Request: Dancing on the Moon (Mencher, Tobias)

kos

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
Hey Rich,

Over in the newsgroup that uploads old movies, someone named Steve the
Jazzhunter posted a little cartoon by the Fleischer brothers utilizing
the song "Dancing on the Moon" by Murray Mencher and Charles Tobias
(that's the name of the short as well).

I've become obsessed with the song!

After a hasty check, I could not locate a contemporaneous commercial
recording of this song (around 1935), but I figured there has to be
one.

I know I make a lot of requests, but if you can find a recording of
"Dancing on the Moon," could you play it on a future Big Broadcast?

Thanks!

Bob Kosovsky

"Dancing on the moon,
just you in my arms,
we will waltz around the stars,
Venus, Jupiter and Mars."

Michael Laprarie

Aug 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/9/00
Bob,

This particular cartoon is featured on a video compilation released several
years ago called "Cartoon Madness - The Fantastic Max Fleischer Cartoons"
released by Republic Pictures and hosted by Leonard Maltin.

By the way, it's one of my favorites on the tape. One of Fleischer's
pioneering efforts that mixed a really cute story line, a great song, live
background shots, and clever animation.

You really should post this request in the 78rpm-era newsgroup. Maybe Bob
Moke or someone else has a 78 of this song lying around somewhere...

Mike Laprarie

kos <nos...@nospam.net> wrote in message

kos

Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 23:56:20 GMT, "Michael Laprarie"
<lapr...@home.com> wrote:

>You really should post this request in the 78rpm-era newsgroup. Maybe Bob
>Moke or someone else has a 78 of this song lying around somewhere...

Thanks for the idea Mike, but I'll get better sound quality if Rich
broadcasts it. :)

Meanwhile, I've recorded the soundtrack of the above cartoon, and
edited out the non-"Dancing on the moon" material - so I'm left with a
lovely 5 minute track of people imitating tone-deaf animals singing
the lovely song. Even if there is a commercial recording, I'm sure it
won't have the counter chorus of "ba-da, ba-da ba" chiming in on the
refrain.

Maybe I'll post this little editing job to
alt.binaries.sounds.78rpm-era.

Thanks for the interest, Michael.

Bob

valer...@aol.com

Aug 5, 2015, 12:15:27 AM8/5/15
Hi, Bob! Have you ever posted your clipped version of this song? I'd love to hear it! :) Dan Newton has a version of this on YouTube.