"Leaving users with no recourse will discourage use of the
# system and is a tacit acceptance of unscrupulous government
# - Jim Hickstein - TERADYNE
# "Wiretap subjects must be notified within 30 days after the
# operation is completed. If they are innocent, the government
# buys them new equipment to replace that which was compromised
# (per Lynn McNulty)... Nothing forces agents to 'forget' a key
# and stop using it."
# "Placing all keys in a central location will invite foreign
# intelligence services to either (a) impose similar requirements
# in their own nations, and/or (b) seek access to keys held by
# U.S. escrow agents, through legal or illegal means. American
# business has well-publicized problems with industrial espionage
# by other nations."
# - Michael B. Packer, Managing Director - Bankers Trust Company
o To Safeguard Your Privacy
* "Clinton's Encryption Plan Fits Law and Market"
* Letters to the Editor, Mickey Kantor, U.S. Secretary of Commerce, 10/9/96
* Users may need a "spare key" to recover information that is lost or
* otherwise inaccessible, in much the same way that we give a trusted
* neighbor a spare key to our house...and the U.S. will have that key.
The government says in case you lose you own decryption key,
they will be there to save the day with their LE key. (Key Recovery
has a 'Law Enforcement' key, which is a SECOND key to decrypt the
Without getting into a lot of technical detail, basically,
the LE KEY = Your Key.
So, because they have a separate but equivalent key, they are claiming
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: PGPfreeware 8.1.6
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----