[ANNOUNCE] *R* Terry Pratchett TV interview

Terry Pratchett

May 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/12/96

In article <831969...@eniac.demon.co.uk>
wwoo...@aol.com "WWoodvine" writes:

> I believe that an interveiw with Terry will be broadcast next sunday (19
> may) on BBC 2 (UK) on the childrens program Fully Booked . As I was
> reading the paper at the time, I'm not sure if I heard this correctly. He
> was referred to, though, as ' leading children's author' !

I hope it's correct, 'cos I got to go and record it this week.

As for "leading children's author", well, it's like this...

There have been seven books for kids and several have been shortlisted for
biggie awards and one even won, which was amazing because there
was hardly any mention of serial killers, child abuse or inner city grit it
it. And they sell a lot. So I can probably hang in there.

But there is an in-built censor in the British
psyche that writing fantasy = bad, but writing of kids = okay. And we also
find it very hard to get our heads around the idea that someone can
write books aimed at two different ages groups. I get the
impression sometimes that I am being shifted 'down age' so that I can
be properly pigeonholed. When the children's books started to sell well I
got invited to lit fests -- the unwritten message being that it was okay
to invite a children's author but not okay to invite a fantasy writer, who
would probably be weird and attract the wrong sort.

Oh dear. If it wasn't for the fun and money, I really don't know why I'd
bother.

Terry Pratchett

WWoodvine

May 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/13/96

(Yup. I saw the trailer for this one as well. It's a phone in interview. The
"leading children's author" line was a bit dubious.. --mpk)

Submissions for alt.fan.pratchett.announce to: afpa...@lspace.org
All submissions are PGP signed. For Mike's key, finger m...@pobox.com.

Colm Buckley

May 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/14/96

> == Terry Pratchett <Ter...@unseen.demon.co.uk>

> [.. about writing ...]

> Oh dear. If it wasn't for the fun and money, I really
> don't know why I'd bother.

Damn... another keyboard ruined. Terry, you're a genius.

Colm

--
Colm Buckley B.F. | EMail: Colm.B...@tcd.ie Phone: (+353 1) 6082336
Computer Science Dept | WWW: http://isg.cs.tcd.ie/cbuckley/

Colin Rosenthal

May 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/15/96

On Sun, 12 May 96 22:54:17 GMT, Terry Pratchett <Ter...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Oh dear. If it wasn't for the fun and money, I really don't know why I'd
>bother.
>

>Terry Pratchett

I need a new mailsig. Dibs on the last sentence.

--Colin Rosenthal | ``Don't smell the flowers -
--rose...@obs.aau.dk | They're an evil drug -
--http://www.obs.aau.dk/~rosentha | To make you lose your mind''-
--Aarhus University, Denmark | Ronnie James Dio, 1983 -

Stephen Judd

May 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/20/96

In article <4na3mc$s...@news.cs.tcd.ie>, cbuc...@cs.tcd.ie (Colm Buckley) wrote:

> > == Terry Pratchett <Ter...@unseen.demon.co.uk>
>
> > [.. about writing ...]
>

> > Oh dear. If it wasn't for the fun and money, I really
> > don't know why I'd bother.
>

> Damn... another keyboard ruined. Terry, you're a genius.
>
> Colm

"None but a blockhead would write, except for money."

S Johnson.

--
"I think you've said the opposite of | Stephen Judd, School of Education,
what you mean. Assuming that is the | University of Waikato, New Zealand.

RiffRaff

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

In article <831941...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Ter...@unseen.demon.co.uk wrote:

> I hope it's correct, 'cos I got to go and record it this week.
>
> As for "leading children's author", well, it's like this...
>
> There have been seven books for kids and several have been shortlisted for
> biggie awards and one even won, which was amazing because there
> was hardly any mention of serial killers, child abuse or inner city grit it
> it. And they sell a lot. So I can probably hang in there.
>
> But there is an in-built censor in the British
> psyche that writing fantasy = bad, but writing of kids = okay. And we also
> find it very hard to get our heads around the idea that someone can
> write books aimed at two different ages groups. I get the
> impression sometimes that I am being shifted 'down age' so that I can
> be properly pigeonholed. When the children's books started to sell well I
> got invited to lit fests -- the unwritten message being that it was okay
> to invite a children's author but not okay to invite a fantasy writer, who
> would probably be weird and attract the wrong sort.
>
> Oh dear. If it wasn't for the fun and money, I really don't know why I'd
> bother.
>

> Terry Pratchett

Hmm. I wonder if Roald Dahl had these kind of problems, writing "James and
the Giant Peach" with one hand, and "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" with the
other...

--Riff