[R](i think) Goons

Rowan Chadwick

Apr 30, 2001, 3:08:41 PM4/30/01
I found it interesting that they choose to interview Terry on the
documentarty about the goon show last night i havn't spotted many references
really but i'm about as far from being a goon expert as you could get
(before i start appraoching it from the other side if einstien was right).
are there many? also it was a shame there wasn't more of him but that life
eh

Sherilyn

Apr 30, 2001, 5:27:38 PM4/30/01
In Message-ID <IRiH6.18266$PP3.1...@nnrp3.clara.net>,

Rowan Chadwick <ro...@rowanchadwick.com> wrote:
>I found it interesting that they choose to interview Terry on the
>documentarty about the goon show last night
>are there many? also it was a shame there wasn't more of him but that life
[...]
Unlike many celebrities, he isn't quite as old as the really old
farts, but unlike, say, Robbie Williams, he actually remembers a time
before Harry Seacombe was that fat old Welsh buffer who hosts Highway.

Some of Pratchett is vaguely similar to the Goons humour, particularly
the footnotes. For instance, the counting pines that evolve to
advertise their age, and end up being harvested for house numbers.
--
Correct email address is in reply-to.
Filter on domain name only.

David Chapman

Apr 30, 2001, 7:38:19 PM4/30/01
"Sherilyn" <6...@sherilyn.org.uk> wrote in message news:slrn9erm...@pegasus.sherilyn.org.uk...

> In Message-ID <IRiH6.18266$PP3.1...@nnrp3.clara.net>,
> Rowan Chadwick <ro...@rowanchadwick.com> wrote:
> >I found it interesting that they choose to interview Terry on the
> >documentarty about the goon show last night
> >are there many? also it was a shame there wasn't more of him but that life
> [...]
> >
> Unlike many celebrities, he isn't quite as old as the really old
> farts, but unlike, say, Robbie Williams, he actually remembers a time
> before Harry Seacombe was that fat old Welsh buffer who hosts Highway.
>
> Some of Pratchett is vaguely similar to the Goons humour, particularly
> the footnotes. For instance, the counting pines that evolve to
> advertise their age, and end up being harvested for house numbers.

Not to mention the resonance between Dibbler's fly-by-night schemes and
those of Grytpype-Thynne. Persuading someone not only to drink Loch
Lomond but to pay sixpence a glass for the privilege, indeed.

--
"Would you say your songs are about liquor,
women, drugs and killing, for the most part?"

"Yep."

Terry Pratchett

May 1, 2001, 4:31:08 AM5/1/01
In article <slrn9erm...@pegasus.sherilyn.org.uk>, Sherilyn
<6...@sherilyn.org.uk> writes

>Some of Pratchett is vaguely similar to the Goons humour, particularly
>the footnotes. For instance, the counting pines that evolve to
>advertise their age, and end up being harvested for house numbers.

I think it's truer to say that the Goons had an effect on British humour
that makes the Pythons look weedy in comparison. But they were on
radio, ie, didn't really exist.

Half the time, watching Python, you were mildly embarrassed at how dumb
some of the sketches were, and how badly they ended or, mostly, faded
away (just like the offensively stupid ending of Holy Grail). The Goons
were consistently better.
--
Terry Pratchett

Edwin Brady

May 1, 2001, 7:13:09 AM5/1/01
"Rowan Chadwick" <ro...@rowanchadwick.com> writes:

I spotted a couple in Equal Rites a while back which may or may not be
Goons references... Esk saying of her staff that "Everything's gotta
be somewhere" sounded very Eccles to me. Shortly followed by a
complaint of "You can't get the wood you know..."

Er, not read it for a while though, so I can't remember exact details.

Plus, this may just be wanting to find references when they aren't
there, but...

Ying tong iddle i po,
Edwin.
--
Edwin Brady - http://www.dur.ac.uk/e.c.brady/
- "Yes, but has it got wings?"

Eric Jarvis

May 1, 2001, 7:43:09 AM5/1/01
on Tue, 1 May 2001 09:31:08 +0100, tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk
wrote...

Python was often clever...deliberately...I'm not saying it isn't
possible to try to be clever and funny at the same time...but
Spike Milligna had that transcendent thing where he could be
extremely stupid and funny whilst simultaneously extraordinarily
wise...it sinks into ones mind at a much deeper level

--
Eric Jarvis
BI Online

Stevie D

May 1, 2001, 8:34:58 AM5/1/01
Rowan Chadwick wrote:

I'm probably not *the* biggest Goon fan ever [1] but I do have at least
about fifty episodes on tape, some of which I can almost recite OTTOMH
[2], and I've hardly noticed any references in the first 25 DW books or
the first hundred pages of the 26th.

I don't know why ... except that Pterry mainly parodies stuff that is
intended as serious, AFAICT, and short of simply naming a DW character
after a Goon, which would be a little bit tacky and pointless [3], I
can't think there are that many references he could bring in that many
people would get.

[1] In fact at a measly 5'10" I can almost guarantee that to be the case
[2] Don't worry, I'm scared by that too.
[3] Unless there was a good reason for it. cf The clockmaker in ToT.

--
You can't make a carburettor out of pigeons. It's amazing what you learn
in a Philosophy degree.

Sherilyn

May 1, 2001, 12:39:57 PM5/1/01
In Message-ID <CSxp2XAM...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,

Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <slrn9erm...@pegasus.sherilyn.org.uk>, Sherilyn
><6...@sherilyn.org.uk> writes
>>
>>Some of Pratchett is vaguely similar to the Goons humour, particularly
>>the footnotes. For instance, the counting pines that evolve to
>>advertise their age, and end up being harvested for house numbers.
>
>I think it's truer to say that the Goons had an effect on British humour
>that makes the Pythons look weedy in comparison. But they were on
>radio, ie, didn't really exist.

I'm sure they influenced comic writing, but I didn't find their
comedy particularly accessible, and I'm probably one of the few
reading this thread who remembers the Tellygoons.

[...]

David Chapman

May 1, 2001, 1:42:41 PM5/1/01
"Sherilyn" <6...@sherilyn.org.uk> wrote in message news:slrn9etm...@pegasus.sherilyn.org.uk...
> In Message-ID <CSxp2XAM...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,

> I'm sure they influenced comic writing, but I didn't find their
> comedy particularly accessible, and I'm probably one of the few
> reading this thread who remembers the Tellygoons.

Never, *ever* say that on AFP, Sherilyn. You could say you
were probably the only person on AFP who has an in-depth
knowledge of Kazakhstani cow-breeding methods and six voices
would cry "No you're not!"

I've seen the Tellygoons, so I have.

Sherilyn

May 1, 2001, 3:36:31 PM5/1/01
In Message-ID <teu3bh6...@corp.supernews.com>,

=======================

========================

>knowledge of Kazakhstani cow-breeding methods and six voices
>would cry "No you're not!"
>
>I've seen the Tellygoons, so I have.

And I've been around the block too many times to say I'm
probably the _only_ person... ;)

I think I can safely assume that the majority of the group's
readership was born some time after that show was aired. Live
dangerously, that's what I say.

Andy Davison

May 1, 2001, 3:54:39 PM5/1/01
On Tue, 1 May 2001 09:31:08 +0100, in message

>Half the time, watching Python, you were mildly embarrassed at how dumb
>some of the sketches were, and how badly they ended or, mostly, faded
>away (just like the offensively stupid ending of Holy Grail). The Goons
>were consistently better.

The two extant shows from the 2nd series (the first called 'The Goon
Show') are woeful compared to some of the later ones. When Michael
Bentine left it got better partly because then the whole show story
format evolved and possibly I just don't like Osric Pureheart. That
said, some of the later ones were very loose at the seems and ended
very lamely. The Goons seemed to be having more fun themselves than
the audience. Series 5&6, while Peter Eton was the producer, the
Goons did their most consistent stuff.

MegaMole

May 1, 2001, 4:18:11 PM5/1/01
In article <MPG.1558b1a6...@news.cwcom.net>, Eric Jarvis
<webm...@befrienders.org> writes

>Python was often clever...deliberately...I'm not saying it isn't
>possible to try to be clever and funny at the same time...but
>Spike Milligna had that transcendent thing where he could be
>extremely stupid and funny whilst simultaneously extraordinarily
>wise...it sinks into ones mind at a much deeper level

But, as "Life of Python" pointed out, Python owed a tremendous debt to
Milligna (in Q as well as the Goons) and to earlier efforts by some of
the Pythons in places like TW3.

And, as yer man Pratchett has said, we only remember the moments of
stunning inspiration. Not the (often 20) minutes of dreck we had to
wade through to get there.

How many people know that the parrot sketch as originally written
featured a toaster?
--
* MegaMole, The Official Enrico Basilica : Chocolate rix in thy tum *
* http://www.countertenor.demon.co.uk/index.html Filks, Liff, Stuff *

Terry Pratchett

May 1, 2001, 4:19:06 PM5/1/01
In article <ki4uetkctn0rjetmh...@4ax.com>, Andy Davison
<andy.d...@btinternet.com> writes

>The two extant shows from the 2nd series (the first called 'The Goon
>Show') are woeful compared to some of the later ones. When Michael
>Bentine left it got better partly because then the whole show story
>format evolved and possibly I just don't like Osric Pureheart. That
>said, some of the later ones were very loose at the seems and ended
>very lamely. The Goons seemed to be having more fun themselves than
>the audience. Series 5&6, while Peter Eton was the producer, the
>Goons did their most consistent stuff.

Your enjoyment may vary, of course, and pretty much the same general
statements could be made about Python. But I'd definitely say that the
Goons were more influential, if only because they influenced so many
later comedy writers. Python was 'Grandson of Goons' (although
personally I'd rate Bentine's "It's A Square World" series higher than
both!)
--
Terry Pratchett

Manic Piranha Fish

May 1, 2001, 5:02:59 PM5/1/01
Here is a carbon copy of a photograph of a forged copy of a print-out...

> > [ssniiiiiiip]

> > Some of Pratchett is vaguely similar to the Goons humour, particularly
> > the footnotes. For instance, the counting pines that evolve to
> > advertise their age, and end up being harvested for house numbers.
>
> Not to mention the resonance between Dibbler's fly-by-night schemes and
> those of Grytpype-Thynne. Persuading someone not only to drink Loch
> Lomond but to pay sixpence a glass for the privilege, indeed.

Part of the Goon show magic was developing the characters - you got to know
and love Bluebottle, Eccles, Moriaty, Bloodknock and the rest and you knew
how they'd react in a given situation. The more you heard the shows the
more
you hear the jokes and the comedies and the ideas behind them all (hey -
even I can get some of the topical jokes and this is 40 years later). This
is
like rereading the DW novels over again and discovering gems and genius
where you didn't see them before.

The Goons did lots of paradies on history eg The Hiistories of Pliny the
Younger,
but they also did paradies on legends and novels eg the Phantom Batter
Pudding
Hurler of Bexley on Heath, the Christmas radio pantomime of Robin Hood
[which is where
'tie him to a stick of celery' comes from]. A lot of the comedy had dark
overtones to
post-war life in Britain, particularly rationing and censorship,
but the basic premise is to send up and explore everyday angsts of life;
and I think that is one of the core ideas of Terry's books - find a theme
(or six) and
explore it using paradies of our own lives, legends, histories or fantasies.
On saying
that, many of Terry's books become very morally centered (which was not the
intention
of the Goons I would think).

Of course - that's just my opinion, whether you think that is worth the salt
in a bag of
salt'n'shake :)

Cheers, and hello btw

the Manic Piranha
No Man is an Island, but a few have High Walls

Andy Davison

May 1, 2001, 5:02:43 PM5/1/01
On Tue, 1 May 2001 12:43:09 +0100, in message
<webm...@befrienders.org> wrote:

>Python was often clever...deliberately...I'm not saying it isn't
>possible to try to be clever and funny at the same time...but
>Spike Milligna had that transcendent thing where he could be
>extremely stupid and funny whilst simultaneously extraordinarily
>wise...it sinks into ones mind at a much deeper level

Milligna has a talent for taking logic round in circles if you see
what I mean. The 'what time is it, Eccles?' bit from 'The Mysterious
Punch-up-the-Conker' is a good example where Eccles has 8 o'clock
written on a piece of paper so he can show it to people if they ask
him the time. Of course, if it _isn't_ 8 o'clock he won't show it to
them but he knows when it _is_ 8 o'clock because he has it written on
a piece of paper.

the_peanut_gallery

May 1, 2001, 7:25:33 PM5/1/01
Le 01-mai-01, Sherilyn a écrit :

> I'm sure they influenced comic writing, but I didn't find their
> comedy particularly accessible, and I'm probably one of the few
> reading this thread who remembers the Tellygoons.

Sister mine!

--
Rose Humphrey

Sherilyn

May 1, 2001, 5:51:13 PM5/1/01
In Message-ID <xx$rubB6o...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,
Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
[...]

>Your enjoyment may vary, of course, and pretty much the same general
>statements could be made about Python. But I'd definitely say that the
>Goons were more influential, if only because they influenced so many
>later comedy writers. Python was 'Grandson of Goons' (although
>personally I'd rate Bentine's "It's A Square World" series higher than
>both!)

I was a little too young for that (or possibly just the right
age). Didn't he have the Television Centre invaded by daleks?
He also used to have a very good special effects sequence with
scale models.

Sherilyn

May 1, 2001, 5:52:37 PM5/1/01
In Message-ID <Yam2NN.AmigaOS.7...@wanadoo.fr>,
<fx boom!/>

You're were right!

No more curried eggs for me.

Suzi

May 1, 2001, 6:36:41 PM5/1/01
In article <slrn9eubr...@pegasus.sherilyn.org.uk>,
6...@sherilyn.org.uk wibbled...

> In Message-ID <xx$rubB6o...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,
> Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> [...]
[Snip]

> >Python was 'Grandson of Goons' (although
> >personally I'd rate Bentine's "It's A Square World" series higher than
> >both!)

[Snip]

> He also used to have a very good special effects sequence with
> scale models.

Wasn't that part of Michael Bentine's "Potty Time" series on ITV?

Suzi

Andy Davison

May 2, 2001, 2:43:06 AM5/2/01
On Tue, 1 May 2001 21:19:06 +0100, in message
<xx$rubB6o...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Your enjoyment may vary, of course, and pretty much the same general
>statements could be made about Python. But I'd definitely say that the
>Goons were more influential, if only because they influenced so many
>later comedy writers. Python was 'Grandson of Goons' (although
>personally I'd rate Bentine's "It's A Square World" series higher than
>both!)

I fully agree regarding MP. I only vaguely remember bits of Square
World and I have to admit the bits I remember were very very good
(British and German troops fighting with brass band instruments
springs to mind) but I really prefer radio comedy where you have to
supply the 'look' of the characters, scenery and action and then
someone says something which makes you realise that you have been
imagining it differently to what is actually going on. Radio and the
written word can do this. Once pictures become involved I find the
comedy diluted a bit. Obviously some comedy would only work in
pictures - slapstick for example - but you only have to look at
current tv or Hollywood 'comedy' to see how easy it is for the makers
to cop out

Paul Andinach

May 2, 2001, 3:26:31 AM5/2/01
On Tue, 1 May 2001, Sherilyn wrote:

> I'm sure they influenced comic writing, but I didn't find their
> comedy particularly accessible, and I'm probably one of the few
> reading this thread who remembers the Tellygoons.

What *was* the Tellygoons?

Paul
--
The Pink Pedanther

Mark Datko

May 2, 2001, 3:51:24 AM5/2/01

Paul Andinach <pand...@ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote in message

A puppet 'version' of The Goons, a B&W TV series of
the early sxities :

Googling reveals
http://www.telegoons.org/history.htm

HTH

Hippo (Mark Datko)
--
"History needs shepherds not Butchers"

Mark Datko

May 2, 2001, 3:59:55 AM5/2/01

> In Message-ID <teu3bh6...@corp.supernews.com>,
> David Chapman <anti...@evildeath.madasafish.com> wrote:
> >"Sherilyn" <6...@sherilyn.org.uk> wrote in message
> >> In Message-ID <CSxp2XAM...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,
> >
> >> I'm sure they influenced comic writing, but I didn't find their
> >> comedy particularly accessible, and I'm probably one of the few
> =======================
> >> reading this thread who remembers the Tellygoons.
> >
> >Never, *ever* say that on AFP, Sherilyn. You could say you
> >were probably the only person on AFP who has an in-depth
> ========================
> >knowledge of Kazakhstani cow-breeding methods and six voices
> >would cry "No you're not!"

Ahhh, but is anybody here still getting via snail mail, the
wonderful "Isle of Arran Shoemakers Monthly" ;)

hippo (Mark Datko)

Sherilyn

May 2, 2001, 6:18:06 AM5/2/01
In Message-ID <MPG.155949ad5...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>,
Possibly, but I never watched Potty Time.

Mark Datko

May 2, 2001, 6:30:06 AM5/2/01

> In Message-ID <MPG.155949ad5...@nntp.netcomuk.co.uk>,
> Suzi <Su...@lspace.org> wrote:
> >In article <slrn9eubr...@pegasus.sherilyn.org.uk>,
> >6...@sherilyn.org.uk wibbled...
> >> In Message-ID <xx$rubB6o...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,
> >> Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> [...]
> >[Snip]
> >>
> >[Snip]
> >> He also used to have a very good special effects sequence with
> >> scale models.
> >
> >Wasn't that part of Michael Bentine's "Potty Time" series on ITV?
> >
> Possibly, but I never watched Potty Time.

In one of the early IASqW shows, when the 'concrete doughnut'
bbc tv centre in west London had only recently been completed,
Michael Bentine blew up a very convincing model of the centre.

Afterwords, he apparently received an official memo of reprimand
from the higher echelons saying that 'the bbc tv centre should not
be used for purposes of humour or entertainment'

Hippo (Mark Datko)

Terry Pratchett

May 2, 2001, 6:25:12 AM5/2/01
In article <9coec5$rc4$1...@plutonium.btinternet.com>, Mark Datko
<ma...@datko.org.uk> writes

>A puppet 'version' of The Goons, a B&W TV series of
>the early sxities :
>
>Googling reveals
>http://www.telegoons.org/history.htm

Using, as I recall, techniques very similar to those employed later by
Spitting Image.
--
Terry Pratchett

Tic-tac-toe

May 2, 2001, 7:39:19 AM5/2/01

>> I'm sure they influenced comic writing, but I didn't find their
>> comedy particularly accessible, and I'm probably one of the few
>> reading this thread who remembers the Tellygoons.
>
>What *was* the Tellygoons?
>
>Paul
A TV version of the goon show, with strange little wobbly black/white line
drawing animations of the characters.

(Incidentally animated by Oliver Postgate, who did Ivor the Engine and Bagpuss).

Claire

Stevie D

May 2, 2001, 10:43:42 AM5/2/01
Edwin Brady wrote:

> Shortly followed by a complaint of "You can't get the wood you know..."

Dammit, I knew there must have been one somewhere!

I even remember reading the APF note on that one, now you come to
mention it.

Sherilyn

May 2, 2001, 1:02:21 PM5/2/01
In Message-ID <HlSH6.6532$SZ5.5...@www.newsranger.com>,

Tic-tac-toe <tict...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>>> I'm sure they influenced comic writing, but I didn't find their
>>> comedy particularly accessible, and I'm probably one of the few
>>> reading this thread who remembers the Tellygoons.
>>
>>What *was* the Tellygoons?
>>
>>Paul
>A TV version of the goon show, with strange little wobbly black/white line
>drawing animations of the characters.

I don't recall that. The version I saw had, as Terry also recalls,
Spitting Image-style puppetry. The episode with the dreaded
lurgy gave me nightmares, as I was rather too young to take it
as entertainment.

>(Incidentally animated by Oliver Postgate, who did Ivor the Engine and Bagpuss).
>
>Claire

phil...@see.signature.uk

May 2, 2001, 1:05:54 PM5/2/01
On Tue, 1 May 2001 21:19:06 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Your enjoyment may vary, of course, and pretty much the same general
>statements could be made about Python. But I'd definitely say that the
>Goons were more influential, if only because they influenced so many
>later comedy writers. Python was 'Grandson of Goons' (although
>personally I'd rate Bentine's "It's A Square World" series higher than
>both!)

And I had a great fondness for 'Potty Time', especially the minature
battles.

Philippa, Barbarian houri!

'I was Death! Death on a horse!' - Methos, Highlander
'Dere c'n onlie be whin t'ousand!' - Pterry, CJ

Edwin Brady

May 2, 2001, 1:09:58 PM5/2/01
Stevie D <stev...@catsrule.garfield.com> writes:

> Edwin Brady wrote:
>
> > Shortly followed by a complaint of "You can't get the wood you know..."
>
> Dammit, I knew there must have been one somewhere!
>
> I even remember reading the APF note on that one, now you come to
> mention it.

Hmmm... I looked in the APF to see if it was mentioned, but apparently
not...

Edwin.
--
Edwin Brady - http://www.dur.ac.uk/e.c.brady/
- "Information. Information! INFORMATION!"

the_peanut_gallery

May 2, 2001, 4:33:27 PM5/2/01
Le 01-mai-01, Suzi a écrit :

IIRC, "Square World" had scale models without puppets of any kind: there
were wonderful invisible creatures that spoke and moved around, but you
could only see their footsteps in the sand and, of course, the havoc
they created in Bentine's vicinity.

The Potties were visible, though no less chaotic. I used to skive off
Uni to watch it, oh happy days.
--
Rose Humphrey

Sherilyn

May 2, 2001, 2:48:27 PM5/2/01
In Message-ID <Yam2NN.AmigaOS....@wanadoo.fr>,
the_peanut_gallery <the_peanu...@spamcop.net> wrote:
[...]

>IIRC, "Square World" had scale models without puppets of any kind: there
>were wonderful invisible creatures that spoke and moved around, but you
>could only see their footsteps in the sand and, of course, the havoc
>they created in Bentine's vicinity.

Those were the guys!

>The Potties were visible, though no less chaotic. I used to skive off
>Uni to watch it, oh happy days.

I didn't watch it. The name made it sound a little too "young" for
me.

Andy Davison

May 2, 2001, 2:45:13 PM5/2/01
On Tue, 01 May 2001 16:39:57 GMT, in message
<slrn9etm...@pegasus.sherilyn.org.uk>, 6...@sherilyn.org.uk
(Sherilyn) wrote:

>I'm sure they influenced comic writing, but I didn't find their
>comedy particularly accessible, and I'm probably one of the few
>reading this thread who remembers the Tellygoons.

The Telegoons was adapted from Goon Show scripts by Maurice
Wiltshire[1] basically by cutting out a lot of the more risque and
obscure jokes first and then trimming the story down to 15 minutes. It
was aimed at a younger audience so comments like "your turn in the
barrel" and "you've done me a power of good" wouldn't be expected to
be understood. If you bowdlerise anything you can lose a lot of the
feel of the original. The Telegoons didn't just lose the feel, it
buried it and burnt the map.

[1] MW co-wrote some of the original Goon Show scripts (sometimes
without Milligna getting a credit). He was good at it and perhaps
should have made a better job of the Telegoons. Perhaps the
constraints were too great.

Andy Davison

May 2, 2001, 2:45:14 PM5/2/01
On Wed, 02 May 2001 11:39:19 GMT, in message

<HlSH6.6532$SZ5.5...@www.newsranger.com>,
Tic-tac-toe<tict...@btinternet.com> wrote:

>A TV version of the goon show, with strange little wobbly black/white line
>drawing animations of the characters.
>
>(Incidentally animated by Oliver Postgate, who did Ivor the Engine and Bagpuss).

They were puppets designed by Ralph Young. The programmes were made by
Grosvenor Films for the BBC.

David Chapman

May 2, 2001, 7:48:13 AM5/2/01
"Andy Davison" <andy.d...@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:tg7uetsh0masfnstj...@4ax.com...

Which is rather reminiscent of Lewis Carroll's answer to a certain question
he received when teaching mathematics. Having just shown why a clock that
is stopped at 12 o'clock is more accurate than a clock which gains 15 minutes
a day, one of his students pointed out that you could at least predict when the
clock gaining the time was right. Had he left it at that, he would probably have
got away with it, but instead he tried to gild the lily and asked how Carroll
could tell when his stopped clock was correct. Carroll replied, "Simplicity itself.
Watch the clock very closely, and at the *precise* moment it is right, it will be
12 o'clock."

--
"Would you say your songs are about liquor,
women, drugs and killing, for the most part?"

"Yep."

phobos

May 2, 2001, 5:08:30 PM5/2/01
On 02 May 2001, Sherilyn remarked in alt.fan.pratchett:

>>>What *was* the Tellygoons?
>>>
>>>Paul
>>A TV version of the goon show, with strange little wobbly black/white
>>line drawing animations of the characters.
>
>I don't recall that. The version I saw had, as Terry also recalls,
>Spitting Image-style puppetry. The episode with the dreaded
>lurgy gave me nightmares, as I was rather too young to take it
>as entertainment.

Blimey. Is that where the whole 'you've got the lurgy' thing at primary
school came from? Can we all blame Spike for it - the Patient Zero [1] of
the ongoing national lurgy epidemic?

[1] There's always one. Everyone else can get rid of the lurgy by passing
it to another poor victim, but every school has this one poor kid who is
eternally lurgy-ridden and provides the source of new outbreaks.

phobos

May 2, 2001, 5:21:51 PM5/2/01
On 02 May 2001, Andy Davison remarked in alt.fan.pratchett:

(snip)

> ........ I really prefer radio comedy where you have to

>supply the 'look' of the characters, scenery and action and then
>someone says something which makes you realise that you have been
>imagining it differently to what is actually going on. Radio and the
>written word can do this. Once pictures become involved I find the
>comedy diluted a bit. Obviously some comedy would only work in
>pictures - slapstick for example - but you only have to look at
>current tv or Hollywood 'comedy' to see how easy it is for the makers
>to cop out

Well, if we look at the best of the Python sketches...

The Argument [1], the Dead Parrot [2], the Spam Song [3](does it matter if
we can't see that they're Vikings?), the Lumberjack Song [4], Nudge Nudge
Wink Wink [5], Self Defence Against Fruit [6], the Hungarian phrasebook
[7], etc...

The best ones I can think of that don't work on radio are Ministry of Silly
Walks, How Not to be Seen [9], Blackmail! [A] and Upper-Class Twit of the
Year.

Nothing wrong with radio comedy, as far as I can see.

Footnotes: gratuitous Pythonalia. You were warned.

[1] No it isn't.
[2] It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace!
[3] You get enough of this in your mailbox, I won't impose more.
[4] Easily the greatest comic song about transvestism till Tim Curry
started making a man with blond hair and a tan [B].
[5] Say no more!
[6] We haven't done bananas, have we?
[7] Please will you fondle my buttocks?
[9] The first lesson of not being seen: not to stand up! [C]
[A] That's alright sir, we don't morally censure, we just want your money!
[B] Who was apparently good for relieving his tension.
[C] Or perhaps, to do the show on the radio.

Sherilyn

May 2, 2001, 6:46:59 PM5/2/01
In Message-ID <GCq82...@bath.ac.uk>,

phobos <pho...@hotmail.comeondontspam> wrote:
>On 02 May 2001, Sherilyn remarked in alt.fan.pratchett:

>>>A TV version of the goon show, with strange little wobbly black/white
>>>line drawing animations of the characters.
>>
>>I don't recall that. The version I saw had, as Terry also recalls,
>>Spitting Image-style puppetry. The episode with the dreaded
>>lurgy gave me nightmares, as I was rather too young to take it
>>as entertainment.
>
>Blimey. Is that where the whole 'you've got the lurgy' thing at primary
>school came from? Can we all blame Spike for it - the Patient Zero [1] of
>the ongoing national lurgy epidemic?

Yes, as far as I'm aware, the Dreaded Lurgy earlier) originated with
the Goons. The episode of the Telegoons that featured this, I recall
across nearly forty years, showed the victims rising from the ground to
about shoulder height, their jaws and throat convulsing in
a traditionally Milliganesque manner. About seven years old or
so, I recall that I found this nightmarish.

I also recall a lovely episode in which Neddy Seagoon sets sail
in an upright piano from the front door of a house. The TV Comic, to
which I subscribed, also featured a Telegoons strip. This is
the same comic that later (as TV21) produced the fine colour strips
of the Thunderbirds that still surface every now and then in
comics when Thunderbirds are showing on television.

>[1] There's always one. Everyone else can get rid of the lurgy by passing
>it to another poor victim, but every school has this one poor kid who is
>eternally lurgy-ridden and provides the source of new outbreaks.

Luckily I have never encountered such an unfortunate. How do
you fetch them down? Hook their ankles with the crook of a brolly?

David Chapman

May 2, 2001, 4:36:46 PM5/2/01
"Mark Datko" <ma...@datko.org.uk> wrote in message news:9conlm$4t1$1...@uranium.btinternet.com...

> In one of the early IASqW shows, when the 'concrete doughnut'
> bbc tv centre in west London had only recently been completed,
> Michael Bentine blew up a very convincing model of the centre.
>
> Afterwords, he apparently received an official memo of reprimand
> from the higher echelons saying that 'the bbc tv centre should not
> be used for purposes of humour or entertainment'

At the risk of making a truly obvious joke, that's something they've
achieved in full measure. See, the licence fee *isn't* being frittered
away...

Leo Breebaart

May 3, 2001, 5:20:54 AM5/3/01
Edwin Brady <e.c....@durham.ac.uk> writes:

> > > Shortly followed by a complaint of "You can't get the wood you know..."
> >
> > Dammit, I knew there must have been one somewhere!
> >
> > I even remember reading the APF note on that one, now you come to
> > mention it.
>
> Hmmm... I looked in the APF to see if it was mentioned, but apparently
> not...

You must have mislooked. It's in the annotations for _Witches Abroad_:

- [p. 30/26] "'You can't get the wood,' she said."

This was Henry Crun's standard excuse for not actually building anything
he'd invented, on the _Goon Show_.

The Annotated Pratchett File can be found at <http://www.lspace.org/books/apf/>

--
Leo Breebaart <l...@lspace.org>

Martyn Clapham

May 3, 2001, 1:43:23 PM5/3/01
In article <GCq8o...@bath.ac.uk>, phobos <pho...@hotmail.comeondontsp
am> writes

[ snip discussion of Radio v TV comedy using Python sketches ]

>The best ones I can think of that don't work on radio are Ministry of Silly
>Walks,

I would like to point my esteemed colleague in the direction of the
ISIRTA[1] 25th Anniversary Show.

This features a gag where a certain Mr Cleese wants to do his funny walk
on radio. Eventually the rest of the cast let him. The humour comes from
the patronising comments made by the rest of the cast[2].

Mart.

[1] I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.

[2] This comprised Mr. Oddie, Mr. Brooke-Taylor, Mr. Garden, Mr. Hatch
and Ms Kendall.[3]

[3] Jo not Felicity! :-) ( Of course it will turn out that she was in
the original series and not the anniversary show )
--
Everything you wanted to know about afp, but were afraid to ask, is at
http://www.lspace.org/ Having fun on afp from 1996

Stuart Painting

May 3, 2001, 2:12:35 PM5/3/01
In article <slrn9f11t...@pegasus.sherilyn.org.uk>, Sherilyn

<URL:mailto:6...@sherilyn.org.uk> wrote:
> In Message-ID <GCq82...@bath.ac.uk>,
> phobos <pho...@hotmail.comeondontspam> wrote:
> >Blimey. Is that where the whole 'you've got the lurgy' thing at primary
> >school came from? Can we all blame Spike for it - the Patient Zero [1] of
> >the ongoing national lurgy epidemic?
>
> Yes, as far as I'm aware, the Dreaded Lurgy earlier) originated with
> the Goons.

And for a small consideration, BBC Worldwide (or your local record
shop) will sell you a CD containing the original radio show. Look out
for "The Goon Show vol.2: Enter Bluebottle..." ZBBC 1865 CD

> I also recall a lovely episode in which Neddy Seagoon sets sail
> in an upright piano from the front door of a house. The TV Comic, to
> which I subscribed, also featured a Telegoons strip. This is
> the same comic that later (as TV21) produced the fine colour strips
> of the Thunderbirds that still surface every now and then in
> comics when Thunderbirds are showing on television.

I suspect your memory may be playing tricks with you as regards TV
Comic and TV21. I'm pretty sure they coexisted, partly because my two
brothers used to get one each (TV Comic was aimed at a slightly
younger audience than TV21).

Oh, and unless I'm much mistaken, TV Comic used to feature a
"Blunderbirds" strip...

stuart

--
INTERNET APPLIANCES is an anagram of ENTIRE PLANET PANICS.

Sherilyn

May 4, 2001, 7:13:00 AM5/4/01
In message-id <ant03183...@zedtoo.demon.co.uk>, Stuart wrote:

>In article <slrn9f11t...@pegasus.sherilyn.org.uk>, Sherilyn
><URL:mailto:6...@sherilyn.org.uk> wrote:
[...]

>> The TV Comic, to
>> which I subscribed, also featured a Telegoons strip. This is
>> the same comic that later (as TV21) produced the fine colour strips
>> of the Thunderbirds that still surface every now and then in
>> comics when Thunderbirds are showing on television.
>
>I suspect your memory may be playing tricks with you as regards TV
>Comic and TV21. I'm pretty sure they coexisted, partly because my two
>brothers used to get one each (TV Comic was aimed at a slightly
>younger audience than TV21).

You're right. I subscribed to both at different times, and TV comic did
sometimes feature strips based on Gerry Anderson titles. I simply
assumed that the title of the comic had changed, but it's clear that they
were distinct publications.
[...]

--
http://www.sherilyn.org.uk/ There is a contact form on the website.
3 Northcote Road, London E17 7DT +44 20 8928 1939

Charles A Lieberman

May 4, 2001, 8:34:38 AM5/4/01
Terry Pratchett Wed, 2 May 2001 11:25:12 +0100
<fLg+gvAI...@unseen.demon.co.uk>

>Using, as I recall, techniques very similar to those employed later by
>Spitting Image.

Why can't I find Spitting Image on the Web?

--
Charles A. Lieberman Brooklyn, NY, USA
AFP Code 2.0 AGo/Li-US d(--) s: a-- U++>+ R F++ h- P! OS--:- C++ M-

Knurd

May 4, 2001, 4:10:44 PM5/4/01
On Fri, 04 May 2001, cali...@bigfoot.com wrote:

> Terry Pratchett Wed, 2 May 2001 11:25:12 +0100
> <fLg+gvAI...@unseen.demon.co.uk>
>>Using, as I recall, techniques very similar to those employed later
>>by Spitting Image.
>
> Why can't I find Spitting Image on the Web?

Try here:

http://www.80snostalgia.com/classictv/spittingimage/
http://www.mbcnet.org/ETV/S/htmlS/spittingimag/spittingimag.htm

Steve
Steve Evans E-mail: mailto:ste...@gorbag.com
WEB: http://www.gorbag.com
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
account be allowed to do the job.

Sherilyn

May 4, 2001, 4:37:37 PM5/4/01
In Message-ID <mqn0ft80jkh6ogdj1...@4ax.com>,

Charles A Lieberman <cali...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>Terry Pratchett Wed, 2 May 2001 11:25:12 +0100
><fLg+gvAI...@unseen.demon.co.uk>
>>Using, as I recall, techniques very similar to those employed later by
>>Spitting Image.
>
>Why can't I find Spitting Image on the Web?

They are no more. According to a Sotheby's press release
announcing a sale of props last year, Roger Law folded the business and
moved to Australia in 1998.

There's a rather dull page about the programme here:

http://www.mbcnet.org/ETV/S/htmlS/spittingimag/spittingimag.htm

I do think it is extraordinary that there are so few tribute sites
around, though I never much cared for their trite faux-satire of
political figures.