[LR NEWS] African American Pink Ranger?!

Froog T. SqueezyCheese

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Walkon9 wrote:

> What is the deal with this, judging the guy who posted earlier is not full of
> it. I know for a fact that LightSpeed Rescue casting has NOT begun, or if it
> has, it's in the early stages. At that, the extras are casted way after the
> plot and main cast is ironed out, and I know this has not been accomplished.
> Anyways, AN AFRICAN AMERICAN CANNOT BE A PINK RANGER!
>
> That may sound racist, but it's true. The Pink Rangers have all been "All
> American" girls. The ethnic side of the female Rangers goes to yellow. Think
> about it:
> Trini: Japanese, chinese, whatever

Vietnamese, actually.

> Aisha: African American
> Tanya: African American
> Ashley: All American Blond

Really? Looked kinda brownish to me.

> Maya: An alien (does that count?)
>
> As for Pink Rangers, they've always been all-american, with the small exception
> of Cassie.
> Kim- All American (TOTALLY)
> Kat- Poopy head all American (okay, so i didnt like kat)

American? Wasn't she more Australian? The accent, the fact that she was said to
come from Australia... does that mean nothing?

> Cassie- Asian, but depicted as an All-American

So Caucasians are All-American (and all American, judging by your description of
Kat), and Asians can be, but African-Americans can't? Can I please see some
justification of that other than 'because I said so'?

> Kendrix- MegaWhiz All-Galaxian girl
> Karone- All Galaxian Girl

She's an alien too. I hardly see how she qualifies as any more 'special' than
Maya.

> Plus what would the black Pink Rangers name be? It HAS to start with a "K"
> sound. The only one I can think of is Khadijah.

Does the name Karan Ashley mean anything to you?

> That isn't a Ranger-y name to
> me. I know I'm sounding racist, but in all seriousness, the PR world of the
> Pink Ranger has been molded by all american caucasion women. I don't think that
> in the fifth incarnation, we should break that mold with a new ethnic
> background. In my opinion...CAUCASION PINK RANGER!
>
> I'm really interested to see the feed-back on this one.

Oh, I see. You only posted this for the attention. I suppose I should be ignoring
this, then, but I just... have a hard time letting something like this stand, even
when the only alternative is feeding the trolls. Sorry everyone, and you can blame
his next dozen posts on me.

--
"Real life ALWAYS sounds like a B-movie."--Jason (Straight On 'Til Morning by Ellen
Brand)

Walkon9

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
[...]

sound. The only one I can think of is Khadijah. That isn't a Ranger-y name to

me. I know I'm sounding racist, but in all seriousness, the PR world of the
Pink Ranger has been molded by all american caucasion women. I don't think that
in the fifth incarnation, we should break that mold with a new ethnic
background. In my opinion...CAUCASION PINK RANGER!

I'm really interested to see the feed-back on this one.

Walkon9

LightstarBlue

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
> Plus what would the black Pink Rangers name be? It HAS to start with a
"K"
> sound. The only one I can think of is Khadijah.

Well, you're wrong then. Heck, anything can be a name nowadays. And, Saban
can break the mold with "K" names all the time and go with something
different. Moesha, the Pink Ranger, anyone?

I think it'd be weird to have the Yellow Ranger's name start with "K" for a
change. I remember writing many PRiS scenarios where Karone replaced Ashley
as the Yellow Ranger, but those never got really far... well, there was my
mini-series of "original" PRiS adventures with Andros, Zhane, Karone, and 3
other people who were the team at about 4-5 years before PRiS. Of course, it
wipes out that Karone was kidnapped at age 4, but that's what fanfics are
for. :-)

Anyway, I cast an African-American as the Pink Ranger in that. Remember
"Clueless", the TV series? Stacey Dash from there was who I cast, and she
"played" Carrie, the Pink Ranger.

Back to the original subject... who's to say that Lightspeed Rescue won't
break the mold of everything that PR's been for the past 6 series? It is a
new beginning, you know. Absolutely NO PRiS connections will be in this
series (except for Alpha-6, but he's a PR icon). New world, new Rangers...
new standards for Power Rangers.

~ LightstarBlue

Chris Neumann

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
> That may sound racist, but it's true. The Pink Rangers have all been "All
> American" girls. The ethnic side of the female Rangers goes to yellow. Think
> about it:

> Trini: Japanese, chinese, whatever
She's Vietnamese

> Aisha: African American
> Tanya: African American
> Ashley: All American Blond

I think brunette Catholic, personally.

> Maya: An alien (does that count?)

She looks slightly hispanic

> As for Pink Rangers, they've always been all-american, with the small
exception
> of Cassie.
> Kim- All American (TOTALLY)
> Kat- Poopy head all American (okay, so i didnt like kat)

Actually, she was Australian. They did mention that. And she was a hotty.

> Cassie- Asian, but depicted as an All-American
> Kendrix- MegaWhiz All-Galaxian girl

Universal.

> Karone- All Galaxian Girl

> Plus what would the black Pink Rangers name be? It HAS to start with a "K"

> sound. The only one I can think of is Khadijah. That isn't a Ranger-y name to
> me. I know I'm sounding racist, but in all seriousness, the PR world of the
> Pink Ranger has been molded by all american caucasion women. I don't
think that
> in the fifth incarnation, we should break that mold with a new ethnic
> background. In my opinion...CAUCASION PINK RANGER!

Maybe Kenara, Kara, Kaya, etc.

Chris

Montgomery

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
Walkon9 <wal...@aol.com> wrote:
> What is the deal with this, judging the guy who posted earlier is not full of
> it. I know for a fact that LightSpeed Rescue casting has NOT begun, or if it
> has, it's in the early stages. At that, the extras are casted way after the
> plot and main cast is ironed out, and I know this has not been accomplished.
> Anyways, AN AFRICAN AMERICAN CANNOT BE A PINK RANGER!

> As for Pink Rangers, they've always been all-american, with the small exception
> of Cassie.

> Kat- Poopy head all American (okay, so i didnt like kat)

Kat is Australian.

Red Racer

Dec 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/8/99
This racist post aside, it's Pink Ranger's turn to be black. Think
about it.

Red Ranger - TJ
Blue Ranger - TJ
Yellow Ranger - Aisha, Tanya
Green Ranger - Damon
Black Ranger - Zack

So...the only Ranger not to be black so far is Pink.
So...it's Pink Ranger's turn now.

Crowmeus aka Gold Astro Ranger

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
>> Plus what would the black Pink Rangers name be? It HAS to start with a "K"
>> sound. The only one I can think of is Khadijah. That isn't a Ranger-y name
>> me. I know I'm sounding racist, but in all seriousness, the PR world of the
>> Pink Ranger has been molded by all american caucasion women. I don't
>think that
>> in the fifth incarnation, we should break that mold with a new ethnic
>> background. In my opinion...CAUCASION PINK RANGER!
>
>Maybe Kenara, Kara, Kaya, etc.

Or, the name that originally floated around for the character that became
Tanya: Kenya
--
CrowmeusLand - http://www.homestead.com/crowmeusland/index.html
Crowmeowme Homepage - http://www.homestead.com/Crowmeowme/index.html

miko

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
In article <384EEC43...@mta.ca>, "Froog says...

>Walkon9 wrote:

>> Cassie- Asian, but depicted as an All-American
>

>So Caucasians are All-American (and all American, judging by your description of
>Kat), and Asians can be, but African-Americans can't? Can I please see some
>justification of that other than 'because I said so'?

No, no, no....Froog, you got it all wrong, my friend...according to him Asians
can be "depicted" as All-American, that doesn't mean they really are. Now if
African-Americans could be "depicted" as All-American that would be a different
story...[sarcasim]

The Rahat

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
On 08 Dec 1999 23:20:29 GMT, wal...@aol.com (Walkon9) wrote:

>What is the deal with this, judging the guy who posted earlier is not full of
>it. I know for a fact that LightSpeed Rescue casting has NOT begun, or if it
>has, it's in the early stages. At that, the extras are casted way after the
>plot and main cast is ironed out, and I know this has not been accomplished.
>Anyways, AN AFRICAN AMERICAN CANNOT BE A PINK RANGER!
>

>That may sound racist, but it's true. The Pink Rangers have all been "All
>American" girls. The ethnic side of the female Rangers goes to yellow. Think
>about it:
>Trini: Japanese, chinese, whatever

>Aisha: African American
>Tanya: African American
>Ashley: All American Blond

>Maya: An alien (does that count?)
>

>As for Pink Rangers, they've always been all-american, with the small exception
>of Cassie.

>Kim- All American (TOTALLY)

>Kat- Poopy head all American (okay, so i didnt like kat)

Austrailian.

>Cassie- Asian, but depicted as an All-American

no.

>Kendrix- MegaWhiz All-Galaxian girl
scottish? maybe irish?

>Karone- All Galaxian Girl
no.

>Plus what would the black Pink Rangers name be? It HAS to start with a "K"
>sound. The only one I can think of is Khadijah. That isn't a Ranger-y name to
>me. I know I'm sounding racist, but in all seriousness, the PR world of the
>Pink Ranger has been molded by all american caucasion women. I don't think that
>in the fifth incarnation, we should break that mold with a new ethnic
>background. In my opinion...CAUCASION PINK RANGER!
>

>I'm really interested to see the feed-back on this one.
>
>Walkon9

Please shutup and stop being so racist.

miko

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
<snip long idiotic post>

Am I the only one who is offended by this post? What the hell does being White,
Black, Asian, Indian, and what have you, have anything to do with being All
American? Last time I checked being all American does not have anything to do
with your race. Don't forget Whites immegrated to this country just like every
other race did except for the Native Americans. And if some people want to go
down that road then true Native Americans should be the only ones called "All
American". And who says that the Pink Ranger ALWAYS needs to be white or her
name to start with a K? Change is good you know....and different ethnic and
race backround groups for the rangers keeps the show fresh. I mean how boring
would it be if we ALWAYS had the same ethnic group playing the same color
ranger. Who here would be in suspense to see what the next cast would be made
up of and what colors they would be if we already knew Saban would use the same
ones as he did last time. Like with the Red Ranger...gee wonder what next
year's Red leader will be. I have nothing against the Pink Ranger being white
or black, or what have you but to hear people talk like the person on this post
just did....its just plain ridiculious. Chance is good [miko's two cents on the
matter]

miko

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
In article <19991208230132...@ng-cr1.aol.com>, bdou1...@aol.com
says...

>Your a DUMB ASS, by the way, Kat was from down under

Hahaha....good one. ^_^

Rachel Ward

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
In article <8HZ34.89217$PF1.4...@quark.idirect.com> , "Cynthia Chan"
<cyc...@idirect.com> wrote:

>>Like with the Red Ranger...gee wonder what next
>>year's Red leader will be.
>

>Hopefully, a girl will be the next Red leader. I'm sick of seeing only guys
>being the Red Ranger.

Sadly, that's very unlikely, unless there's a sentai with a female Red
Ranger. It's bad enough that Maya's sentai counterpart is flat as a board,
except for in the crotchular area!

-----------
Rachel Ward :: Isolde :: Wench 422 :: MiSTie 91289
Bodacious Sylph O' Nekkidity :: members.aol.com/bodacioussylph

"A blisful lyf, a paisible and a swete,
Ledden the peples in the former age." Chaucer, "The Former Age."

BDou104614

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99

Rachel Ward

Dec 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/9/99
In article <19991209091859...@ng-fy1.aol.com> ,

crow...@aol.comPRWFPREZ (Crowmeus aka Gold Astro Ranger) wrote:

>>> Plus what would the black Pink Rangers name be? It HAS to start with a "K"
>>> sound. The only one I can think of is Khadijah. That isn't a Ranger-y name
>>> me. I know I'm sounding racist, but in all seriousness, the PR world of the
>>> Pink Ranger has been molded by all american caucasion women. I don't
>>think that
>>> in the fifth incarnation, we should break that mold with a new ethnic
>>> background. In my opinion...CAUCASION PINK RANGER!
>>

>>Maybe Kenara, Kara, Kaya, etc.
>
>Or, the name that originally floated around for the character that became
>Tanya: Kenya

Or, in fact, any name that begins with a "K." Why on earth do people assume
that an African (or African-American) Ranger *must* have an ethnic-sounding
name? There has, admittedly, been a recent vogue for unusual names, but
there is *no reason* why an African-American female Ranger couldn't be
called Kathy, or Caitlyn, or Kelly, or Kristine.

Informitor

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
> AN AFRICAN AMERICAN CANNOT BE A PINK RANGER!

And why the heck not?

>That may sound racist, but it's true. The Pink Rangers have all been "All
>American" girls.

If there's anything I've learned about PR, it's "everything changes".

>As for Pink Rangers, they've always been all-american, with the small
>exception
>of Cassie.

A-HA!

>Plus what would the black Pink Rangers name be? It HAS to start with a "K"
>sound. The only one I can think of is Khadijah.

WTF? The could just use an American name.

Informitor- Psycho Green
.

katrinka

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
Since when has African Americans and Asian Americans not been
'all American."?

--
Katr...@flash.net
Vist My Sentai/Metal Hero/Anime Page!

Neutrino

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
This is what happens with inbreeding I guess.

"Walkon9" <wal...@aol.com> wrote in message

> What is the deal with this, judging the guy who posted earlier is not full
of
> it. I know for a fact that LightSpeed Rescue casting has NOT begun, or if
it
> has, it's in the early stages. At that, the extras are casted way after
the
> plot and main cast is ironed out, and I know this has not been
accomplished.

> Anyways, AN AFRICAN AMERICAN CANNOT BE A PINK RANGER!

> That may sound racist, but it's true. The Pink Rangers have all been "All

> American" girls. The ethnic side of the female Rangers goes to yellow.
Think
> about it:
> Trini: Japanese, chinese, whatever
> Aisha: African American
> Tanya: African American
> Ashley: All American Blond
> Maya: An alien (does that count?)
>

> As for Pink Rangers, they've always been all-american, with the small
exception
> of Cassie.

> Kim- All American (TOTALLY)
> Kat- Poopy head all American (okay, so i didnt like kat)

> Cassie- Asian, but depicted as an All-American

> Kendrix- MegaWhiz All-Galaxian girl
> Karone- All Galaxian Girl
>

> Plus what would the black Pink Rangers name be? It HAS to start with a
"K"

> sound. The only one I can think of is Khadijah. That isn't a Ranger-y name
> me. I know I'm sounding racist, but in all seriousness, the PR world of
the
> Pink Ranger has been molded by all american caucasion women. I don't think
that
> in the fifth incarnation, we should break that mold with a new ethnic
> background. In my opinion...CAUCASION PINK RANGER!

Informitor

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
>This is what happens with inbreeding I guess.

WTF?

Informitor- Psycho Green
.

Informitor

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
>Am I the only one who is offended by this post?

Nope.

>hat the hell does being White,
>Black, Asian, Indian, and what have you, have anything to do with being All
>American?

Nothing.

Informitor- Psycho Green
.

psych...@my-deja.com

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99
In article <19991208182029...@ng-fg1.aol.com>,

wal...@aol.com (Walkon9) wrote:
> What is the deal with this, judging the guy who posted earlier is not
full of
> it. I know for a fact that LightSpeed Rescue casting has NOT begun, or
if it
> has, it's in the early stages. At that, the extras are casted way
after the
> plot and main cast is ironed out, and I know this has not been
accomplished.
> Anyways, AN AFRICAN AMERICAN CANNOT BE A PINK RANGER!

Well, obviously. If YOU say it can't happen, then who are WE to say
otherwise...bitch.

> That may sound racist,

You're right. It does.

The Pink Rangers have all been
"All
> American" girls.

Yeah, and until a few years ago, Zordon & Alpha 5 were always around
guiding the Rangers. But (gasp) that changed. As many have stated before
me, change is an integral part of PR.

> Trini: Japanese, chinese, whatever

If you can't even get it right, don't talk about it.

> As for Pink Rangers, they've always been all-american, with the small
exception
> of Cassie.
> Kim- All American (TOTALLY)
> Kat- Poopy head all American (okay, so i didnt like kat)

American? Yeah, after she moved from freakin' AUSTRALIA, moron! You new
to PR?

> Cassie- Asian, but depicted as an All-American

Not quite, IMO. Especially in "Passing The Torch", when she makes note
of her martial arts moves coming from her ancestors (IIRC, that is)

> Karone- All Galaxian Girl

Alien, dumbass.

> Plus what would the black Pink Rangers name be? It HAS to start with
a "K"
> sound.

No it doesn't.

The only one I can think of is Khadijah. That isn't a Ranger-y
name to
> me.

It doesn't have to be an "african-american sounding" name. Any name
under the sun will work.

> I know I'm sounding racist,

Yeah, you are.

>In my opinion...CAUCASION PINK RANGER!

Well, that is your opinion. I can't argue with that. But, here's my
opinion: It's time for your brain-implant surgery.

> I'm really interested to see the feed-back on this one.

In other words, you're obviously doing this for attention.

--
"If you can't fight like a man, go tend sheep with the women!"
- Ivar, "Ivar's Revenge"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Cynthia Chan

Dec 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/10/99

Like with the Red Ranger...gee wonder what next
>year's Red leader will be.

Hopefully, a girl will be the next Red leader. I'm sick of seeing only guys
being the Red Ranger.

Cynthia Chan

SMarsh5932

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
I come back from a short break from AFPR and this is what I find. Keep in mind,
I had tone down what I was going to originally post.

>Kat- Poopy head all American

She's Austrailian (SP?) you dumb, rascist retard.

>Plus what would the black Pink Rangers name be? It HAS to start with a "K"
>sound.

No it doesn't, dumb a<beep>.

>I know I'm sounding racist

Correction, you are a racist.

>in all seriousness, the PR world of the
>Pink Ranger has been molded by all american caucasion women.

It's times like these, I'm glad AOL has a KF feature now

>In my opinion...CAUCASION PINK RANGER!

In my opinion, Walkon9 is a RACIST PIECE OF <beep>!

Kenneth Hillis

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
<Walkon9's post snipped>

I have one word for you:

Baka.

Mirv465

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
1) You're racist.
2) Why does the Pink Ranger Have to be All-American?
3) Any race can be depicted as All-American
4) All American doesn't apply in a SPACE colony
5) You're racist
6) Your argument is full of inconsistencies
7) GROW UP, it's only TV, and the people who make it can do whatever they want
8) Did I forget to mention that you're racist?
9) Khadijah?! You are really racist

Riddler

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
miko wrote:

> In article <384EEC43...@mta.ca>, "Froog says...
> >
> >Walkon9 wrote:
>

> >> Cassie- Asian, but depicted as an All-American
> >

> >So Caucasians are All-American (and all American, judging by your description of
> >Kat), and Asians can be, but African-Americans can't? Can I please see some
> >justification of that other than 'because I said so'?
>
> No, no, no....Froog, you got it all wrong, my friend...according to him Asians
> can be "depicted" as All-American, that doesn't mean they really are. Now if
> African-Americans could be "depicted" as All-American that would be a different

> story...[sarcasm]

Well, of COURSE Asians can be depicted as all-American, Miko. Remember Margaret Cho
in All-American Girl? [extreme sarcasm]

Riddler

Dec 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/11/99
Red Racer wrote:

> This racist post aside, it's Pink Ranger's turn to be black. Think
> about it.
>
> Red Ranger - TJ
> Blue Ranger - TJ

Also Cestro.

> Yellow Ranger - Aisha, Tanya
> Green Ranger - Damon
> Black Ranger - Zack
>
> So...the only Ranger not to be black so far is Pink.
> So...it's Pink Ranger's turn now.

We haven't had a black White Ranger, either. Of course, that will depend on
whenever we get another White Ranger in sentai. <shrug>

Dagmar Buse

Dec 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/13/99
Actually, in an excellent fanfic by Cheryl Roberts ("Dark Lady", for
those who are interested), it is postulated that in a Ranger team of the
far future (like 200 years or so) the Rangers and their colors actually
represent the different continents, which I thought a fabulous idea.

Of course, the tightly-knit group of friends who hang out together all
the time went down the drain, but it still made sense and was
acceptable. And no, "Dark Lady" is *not* about that Ranger team
primarily, but Cheryl said she might go back to it at some (much) later
point.

Incidentally, her White Ranger was American, but only because for the
purpose of the story he was a descendant of Tommy ...

Dagmar.