[I] The Festival of Lights

Paul .Jamison

Dec 22, 2019, 6:54:20 PM12/22/19
On a table is a Menorah. Rabbi Sammy, a Dark-Eyed White ferret, wearing his black yarmulke with the red trim and his prayer shawl, is standing behind the table and carefully arranging nine small candles by the candelabrum. When he is satisfied with the placement, Sammy looks over his shoulder and nods his head.

A younger Albino wearing a simple blue yarmulke steps solemnly forward. This is Levi. This is Sammy's son. It was not long ago that he was a tiny newborn, his eyes tightly shut. He has grown so much since then, and his father and mother are proud of him.

Rabbi Sammy smiles and steps back. The young ferret takes his place at the table.

Levi picks up one candle and places it in the central holder of the Menorah; this candle is the Shamash. He places a single candle in the far right holder. Levi then recites the shehechiyanu blessing (translated from the Hebrew).

"Blessed are You, the Lord our God, King of the Universe, Who has kept us alive, sustained us, and brought us to this season."

Levi lights the Shamash and recites the following blessings.

"Blessed are You, the Lord our God, King of the Universe, Who sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us to kindle the Hanukkah light.

"Blessed are You, the Lord our God, King of the Universe, Who made miracles for our forefathers, in those days at this season."

Levi removes the Shamash from the central holder and uses it to light the first candle; the flame reflects in the young ferret's deep red eyes. He recites the following prayer.

"We kindle these lights
For the miracles and the wonders
For the redemption and the battles
Which You performed for our forefathers
In those days of this season
Through Your holy priests.

During all eight days of Hanukkah
These lights are sacred
And we are not permitted to make ordinary use of them
But only to look at them
In order to express thanks and praise to Your great Name
For Your miracles, Your wonders, and Your salvations."

###########################

Hanukkah commemorates the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem after the Maccabean Revolt against the Seleucid Empire. The Menorah with its eight candles marks the Miracle of the Container of Oil, when one day's worth of oil for the eternal flame in the Temple of Jerusalem was able to last for eight days. I wish you the best for the Holy Days. *L'Chayim*.

Paul - Shelo yichbe neiro l'olam v'ed. (The light will burn forever.)

Nigel Stapley

Dec 23, 2019, 10:40:12 AM12/23/19
Shalom v Mazel Tov.

--
Regards

Nigel Stapley

www.thejudge.me.uk

<reply-to will bounce>

Basil D

Dec 23, 2019, 3:27:02 PM12/23/19
As an atheist raised by a Catholic and a Presbyterian, I've always loved the Hanukkah
story, because it taught me an important truth.

There's always enough light.

Good fortune to all, at the turning of the year.

~~Basil

Paul .Jamison

Dec 30, 2019, 7:41:07 PM12/30/19
(Levi, a young Albino ferret wearing a simple blue yarmulke, steps up to the Menorah and places a candle - the Shamash – in the central holder. He begins placing the remaining eight candles in the other holders, from right to left. Levi lights the Shamash and says the following blessings:)

"Blessed are You, the Lord our God, King of the Universe, Who sanctified us with His commandments, and commanded us to kindle the Hanukkah light.

"Blessed are You, the Lord our God, King of the Universe, Who made miracles for our forefathers, in those days of this season."

(Levi removes the lit Shamash from the central holder and uses it to light the eight candles, from left to right, and says the following prayer.)

"We kindle these lights
For the miracles and the wonders
For the redemption and the battles
Which You performed for our forefathers
In those days of this season
Through Your holy priests.
During all eight days of Hanukkah
These lights are sacred
And we are not permitted to make ordinary use of them
But only to look at them
In order to express thanks and praise to Your great Name
For Your miracles, Your wonders, and Your salvations."

=====

As he gets older, Levi is developing a keen interest in Judaic traditions and knowledge. He's been studying the Talmud in *shul*, and questions a lot of what he reads. Indeed, more than once he's gotten into an intense discussion with his father about some of the finer points. That's what Talmudic scholarship is all about, and Sammy is very proud of him.

Indeed, Sammy and his wife Clarissa are both proud of their son. They think he did a fine job with the rituals involved with the Festival of Lights. And Levi enjoyed it very much. After the candles were lit, he and his family sat down together to nosh on some sufganiyots - essentially Hanukkah donuts. Don't worry; they take enzyme supplements developed by the Skippys to help digest cereal and vegetable products; that helps Jewish ferrets keep kosher.

So Hanukkah is over until next year. We’re in the middle of Kwanzaa. Twelfth Night is on the Sixth, and that will likely be as good a day as any to declare the holiday season to be over. I hope you have a good, joyous season, whatever faith you follow.

Shelo yichbe neiro l'olam v'ed. And, as always, L'Chayim - To Life.

Paul