Annette Hanshaw

Charles E. Martin

Jan 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/27/97

Greetings to all:

I am new to this NG, but a big fan of the BB. My question is are there any
CD compilations of Annette Hanshaw's music? I have some of her stuff on
78s, but was interested in learning if there are any CDs out there
featuring her only (as opposed to mixed in with other vocalists a la the
"Art Deco" series of CDs). Thanks to all for any help.

BTW--regarding the post from the gentleman in Quebec who listens to WQEW:
I live in Vermont and sometimes the BB is clear as well, but lately very
"unstable" with much interference (maybe my old Zenith console needs
re-tubed or re-capped!).

--
Charles E. Martin
jaz...@connriver.net

Jerry Dallal

Jan 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/28/97

Charles E. Martin (jaz...@connriver.net) wrote:
: Greetings to all:

: I am new to this NG, but a big fan of the BB. My question is are there any
: CD compilations of Annette Hanshaw's music?

I think AH is going to need her own newsgroup soon!

This is the little I know about Annette Hanshaw's recordings. The first
two CDs are all AH. The balance of the CDs are compliations that have
a cut or two. There may be some copies of the Lps floating around.
I got Sunbeam 512 from Footlight records and 511 from a store in SF whose
name I've forgotten, but they were able to order it from a distributor.
(This was a couple of years ago, though.) Similarly, the Take Two Lp has
been closed out, but Jim Bedoian was selling the last few he had. You
can contact him at Take Two Records, P.O. Box 36729, LA, CA 90036
213-939-4419.

CD Take Two Records TT408: The Girl Next Door
It all depends on you
My blackbirds are bluebirds now
I can't give you anything but love
In a great big way
Lover come back to me
You wouldn't fool me would you
Button up your overcoat
I get the blues when it rains
That's you baby
Big city blues
My sin
I think you'll like it
Daddy won't you please come home
I love a ukulele
Am I blue
(I'm a dreamer) aren't we all
I have to have you
Happy days are here again
Ho hum
Say it isn't so

CD Jasmine JASMCD 2542: The Twenties Sweetheart
Back Bottom
Six feet of papa
Don't take that Black Bottom away
Here or there
I gotta get somebody to love
Wistful and blue
What do I care
Nuthin'
I'm somebody's somebody now
I like what you like
Ain't that a grand and glorious feeling
Who-oo? You-oo, that's who!
Under the moon
It was only a sun shower
Who's that knocking at my door
The song is ended
Thinking of you
Mine--all mine
There must be somebody else
Get out and get under the moon
We love it

CD Columbia C2K 52943: Art Deco: Sophisticated Ladies
Big city blues
Daddy, won't you please come home?
Moanin' low
The way I feel today
Love me tonight
Moon song

CD Take Two Records TT407-CD: The First Torch Singers, Volume 1: The 20's
I must have that man
What I wouldn't do for that man

CD Pro Arte CDD 483: Legendary Entertainers
A precious thing called love

CD ASV CD AJA 5015: Flappers, Vamps and Sweet Young Things
You wouldn't fool me, would you?

CD ASV CD AJA 5077: Sing Me A Swing Song
Lovable and sweet

CD Saville CDSVL 210: Happy and Contented
Cooking breakfast for the one I love

CD Pro Arte CDC 1013: The Fabulous Thirties
We just couldn't say goodbye

CD Conifer CDHD 182: Good News (de Sylva, Brown & Henderson)
You wouldn't fool me, would you?

Lp Sunbeam P-511: The Personality Girl 1932-34
We just couldn't say goodbye
Love me tonight
Say it isn't so
You'll always be the same sweetheart
I'm sure of everything but you
Fit as a fiddle
Moon song
Twenty million people
I cover the waterfront
Sweetheart Darlin'
Don't blame me
It's the talk of the town
Give me liberty or give me love
Sing a little low-down tune
This little piggy went to market
Let's fall in love

Lp Sunbeam P-512: Miss Annette Hanshaw 1927-36
I must have that man
Moonlight saving time
When a woman loves a man
Miss Annabelle Lee
Big city blues
That's you, baby
True blue Lou
I just roll along
Ready for the river
Lila
It was so beautiful
'T'aint no one but you
Ho hum
'Cause I feel low down
Lover come back to me
Blue evening (medley)
You're a heavenly thing (medley)
What's the reason (I'm not pleasin' you) (medley)

Lp Take Two TT 219: Helen Kane and other boop-boop-a-doopers
I think you'll like it
I want to be bad

Ottawa fan

Jan 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/29/97

Re Annette Hanshaw. As a fairly new Annette fan, I came across a
CD from the Jasmine label (made in the Czech republic of all
places) that has 21 of her earliest tracks including two stunning
performances of Berlin's The Song is Ended and the Kalmar-Ruby
standard Thinking of You (which was on the hit parade in the late
40's when the MGM Three Little Words was released). Rich, if
you're reading, please let's have these two tracks soon. I don't
think I've heard them on the BB.

Re longdistance listening; I'm a few hundred kilometers north of
where you area and I have also noticed a deterioration in the
signal in the past couple of weekends. In the November to early
January period the signal was quite acceptable.

--
Ottawa fan

ray desjardins

Jan 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/31/97
to Charles E. Martin

Charles E. Martin wrote:

> Greetings to all:
>
> I am new to this NG, but a big fan of the BB. My question is are there any
> CD compilations of Annette Hanshaw's music? I have some of her stuff on
> 78s, but was interested in learning if there are any CDs out there
> featuring her only (as opposed to mixed in with other vocalists a la the
> "Art Deco" series of CDs). Thanks to all for any help.
>
> BTW--regarding the post from the gentleman in Quebec who listens to WQEW:
> I live in Vermont and sometimes the BB is clear as well, but lately very
> "unstable" with much interference (maybe my old Zenith console needs
> re-tubed or re-capped!).
>
> --
> Charles E. Martin
> jaz...@connriver.net

This is In reply to your question about a compilation of Annette Hanshaw
music. Take Two Records at 6l05 Barrows Drive, Los Angeles 90048,
telephone number 2l3-939-44l9, has just such a CD listed in their
catalog. It has about 20 songs by Annette on it--l927-32.

Donna Desjardins

24par...@gmail.com

Jul 13, 2012, 6:06:31 AM7/13/12
On Monday, January 27, 1997 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Charles E. Martin wrote:
> Greetings to all:
>
> I am new to this NG, but a big fan of the BB. My question is are there any
> CD compilations of Annette Hanshaw's music? I have some of her stuff on
> 78s, but was interested in learning if there are any CDs out there
> featuring her only (as opposed to mixed in with other vocalists a la the
> "Art Deco" series of CDs). Thanks to all for any help.
>
> BTW--regarding the post from the gentleman in Quebec who listens to WQEW:
> I live in Vermont and sometimes the BB is clear as well, but lately very
> "unstable" with much interference (maybe my old Zenith console needs
> re-tubed or re-capped!).
>
> --
> Charles E. Martin
> jaz...@connriver.net

Check eBay and you'll find an amazing selection of items by dear Annette.