The whole HUGO thing...

Terry Pratchett

Aug 10, 2005, 1:59:24 AM8/10/05
Folks,

I'm getting e-mails about this now the 'top 15' list has been posted, so
I thought a note here would be sensible.

Yes, I withdrew 'Going Postal'. The reason was that I wanted to *enjoy*
the Worldcon. It's not been a good 18 months, and I just *know* that
the Japanese meal I had with friends that night did me more good than an
evening of suspense:-)

--
Terry Pratchett

phil...@see.signature.uk

Aug 10, 2005, 3:24:50 AM8/10/05

>Yes, I withdrew 'Going Postal'. The reason was that I wanted to *enjoy*
>the Worldcon.

You seemed to be enjoying yourself. I know I did.

It's not been a good 18 months,

:::PTerry:::

Philippa
Philippa, Barbarian houri!

'I was Death! Death on a horse!' - Methos, Highlander
'Dere c'n onlie be whin t'ousand!' - Pterry, CJ

mcv

Aug 10, 2005, 4:34:37 AM8/10/05

Couldn't you leave GP in and still have a nice dinner, relax and not
think too much about the award?

mcv.
--
"Serenity is a very personal work with political resonance and a
heartfelt message about the human condition and stuff blowing up."

cyba

Aug 10, 2005, 5:01:39 AM8/10/05
>Couldn't you leave GP in and still have a nice dinner, relax and >not
>think too much about the award?

I find this post a little inconsiderate and unthinking. Is it not
enough that Terry should explain his reasons publically without being
questioned in the manner? He has stated his reasons, and we should
respect that.

I cannot speak for Terry, obviously, but as a creative person who has
competed on the national and world stage in my chosen field I can vouch
for how stressful these events can be, and in the case of the world
competition led to me having what used to be called a "nervous
breakdown".

These competitions and awards often compare fish with fowl, in my case,
no-one had ever played my instrument in the manner I devised, so was it
comparable with a guy who could only perform the one flashy piece he
had been playing for the past five years? Perhaps there are some
parallels in the world of literature?

In any case why does it matter to you - mcv - whether Terry's book is
up for an award or not. Surely it is his perogative to compete or not,
and as observers we really have no right to question his decision.
Perhaps you feel it would validate your own admiration of his work as
you could say "look - That Pratchett bloke that I go about won an
award!" ?

And to Terry I would say - relax, enjoy yourself - you've earnt it!

Peter Ellis

Aug 10, 2005, 5:16:56 AM8/10/05
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, cyba wrote:

> These competitions and awards often compare fish with fowl, in my case,
> no-one had ever played my instrument in the manner I devised,

You can't just leave it like that!

Bagpipes played with a hoover? Viola played with a chainsaw? Trumpet
played from the... other end?

Enquiring minds,

Peter

Edward Cherlin

Aug 10, 2005, 5:36:49 AM8/10/05
mcv wrote:

> Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> I'm getting e-mails about this now the 'top 15' list has been posted, so
>> I thought a note here would be sensible.
>>
>> Yes, I withdrew 'Going Postal'. The reason was that I wanted to *enjoy*
>> the Worldcon. It's not been a good 18 months,

I don't know what I'm talking about here, but you have my sympathy for
whatever it is. Good luck discovering what makes you happy, and going for
it. All the best, etc. etc. and thanks for GP.

>> and I just *know* that
>> the Japanese meal I had with friends that night did me more good than an
>> evening of suspense:-)

We've been lucky to have a quite decent Totoro sushi bar and lots of friends
at BayCon, so I can heartily agree with this sentiment from my distant
experience.

> Couldn't you leave GP in and still have a nice dinner, relax and not
> think too much about the award?

That's easy for you to say. pTerry said otherwise, and it was his choice to
make.

> mcv.

Slartibartfast said it best. He won an award for Norway, you know.

CCA

Aug 10, 2005, 5:47:36 AM8/10/05
Terry Pratchett wrote:

> Yes, I withdrew 'Going Postal'. The reason was that I wanted to *enjoy*
> the Worldcon. It's not been a good 18 months, and I just *know* that
> the Japanese meal I had with friends that night did me more good than an
> evening of suspense:-)

I hope Worldcon was enjoyable:-) (And that goes for anyone else here
who went, too)
CCA

mcv

Aug 10, 2005, 6:00:48 AM8/10/05
Edward Cherlin <edward....@etssg.com> wrote:

> mcv wrote:
>
>> Couldn't you leave GP in and still have a nice dinner, relax and not
>> think too much about the award?
>
> That's easy for you to say. pTerry said otherwise, and it was his choice to
> make.

It is and it was. It wasn't meant as criticism, just as an honest question.
Ofcourse after posting I realised that being in the running for an award
would probably mean you'd actually have to be present and have a speech
prepared and everything, so can I still blame it on not being very smart
this early in the morning?

Terry Pratchett

Aug 10, 2005, 4:14:14 AM8/10/05
In message <lrajf1touc2i6n4ct...@4ax.com>,
phil...@see.signature.uk writes

>You seemed to be enjoying yourself. I know I did.

I think it's the best I've ever attended. Boston was a lot of fun, but
was too busy to really get a grip on it.
--
Terry Pratchett

mcv

Aug 10, 2005, 6:07:57 AM8/10/05
cyba <rac...@steelpan.co.uk> wrote:

> In any case why does it matter to you - mcv - whether Terry's book is
> up for an award or not. Surely it is his perogative to compete or not,
> and as observers we really have no right to question his decision.
> Perhaps you feel it would validate your own admiration of his work as
> you could say "look - That Pratchett bloke that I go about won an
> award!" ?

I couldn't care less about awards, which is probably why I underestimate
the stress of the situation. I don't know what kind of hoops HUGO nominees
need to jump through, but in my naivety I figured that with the book
already written, you'd only need to wait for people to give you the
award.

And then after posting I realised that at the very least you'd have to
be present and have some speech ready, and who knows what other hoops
the nominees have to jump through? I certainly don't.

Lister

Aug 10, 2005, 7:08:57 AM8/10/05

Glad you had fun.

Wish I could have made it

--
How can I meet Kylie Minogue?

Jonathan Ellis

Aug 10, 2005, 7:21:11 AM8/10/05

"mcv" <mcv...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> cyba <rac...@steelpan.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > In any case why does it matter to you - mcv - whether Terry's book
is
> > up for an award or not. Surely it is his perogative to compete or
not,
> > and as observers we really have no right to question his decision.
> > Perhaps you feel it would validate your own admiration of his work
as
> > you could say "look - That Pratchett bloke that I go about won an
> > award!" ?
>
> I couldn't care less about awards, which is probably why I
underestimate
> the stress of the situation. I don't know what kind of hoops HUGO
nominees
> need to jump through, but in my naivety I figured that with the book
> already written, you'd only need to wait for people to give you the
> award.
>
> And then after posting I realised that at the very least you'd have
> be present and have some speech ready, and who knows what other
hoops
> the nominees have to jump through? I certainly don't.

Who needs an award when you've had to (in what I believe to be
Pterry's own words) change banks owing to having filled the first one
up? :-)

Jonathan.

mcv

Aug 10, 2005, 7:50:23 AM8/10/05

Quite true. I suppose there are lots of other authors who could really
use that award to help their career, whereas it probably won't make a
whole lot of difference for Pterry's career. So actually it was a very
nice thing to do for the younger, less successful nominees.

Arthur Hagen

Aug 10, 2005, 8:43:02 AM8/10/05
mcv <mcv...@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Jonathan Ellis <jona...@franz-liszt.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>> "mcv" <mcv...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>>
>> Who needs an award when you've had to (in what I believe to be
>> Pterry's own words) change banks owing to having filled the first one
>> up? :-)
>
> Quite true. I suppose there are lots of other authors who could really
> use that award to help their career, whereas it probably won't make a
> whole lot of difference for Pterry's career. So actually it was a very
> nice thing to do for the younger, less successful nominees.

You don't have to ascribe altruistic motives to Mr Pratchett's action
when he already has given you a reason. And besides, it wasn't "a very
nice thing to do for the youger, less successful nominees", as the
winner, the Jonathan Strange book, had a landslide nomination, and it
would take a minor miracle for any of the other books to win.
And, more to the point, none of the other nominees were "younger, less
successful". Iain M. Banks, who got the fifth spot when Mr Pratchett
declined (and eventually "won" 3rd place), can't possibly be considered
a less successful newbie.

Regards,
--
*Art

vinny....@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2005, 11:01:17 AM8/10/05
Wish I was the one having the Japanese meal... Oh well its only been 2
years... So did you enjoy the Worldcon?

cyba

Aug 10, 2005, 3:18:58 PM8/10/05
I was really trying not to be specific about my instrument as it
always raises so many more questions. Try my website:
http://wwwsteelpan.co.uk

Incidentally, I bought a little friend for Sushi - my Japanese Calico
Ryukin (fancy goldfish) which I have named Bento. I think I have room
in the aquarium for one more - "Sashimi" perhaps?

Oh and Peter, I enjoyed your suggestions - especially the viola one...

rich hammett

Aug 10, 2005, 3:31:05 PM8/10/05
Minä suojelen sinua kaikelta, mitä ikinä keksitkin sanoa, cyba:

> I was really trying not to be specific about my instrument as it
> always raises so many more questions. Try my website:
> http://www.steelpan.co.uk

No, THAT website won't raise any more questions. :)

You might have just sold another CD, tho.

rich

> Incidentally, I bought a little friend for Sushi - my Japanese Calico
> Ryukin (fancy goldfish) which I have named Bento. I think I have room
> in the aquarium for one more - "Sashimi" perhaps?

> Oh and Peter, I enjoyed your suggestions - especially the viola one...

--
-to reply, it's hot not warm
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

John Duncan Yoyo

Aug 10, 2005, 5:31:56 PM8/10/05
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:43:02 -0400, "Arthur Hagen"
<a...@broomstick.com> wrote:

>You don't have to ascribe altruistic motives to Mr Pratchett's action
>when he already has given you a reason. And besides, it wasn't "a very
>nice thing to do for the youger, less successful nominees", as the
>winner, the Jonathan Strange book, had a landslide nomination, and it
>would take a minor miracle for any of the other books to win.
>And, more to the point, none of the other nominees were "younger, less
>successful". Iain M. Banks, who got the fifth spot when Mr Pratchett
>declined (and eventually "won" 3rd place), can't possibly be considered
>a less successful newbie.

Well next year should be a lock for Potter again. I'm still convinced
the young children of fans influenced that vote fairly heavily.
Daddy, how can you not vote for Harry....
--
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)

Peter Ellis

Aug 10, 2005, 5:57:40 PM8/10/05
rac...@steelpan.co.uk wrote:
>I was really trying not to be specific about my instrument as it
>always raises so many more questions. Try my website:
>http://wwwsteelpan.co.uk

Ah, it's *you*! I remember you from the last Con.

Bloody marvellous. Everybody, go and buy CDs. :-)

Peter

Terry Pratchett

Aug 10, 2005, 7:08:28 PM8/10/05
In message <ddcsom$f1n$1...@cauldron.broomstick.com>, Arthur Hagen
<a...@broomstick.com> writes

>You don't have to ascribe altruistic motives to Mr Pratchett's action
>when he already has given you a reason.

Which was, indeed a genuine one. And I had better add that I just
declined to be nominated -- I didn't bother to ask who the other
nominees were. That would be tacky, and I imagine I wouldn't have been
told at that point in any case.

> And besides, it wasn't "a very
>nice thing to do for the youger, less successful nominees", as the
>winner, the Jonathan Strange book, had a landslide nomination, and it
>would take a minor miracle for any of the other books to win.

Dunno. Hugo voting is not 'first past the post'. I expect clear
leaders stay that way -- I'm sure exhaustive number crunching has been
done -- but the 'shake it all about' method means that, at least in a
tighter field, the order at the start may not be the order at the finish
--
Terry Pratchett

Rocky Frisco

Aug 10, 2005, 9:27:09 PM8/10/05
Terry Pratchett wrote:

I think you might possibly owe me something, maybe a free book or
something, since I paid real dollars to be a supporting member so I
could vote for you. ;)

-Rock http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Rocky Frisco's LIBERTY website: http://www.liberty-in-our-time.com/
The World's Best Daily News Service: http://www.rationalreview.com/

Marie-Gwen

Aug 11, 2005, 3:29:22 AM8/11/05

phil...@see.signature.uk a écrit :

> 'I was Death! Death on a horse!' - Methos, Highlander

Hey, glad to meet a fanlander here too!

;)

Marie-Gwen (TerryPratchettfanlander)

Terry Pratchett

Aug 11, 2005, 7:44:23 AM8/11/05
In message <WOxKe.31$tB5.23@okepread06>, Rocky Frisco
<ro...@rocky-frisco.com> writes

>I think you might possibly owe me something, maybe a free book or
>something, since I paid real dollars to be a supporting member so I
>could vote for you. ;)

Why, thank you, Rocky. But it is unwise for fan or writer to gamble
*anything* on what the other might do, especially when it involves a
ballot.
--
Terry Pratchett

Lister

Aug 11, 2005, 8:23:16 AM8/11/05
On 11 Aug 2005 00:29:22 -0700, "Marie-Gwen" <marie...@free.fr>
wrote:

>phil...@see.signature.uk a écrit :
>
>> 'I was Death! Death on a horse!' - Methos, Highlander
>
>Hey, glad to meet a fanlander here too!

Didn't you know?

There can be only one

[20p]

Marie-Gwen

Aug 11, 2005, 8:49:22 AM8/11/05

Lister a écrit :

> On 11 Aug 2005 00:29:22 -0700, "Marie-Gwen" <marie...@free.fr>
> wrote:
>

> >phil...@see.signature.uk a écrit :
> >
> >> 'I was Death! Death on a horse!' - Methos, Highlander
> >
> >Hey, glad to meet a fanlander here too!
>

> Didn't you know?
>

> There can be only one
>
> [20p]

:-))))))))))

MG

sparks

Aug 11, 2005, 2:38:57 PM8/11/05

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It has been a lot of hard work sweat and a
few tears over the last 7 years of bidding and then running Interaction,
but as I handed back the keys to the van after dropping of the last few
things into storage it was knowing that people I respected enjoyed the
con that made it all worth while.

Sparks

C0 Division Head Concourse
Logistics Manager
Interaction the 63rd World Science Fiction Convention

Rocky Frisco

Aug 11, 2005, 6:05:08 PM8/11/05
Terry Pratchett wrote:

Same thing goes for political candidates, I guess. :)

Anyway, I'm much more invested in your health and well being than some
shiny gadget to take up even more shelf-space.

Yesterday, at the weekly meeting of the One Village Festival planning
committee, somebody was quoting the "teach a man to fish" aphorism, so I
gave them your "build a man a fire" version, with attribution.

I was pleasantly surprised at the "You know Terry Pratchett????"
Okiehoma, the natural desmenses of the Illiterati.

Arthur Hagen

Aug 11, 2005, 8:56:32 PM8/11/05
Rocky Frisco <ro...@rocky-frisco.com> wrote:

> I was pleasantly surprised at the "You know Terry Pratchett????"
> Okiehoma, the natural desmenses of the Illiterati.

Must have been in Tulsa. I've heard they have a Reader there.

Regards,
--
*Art

Rocky Frisco

Aug 12, 2005, 5:18:26 PM8/12/05
Arthur Hagen wrote:

Um, yup. That would be me, actually.

Edward Cherlin

Aug 14, 2005, 3:54:45 AM8/14/05
Rocky Frisco wrote:

> Yesterday, at the weekly meeting of the One Village Festival planning
> committee,

Oh, goody, another one. I'm working with the oneVillage Foundation in
Silicon Valley on anti-poverty projects in Africa and Asia.

> somebody was quoting the "teach a man to fish" aphorism, so I
> gave them your "build a man a fire" version, with attribution.

Yup. I used that one too in a presentation on Free Software for the poor of
the world, but I reworked it a bit.

If you light a fire for your children,
you keep them warm for a night.

If you set your children on fire,
you keep them warm for the rest of their lives.

Will it be the fires of greed, hate, and delusion, or the fires of hacking,
community, and learning?

Well received, and pTerry is well recognized here in Silicon Valley. I find
the fantasy and science fiction crowd the most receptive audience for the
idea of ending poverty at a profit.

> I was pleasantly surprised at the "You know Terry Pratchett????"

> Okiehoma, the natural desmenses of the Ill-iterati.

There is no Mensa chapter in the demesne of those who doom themselves to
repeated suffering?

Message has been deleted

Alec Cawley

Aug 14, 2005, 4:13:51 PM8/14/05
In article <43029bc3....@news.demon.co.uk>,
jo...@gelsalba.demon.co.uk says...

> Hmm... where is there a good Japanese restaurant in, or near, Glasgow?

Google Maps seems to know about 6 in central Glasgow, plus a Sushi Bar
in Paisley.

--
@lec ©awley
http://www.livejournal.com/~randombler

Rocky Frisco

Aug 14, 2005, 4:18:23 PM8/14/05
Edward Cherlin wrote:

> Rocky Frisco wrote:
>

>>Yesterday, at the weekly meeting of the One Village Festival planning
>>committee,
>

> Oh, goody, another one. I'm working with the oneVillage Foundation in
> Silicon Valley on anti-poverty projects in Africa and Asia.

Our festival will be a benefit to establish micro-banks in The Congo. It
will take place here in Tulsa on September 24th.

>>somebody was quoting the "teach a man to fish" aphorism, so I
>>gave them your "build a man a fire" version, with attribution.
>

> Yup. I used that one too in a presentation on Free Software for the poor of
> the world, but I reworked it a bit.
>
> If you light a fire for your children,
> you keep them warm for a night.
>
> If you set your children on fire,
> you keep them warm for the rest of their lives.
>
> Will it be the fires of greed, hate, and delusion, or the fires of hacking,
> community, and learning?
>
> Well received, and pTerry is well recognized here in Silicon Valley. I find
> the fantasy and science fiction crowd the most receptive audience for the
> idea of ending poverty at a profit.

I was once at a Youth For Christ meeting where the speaker said, "I'm on
fire for Jesus!" One of the kids said, "No, it looks like you have gone
out; may I relight you?" (While brandishing a book of matches).

>>I was pleasantly surprised at the "You know Terry Pratchett????"
>>Okiehoma, the natural desmenses of the Ill-iterati.

> There is no Mensa chapter in the demesne of those who doom themselves to
> repeated suffering?

Hey!! No retroactive text-editing my quotes! ;)

Anyway, MENSA for Oklahomans HAS to be some sort of oxymaroon.

Message has been deleted

Rocky Frisco

Aug 14, 2005, 6:15:58 PM8/14/05
Alec Cawley wrote:

> In article <43029bc3....@news.demon.co.uk>,
> jo...@gelsalba.demon.co.uk says...
>

>>Hmm... where is there a good Japanese restaurant in, or near, Glasgow?
>

> Google Maps seems to know about 6 in central Glasgow, plus a Sushi Bar
> in Paisley.

In Oklahoma, we call those "bait shops."

Rocky Frisco

Aug 14, 2005, 6:25:32 PM8/14/05
John Ewing wrote:

> I don't think Google Maps has any comments as to whether a restaurant
> is good or bad, has it?

You could use Google Earth to see if there are piles of bodies outside.

Sofia

Aug 15, 2005, 9:49:52 AM8/15/05

Hello Cyba, I just wrote to tell you how I tried to get through to your
website several times without any success.

Does it really exist, or is it something to do with my computer? If it is
just my computer going wrong somewhere, couldn't you just cure my
curiosity and tell me what your instrument is?

By the way, I'd also like to say how my favourite suggestion of Peter's
was the one about playing the bagpipes with the hoover. I doubt anybody
with a pet would even consider it though. It used to make my dog Harry
scarper out to another room, frightened to death. He seemed to think it
was a gigantic monster of some kind, trying to suck him up.

I wonder, are either you or perhaps even Peter real musicians in a band of
some kind, or are you just both playing silly buggers and taking the piss
out of us all?

Sofie

Helen Taylor

Aug 15, 2005, 10:27:53 AM8/15/05

Sofia wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:18:58 -0700, cyba wrote:
>

> > I was really trying not to be specific about my instrument as it
> > always raises so many more questions. Try my website:
> > http://www.steelpan.co.uk

> > Incidentally, I bought a little friend for Sushi - my Japanese Calico
> > Ryukin (fancy goldfish) which I have named Bento. I think I have room
> > in the aquarium for one more - "Sashimi" perhaps?
> >
> > Oh and Peter, I enjoyed your suggestions - especially the viola one...
>

> Hello Cyba, I just wrote to tell you how I tried to get through to your
> website several times without any success.
>
> Does it really exist, or is it something to do with my computer? If it is
> just my computer going wrong somewhere, couldn't you just cure my
> curiosity and tell me what your instrument is?

It does exist, she just forgot to put a dot after the www. I've
corrected it now, it should work.

HTH
Helen

Terry Pratchett

Aug 14, 2005, 1:34:01 PM8/14/05
In message <42FB9B41...@lspace.org>, sparks <spa...@lspace.org>
writes

>I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It has been a lot of hard work sweat and a
>few tears over the last 7 years of bidding and then running
>Interaction, but as I handed back the keys to the van after dropping of
>the last few things into storage it was knowing that people I respected
>enjoyed the con that made it all worth while.

The only (very minor) snag was the two Green Rooms. I got the hang of
it after a day or two, but one room still seems a better idea.
Apart from that, everything was fine, thank you-- a truly memorable con,
helped along by the fact that just about everyone I know in fandom was
there:-)

--
Terry Pratchett

The Stainless Steel Cat

Aug 15, 2005, 2:04:36 PM8/15/05
In article <42ffabc4....@news.demon.co.uk>,
John Ewing <jo...@gelsalba.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 21:13:51 +0100, Alec Cawley <al...@spamspam.co.uk>
>wrote:

>>In article <43029bc3....@news.demon.co.uk>,
>>jo...@gelsalba.demon.co.uk says...
>>
>>> Hmm... where is there a good Japanese restaurant in, or near, Glasgow?
>>
>>Google Maps seems to know about 6 in central Glasgow, plus a Sushi Bar
>>in Paisley.
>

>I don't think Google Maps has any comments as to whether a restaurant
>is good or bad, has it?
>

>I'm not going to look for anything in Glasgow using Google Maps, as
>there are so many errors in street names - about 30 within a short
>distance of where I stay. I hate to think what the total number of
>errors in Glasgow is.

Do you mean there isn't really a hidden railway line between Glasgow
Central and Glasgow Queen Street stations? I'm deeply disappointed.

I can say that there is a Sushi bar just down from where the Herald offices
used to be, which workmates say is good. Despite being just down from the
University, I've so far managed to avoid going there for lunch despite the
best efforts of the University management to shut staff and students out of
the usual eating places in the summer so that they can feed the Saga
hoardes who appear to take up seasonal residence in the, umm, residences.

(Sorry, there's really not enough sentences in that paragraph, I'm just
unnerved by the thought of fish *not* served in half-inch-thick batter with
chips. It's not natural I tell you!)

Cat.
--
Jazz-Loving Soul Mate and Tolerable Frog to CCA
La Rustimuna ^Stalkato

Message has been deleted

Rocky Frisco

Aug 15, 2005, 6:55:49 PM8/15/05

There was a dot left out. Try http://www.steelpan.co.uk/

Edward Cherlin

Aug 15, 2005, 10:37:38 PM8/15/05
The Stainless Steel Cat wrote:

> I can say that there is a Sushi bar just down from where the Herald
> offices used to be, which workmates say is good. Despite being just down
> from the University, I've so far managed to avoid going there for lunch
> despite the best efforts of the University management to shut staff and
> students out of the usual eating places in the summer so that they can
> feed the Saga hoardes who appear to take up seasonal residence in the,
> umm, residences.
>
> (Sorry, there's really not enough sentences in that paragraph, I'm just
> unnerved by the thought of fish *not* served in half-inch-thick batter
> with chips. It's not natural I tell you!)
>
> Cat.

Wow. Deep-fried sushi. I hadn't thought of that. I *have* had deep-fried
haggis. Onna stick.

Flesh-eating Dragon

Aug 20, 2005, 10:00:14 AM8/20/05
Peter Ellis wrote:

> You can't just leave it like that!
>
> Bagpipes played with a hoover? Viola played with a chainsaw? Trumpet played
> from the... other end?

My mother does volunteer music teaching to primary school children
and I've seen some fairly weird-looking instruments in conjunction
with that, but I have to say, curiously enough, none of them have
involved chainsaws. :-)

Adrian.

Sofia

Aug 20, 2005, 12:27:06 PM8/20/05
On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 07:27:53 -0700, Helen Taylor wrote:

>> Hello Cyba, I just wrote to tell you how I tried to get through to your
>> website several times without any success.
>>
>> Does it really exist, or is it something to do with my computer? If it is
>> just my computer going wrong somewhere, couldn't you just cure my
>> curiosity and tell me what your instrument is?
>>
> It does exist, she just forgot to put a dot after the www. I've
> corrected it now, it should work.

Hi Helen, you were right, after you put the final dot at the end of the
www, I managed to get into Cyba's website without any problem at all.

I also found out that she was L-space's famous fanartist, Rachel Hayward,
which I didn't know before either.

I'd like to say to Cyba that I thought she looked fab in those photo's
playing the steel drums, and absolutely loved the one with the cute little
Rasta-man's dog.

Being a doggy person myself, I'd also like to say how much I love your
picture on the L-space fanart "Whats New" section with Vetinari called
"Dog Botherer", and hoping that you're also a doggy person too, I hope you
also like my new addition to the "Whats New" page called "God's Best
Friend", which elfin kindly dedicated to my late little dog, Harry for me.

All the best

Sofie