[A] The Luggage

elfin

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

I`ve just stared to read through the discworld books again
and a thought came to me with reference to the Luggage.
Now this might have been talked about before but it is not
in the annoted file, but of course it might be stating the
bleeding obvious, which would mean that I have been
incredibly dense.

Anyway back to the subject :

To me,The Luggage seems to be a charictisation of a
Batman, that is the personal military servant of an officer
in the British Forces & not the caped crusader.Their role
involved duties such as laying out freshly washed &
ironed shirts for their officers.

So am I being dense or have others thought this as well?

elfin

--
Do mice think that bats are Angels?

Kirrily 'Skud' Robert

Feb 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/17/98

In article <6ccphp$np3$1...@library.lspace.org>, elfin wrote:

>To me,The Luggage seems to be a charictisation of a
>Batman, that is the personal military servant of an officer
>in the British Forces & not the caped crusader.Their role
>involved duties such as laying out freshly washed &
>ironed shirts for their officers.

Ah! I've always wondered why the founder of our fair city (Welcome to
Melbourne, citie of one thousande, um, trams, mostly) was called John
Batman. I didn't *think* the superhero predated Melbourne (1835 IIRC)
nor did I think that the aforementioned founder was of the vampiric
persuasion, so I just couldn't figure out what his name meant. Unless
it was something to do with cricket...[0]

Wrt the luggage - did the batman's duties include following people
everywhere and eating anyone who got in his way? If not, then there's
probably no more relation between batmen and luggage than there is
with valets or any other kind of personal servant.

Skud

[0] Welllll... Batman Avenue does go right by the MCG. Or near it. Or
something.

--
Kirrily "Skud" Robert (sk...@monash.edu.au)
http://w3.cc.monash.edu.au/~krobert/

Angua

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

In article <slrn6ek8v2....@silas.cc.monash.edu.au>, Kirrily
'Skud' Robert <kro...@silas.cc.monash.edu.au> writes

>In article <6ccphp$np3$1...@library.lspace.org>, elfin wrote:
>>
>>To me,The Luggage seems to be a charictisation of a
>>Batman, that is the personal military servant of an officer
>>in the British Forces & not the caped crusader.Their role
>>involved duties such as laying out freshly washed &
>>ironed shirts for their officers.

I always thought he began after terry saw someone struggling with a
wheeled suitcase on a railway platform or in an airport. The scene was
so funny that Terry invented the Luggage.
--
Angua

The only werewolf who loves nibbling a Carrot

http://www.quizlady.demon.co.uk

Dick Eney

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

In article <WuRkfIA0...@quizlady.demon.co.uk>,

Angua <an...@quizlady.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>I always thought he began after terry saw someone struggling with a
>wheeled suitcase on a railway platform or in an airport. The scene was
>so funny that Terry invented the Luggage.

The version ISTR from lspace is that Terry saw a woman pulling a wheeled
suitcase (one of the early ones with the tiny wheels) along a cobblestone
street, oblivious to the way it was bouncing around behind her as though
it were alive.

But the real question is (asked by The Real Dick Eney[tm], Feb 16, 1998):
If you picked the fruit of a sapient pear tree, what would it taste
like?

=Tamar

Kevin Hackett

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

Dick Eney <dick...@access1.digex.net> wrote in article
<6cf6qc$d...@access1.digex.net>...

> But the real question is (asked by The Real Dick Eney[tm], Feb 16, 1998):

> If you picked the fruit of a sapient pear tree, what would it taste
> like?

You never get the chance to find out, because the tree would beat you up
and take it back. Either that or the pear would run away.

Mind you, if you did actually eat it, imagine having an indestructible,
intelligent and psychopathic fruit inside your stomach. Indigestion?

Cheers, (burp)
Kevin
If you really want it, go for it.
If you really hate it, run for it
If you just broke it, pay for it

T J Wilkinson

Feb 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/18/98

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998 19:43:10 -0000, "elfin" <elf...@email.msn.com>
wrote:

>Anyway back to the subject :
>
>To me,The Luggage seems to be a charictisation of a
>Batman, that is the personal military servant of an officer
>in the British Forces & not the caped crusader.Their role
>involved duties such as laying out freshly washed &
>ironed shirts for their officers.

I don't think batmen were noted for randomly eating people, endangered
species, and spell books. Or sidling up to people in bars and forcing
people to supply them with beer. Or terrorising innocent mercenaries.

There is the general idea that the Luggage serves his master in
various ways, like supplying fresh laundry, carrying things and
savagely tearing to shreds anyone who threatens its master but there
are many other jobs besides batmen that involve being a personal
servant, and I don't think Rincewind quite fits the image of a dashing
British military officer, or indeed any British military officer.

So, an innovative suggestion, but I must venture to disagree with you.

Tracy

--
tajw...@ihug.co.nz (remove i if replying via e-mail)
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tajwileb/

Charley Cowie

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

T J Wilkinson <tajw...@ihug.co.nzi> wrote in article
<34ec5f87...@news.lspace.org>...
<SNIP>

> There is the general idea that the Luggage serves his master in
> various ways, like supplying fresh laundry, carrying things and
> savagely tearing to shreds anyone who threatens its master but there
> are many other jobs besides batmen that involve being a personal
> servant, and I don't think Rincewind quite fits the image of a dashing
> British military officer, or indeed any British military officer.
>
> So, an innovative suggestion, but I must venture to disagree with you.
>
> Tracy
>
> --
> tajw...@ihug.co.nz (remove i if replying via e-mail)
> http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tajwileb/
> "Time paradoxes will have given me a headache."

Lets face it. If Rincewind WAS a British Army officer, we'd all be speaking
Irish today......

Charles Spalton

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

Charley Cowie wrote in message <01bd3d26$85021640$2b6525ca@default>...

<SNIP>

>Lets face it. If Rincewind WAS a British Army officer, we'd all be speaking
>Irish today......

Possibly, although I think personally that we'd more likely be speaking
Welsh..., although, given some of the things that have happened in the army
over the years, they may actually have a Rincewind.

Charles.

Charley Cowie

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

Lets face this too....If Cohen was in the New Zealand Army, You'd be
talking Maori....LOL

David Lees

Feb 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/21/98

Jason wrote in message <6cn5p1$pvc$3...@odyssey.apana.org.au>...
><cut cut cut...ouch>

>>But the real question is (asked by The Real Dick Eney[tm], Feb 16, 1998):
>> If you picked the fruit of a sapient pear tree, what would it taste
>>like?
>

>It would taste purple, high #C-ish.
C#, like Jack in Lord of the flies.

Jason

Feb 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/22/98

CATHERINE ALEXANDRA PAFORT

Feb 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/23/98

Tracy wrote:

>>To me,The Luggage seems to be a charictisation of a
>>Batman, that is the personal military servant of an officer
>>in the British Forces & not the caped crusader.Their role
>>involved duties such as laying out freshly washed &
>>ironed shirts for their officers.
>
>I don't think batmen were noted for randomly eating people, endangered
>species, and spell books. Or sidling up to people in bars and forcing
>people to supply them with beer. Or terrorising innocent mercenaries.

Three out of five ain't bad, is it?

>There is the general idea that the Luggage serves his master in
>various ways, like supplying fresh laundry, carrying things and
>savagely tearing to shreds anyone who threatens its master but there
>are many other jobs besides batmen that involve being a personal
>servant, and I don't think Rincewind quite fits the image of a dashing
>British military officer, or indeed any British military officer.

Definitely agree. Rincewind and discipline don't quite go together.

But what is the origin of the luggage? It's always reminded me of a large dog,
alsatian or the likes - and since you can issue your dog with a pack for
carrying, that doesn't seem too far removed from reality.
Of course, the enclosed space that is larger on the inside than on the outside,
and you can find lots of weird and wonderful things you'd never expect- hm,
that somewhat reminds me of my room...

Catja
aka PerditaX

Catja

Bart van Velsen

Feb 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/23/98

In article CATHERINE ALEXANDRA PAFORT says...

> But what is the origin of the luggage? It's always reminded me of a large dog,
> alsatian or the likes - and since you can issue your dog with a pack for
> carrying, that doesn't seem too far removed from reality.

See the beginning of the thread, or if you can't get that:
PTerry saw a woman struggling with a suitcase on wheels,
which bounced on the cobblestones like it was alive & kicking.

--
Bart van Velsen

SQUEEAK EEK, SQUEE EEK :
'It doesn't matter whether you believe in reincarnation
The point is, does reincarnation believe in you!'

Joseph William Dixon

Feb 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/23/98

On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:40:26 +0100, gi...@casema.net wrote:
: See the beginning of the thread, or if you can't get that:

: PTerry saw a woman struggling with a suitcase on wheels,
: which bounced on the cobblestones like it was alive & kicking.

"Many years ago I saw, in Bath, a very large American lady towing a _huge_
tartan suitcase very fast on little rattly wheels which caught in the
pavement cracks and generally gave it a life of its own. At that moment
the Luggage was born. Many thanks to that lady..."
(from the dedication for Sourcery [which I just bought today])

/===== Joseph W. Dixon ==== Team *AMIGA* ==== -*[Gumby]*- =====\
\= aa...@chebucto.ns.ca === http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~aa343/ =/

Bart van Velsen

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

Joseph William Dixon says...

> "Many years ago I saw, in Bath, a very large American lady towing a _huge_
> tartan suitcase very fast on little rattly wheels which caught in the
> pavement cracks and generally gave it a life of its own. At that moment
> the Luggage was born. Many thanks to that lady..."
> (from the dedication for Sourcery [which I just bought today])

So that's where I've read it, I recently read Sourcery and I couldn't
remember where I read the bit of the luggage. Btw...Sourcery RULES !!!
--
Bart van Velsen

Dock-a-loodle-fod!
Visit my Discworld site at www.casema.net/~gizmo/

Andy

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

In article <6cs9ed$3ac$2...@infoserv.aber.ac.uk>,

CATHERINE ALEXANDRA PAFORT <ca...@aber.ac.uk> wrote:
>But what is the origin of the luggage? It's always reminded me of a large dog,
>alsatian or the likes - and since you can issue your dog with a pack for
>carrying, that doesn't seem too far removed from reality.
>Of course, the enclosed space that is larger on the inside than on the outside
>and you can find lots of weird and wonderful things you'd never expect- hm,
>that somewhat reminds me of my room...
>
>Catja

Hmmm.... Well, Twoflower said he got it from a magic shop. But in Intersting
Times, you see it is not at all unique. In fact common from Twoflower's home
(whose name escapes me at the moment).
But it's made from sapient Pearwood and so just does whatever it feels like
anyway. But is rather like a dog in that it will follow its master anywhere
in space and time...

andy

Understanding is a three-edged sword...

Dick Eney

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

In article <6cujqc$45t$1...@osfb.aber.ac.uk>, Andy <ad...@aber.ac.uk> wrote:
>CATHERINE ALEXANDRA PAFORT <ca...@aber.ac.uk> wrote:
>> But what is the origin of the luggage? It's always reminded me of a
>> large dog, alsatian or the likes - and since you can issue your dog
>> with a pack for carrying, that doesn't seem too far removed from reality.
>> Of course, the enclosed space that is larger on the inside than on the
>> outside and you can find lots of weird and wonderful things you'd never
>> expect-
>
>Hmmm.... Well, Twoflower said he got it from a magic shop. But in Intersting
>Times, you see it is not at all unique. In fact common from Twoflower's home

Twoflower got _his_ from a wandering shop; that might explain why it is
so different from the others.

>But it's made from sapient Pearwood and so just does whatever it feels like
>anyway. But is rather like a dog in that it will follow its master anywhere
>in space and time...

Considering how much an alsatian (or other large dog) eats, the size of
the interior isn't that far off either. Also the strange things some
large dogs eat...

Is Sapient Pearwood a relative of Dogwood?

<g,d,r>
=Tamar

glenys williams

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

On 24 Feb 1998 11:11:59 -0500, Dick Eney wrote:

>Is Sapient Pearwood a relative of Dogwood?
>
><g,d,r>

Dunno. Depends on how similar the barks are, I suppose

<g, d,and r even faster>

Glenys
put my first name and pop.onwe in the relevant places

Walker

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

In the candlelit library of the darkened Keep, a book flicks open
to a page where myn...@replace.this.co.za (glenys williams) has
written...

>On 24 Feb 1998 11:11:59 -0500, Dick Eney wrote:
>
>>Is Sapient Pearwood a relative of Dogwood?
>>
>><g,d,r>
>
>Dunno. Depends on how similar the barks are, I suppose
>
><g, d,and r even faster>

Doesn't Piers Anthony have a copyright on this sort of thing? ;)

[The candle flickers as Walker once again resumes his poring over
the Histories] Walker -==(UDIC)==-

To mail me (I wish ;): Change the spam.disembowelling to shannara

James Forrester

Feb 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/25/98

<URL:mailto:ad...@aber.ac.uk> wrote:
> In article <6cs9ed$3ac$2...@infoserv.aber.ac.uk>,

> CATHERINE ALEXANDRA PAFORT <ca...@aber.ac.uk> wrote:
> >But what is the origin of the luggage?

[snip]

> Hmmm.... Well, Twoflower said he got it from a magic shop. But in Intersting
> Times, you see it is not at all unique. In fact common from Twoflower's home

> (whose name escapes me at the moment).

Hmm...I was under the impression that the Luggage was an extra special variety of
sapient-pearwood objects which are extra-specially intelligent. Or maybe I'm just
wrong...

Ah well
--
James D. M. Forrester
Home Also at

AcornCodev1.02: A2 rpc7sa/I1g/S1g/34/Icd8/m3 a3000/I500m/8/Scd2- ed+++ dc250 nl+
pc-- pr+ wb++ an #acS AW- !F RH-- bbs

Kieran M. O'Callaghan

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998 20:18:47 +0000, James Forrester
<ja...@jdmf.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Hmm...I was under the impression that the Luggage was an extra special variety of
>sapient-pearwood objects which are extra-specially intelligent. Or maybe I'm just
>wrong...

I think the Luggage is surely something more than all the other
luggages in IT. After all, it managed to thrash three other, rather
large, luggages. Twoflower said that it had always seemed slightly
warped. Well, anyway, in my mind there's only one Luggage.

--
Kieran O'Callaghan
kie...@tiac.net

E.P.D.C...@durham.ac.uk

Feb 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/26/98

I imagine the luggage to be a bit like a suitcase version of Greebo.
Greebo is a cat yet he towers above, in realness terms, all the other
cats. In the same way the luggage seems to be a larger than life
version of the more boring animated suitcases in the Agatean empire.
Maybe the luggage is a rogue version of the normal walking suitcases.
It might have turned to a life of viciously protecting its owner after
some horrible magical accient. Just a thought, ok, don't laugh at me.
:-)

Edward
--
----- Edward Morgan --------- *
*

David Silberstein

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

In article <6ct1ah$4bu$2...@News.Dal.Ca>,

Joseph William Dixon <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>On Mon, 23 Feb 1998 19:40:26 +0100, gi...@casema.net wrote:
>: See the beginning of the thread, or if you can't get that:
>: PTerry saw a woman struggling with a suitcase on wheels,
>: which bounced on the cobblestones like it was alive & kicking.
>
>"Many years ago I saw, in Bath, a very large American lady towing a _huge_
>tartan suitcase very fast on little rattly wheels which caught in the
>pavement cracks and generally gave it a life of its own. At that moment
>the Luggage was born. Many thanks to that lady..."
> (from the dedication for Sourcery [which I just bought today])

OK, so am I the only one who seems to have heard Pterry's explanation
of how the luggage developed further (presumably after seeing the suitcase
mentioned above) while he was really into Dungeons & Dragons, and was
being a really utter Dungeon Master (DM)?

IIRC, it went something like this (from his signing in Seattle, Oct 1996):

As part of D&D campaigns, the players naturally want to gather lots and
lots of treasure. This allows them to buy more and better equipment,
gain hit points, and generally advance in the game. They also want
to be able to carry their cool and useful equipment around, but there
do tend to be encumbrance penalties.

Given that a DM's role is to make things more *interesting*, Pterry
hit upon the following idea: He would let the players find a very
useful trunk with legs (the homicidal tendencies were not evident
in this revision), which was much bigger on the inside than it was
on the outside.

So we have this trunk that was so *very* useful. Naturally, all the
players did in fact store treasure and equipment in it, and commanded
it to follow them around.

The trunk did have one *little* quirk, though: unless *specifically*
ordered, it would tend to go straight ahead, until it hit a wall,
which would make it stop.

And naturally, when you are underground, and having confrontations
with trolls and orcs and bugbears and ghouls and demons and
unidentifiable wossnames with way too many eyes and/or legs and/or
arms and/or teeth (usually dripping with venomous slime), little
details like telling the trunk to stop or change direction sort
of got lost.

Now, you could try and figure out where the trunk had gone, and
follow it after successfully defeating the nasties that had caused
the original problem, only to find out that it was currently being
guarded by much nastier nasties than the ones you had just met...

I think Pterry had lots of fun as a DM (he told a couple more stories
about his campaigns as a DM, both very funny indeed - I may try to
retell them if I have time and there is interest).

--
David S

Dick Eney

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

In article <Ep5wB...@kithrup.com>,

David Silberstein <dav...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>Joseph William Dixon <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote:
>>
>>"Many years ago I saw, in Bath, a very large American lady towing a _huge_
>>tartan suitcase very fast on little rattly wheels which caught in the
>>pavement cracks and generally gave it a life of its own. At that moment
>>the Luggage was born. Many thanks to that lady..."
>> (from the dedication for Sourcery [which I just bought today])
>
>OK, so am I the only one who seems to have heard Pterry's explanation
>of how the luggage developed further (presumably after seeing the suitcase
>mentioned above) while he was really into Dungeons & Dragons, and was
>being a really utter Dungeon Master (DM)?
>
>IIRC, it went something like this (from his signing in Seattle, Oct 1996):
<snip fascinating tidbit on Terry's early development of the Luggage>

>The trunk did have one *little* quirk, though: unless *specifically*
>ordered, it would tend to go straight ahead, until it hit a wall,
>which would make it stop.

Hmm. There seems to be a bit of this trait active in TLF.

>I think Pterry had lots of fun as a DM (he told a couple more stories
>about his campaigns as a DM, both very funny indeed - I may try to
>retell them if I have time and there is interest).

I'd be interested but it's up to you... mind you, I don't know what Pterry
would say about it.

=Tamar

Angua

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

In article <6ddm71$9...@access5.digex.net>, Dick Eney

>>I think Pterry had lots of fun as a DM (he told a couple more stories
>>about his campaigns as a DM, both very funny indeed - I may try to
>>retell them if I have time and there is interest).
>
>I'd be interested but it's up to you... mind you, I don't know what Pterry
>would say about it.
>
>=Tamar
I too would be interested.

Patrick Dersjant

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

On 2 Mar 1998 02:13:37 -0500, dick...@access5.digex.net (Dick Eney)
created:

>David Silberstein <dav...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>
>>OK, so am I the only one who seems to have heard Pterry's explanation
>>of how the luggage developed further (presumably after seeing the suitcase
>>mentioned above) while he was really into Dungeons & Dragons, and was
>>being a really utter Dungeon Master (DM)?

><snip fascinating tidbit on Terry's early development of the Luggage>

>>The trunk did have one *little* quirk, though: unless *specifically*
>>ordered, it would tend to go straight ahead, until it hit a wall,
>>which would make it stop.
>
>Hmm. There seems to be a bit of this trait active in TLF.

First of all, I'd be interested in more stories like this from
PTerry's DM days.

But the main reason for this post: Is it just me, or do others out
there also think that Raymond Feist's Midkemia books (Magician and the
whole lot) might be based on a RPG campaign. I really enjoyed those
books, and still do when re-reading them, but I cannot get rid of the
feeling that there's dices in there somewhere - what with affairs in
the storyline turning around completely unexpectedly. It *could* just
have been some RPG campaign, which has been novelized[1].

Anyone for comments?

Patrick Dersjant

[1] If this is not a proper English word, it should become one.
--
'Of course, you may not believe me, in which case I will cry all
afternoon.' - Terry Pratchett on alt.books.pratchett

---AFP Code 1.1 AC d s-:+ a- U+ R+ F h- P- OS+:+ !C MAB pp--- L+ c+ B+ Cn
PT--- Pu58- 5+ X MT e+++ r- y? afp code end---

Staffan Johansson

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

On Mon, 02 Mar 1998 18:10:09 GMT, at...@ireland.demon.nl (Patrick
Dersjant) wrote:

>But the main reason for this post: Is it just me, or do others out
>there also think that Raymond Feist's Midkemia books (Magician and the
>whole lot) might be based on a RPG campaign. I really enjoyed those
>books, and still do when re-reading them, but I cannot get rid of the
>feeling that there's dices in there somewhere - what with affairs in
>the storyline turning around completely unexpectedly. It *could* just
>have been some RPG campaign, which has been novelized[1].

The Midkemia books Feist wrote are indeed set in the same world as a
RPG campaign, but they are set about 500 years before the campaign
itself. For more info, see:
http://reality.sgi.com/rchiang/Feist-FAQ.html#RPG

--
Staffan Johansson (d9...@efd.lth.se)
Decadence is its own reward

Paul E. Jamison, Esq.

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

On 2 Mar 1998 02:13:37 -0500, a little light bulb went on over the
head of Tamar (dick...@access5.digex.net),
and she wrote thus and so to alt.fan.pratchett:

>In article <Ep5wB...@kithrup.com>,
>David Silberstein <dav...@kithrup.com> wrote:

[snip for JUSTICE!]

>>I think Pterry had lots of fun as a DM (he told a couple more stories
>>about his campaigns as a DM, both very funny indeed - I may try to
>>retell them if I have time and there is interest).

>I'd be interested but it's up to you... mind you, I don't know what Pterry
>would say about it.

I may as well add my voice to the growing clamour and say that I'd be
interested in hearing more. Again, it would depend on how Pterry
feels about it.

I've gamed very little myself -- about a handful of times. The best
story I can tell -- to brag a bit and what else is Usenet for? -- is
about the time I was a biker/mechanic in a post-collapse Los Angeles.
I managed to kill a ninja with a crescent wrench. I was known as "Mr.
Goodwrench" in the local gaming community for -- oh, I'd say several
weeks after that.

Paul E. Jamison, Esq.
--

The Official Michelena Riosa Testosterone Brigade
Undersecretary in Charge of the Irish Question

Andrew Brown

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

>>David Silberstein <dav...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>
>[snip for JUSTICE!]
>
>>>I think Pterry had lots of fun as a DM (he told a couple more stories
>>>about his campaigns as a DM, both very funny indeed - I may try to
>>>retell them if I have time and there is interest).
>
>I may as well add my voice to the growing clamour and say that I'd be
>interested in hearing more. Again, it would depend on how Pterry
>feels about it.
>
>I've gamed very little myself -- about a handful of times. The best
>story I can tell -- to brag a bit and what else is Usenet for? -- is
>about the time I was a biker/mechanic in a post-collapse Los Angeles.
>I managed to kill a ninja with a crescent wrench. I was known as "Mr.
>Goodwrench" in the local gaming community for -- oh, I'd say several
>weeks after that.
>
>Paul E. Jamison, Esq.

I'd be interested too! I've played several different RPGs, I think my fave
shot was in AD&D when I got a T Rex through the eye with a spear, on a roll
of 20, and killed it in one shot - much to the disgust of the DM who hoped
it
would last longer! Most fun game I've played I think would be the
Super-heroes stuff we did, favourite character would be my bear-were in
Shadowrun! She's currently walking round in human form at about 9' dressed
in
a black hooded robe with a Dikoted scythe 7 or 8 foot long!!

Jan B (not Andrew)

PS apologies for all the snips but the server keeps telling me I can't post
as the original is longer than my message!

Benoit_Poste

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

Andrew Brown wrote:

> >I may as well add my voice to the growing clamour and say that I'd be
> >interested in hearing more. Again, it would depend on how Pterry
> >feels about it.

<sounds of frantic sniping>

> I'd be interested too! I've played several different RPGs, I think my fave

Well 2 things I guess ...
- First, I'd be interested too i hearing about these Pterry as GM
stories ... or maybe they are on the lspace ... couldn't find them
though.

- Second, speaking of roleplaying games, does anyone know how much
Pterry has involved himself in GURPS Discworld which should be out soon
... with any luck (well a lot of luck actually) ? I mean ... I heard he
got really involved in the DW computer games ... I fear a bit the result
of GURPS Discworld if it isn't the case there.

And no I won't tell you about my best experience(s) of rpgs, I guess
you don't give a dang ... and neither would I actually ;). I'd also have
to admit I'm too lazy to try to recall any, much too many of them ;).

--
Benoit Poste
/>________________________________________________

Staffan Johansson

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

On Wed, 04 Mar 1998 19:57:34 +0900, Benoit_Poste
<bpo...@cs.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> Well 2 things I guess ...
>- First, I'd be interested too i hearing about these Pterry as GM
>stories ... or maybe they are on the lspace ... couldn't find them
>though.

Let me AOL this.

>- Second, speaking of roleplaying games, does anyone know how much
>Pterry has involved himself in GURPS Discworld which should be out soon
>... with any luck (well a lot of luck actually) ? I mean ... I heard he
>got really involved in the DW computer games ... I fear a bit the result
>of GURPS Discworld if it isn't the case there.

The web page about GURPS Discworld
(http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Discworld/) doesn't mention Pterry
as co-author, and neither does the main GURPS page. My educated guess
is that the thing will simply be brought before the mighty gaze of the
Master when it's finished, and then he will give his verdict on
whether it's OK or not.

Phil Masters

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

Staffan Johansson wrote:
> The web page about GURPS Discworld
> (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/Discworld/) doesn't mention Pterry
> as co-author, and neither does the main GURPS page.

They don't; really, they should. The cover will. (The title page will
explain things in slightly more detail.)

> ... My educated guess

> is that the thing will simply be brought before the mighty gaze of the
> Master when it's finished, and then he will give his verdict on
> whether it's OK or not.

It has been across the Great Man's hard disk, and been approved and
Attended To with all due seriousness. It was not considered "finished"
until that was Done.

--
Phil Masters
* Home Page: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Phil_Masters

Lisa McKay

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

Patrick Dersjant wrote in message <34faf1b1...@news.lspace.org>...
<snip, snip, snippety snip>

>It *could* just >have been some RPG campaign, which has been novelized[1].

>[1] If this is not a proper English word, it should become one.

It is.

to novelise - to mercilessly exploit a work of film or television for very
little money as a second rate paperback (usually) novel. (related to 'to
teatowelise - as above only with tea towels').

I used to work for a licensing agency which sold the rights to novelise
(non-merkian spelling, they do like they 'z's over there, don't they?)
television series, especially those made by Granada Television[2] and LWT
(Cracker, Wokenwell, Reckless etc, yes
they sold terribly well and made pots of money)[1]

Now I don't work for them and I am as happy as a someone who has just bought
a new Discworld(tm) book, and has lots of chocolate and a free afternoon.

HTH,

Lisa (who should really be getting on with something else but isn't.
Ooops.)
[1] Not.
[2]The people who have outlawed the term 'soap', they execute people for
using the word soap when they should have said 'drama serial'. And don't
ask about the Cadburys sponsorship of a certain drama serial....God, I am
glad that I am out of that.

Alan Exelby

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

Lisa McKay wrote:

> to novelise - to mercilessly exploit a work of film or television for very
> little money as a second rate paperback (usually) novel. (related to 'to
> teatowelise - as above only with tea towels').
>
> I used to work for a licensing agency which sold the rights to novelise
> (non-merkian spelling, they do like they 'z's over there, don't they?)
> television series, especially those made by Granada Television[2] and LWT
> (Cracker, Wokenwell, Reckless etc, yes
> they sold terribly well and made pots of money)[1]

I'd just like to put in a brief word of defence for the 'Star Trek'
novels. They are new stories in their own right, and some of them (only
some, I admit) are very good indeed. They are certainly not 'second-
rate'. The Babylon 5 ones are pretty good too. Can't speak for the
specific TV series you mention, though.

--
Alan Exelby. E-mail: a.ex...@uea.ac.uk
"... do as little harm as possible. We are creatures of a universe in

illum...@for-president.com

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

In article <889101593.16573.0...@news.demon.co.uk>,
"Lisa McKay" <lmc...@chisholmroth.com> wrote:

<merciless snip>

> [2]The people who have outlawed the term 'soap', they execute people for
> using the word soap when they should have said 'drama serial'. And don't
> ask about the Cadburys sponsorship of a certain drama serial....God, I am
> glad that I am out of that.

Anyone else remember the speech that someone made at the official announcing,
when they said they were sure it would now be a real "quality street"?

Quality Street, of course, being made by Mackintosh and not Cadbury's.

--
Ciaran.

Lisa McKay

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

Alan Exelby wrote in message <34FEC7...@uea.ac.uk>...
snipped bits of my stuff

>> Granada Television[2] and LWT
>> (Cracker, Wokenwell, Reckless etc, yes
>> they sold terribly well and made pots of money)[1]
>

>I'd just like to put in a brief word of defence for the 'Star Trek'
>novels. They are new stories in their own right, and some of them (only
>some, I admit) are very good indeed. They are certainly not 'second-
>rate'. The Babylon 5 ones are pretty good too. Can't speak for the
>specific TV series you mention, though.

And there we see one area where merkians do it better. Can't think of
another one though ;-}

Oh, yes. Sitcoms (currently, though this wasn't always the case), and
things (CDs, books) are cheaper there.

Oh, just forget what I just said then.

Lisa

Lisa McKay

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

Ciaran == Posted via Deja News,

>Anyone else remember the speech that someone made at the official
announcing,
>when they said they were sure it would now be a real "quality street"?
>
>Quality Street, of course, being made by Mackintosh and not Cadbury's.

That doesn't even begin to touch the tip of the iceberg of the nightmare.
Oh, dear,now they'll send Robbie Coltrane round to bounce on me until I
recant.

This is probably goodbye, then.

Time for Tubby-bye-byes.[1]

Lisa

[1] I used to be psychotic in the morning, but since I've started watching
T-Tubbies I am a little ray of sunshine. What does that say about my
psyche? Answers on a non-Cadburys (or Nestles)[2] chocolate bar.

[2]Nasty, nasty Nestles

illum...@for-president.com

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

In article <889134184.16706.0...@news.demon.co.uk>,
"Lisa McKay" <lmc...@chisholmroth.com> wrote:
<snip - tis the footnotes we're going for, then>

> [1] I used to be psychotic in the morning, but since I've started watching
> T-Tubbies I am a little ray of sunshine. What does that say about my
> psyche? Answers on a non-Cadburys (or Nestles)[2] chocolate bar.
>
> [2]Nasty, nasty Nestles

Couple of years ago my student's union was trying to get people to boycott
nestles...guess what the only brand of coffee the student's union shop carried
was?

--
Kloro Macree. Ex QUB casualty.

PostMaster

Mar 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/6/98

"Lisa McKay" <lmc...@chisholmroth.com> said ...
<BIG SNIP>

> I used to be psychotic in the morning, but since I've started watching
> T-Tubbies I am a little ray of sunshine. What does that say about my
> psyche? Answers on a non-Cadburys (or Nestles) chocolate bar.

I worked as a temp for a PR company that represented, amongst others,
Cadbury's. This was around the time they had their "Jewelled Egg"
promotion and loads of people were going round Britain getting the wrong
answers to clues in the treasure hunt and digging up places they shouldn't
(including the old artillery range on Pendle Hill, complete with UXBs
which was why the plug got pulled on that promotion).

> [2]Nasty, nasty Nestles

I don't know how much truth there is in this story but...
It is said that disgruntled Nestle employees who had previously been
happy Rowntree-Mackintosh employees let everyone know how they felt by
including the battle cry "Freedom for crispy bits" on Toffee Crisp
packaging. It was certainly there, and was originally hidden behind the
flap where the pack is sealed. It appears that later on someone twigged
what was going on 'cos the slogan was changed to "Free the crispy bits"
and put in plain view.

--
--Cyclops, Honorary Chiz of the Grate Order of Moles
Don't send post to Marvin - he can't read it!

Pope Jeremy I

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

On Fri, 06 Mar 1998 03:19:34 -0600, illum...@for-president.com
wrote:

>Couple of years ago my student's union was trying to get people to boycott
>nestles...guess what the only brand of coffee the student's union shop carried
>was?

Trick question - it's Starbucks. Why? Because Starbucks has run
every half-decent coffeeshop out of business and now there's nothing
else left. (not that I drink coffee, but I do ocassionally like to
drop into a coffeehouse for a cuppa cocoa.)

Pope Jeremy I ixo...@widomaker.com
"Do the firearms themselves come in designer colors?"
-Negativland

Duri Price

Mar 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/7/98

illum...@for-president.com wrote in article
<SNIPPAGE>>

> [2]Nasty, nasty Nestles

> Couple of years ago my student's union was trying to get people to
boycott
> nestles...guess what the only brand of coffee the student's union shop
carried
> was?

I bet *that* little uprising died a quick death :). Funny, though, only one
brand. No, wait, I forget, that probably wasn't in Seattle. The University
of Washington must have deals going with five of the top coffee companies
in the area. But then, this is a city where espresso stands can make money,
on street corners, in front of coffee houses.
--
Karyn
Ducunt volentem fata. nolentem trahunt

John Barberio

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

Duri Price wrote:

[snip story bout coffee]

> I bet *that* little uprising died a quick death :). Funny, though, only one
> brand. No, wait, I forget, that probably wasn't in Seattle. The University
> of Washington must have deals going with five of the top coffee companies
> in the area. But then, this is a city where espresso stands can make money,
> on street corners, in front of coffee houses.

Sounds vaugly like Oxford[1] then. Personaly, I find
that the stands make much better coffee than the
shops. They also put the suger in for you, instead
of giving you paper bags.

- J [a] (A Coffee Conisour)

[1] I gave up trying to work out how many places you
can get a proper espresso in oxford. [2]
[2] No, I dont count places like McDonalds

--
John Barberio =^.^= "The Future Is In Beta"- Wired
[a] 9729...@brookes.ac.uk E-Mail For PGP Public Key

Martyn Clapham

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

In article <65465421...@cyclops.force9.co.uk>, PostMaster
<postm...@cyclops.force9.co.uk> writes
[ hack ]

>I worked as a temp for a PR company that represented, amongst others,
>Cadbury's. This was around the time they had their "Jewelled Egg"
>promotion and loads of people were going round Britain getting the wrong
>answers to clues in the treasure hunt and digging up places they shouldn't
>(including the old artillery range on Pendle Hill, complete with UXBs

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>which was why the plug got pulled on that promotion).

Where was that then?

I've never heard of it and my family has lived round here for years,
also I don't remember seeing any no-go areas on maps of the hill.

Mart - The puzzled Pendlesider.
--
http://www.mclapham.demon.co.uk/index.htm Mobile 0410 468303
Member of LUHU, CJAS and MRTB, minion in charge of asset sharing.

Phill Evans

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98
>"Lisa McKay" <lmc...@chisholmroth.com> said ...
><BIG SNIP>
>> I used to be psychotic in the morning, but since I've started watching
>> T-Tubbies I am a little ray of sunshine. What does that say about my
>> psyche?

It means that you are very, very sad. Only you dont know it because of
the radio waves encoded in the Tellie Tubbies show, coming straight from
their antennae.......

--
Phill Evans

Wibble.

Phill Evans

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

In article <35034B...@brookes.ac.uk>, John Barberio
<9729...@brookes.ac.uk> writes

>Duri Price wrote:
>>
>[snip story bout coffee]
>Sounds vaugly like Oxford[1] then. Personaly, I find
>that the stands make much better coffee than the
>shops. They also put the suger in for you, instead
>of giving you paper bags.
Its true. Especially the one outside the westgate centre!
--
Phill Evans

PostMaster

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Martyn Clapham <mar...@mclapham.demon.co.uk> said ...
> [ hack ]
>
> >I worked as a temp for a PR company that represented, amongst others,
> >Cadbury's. This was around the time they had their "Jewelled Egg"
> >promotion and loads of people were going round Britain getting the wrong
> >answers to clues in the treasure hunt and digging up places they shouldn't
> >(including the old artillery range on Pendle Hill, complete with UXBs
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >which was why the plug got pulled on that promotion).
>
> Where was that then?
>
> I've never heard of it and my family has lived round here for years,
> also I don't remember seeing any no-go areas on maps of the hill.

I dunno to be honest. I just remember all these people rushing around like
blue-arsed flies trying to make the Cadbury's mob look like Caring 80s
People (TM). I think it was only small for a start and used for testing
small arms and hand-held bazookas (it it had only been bullets that people
could dig up I don't think there'd have been quite the fuss that there
was). This was nearly 15 years ago now (the Cadbury's promotion) and the
range had not been in use for some time at that point. Maybe it was one of
these places used during the War, never cleared up (or hushed up, come to
think of it) properly but ok for walking on - just not ok for digging up!
The only reason it stuck in my memory was that I had not long read Mist
Over Pendle when this all happened. And then, quite by coincidence I ended
up working with a Nutter a few months later.

--
--Cyclops, Honorary Chiz of the Grate Order of Moles
Don't send post to Marvin - he can't read it!

"Hoots mon! Weers me heed?" - Mary Queen of Scots

Lisa McKay

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Phill Evans wrote in message ...

>>"Lisa McKay" <lmc...@chisholmroth.com> said ...
>><BIG SNIP>
>>> I used to be psychotic in the morning, but since I've started watching
>>> T-Tubbies I am a little ray of sunshine. What does that say about my
>>> psyche?
>
>It means that you are very, very sad. Only you dont know it because of
>the radio waves encoded in the Tellie Tubbies show, coming straight from
>their antennae.......

But at least I don't want to hack my beloved into wee tiny pieces in the
morning, which was the response when a certain Large Morning Meal was on the
telly. Death to Johnny and Denise!!!!!!

I'm a bit concerned about the great big baby in the sky on the TTs though,
sinister, and the TTs always go tubby bye-byes when it chuckles at them,
there's a certain POWER there, I feel.

Still any show that can attract voice over people of Toyah and Eric Sykes
has to have something going for it, don't you think?

Back to the grindstone then.....

>Phill Evans
>
>Wibble.

Lisa

Random Companion

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Despite the evidence it is believed that Lisa McKay
<lmc...@chisholmroth.com> said the following:

>I'm a bit concerned about the great big baby in the sky on the TTs though,
>sinister, and the TTs always go tubby bye-byes when it chuckles at them,
>there's a certain POWER there, I feel.

What's really worrying is that Jason and Captain Sadness have come up
with theories to explain it all. And the Virgin NA, "Ghost Devices"
features some *very* familiar aliens...
--
Random Companion
http://www.panatropic.net/