.com

Sep 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/13/00
Thanks for the information about that Ben Pollack album that is
available. Right in the middle of the song by Belle Mann my media
player happens to cut out and I missed half the song. So I want to get
that cut for comparison purposes. Also, am wondering since Rich has
been doing this show for so long, he must know that many people are
recording the shows and if he puts the best song at 45 minutes into the
show most cassette players are going to miss half the song! Judging
from his comments on his weight which I have determined run anywhere
from 200, 300 or 400 pounds I do believe he beyond a little chicanery!

Which leads me to my next point. Does anyone have a picture of Rich
and Mary that they can post so I know what Rich looks like?
In article <2stqrsklvbngjcd6n...@4ax.com>,

wyoming...@att.net

Apr 27, 2014, 3:43:20 AM4/27/14
Try Victor 21859 (USA Pressing)"I Want to Be Bad" with the Nat Shilkret Orchestra