Problems with scp and ssh.

Janaina Rudberg

Feb 16, 2010, 5:26:46 PM2/16/10
Greetings, oh mighty technical people!

I haven't seen a post here in ages, but I thought I'd try anyway.

So a while ago I moved, and having moved I got new broadband services.
Whereas before I was plugged into a LAN with a static IP, now I have a
cable modem and a dynamic IP.

And I can't use scp of ssh anymore. This is a pity, because that used to
be my main method of transferring files between computers.

Sometimes it kinda sorta works, when I plug both my computers (one
running Snow Leopard and the other XP, by the way) into the cable modem
and use winSCP from the PC (using the local IP), but sometimes it
transfers half the file and then XP discovers an IP conflict.

Soooo.

How would I go about using ssh and scp off site? Is that even possible
with a dynamic IP? Can I somehow connect a domain I own to the IP?

Failing that, is there a way to get around the conflicting IP problem?

I really need to solve this problem, because the PC is one of those tiny
things without a DVD or CD drive, so my only other reasonable option of
transferring files is USB, which doesn't handle large files (something
about the encoding?).

Keep in mind that my technical skills are... patchy. Please explain as
if to an idiot.

Also, I'm not interested in switching operating systems at this point.

I'd really be grateful for the help!

/Janaina

Gary R. Schmidt

Feb 17, 2010, 8:11:59 AM2/17/10

Get a switch. This means a "Network switch" with 4 or 5 ports.
Probably about 40 or so Euros. (Hmm, print this out and go to your
nearest computer parts shop and tell them what I have said in the rest
of this message. If you also tell them *exactly* what model of Cable
modem you have, and who your ISP is, they will probably correct the
errors I have made because I don't know just what has been done in the
Netherlands by the various meddlers.) (Oh, and make sure you take the
original as well as a translated version.)

This assumes that your cable modem has an IP address that is *not*
192.168.0.x.

Plug box 1 in and give it an IP address of, say, 192.168.0.1.

Plug box 2 in and give it an IP address of, say, 192.168.0.2.

Tell them both that their gateway is the IP address of the cable modem.

And away you go.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Janaina Rudberg

Feb 17, 2010, 11:40:43 AM2/17/10
Gary R. Schmidt skrev:
Thank you!

I shall definitively try!

/Janaina

Laurence

Mar 17, 2010, 3:58:50 PM3/17/10
Janaina Rudberg wrote:
> Greetings, oh mighty technical people!
>
> I haven't seen a post here in ages, but I thought I'd try anyway.
>
> So a while ago I moved, and having moved I got new broadband services.
> Whereas before I was plugged into a LAN with a static IP, now I have a
> cable modem and a dynamic IP.
>
> And I can't use scp of ssh anymore. This is a pity, because that used to
> be my main method of transferring files between computers.
>

> Sometimes it kinda sorta works, when I plug both my computers (one
> running Snow Leopard and the other XP, by the way) into the cable modem
> and use winSCP from the PC (using the local IP), but sometimes it
> transfers half the file and then XP discovers an IP conflict.
>
> Soooo.
>
> How would I go about using ssh and scp off site? Is that even possible
> with a dynamic IP? Can I somehow connect a domain I own to the IP?

which do DNS forwarding. This means that it'll point the address you
register with them (say, example.servehttp.com) to the IP address of
your computer. They also have a program which you can run on your
computer which will update the service whenever your dynamic IP changes.
They have both Windows and Linux clients, but I don't know about Mac OS.

You say you've got 2 computers sharing a connection, but are having
conflicting IP problems - does your cable modem work as a router?
Assuming you're behind a standard home router, you'll also need to set
up port forwarding on the router so you can connect in from outside.

Does that make sense? Let me know if you want me to clarify!

Janaina Rudberg

Apr 17, 2010, 5:35:27 AM4/17/10
Laurence skrev:

> Janaina Rudberg wrote:
>> Greetings, oh mighty technical people!
>>
>> I haven't seen a post here in ages, but I thought I'd try anyway.
>>
>> So a while ago I moved, and having moved I got new broadband services.
>> Whereas before I was plugged into a LAN with a static IP, now I have a
>> cable modem and a dynamic IP.
>>
>> And I can't use scp of ssh anymore. This is a pity, because that used
>> to be my main method of transferring files between computers.
>>

>> Sometimes it kinda sorta works, when I plug both my computers (one
>> running Snow Leopard and the other XP, by the way) into the cable
>> modem and use winSCP from the PC (using the local IP), but sometimes
>> it transfers half the file and then XP discovers an IP conflict.
>>
>> Soooo.
>>
>> How would I go about using ssh and scp off site? Is that even possible
>> with a dynamic IP? Can I somehow connect a domain I own to the IP?

> which do DNS forwarding. This means that it'll point the address you
> register with them (say, example.servehttp.com) to the IP address of
> your computer. They also have a program which you can run on your
> computer which will update the service whenever your dynamic IP changes.
> They have both Windows and Linux clients, but I don't know about Mac OS.

Hmmm. Probably something to look into then.

> You say you've got 2 computers sharing a connection, but are having
> conflicting IP problems - does your cable modem work as a router?

Shouldn't think so. Note that they don't normally share a connection,
only when I want to transfer files. Because of the aforementioned IP
problems.

> Assuming you're behind a standard home router, you'll also need to set
> up port forwarding on the router so you can connect in from outside.
>
> Does that make sense? Let me know if you want me to clarify!

Hmmm. I won't pretend a light just went on in my head and everything is
clear to me now (normally the "talking to stupid"-dial needs to be
turned up just a little bit higher) but I can probably use this as a
starting point.

/Janaina

/Janaina

Denis McMahon

May 16, 2010, 10:53:02 PM5/16/10
Janaina Rudberg wrote:

> Hmmm. I won't pretend a light just went on in my head and everything is
> clear to me now (normally the "talking to stupid"-dial needs to be
> turned up just a little bit higher) but I can probably use this as a
> starting point.

Ok, there are two possible types of adsl / cable modem setup.

Type 1 is where the modem is designed to support a single computer only.

Tyep 2 is where the modem is also a router.

So, we need to work out what sort of cable modem you have first of all.
Then we can tell you if you need a simple "network switch" or a slightly
more complicated "router".

So, please look carefully on the modem for a label with serial number,
makers part number, makers name and model number, mac address etc on it.
The important parts to post are:

makers name
part and / or model number

We don't need to know the serial number or mac code. In fact, it's a
very good idea not to post those, because sometimes default passwords
are related to those codes.

I have no idea what prices are like in Euro land, but in the UK I'd
expect to pay about GBP 10.00 or so for a 5 port switch, GBP 20.00 for a
combined switch / router with 4 lan ports and wireless (useful if you
have a laptop) (turn the wireless off if you're not using it). I think
that's about EUR 15 and EUR 30, but I'm not sure.

Mind you, I'm talking about cheap and cheerful kit, you can pay a lot
more if you want to, Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link etc wireless
routers probably retail for about GBP 35.00 so EUR 50.00 or so.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Janaina Rudberg

May 21, 2010, 6:25:19 AM5/21/10
Denis McMahon skrev:

> Janaina Rudberg wrote:
>
>> Hmmm. I won't pretend a light just went on in my head and everything is
>> clear to me now (normally the "talking to stupid"-dial needs to be
>> turned up just a little bit higher) but I can probably use this as a
>> starting point.
>
> Ok, there are two possible types of adsl / cable modem setup.
>
> Type 1 is where the modem is designed to support a single computer only.
>
> Tyep 2 is where the modem is also a router.
>
> So, we need to work out what sort of cable modem you have first of all.
> Then we can tell you if you need a simple "network switch" or a slightly
> more complicated "router".
>
> So, please look carefully on the modem for a label with serial number,
> makers part number, makers name and model number, mac address etc on it.
> The important parts to post are:
>
> makers name
> part and / or model number

Scientific Atlanta 2434

> We don't need to know the serial number or mac code. In fact, it's a
> very good idea not to post those, because sometimes default passwords
> are related to those codes.
>
> I have no idea what prices are like in Euro land, but in the UK I'd
> expect to pay about GBP 10.00 or so for a 5 port switch, GBP 20.00 for a
> combined switch / router with 4 lan ports and wireless (useful if you
> have a laptop) (turn the wireless off if you're not using it). I think
> that's about EUR 15 and EUR 30, but I'm not sure.

Since I'm not in Euroland either, but in SEK-land, I'll just translate
directly from the GBP anyway, so that's ok.

> Mind you, I'm talking about cheap and cheerful kit, you can pay a lot
> more if you want to, Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link etc wireless
> routers probably retail for about GBP 35.00 so EUR 50.00 or so.

I'm all about cheap and cheerful. The reason I haven't gotten around to
following any of the other excellent advice given to me on the board are
economical, and a lack of urgency, i suppose.

Since my problem isn't really internet connectivity, but ssh/scp
related, I've also been adviced to try something like this: www.no-ip.com/

Any views on the matter?

/Janaina

Gary R. Schmidt

May 21, 2010, 10:11:59 AM5/21/10
Janaina Rudberg wrote:
[SNIP]

> Since my problem isn't really internet connectivity, but ssh/scp
> related, I've also been adviced to try something like this: www.no-ip.com/
>
> Any views on the matter?

They've been around for a while, should be okay.

FWIW, I use Zoneedit <http://www.zoneedit.com>.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

Denis McMahon

May 22, 2010, 12:13:03 AM5/22/10
On 21/05/10 11:25, Janaina Rudberg wrote:

>> So, please look carefully on the modem for a label with serial number,
>> makers part number, makers name and model number, mac address etc on it.
>> The important parts to post are:
>>
>> makers name
>> part and / or model number
>>

> Scientific Atlanta 2434

OK, as far as I can see, from this document:

http://www.internet.lu/cal_home/download/EPC%202434%207009669.pdf

you have a combined modem / router / switch. Does the document I quote
match your kit? 4 lan ports, 1 adsl line, possibly some other ports too?

>> Mind you, I'm talking about cheap and cheerful kit, you can pay a lot
>> more if you want to, Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, D-Link etc wireless
>> routers probably retail for about GBP 35.00 so EUR 50.00 or so.
>
> I'm all about cheap and cheerful. The reason I haven't gotten around to
> following any of the other excellent advice given to me on the board are
> economical, and a lack of urgency, i suppose.
>
> Since my problem isn't really internet connectivity, but ssh/scp
> related, I've also been adviced to try something like this: www.no-ip.com/
>
> Any views on the matter?

I use no-ip.com myself, the server sitting behind my combined adsl modem
/ router has a fixed lan ip and the firewall / router exposes the public
http port and uses nat to send it to the server http port.

I do a similar thing with ssh.

My set up:

adsl modem/router --- 8-port switch ---- lan connections

I have lan connections to server, desktop, laptop and spares for
visitors laptops etc.

I use a separate 8-port switch as my router / modem only has a single
lan port. The SA 2434 however has a 4-port switch built in, so hopefully
you don't need any extra kit, you just need to:

a) manually set up your server with a fixed IP address on the lan side
(because you need to tell the router what lan side machine to send
incoming connections to, and it's easier if it's a fixed ip machine).

b) open up ports on your router that you want to feed to the server, and
tell the router what ip to feed the ports to.

Note that when you open ports you will get hostile probes looking for
security flaws that can be exploited. I regularly see the following:

ssh port - frequent login failures

http port - attempts to fish for php files, and execute php files on
other servers

Typically, modem / routers have a web based interface that allows you to
assign such things.

The following are roughly the steps you need to follow:

1) In the router config interface, find out the loocal lan based address
and netmask. This might be expressed as something like:

192.168.0.0/24 or
192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

Calculate the network ip address range, these two examples both mean
192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255 (but the first and last addresses in the
network are special addresses)

2) Find out the "gateway" lan ip address of the router, this might be
something like 192.168.0.254.

3) Find out if the router provides dns, or if it has other dns servers
(there might be 2). If in doubt, you can use public dns services eg
google at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

( see http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/ )

4) Ditto for time servers if you want to use them. Public tier 2 or tier
3 time servers can be found for most european countries by googling as well.

5) Find the "dynamic" address allocation range for the router. this will
probably be a block of addresses in the network defined in (1) above, eg
192.168.0.100 - 192.168.0.200

6) Pick an ip address for your server that meets the following requirements:

a) Is not the router address (eg 192.168.0.254)
b) Is not in the dynamic range described at 6 (eg 192.168.0.100 <->
192.168.0.200)
c) Is not the first or last address in the net (eg 192.168.0.0 or
192.168.0.255)
d) Is in the network described at 1 (eg 192.168.0.0 - 192.168.0.255)

7) Configure the server to have a fixed ip address as follows (this is
an example that fits in with the above lan network):

ip address: 192.168.0.10
gateway: 192.168.0.254
dns server 1: 8.8.4.4.
dns server 2: 8.8.8.8
ntp server: 130.235.20.3 (Lund Institute of Technology)

8) Configure the server to accept connections on ssh port 22.

9) Configure the modem / router to accept connections on wan / punlic
port 22 and forward them to lan ap 192.168.0.10 port 22.

That should be about it. If you want help identifying ip ranges etc and
/ or setting up your server / host and / or modem / router, you'll have
to do a bit of digging first to get the current configuration so we can
suggest appropriate addresses, rather than guessing based on common
configurations that might not apply to your equipment.

Also, it might be useful to know if the server / host that you want to
have remote ssh access to is a windows, linux, mac or whatever box?
Obviously they have different configuration interfaces for setting up
static ip, and depending on how much guidance you need, it would be
helpful if more detailed guidance is required to make sure it addresses
the correct platforms.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Janaina Rudberg

May 24, 2010, 5:51:06 PM5/24/10
Denis McMahon skrev:

> On 21/05/10 11:25, Janaina Rudberg wrote:
>
>>> So, please look carefully on the modem for a label with serial number,
>>> makers part number, makers name and model number, mac address etc on it.
>>> The important parts to post are:
>>>
>>> makers name
>>> part and / or model number
>>>
>> Scientific Atlanta 2434
>
> OK, as far as I can see, from this document:
>
> http://www.internet.lu/cal_home/download/EPC%202434%207009669.pdf
>
> you have a combined modem / router / switch. Does the document I quote
> match your kit? 4 lan ports, 1 adsl line, possibly some other ports too?

Well, if the adsl line is the one that says usb, but is no usb port,
then yes. It also has two ports for telephones.

><snip>

> I do a similar thing with ssh.
>
> My set up:
>
> adsl modem/router --- 8-port switch ---- lan connections
>
> I have lan connections to server, desktop, laptop and spares for
> visitors laptops etc.
>
> I use a separate 8-port switch as my router / modem only has a single
> lan port. The SA 2434 however has a 4-port switch built in, so hopefully
> you don't need any extra kit, you just need to:
>
> a) manually set up your server with a fixed IP address on the lan side
> (because you need to tell the router what lan side machine to send
> incoming connections to, and it's easier if it's a fixed ip machine).
>
> b) open up ports on your router that you want to feed to the server, and
> tell the router what ip to feed the ports to.
>
> Note that when you open ports you will get hostile probes looking for
> security flaws that can be exploited. I regularly see the following:
>
> ssh port - frequent login failures
>
> http port - attempts to fish for php files, and execute php files on
> other servers
>
> Typically, modem / routers have a web based interface that allows you to
> assign such things.
>
> The following are roughly the steps you need to follow:
>
> 1) In the router config interface, find out the loocal lan based address
> and netmask. This might be expressed as something like:

Yeah. Here is where I fail. I can't find a config interface. I've found
some internet pages that suggest I need to put in the router's ip adress
(which I don't know) in the adress bar of a browser. Some even suggest
a default ip, but so far no luck.

My feeling of DUH just keeps growing.

> <snip stuff I'll be able to do once I figured out how to access the config interface.>

> Also, it might be useful to know if the server / host that you want to
> have remote ssh access to is a windows, linux, mac or whatever box?
> Obviously they have different configuration interfaces for setting up
> static ip, and depending on how much guidance you need, it would be
> helpful if more detailed guidance is required to make sure it addresses
> the correct platforms.

I think I mentioned it in the first post: It's a mac running Snow Leopard.

Thank you for your patience in explaining all this.
I must admit that if I'd known from the beginning how much fiddling
something thet used to be very easy to do would take, then I probably
would have just bought more usb sticks or something, but now I'm
determined to get this running somehow, end bleeding well ssh to my
heart's content.

/Janaina

Denis McMahon

May 24, 2010, 9:40:12 PM5/24/10

Ok, so we have to track down the ip of the router / modem. Not difficult
if you know how. You're going to learn how. :)

>> <snip stuff I'll be able to do once I figured out how to access the
>> config interface.>
>> Also, it might be useful to know if the server / host that you want to
>> have remote ssh access to is a windows, linux, mac or whatever box?
>> Obviously they have different configuration interfaces for setting up
>> static ip, and depending on how much guidance you need, it would be
>> helpful if more detailed guidance is required to make sure it addresses
>> the correct platforms.
>>
> I think I mentioned it in the first post: It's a mac running Snow Leopard.

I may have missed that, sorry.

> Thank you for your patience in explaining all this.
> I must admit that if I'd known from the beginning how much fiddling
> something thet used to be very easy to do would take, then I probably
> would have just bought more usb sticks or something, but now I'm
> determined to get this running somehow, end bleeding well ssh to my
> heart's content.
>
> /Janaina

OK, in snow leopard, presumably you have some form of tool that lets you
see your netwok settings?

Reading a website suggests:

System Preferences => Network group panel => services list => ethernet
=> advanced panel => tcp/ip tab

Look for a "gateway address" or just "gateway" That's the ip of your router.

then in your browser: http://a.b.c.d/

A good possibility from documentation about this modem family is:
http://192.168.0.1

It may ask for a username and password at this point, if a password has
been set and you don't know it I haven't figured out how to get beyond
this point, if you haven't set a password up yet, note the following
from a manual:

"First Time Users

To access the Setup page, leave the user name and password fields blank.
Then click OK to continue. Your browser will be automatically directed
to the Password Settings setup page. Enter the password you wish to use
in the 2 password fields and click Apply.

Important: We highly recommend that you set up a password to prevent
unauthorized access to the setup pages of your gateway.

Your new password becomes effective immediately. The password window
reappears. Enter your new password to gain access to the Setup page.

Note: The gateway ships from the factory without a factory-assigned
default password. You will be prompted to set up a password. Although it
is not required to setup a password, and should you elect not to set up
a password, every time you attempt to access the Setup page, you will be
prompted to set up a password.

If you choose not to enter a password, leave the password setup fields
blank and click Apply to continue directly to the Setup webpage. See
Configuring Your Password Settings (on page 62) for assistance in
setting up your password."

Can you just clarify, is your service cable or adsl? The manuals I'm
finding so far for scientific atlanta 2434 appear to be for cable modem
/ routers, not adsl ones, but for some reason I thought I was talking
about an adsl installation (it doesn't make much difference, except from
I like to make sure I'm identifying the right equipment).

Do you know the letters before 2434? I have a combined DPC 2434 and EPC
2434 manual PDF so far from:

http://www.cisco.com/web/consumer/support/userguides2/4011350.pdf

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Janaina Rudberg

May 25, 2010, 2:37:52 PM5/25/10
Denis McMahon skrev:

That was it. Yes.

> <snip password stuff>

> Can you just clarify, is your service cable or adsl? The manuals I'm
> finding so far for scientific atlanta 2434 appear to be for cable modem
> / routers, not adsl ones, but for some reason I thought I was talking
> about an adsl installation (it doesn't make much difference, except from
> I like to make sure I'm identifying the right equipment).

It's cable.

> Do you know the letters before 2434? I have a combined DPC 2434 and EPC
> 2434 manual PDF so far from:

Didn't find the letters at first (they were tiiiny), but it turns out
it's the EPC.

I can find some of the information I was supposed to dig up now, but I
still haven't found, for instance, the dynamic range. I'll be digging
some more, though.

/Janaina

Janaina Rudberg

May 25, 2010, 3:50:30 PM5/25/10
Janaina Rudberg skrev:
Following up on my own post here.

I've found what seems to be the right manual for my router
(https://www.comhem.se/downloads/instruction/Scientific_Atlanta_EPC2434.pdf)
and it helpfully states that the factory configuration of my gateway
sets aside IP addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.9 for static IP
addresses.

So I should be all set right? No. When I try those it says "Input ip
adress out of range", which doesn't compute for me. I'm assuming it has
something to do with the MAC adress, which it also asks for. I don't
know how to find it, and I have yet to find a helpful hint about this in
the manual.

Anyway. Onwards and upwards!

Winterbay

May 25, 2010, 4:10:49 PM5/25/10
Janaina Rudberg skrev:

Now, I have no idea how Macs work but on my PC I bring up a command
prompt and type "ipconfig -all" which gives me among other things the
physical address (i.e. MAC address) of my computer as a hexadecimal string.

/Winterbay

Janaina Rudberg

May 25, 2010, 4:51:59 PM5/25/10
Winterbay skrev:

Nah, tried that.

The usage on the Mac is as follows: usage: ipconfig <command> <argss>
where <command> is one of waitall, getifaddr, ifcount, getoption,
getpacket, set, setverbose

Don't know which one I'd use though.

/Janaina

Denis McMahon

May 25, 2010, 9:09:39 PM5/25/10

OK, we know that the static address range you need to use is 192.168.0.2
through 192.168.0.9

So, pick an address in that range. Set the IP address of the MAC to that
address. Let's assume 192.168.0.2

This means manually setting certain configuration settings that the MAC
normally gets dynamically, including:

ip address - 192.168.0.2
dns servers - if you have dns servers listed in your existing dynamic
config, use the same ones for the static config
gateway - use the router ip address (192.168.0.1)
ntp servers - if you have ntp servers listed in your existing dynamic
config, use the same ones for the static config
netmask - use 255.255.255.0

These are settings that you change on the MAC that you want to be able
to ssh into. The static IP settings for the MAC are probably in the same
area of configuration that you used previously to look for the gateway
ip address of the cablemodem / router.

Then all you need to do is tell the cablemodem / router to forward
public port 22 to the ip address you gave the MAC (192.168.0.2) and, as
long as the MAC is on and you know your ip (nopip.com?), you can ssh
into it from elsewhere. You should be able to do this using the web
interface of the cablemodem / router.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Janaina Rudberg

May 26, 2010, 3:10:29 PM5/26/10
Denis McMahon skrev:
I'm not so sure anymore. The manual says so (unless it's some linguistic
foible where "sets aside" means "prohibit", although that seems
unlikely, coming from an American Company), but in the modem interface,
under Setup > Fixed CPE IP Assignment, I try to enter those IPs and get
an error message saying "Input IP address out of range!".

So yeah.

> So, pick an address in that range. Set the IP address of the MAC to that
> address. Let's assume 192.168.0.2

Hang on... You mean Mac, as in Macintosh, rather than MAC as in MAC
adress, right? Because otherwise I'm confused.

> This means manually setting certain configuration settings that the MAC
> normally gets dynamically, including:
>
> ip address - 192.168.0.2
> dns servers - if you have dns servers listed in your existing dynamic
> config, use the same ones for the static config
> gateway - use the router ip address (192.168.0.1)

Can't find where to set the gateway, though.

> ntp servers - if you have ntp servers listed in your existing dynamic
> config, use the same ones for the static config
> netmask - use 255.255.255.0
>
> These are settings that you change on the MAC that you want to be able
> to ssh into. The static IP settings for the MAC are probably in the same
> area of configuration that you used previously to look for the gateway
> ip address of the cablemodem / router.
>
> Then all you need to do is tell the cablemodem / router to forward
> public port 22 to the ip address you gave the MAC (192.168.0.2) and, as
> long as the MAC is on and you know your ip (nopip.com?), you can ssh
> into it from elsewhere. You should be able to do this using the web
> interface of the cablemodem / router.

Actually managed to make it do that, anyway. So at least something is
working.

/Janaina

Denis McMahon

May 27, 2010, 11:42:59 AM5/27/10

Yes. You need to set the IP address of the computer to the static
address. The only change to make on the router is to point the ssh port
(22?) to the static ip address that you set the computer up with.

>> This means manually setting certain configuration settings that the MAC
>> normally gets dynamically, including:
>>
>> ip address - 192.168.0.2
>> dns servers - if you have dns servers listed in your existing dynamic
>> config, use the same ones for the static config
>> gateway - use the router ip address (192.168.0.1)

> Can't find where to set the gateway, though.

Hmm, I don't know what else it might be called on the snow leopard setup.

>> ntp servers - if you have ntp servers listed in your existing dynamic
>> config, use the same ones for the static config
>> netmask - use 255.255.255.0
>>
>> These are settings that you change on the MAC that you want to be able
>> to ssh into. The static IP settings for the MAC are probably in the same
>> area of configuration that you used previously to look for the gateway
>> ip address of the cablemodem / router.
>>
>> Then all you need to do is tell the cablemodem / router to forward
>> public port 22 to the ip address you gave the MAC (192.168.0.2) and, as
>> long as the MAC is on and you know your ip (nopip.com?), you can ssh
>> into it from elsewhere. You should be able to do this using the web
>> interface of the cablemodem / router.

> Actually managed to make it do that, anyway. So at least something is
> working.

Right, well if your computer is still talking to the internet, then it
knows what gateway address to use anyway, possibly it has remembered it
from when it was getting the dhcp data from the router.

Sorry, by MAC I mean the Macintosh computer, unless I actually say "MAC
address", and I don't think you actually need to worry about "MAC
addresses" at all.

(There is a way to use the MAC address instead of using the static IP,
but I think trying to explain how that works now would make you more
confused.)

In summary:

1) Set the Macintosh computer to a fixed / static ip in the range
reserved for static ip by the modem/router.

You do this by checking the range allocated in the router config (using
the web browser on the Macintosh computer) and then making the changes
to the Macintosh computer network settings using the Macinstosh computer
(System Preferences => Network group panel => services list => ethernet
=> advanced panel => tcp/ip tab).

2) Tell the modem/router that incoming connections on the port you want
to use for ssh (22?) are to be sent to the ip address (at a port you
specify) that you gave the Macintosh computer in step (1).

You do this in some configuration interface on the modem/router using
the web browser on the Macintosh computer.

3) Make sure the ssh software on the Macintosh computer is listening to
the port that you specified in step (2).

You probably do this in some configuration interface on the Macintosh
computer for the ssh software.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Janaina Rudberg

May 27, 2010, 6:12:44 PM5/27/10
Denis McMahon skrev:

I've done these things, apart from 3, and when I try to access the
computer remotely the connection times out.

In the manual for the router it says about the Fixed CPE IP Assignment
page to: "Use this page to reserve IP addresses in the DHCP pool that
will be used as static IP addresses in your local network."

Which is why I've been harping on about MAC adresses (my usage, by the
way is Mac = Macintosh, MAC = MAC adress, which is what caused my
initial confusion). You see that page lets you add static IPs, but it
wants a MAC adress.

But I must have managed to... Hang on! <At this point Janaina remembers
that after doing the port forwarding, she also did something stupid, and
broke the Internet, and while fixing it, reset the router>

Never mind! I'm ssh-ing fine now. Problem solved!

I must thank you again for your incredible patience and helpfulness.
This will make my life easier in so many little ways (like never having
to look for the bloody memory sticks, for instance).

If I can ever help you with. Uh. <Searches skillset for useful stuff,
and fails...> Language technology stuff, or something. Just ask!

/Janaina

Denis McMahon

May 27, 2010, 7:57:25 PM5/27/10

Ah

If I'd known that .......

OK, what that page in the router lets you do is set up a client MAC
address (eg the MAC address of your Macintosh computer) to allways
receive the same ip address in dhcp from the router, so that when your
Macintosh asks on the network "can I have an IP address" the router says
"ah, I know about your MAC address, I have to give you ip address a.b.c.d"

That would be another way of setting your Macintosh computer up to
always get the same IP address on your local network (which would let
you use the port forwards / ssh) but would also leave it on dynamic ip
settings if you ever wanted to use it on another network.

> But I must have managed to... Hang on! <At this point Janaina remembers
> that after doing the port forwarding, she also did something stupid, and
> broke the Internet, and while fixing it, reset the router>
>
> Never mind! I'm ssh-ing fine now. Problem solved!
>
> I must thank you again for your incredible patience and helpfulness.
> This will make my life easier in so many little ways (like never having
> to look for the bloody memory sticks, for instance).
>
> If I can ever help you with. Uh. <Searches skillset for useful stuff,
> and fails...> Language technology stuff, or something. Just ask!

Ok, one thing to note, if this is a laptop (I don't know if you said,
and if you did I ignored it as it wasn't relevant) then if you ever want
to use it on another network, you may have to switch it back to dynamic
addressing.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Janaina Rudberg

May 28, 2010, 12:59:58 AM5/28/10
Denis McMahon skrev:
It's a stationary, so it that would happen only if I move or switch
provider, so that's ok. Besides, it wouldn't work.

>> But I must have managed to... Hang on! <At this point Janaina remembers
>> that after doing the port forwarding, she also did something stupid, and
>> broke the Internet, and while fixing it, reset the router>
>>
>> Never mind! I'm ssh-ing fine now. Problem solved!
>>
>> I must thank you again for your incredible patience and helpfulness.
>> This will make my life easier in so many little ways (like never having
>> to look for the bloody memory sticks, for instance).
>>
>> If I can ever help you with. Uh. <Searches skillset for useful stuff,
>> and fails...> Language technology stuff, or something. Just ask!
>
> Ok, one thing to note, if this is a laptop (I don't know if you said,
> and if you did I ignored it as it wasn't relevant) then if you ever want
> to use it on another network, you may have to switch it back to dynamic
> addressing.

I've understood that. Thank you.

/Janaina

Andr� Coutanche

May 28, 2010, 4:07:54 AM5/28/10
Janaina Rudberg wrote:

<SNIP>

> I've understood that. Thank you.

And a one-line message is now 16kB. Everyone correctly bottom-posts but has
no-one heard of snipping?

Andr� Coutanche

Janaina Rudberg

May 29, 2010, 5:19:44 AM5/29/10
Andr� Coutanche skrev:
It wasn't actually a one line message, but yes snippage could have been
done better.

/Janaina