Josh Kirby

Terry Pratchett

Oct 26, 2001, 12:27:28 PM10/26/01
I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
aged 72

I'm going to have a drink.

--
Terry Pratchett

David Sander

Oct 26, 2001, 12:33:41 PM10/26/01

Oh, my.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends (and you too, Terry).

His unique style was just marvellous, and his work remains - for me -
the definitive vision of the Discworld and its characters (plus all the rest).

I don't drink, but as an artist, I think I'll make an exception here.

Here's cheers to you, Mr Kirby.

R.I.P.

David

AFPA Moderator

Oct 26, 2001, 12:28:45 PM10/26/01
Forwarding to AFPA for those who don't read AFP.

Spooky

Oct 26, 2001, 12:35:42 PM10/26/01

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

My deepest, deepest sympathy to all of Josh's
family, and to you, Terry.
And to all of AFP - who were an extended family, I
suspect.

He was a truly wonderful man.

:o(
--
Spooky
Afpfiance to Andrew's pink and fluffy wossnames

Jacqui

Oct 26, 2001, 12:40:45 PM10/26/01
Terry Pratchett wrote

:( Nothing to say that expresses well enough what I feel.

Raise a glass on our behalf too.

Jac

Melody S-K

Oct 26, 2001, 12:57:06 PM10/26/01

AFPA Moderator <afpa-mod...@lspace.org> wrote in message

> Forwarding to AFPA for those who don't read AFP.

> From: Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: alt.fan.pratchett
> Subject: Josh Kirby
> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100
>
> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well,
all
> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his
sleep,
> aged 72
>

> I'm going to have a drink.
>
> - --
> Terry Pratchett

Deepest condolences to all of Josh Kirbys family and to all who knew
him , including of course Terry Pratchett.

Thank you Josh for the wonderful art

Melody

--
snipped sig

MP

Oct 26, 2001, 1:22:26 PM10/26/01

Many condolences and so on to Josh's family, friends and others
associated with him. He was a talented artist, and brought many
readers to the Discworld books, as well as turning his talents to
numerous other projects.
I'm sure his style and wit will be missed by those who only knew his
works, and him as a person missed by those who knew him personally.
Perhaps a look through his compilation of works[1] would be a fitting
rememberance.

MP

[1] "A Cosmic Cornucopia", pub. 1999 by Paper Tiger, ISBN
1-85585-731-6 (text David Langford, illustrations Josh Kirby, foreword
Tom Holt), RPP 14.99UKP

Kimmi

Oct 26, 2001, 1:18:29 PM10/26/01

"Spooky" <laptop...@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> "Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in
message
> > I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers
(well, all
> > the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in
his sleep,
> > aged 72
> >

> > I'm going to have a drink.
> >
> > --
> > Terry Pratchett
>
> My deepest, deepest sympathy to all of Josh's
> family, and to you, Terry.
> And to all of AFP - who were an extended family, I
> suspect.
>
> He was a truly wonderful man.
>
> :o(

Oh my... ;-(

Words fail me...

Kim

John

Oct 26, 2001, 1:57:24 PM10/26/01

> Perhaps a look through his compilation of works[1] would be a fitting
> rememberance.
>
> MP
>
> [1] "A Cosmic Cornucopia", pub. 1999 by Paper Tiger, ISBN
> 1-85585-731-6 (text David Langford, illustrations Josh Kirby, foreword
> Tom Holt), RPP 14.99UKP

I have only just started reading Cosmic Cornucopia, I never realised just
how much fantastic artwork the man was responsible for.

A sad day. :(

John

gordon

Oct 26, 2001, 2:21:03 PM10/26/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> said:

>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
>aged 72

I'm always unsure of what to say when someone who's work I admired
so much passes on. Firstly, my sympathies and respects to all his family
and friends.

I don't know about anyone else, but I could sit for *ages* just looking at
all the details in his covers. I ordered a copy of Thief Of Time today and
it's going to be strange thinking it's the last one to be graced with his
artwork.

>I'm going to have a drink.

As am I, this one's for you Josh.

gordon

Julia Jones

Oct 26, 2001, 1:59:59 PM10/26/01
In article <otTTZXAw...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes

>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
>aged 72

That hurts, and I didn't even know him. My condolences to those who did.

I'd admired Josh Kirby's work for years before having the opportunity to
meet him at the Discworld con. I signed up for his koffee klatch, and
was glad to have done so. It was a joy to be able to discuss his work
with him, and he struck me as a lovely man. I'm glad I had the chance to
tell him how much pleasure his work had given me.
--
Julia Jones
Redemption 03, 21-23 February 2003, Ashford, Kent

CCA

Oct 26, 2001, 2:22:34 PM10/26/01
Jacqui (>sirlawren...@hotmail.com) wrote

>Terry Pratchett wrote
>> I have just heard that Josh Kirby...has died in his sleep, aged 72

>> I'm going to have a drink.

>:( Nothing to say that expresses well enough what I feel.
>
>Raise a glass on our behalf too.

I second that. He was a very talented man.

CCA

Kat Crichton

Oct 26, 2001, 2:20:36 PM10/26/01
> Raise a glass on our behalf too.
> Jac

...Here, here!

To a man with a vision that brought myself and many others, countless
moments of unadultarated pleasure and inspriation.
<Chink>
We'll miss you,

(Fuzz)Kat .: .:

Lister

Oct 26, 2001, 2:46:13 PM10/26/01
A long time ago (Fri, 26 Oct 2001 19:21:03 +0100, really), in a pub
far, far away, gordon <gor...@SPAMbhfh.fsnet.co.uk> slammed a pint
glass on the table and said :

I'm a bit bemused, I didn't realise he was that old

--
www.friendsreunited.co.uk
www.lostschoolfriends.com

everyone from the UK visit these sites, pass it on!

Elton Murphy

Oct 26, 2001, 2:50:54 PM10/26/01
In article <otTTZXAw...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes

Crikey, I'm lost for words. It was only two months ago that Josh was
here at The Discworld Event and seemed so full of vitality. So many fans
said how pleased they were to meet him.

What a tragic loss:-(

Elton
--
Elton Murphy
The Collectors' Guild

John Leith

Oct 26, 2001, 2:52:28 PM10/26/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:28:45 +0100 (BST), afpa-mod...@lspace.org
(AFPA Moderator) wrote:

>From: Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk>
>Subject: Josh Kirby
>Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100
>

>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
>aged 72

My sincere condolences to his friends and relations.

>I'm going to have a drink.

I think I will join you in toasting his memory.

--
nos...@birdy.dircon.co.uk - That is really my e-mail address.
AFP Code 1.1a AC$ d+ s:+ a UP++ R+ F++ h+ P5+ OS--: C++++ M- pp--- L+ c

Simon Callan

Oct 26, 2001, 2:14:41 PM10/26/01
In message <otTTZXAw...@unseen.demon.co.uk>
Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

He will be missed. Condolences to his friends and family.

The books will feel very different without his art on the covers,

Simon

--
http://www.callan.demon.co.uk/simon/

\eeoh

Oct 26, 2001, 3:08:19 PM10/26/01

Sorry as hell, best regards to his family.

He was a talented man who will be sadly missed.

Mark

elfin

Oct 26, 2001, 3:13:44 PM10/26/01
"Terry Pratchett" wrote

> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers
> (well, all the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has
> died in his sleep, aged 72

I met Josh, he was a very nice person. I have seen his art, he was very
talented. I have bought books because of his covers. His style was unique,
he will be sorely missed.

My condolences to Josh, his family and close friends.

elfin

CSR

Oct 26, 2001, 4:07:52 PM10/26/01
In article <otTTZXAw...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,
tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk says...

I'm very sorry to hear it. Please convey the sympathies and condolences
of a fan to his family and friends.

--
Colin in Oslo

Nigel Stapley

Oct 26, 2001, 5:23:53 PM10/26/01

"CSR" <cos...@REMOVETHISonline.no> wrote in message

All previous sentiments seconded & carried.....

.....but WOW! What a legacy!

Thanks for it all, Josh.

--
Nigel Stapley

nsta...@gwrthsbam.lineone.net

(delete <gwrthsbam.> to reply)

"Some mornings it just doesn't seem worth it to gnaw through the leather
straps"
(Emo Phillips)

Martyn Clapham

Oct 26, 2001, 4:18:05 PM10/26/01
In article <Lw0NTVAO...@murphville.demon.co.uk>, Elton Murphy
<El...@thecollectorsguild.com> writes

>In article <otTTZXAw...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
><tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes
>>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>>the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
>>aged 72
>>
>>I'm going to have a drink.
>>
>Crikey, I'm lost for words. It was only two months ago that Josh was
>here at The Discworld Event and seemed so full of vitality. So many fans
>said how pleased they were to meet him.

I probably saw him there, but can't remember actually meeting him. Mind
you, I was probably looking for someone younger.

>What a tragic loss:-(

It certainly is. My sympathies got out to all his family and friends.

Terry, given that so far this year we have lost Douglas and Josh,
please, please, _please_ look after yourself!

Mart.
--
Not really the time for a funny sig, I think.

Jinx

Oct 26, 2001, 6:01:53 PM10/26/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

I'd just like to express my condolences to the family and friends of
Josh Kirby.

He brought colour and humour into my life and his talent will be sadly
missed.

--
Jinx :) ///\oo/\\\

Daibhid Chienedelh

Oct 26, 2001, 6:39:08 PM10/26/01
Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<otTTZXAw...@unseen.demon.co.uk>...

Don't know what to say. I only met Josh to speak to once, at the 98
Con, but out of all the friendly and nice people involved in
Discworld, he struck me as one of the nicest. My condolences to family
and friends. 8-(.

--
Dave

theLadyGoddess

Oct 26, 2001, 6:51:50 PM10/26/01

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> sadly wrote

My heart goes out to those that knew Josh.
You all have my condolences.

AFAIAC the discworld books will never be the same without him.

Peaceful journey, Josh.

Tmara

Wally Anglesea™

Oct 26, 2001, 7:01:45 PM10/26/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Oh, no. I'm stunned.

Too early for me, but a bunch of us are getting together (just
coincidence). We'll raise a glass or two to his talent and memory.

--

Find out about Australia's most dangerous Doomsday Cult:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/wanglese/pebble.htm

"You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down."

Jennifer en Reinier Sjouw

Oct 26, 2001, 7:12:24 PM10/26/01
AFPA Moderator wrote

> Forwarding to AFPA for those who don't read AFP.
>
> From: Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: alt.fan.pratchett
> Subject: Josh Kirby
> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100
>
>> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers
>> (well, all the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers)
>> has died in his sleep, aged 72

Well, what is left to say?
Goodbye, and thanks for all the enjoyable work.
And even for the opportunity to gripe about pictures of
witches that didn't look at all like Granny to me.
I suppose the "in his sleep" bit is something
to be thankful for.

Cheers. :-(

Reinier.

PS. I Just got told off by news.lspace.org for not tagging
this post. yuck. I'm going to say this is [R]elevant.
Even though I realise _my_ feelings about JK's death
are not exactly relevant to the works of TP D.Litt OBE.

Franko Franicevich

Oct 26, 2001, 7:33:39 PM10/26/01

> All previous sentiments seconded & carried.....
>
> .....but WOW! What a legacy!
>
> Thanks for it all, Josh.

That's a great way to look at it. What a legacy he's left us.
For me, the diskworld just won't be the same without a kirby picture on
the cover to put me in that diskworld mood.

I never met him, but I'll miss him, and join you all in raising a glass
in his memory.

-Franko

Tuppence Silverthistle

Oct 26, 2001, 7:41:19 PM10/26/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
>aged 72
>

>I'm going to have a drink.
>

>--
>Terry Pratchett

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Kathleen M.

Oct 26, 2001, 8:30:15 PM10/26/01
>> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well,
>all
>> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his
>sleep,
>> aged 72
>>

>> I'm going to have a drink.
>>
>> - --
>> Terry Pratchett

I.... I.... *cries*

Sure, I never really liked his artwork but dear god no..... noo.... this can't
be true...

why God why? WHY?!?!?!?!?!

*cries*

My condolences to his family and anyone who knew him...

*cries some more*

Paul E. Jamison

Oct 26, 2001, 11:00:08 PM10/26/01
Terry Pratchett wrote:

> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> aged 72
>
> I'm going to have a drink.
>
> --

> Terry Pratchett

There's nothing I can say beyond extending my condolences
to his family and friends.

Paul E. Jamison

Andy Davison

Oct 26, 2001, 9:28:16 PM10/26/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:28:45 +0100 (BST), in message
<1004114...@squeamish.osifrage.net>, afpa-mod...@lspace.org
(AFPA Moderator) wrote:

>From: Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk>
>Newsgroups: alt.fan.pratchett
>Subject: Josh Kirby

>Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100
>
>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
>aged 72
>

>I'm going to have a drink.

Well, I am too. I make a homebrew stout/porter called Black Armband
(which I brewed first when they knocked down the local football
ground). I think I'll have a Black Armband for Josh.
You can always spot a Kirby cover from miles away. Very distinctive.
I'm sure other artists copied his style but there was only one
original.
:(
My condolences to his family and all who knew him.
--
Andy Davison
andy.d...@btinternet.com

April Goodwin-Smith

Oct 27, 2001, 2:54:49 AM10/27/01
David Sander wrote:

> Terry Pratchett wrote:
> >
> > I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> > the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> > aged 72
> >
> > I'm going to have a drink.

> My sincerest condolences to his family and friends (and you too, Terry).

Yes, indeed.

> Here's cheers to you, Mr Kirby.

Let us celebrate a life that had 72 years , and the
opportunity to offer the world his talent, and a
peaceful end.

> R.I.P.

Yes, indeed.

April.

--
"Things that try to look like things often do look more
like things than things. Well known fact."

James the Cat

Oct 27, 2001, 6:47:14 AM10/27/01
David Sander <sur...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message news:<3BD99065...@bigpond.net.au>...

> Terry Pratchett wrote:
> >
> > I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> > the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> > aged 72
> >
> > I'm going to have a drink.
>
> Oh, my.

> My sincerest condolences to his family and friends (and you too, Terry).
>
> His unique style was just marvellous, and his work remains - for me -
> the definitive vision of the Discworld and its characters (plus all the rest).
>
> I don't drink, but as an artist, I think I'll make an exception here.

> Here's cheers to you, Mr Kirby.
>
> R.I.P.
>

> David

Ditto.

It was Josh Kirby's cover artwork (for the hardback of Small Gods,
which I still think is one of his finest pieces of work) which first
got me started reading Pratchett almost exactly 10 years ago, and I've
never looked back since.

Sadly missed.

james the cat

Richard Emerson

Oct 27, 2001, 6:52:20 AM10/27/01
"AFPA Moderator" <afpa-mod...@lspace.org> wrote in message

> Forwarding to AFPA for those who don't read AFP.

> From: Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: alt.fan.pratchett
> Subject: Josh Kirby
> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100
>
> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> aged 72
>

> I'm going to have a drink.
>
> - --
> Terry Pratchett

Is this for real???

Terry Pratchett

Oct 27, 2001, 7:06:50 AM10/27/01
In article <9re3im$6aa$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Richard Emerson
<space...@x-stream.co.uk> writes

>> From: Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk>
>> Newsgroups: alt.fan.pratchett
>> Subject: Josh Kirby
>> Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100
>>
>> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
>> aged 72
>>

>> I'm going to have a drink.
>>
>> - --
>> Terry Pratchett
>
>Is this for real???

Sheesh. I know the 'net can get weird, but do you really think *I'd*
post this without some serious checking?
--
Terry Pratchett

Petri Sakari Holopainen

Oct 27, 2001, 7:28:18 AM10/27/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers
>(well, all the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has
>died in his sleep, aged 72
>I'm going to have a drink.

I'm sorry and sad. And will raise the glass as well.

I was actually under the impression that he was much younger
than 72 years old. I mentally placed him somewhere between 30
and 40 years old. Too early nevertheless.

Now, in the future, when my visitors are gazing at the long line of
Discworld paperbacks on my shelves, maybe they will spot the first
back of the novel that has a different cover, and hopefully they will
ask a reason for this, and I can tell them that Josh Kirby, a great
artist, who so far had drawn those covers, had died. This probably
will bring the mood down a bit, but that is usually the price worth
paying, when remembering those that are dead.

Petri

Lister

Oct 27, 2001, 7:35:45 AM10/27/01
A long time ago (Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:06:50 +0100, really), in a pub
far, far away, Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> slammed

a pint glass on the table and said :

>In article <9re3im$6aa$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Richard Emerson

how do *we* know *you* are who you say you are? :P~

Carrie Cota

Oct 27, 2001, 7:47:20 AM10/27/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100, from

>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
>aged 72
>

>I'm going to have a drink.
>
>--
>Terry Pratchett
My deepest sympathies to Mr. Kirby's family. I, of course, include all
of us in hiis AFPfamily who have long admired his works. Although I
never had the privilege of meeting him face to face, it was his genius
as an artist that first attracted me. His gentleness showed through in
that.

Those of you who drink, please lift a glas in toast to the Memory of
one of the very best among us. Pterry, I also say, as someone said
earlier; in light of losing Josh Kirby and DNA this year, please take
care of yourself.
in deepest sympathy and mourning,
Carrie
no .sig today

Ssirienna

Oct 27, 2001, 7:55:02 AM10/27/01

"April Goodwin-Smith" <lor...@telusplanet.net> wrote in message

> David Sander wrote:
> >
> > Terry Pratchett wrote:
> > >
> > > I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well,
all
> > > the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his
sleep,
> > > aged 72
> > >
> > > I'm going to have a drink.
>
> > My sincerest condolences to his family and friends (and you too, Terry).
>
> Yes, indeed.

Zen Hugs to all concerned.

> > Here's cheers to you, Mr Kirby.
>
> Let us celebrate a life that had 72 years , and the
> opportunity to offer the world his talent, and a
> peaceful end.
>

> > R.I.P.
>
> Yes, indeed.

Am sure that he's joining us in a toast to a life well-lived :-)

--
Ssirienna

"O for a life of sensations rather than of thoughts!"
--John Keats
AFEfiance to BelZedar (the Phoenix-like!!!)
AFE d+ m++ ot+ l afec+ a++ fs-

Diane L.

Oct 27, 2001, 8:34:01 AM10/27/01

Lister wrote in message ...

>A long time ago (Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:06:50 +0100, really), in a pub
>far, far away, Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> slammed
>a pint glass on the table and said :
>
>>In article <9re3im$6aa$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Richard Emerson
>><space...@x-stream.co.uk> writes
<re: the sad news about Josh Kirby>

>>>Is this for real???
>>
>>Sheesh. I know the 'net can get weird, but do you really think *I'd*
>>post this without some serious checking?
>

>how do *we* know *you* are who you say you are? :P~

Well, instead of intruding into this thread with stupid remarks like
that, you could actually check the email addy and see whether any
other posts have been made from Terry Pratchett at that address.
Or if you can't do that, and you're genuinely suspicious, you could
wait to see the responses of regular posters, who have seen posts
from Terry before (yes, Terry Pratchett *does* post here - though I
sometimes wonder why, when this is the sort of response he gets).
What you shouldn't do is post this sort of crass nonsense, which
is about as appropriate to this thread as a red nose at a funeral.

Diane L. (quite surprised by how angry this made her)

Mark L.

Oct 27, 2001, 8:34:44 AM10/27/01

"Carrie Cota" <Ca...@sfo.com> wrote

> My deepest sympathies to Mr. Kirby's family. I, of course, include all
> of us in hiis AFPfamily who have long admired his works. Although I
> never had the privilege of meeting him face to face, it was his genius
> as an artist that first attracted me. His gentleness showed through in
> that.
>
> Those of you who drink, please lift a glas in toast to the Memory of
> one of the very best among us. Pterry, I also say, as someone said
> earlier; in light of losing Josh Kirby and DNA this year, please take
> care of yourself.
> in deepest sympathy and mourning,
> Carrie
> no .sig today

Amen to that.

Mark L.

Funky Blue Monkey

Oct 27, 2001, 9:20:25 AM10/27/01

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> aged 72
>

> I'm going to have a drink.
>
> --
> Terry Pratchet.

Deepest sympathies from my family to the family and friends of Josh Kirby
and anyone who was lucky enough to have met this great artist in person.

To me the pictures on the front of the Discworld books were nearly as
important as the words inside. That first glimpse of a new book, which
you could not fail to notice from the cover. Picking it up and admiring
the originality and beauty of the artwork that adorned the cover. Even
the journey home to read the book was a joy because you could spend
time admiring the work and wondering what the book had in store for
you.
I cannot imagine the Discworld books without Josh's wonderful covers.

He will be sorely missed by all.
FBM

Dragon Prince

Oct 27, 2001, 10:20:35 AM10/27/01
Kathleen M. opened a line in alt.fan.pratchett to say the followin...

> >> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well,
> >all
> >> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his
> >sleep,
> >> aged 72
> >>

> >> I'm going to have a drink.
> >>
> >> - --
> >> Terry Pratchett
>
> I.... I.... *cries*
>

> My condolences to his family and anyone who knew him...
>
> *cries some more*

/me offers up my wishes to his family and loved ones

brett
--
This is not an invitation to a food fight. Before we know it we'll
have the vinegar brigade on one side, the honey lot on the other, and

Lister

Oct 27, 2001, 10:58:21 AM10/27/01
A long time ago (Sat, 27 Oct 2001 13:34:01 +0100, really), in a pub
far, far away, "Diane L." <diane....@btinternet.com> slammed a pint

glass on the table and said :

>Lister wrote in message ...
>>A long time ago (Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:06:50 +0100, really), in a pub
>>far, far away, Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> slammed
>>a pint glass on the table and said :
>>
>>>In article <9re3im$6aa$1...@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk>, Richard Emerson
>>><space...@x-stream.co.uk> writes
><re: the sad news about Josh Kirby>

>>>Sheesh. I know the 'net can get weird, but do you really think *I'd*
>>>post this without some serious checking?
>>

>>how do *we* know *you* are who you say you are? :P~
>>

>Well, instead of intruding into this thread with stupid remarks like
>that, you could actually check the email addy and see whether any
>other posts have been made from Terry Pratchett at that address.
>Or if you can't do that, and you're genuinely suspicious, you could
>wait to see the responses of regular posters, who have seen posts
>from Terry before (yes, Terry Pratchett *does* post here - though I
>sometimes wonder why, when this is the sort of response he gets).
>What you shouldn't do is post this sort of crass nonsense, which
>is about as appropriate to this thread as a red nose at a funeral.
>
>Diane L. (quite surprised by how angry this made her)

I knew I shouldn't have posted that - it was in jest

Pam

Oct 27, 2001, 11:39:56 AM10/27/01

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> aged 72
>

> I'm going to have a drink.
>
> --
> Terry Pratchett

I've been offline for some time because of computer problems - I finally get
back on the newsgroup and this is the first post I see :-(

Josh was so talented - wherever I was reading - in hospital, in an airport,
by a swimming pool in the sun, people have been attracted by the covers -
each time asking "is that a Discworld book?"

A very sad day.

My thoughts are with Josh's family and friends.

--

Pam

Lesley Weston

Oct 27, 2001, 12:12:19 PM10/27/01
in article brilttcd1rmjuo7hg...@4ax.com, Lister at
fa...@clara.net wrote on 27/10/01 7:58 AM:

What is the matter with you? Josh Kirby's death is obviously not something
to joke about. He will be greatly missed.

Lesley Weston.

Lister

Oct 27, 2001, 12:31:33 PM10/27/01
A long time ago (Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:12:19 GMT, really), in a pub far,
far away, Lesley Weston <les...@vancouverbc.net> slammed a pint glass

no of course not, that wasn't what I meant

what I'm saying is it's easy for someone to post something like that
and have lots of people believe them, without any evidence - ok, the
message was from apparently Terry himself, but for all you know some
other troll could have spoofed his account. As much as I believe it,
I'd also like to see newspaper evidence, because I've seen this sort
of thing happen before (someone posted to a Red Dwarf newsgroup
claiming Craig Charles was dead, and some people believed him - I know
you lot in AFP are more discerning (heh) but still)

fake Mary MacTavish

Oct 27, 2001, 12:42:33 PM10/27/01
On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:06:50 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> said:

>Sheesh. I know the 'net can get weird, but do you really think *I'd*
>post this without some serious checking?

After I posted it in the LiveJournal "discworld" community, someone
asked me for the message ID so she could check for herself. (She would
have believed you, she just wasn't sure whether to believe me about
your post.)

I'm glad folks want to make sure things are real before spreading
rumors. But I didn't think for a minute that you would have spread an
unsubstantiated rumor about a friend of yours.
`
Mary - http://www.prado.com/~iris
"We will not last and we know we will not -- and we still write, carve,
build, paint, and plant to last. We are, it seems to me, very, very
brave." - Linda Ellerbee

David Chapman

Oct 27, 2001, 5:34:21 AM10/27/01
"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:otTTZXAw...@unseen.demon.co.uk...
> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> aged 72
>

> I'm going to have a drink.

I don't like the recent Kirby covers much, and wish someone had retired
him for Paul Kidby years ago. But given a choice between Josh being alive
and Paul Kidby doing the covers, and Josh being dead and Paul Kidby
doing the covers - well, I haven't really been given a choice at all, have I?

--
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
It's unbelievably important. You should eat

eTroll

Oct 27, 2001, 2:58:00 PM10/27/01

"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> aged 72
>

> I'm going to have a drink.
>
> --
> Terry Pratchett

Another hourglass emptied to soon

The last time i used that phrase was when Antti Lehtola died, He died when
he was younger than me and Josh has died at just more than twice my present
age. Both points on a bell curve that will include us all eventually. AFP is
a virtual community that i am proud to be a part of even thou i dont even
post/lurk very often of recent times. For those who have joined since march
1999 this link :-

http://www.lspace.org/fandom/afp/timelines/antti.html

shows how members of the group reacted to a loss in the past and i think it
reflects as well on those in the group as it does on Antti.

For Josh i think the best way to remmember him by fans is his art some of
which can be found at :-

http://www.lspace.org/books/book-covers.html

The eye candy that wraps the contents that inspired this group

Not all the covers are his but if you look at the credits you see

Josh Kirby : virtually everything!!

Alex :-(

john usher

Oct 27, 2001, 3:48:16 PM10/27/01

Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> aged 72
>

> I'm going to have a drink.
>
> --
> Terry Pratchett

About fourteen years ago I was scanning through the SF/Fantasy section of my
local bookstore when I noticed the cover of one. Josh Kirby, I was familiar
with his stuff and liked it. 'Jerome K Jerome meets Lord of the Rings(with a
touch of Peter Pan) the blurb said, which meant bog all to me then and even
less now. But the cover looked cool, knobbly trolls, a seedy inn and what
seemed to be a chest on legs. So I handed over my £1.95. And went back the
next day to get The Light Fantastic( and kept looking from the text to the
cover, thinking, 'did I get it wrong? It's a specs joke isn't it?)
All these years later and I've got a heaving bookshelf full of great books
covered with great art.
Thanks Josh.

Mark

Oct 27, 2001, 2:33:06 PM10/27/01
In article <IuyC7.3560$GA.3...@news2-win.server.ntlworld.com>,

Funky Blue Monkey <thefunkyb...@lycos.co.uk> wrote:

> Deepest sympathies from my family to the family and friends of Josh Kirby
> and anyone who was lucky enough to have met this great artist in person.

> To me the pictures on the front of the Discworld books were nearly as
> important as the words inside. That first glimpse of a new book, which
> you could not fail to notice from the cover. Picking it up and admiring
> the originality and beauty of the artwork that adorned the cover. Even
> the journey home to read the book was a joy because you could spend
> time admiring the work and wondering what the book had in store for
> you.
> I cannot imagine the Discworld books without Josh's wonderful covers.

The books certainly won't be the same. I may not have liked all of the covers
(although many I did, and a couple I loved), but they /all/ captured
Discworld in picture form as well as Pterry does in words.

They won't be quite the same again.

> He will be sorely missed by all.

Absolutely true.

--
__ __ _
| \/ |__ _ _ _| | __ The opinions expressed in this post do
| |\/| / _` | '_| |/ / not neccesarily reflect those of my brain.
|_| |_\__,_|_| |_|\_\ ICQ: 101381341

J. Kusters

Oct 27, 2001, 4:55:57 PM10/27/01
Whenever I visit people for the first time, my eyes wander off to their
bookshelves. Many times a row of colourfull covers by Mr Kirby would be the
first sign I was meeting new friends to be. He will be remebered.

Groetings, Janneman

homepage: http://www.geocities.com/janneman_nl/
"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> schreef in bericht

Darkmoon

Oct 27, 2001, 5:51:29 PM10/27/01
On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 16:42:33 GMT, fake wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2001 12:06:50 +0100, Terry Pratchett
> <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> said:
>
> >Sheesh. I know the 'net can get weird, but do you really think *I'd*
> >post this without some serious checking?
>
> After I posted it in the LiveJournal "discworld" community, someone
> asked me for the message ID so she could check for herself. (She would
> have believed you, she just wasn't sure whether to believe me about
> your post.)

Yes, that would be me. :) I still haven't got the original post,
annoyingly enough, but since at that point I hadn't seen ANY of it I
just wanted to be sure. Had I been able to match the names up I
wouldn't have even bothered asking you, since I recognize your name
here. I just didn't know whether you were a regular poster or just
some newbie who saw a hoax and fell for it. Now I know. :)

--
Sierra Kempster, http://www.lunamorena.net/
Please use "Reply-To" when sending email.

fake Mary MacTavish

Oct 27, 2001, 6:09:39 PM10/27/01
On 27 Oct 2001 21:51:29 GMT, nos...@lunamorena.net (Darkmoon) said:

>Yes, that would be me. :) I still haven't got the original post,
>annoyingly enough, but since at that point I hadn't seen ANY of it I
>just wanted to be sure. Had I been able to match the names up I
>wouldn't have even bothered asking you, since I recognize your name
>here. I just didn't know whether you were a regular poster or just
>some newbie who saw a hoax and fell for it. Now I know. :)

And now that I see your sig, I realize I've known you (or of you)
elsenet for about the past five years. Whoa. Small world.

T J Wilkinson

Oct 27, 2001, 6:50:25 PM10/27/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,

Oh, no. I alway thought that his pictures captured the spirit of the
Discworld beautifully. I'll miss him.

My sympathy to all his family and friends.

Tracy

Eric Jarvis

Oct 27, 2001, 7:47:10 PM10/27/01
Lesley Weston wrote:
> in article brilttcd1rmjuo7hg...@4ax.com, Lister at
> fa...@clara.net wrote on 27/10/01 7:58 AM:
>
> > A long time ago (Sat, 27 Oct 2001 13:34:01 +0100, really), in a pub
> > far, far away, "Diane L." <diane....@btinternet.com> slammed a pint
> > glass on the table and said :
> >
> > > (quite surprised by how angry this made her)
> >
> > I knew I shouldn't have posted that - it was in jest
> >

> What is the matter with you? Josh Kirby's death is obviously not something
> to joke about. He will be greatly missed.

the world is smaller and duller to the tune of one very witty and
vivid artist

however...anything is a subject to be joked about...the problem with
Lister's comment is not that it was in jest, but that it was in bad
taste

admittedly I can't think of a joke that wouldn't be sick right
now...but I'm sure that should anyone have anything to say that is
both funny and in good taste then, wherever Death has delivered him,
Josh Kirby will laugh at it too

--
eric - afprelationships in headers

Paul Smith

Oct 27, 2001, 8:48:56 PM10/27/01
snip

>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,

>aged 72
>

>I'm going to have a drink.
>
>--
>Terry Pratchett

My condolences to all of Josh's family and friends. The man was a great
talent and will be sorely missed. His memory though will be passed on by all
who read the DW books in the future and every time a smile is raised by his
exquisite covers.

Paul

Mik

Oct 27, 2001, 8:46:07 PM10/27/01
"Terry Pratchett" <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> aged 72
>

> I'm going to have a drink.

A sad loss...

Mik

Marie

Oct 27, 2001, 8:54:18 PM10/27/01
On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:27:28 +0100, Terry Pratchett wrote...

> I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
> the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
> aged 72

Oh dear...

My deepest condolences to Josh's family, friends and everyone here that
knew him.

I've had several interesting conversations on buses, trains etc. with
strangers who have recognised a Discworld book I've been reading just by
the cover, and I have friends who first picked one up to read (usually
off my bookshelf) because of Josh's artwork. AFAIAA I'm not the only
person here to have experienced this.

Such a talented man with a unique style and a fantastic body of work -
and not just the Discworld covers. I never had the chance to meet him but
I'll sorely miss him and his art.

Thanks for brightening up my bookshelves and my life, Josh, and may you
rest in peace.

Marie :-(
--
Persistently delurking since '99 - afprelationships in headers

wsallen

Oct 27, 2001, 11:47:52 PM10/27/01

Terry Pratchett wrote in message ...

>I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW covers (well, all
>the paperback and all but one of the hardcovers) has died in his sleep,
>aged 72
>

>I'm going to have a drink.
>
>--
>Terry Pratchett

Deepest sympathies to Mr Kirby's family and to all who knew him!

Raising my glass in toast.

Heidi Aussie

Martin Wisse

Oct 28, 2001, 5:11:57 AM10/28/01
On 27 Oct 2001 03:47:14 -0700, james...@unknownarmies.com (James the
Cat) wrote:

>It was Josh Kirby's cover artwork (for the hardback of Small Gods,
>which I still think is one of his finest pieces of work) which first
>got me started reading Pratchett almost exactly 10 years ago, and I've
>never looked back since.

The same goes for me. Oft criticised for his portrayal of the Discworld
characters he may have been, but to me his were the defining versions,
which none of the other artists, talented though they are, could match.

It will be strange and sad to see a main sequence Discworld book without
his artwork on it.

>Sadly missed.

Indeed. Let's take a moment to remember him during the Con.

Martin Wisse
--
Pictures from CCDE, meet reports and more:
<http://www.ad-astra.demon.nl/afp/>

Jenny Radcliffe

Oct 28, 2001, 9:01:37 AM10/28/01
David Sander <sur...@bigpond.net.au> wrote

> Terry Pratchett wrote:
> > I have just heard that Josh Kirby, who did all the DW
> > covers (well, all the paperback and all but one of the
> > hardcovers) has died in his sleep, aged 72
> > I'm going to have a drink.
> Oh, my.

> My sincerest condolences to his family and friends (and you
> too, Terry).

Likewise.

> His unique style was just marvellous, and his work remains -
> for me - the definitive vision of the Discworld and its
> characters (plus all the rest).
> I don't drink, but as an artist, I think I'll make an exception
> here. Here's cheers to you, Mr Kirby.

We raised a couple of commemorative pints in the Victoria Hotel,
Durham, last night.

> R.I.P.

Seconded.

Jenny Radcliffe

Oct 28, 2001, 9:17:07 AM10/28/01
Carrie Cota <Ca...@sfo.com> wrote

> Those of you who drink, please lift a glas in toast to the
> Memory of one of the very best among us.

Anyone who doesn't drink at all, of course, will be keeling over
dead of dehydration ... I suggest that those who drink alcohol raise
a glass of non-alcoholic liquid which can of course be just as
meaningful ... no offence intended, Carrie ... ;)

Kath Naylor

Oct 28, 2001, 9:54:20 AM10/28/01