Filteers for MI5 crap

Elliott Grasett

Aug 20, 2007, 2:12:03 PM8/20/07
I'm presently posting using Thunderbird version 1.0.2.

I have attempted to filter out this MI5 crap using
the following filter:

"match any of the following;
sender contains MI5V...@mi5gov.uk

mark message as read"

Regret to say that these messages are still showing up as unread.

*sigh* What have I done wrong?

And will "delete message" work?

--
Cheers,
Elliott

One cannot long remain despondent in a world
that daily affords one something new to loathe.

esmi

Aug 23, 2007, 2:55:57 PM8/23/07
on 20/08/2007 19:12 Elliott Grasett said the following:

> I'm presently posting using Thunderbird version 1.0.2.

Eek! Were you aware that the current version is 2.0.0.6?

> I have attempted to filter out this MI5 crap using
> the following filter:
> "match any of the following;
> sender contains MI5V...@mi5gov.uk
> mark message as read"
> Regret to say that these messages are still showing up as unread.
> *sigh* What have I done wrong?

"mi5gov.uk" isn't a valid DN according to Nominet. Having said that,
I've got an almost identical[1] filter set up to remove these posts in
afp & abp and I haven't seen one for a while.

Double-check that you're setting the filter for right groups(s) or news
server and that the filter is enabled. The latter is obvious but easy to
miss.

> And will "delete message" work?

It seems to for me.

esmi

[1] I'm using 'From is MI5V...@mi5gov.uk' with action set to 'Delete'.

--
2008 Discworld Convention
22nd to 25th August 2008

Elliott Grasett

Aug 23, 2007, 10:55:15 PM8/23/07
esmi wrote:
> on 20/08/2007 19:12 Elliott Grasett said the following:
>
>> I'm presently posting using Thunderbird version 1.0.2.
>

> Eek! Were you aware that the current version is 2.0.0.6?
>
>> I have attempted to filter out this MI5 crap using
>> the following filter:
>> "match any of the following;
>> sender contains MI5V...@mi5gov.uk
>> mark message as read"
>> Regret to say that these messages are still showing up as unread.
>> *sigh* What have I done wrong?
>

> "mi5gov.uk" isn't a valid DN according to Nominet. Having said that,
> I've got an almost identical[1] filter set up to remove these posts in
> afp & abp and I haven't seen one for a while.
>
> Double-check that you're setting the filter for right groups(s) or news
> server and that the filter is enabled. The latter is obvious but easy to
> miss.
>
>> And will "delete message" work?
>

> It seems to for me.
>
> esmi
>
> [1] I'm using 'From is MI5V...@mi5gov.uk' with action set to 'Delete'.

Thanks, esmi.

Over on afp, Cathy Young has identified my misspelling of the address.
Once I inserted the apposite period, the problem was resolved.
(And how zat for a passive-aggressive use of the passive voice?) ;)

--
Cheers,
Elliott