(I) Catching up

Paul .Jamison

Aug 16, 2021, 12:06:40 AM8/16/21
(This is a combination of two posts I made on Facebook some time back. Originally with pictures which I can't post here.)

A little over a year and a half ago I fell in my house and couldn't get up Thankfully I'd left my front door unlocked and a friend dropped by shortly afterwards. I ended up in the hospital and a are facility for a couple of weeks. Long story short, I had blood pressure, dizziness and other problems, and I evidently have Parkinson's. My friend Shanna is now my full-time caregiver and I live in her house now. Long-term, we need to figure out what to do with my house - I'm probably not going back there- and my property, particularly my library. For now, we're surviving day to day.Thankfully I haven’t fallen lately. I’ve also let myself go. I haven’t felt the need to shave, for instance, and the need for self-isolation hasn’t made any difference to me; I haven’t been out of the house in quite awhile nor have I felt the need to go anywhere. If nothing else, it’s been depressing and a bit boring.

I believe that the following steps should be taken if life gets you down:

1) Take fuzzy critter,
2) apply to affected area,
3) repeat dosage as required.

And in June I got the chance to do just that.

It turns out that a couple that Shanna knows share their lives with a ferret. The little wuzzle is Tipsy. They brought her by the house to meet me. She was chill about being with me, though she didn’t pay much attention to me and, well, you know, wanted to crawl off and burrow under the blanket. I figured it was best to keep hold of her, and she didn’t put up a fuss.

It occurred to me that I hadn’t held a ferret in over 20 years, since my Al left for the Bridge. I think this helped, and I hope Tipsy comes to visit again.

And in July - another ferret fix!

As you probably know, there are folks out there who make it their mission in life to help needy furkids - ferrets, cats, dogs, etc. - and these saints have founded many rescue shelters across the country for this very purpose. They don't do it for the money or the ego boost, but for the furkids (and scalekids and featherkids, no doubt, but let's focus here). It's a lot of hard work, and they could use all the help they can get. Well, a friend of mine named Lisa came up with a good idea. Almost 8 years ago she founded Rescuer's Relief, Inc. It is a nonprofit organization whose stated purpose is to travel North America and visit ferret rescuers and rescue shelters to give a helping hand, mixing up and feeding soupies, cleaning litter boxes, giving meds and in general addressing shelter burnout. Lisa travels all over in an RV, with some of her ferrety kids for company.

But it's not just shelters that she visits. In July she came through Kansas and stopped to visit me! My health is fragile and Lisa thought some ferret therapy was in order. So I got to meet the guiding hand of Rescuers' Relief and to get a ferret fix. I got to cuddle four sweet little ones and I GOT SOME WEASEL KISSES! Lisa took some photos of the occasion, and so did Shanna. Maybe somehow I can share them.

The visit did a lot to cheer me up. I hope I get another wuzzle fix some time.

Paul .Jamison

Sep 10, 2021, 3:50:49 AM9/10/21
I'm coming back to this because I received some sad news today. One of the Rescuers Relief ferrets I cuddled with - a sweet guy named Enoki - was helped to the Rainbow Bridge today. I was told he had insulinoma - due to pancreatic tumors - but what did it for him, according to the vet, was likely bone cancer. Enokki is at peace now.

Enoki was an ambassador ferret for Rescuers Relief. He was well-loved by many humans who never met him. I certainly feel honored to have met him and to have gotten kisses. I feel so sad.

ppin...@gmail.com

Oct 5, 2021, 10:31:59 AM10/5/21
On Friday, 10 September 2021 at 08:50:49 UTC+1, paul...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I'm coming back to this because I received some sad news today. One of the Rescuers Relief ferrets I cuddled with - a sweet guy named Enoki - was helped to the Rainbow Bridge today. I was told he had insulinoma - due to pancreatic tumors - but what did it for him, according to the vet, was likely bone cancer. Enokki is at peace now.
>
> Enoki was an ambassador ferret for Rescuers Relief. He was well-loved by many humans who never met him. I certainly feel honored to have met him and to have gotten kisses. I feel so sad.

- hi, paul; sad news, but you remember enoki and his ways; if you have access to - or maybe are already
on farcebk, you may have enokiphotos to post and let others know about - and to give rescuers relief a
mention (and maybe a link - but make it clear they're strictly not a commercial website in your post!) at
the same time - ?

- farcebk's by no means perfect, but it serves up to a point; and quite a few ex-afpers are around. . .

- love, ppint.

Paul .Jamison

Oct 7, 2021, 4:18:43 AM10/7/21
Way ahead of you on that score, ppint. I had already posted this on Poofbook (that's what ferrets call farcebk), including pictures.

As far as Rescuer's Relief, here's a link to their Facebook page. I don't know if they have a dedicated webpage.

https://www.facebook.com/RescuersRelief

Thank you for the response.