JOHNNY AND THE DEAD

27 views
Skip to first unread message

Tony Trujillo

unread,
Apr 18, 1994, 7:13:00 AM4/18/94
to
Hello!

I just finished JOHNNY AND THE DEAD the other night and
felt I had to comment on it. Once again, Pterry proves
that these young adult books can appeal to any age. I'd
have to say this is my favorite non-Disc book...it was
extremely funny and the end was very touching. I don't want
to ruin the book for the people who haven't read it so all
I can say is run out and grab yourself a copy of this book
as well as ONLY YOU CAN SAVE MANKIND. It's a pity I have
to rely on overseas friends to get Pterry's newest books.


BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"
or "PROGRAM" that Johnny and his mother are in. Could someone
over in the UK explain to me what this exactly is. I wish
I could give you more information but I gave my books to a friend.


... "Thief! Thief! Baggins! We hates it, We hates it for ever!"
* Silver Xpress V4.00 SW01177

Ian Sharrock

unread,
Apr 19, 1994, 11:26:16 AM4/19/94
to
In article <199404191...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
BD...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de "Markus Imhof" writes:

>Sorry, I was cut off the net for a few weeks. Can anyone tell me
>please if Men at Arms is available as paperback yet ? (with price/
>ISBN if possible ?)

My local Dillons claims it will be out on the 17th of May, along with
Soul Music. They also said they normally get the books a few days early
and if you ask nicely....

Ian

--
Ian Sharrock i...@bertie.demon.co.uk

#include <spew.h>
"Space Aliens from Watford landed in my garden and inserted 32 token ring
adapters into my cat." burbles deranged Sheffield pox-doctor.
-- IBM files suit claiming breach of copyright.

Andrew Ellam

unread,
Apr 19, 1994, 2:50:59 PM4/19/94
to
tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
>BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"
>or "PROGRAM" that Johnny and his mother are in. Could someone
>over in the UK explain to me what this exactly is. I wish
>I could give you more information but I gave my books to a friend.

'trying times' ~= Acrimony between parents.

Dunno about a 'program'. 'Phase' would probably refer to the above.

Andy.
--
"It's the Wrong Trousers, Gromit - And they've gone wrong!" |
Pgp: 0D4B69 A7 30 44 1B 09 38 DE 2A 6B 0E 8A C4 2A B7 2B B5

R. Dijkhuis

unread,
Apr 19, 1994, 2:53:02 PM4/19/94
to
In article <6b.3389.23...@sound.com> tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
>
>BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"
>or "PROGRAM" that Johnny and his mother are in. Could someone
>over in the UK explain to me what this exactly is. I wish
>I could give you more information but I gave my books to a friend.
>
His parents are growing apart from each other and might be splitting up.

Reinder
"It's not that kind of a Passion Play" said my uncle Socrates,
"it's about the passion of our Lord." "The passion of Our Who?" said
my grandfather in horror. "Now look here, Sock, my son, I've been forty
years in showbusiness, but I will not stand for a blasphemy of that
nature apart from the fact that it would be illegal not to say unprofitable."
--Brendan Behan, "Richard's Cork Leg"

Markus Imhof

unread,
Apr 19, 1994, 1:18:00 PM4/19/94
to
Sorry, I was cut off the net for a few weeks. Can anyone tell me
please if Men at Arms is available as paperback yet ? (with price/
ISBN if possible ?)
Thanks
Markus

Jason Blight

unread,
Apr 20, 1994, 7:50:31 AM4/20/94
to
In article <766769...@bertie.demon.co.uk>
Is that Soul Music in hardback or paper back?
I know it's a stupid question but as a poor sandwich student I am
hoping both in paperback as I can't afford hardbacks.

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| "Thomas breaking through the midfield, it's | Jason Blight |
| all up for grabs now........" | |
| | Rutherford Appleton Lab. |
| Brian Moore | Chilton, |
| | Didcot, |
| 26th May 1989 | Oxon. |
| | England. |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Ian Sharrock

unread,
Apr 21, 1994, 4:32:00 AM4/21/94
to
In article <16F9EC...@ib.rl.ac.uk> J...@ib.rl.ac.uk "Jason Blight" writes:

>In article <766769...@bertie.demon.co.uk>
>i...@bertie.demon.co.uk (Ian Sharrock) writes:
>
>>
>>In article <199404191...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de>
>> BD...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de "Markus Imhof" writes:
>>
>>>Sorry, I was cut off the net for a few weeks. Can anyone tell me
>>>please if Men at Arms is available as paperback yet ? (with price/
>>>ISBN if possible ?)
>>
>>My local Dillons claims it will be out on the 17th of May, along with
>>Soul Music. They also said they normally get the books a few days early
>>and if you ask nicely....

>Is that Soul Music in hardback or paper back?


>I know it's a stupid question but as a poor sandwich student I am
>hoping both in paperback as I can't afford hardbacks.

Sorry chum. Hardback Soul Music, paperback Men At Arms.

Dean Smith

unread,
Apr 21, 1994, 2:03:16 PM4/21/94
to
Talking sense on alt.fan.pratchett, Tony Trujillo came up with this:

: BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"

As in "Ignore him, it's just a phase he's going through"?

Charles H King

unread,
Apr 22, 1994, 7:07:37 AM4/22/94
to
In article <deani...@deanie.demon.co.uk>
dea...@deanie.demon.co.uk "Dean Smith" writes:

>: BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"
>
>As in "Ignore him, it's just a phase he's going through"?

I am reminded of an anecdote. (Actually I've heard the same story in different
guises from several different sources. I think 'apocryphal' is the word?)...

An amateur dramatics association decided that their production of
Henry V would be much enhanced by the use of real horses (tm) during
battle scenes. The audience in the packed town hall were, indeed,
amazed and enthralled by the spectacle of a young Prince Hal making his
entrance atop a prancing steed (well, an elderly pony actually, but such
is the magic of theatre). They were even more amazed and enthralled when
the groaning stage gave way, depositing horse and actor into the storage
room below. Over the stunned silence of the audience, and the distant
noises of equine surprise and thespian outrage, an extra was heard to say
"Ignore him, it's just a stage he's going through...."

Charlie

--
############################################################################
| -=< Charles H King >=- \ |
| \ Think Ahea|
|InterNet: Char...@prospect.demon.co.uk \ d|
############################################################################

Tony Trujillo

unread,
Apr 22, 1994, 11:13:00 AM4/22/94
to

S> His parents are growing apart from each other and might be splitting up.

I understood that part...I had gotten the notion that TRYING TIMES
was some kind of assistance program for divorcing parents and
their children.


... "Never trust a man with horns on his hat!"

Tony Trujillo

unread,
Apr 22, 1994, 11:13:00 AM4/22/94
to

>>BTW: I have a question. Pterry keeps mentioning a "PHASE"
>>or "PROGRAM" that Johnny and his mother are in. Could someone
>>over in the UK explain to me what this exactly is. I wish
>>I could give you more information but I gave my books to a friend.

A> 'trying times' ~= Acrimony between parents.

Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I had thought
TRYING TIMES was some kind of locally sponsored program to
assist parents who were divorcing...to provide counseling
and the like.


BTW: I'm sorry for the abrupt end to our private mail
conversation. Our BBS crashed and lost all of our messages
so at least I have a good reason! :^)

Also, I saw the 6th season of RED DWARF last night...what
a cliffhanger! :^)


Tony.T...@sound.com

... In space...no one can hear you "Cha! Cha! Cha!"

Andrew Ellam

unread,
Apr 23, 1994, 4:41:54 PM4/23/94
to

Yes. No, it isn't.

Andy "the first part being the answer to the question as posed, the second
part being the actual answer".

Tom Kellett

unread,
Apr 23, 1994, 6:11:55 AM4/23/94
to
In article <6b.3473.23...@sound.com>

tony.t...@sound.com "Tony Trujillo" writes:
> I understood that part...I had gotten the notion that TRYING TIMES
> was some kind of assistance program for divorcing parents and
> their children.
>
Hmmm, interesting slant that, what would they offer I wonder ?

1001 Reasons to divorce that have'nt occurred to you yet.[TM]

A consenting adult of your choice. [with pictures] <inna bun?>

suggestions anyone ?

--
Regards,
: Tom Kellett : Compuserve : T.A.K.DesignS : Inspiration /~~~\ :
: : : Warrington : | X | :
: G6DSW : 70374,46 : WA1 3SE : Target \___/ :

Eccles

unread,
Apr 24, 1994, 12:58:46 AM4/24/94
to
tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:

>Also, I saw the 6th season of RED DWARF last night...what
>a cliffhanger! :^)

7th series thanks :-)
Series 7 Red Dwarf - the Search for Series 6.
*sigh* mayhaps no series 7 :( or more books.


>... In space...no one can hear you "Cha! Cha! Cha!"

"What do you mean you killed him cha cha cha!?"

Eccles, posting in the wrong place, nyah nyah :)

Simon Reap

unread,
Apr 25, 1994, 5:29:36 AM4/25/94
to
Tom Kellett (T...@takdsign.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: In article <6b.3473.23...@sound.com>

: tony.t...@sound.com "Tony Trujillo" writes:
: > I understood that part...I had gotten the notion that TRYING TIMES
: > was some kind of assistance program for divorcing parents and
: > their children.
: >
: Hmmm, interesting slant that, what would they offer I wonder ?

: 1001 Reasons to divorce that have'nt occurred to you yet.[TM]

: A consenting adult of your choice. [with pictures] <inna bun?>

-----------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^
Hasn't Jasper Carrot (?) already done that, with his pastiche of those
ludicrously un-erotic sexual cinema adverts for their Intermission snacks?
The real ones usually show a blonde fellating an ice lolly, but the
only one of Jasper's I can remember is of a couple writhing naked
in a giant (10ft across) hamburger bun, and being covered with dollops
of ketchup/catsup. Well, it put *me* off cinema food for life!
--
yerluvinunclesimon, the Grin Reaper

Anthony Finch (PFUE)

unread,
Apr 25, 1994, 11:38:54 AM4/25/94
to
Andrew Ellam (an...@drebin.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> BD...@ibm3090.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de (Markus Imhof) writes:
> >Sorry, I was cut off the net for a few weeks. Can anyone tell me
> >please if Men at Arms is available as paperback yet ? (with price/
> >ISBN if possible ?)
>
> Yes. No, it isn't.
>
> Andy "the first part being the answer to the question as posed, the second
> part being the actual answer".

Yes, well. I went on a short tour around those Bristolian Bookshops on
Thursday last week, to see when they thought they would get M@A in
paperback. Both Waterstone's and George's had no firm details, and
guessed that it would be in November (i.e 1 year after the hardback).

I wasn't dreaming when I heard 14 May being bandied around, was I?
Tell me they are knowlessmen, just to reassure me, please?

--
Anthony Finch fa...@inmos.co.uk
Campaign against using `#' for Pounds Sterling!
Disclaimer: Any coincidence with real opinions is entirely resemblential.

Laura Johnson

unread,
Apr 25, 1994, 5:59:21 PM4/25/94
to
Simon Reap (s...@datcon.co.uk) wrote:
: -----------------------------------------------------^^^^^^^^^^

: Hasn't Jasper Carrot (?) already done that, with his pastiche of those
: ludicrously un-erotic sexual cinema adverts for their Intermission snacks?
: The real ones usually show a blonde fellating an ice lolly, but the
: only one of Jasper's I can remember is of a couple writhing naked
: in a giant (10ft across) hamburger bun, and being covered with dollops
: of ketchup/catsup. Well, it put *me* off cinema food for life!
: --

Boy, we miss out on *everything* in the States, don't we??

Tony Trujillo

unread,
Apr 26, 1994, 7:30:00 PM4/26/94
to

>>Also, I saw the 6th season of RED DWARF last night...what
>>a cliffhanger! :^)
E> 7th series thanks :-)
E> Series 7 Red Dwarf - the Search for Series 6.
E> *sigh* mayhaps no series 7 :( or more books.

Don't even say things like that! Hummm...we need to drag
this conversation back on topic. Hummm...what if the
RED DWARF came across The Great A'tuin in deep space? :^)

Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
I've read over the years. :^)

E> Eccles, posting in the wrong place, nyah nyah :)

Shame on you for posting in the wrong area! WAIT A SEC! Move
over! I'll join you! Nyah! Nyah! :^)

Actually, I need to start picking up the RED.DWARF news
group again.

Tony.T...@sound.com

... This is a S.O.S. distress call from the mining ship RED DWARF

Ian Sharrock

unread,
Apr 25, 1994, 11:04:46 AM4/25/94
to
In article <1994Apr25....@inmos.co.uk>

fa...@inmos.co.uk "Anthony Finch (PFUE" writes:

>I wasn't dreaming when I heard 14 May being bandied around, was I?
>Tell me they are knowlessmen, just to reassure me, please?

Yes you were - it's the 17th :-) Or at least it better be, 'cos the buggers
took my money up front for it.

I shall attend the shop presently with a can of paraffin and one box of Swan
Vestas just in case.

Mr D.M. Whittle

unread,
Apr 27, 1994, 8:00:17 AM4/27/94
to
In article <6b.3574.23...@sound.com>, tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
>
> >>Also, I saw the 6th season of RED DWARF last night...what
> >>a cliffhanger! :^)
> E> 7th series thanks :-)
> E> Series 7 Red Dwarf - the Search for Series 6.
> E> *sigh* mayhaps no series 7 :( or more books.
>
Am I the only person that thought red dwawrf was a load of over-hyped
tripe? I remeber Grant and Naylor being interviewed whilst plugging it
and they said it would not feature "aliens, robots are tacky special
effects.This is a comedy about personalities." Until they realised
that people wanted to see tacky special effects. And gee I guess they
never read HHGTTG, eh? I mean the time travel language, mixing all the
tenses, was their idea, obviously. And The Inquisitor concept wasnt a bit
like Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.

And for all who say this is posted on the wrong group-you started it.
(The R.D. books weren't too bad though........)

Dave

(still in exile)

Silver Omega

unread,
Apr 27, 1994, 11:12:50 AM4/27/94
to
In article <6b.3574.23...@sound.com>,
tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:

> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
> I've read over the years. :^)

Now that's a *much* better idea than the movie thread. The Beeb
actually might make something half-decent. And, speaking of the HHG
series, you could use the fellow who did the voice-overs for the
typical Pratchian footnotes and similar comic comentary.

O.K.; casting thread, take II: British TV actors. Take it away,
Eric the Orchestra Leader[1]!

Harry.

--
"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
Harry Johnston, uda...@bay.cc.kcl.ac.uk
[1] Hell, if we can tie RD in, why not Python?

Patric S. Toms

unread,
Apr 27, 1994, 7:15:54 PM4/27/94
to
In article <6b.3574.23...@sound.com>
tony.t...@sound.com "Tony Trujillo" writes:

> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
> I've read over the years. :^)

Unfortunately to warrant the attention there would probably have to be
a radio series, several tapes and records, multiple stage productions
before the BBC would even sit up and take notice.


>
> E> Eccles, posting in the wrong place, nyah nyah :)
>
> Shame on you for posting in the wrong area! WAIT A SEC! Move
> over! I'll join you! Nyah! Nyah! :^)
>

Nyah! Nyah!

> Actually, I need to start picking up the RED.DWARF news
> group again.

I never knew there was one. I think I'll join it now. BYE!

Magus
--
*******************************************************************************
Do you feel safe ?
*******************************************************************************

A Reid Anderson Mobile

unread,
Apr 27, 1994, 8:51:45 AM4/27/94
to
Tony.T...@sound.com wrote:

> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
> I've read over the years. :^)

I say NO and thrice NO! Don't let Auntie ruin Pterry's masterpieces,
PLEASE!

I enjoyed HHGTTG books and was completely turned off by the series. If
DISCWORLD must be made into film, then it HAS to be the big screen so
that true juctice can be done!

Tony R-A

Steve DeGroof

unread,
Apr 27, 1994, 7:54:43 PM4/27/94
to
>In article <6b.3574.23...@sound.com>,
>tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:

>> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
>> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
>> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
>> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
>> I've read over the years. :^)

Er, just for the record, the radio series came first.

SD

Brian A. Mellor

unread,
Apr 28, 1994, 10:04:43 AM4/28/94
to
In article <Cox52...@cix.compulink.co.uk>, tst...@cix.compulink.co.uk ("A Reid Anderson Mobile ") writes:
|> Tony.T...@sound.com wrote:
|>
|> > Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
|> > novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
|> > THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
|> > the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
|> > I've read over the years. :^)
|>
|> I say NO and thrice NO! Don't let Auntie ruin Pterry's masterpieces,
|> PLEASE!
|>


|> Tony R-A

Didn't they do a good job with Truckers a few years ago ?
Also, HHGTTG - what do consider the masterpiece, the radio or book ?

Brian

David Jose Roy

unread,
Apr 28, 1994, 11:02:39 AM4/28/94
to
Brian A. Mellor (b...@hermes.mod.uk) wrote:


: |> Tony R-A


THE TOWEL!

David


: Brian

V. Dasmohapatra

unread,
Apr 29, 1994, 7:00:00 AM4/29/94
to
In article <Cox2o...@liverpool.ac.uk> dwh...@ash-40.liv.ac.uk (Mr D.M. Whittle) writes:
>From: dwh...@ash-40.liv.ac.uk (Mr D.M. Whittle)
>Subject: RE: JOHNNY AND THE DEAD
>Date: Wed, 27 Apr 1994 12:00:17 GMT

>
>Am I the only person that thought red dwawrf was a load of over-hyped
>tripe? I remeber Grant and Naylor being interviewed whilst plugging it
>and they said it would not feature "aliens, robots are tacky special
>effects.This is a comedy about personalities." Until they realised
>that people wanted to see tacky special effects. And gee I guess they
>never read HHGTTG, eh? I mean the time travel language, mixing all the
>tenses, was their idea, obviously. And The Inquisitor concept wasnt a bit
>like Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.

>And for all who say this is posted on the wrong group-you started it.
>(The R.D. books weren't too bad though........)

>Dave

>(still in exile)

Everone ready? Ok.
1
2
3

FLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAMEFLAME(Remember:Quick uncontrolled bursts)FLAMEFLAME!
____________________________________________________________________________
| |
| "FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC" Vivek Dasmohapatra |
| King's College |
| Cambridge |
| "TO PROTECT AND SERVE" |
|____________________________________________________________________________|

peag...@void.tdcnet.nl

unread,
Apr 28, 1994, 5:47:51 PM4/28/94
to
Ma...@drak.demon.co.uk ("Patric S. Toms") writes:

>In article <6b.3574.23...@sound.com>
> tony.t...@sound.com "Tony Trujillo" writes:

>> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
>> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
>> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
>> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
>> I've read over the years. :^)

>Unfortunately to warrant the attention there would probably have to be
>a radio series, several tapes and records, multiple stage productions
>before the BBC would even sit up and take notice.

I think the BBC are well aware of the interest in Terry's works and they
have already done a serialisation of Truckers. It wasn't (at) all bad,
actually.

--
Philip Green. | I express preference for a chronological
peag...@void.tdcnet.nl | sequence of events which precludes a violence.
peag...@hacktic.nl | one, two, clonk!, three.

Daniel Pead

unread,
Apr 29, 1994, 12:03:16 PM4/29/94
to
In article <vd10002.8...@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
vd1...@hermes.cam.ac.uk (V. Dasmohapatra) writes:

> >I remeber Grant and Naylor being interviewed whilst plugging it
> >and they said it would not feature "aliens, robots are tacky special
> >effects.This is a comedy about personalities." Until they realised
> >that people wanted to see tacky special effects.

The story on later plugs was that the BBC powers-that-be had a strong
anti-SF prejudice and could only be persuaded to take the series if the
SF angle was played down. Considering the BBC's record on axing Dr
Who, forcing Star Trek TNG fans to leave work early on wednesdays (with
the occasional 2 year holiday while they rererereshow all the
originals), refusing to re-run Blake's 7 and generally cancelling
anything remotely like SF at the slightest squeak of chalk on snooker
cue... this sounds highly believable.

---------------------------------
Daniel Pead
Shell Centre for Maths Education
Nottingham University

A G Jackson

unread,
Apr 30, 1994, 5:30:41 AM4/30/94
to
In article <5282.31...@evaware.org>, dave...@evaware.org (Dave Bell) writes:
|> -=> Quoting Silver Omega to All <=-

|>
|> > Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
|> > novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
|> > THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
|> > the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
|> > I've read over the years. :^)
|>
|> SO> Now that's a *much* better idea than the movie thread. The Beeb
|> SO> actually might make something half-decent. And, speaking of the HHG
|> SO> series, you could use the fellow who did the voice-overs for the
|> SO> typical Pratchian footnotes and similar comic comentary.
|>
|> Even better, they could take the Hitch-Hiker books and make a radio
|> series out of them.
|>
|> (Do you really need a smiley?)

Excellent idea. A BBC production of a Discworld novel. Far more productive than
all these film casting threads, and far more likely to happen/work.

So...

Who's going to play the Librarian? :-)

Adrian

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Adrian Jackson | a.g.j...@durham.ac.uk | 27 North Bailey, DURHAM |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| If it was exactly the same it just wouldn't be the same... |
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Dave Bell

unread,
Apr 29, 1994, 2:04:00 PM4/29/94
to
-=> Quoting Silver Omega to All <=-

> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD


> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
> I've read over the years. :^)

SO> Now that's a *much* better idea than the movie thread. The Beeb


SO> actually might make something half-decent. And, speaking of the HHG
SO> series, you could use the fellow who did the voice-overs for the
SO> typical Pratchian footnotes and similar comic comentary.

Even better, they could take the Hitch-Hiker books and make a radio
series out of them.

(Do you really need a smiley?)

Dave


... "Bollocks," said Pooh being more forthright than usual
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.11

----
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+
|EvaWare BBS, Home of Orator QWK reader for Windows, Sysop:Nick Dyer|
| Tel 44-507-608645. V32/V32Bis V42/V42Bis HST Fidonet (2:252/158) |
+-------------------------------------------------------------------+

Andy Howard

unread,
Apr 29, 1994, 4:18:00 PM4/29/94
to

TT> Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
TT> novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
TT> THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY.

Hitchhiker's started life as a BBC radio series, the books came much
later...

TT> I consider any of
TT> the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
TT> I've read over the years. :^)

Agreed.

---
. RM 1.3 U0411 . By the time we've made it, we've had it.

Andrew Ellam

unread,
Apr 30, 1994, 1:30:15 PM4/30/94
to
tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
>Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
>novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
>THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
>the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
>I've read over the years. :^)

Um. Judging by the bits of JAtD that have been televised, I'm
not too keen. Mind you, I'm biased against the beeb at the
moment (The Net is such a piece of quality journalism).

Andy.
--
"Some may have more fish than you / Others take a different view" - Des'ree

Andrew Eacott

unread,
May 1, 1994, 5:15:57 AM5/1/94
to
In article <7Bmla...@drebin.demon.co.uk> an...@drebin.demon.co.uk (Andrew Ellam) writes:
>tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
>>Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
>>novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
>>THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
>>the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
>>I've read over the years. :^)
>
>Um. Judging by the bits of JAtD that have been televised, I'm
>not too keen. Mind you, I'm biased against the beeb at the
>moment (The Net is such a piece of quality journalism).

You've got to give The Net some credit. One of the first TV programmes to
actually mention the Internet without trying (too hard) to spread worldwide
panic about how it's a den of thieves, terrorists and pirates.
The rest of the programme is a bit naff though.

Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
I'd never heard anything about it on TV.

peag...@void.tdcnet.nl

unread,
May 1, 1994, 6:42:23 PM5/1/94
to
ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:

>Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
>programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
>I'd never heard anything about it on TV.

It's the same in the Dutch media.

David Jose Roy

unread,
May 2, 1994, 11:37:53 AM5/2/94
to
Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: In article <7Bmla...@drebin.demon.co.uk> an...@drebin.demon.co.uk (Andrew Ellam) writes:
: >tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
: >>Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
: >>novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
: >>THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
: >>the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
: >>I've read over the years. :^)
: >
: >Um. Judging by the bits of JAtD that have been televised, I'm
^^^^

OK. I give up. (Je donne ma langue au chat, pour ceux qui
suivent les histoires de cruate feline...) What is that?

David

: >not too keen. Mind you, I'm biased against the beeb at the

Ethical Holdings plc

unread,
May 2, 1994, 11:06:07 AM5/2/94
to

In article <767808...@sound.demon.co.uk>, Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) writes:

>
>Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
>programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
>I'd never heard anything about it on TV.
>
>

It's the same in the newspapers. Next thing you know some stupid
computer mag will pick up on it, and then where will we be ?

MikeB "Oooook"

Laura Johnson

unread,
May 2, 1994, 2:38:55 PM5/2/94
to
peag...@void.tdcnet.nl wrote:
: ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:

: >Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
: >programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
: >I'd never heard anything about it on TV.

: It's the same in the Dutch media.

I've not noticed it on U.S. TV (maybe 'cuz I don't watch much), but last
week it was mentioned in the TV Guide magazine. And Newsweek. And Playboy.
And (wait for it) Vogue.

Bret Kramer (esq)

unread,
May 2, 1994, 9:23:43 PM5/2/94
to
Sadly, I must also add the two pillars of 'teen-age girl' society,
Sassy and YM to the list. One article talked about 'How to Meet Boys'. Ack.

--
"I want to conquer the world and give all these idiots a brand-new religion-"
Bret Kramer (esq) {The Evil Opposite of Elvis} bkr...@macalstr.edu

Andrew Ellam

unread,
May 2, 1994, 2:21:33 PM5/2/94
to
Strictly NO CASTING in this thread, By Order Of The Management!

sf...@central.susx.ac.uk (David Jose Roy) writes:
> an...@drebin.demon.co.uk (Andrew Ellam) writes:
> >tony.t...@sound.com (Tony Trujillo) writes:
> >>Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
> >>novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
> >>THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY. I consider any of
> >>the DISCWORLD books more worthy than any of the HHGTTG novels
> >>I've read over the years. :^)
> >
> >Um. Judging by the bits of JAtD that have been televised, I'm
> > ^^^^
> OK. I give up. (Je donne ma langue au chat, pour ceux qui
>suivent les histoires de cruate feline...) What is that?

Actually, I meant JatD - Johnny and the Dead - aka J&tD.

What was the French?

Robert Hummerstone

unread,
May 3, 1994, 6:26:57 PM5/3/94
to

> : >
> : >Um. Judging by the bits of JAtD that have been televised, I'm
> ^^^^
>
> OK. I give up. (Je donne ma langue au chat, pour ceux qui
> suivent les histoires de cruate feline...) What is that?

Jonny and the dead I would think

Robert Hummerstone

Andrew Eacott

unread,
May 3, 1994, 4:12:04 PM5/3/94
to
In article <2q3hbv$b...@tadpole.fc.hp.com> lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:
>peag...@void.tdcnet.nl wrote:
>: ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:
>
>: >Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
>: >programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
>: >I'd never heard anything about it on TV.
>
>: It's the same in the Dutch media.
>
>I've not noticed it on U.S. TV (maybe 'cuz I don't watch much), but last
>week it was mentioned in the TV Guide magazine. And Newsweek. And Playboy.
>And (wait for it) Vogue.

Vogue ? That would have been interesting. Did it have anything to do with
what colour anorak was the latest fashion among the net community ?

Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

There's a colour supplement which is included in a *quality* Sunday newspaper.
It's called uncensored and is unsurprisingly about censorship.
Anyway, they've picked up on how the Internet is used to break the law.
They listed a case in which a murder took place in Canada and a judge tried
to limit any reporting on it entering Canada from the US. I think he basically
suceeded until......
[Steals himself for horrorstruck expression]
(in the words of the article) "Internet deviants" sent the minutes of the
trial from the US to Canada newspapers.
This supplement also implies that the Internet is a worldwide network for
hackers etc.

Ahh well, take what we can get I suppose.

John Elliott

unread,
May 3, 1994, 7:47:35 PM5/3/94
to
In article <1...@ethicalh.win-uk.net>, Ethical Holdings plc (mi...@ethicalh.win-uk.net) wrote:
:

This has actually happened... Take a copy of 'PCW Plus', turn to the last
page before the back cover... It's only a matter of time now before we get
things like Nintendo whatdyoucallems used for posting to a.f.p; and they have
only got a few buttons. Imagine:

"Re: Beer
From: consol...@dixons.somewhere

LEFTRIGHTUPUPUPLEFTFIREFIREFIREFIFIRELEFTDOWNFIREFIREFIRE

--"

so not much change from what we have at the moment.

* *
*
*** *
*
* *


----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Elliott |BLOODNOK: "Why have you got such a long face, Seagoon?"
m93...@ecs.ox.ac.uk |SEAGOON: "Heavy dentures, Sir!" -The Goon Show
:--------------------------------------------------------------------------)

Martin Walser

unread,
May 4, 1994, 3:50:02 AM5/4/94
to
>Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
>in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

Actually, I don't think the word is used at all. Though I'm not quite
clear about the meaning... it seems to have more than one that I've seen
here:
1) a geeky fan-type person (be it Trek, Fantasy/SciFi or whatever)
2) an ancient egyptian religious symbol of a cross with a looped top

O
-+-
|

Like that. Sometimes they're worn by hard-core "alternative" fantasy fans
(you know... the ones who are *really* into Tarot/Mother Goddess/whatever).

Am I way off? As for the first definition, geek/nerd tend to suffice though
they're useage seems to have fallen lately. The word for the second definition
in American english is "Ankh" surprisingly enough. (ahh-nk).

Co-inky-dink?

Mart (wal...@midget.towson.edu)

David Jose Roy

unread,
May 4, 1994, 7:10:37 AM5/4/94
to
Robert Hummerstone (rob...@cix.compulink.co.uk) wrote:

: > : >

I hate it when I ask really obvious questions. Thanks for not
flaming me.

David

: Robert Hummerstone

Mark Thompson

unread,
May 4, 1994, 7:35:59 AM5/4/94
to
Martin Walser (wal...@midget.towson.edu) wrote:
: >Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
: >in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

: 2) an ancient egyptian religious symbol of a cross with a looped top

: O
: -+-
: |

: Am I way off? As for the first definition, geek/nerd tend to suffice though


: they're useage seems to have fallen lately. The word for the second definition
: in American english is "Ankh" surprisingly enough. (ahh-nk).

The word for the symbol you drew is "ankh" in British English as well.
Dunno where you got the idea that it was called an anorak from.

By the way - I used to have a kagool (blue), but then I turned nine.

Mark
--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mark Thompson - ICL "Let's go to work..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CABMath

unread,
May 4, 1994, 11:21:30 AM5/4/94
to
In article <768021...@sound.demon.co.uk>
ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:

> Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it
> in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?


Most merkins wouldn't even know what an anorak is.

Chris

Laura Johnson

unread,
May 4, 1994, 2:46:57 PM5/4/94
to
Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: Vogue ? That would have been interesting. Did it have anything to do with

: what colour anorak was the latest fashion among the net community ?

Nah, but close .... "Fashions in the year 2000." And you know, I *saw* their
survey some months ago on some group or other. I told 'em "It's only seven[1]
years away, how radical could the changes be?" but of course they didn't quote
*me*. They quoted some netter who suggested a full-body condom.

: Just out of interest, does the *anorak* have the same stigma attached to it

: in the US or is it a UK-only phenomenon ?

Not at all. I'd never heard the term till I saw it on Usenet. Here, it's an
obscure, rarely-used word that refers to some kind of jacket (no doubt
similar to your anoraks, I guess[2]). I think they sell one in Land's End.
We don't have train-spotters, either.


[1] It was then.
[2] Not meaning, of course, to imply that you personally wear an anorak.

Patric S. Toms

unread,
May 4, 1994, 5:01:22 PM5/4/94
to
In article <CpA07...@oasis.icl.co.uk>
m...@oasis.icl.co.uk "Mark Thompson" writes:

> Martin Walser (wal...@midget.towson.edu) wrote:
>
> : 2) an ancient egyptian religious symbol of a cross with a looped top
>
> : O
> : -+-
> : |
>
> : Am I way off? As for the first definition, geek/nerd tend to suffice though
> : they're useage seems to have fallen lately. The word for the second
> definition
> : in American english is "Ankh" surprisingly enough. (ahh-nk).
>
> The word for the symbol you drew is "ankh" in British English as well.
> Dunno where you got the idea that it was called an anorak from.
>

It is an ancient egyptian symbol of life from which are derived the male and
female symbols of circle-with-cross (male) and circle-with-arrow (female).
It's modern day image is supposedly representative of someone who is ready,
willing and able at the drop of a hat (there we go again)

-- Magus
************** ****************** **********************
Patric S. Toms Do you feel safe ? Ma...@drak.demon.co.uk
'I have a slight inferiority complex'
*******************************************************************************

Robin Parkinson

unread,
May 4, 1994, 7:59:47 AM5/4/94
to
Andrew Eacott (ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: You've got to give The Net some credit. One of the first TV programmes to

: actually mention the Internet without trying (too hard) to spread worldwide
: panic about how it's a den of thieves, terrorists and pirates.
: The rest of the programme is a bit naff though.

: Have you noticed how the Internet is suddenly THE thing to mention on a TV
: programme. I must seen several references in the last few weeks, and before
: I'd never heard anything about it on TV.

Yup - did you see "Tomorrow's World" a week or so back - the presenter managed
to say "information superhighway" about five times in a three-minute article.

(As a further irrelevance - have you noticed that the presenters of TW have
changed over the last ten years from three men and a token woman to three
women and a token man?)

- Robin.

PS to Terry - is there going to be an information superhighway in "Unclear
Physics"?
---
Disclaimer: You can probably find ICL somwhere along the information
superhighway. Me - I usually prefer the scenic route...
---
Robin Parkinson r...@jasper.rb.icl.co.uk
ICL Retail Systems, Bracknell, England R.Parkinson@BRA0801
"I am playing the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order."
- Eric Morecambe

Chris E. Becht

unread,
May 4, 1994, 10:31:37 PM5/4/94
to
CABMath (bar...@sjdccd.cc.ca.us) wrote:
: In article <768021...@sound.demon.co.uk>
: ajea...@sound.demon.co.uk (Andrew Eacott) writes:

Well, I know what an anorak is, just not much use here in the desert.

David Jose Roy

unread,
May 5, 1994, 6:12:51 AM5/5/94
to
Andrew Ellam (an...@drebin.demon.co.uk) wrote:
: Strictly NO CASTING in this thread, By Order Of The Management!

: What was the French?

"I give up", in French, comes out as "I give my tongue to the
cat" (stilted translation, but I wanted to stick to the French word
order). So, "I give my tongue to the cat, for those who are following
the stories of feline cruelty".

David. (Who can't believe he didn't know what JatD was.)

: Andy.

Steve DeGroof

unread,
May 4, 1994, 9:23:18 PM5/4/94
to

My dictionary says it's a Greenland Eskimo word meaning 'parka'. Funny, I
thought it meant 'raincoat'.

SD

Mr D.M. Whittle

unread,
May 5, 1994, 7:35:09 AM5/5/94
to
In article <1994May5.0...@lssec.bt.co.uk>, dhar...@lssec.bt.co.uk (Derek Harding) writes:
> You read playboy? ;-)
>
> It's the same in the UK. In the last week Ive seen two TV programmes (remember we only have 4 channels) and numerous newspaper articles which have mentioned the net.
>
> Derek
> ---
> Windoze - just say no!
>
There is now a series on BBC2 called "The Net".Wonder how long it took to think
of that title.........

dave
>

Tony Trujillo

unread,
May 4, 1994, 1:02:00 AM5/4/94
to

|>> > Sure wish the BBC would decide to take one of the DISCWORLD
|>> > novels and turn it into a miniseries like they did for
|>> > THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY.
|>> I say NO and thrice NO! Don't let Auntie ruin Pterry's masterpieces,
|>> PLEASE!

B> Didn't they do a good job with Truckers a few years ago ?

I sure wish I could find the vid over here in the
states. I had heard the Beeb did to a good job with
TRUCKERS but I've never seen it. :^<

... "Never trust a man with horns on his hat!"
* Silver Xpress V4.00 SW01177
I

Simon Yates

unread,
May 5, 1994, 2:36:45 AM5/5/94
to
In article <2q8qj1$s...@tadpole.fc.hp.com> lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

[SNIP]

>We don't have train-spotters, either.

Yes you do - see the thriving group rec.railroad.


Wombat

Laura Johnson

unread,
May 5, 1994, 10:30:55 AM5/5/94
to
Derek Harding (dhar...@lssec.bt.co.uk) wrote:
: In article b...@tadpole.fc.hp.com, lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:
: >I've not noticed it on U.S. TV (maybe 'cuz I don't watch much), but last

: >week it was mentioned in the TV Guide magazine. And Newsweek. And Playboy.
: >And (wait for it) Vogue.

: You read playboy? ;-)

Well, it's better-written than Vogue! (If I *must* explain, my husband
takes it, and upon seeing "ADDICTED TO THE NET" or some such on the
cover, yeah, sure I read it. Some of the interviews are quite good too.
In other words, I read it for the articles ;-> If I were queer, I don't
think I'd be attracted to *those* girls...)


Laura Johnson

unread,
May 5, 1994, 10:25:19 AM5/5/94
to
Hey. We've got tupperware too you know.

Mark A. Hood

unread,
May 5, 1994, 10:48:16 AM5/5/94
to
Previously Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:
> in the UK, grown men (I've never met a woman train spotter)

I have the dubious honour of having seen a female train-spotter at Crewe
station. I was at a table with three complete strangers (more of whom
below) who waved at all the trainspotters they saw, and to my knowledge
instigated the sport of trainspotterspotting. Their comment on the
arrival of a female trainspotter on the platform was:
"At last we know where baby trainspotters come from."
"Shame really, that all those rumours we heard about them were
completely unfounded."

These were the same three who shared a packet of biscuits over the
table, and only one of thier number could ever pull out a whole one.
The other two always got halves, or quarters of biscuit. Eventually,
this all became too much for one of them, who grabbed the packet,
smashed it against the side of the table six or seven times, threw it to
the floor, stamped on it, and returned it to the table panting and
swetaing slightly, Whereupon his cohort planted his fist upon the top
of the packet, crushing it again. The third member of the party calmly
reached into the packet, withdrew a whole, unbroken biscuit and ate it.
The rest of the table collapsed into hysterics (me) or apposite rage
(the other two). Fair sped the journey along.

Mark
--
|X| I speak for no-one but myself, and no-one speaks for me.
The C Programming Language: combines the flexibility of assembly language
with the power of assembly language.

Mark Thompson

unread,
May 5, 1994, 9:18:18 AM5/5/94
to
Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:


: [5] "The Big Breakfast", Channel 4. This show is distinguished by having both
: the most irritating [8] presenter (Chris Evans) and the most mind-numbingly
: attractive presenter (Gaby Roslin) ever to appear on breakfast TV in the UK.

Actually I always thought that the woman that did the sports round
up on The Channel 4 Daily was much more attractive than Gaby Roslin. Yes,
I was that Channel 4 Daily viewer.

: ---
: Standard disclaimer: ICL is not a train spotter, although some train spotters
: might be ICL.

How can it be a standard disclaimer when you rewrite it each time?

Worm

unread,
May 5, 1994, 11:30:53 AM5/5/94
to
Mark A. Hood (ee1...@mail.bris.ac.uk) wrote:
>Previously Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:
>> in the UK, grown men (I've never met a woman train spotter)

<blurb>

>station. I was at a table with three complete strangers (more of whom
>below) who waved at all the trainspotters they saw, and to my knowledge
>instigated the sport of trainspotterspotting. Their comment on the

So this makes you a trainspotterspotterspotter......hmmm. I don't think we
want to get into this.....

Worm.

--
________________________________________________________________________________
I wanna find one face that ain't looking through me
I wanna find one place, I wanna spit in the face of these
Badlands...
_______________...@city.ac.uk______________________________________

Derek Harding

unread,
May 5, 1994, 4:19:09 AM5/5/94
to
In article b...@tadpole.fc.hp.com, lau...@cnd.hp.com (Laura Johnson) writes:

You read playboy? ;-)

Iain

unread,
May 5, 1994, 11:46:13 AM5/5/94
to
In article <1994May5.1...@city.ac.uk>, Worm <xc...@city.ac.uk> wrote:
>Mark A. Hood (ee1...@mail.bris.ac.uk) wrote:
>>Previously Robin Parkinson (r...@rb.icl.co.uk) wrote:
>>> in the UK, grown men (I've never met a woman train spotter)

[previously cut stuff]

>>station. I was at a table with three complete strangers (more of whom
>>below) who waved at all the trainspotters they saw, and to my knowledge
>>instigated the sport of trainspotterspotting. Their comment on the
>
>So this makes you a trainspotterspotterspotter......hmmm. I don't think we
>want to get into this.....

Which makes you a trainspotterspotterspotterspotter... Yep, you were right,
I don't want to get into this, as I've just made myself a train... ARGH!!!!

>Worm.

Iain

Colm Buckley

unread,
May 5, 1994, 9:25:08 AM5/5/94