Having a Bit of Trouble Understanding the Meaning Behind a Line in "Small Gods"....

1 view

Liszt

Feb 10, 2006, 2:10:50 AM2/10/06
>From a passage about Om bemoaning his inadequacies"

"Well, he couldn't even do the most basic of god tricks now.
Thunderbolts
with about the same effect as the spark off a cat's fur, and you
could
hardly smite anyone with one of those. He had smitten good and hard in
his time. Now he could just about walk through water and feed the One."

It's that last sentence that's giving me so much trouble. Any help
would be greatly appreciated. =]

Diane L

Feb 10, 2006, 2:28:09 AM2/10/06

Something along the lines of 'he could just about walk through water
and feed the One (himself), whereas other gods could walk *on* water
and feed the five thousand', refering to two of the miracles of Jesus.

Diane L.

Ssirienna

Feb 10, 2006, 7:42:56 AM2/10/06

"Diane L" <dian...@lindquist.plus.com> wrote in message

Oh! I took it to mean Brutha - as in his one disciple/believer etc

Ssirienna

Fwap

Feb 10, 2006, 8:36:40 AM2/10/06

Or it might mean whoever finally managed to finish that
turtle soup...

Rhiannon S

Feb 10, 2006, 8:56:58 AM2/10/06

"Fwap" <ny...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
There's good eating on a tortoise you know :o)
--
Rhiannon S

George Reid

Feb 10, 2006, 11:33:00 AM2/10/06
Liszt wrote:
> Now he could just about walk through water and feed the One."

..allusion to Jesus walking ON water and feeding the 5000
--
George

Stacie Hanes

Feb 10, 2006, 11:42:59 AM2/10/06

Well, "One" is capitalized.

--
Stacie, fourth swordswoman of the afpocalypse.
AFPMinister of Flexible Weapons & Bondage-happy predator

Ssirienna

Feb 10, 2006, 1:11:47 PM2/10/06

"Stacie Hanes" <house_d...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Ssirienna wrote:
>> "Diane L" <dian...@lindquist.plus.com> wrote in message

>>> Something along the lines of 'he could just about walk through
>>> water and feed the One (himself), whereas other gods could walk
>>> *on* water and feed the five thousand', refering to two of the
>>> miracles of Jesus. Diane L.
>>
>> Oh! I took it to mean Brutha - as in his one disciple/believer etc
>>

> Well, "One" is capitalized.

Ahh! Good point - as one would expect from a Swordmistress,

Ssirienna
--
Glibido: All talk and no action

tpfan792

Feb 10, 2006, 3:39:07 PM2/10/06
Have you tried the Pratchett Annonation File on www.lspace.org. It's
brilliant. Any meaning you ever wanted...(well almost).

Liszt

Feb 11, 2006, 7:35:46 AM2/11/06
Ah yes, the Annotated Pratchett is great. I usually integrate it with
any Discworld novel.

Liszt

Feb 11, 2006, 7:38:26 AM2/11/06
You nailed it. Went right over my head for some reason (and all of
those years of Sunday school!).

Aggie

Feb 11, 2006, 11:27:52 AM2/11/06

"Liszt" <Jdies...@aol.com> wrote in message