*I* Archived posts

1 view

Mike Knell

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96
In article <4e27gc$r...@yama.mcc.ac.uk>, C Speed <per...@mcc.ac.uk> wrote:
>r...@tanstafl.demon.co.uk (Robert Collier) writes:
>>I'll just take this oportunity to remind you that Leo has archives
>>going back more or less to the afp new-group message..
>I'd never really thought about the full implications of this. It
>means that Leo has a copy of that very first post I sent where I asked
>Terry a rather impertinent question and subsequently had my name and
>intentions called into question by some of the residents. Oh dear.

Yes, Leo pulled out my first ever couple of posts a while back.

Incredibly, my first post to AFP was actually *R*.

From: mkn...@cix.compulink.co.uk (Mike Knell)
Subject: Hedgehogs
Date: 11 May 92 18:20:15 GMT

I'm sure I can remember hearing the Hedgehog song when I was younger
at a summer camp... it has verses about various reasons various
animals cannot be b**gered, and I'm positive there was one about the
hedgehog. So the song may be written already? Help. I'm confused.

(*very* embarrassing .sig deleted)

This must have been before the Hedgehog Song got written.. AFP had only
been around for a few months. Any afpistorians out there may well be in
for a treat at the end of this month (AFP is 4 on the 30th). Not saying
any more at this time, though.. *evil grin*

>Any plans to make them available on the web for browsing?
Doubt it, I guess they're far too valuable as blackmail material.

Mike

--
- Mike Knell - m...@eniac.demon.co.uk - "No, really, it's fine leaving me..."
And when you get BLUE, and you've lost all your dreams..

Colm Buckley

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
> == m...@eniac.demon.co.uk (Mike Knell)

> Any afpistorians out there may well be in for a treat at the end of
> this month (AFP is 4 on the 30th). Not saying any more at this time,
> though.. *evil grin*

Neither am I *even eviller[1] grin*

Colm

--
Colm Buckley | EMail: Colm.B...@tcd.ie Phone: (+353 1) 6082336
Computer Science Dept | WWW: http://isg.cs.tcd.ie/cbuckley/

[1] well, it should be

C Speed

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
eaob...@ebi.ac.uk (Emmet O'Brien) writes:

> Hmmm.. you predate me, don't you ? [1] Your cognomen was not a subject
> of much comment when I first joined, and I remember being mildly intrigued
> but shy.

Quite possibly. I would guess my first postings to be around Easter
1993, I lurked awhile before then. I remember the newgroup but I'd
not read any of the books at that point. Actually, I don't think I
had before I started posting either. For me a.f.p came first, then
the books in order to find out what the hell everyone was on about *&)

> Yes, I was shy once.

Yeah yeah. *&)

>>Any plans to make them available on the web for browsing?
>

> Hmmm, how would one sort them ? By author, title, date.. OOI, I would be
> mildly curious as to how big the entire archive is by this stage, and how
> many posts are in it.

I'm in the process of trying to archive a few mailing lists and have
turned up this neat thing called lwgate which is a perl thingy which
(amongst other things) takes mailing list digests and presents them in
a web readable format which can be sorted on demand by any of the
three criteria you mention. It could possibly be adapted.

>[1] predates.. velociraptor.. oh, dear.

Hmmm.
* Claire Speed * Network & Operations Unit, Manchester Computing *
* Dial-up, ISDN, TICTAC * C.S...@mcc.ac.uk http://www.mcc.ac.uk/Claire *

Gideon Hallett

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96

> > I can remember being at a Dorset beer festival, and hearing a song
> > entitled "Bestiality's great mate, bestiality's great"
> >
> > The only lines I remember are
> >
> > Bestiality's great mate, bestiality's great
> > Why don't you **** a duck? mate, Why don't you **** a duck? [1]
> >
> > Anybody for adding to it?
> >
> > [1] You can Guess the ****.
> >
> Hmmm, The full chorus (to the tune of Tie me kangaroo down Sport)
>
> Bestiality's great, mate. Bestiality's great.
> (Shag a wallaby)
> Bestiality's great, mate. Bestiality's Great.
>
> Animals I remember, Duck, horse and I can't remember the rest.
> Ben? Was there a line with hamsters and duct-tape?

I always knew it as "Bestiality's best, boys", but
everything else was the same. It was the summer of
1987 wasn't it.

I can remember ;

Shoot your load up a toad, boys, shoot your load up a toad!

and

Stick your twig in a pig, boys! etc...

and

Have a cat on the mat, boys!

and

Sow your oats in a goat, boys.

Those are the nicer ones......
Gideon.
If this has appeared in triplicate, much apologies.
Our news server has an out rate of 0 bytes/sec atm :P
zca...@ucl.ac.uk OR |"Smile", they said.
g...@mssl.ucl.ac.uk OR |"Life could be worse", they said.
ph...@siva.bris.ac.uk | So I did. And it was.

The Bellinghman

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
Gideon Hallett <zca...@ucl.ac.uk> burbled:

[snip 4 posts]

Gideon, can you sort out your news poster, please?

Alan
--
Alan Bellingham Work +44(0)1763-262629 Fax +44(0)1763-260506
'I don't know what to make of alt.fan.pratchett. Risotto would be nice.'

Robert Collier

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
In article <DLMyq...@ebi.ac.uk>, Emmet O'Brien <eaob...@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
>In article <4e27gc$r...@yama.mcc.ac.uk> per...@mcc.ac.uk (C Speed) writes:

[re: afp archives]

>>Any plans to make them available on the web for browsing?
>
> Hmmm, how would one sort them ? By author, title, date.. OOI, I would be
> mildly curious as to how big the entire archive is by this stage, and how
> many posts are in it.

I asked Leo and as of midday it's about 135Mb ! I don't know how many
articles that is - but it's split into chunks of between 4 and 7 Mb each.

> [ Hmmm.. download _all_ of afp.. ? Twould finally make up for having news
> and mail hang for a day every time there's an EMBL database update.. ]

Well on my humble modem (~4000cps on news) that's about 10hours worth
of data...

I will hopefully be expanding the L-Space Web to a dedicated machine
sometime around easter - I may look into the feasability of makeing
the archive available for regexp searching then.

Anyone with experience of indexing 135Meg of news articles please
contact me :-)

Rob.

Robert R. Collier | The Terry Pratchett Homepage | \\\\\ send subject
r...@lspace.org | http://www.lspace.org/ | \\\\\\\__o | "get pgp"
InterNIC RRC7 | <holyhorns> |__\\\\\\\'/__| for keys

Mike Knell

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
In article <3106CA...@connexus.apana.org.au>,
Orin Davyd-Leslie Thomas <or...@connexus.apana.org.au> wrote:
>Yes ... some of us have posted some really stupid things. Gosh ... I
>remember ... um ... Leo, you haven't got those damn things have you?
>Please say no!

S'OK, we all have -- remember the posting stats I posted, which spawned
the "Gratuitous Posting" thread-from-hell?

Aaaaarrrggghhh...

Dharos of Al-Dukran

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
bl
A long time ago, on a Usenet far far away, Claire Speed scribed:
>Chris Lloyd <ch...@unixsoft.demon.co.uk> writes: ^
>
>>Oh god no! The embarrassment of it all! All I can say to you Claire, is do
>>you remember that cascade we once got into one rainy afternoon in Warwick,
>>the one we got those polite notes asking us to stop?
>
>I didn't until you reminded me. I think I've still got some of the
>notes somewhere. Some of them were really really polite too. *&)

I shouldn't worry - it put both Warwick and yourselves firmly on the afp map -
though from what's written above, if I ever see cascades from 2 people 5 feet
apart on afp again, I'll check the weather in the relevant location...

ttfn,
Mchl Grnt
(founder, alt.fan.alt-fan-pratchett)

---------IN--MEMORIAM--PHOENICIS.CANTABRIGENSIS.ACADEMIAE.UK------*Whelk!*------
"Don't look behind you; the lemmings are catching up."=8-0| Risus Sardonicus :-]
A closed mouth gathers no feet. | (Michael S. Grant)
Afp expands to fill the space available. | gra...@aston.ac.uk
----------< http://www.aston.ac.uk/~grantms// >---------------------------------

Robert Collier

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
In article <4e5189$6...@yama.mcc.ac.uk>, C Speed <per...@mcc.ac.uk> wrote:

>Chris Lloyd <ch...@unixsoft.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>>Oh god no! The embarrassment of it all! All I can say to you Claire, is do
>>you remember that cascade we once got into one rainy afternoon in Warwick,
>>the one we got those polite notes asking us to stop?
>
>I didn't until you reminded me. I think I've still got some of the
>notes somewhere. Some of them were really really polite too. *&)

heheh...

I remember it well, I had only just started reading afp and suddenly
there was this whole cascade of warwick posts... It made me feel proud
(Well I was newbiee and inocent then...).

Rob <ma...@csv.warwick.ac.uk>

Anders Henriksson

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
Bryan <br...@cornwick.win-uk.net> wrote:
>Which brings me to the *M* bit:

>Should we have an *O* marking so that those easily shocked may
>avoid obscenities?

If we did that people could filter afp, and then we'll never get
off AOL. ;-)

/Anders/HAndy/aandy
--
Anders Henriksson | Am I too pure for my own good?
email: d95...@dtek.chalmers.se | 500q => 97.6%

Andy Fawcett

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
In article <3106CA...@connexus.apana.org.au>

Orin Davyd-Leslie Thomas <or...@connexus.apana.org.au> wrote:

[Massive rend to a massive missive]

> Then again, I wonder how many MB of Relevant discussion has been generated
> over the last few years? Could probably fit that onto a floppy disk :-)

Low density at that ;-)

TTFN
Andy
--
AFP Recipe Archive \\\|/// Discworld Convention Mirror
afp-...@afawcett.demon.co.uk \\ - - // send mail to 'discserver@..'

Michael Ashton

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96
In <4e8591$c...@yama.mcc.ac.uk> per...@mcc.ac.uk (C Speed) writes:

>Please don't feel bad about this. I choose the original alias
>("whiplash" as opposed to the later abbreviation of "whippy") based on
>the *injury* and nothing else.

"Whiplash Speed" always brought that to mind. "Whippy" is much more untoward
than "Whiplash", IMH(ACI,HG)O.
--
mic...@unixsoft.demon.co.uk

Mike Knell

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96
In article <69055...@crydee.demon.co.uk>,
Jonathan Bill <j...@crydee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article: <31068b54...@news.ftech.net> ma...@monark.ftech.co.uk (Mark Burbidge) writes:
>> . . . . my fave campfire songs are "Yogi Bear", "Oh, Sir Jasper", and
>> the indominatababble "Ilkley Moor Bar 'tat"[1]
>
>Well, seeing as you asked (you were asking, weren't you?):
>Verse 1:
> Where has't a been sin' I saw thee
>Verse 2:
> Th'as been a courtin' Mary Jane

The remaining verses:

Tha's goin'a catch tha' death of cold
Then we shall have to bury thee
Then t'worms will come and eat thee up
Then ducks will come and eat up t'worms
Then we shall come and eat up t'ducks
Then we shall all have eaten'o'thee
There is a moral to this tale
Don't go a-courting Mary Jane

(not sure about the validity of the last two verses, we always used
to add them..)

Mark Burbidge

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96
In a message posted on Thu, 25 Jan 1996 19:40:46 GMT to the newsgroup
alt.fan.pratchett, Jonathan Bill wrote:

>In article: <31068b54...@news.ftech.net> ma...@monark.ftech.co.uk (Mark Burbidge) writes:

>< hack, rend >

>> . . . . my fave campfire songs are "Yogi Bear", "Oh, Sir Jasper", and
>> the indominatababble "Ilkley Moor Bar 'tat"[1]
>>

>> [1] Which I can rarely remember the words to . . .

>Well, seeing as you asked (you were asking, weren't you?):

OOh. thank you very much!

<snip>
>Maybe I'd better stop now, or do you want the lot [1]?
Aww . . . . more, more!

Quick correction from what I remember

Where has't a been sin' I saw thee

( I saw thee )
On Ilkley moor bar 'tat

Where has't a been sin' I saw thee

( I saw thee )

Where has't a been sin' I saw thee

(Without tha' trousers on)

On Ilkley moor . . .

Any one for any more? I feel an afp songfile could be called for . . .

Mark Burbidge

---------------------------------- http://www.ftech.net/~monark ---
"Nice to see you, to see you . . . .Nice!"
"THAT IS UNCOMMONLY KIND OF YOU"
---------------- Newbie Pack? Mail <Al...@sethanon.demon.co.uk> ---

Piers Cawley

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96
In article <31068b54...@news.ftech.net>,
ma...@monark.ftech.co.uk (Mark Burbidge) writes:
>In a message posted on Wed, 24 Jan 1996 15:07:22 GMT to the newsgroup

>alt.fan.pratchett, Gideon Hallett wrote:
>
>> I can remember ;
>>
>> Shoot your load up a toad, boys, shoot your load up a toad!
>>
>> and
>>
>> Stick your twig in a pig, boys! etc...
>>
>> and
>>
>> Have a cat on the mat, boys!
>>
>> and
>>
>> Sow your oats in a goat, boys.
>>
>Intercourse with a horse
>
>up the rear with a dear
>
>don't be meek with a sheep

My favourite was always

soixante-neuf with a smurf

--
\\\\\ Piers Cawley --- Frontier Internet Services \\\\\
\\\\\\\__o Purveyors of fine connections to the Internet \\\\\\\__o

-------- Quote of the moment --------------------------------------------
She asked me, "What's your sign?"
I blinked and answered "Neon,"
I thought I'd blow her mind...

Mark Burbidge

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
In a message posted on 26 Jan 1996 11:59:37 -0000 to the newsgroup

alt.fan.pratchett, Mike Knell wrote:
>(not sure about the validity of the last two verses, we always used
>to add them..)

Thanks . . . so did we!

Eleanor Blair

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96
In article <69055...@crydee.demon.co.uk>,
Jonathan Bill <j...@crydee.demon.co.uk> wrote:

well I seem to remember it more as:

>Verse 1:

> Where has't a been sin' I saw thee
> ( I saw thee )

On Ilkley Moor bar t'at

> Where has't a been sin' I saw thee

[snip]
Where has't a bin sin' I saw thee

>Chorus:
> On Ilkley Moor bar t'at
> ( bar t'at )
> On Ilkley Moor bar t'at
> ( bar t'at )
> On Ilkley Moor bar t'at
> ( where the ducks play football )

>Verse 2:
> Th'as been a courtin' Mary Jane

> ( Mary Jane )
On Ilkley Moor Bar t'at

> Th'as been a courtin' Mary Jane

[snip]

Tha's been a courtin' Mary Jane

>Chorus

etc, etc.
There was a rather interesting version we, erm, invented called Heraklion
Moor bar t'at (where Heraklion is a place on Crete, the 'at invloved was a sun
hat, you catch your death of sunstroke and the ducks play tennis) and its
apparently very erm, entertaining when sung to the tune of Bryan Adams'
"I'm gonna run to you"

maybe I'd better shut up before I say too much <grin>

love n hugs
LNR

--
Room available for .sig NO PETS .sigs over four lines long need not apply.
******e-mail me to join in the afp purity test competition******

Jonathan Bill

Jan 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/28/96
In article: <4edpcp$j...@news.ox.ac.uk> hert...@sable.ox.ac.uk
(Eleanor Blair) writes:
> In article <69055...@crydee.demon.co.uk>,
> Jonathan Bill <j...@crydee.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> well I seem to remember it more as:
< snip corrected version of 'On Ilkley Moor Bar T'at' >

You are, of course, absolutely right - my brain appears to have erm,
performed some unwanted editing. You are now the lucky recipient
of my undying gratitude [1]. :-)

< snip >

> There was a rather interesting version we, erm, invented called Heraklion
> Moor bar t'at (where Heraklion is a place on Crete, the 'at invloved was a sun
> hat, you catch your death of sunstroke and the ducks play tennis) and its
> apparently very erm, entertaining when sung to the tune of Bryan Adams'
> "I'm gonna run to you"
>
> maybe I'd better shut up before I say too much <grin>

No, no - I think you'd better carry carry on before you say too little :-)

[1] Although what you're going to do with it I have no idea [2].
[2] Any suggestions welcome ;-)

--
JJ :-)

Nanny Ogg was also a great picker-up of
unconsidered trifles.

Anders Henriksson

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
Midnight Tree Bandit <mtba...@io.com> wrote:
>A couple days ago, d95...@dtek.chalmers.se (Anders Henriksson) was yammering
>about...

>>>Should we have an *O* marking so that those easily shocked may
>>>avoid obscenities?

>>If we did that people could filter afp, and then we'll never get
>>off AOL. ;-)

>Easy! Mark every thread *O*

Right! And then some AOLers will try to get around the ban by using other
newsservers. If we're really lucky, they might even shut the whole AOL
internet connection down in order to prevent it. Yipee!

Midnight Tree Bandit

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
A couple days ago, d95...@dtek.chalmers.se (Anders Henriksson) was yammering
about...

>Bryan <br...@cornwick.win-uk.net> wrote:

>>Which brings me to the *M* bit:

>>Should we have an *O* marking so that those easily shocked may
>>avoid obscenities?

>If we did that people could filter afp, and then we'll never get
>off AOL. ;-)

Easy! Mark every thread *O*

-=><=-

100,000 druids can't be wrong! | There are 178 parent languages on our
Rev. Midnight Tree Bandit (ULC) | planet, with over one thousand dialects.
mtba...@io.com | It's amazing we communicate at all.
http://www.io.com/~mtbandit/ | -- EBN OZN

Mike

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96
In article <310881ef...@news.ftech.net>
ma...@monark.ftech.co.uk "Mark Burbidge" writes:

> Quick correction from what I remember
>

> Where has't a been sin' I saw thee
> ( I saw thee )

> On Ilkley moor bar 'tat

> Where has't a been sin' I saw thee
> ( I saw thee )

etc.

Another quick correction. Despite what the song sheets might say, it is

Weere has tha' bin sin sah saw thee (etc)

On Ilkley mooer bah't 'at. (etc)

Wiartanat eh? Prac'ly rodgering in front o't vicar.

It's quite amusing to hear professional choirs sing it. It's a sort of Julie
Andrews meets Motorhead, all the letters pronounced perfectly.

Mike. (Ee bah gum weers me wippit)

Emmet O'Brien

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
Bryan <br...@cornwick.win-uk.net> wrote:

>Which brings me to the *M* bit:

>Should we have an *O* marking so that those easily shocked may
>avoid obscenities?

But shirley if they killfile you it would solve 95% of the problem ?

Emmet
--
A bird in the Strand is worth two in Shepherd's Bush.

Daniel Bolger

Feb 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/7/96
ns.cc.flinders.edu.au>
Date: Tuesday, Feb 06, 1996 23.28.29

In article: <4f8fgd$r...@baggins.cc.flinders.edu.au> alison
<li...@pippin.cc.flinders.edu.au> writes:

> To "The Lion sleeps tonight";

"He dee hee dee dee hee de hee de der di um bum oh weh..."

"A-wim-ow-eh, A-wim-ow-eh"

Repeat until nauseated.

Daniel Bolger dan...@colouruk.demon.co.uk ...Smileys are for wimps <G>
"In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion does his toenails..."

C Speed

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
ma...@monark.ftech.co.uk (Mark Burbidge) writes:

>In a message posted on Wed, 07 Feb 1996 19:36:41 GMT to the newsgroup

>alt.fan.pratchett, Daniel Bolger wrote:
>>"A-wim-ow-eh, A-wim-ow-eh"
>>
>>Repeat until nauseated.

>Apart from that line that went "A-wim-ow-waaayyyyyyyyy" ;-)

a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey,
a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey,
a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey,
a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey,

Hey-up Ohhhh, a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh,
a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh, a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh,
Hey-up Ohhhh, a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh,
a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh, a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh,

Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! a-wim-bah-wey
Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! a-wim-bah-wey

Ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ahhhh (a-wim-bah-wey) {Lion sleeps}
Ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ahhhh (a-wim-bah-wey) {tonight bit}

We're representing Africa in the District Thinking Day event. We
needed an African song to sing. My Dad had the LP. It seemed like a
good idea at the time. The Rainbow's can't seem to remember the tune
unless they sing the words from the Lion King. I can't get the tune
out of my head at all.

The last thing I needed was you lot starting in on it too *&)

Claire
* Claire Speed [ENTX] * Network & Operations Unit, Manchester Computing *
* Dial-up, ISDN, TICTAC * C.S...@mcc.ac.uk http://www.mcc.ac.uk/Claire/ *

ppint.

Feb 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/9/96
- hi. in afparticle, <4fd0ub$b...@yama.mcc.ac.uk>,
per...@mcc.ac.uk "C Speed" growled:

> ma...@monark.ftech.co.uk (Mark Burbidge) writes:
> > In a message posted on Wed, 07 Feb 1996 19:36:41 GMT
> > to the newsgroup alt.fan.pratchett, Daniel Bolger wrote:
> >>"A-wim-ow-eh, A-wim-ow-eh"
> >>Repeat until nauseated.
>
> >Apart from that line that went "A-wim-ow-waaayyyyyyyyy" ;-)
>
> a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey,
> a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey,
> a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey,
> a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey, a-wim-bah-wey,
>
> Hey-up Ohhhh, a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh,
> a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh, a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh,
> Hey-up Ohhhh, a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh,
> a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh, a-wim-bah-weyhhhhhh,
>
> Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! a-wim-bah-wey
> Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah! a-wim-bah-wey
>
> Ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ahhhh (a-wim-bah-wey) {Lion sleeps}
> Ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ah-ah, ah-ah-ahhhh (a-wim-bah-wey) {tonight bit}
>

> We're representing Africa in the District Thinking Day event. We
> needed an African song to sing. My Dad had the LP. It seemed like a
> good idea at the time. The Rainbow's can't seem to remember the tune
> unless they sing the words from the Lion King. I can't get the tune
> out of my head at all.
>
> The last thing I needed was you lot starting in on it too *&)
>
> (Claire)

- far and away the best recording i've heard is that by robert john,
on atlantic (_possibly_ on atco or cotillion, stateside, but prob'ly
atlantic there, too): of the version of the song first recorded by
the tokens, "the lion sleeps tonight", with a superbly restrained
lead guitar "descant" line above... (it's a very late sixties/early
seventies stereo single; i dunno if there was ever an lp...)

- well worth tracking down...

- love, ppint.
--
"the life of a vegetable is of no interest to anyone whatsoever -
including to the vegetable in question. i speak from personal experience."

Dave Le Good

Feb 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/10/96
In article <823892...@i-m-t.demon.co.uk>,
"ppint." <pp...@i-m-t.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> - hi. in afparticle, <4fd0ub$b...@yama.mcc.ac.uk>,
> per...@mcc.ac.uk "C Speed" growled:
>> ma...@monark.ftech.co.uk (Mark Burbidge) writes:

>> We're representing Africa in the District Thinking Day event. We

>> needed an African song to sing. My Dad had the LP. It seemed like a
>> good idea at the time. The Rainbow's can't seem to remember the tune
>> unless they sing the words from the Lion King. I can't get the tune
>> out of my head at all.
>>
>> The last thing I needed was you lot starting in on it too *&)
>>
>> (Claire)
>>
> - far and away the best recording i've heard is that by robert john,
> on atlantic (_possibly_ on atco or cotillion, stateside, but prob'ly
> atlantic there, too): of the version of the song first recorded by
> the tokens, "the lion sleeps tonight", with a superbly restrained
> lead guitar "descant" line above... (it's a very late sixties/early
> seventies stereo single; i dunno if there was ever an lp...)
>
> - well worth tracking down...

I cannot help with the version our dear ppint recommends, but I do have a
copy of the origanal Africian (Zulu) recording, on which the western
versions are based.

I'll bring a tape copy to Manchester 2.0.

Dave

P J Bleackley

Feb 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/11/96
Mark Burbidge (ma...@monark.ftech.co.uk) wrote:
: In a message posted on Wed, 07 Feb 1996 19:36:41 GMT to the newsgroup

: alt.fan.pratchett, Daniel Bolger wrote:
: >"A-wim-ow-eh, A-wim-ow-eh"
: >
: >Repeat until nauseated.

: Apart from that line that went "A-wim-ow-waaayyyyyyyyy" ;-)

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee- oooh-a-la-ha, a-wi-om-bom-ow-weh.

--
~~~PETE "QUANTUM" BLEACKLEY~~~
Good evening everybody, and welcome to Surrealists Hieronymous

Mark Burbidge

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
In a message posted on Mon, 12 Feb 1996 14:56:10 GMT to the newsgroup
alt.fan.pratchett, Greebo wrote:
>Anyone else see "Matinee" on Channel 4 last night?
>
>A-wim-oh-way, A-wim-oh-way, A-wim-oh-way, A-wim-oh-way...

I thought it was great - until the cinema started to break apart.
"Mant" was hilarious!

- Personality ISTJ --------------- http://www.ftech.net/~monark ---

"Nice to see you, to see you . . . .Nice!"
"THAT IS UNCOMMONLY KIND OF YOU"

---------------- Newbie Pack? Mail <Al...@lspace.org> -------------

Greebo

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
In article: <4flmcj$f...@mercury.dur.ac.uk> P J Bleackley <P.J.Bl...@durham.ac.uk> writes:
> Mark Burbidge (ma...@monark.ftech.co.uk) wrote:
> : In a message posted on Wed, 07 Feb 1996 19:36:41 GMT to the newsgroup
> : alt.fan.pratchett, Daniel Bolger wrote:
> : >"A-wim-ow-eh, A-wim-ow-eh"
> : >
> : >Repeat until nauseated.
>
> : Apart from that line that went "A-wim-ow-waaayyyyyyyyy" ;-)
>
> Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee- oooh-a-la-ha, a-wi-om-bom-ow-weh.

Anyone else see "Matinee" on Channel 4 last night?

A-wim-oh-way, A-wim-oh-way, A-wim-oh-way, A-wim-oh-way...
--
John -----------------------------
| New to AFP? For a newbie |
| pack, mail Al...@lspace.org |
-----------------------------

Mike Knell

Feb 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/12/96
In article <4fd0ub$b...@yama.mcc.ac.uk>, C Speed <per...@mcc.ac.uk> wrote:

> ma...@monark.ftech.co.uk (Mark Burbidge) writes:
>
> >In a message posted on Wed, 07 Feb 1996 19:36:41 GMT to the newsgroup
> >alt.fan.pratchett, Daniel Bolger wrote:
> >>"A-wim-ow-eh, A-wim-ow-eh"
> >>
> >>Repeat until nauseated.
>
> >Apart from that line that went "A-wim-ow-waaayyyyyyyyy" ;-)
>
> We're representing Africa in the District Thinking Day event. We
> needed an African song to sing. My Dad had the LP. It seemed like a
> good idea at the time. The Rainbow's can't seem to remember the tune
> unless they sing the words from the Lion King. I can't get the tune
> out of my head at all.

Oh, you mean the cover of "The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight)" by
TMBG? Hum.

But I thought Guides and their isotopes were always singing songs like
Wim-o-Weh? It's wossname, traditional. I mean, they sing Ging Gang
Goolie (how *do* you spell that?) without looking embarrassed.. and
Kum-ba-yah, and all sorts of monstrosities.

We're teaching the Cubs "Pretty Vacant" at the moment.

Mike (just come off nights, and hadn't looked at AFP in that time -
found >1000 new articles.. *ulp*.. Who said we had a problem with
high traffic?)

--
Mike Knell [ISTP] - m...@bofh.lspace.org - "No, really, it's fine leaving me.."

C Speed

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
m...@bofh.lspace.org (Mike Knell) writes:

>Oh, you mean the cover of "The Guitar (The Lion Sleeps Tonight)" by
>TMBG? Hum.

Noooo - it's way older than that. Older than the nicer version that
was in Matinee. The album is called something silly with "Safari" in
the title and it's got some woman in those lion-watching shorts,
jacket and hat posed in such a way that she is either pretending to
dance (kind of) or is trying to make like a tree so that the lion
doesn't see her.

>But I thought Guides and their isotopes were always singing songs like
>Wim-o-Weh? It's wossname, traditional. I mean, they sing Ging Gang
>Goolie (how *do* you spell that?) without looking embarrassed.. and
>Kum-ba-yah, and all sorts of monstrosities.

Ging Gang Goolie? That's your lot isn't it? I've certainly never
heard it sung by guides anyway. Definately scout territory.

And we never sing kum-ba-yah. "Pizza Hut" yes (excellent song).
"It's a small world" yes (*aaarrrgghh*. One can only assume that most
of the rainbows have never been to disneyland). "Mister Noah built
an arky arky" yes. "Kum-ba-yah" never. After the Adams Family movies
I don't think I could and keep a straight face anyway *&)

Daniel Bolger

Feb 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/13/96
In article: <4fn17s$2...@eniac.demon.co.uk> m...@bofh.lspace.org (Mike
Knell) writes:
> I mean, they sing Ging Gang Goolie (how *do* you spell that?)

Wotcha! Ging gang goo...

I could go on...[1]

> We're teaching the Cubs "Pretty Vacant" at the moment.

I'm sorry, I *cannot* imagine this...

Daniel Bolger dan...@colouruk.demon.co.uk ...Smileys are for wimps <G>

*SLAP!*

[1] But won't, so be happy in that.

snail

Feb 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/15/96
Daniel Bolger <dan...@colouruk.demon.co.uk> writes:
>In article: <4fn17s$2...@eniac.demon.co.uk> m...@bofh.lspace.org (Mike
>Knell) writes:
>> We're teaching the Cubs "Pretty Vacant" at the moment.

>I'm sorry, I *cannot* imagine this...

I can...and I'm afraid...very afraid.

tata
--
___ |I'm a man of my word. In the end, that's all there is.
/ _ \ S L| // - Avon

Rocky Frisco

Feb 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/16/96
Mike Knell:

MK> But I thought Guides and their isotopes were always singing songs
MK> like Wim-o-Weh? It's wossname, traditional. I mean, they sing Ging
MK> Gang Goolie (how *do* you spell that?) without looking embarrassed..
MK> and Kum-ba-yah, and all sorts of monstrosities.

If you guys start singing "Michael Row the Boat Ashore," I'm leaving.

-Rock

rocky....@bgbbs.com <1:170/309> Black Gold BBS, Tulsa
WWWeb Page: http://bgbbs.com/~rocky/roc.htm

* RM 1.4 B1542 * "Congress met. I was afraid they would." - Will Rogers

Internet: rocky....@bgbbs.com (Rocky Frisco)
This message was processed by NetXpress from Merlin Systems Inc.