Gramatically Correct Gabrielle and Xena

David E. Milligan

Nov 2, 2008, 8:43:06 AM11/2/08
I can't believe I found this web site. I was curious about the use of toward versus
towards. Plugged it into Google and came up with this web page --
http://www.englishchick.com/grammar/grconf.htm
And almost all of the examples use Xena and Gabrielle --
Accept/except
Accept is a verb meaning "to agree to" or "to adapt to" or similar:
"Gabrielle needs to accept Xena's dark side."
"This store doesn't accept wooden dinars."
Except is a preposition or conjunction meaning roughly "unless" or "if not."
"All Xena's enemies are men except Callisto."
On the main grammar page ( http://www.englishchick.com/grammar/grindex.htm ) it says, "Note
that although most of the examples used in the lessons are related to the television show Xena:
Warrior Princess, you need not be familiar with XWP to understand the lessons. All you really need
to know is that Xena is a reformed warrior who fights bad guys, and that Gabrielle is her sidekick,
friend and companion."
BTW which you use, toward or towards, is pretty much your own preference.

--
David
http://geocities.com/daviderl31/xena.htm