Wow-wow Sauce

Terry Pratchett

Jul 24, 1993, 8:23:43 AM7/24/93
I've tried posting this before but it ended up in limbo...

The Wow-Wow sauce mentioned in Reaper Man is very loosely based on the
sauce invented by William Kitchiner, 18th century British eccentric and gourmet.
Diane Duane swears she's seen the complete recipe in a modern (possibly
American) cookbook, but can't trace it. Given the general interest in things
edible, can anyone out there track it down?

Terry

Paul S. Winalski

Jul 27, 1993, 2:26:30 AM7/27/93

In article <743516...@unseen.demon.co.uk>,

tprat...@unseen.demon.co.uk (Terry Pratchett) writes:

|>The Wow-Wow sauce mentioned in Reaper Man is very loosely based on the
|>sauce invented by William Kitchiner, 18th century British eccentric and gourmet.
|>Diane Duane swears she's seen the complete recipe in a modern (possibly
|>American) cookbook, but can't trace it. Given the general interest in things
|>edible, can anyone out there track it down?

What I had in mind, based on the description, was Inner Beauty Hot Sauce,
billed as the hottest hot sauce in North America. Main active ingredient:
scotch bonnet chilies (100 times hotter than jalapenos). The label on the
bottle cautions the buyer, "Keep away from open flames, small children, and
bad advice. Sit up straight and stop mumbling."

It may not go 20 feet with mutton and charcoal digestives, but it comes close.

--PSW

Brendan Paul McCullagh/S.S

Jul 27, 1993, 10:37:15 AM7/27/93

I was thiinking the same thing. I worked for the restaraunt that
makes the stuff, or did make it, now they bottle it at the source in Costa
Rica. We used to make a pasta dish called Pasta from hell, with
hot(scotch bonnet) sausages, jerk chicken, and a few other nasties thrown
in for kicks, we didn't screw around when it came to hot. AS for
twenty-feet well let's just say it hurts twice. Terry, I'm going to run
those names by a few cook types and see if we can get you Kithciner's
recipe. (I always wondered why we called the room that :') ).

It has been a while, but I seem to remeber the sauce was available
nationally (In U.S.) through a lady who mail-orders sauces. Something
like 1-800-eat-sauce. I've seen it around at gourmet shops and stuff.