Bio of space tyrant

Matthew M. Hosler

Jul 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/23/96

In article <Rali-22079...@dept47.ac-sia.depaul.edu>,
Ra...@shrike.depaul.edu (Raz) wrote:
>I was "dusting" my bookshelf, and i ran into a piers anthony novel i
>thought i never had. Its called "Statesman".This is the 5th book in the
>Bio of Space Tyrant series supposedly. Has anyone read this series? I dont
>recall reading this. (seems this is one of those books that somehow didnt
>get lostthrough my grade school years :) )
>
>Also, i havent read the Cluster series. In fact i went to my bookstore and
>they didnt even have a listing for those books' availibilty. I guess they
>are either really old, or never took off. Whats the story on these?

actually, they are pretty good, but old, the first book published in 1977.
All the books are hard to find especially books 4 and 5 which are out of
print.

>Thanks,
>
>Ra...@shrike.depaul.edu
>Raz...@aol.com

---
Matt Hosler
Northwestern University

Raz

Loujean M Baker

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

In article <Rali-22079...@dept47.ac-sia.depaul.edu>,
Ra...@shrike.depaul.edu says...

>I was "dusting" my bookshelf, and i ran into a piers anthony novel i
>thought i never had. Its called "Statesman".This is the 5th book in the
>Bio of Space Tyrant series supposedly. Has anyone read this series? I dont
>recall reading this. (seems this is one of those books that somehow didnt
>get lostthrough my grade school years :)

I have read the series twice - I have all 5 books - and enjoyed them each
time.

>Also, i havent read the Cluster series. In fact i went to my bookstore and
>they didnt even have a listing for those books' availibilty. I guess they
>are either really old, or never took off. Whats the story on these?

Now, this series I haven't gotten into. Anyone out there comment?

Loujean

Sanford's Toys

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

I really recommend the Cluster series. It's right up there with Piers'
earlier Xanth novel. However the scales are tipped more towards sci-fi
and less towards fantasy.

Thanks

Jon

Sanford's Toys
<sanf...@execpc.com>

<----------------SANFORD'S TOYS ----------------->
< SOTE/POTF2 Cases/sets/singles, X-Men/X-Force >
< CCG Magic/Alliance, Marvel, Spawn, Batman >
< Many other action figures available on request >
<------------------------------------------------>

Lori C.

Jul 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/24/96

Raz wrote:
> ....Bio of Space Tyrant series supposedly. Has anyone read this series?
> Also, i havent read the Cluster series.

I was trying to remember the Cluster series. I really enjoyed that
entire series. I couldn't much get into the Tarot series. I read the
first of the "Bio of a Space Tyrant" and didn't like it enough to
continue on.

Lori

A Friend to Society

Jul 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/25/96

On 23 Jul 1996, Raz wrote:

> I was "dusting" my bookshelf, and i ran into a piers anthony novel i
> thought i never had. Its called "Statesman".This is the 5th book in the
> Bio of Space Tyrant series supposedly. Has anyone read this series? I dont
> recall reading this. (seems this is one of those books that somehow didnt

> get lostthrough my grade school years :) )

I've read the first 3 of the Bio books. I thought that they were decent
-- I read them in middle school. I've been wanting to get my hands on the
series to reread it, but my local library branch is kind of small, and the
university library doesn't carry the Bio books.

> Also, i havent read the Cluster series. In fact i went to my bookstore and
> they didnt even have a listing for those books' availibilty. I guess they
> are either really old, or never took off. Whats the story on these?

The Cluster series is rather old, and sort of so-so in comparison to most
of Piers' works. I did liek Viscous Circle, though.

S C. M. Lux S
S _/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/ Senior, MIS Major S
S _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ The University of Texas at Austin S
S _/ _/ _/ _/ S
S _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ c.m...@mail.utexas.edu S
S http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~ifcb525 S

Marlowe Dayley

Jul 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/29/96

Raz wrote:

> I was "dusting" my bookshelf, and i ran into a piers anthony novel i
> thought i never had. Its called "Statesman".This is the 5th book in the
> Bio of Space Tyrant series supposedly. Has anyone read this series?

It was a pretty good series. Especially if you like politics. Most of the series seems to be a
political novel by Anthony, just written in a Sci-Fi format. Some of the themes are moot
nowdays - no Soviet Union and very different political environment. However, the immigrant
theme and all fit in well today. Overall it is a decent series. However, not light and humorous
like some of the more popular stuff Anthony wrote.

mjd

Greg Swan

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Marlowe Dayley wrote:

> It was a pretty good series. Especially if you like politics.
> Most of the series seems to be a political novel by Anthony, just
> written in a Sci-Fi format. Some of the themes are moot
> nowdays - no Soviet Union and very different political
> environment. However, the immigrant theme and all fit in well today.
> Overall it is a decent series. However, not light and humorous
> like some of the more popular stuff Anthony wrote.

This thread is very timely for me. I just finished reading the
first book, "Refugee," and came away shaking my head. It seemed like
the story was a series of sexual scenes strung together. Most of the
scenes focused on the rape of mothers and children. There was an
incest scene, a bestiality scene involving a donkey and a scene which
implied the rape (and related death) of a small baby boy. After every
few scenes, one of the characters would remark or think that what
constitutes sexual aberration is situational. E.g., the baby-raper
apparently thought such behavior was normal and so it was . . . for
him. The experience of reading this book reminded me of an earlier
experience reading John Norman's "Gor" novels. After the first 6 or
so, Norman began to publish very long arguments promoting the
submission and slavery of women. I think Norman was an obsessed
fetishist. But it seems to me Anthony is less a fetishist like Norman
and more a very troubled person attempting to rationalize his own
culturally aberant sexual desires or to sort out some past sexual
trauma.

I didn't find "Refugee" an enjoyable or even enlightening read. I've
got the other 4 books in the series sitting on my shelf, but don't want
to take the time to read them if they're similar to "Refugee." I made
the mistake of forging on with the Norman books and would prefer not to
repeat it with "Bio of a Space Tyrant." Any advice from those of you
who have completed the series?

--

Greg Swan | sw...@poboxes.com

Gautam Srikanth

Aug 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/1/96

Excerpts from netnews.alt.fan.piers-anthony: 1-Aug-96 Re: Bio of space
tyrant by Greg Sw...@poboxes.com

> I didn't find "Refugee" an enjoyable or even enlightening read. I've
> got the other 4 books in the series sitting on my shelf, but don't want
> to take the time to read them if they're similar to "Refugee." I made
> the mistake of forging on with the Norman books and would prefer not to
> repeat it with "Bio of a Space Tyrant." Any advice from those of you
> who have completed the series?

I'll agree with you that the sex, throughout the series, was overplayed.
Frankly, I found that the worst part, because it gave the impression
that Piers wrote the series primarily for the salacious aspects and not
for the characters or story. In fact, I enjoyed the series for the most
part.

The second book is excellent. One of my favorite Piers Anthony
characters ever, Lieutenant Repro, is introduced in that book,
_Mercenary_. Piers also handled Hope's series of pirate confrontations
deftly and without ever losing my interest. And while there's the usual
dose of sex, it's not as pronounced as in any of the other books, IMHO.

Overall I really enjoyed the development of Hope's character. Piers
created a tragic hero with a strong dose of humanity, in Hope,
regardless of the fetishist style he used in the creation process. Even
if you decide not to polish off the series, I recommend the second book
highly.

-- Gautam

/--------------------------------------+-----------------------------\
| Gautam Srikanth morp...@cmu.edu | "You see black and white -- |
| www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~morpheus | and I see red!" |
\--------------------------------------+-----------(Rush)------------/

Neil

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

Greg Swan wrote:

> This thread is very timely for me. I just finished reading the
> first book, "Refugee," and came away shaking my head. It seemed like
> the story was a series of sexual scenes strung together. Most of the
> scenes focused on the rape of mothers and children. There was an
> incest scene, a bestiality scene involving a donkey and a scene which
> implied the rape (and related death) of a small baby boy. After every
> few scenes, one of the characters would remark or think that what
> constitutes sexual aberration is situational. E.g., the baby-raper
> apparently thought such behavior was normal and so it was . . . for
> him.

If you thought that was bad, in Mercenary the female pirates rate their
partners by the violence of their sex even though they are the victims
(eg. one of the minor character's wife left him for a more violent man).

You should find Politician OK, though.

I've read Statesman but not Executive yet.
--
Q. How many WebMasters does it take to change a lightbulb?
A. 200 OK

Greg Swan

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

Gautam Srikanth wrote:

> I'll agree with you that the sex, throughout the series, was overplayed.
> Frankly, I found that the worst part, because it gave the impression
> that Piers wrote the series primarily for the salacious aspects and not
> for the characters or story. In fact, I enjoyed the series for the most
> part.
>
> The second book is excellent. One of my favorite Piers Anthony
> characters ever, Lieutenant Repro, is introduced in that book,
> _Mercenary_. Piers also handled Hope's series of pirate confrontations
> deftly and without ever losing my interest. And while there's the usual
> dose of sex, it's not as pronounced as in any of the other books, IMHO.

Based on your sincere and articulate recommendation, I started on the second
book. In it, there are no baby-rapers and no large mammals having sex with
women. Instead, we are treated to a military organization which forces its
members to have sex, a sister who sends secret messages to her brother by
making pornographic videos focused on transvestitism and an officer who,
under the influence of drugs, attempts to rape anyone who runs into him in
the womens' barracks. About 1/3 of the way through the novel, I began to
realize that Anthony was using sex as the primary motivation for all his
characters' actions. For instance, it appears that one woman became a
pirate captain only because she was frigid. Further, characters only join
Hope's team for sex, even -- I would argue -- his sister who has some sort
of incestual attraction to her brother. The only exception appears to be
Lieutenant Repro, a character both you and I like immensely. I can't help
but think I like him only because he's pretty much the only human being in
the series who is granted a motivation other than sex. However, I'm only
at page 200 of the second book, and Anthony has still not revealed exactly
what Repro's motivations are.

I enjoy hero pulp fiction from the 1930's and 1940's (e.g., Doc Savage,
Tarzan) and I think that's what's kept me going with the series. If you
subtract the sex, it seems pretty similar to that genre. Hope has
superhuman powers. For instance, he somehow knows when people are telling
the truth. He always has a "vision" when great danger threatens him, which
Anthony uses as a deus ex machina escape valve allowing him to avoid
worrying about the intricacies of plot and concentrate on the action. The
lead character surrounds himself with a team of ultra-capable assistants who
battle side-by-side with him against the threat of the hour. Although the
character motivations are pretty much hopelessly contrived, you can ignore
that flaw because the action is virtually non-stop. In retrospect, the
books remind me very much of Philip Jose Farmer's "tributes" to the hero
pulps. For instance, in "A Feast Unknown" Farmer uses a thinly disguised
Tarzan as his hero and treats us to such endearing scenes as "Tarzan" having
sex with a leopard.

Anyway, since I haven't read much Piers Anthony since the 70's, I do have a
few questions. Is the "Bio of a Space Tyrant" series pretty much typical of
Anthony's work in the last 10-20 years? That is, do most of his books now
feature characters largely motivated by sex? Also, is the fetishism rampant
in Bio of a Space Tyrant now pretty much par for the course? The Xanth
books sound pretty fun and the Incarnations books sound downright
interesting, but I'd prefer to give a miss to works similar to "Bio."

--

Greg Swan | sw...@poboxes.com

LWeaver801

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

In article <32050A...@primenet.com>, Greg Swan <sw...@primenet.com>
writes:

>in Bio of a Space Tyrant now pretty much par for the course? The Xanth
>books sound pretty fun and the Incarnations books sound downright
>interesting, but I'd prefer to give a miss to works similar to "Bio."

The Xanth series is full of puns, very little sex, and the Incarnation
books are excellent, IMO.

Lorraine

Douglas Holmes

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

> Anyway, since I haven't read much Piers Anthony since the 70's, I do have a
> few questions. Is the "Bio of a Space Tyrant" series pretty much typical of
> Anthony's work in the last 10-20 years? That is, do most of his books now
> feature characters largely motivated by sex? Also, is the fetishism rampant
> in Bio of a Space Tyrant now pretty much par for the course? The Xanth
> books sound pretty fun and the Incarnations books sound downright
> interesting, but I'd prefer to give a miss to works similar to "Bio."

This is the series that almost got me to give up on Piers. It is, in my
opinion, an experiment that failed.

The mode series is unfinished, Xanth the equivalent of Harlequins (light,
predictable), Incarnations, Tarot, Cluster, Battle Circle, Adept are all
good, typical Piers. You take your chances on the singles, Macroscope
excellent, Shade of the Tree poor. I've not sampled Pornucopia, Firefly
since it reflects on issues I've no interest in.
--
Douglas Holmes dho...@insi.mb.ca

scab

Aug 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/8/96

Greg Swan wrote:
> Anyway, since I haven't read much Piers Anthony since the 70's, I do have a
> few questions. Is the "Bio of a Space Tyrant" series pretty much typical of
> Anthony's work in the last 10-20 years? That is, do most of his books now
> feature characters largely motivated by sex? Also, is the fetishism rampant
> in Bio of a Space Tyrant now pretty much par for the course? The Xanth
> books sound pretty fun and the Incarnations books sound downright
> interesting, but I'd prefer to give a miss to works similar to "Bio."

I read the incarnations series and it was really good. There is some sex in
it but, from what you said, it isnt the same "type." The characters in
Incarnations arn't motivated by sex they just really really like it. You'll
find a good amount of sex but its not that disturbing ;)
Scab [mike]
--

Written by Scab [mike ostman]
Visit The Wooden Jello Hompage at http://www.cybercom.net/~scab

Nicholas Llewellyn

Aug 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/10/96

You take your chances on the singles, Macroscope
> excellent, Shade of the Tree poor.
> --Oh, you did NOT call _Shade_ poor! It was perhaps one of his most
riveting novels I've read yet. I don't care if it did follow the basic
horror themes, it was still impossible to quit reading, and therefore an
excellent read.

Bryan Wayne Maiden

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

In Article<320D28...@atl.mindspring.com>, <cyr...@atl.mindspring.com> writes:
> From: Nicholas Llewellyn <cyr...@atl.mindspring.com>
> Newsgroups: alt.fan.piers-anthony
> Subject: Re: Bio of space tyrant
> Date: Sat, 10 Aug 1996 20:26:11 -0400

I just can't resist complimenting you on your excellent taste

BOZZ

Douglas Holmes

Aug 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/13/96

In article <320D28...@atl.mindspring.com>, Nicholas Llewellyn
<cyr...@atl.mindspring.com> wrote:

> You take your chances on the singles, Macroscope
> > excellent, Shade of the Tree poor.
> > --Oh, you did NOT call _Shade_ poor! It was perhaps one of his most
> riveting novels I've read yet. I don't care if it did follow the basic
> horror themes, it was still impossible to quit reading, and therefore an
> excellent read.

I do not enjoy the "horror" themes, hence poor. I was disappointed in the
ending and spent the whole novel trying to figure out what he was getting
at. And his explanation was weak at the end (no spoiler). However, I am
quite ready to agree that some people would enjoy it. Just like I expect
you to agree that, excellent as you found it, there are some of us who
dislike it - without it changing the book in the least.

I've always been an advocate of know your critic's tastes. If you liked
Macrosope, Battle Circle and disliked Shade and Bio, there's a better
chance that we'll agree on the Adept, or Tarot than a random shot of - Is
this one any good?
--
Douglas Holmes dho...@insi.mb.ca

Timothy Bruening

Apr 2, 2017, 5:13:47 PM4/2/17
On Monday, July 29, 1996 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Marlowe Dayley wrote:
> Raz wrote:
> >
> > I was "dusting" my bookshelf, and i ran into a piers anthony novel i
> > thought i never had. Its called "Statesman".This is the 5th book in the
> > Bio of Space Tyrant series supposedly. Has anyone read this series?
>
> It was a pretty good series. Especially if you like politics. Most of the series seems to be a
> political novel by Anthony, just written in a Sci-Fi format. Some of the themes are moot
> nowdays - no Soviet Union and very different political environment. However, the immigrant
> theme and all fit in well today. Overall it is a decent series. However, not light and humorous
> like some of the more popular stuff Anthony wrote.

President Tocsin was fighting tooth an nail to stay in office. This was because there was a database on misdeeds, controlled by President Tocsin. If Hope became President and gained control of the database, many politicians would go to jail. But why can't Tocsin just erase the database in between the election and the Inauguration?