TP on the net

Terry Pratchett

Feb 8, 1993, 8:14:00 AM2/8/93
to tprat...@cix.compulink.co.uk
Okay...I've joined Demon's tenner-a-month deal which gives me full net
access. I can't say when I'll be setting up -- it's a busy week ahead -- but
with any luck the monkey gets the key to the banana plantation by the end of
the week.

Terry

Simon Marsh

Feb 8, 1993, 9:17:10 AM2/8/93

I'll be the first one then to invite you to Foothills then.

The Foothills .. telnet loligo.cc.fsu.edu 2010
or numerically telnet 128.186.2.99 2010

Simon Marsh

---
+ INET: S.J....@csv.warwick.ac.uk +----------------------------------- +
+ -------- sma...@loligo.cc.fsu.edu + JANET:S.J....@uk.ac.warwick +

Whiplash

Feb 8, 1993, 9:48:14 AM2/8/93

Oh boy oh boy oh boy
Does this mean that:
a) No more Discworld?
b) Another MUD addict to join the hordes?
c) soooo much thread follow up that we get >>>>>>>>>> all the way down
the page??

Might I reccomend some Inet numbers to you Terry....*&)
It might be nice to have some real time conversation for a change.
(Plus there is the beauty of annonymous pseuds *&)

Also (on an almost completely irrelevant thread) it was my birthday last
Monday and I got lots of (go on - guess!) Book Tokens! (my family long having
given up on guessing which books I havent already got *&) and as I have been
in a fairly TP mood since reading this group I bought a few (not all of them
though - don't worry yet *grin*)

I bought them on Wednesday and read the first one that night - "Only You Can
Save Mankind!" and my first reaction was immediately backed up by Terry's
posting about Inet - "Only a SPOD could have written this!"
So many memories of the days of magnetic tape & early (dodgy) 5 1/4 disc
drives on the BBC's and Spectrums of the computer world. Pre-teenage hacking
of security systems on games. Never owning an original copy of anything etc.
Oh - it brought it all flooding back! Along with some memorable quotes about
post-teenage computer spods *&) (all true might I add! *&) Brilliant.
But enough pseudo-fan-worship *&)
One thing that I (and the three people who immediately read it as soon as I
had finished, and the whole terminal room that had it spoiled for them by me
reading out the funny bits as I read it) wondered was whether it was supposed
to be set in Britain (as I thought) or America (as The Great Cheeseplant &
others seemed to think - mainly because of the use of the term "malls" as in
shopping)
The other books I got are discworld but I have put them on hold until I finish
the complete James Herriot *&)

One more thing (sorry - I do tend to waffle - just think of it as an
endearing quality and you'll find it doesnt annoy you as much *&) is that I
tried the Discworld MUD the other day (completely by accident I might add for
when I saw the address in here I stuck it in my .alias so that I wouldn't
loose it (that being the one file I can repeatedly find *&) and aliased it to
"dw". Wednesday last week I was updating manual pages (horrible tedious job)
when I came across the command "dw", not being sure if it still existed I
tried it and - Hey Presto - found myself wandering through the Vreal-life
extension of Discworld!) apart from someone already using my alias (how many
"whiplash's" can there be in the world??!) so I had to make do with "whippy" I
was fairly impressed. It doesn't seem as complex as some MUD's but it was
fairly enjoyable to play and I found that having a definate theme behind it
gave it much more structure and purpose without being too easy to play - which
could have happened because of it being based on the books. So there you go
anyway *&)
~Whippy the wafflesaurus

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
* \^/ |-| | |' |' \/ * cs...@csv.warwick.ac.uk cs...@csv.warwick.ac.uk *
* / * whi...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk neww...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk *
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Mr C J Hughes

Feb 8, 1993, 10:17:52 AM2/8/93

|I'll be the first one then to invite you to Foothills then.
|
|The Foothills .. telnet loligo.cc.fsu.edu 2010
|or numerically telnet 128.186.2.99 2010
|
|Simon Marsh

And i'll be the second...

- Chris Hughes.

cst...@csv.warwick.ac.uk

Amy Rich

Feb 8, 1993, 12:49:17 PM2/8/93

And, though im one of those bloody yanks, ill be the first to invite
you to MONOCHROME (login and passwd: mono, you may log in as a guest
if you dont have an account) which resides in your very own UK :}

138.40.11.1
138.40.21.1
138.40.31.1
138.40.41.1
138.40.17.1 (only for those outside of the UK, i believe)

I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards.
I got a full house and four people died. -- Steven Wright
sau...@wpi.wpi.edu

Michael D. Weston

Feb 8, 1993, 8:29:06 PM2/8/93
Hi! I just saw a posting mentioning a Discworld MUD, and was wondering if
someone would e-mail the address for it, and any other MUD's that have
proven to be worthwhile (read: addictive). Thanks.
--Mike
wes...@mail.auburn.edu

Terry Pratchett

Feb 9, 1993, 5:58:38 AM2/9/93

>In article <memo....@cix.compulink.co.uk> tprat...@cix.compulink.co.uk
> writes:
>Okay...I've joined Demon's tenner-a-month deal which gives me full net
>access. I can't say when I'll be setting up -- it's a busy week ahead -- but
>with any luck the monkey gets the key to the banana plantation by the end of
>the week.

Okay---I'm HERE. There's lot of helpful readmes with this stuff but
right now I feel like a canoe builder at the controls of a supertanker (coast
line, what coastline?) This here dinky little editor is going to be the
first to be replaced!

Terry

Matthew Crosby

Feb 8, 1993, 12:52:11 PM2/8/93
Oh dear. Terry, listen closely. On no account:
a) Play muds
b) Play empire or netrek
c) Use IRC

These are all VERY boring and you won't like them at all. You will find it
MUCH more fun writing more books for us. Ok? :-)

(On the other hand, if you need to test out your talk program, please feel
free to talk to me. I wouldn't mind a bit :-)

More seriously, cool!
--
-Matt
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the net!

Mark Turner

Feb 9, 1993, 7:14:50 AM2/9/93
In article <729255...@unseen.demon.co.uk> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk writes:
>Okay---I'm HERE. There's lot of helpful readmes with this stuff but
>right now I feel like a canoe builder at the controls of a supertanker (coast
>line, what coastline?) This here dinky little editor is going to be the
>first to be replaced!

Almost there! The 'Organisation: ' line in your headers is showing garbage
because you haven't set it up in the configure program. From the menu,
choose 'A - Configure News' then 'A - Configure SNEWS Installation Options'.

Regards,

Mark.

p.s. We don't have that problem with the coastline down 'ere! :)

Whiplash

Feb 9, 1993, 9:09:50 AM2/9/93
In article <729255...@unseen.demon.co.uk> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk writes:
>Okay---I'm HERE.

Just cos I'm curious - are you likely to try any of these MUD/talkers being
suggested to you Terry? Or are you not into that kind of thing?

~Whippy

Martin G Bridges

Feb 9, 1993, 12:44:43 PM2/9/93
In article <westomd.93...@lab6.duc.auburn.edu>,

I'm also interested in this. Perhaps a posting of the address (and
hints/tips etc.), or e-mail me direct.

Cheers
Martin

*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
Opinions expressed above are the author's:
Bridges...@Dodo.Logica.Co.UK.
Logica Space & Communications Ltd, Stephenson House, 67-87 Hampstead Road,
London NW1 2PL, England. Tel: +44 (0)71-637 9111 Fax: +44 (0)71-383 0530.
*-------------------------------------------------------------------------*
>>>We apologise for the inconvenience.

Terry Pratchett

Feb 9, 1993, 4:18:57 PM2/9/93
In article <729260...@mt.demon.co.uk> m...@kram.demon.co.uk writes:

>Almost there! The 'Organisation: ' line in your headers is showing garbage
>because you haven't set it up in the configure program. From the menu,
>choose 'A - Configure News' then 'A - Configure SNEWS Installation Options'.

I hope that's sorted out now. As to whether all this will stop me writing,
could be. I've spent the day tinking with the programs and also
configuring the fax-software-from-hell. Enough...enough...

Terry

Hugh D.R. Evans (ESA/ESTEC/WMA Netherlands)

Feb 10, 1993, 8:33:51 AM2/10/93
In article <729255...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Ter...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:
|>Okay---I'm HERE. There's lot of helpful readmes with this stuff but
|>right now I feel like a canoe builder at the controls of a supertanker (coast
|>line, what coastline?) This here dinky little editor is going to be the
|>first to be replaced!
|>
|>Terry

Typical of an author not liking his editor!!!!!

Regards,
Hugh Evans
Internet hev...@estwm0.wm.estec.esa.nl
SPAN ESTWM8::hevans

Five exclamation marks, the sure sign of an insane mind.
(Terry Pratchett, Reaper man)

Bill Sharp

Feb 10, 1993, 8:52:48 AM2/10/93
Pterry, having caved in to temptation and hooked up, sparks off the concern of
his avid fans about the likely downturn in his production of books, who should
take heart in the fact that at least he's posting to the net a lot more now ...

btw - if you wanna test 'talk', you're most welcome any time, just:
talk w...@oak22.doc.ic.ac.uk or talk w...@146.169.17.22. Offer only
applies to people who write discworld books, sorry!

Bill

--
\/ _\|/_ Bill Sharp 'Students?' barked the Archchancellor.
-- /.\ /.\ w...@doc.ic.ac.uk 'Yes, Master. You know? They're the thinner ones

G Kerr

Feb 11, 1993, 5:51:19 AM2/11/93

And I'll be the second...

As twoflower on mono, I think it only right that I should after all...

To get into mono in the UK either PAD to 000041002300, select mono, then mono
for login, mono for password.
Or telnet to mono.city.ac.uk and login as mono, password mono...

You will need to log in as a guest for the first time, but email monadm@city
to get an account.

Just mail him saying that you want a mono account give him a name and a passwd
and a few days (Weeks, decades...) later you get a nice little account...

Gav

g...@dcs.ed.ac.uk gk...@nyx.cs.du.edu twof...@ed.ac.uk
g...@castle.ed.ac.uk g...@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us g...@ed.ac.uk

SKYDIVERS go in harder
Todays assembler command : SOT Sit on a tack
Is as useful as A knitted light bulb
For information on this .sig generator mail me as :
root.ho...@dcs.Peevish.Bible.Institute.ac.uk

G.P. Sereno

Feb 11, 1993, 8:28:50 AM2/11/93
In article <1993Feb8.1...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU>, cro...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU (Matthew Crosby) writes:
> In article <memo....@cix.compulink.co.uk> tprat...@cix.compulink.co.uk writes:
> >Okay...I've joined Demon's tenner-a-month deal which gives me full net
> >access. I can't say when I'll be setting up -- it's a busy week ahead -- but
> >with any luck the monkey gets the key to the banana plantation by the end of
> >the week.
> >
> Oh dear. Terry, listen closely. On no account:
> a) Play muds
> b) Play empire or netrek
> c) Use IRC
>
> These are all VERY boring and you won't like them at all. You will find it
> MUCH more fun writing more books for us. Ok? :-)

Oh dear, bit of a square aren't we. Muds are great fun (depending which one you use) but they will occupy large quantities of your time, so if time is money to you, don't bother, otherwise, try some out.

> (On the other hand, if you need to test out your talk program, please feel
> free to talk to me. I wouldn't mind a bit :-)
>
> More seriously, cool!
> --
> -Matt
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the net!
> mcr...@nyx.cs.du.edu -or- cro...@cs.colorado.edu

* Shemah Yisroel Addonni Elohainoo Addonni Echad *
* Baruch Shaimkavod Machultov Luollam Va'ed *
Gary Sereno (a.k.a. Dapper(man)) Janet: u2...@uk.ac.liverpool.compsci
Dept. of Computer Science, I'net: u2...@compsci.liverpool.ac.uk
Liverpool University, PO Box 147, Liverpool, L69 3BX

Iain McCord

Feb 11, 1993, 11:39:50 AM2/11/93
Terry Pratchett (Ter...@unseen.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: I hope that's sorted out now. As to whether all this will stop me writing,
Shouldn't it read Discorganised?
: Terry

~~~~~/\~~~~~
Iain McCord ~~~~/()\~~~~ Thu Feb 11 16:39:48 WET 1993
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Fox

Feb 12, 1993, 11:20:47 PM2/12/93
Whiplash (whi...@dcs.warwick.ac.uk) wrote:
> In article <729255...@unseen.demon.co.uk> tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk writes:
> >Okay---I'm HERE.
>
> Just cos I'm curious - are you likely to try any of these MUD/talkers being
> suggested to you Terry? Or are you not into that kind of thing?
>
> ~Whippy

Much as I hate to go against freedom of speach and all that...

Whippy, SHUT UP!

Mike
--
|\_/| F
\O O/ O "To be or not to be... Who's askin'?"

Daniel R Barlow

Feb 13, 1993, 1:20:44 PM2/13/93

Great! After viewing only fifteen followups I finally get to see this
article. And my newsreader seems to have screwed up somewhere along the
line, because it looks like it was written by cro...@ucsu.Colorado.EDU :-)

Daniel "did you know rn stands for re-annual?"

--
Daniel Barlow, | Pilot did this song in a plane like that one
jo9...@ox.ac.uk | She is selling faith on a hotel crusade

Ulrich Schreglmann

Feb 15, 1993, 7:50:21 AM2/15/93

>>[...]

>>with any luck the monkey gets the key to the banana plantation by the end of
>>the week.

>Oh boy oh boy oh boy
>Does this mean that:
> a) No more Discworld?
> b) Another MUD addict to join the hordes?

But WHAT a MUD addict! I would really like to inspect some of His cas-
tles from the inside:

"There is also: a Gnu.

} get gnu
} wield gnu
[...]
} shoot felon with gnu

The Gnu kicked you in the stomach when you mistook his genitals for the
trigger.
Sorry, you appear to be dead."

May the Cool Be with You!

(C)OOL mcmxciii

Jon Roch-berry

Feb 16, 1993, 11:24:22 AM2/16/93
>> Oh dear. Terry, listen closely. On no account:
>> a) Play muds
>> b) Play empire or netrek
>> c) Use IRC
>>
>> These are all VERY boring and you won't like them at all. You will find it
>> MUCH more fun writing more books for us. Ok? :-)
>
>Oh dear, bit of a square aren't we. Muds are great fun (depending which one you use) but they will occupy large quantities of your time, so if time is money to you, don't bother, otherwise, try some out.

Oh dear, who can't recognise irony when it jumps up, bites him on the bottom,
and scampers away laughing?

Sometimes I think people jst turn off their intelligence chip and read
everything literally. I mean, if we did that with Terry's books we wouldn't
get a fifth of the enjoyment.

Maybe we need a net annotation file.

We could have something really obvious like

"When that bloke said Terry shouldn't play a MUD because they're boring, it was
a joke, cos if Terry spends all his time playing MUDs he won't write us any
more books. Geddit? Geddit?"

Oh dear, please pass me that rubber chicken, I feel the need to beat myself
senseless with it whilst singing the birdy song.

--
+------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+
| J o n a t h a n R o c h - B e r r y | Insert witty |

mariofa...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2020, 6:52:58 PM3/28/20
Man, it's actually Terry Prachett! RIP

Lewis

Mar 28, 2020, 9:12:48 PM3/28/20
It was fun when he posted here.

--
They say whisky'll kill you, but I don't think it will I'm ridin'
with you to the top of the hill

Dom

Apr 4, 2020, 3:44:27 AM4/4/20
Yep. Those were good days :)

Kerr-Mudd,John

Nov 6, 2020, 3:49:59 PM11/6/20
Is the archive available? I guess so, if the mariofanboy can get it.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

ppin...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2020, 9:50:28 PM12/15/20
- somelots via www.lspace.org, which had/may still have mirrorsites;

- since the junking of deja.com's computers complete with their data,
such as hadn't by then been picked up by google.com or anyone else
is, iiuc, gorn.

- ''eheu.''

- love, ppint.
--
decadence, n: the finest flowering of civilisation