Good Omens on Amazon at midnight Eastern (US)

Lewis

May 30, 2019, 10:51:09 PM5/30/19
The Good Omens mini series will appear on Amazon Prime video at midnight
Eastern Time (a little more than an hour away).

<https://66.media.tumblr.com/fe4499c01915b77c9303c515d218a31f/tumblr_ps8d8mIi4Z1vfvr2r_640.jpg>

or

<https://is.gd/SQOgay>

--
I take my advice from the advertising world, "Treat me nice," says the
party girl. Coke adds life where there isn't any

Robert Carnegie

May 31, 2019, 5:00:52 AM5/31/19
On Friday, 31 May 2019 03:51:09 UTC+1, Lewis wrote:
> The Good Omens mini series will appear on Amazon Prime video at midnight
> Eastern Time (a little more than an hour away).
>
> <https://66.media.tumblr.com/fe4499c01915b77c9303c515d218a31f/tumblr_ps8d8mIi4Z1vfvr2r_640.jpg>
>
> or
>
> <https://is.gd/SQOgay>

By the way: radio interview with David Tennant and
Chris Lowe^WMichael Sheen on BBC's "Front Row" magazine,
<https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0005f77>

Lewis

May 31, 2019, 7:16:16 AM5/31/19
I watched two episodes last night. I approve.

Tennant and Sheen as perfectly cast, and the various supporting cast is
also excellent.

It is not exactly the book, but that's fine; the changes are mostly
slight, unimportant, and streamline the story to fit into the allotted
time. I'm sure some people will find reasons to complain.

--
Secondly, the Earth's a Libra

Brian Howlett

May 31, 2019, 3:39:13 PM5/31/19
On 31 May, Lewis <g.k...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies> wrote:

> I watched two episodes last night. I approve.

> Tennant and Sheen as perfectly cast, and the various supporting cast is
> also excellent.

> It is not exactly the book, but that's fine; the changes are mostly
> slight, unimportant, and streamline the story to fit into the allotted
> time. I'm sure some people will find reasons to complain.

I've watched the first five episodes so far, and entirely approve. All the
cast are excellent.

I'd never have thought of Jack Whitehall as Newt, but he's ideal, as is
Josie Lawrence as Agnes.

The kids playing The Them are all great as well.
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
I took a course in speed waiting. Now I can wait an hour in just

Armcie

Jun 11, 2019, 5:16:17 AM6/11/19
I thought this was wonderful, and about as perfect an adaption as could be fitted into a 6 episode series. There were a couple of scenes I missed, but which were understandable removals. I hope the fabled Watch series gets a bit more momentum from this and turns out just as good!

Lewis

Jun 11, 2019, 5:14:16 PM6/11/19
I agree entirely. The series was wonderful, the casting was perfect top
to bottom, and the adjustments to the story were just enough to keep me
on my toes. I missed a few things, but I understand why they were cut for
the show.

I'm ready to watch it again.

(Originally Michael Sheen was going to play Crowley, but both he and
Neil decided early on that wasn't going to work, but then spent several
months not wanting to bring it up to the other one. Glad they got that
sorted because he was the perfect fussy Aziraphale and could there be a
better Crowley than David Tennant?)

--
OS X 10.5 is going to have spots?

Kevin Wells

Jun 12, 2019, 3:34:34 PM6/12/19
I missed the other 4 biker's of the Apocalypse and the other gang.

--
Kev Wells
http://kevsoft.co.uk/

steveski

Jun 12, 2019, 5:24:47 PM6/12/19
On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 19:09:20 +0100, Kevin Wells wrote:

[]

> I missed the other 4 biker's of the Apocalypse and the other gang.

Biker's . . . what?

--
Steveski

Brian Howlett

Jun 12, 2019, 6:05:54 PM6/12/19
Dozen?
--
Brian Howlett - Email to From: address deleted unseen
My net income doesn't cover my gross habits...

tort...@gmail.com

Nov 16, 2019, 10:45:41 AM11/16/19
On Friday, 31 May 2019 03:51:09 UTC+1, Lewis wrote:
> The Good Omens mini series will appear on Amazon Prime video at midnight
> Eastern Time (a little more than an hour away).

Anyone know if the BBC will be showing this? I'd assumed the 6-month embargo was so they could run it over the Christmas break, but they may now be more interested in box-set sales :(

Thanks

Henry

Lewis

Nov 16, 2019, 3:37:52 PM11/16/19
Six months would be December 3rd. Sometime after that?

(It should show up on BBC Two)

--
"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time."

tort...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2019, 10:55:30 AM11/17/19
On Saturday, 16 November 2019 20:37:52 UTC, Lewis wrote:
> In message <f018d3fa-2b24-4084...@googlegroups.com> Henry wrote:
> > On Friday, 31 May 2019 03:51:09 UTC+1, Lewis wrote:
> >> The Good Omens mini series will appear on Amazon Prime video at midnight
> >> Eastern Time (a little more than an hour away).
>
> > Anyone know if the BBC will be showing this? I'd assumed the 6-month
> > embargo was so they could run it over the Christmas break, but they
> > may now be more interested in box-set sales :(
>
> Six months would be December 3rd. Sometime after that?

Unfortunately the (TV) schedules at https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules go backwards decades to the 1960's, but not forwards one month :(

Thanks

Henry

tort...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2019, 12:22:06 PM12/5/19
On Sunday, 17 November 2019 15:55:30 UTC, Henry wrote:
> > > Anyone know if the BBC will be showing this? I'd assumed the 6-month
> > > embargo was so they could run it over the Christmas break, but they
> > > may now be more interested in box-set sales :(
> >
> > Six months would be December 3rd. Sometime after that?

Still no luck my finding out if Good Omens will be broadcast at some point, but I did stumble on
"Playing in the Dark: Neil Gaiman and the BBC Symphony Orchestra" (Radio 3, 23 Dec.) https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ck1c
which some here might be interested in.

Hth

Henry

tort...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2019, 7:33:25 AM12/31/19

BBC 2, starting from 15th January (9 p.m.)

HtH

Henry

tort...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2020, 10:51:11 AM7/2/20
On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 12:33:25 UTC, tort...@gmail.com wrote:
> BBC 2, starting from 15th January (9 p.m.)

Belated update: I recorded it at the time, then watched over 3 days around Easter.

I was disappointed overall; the individual gags were quite good but somehow it didn't gel into a consistent whole. It felt a bit like they hadn't decided who the target audience was to be, or this may just because it's not a good year for apocalypse-based entertainment. :(

There again, the Tivo scraped up the Quatermass mini-series from 1979 which I watched last week; still not fully recovered!

HtH

Henry

Lewis

Jul 2, 2020, 4:34:19 PM7/2/20
In message <97d1a853-784e-4a47...@googlegroups.com> tort...@gmail.com <tort...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 12:33:25 UTC, tort...@gmail.com wrote:
>> BBC 2, starting from 15th January (9 p.m.)

> Belated update: I recorded it at the time, then watched over 3 days around Easter.

> I was disappointed overall; the individual gags were quite good but somehow it didn't gel into a consistent whole. It felt a bit like they hadn't decided who the target audience was to be, or this may just because it's not a good year for apocalypse-based entertainment. :(

Perhaps. I saw it when it aired over here and very much liked it. I
thought the casting of our heroes was excellent, and the screenplay
adaptation I thought was also very good.

I had no complaints, and at the time only minor quibbles which I have
forgotten. There were things I missed, to be sure, but then I would have
been quite happy with a 15 hour version and that was never going to
happen.

--
If you [Carrot] were dice, you'd always roll sixes. And the dice
don't roll themselves. If it wasn't against everything he wanted

tort...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2020, 12:10:04 PM7/7/20
On Thursday, 2 July 2020 21:34:19 UTC+1, Lewis wrote:
> In message <97d1a853-784e-4a47...@googlegroups.com> tort...@gmail.com <tort...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was disappointed overall; the individual gags were quite good but
> > somehow it didn't gel into a consistent whole.
> Perhaps. I saw it when it aired over here and very much liked it. I
> thought the casting of our heroes was excellent, and the screenplay
> adaptation I thought was also very good.

The individual scenes were very good, but I found that the transitions between the different threads didn't always feel like it was still the same programme. My own fault for my sloth-like feedback; if I'd written this 3 months ago I'd be able to give examples.
I'd hoped to get a chance to re-read the book, but the required tuits (round) never accumulated. Maybe this was a deliberate thing to reflect different tones in the book by the two authors, which I've forgotten over the, um, decades.
(or maybe I just left it too late and Covid has soured me on Armageddon-based fantasy for a while.)

> I had no complaints, and at the time only minor quibbles which I have
> forgotten. There were things I missed, to be sure, but then I would have
> been quite happy with a 15 hour version and that was never going to
> happen.

Yes, it's a pity as this may be one of those cases where the mini-series format is the worse of both worlds: things don't get pruned as thoroughly as for a 90-minute movie, but there's not time for explanatory context as in a 13-episode serial. Examples would be the BBC's Gormenghast from a few years back, and last year's Catch-22 (though the latter maybe also had a different editorial slant to the original author).

Hth

Henry

Lewis

Jul 7, 2020, 8:19:10 PM7/7/20
In message <1a3cba76-f142-4fd6...@googlegroups.com> tort...@gmail.com <tort...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 July 2020 21:34:19 UTC+1, Lewis wrote:
>> In message <97d1a853-784e-4a47...@googlegroups.com> tort...@gmail.com <tort...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I was disappointed overall; the individual gags were quite good but
>> > somehow it didn't gel into a consistent whole.
>> Perhaps. I saw it when it aired over here and very much liked it. I
>> thought the casting of our heroes was excellent, and the screenplay
>> adaptation I thought was also very good.

> The individual scenes were very good, but I found that the transitions between the different threads didn't always feel like it was still the same programme. My own fault for my sloth-like feedback; if I'd written this 3 months ago I'd be able to give examples.

There was a very different feel and even look to the show when we are
focusing on the humans than when we are focusing on the notHumans. This
was intentional.

And there is an entirely different feeling to Tadfield, of course.

> I'd hoped to get a chance to re-read the book, but the required tuits (round) never accumulated. Maybe this was a deliberate thing to reflect different tones in the book by the two authors, which I've forgotten over the, um, decades.

Decades since you last read the book? That's a shame. I've read it many
times and listened to the audiobook as well. It's one of my most read
books.

> (or maybe I just left it too late and Covid has soured me on Armageddon-based fantasy for a while.)

It's light and fun armaggeddon!

--
I presume you're mortal, and may err.