Update -- Mort the movie

Terry Pratchett

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
work.

Without going into lots of detail, it's hit the familiar Hollywood
iceberg (the one which would've set Good Omens in Indiana without the
Four Horsemen). People suddenly grow an extra head and say things like
"we have to make this relevant to the American teenager". And it's at
times like this I get very glad that control has not been completely
relinquished, because people are going to start suggesting really dumb
things. There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a
purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
no one shoves drugs up their bum...

--
Terry Pratchett

Dick Eney

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In article <6QEFyIAU...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,

Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
>work. [...] it's hit the familiar Hollywood
>iceberg [...] People suddenly grow an extra head and say things like

>"we have to make this relevant to the American teenager". And it's at
>times like this I get very glad that control has not been completely
>relinquished, because people are going to start suggesting really dumb
>things.

Hooray for control!

>There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a
>purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
>there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
>no one shoves drugs up their bum...

Hooray for control!

=Tamar

Tony / Gonzo

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Terry Pratchett wrote:

> There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a
> purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
> there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
> no one shoves drugs up their bum...

Surley to be in fasion it needs parts for Ewen, Robbie or Minnie and
there is nothing wrong with all these films being set in and around
Sheffield, it makes my job more interesting :)

--
From Tony Kennick aka Gonzo The Great
AFP Code 1.1 AP d-- s%40:+ a- U+ R++ F++ h+ P-

Gid Holyoake

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In article <6QEFyIAU...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
generously decided to share with us:

> ...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
> work.
>
> Without going into lots of detail, it's hit the familiar Hollywood
> iceberg (the one which would've set Good Omens in Indiana without the
> Four Horsemen). People suddenly grow an extra head and say things like

> "we have to make this relevant to the American teenager". And it's at
> times like this I get very glad that control has not been completely
> relinquished, because people are going to start suggesting really dumb
> things. There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a

> purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
> there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
> no one shoves drugs up their bum...

Aahh.. you've noticed these tendencies as well then.. these people who
say: "I am a famous movie producer, and I don't give a sh*t what the
story is, so long as it's relevant to the youthful, drug-using, boozing,
money burning a hole in their pockets students (for want of a better
description.. I mean.. students are meant to study aren't they), who are
likely to fork out the cash that other people have made available for
them to go and see it, and as long as it has a *huge* budget that I
can con several hundreds of thousand dollars from.....

Me.. Cynical.. Naah.....

Gid

--
The Most Noble and Exalted Peculiar , Harem Master to Veiled Concubines
Guardian of the Sacred !!!!!'s , Defender of the Temple of AFPdoration

Moose Morals

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In <6QEFyIAU...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett wrote:
>...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
>work.

Read header: Hopes up.
Read message: Hopes down. Oh well.

> Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
>there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
>no one shoves drugs up their bum...

Cue reverse casting thread....
Moose, who can't resist reminding Mr Pratchett to tag his posts.

--
"+++[pause]+++[pause]ATH" - Hayes Ultra 144 Manual
"Thats not fair!" she cried. "Who said it should be?" came the calm reply.

Terry Pratchett

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In article <22a443f1...@news.demon.co.uk>, Moose Morals
<pratchett.f...@fenham.demon.co.uk> writes

> Moose, who can't resist reminding Mr Pratchett to tag his posts.

I advise you to strenthen your resolve.
--
Terry Pratchett

John Barberio

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

*InwardSuckingNoise* I cant get the parts for one of those
till tuesday week. It'd be easier to buy a whole new mind
set than upgrade that part you know.

- John (C exam soon, *sigh*) Barberio

--
123456789|123456789|123456789|123456789|123456789|123456789|
SigVersion 4.2<9729...@brookes.ac.uk>New Sig File Old Posts

`morph

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Tony / Gonzo wrote in message <3572DDE0...@iname.com>...

>Terry Pratchett wrote:
>
>> There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a

>> purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --

>> there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
>> no one shoves drugs up their bum...

Hmm. Emma as Binky perhaps?

pan

David M V Ward

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Moose Morals (pratchett.f...@fenham.demon.co.uk) wrote:
> Moose, who can't resist reminding Mr Pratchett to tag his posts.

Surely He doesn't need to? Surely all dedicated collectors of the pearls
of wisdom that drop from our Lord and Master's lips have things arranged
so that his posts proclaim themselves in glorious flashing technicolour
(or somesuch arrangement)?

No?

Erm .... <scuttles off>

David Ward

Myranya

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 08:27:16 +0100, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
>work.

Bugger that :( I never go see a movie (First Contact was the last one
I saw, because as a member of the Star Trek fanclub we got a special
preview and the like) but this is one I'ld definitely would have liked
to see.

>Without going into lots of detail, it's hit the familiar Hollywood
>iceberg (the one which would've set Good Omens in Indiana without the
>Four Horsemen). People suddenly grow an extra head and say things like
>"we have to make this relevant to the American teenager". And it's at
>times like this I get very glad that control has not been completely
>relinquished, because people are going to start suggesting really dumb
>things.

Hm, nod, I'ld hate to go see my one movie of the decade and barely
recognise the book :(

>There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a
>purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
>there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
>no one shoves drugs up their bum...

What about tv series? The UK used to have some good tv series once. Or
has all that gone down the drain also? I haven't had a tv for some
years[1] but british television was pretty cool when I watched lots of
television in my highschool years.

[1] I spend all day staring at this other little screen already. Some
of my friends watch both simultaneously but I'm trying not to start on
that [2]

[2] I would, however, invade my mom's room for any Discworld stuff.

Myranya. <myr...@knoware.nl>
(Discworld email welcome. Spammers will be put on my list
of things to talk about next time I meet Lord Downey)

Barry Vaughan

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

In article <6QEFyIAU...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes

>...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
>work.
>
>Without going into lots of detail, it's hit the familiar Hollywood
>iceberg (the one which would've set Good Omens in Indiana without the
>Four Horsemen). People suddenly grow an extra head and say things like
>"we have to make this relevant to the American teenager".

A similar thing seems to happen whenever UK/US swap TV
programs. Look what happened to Dear John, Men behaving badly,
and even Married with children. I wonder why people bother
making film versions of books or local versions of TV programmes
if all they're going to do is completely destroy what made it
worthwhile in the first place.

Barry.

This post deliberately not tagged. Go ahead, pedant, make my day! ;-)

Dear God, we paid for all this stuff ourselves,
so thanks for nothing - Bart Simpson
Ba...@samael.demon.co.uk

m w grossmann

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

Terry Pratchett wrote:

> Without going into lots of detail, it's hit the familiar Hollywood
> iceberg

There are a lot of smaller film companies and students, especially in
Noo Yawk Sittie, who would jump at a chance to do something remotely
resembling a decent, intelligent script. Have you considered one of the
independent companies? The better organised of the lot set up
distribution deals with the majors and there have actually been a few
good films from some of these people.

An added benefit is that the small filmmakers don't have the tendency to
censor anything and that they don't wonder just how many explosions and
other special effects they can cram into the 90 minutes. In fact, they
don't even consider 90 minutes as a firm limit.

> "we have to make this relevant to the American teenager".

That's generally relevant only to the "summer blockbusters". The problem
is figuring out which "stars" might be able to be cast, if even in bit
parts (consider Sting in _Dune_).

> And it's at
> times like this I get very glad that control has not been completely
> relinquished

I'll get on my vegetarian knees and make a sacrifice to Offler for this
saving grace.

> There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a
> purely UK movie made.

Keep in mind that, although Roseanne Barr bought the rights to make a
film version of _Prime Suspect_ and had planned to use someone like
Sharon Stone as the leading character, both the series and the
low-Q-factor Helen Mirrin herself had enough of a following to put and
end to that. I understand the only thing holding up production is a
decent script. There is, on rare occasion, a glimmer of hope.

> Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
> there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
> no one shoves drugs up their bum...

Well.. I could actually see Hugh as Mort... clueless, unsure, mucking
everything up. And while he doesn't shove drugs up his bum, his head
certainly seems to be firmly planted there.

I could find a few competent directors and primary staff to start
filming Mort within a couple weeks. Should start handing out copies of
the book and ask about?

Cheers-

m w grossmann

blood...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <6QEFyIAU...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,

Terry Pratchett <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> ...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
> work.
>
> Without going into lots of detail, it's hit the familiar Hollywood
> iceberg (the one which would've set Good Omens in Indiana without the
> Four Horsemen). People suddenly grow an extra head and say things like
> "we have to make this relevant to the American teenager". And it's at

> times like this I get very glad that control has not been completely
> relinquished, because people are going to start suggesting really dumb
> things. There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a
> purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --

> there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
> no one shoves drugs up their bum...
>
> --
> Terry Pratchett

of course there is always Australia...Also who was going to be in it....I was
thinking that John cleese Might have made a good death. with some voice canges
maybe

lipk...@i-2000.com

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

m w grossmann wrote:

> Terry Pratchett wrote:
>
> > Without going into lots of detail, it's hit the familiar Hollywood
> > iceberg
>
> There are a lot of smaller film companies and students, especially in
> Noo Yawk Sittie, who would jump at a chance to do something remotely
> resembling a decent, intelligent script. Have you considered one of the
> independent companies? The better organised of the lot set up
> distribution deals with the majors and there have actually been a few
> good films from some of these people.
[snip]
> Cheers-
>
> m w grossmann

As an official Noo Yawker, born and bred, let me say that I'd be more
than thrilled to participate in such a project.

Pity, then, that I'm actually trained as a pal(a)eontologist and have
zero influence in the world of entertainment media.

Mind, I have zero influence in the world of pal(a)eontology, as well.
Follow your dreams, they said...

Hullo, folks. Been awhile. No, I don't expect to be remembered.

-DL

David Roy

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

m w grossmann wrote in message <35734E...@select-ware.com>...

:An added benefit is that the small filmmakers don't have the tendency to

:censor anything and that they don't wonder just how many explosions and
:other special effects they can cram into the 90 minutes. In fact, they
:don't even consider 90 minutes as a firm limit.

Most of the majors no longer consider 90 minutes even a loose time
limit. Take a look at running times - they're almost all near if not over
the two-hour limit (add an hour for anything by Oliver Stone/Kevin
Costner/James Cameron/Michael Mann). And this is _not neccessarily a good
thing_. Far too many recent films have had dead time in them. I am not
advocating exploding helicopter movies where you can't tell what the hell's
going on because the camera keeps jumping around, and I am not advocating
dumping characterisation or plot in favour of vacuous action. (I'll
happily give a list of slow quiet movies I love if challenged on this one.)
Just pointing out that the current equation of longer=better is not
necessarily true.

David

Peter Bleackley

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In [square brackets], (Moose Morals) writes:

|> Moose, who can't resist reminding Mr Pratchett to tag his posts.

Why? Who the heck would want to killfile Terry's posts?

--
~PETE "QUANTUM" BLEACKLEY~
Daleks! Repent of your evil ways, and live in peace as plumbers!

Dick Eney

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <6l0ibv$nms$1...@library.lspace.org>,
David Roy <Davi...@Computerchannel.com> wrote:
<cutting room floor>

> Most of the majors no longer consider 90 minutes even a loose time
>limit. Take a look at running times - they're almost all near if not over
>the two-hour limit (add an hour for anything by Oliver Stone/Kevin
>Costner/James Cameron/Michael Mann). And this is _not neccessarily a good
>thing_. Far too many recent films have had dead time in them.
<edit>

>Just pointing out that the current equation of longer=better is not
>necessarily true.

My own theory is that movies began to be 95 minutes long just after most
video tape standardized at 90 minutes in best-quality mode - deliberately
so that it would be harder to make unauthorized copies of videos. Once
the time-creep had started, they just kept expanding it.

=Tamar

Gid Holyoake

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <6l0lsu$3...@falcon.le.ac.uk>, Peter Bleackley generously
decided to share with us:

> In [square brackets], (Moose Morals) writes:

> |> Moose, who can't resist reminding Mr Pratchett to tag his posts.
>
> Why? Who the heck would want to killfile Terry's posts?

Nobody I would have thought.. but on a froup where tagging is the norm,
many people have filters set up to ignore posts without a tag, to cut
down on the spam.. think of it as a sort of self-moderation.. if an
article is tagged, then it's not going to be spam.. surely the reason
for posting a message to a newsgroup is that you want people to read
it.. the best way to achieve that is to make sure your posts are tagged,
and that you don't therefore end up in some people's bit-buckets before
you've even started trying to say something.....

Just a thought anyway.....

Emma Tinsley

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

IMO [1] Terry Gilliam would be a good director for Mort. He's done Brazil,
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Twelve Monkeys. His films don't
have that cheesy Hollywood feel, and they're quite bizarre. There was an
interview with him in a program on Saturday about the history of Sci-fi,
and he said that most of his films have time travel in them. Well Mort
travels out of time to go into Deaths domain, so it might appeal to him.
Failing that, my boyf. is in the middle of a media degree and plans to set
up a production company, I'm sure I can get him to do it right :)

Emma Tinsley

--
Se a vide e

[1] My first acronym!![2]
[2] And my first footnote. :)

LNR

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Gid Holyoake <G...@netcomuk.co.uk> wrote:
[killfiling Pterry]

>Nobody I would have thought.. but on a froup where tagging is the norm,
>many people have filters set up to ignore posts without a tag, to cut
>down on the spam..

Yeah, but most ppl with filters have already set up an auto-select Terry
on a higher priority filter to the kill un-tagged posts one n'est-ce
pas?

--
"bruised up and roughed, all locked up in cuffs lnr
you wear your guilt like a badge, but money's no object, @

Gid Holyoake

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <FKC*hw...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>, LNR generously
decided to share with us:

> Yeah, but most ppl with filters have already set up an auto-select Terry

> on a higher priority filter to the kill un-tagged posts one n'est-ce
> pas?

Yeah.. well.. you know that, and I know that, and anyone with filters
knows that too I suspect, but you can't go round letting truth having
its way in a discussion you know.. I mean.. if we weren't allowed to put
in the odd red-herring here and there, we might actually come to a
conclusion that everybody could agree with, and then where would we be..
up the creek without a paddle, that's where. and is that what you want,
'cos that's what you'd get :-).. I mean.. what's the point in us
discussing whether there is (or isn't) a god if some bloody fool posts
up his telephone number.....

Mr JRV. Green

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

`morph <pa...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in article
<6kv4n2$66c$1...@lyra.csx.cam.ac.uk>...

> Tony / Gonzo wrote in message <3572DDE0...@iname.com>...
>

> Terry Pratchett wrote:
>

> > There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a
> > purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
> > there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
> > no one shoves drugs up their bum...
> >

> Hmm. Emma as Binky perhaps?

I always saw Binky as being quite a nice horse.

--
RGreen

------
It's not my fault I'm like this. I blame the
Manufacturer. "OI GOD! I wish to register
a complaint!"
---

Dick Eney

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In article <Pine.OSF.3.96.980602...@manta.sanger.ac.uk>,

Emma Tinsley <e...@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

>IMO [1] Terry Gilliam would be a good director for Mort. He's done Brazil,
>The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Twelve Monkeys. His films don't
>have that cheesy Hollywood feel, and they're quite bizarre. There was an
>interview with him in a program on Saturday about the history of Sci-fi,
>and he said that most of his films have time travel in them. Well Mort
>travels out of time to go into Deaths domain, so it might appeal to him.

aol
I agree, I also think he'd do a wonderful job.

>[1] My first acronym!![2]
>[2] And my first footnote. :)

<g> Double exclamation marks... well, so long as it doesn't get up to
five...
=Tamar

The Gonzo Lager

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Not long ago, Emma Tinsley wrote:

>IMO [1] Terry Gilliam would be a good director for Mort. He's done Brazil,
>The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Twelve Monkeys. His films don't
>have that cheesy Hollywood feel, and they're quite bizarre.

Add "Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas" to that list. Very faithful to the
book. And a damn good movie in its own right (non-Gilliam fans need not
apply). Extremely trippy and a cameo by Hunter S. Thompson himself to
boot.

I don't know. I like most of Gilliam's films. He has a unique
perspective, different from the general bird's eye view of your
run-of-the-mill Stones & Tarantinos. Terry Gilliam's films are grimy
and fun at the same time. I give him props.

The Gonz'
Domain of the Gonzo Lager: http://www.iac.net/~brs/

Thorin98

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

blood...@my-dejanews.com wrote in message

was
>thinking that John cleese Might have made a good death. with some voice
canges
>maybe

Well, he's got the height and is expressive enough with his body. But why
not do a Star Wars and have the voice of James Earl Jones and someone else's
body?

--
TTYL

Thorin98
"I like my women like my coffee, in a *plastic cup*" - Eddie Izzard

Mike Kew

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

In message <6l0ibv$nms$1...@library.lspace.org>, David Roy <David.Roy
@Computerchannel.com> wrote

> Most of the majors no longer consider 90 minutes even a loose time
>limit. Take a look at running times - they're almost all near if not over
>the two-hour limit (add an hour for anything by Oliver Stone/Kevin
>Costner/James Cameron/Michael Mann). And this is _not neccessarily a good
>thing_. Far too many recent films have had dead time in them. I am not
>advocating exploding helicopter movies where you can't tell what the hell's
>going on because the camera keeps jumping around, and I am not advocating
>dumping characterisation or plot in favour of vacuous action. (I'll
>happily give a list of slow quiet movies I love if challenged on this one.)
>Just pointing out that the current equation of longer=better is not
>necessarily true.

Too right. Costner, Stone et al really *need* a vicious and
indomitable editor with a big pair of scissors. Their films would
be *so* much better if you could go in to see them at 7:30 and
still reasonably hope to be in bed by midnight. (Old? Moi?)

I've seen some excellent long films. But I've also seen some
excellent short films - films that could make me laugh, cry, smile
and think in well under two hours.

MiQ
--
"Where does it say I have to be fair?" - God, as quoted by Joseph Heller

the little black kitty

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

Gid Holyoake wrote:

> Aahh.. you've noticed these tendencies as well then.. these people who
> say: "I am a famous movie producer, and I don't give a sh*t what the
> story is, so long as it's relevant to the youthful, drug-using, boozing,
> money burning a hole in their pockets students (for want of a better
> description.. I mean.. students are meant to study aren't they), who are
> likely to fork out the cash that other people have made available for
> them to go and see it, and as long as it has a *huge* budget that I
> can con several hundreds of thousand dollars from.....

I am wondering if the people who think this way (the producers, not you,
Gid) have ever bothered to notice what some of the most enduring movies
are. Just where is the relivance in such movies as The Princess Bride?
Oh, we learned all about iocane powder, we did. Sometimes you just have
to find a good story and go with it.

--
The little black kitty,
a good *stretch* can't be rushed...

r...@greenend.org.uk

Jun 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/2/98

G...@netcomuk.co.uk (Gid Holyoake) writes:

> what's the point in us discussing whether there is (or isn't) a god
> if some bloody fool posts up his telephone number.....

We could try to sell him double-glazing?

Paul Andinach

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, Mr JRV. Green wrote:

> `morph <pa...@cam.ac.uk> wrote in article
>

> > Hmm. Emma as Binky perhaps?
>
> I always saw Binky as being quite a nice horse.

And male.

Paul
--
"...the greater part of my wardrobe is black... it's a sensible
colour. It goes with anything. Well, anything black..."

Supermouse

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

In article <6QEFyIAU...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
<tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
>work.

Waaah!

Better than the version set in New York with
Mort trying to get off drugs and the princess actually
a Trump-turned-drugs-councillor and Death as an old Chinese
herbalist, though.

Cordially,
--
Supermouse
There will be no Whitewash in the White Mouse.

Robin Parkinson

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

In article <S6Av4FAG...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,
tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk says...

> In article <22a443f1...@news.demon.co.uk>, Moose Morals
> <pratchett.f...@fenham.demon.co.uk> writes

> > Moose, who can't resist reminding Mr Pratchett to tag his posts.
> >
> I advise you to strenthen your resolve.

I've read that post twice, and I still can't work out how you worked out
Moose has a hangover.

- Robin.

--
Trout: Slightly fishy, but never coarse. Updated weekly.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/trout

Robin Parkinson

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

In article <OdOybIA26xc1Ewc$@samael.demon.co.uk>,
Ba...@samael.newantispam.demon.co.uk says...

> In article <6QEFyIAU...@unseen.demon.co.uk>, Terry Pratchett
> <tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk> writes

> >...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
> >work.
> >
> >Without going into lots of detail, it's hit the familiar Hollywood
> >iceberg (the one which would've set Good Omens in Indiana without the
> >Four Horsemen). People suddenly grow an extra head and say things like
> >"we have to make this relevant to the American teenager".
>
> A similar thing seems to happen whenever UK/US swap TV
> programs. Look what happened to Dear John, Men behaving badly,
> and even Married with children. I wonder why people bother
> making film versions of books or local versions of TV programmes
> if all they're going to do is completely destroy what made it
> worthwhile in the first place.

Have you come across 'Inauguration Boulevard' yet?

- Robin (who never passes up the chance of a quick plug)

> Dear God, we paid for all this stuff ourselves,
> so thanks for nothing - Bart Simpson

Hmm. You've just given me an idea - watch out for a forthcoming
'Inauguration Boulevard' - 'The Womblesons'.

Robin Parkinson

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

In article <3572DDE0...@iname.com>, old-...@iname.com says...

> Terry Pratchett wrote:
>
> > There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a
> > purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
> > there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
> > no one shoves drugs up their bum...
>
> Surley to be in fasion it needs parts for Ewen, Robbie or Minnie and
> there is nothing wrong with all these films being set in and around
> Sheffield, it makes my job more interesting :)

'The Full Morty'.

- Robin.

Robin Parkinson

Jun 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/3/98

In article <6QEFyIAU...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,
tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk says...

> ...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
> work.

Shame. Double shame.

> There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a
> purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
> there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
> no one shoves drugs up their bum...

'Scuse me for suggesting something from my ignorance, but I'm assuming
you're thinking about a 'pure' movie company here - is it possible to get
backing through one of those beeb/Channel 4 Films co-production thingies?
Or are we back into the lysergic-acid-diethalymide-suppository problem
again?

- Robin.

[All I could offer you for the film rights would be 37p and a half-share
in a tabby cat. But you'd get loads of production values. Abysmal
production values, admittedly, but loads of them...]

Moose Morals

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

In <MPG.fdfbf1f4...@news.lspace.org>, Robin Parkinson wrote:
>In article <S6Av4FAG...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,
>tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk says...
>> In article <22a443f1...@news.demon.co.uk>, Moose Morals
>> <pratchett.f...@fenham.demon.co.uk> writes
>> > Moose, who can't resist reminding Mr Pratchett to tag his posts.
>> >
>> I advise you to strenthen your resolve.
>
>I've read that post twice, and I still can't work out how you worked out
>Moose has a hangover.

I've checked my archives, and I'm sure I didn't have a hangover.
Moose, who only drinks on fridays, and who doesn't get hangovers,
and who only just started drinking again after a year or two.
--
"+++[pause]+++[pause]ATH" - Hayes Ultra 144 Manual
"Thats not fair!" she cried. "Who said it should be?" came the calm reply.
Advice folowed at readers risk. Opinions offered at mine.

Robin Parkinson

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

In article <3576fe39...@news.demon.co.uk>, pratchett.fan.alt-
ne...@fenham.demon.co.uk says...

> In <MPG.fdfbf1f4...@news.lspace.org>, Robin Parkinson wrote:
> >In article <S6Av4FAG...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,
> >tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk says...
> >> In article <22a443f1...@news.demon.co.uk>, Moose Morals
> >> <pratchett.f...@fenham.demon.co.uk> writes
> >> >
> >> I advise you to strenthen your resolve.
> >
> >I've read that post twice, and I still can't work out how you worked out
> >Moose has a hangover.
>
> I've checked my archives, and I'm sure I didn't have a hangover.

So, why'd he advise you to strengthen your resolve then?

- Robin.

Moose Morals

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In <MPG.fe11c13e...@news.lspace.org>, Robin Parkinson wrote:
[Snip]

>So, why'd he advise you to strengthen your resolve then?

<guess>'cause Mr Pratchett is bored of people telling him to tag his
posts</guess>

So why did you think I had a hangover?
Moose.
--
Moose Morals: Early twenties, dark hair, large build, green eyes, glasses.
Opinions offered at posters risk. Advice taken at readers.

Dick Eney

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <35782a7b...@news.demon.co.uk>,

Moose Morals <ne...@fenham.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In <MPG.fe11c13e...@news.lspace.org>, Robin Parkinson wrote:
>[Snip]
>>So, why'd he advise you to strengthen your resolve then?
>
><guess>'cause Mr Pratchett is bored of people telling him to tag his
>posts</guess>
>
>So why did you think I had a hangover?

My guess is that "Resolve" is a brand name hangover cure.

=Tamar

JudithPER

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

>My guess is that "Resolve" is a brand name hangover cure.

Actually, in Merkia, it's a carpet cleaner. That's a different problem, eh?

Judith

--
When you have a Golden Retriever, a day without slime is a day without
sunshine.

LNR

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

JudithPER <judi...@aol.com> wrote:
Tamar wrote (I think, careful Judith you snipped the attrib):

>>My guess is that "Resolve" is a brand name hangover cure.
>Actually, in Merkia, it's a carpet cleaner. That's a different problem, eh?

But quite possibly both having the same cause :-)

Ben Morgan

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

In addition to being a fantastic film (and a great book as well), The
Princess Bride did also have William Goldman behind it, a fairly
formidable figure in Hollywood, both before and after the film. Okay,
he's not as big as Scorsesi or Stone, but his name has popped up in
some surprising places.

Chugabolt

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98

Terry Pratchett wrote:

> ...is looking like it won't happen now, despite months of development
> work.
>

> Without going into lots of detail, it's hit the familiar Hollywood
> iceberg (the one which would've set Good Omens in Indiana without the
> Four Horsemen). People suddenly grow an extra head and say things like

> "we have to make this relevant to the American teenager". And it's at
> times like this I get very glad that control has not been completely
> relinquished, because people are going to start suggesting really dumb
> things. There's still some UK involvement, but I really cannot see a

> purely UK movie made. Mort isn't fashionable UK movie material --
> there's no parts in it for Hugh or Emma, it's not set it Sheffield, and
> no one shoves drugs up their bum...
>

> --
> Terry Pratchett

Ask Stanly Kubrick, see if he can do something with Mort. That would be
interesting.
"Mort: A Disc Oddyssy"
--
Chug, "THERES NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST ME."