wouldn't it be nice?

Washapenin

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

did you all see the devo tribute album?...the one with the aquabats and
vandals, etc. wouldn't it be cool to see a boingo tribute...i know that not a
huge amount of people know/like boingo outside of l.a. but let's see, there are
at least a couple people who'd do it...weird al, susanna hoffs, sacred reich,
the aquabats, poss. the vandals, can anyone think of who else would be on it?
oh, if kurt cobain wasn't such a wuss maybe him too. i heard he had a boingo
album he played to death. does anyone (not to change the subject) know what
album that was?

Knoll Funke-Bilu

May 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/9/98

I don't know about the Curt Kobain thing, but I agree whole-heartedly about
the tribute album thing.

We *could* do the same thing that was done for the Residents. A certain
record label (Vaccination Records) went out and contacted any and all bands
that might've wanted to do a Residents tribute album, explaining that Vac
Records had no money and couldn't pay for studio time, production, etc.
Some bands didn't want to do it after they heard that, but the ones that
remained (among them were Primus, Cracker, Thinking Fellers Union Local 282)
contributed a beautiful bunch of songs. The album ended up being 76+
minutes long, and there were well-known bands and not-so-well known bands
alike.

If anyone out there reading this has a record company, this could be the
thing to do. You'd probably be surprised at how many bands would be willing
to spend their own money to display their love for Oingo Boingo.

-FunkeBoy

Washapenin wrote in message
<199805092135...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

Matthewstr

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

Red Hot Chili Peppers (Anthony is supposed to be a big Elfman fan) and 311
might be possible.
M.S.

Knoll Funke-Bilu

May 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/10/98

Speaking of 311, the first time I ever heard of 311 (and before anyone else
did, either) was when they opened for Boingo at the end of a tour at the
Greek Theatre in Berkeley. They ended up singing one of the encores with
Boingo (No Spill Blood). Also, towards the end of 311's set, they said
something like, "This has been a lot of fun! Boingo's a real crazy bunch of
guys...they put vodka in my water bottle (awkward pause), but I drank it
anyway." Then the crowd cheered.

-FunkeBoy

Matthewstr wrote in message
<199805102054...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

FanOBoingo

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

>Speaking of 311, the first time I ever heard of 311 (and before anyone else
>did, either) was when they opened for Boingo at the end of a tour at the
>Greek Theatre in Berkeley.

I have a flyer from the Roseland Boingo show that also has 311's name on it. It
must have been from the same time :)
-Matt
http://members.aol.com/fanoboingo
"My Name Is Jimmy, But My Friends Just Call Me 'The Hideous Penquin Boy' "
-T. Burton

Washapenin

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

most of that tour was with 311 wasn't it? that was promoting 311's second
album,grassroots, which wasn't even as popular as their first.(the one w/do you
right on it)
wasn't that the show where they handcuffed one of 311's band members to
johnny's drum kit for a good part of the show???

Knoll Funke-Bilu

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

That wasn't the show I saw. Doesn't sound familiar. I just remember them
making the remark about Boingo putting vodka in 311's water, and then 311
sang No Spill Blood with Boingo.

-FunkeBoy

Washapenin wrote in message
<199805110720...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Holly Tomren

May 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/11/98

Yeah I remember when 311 opened for Boingo at a concert at San Diego
State. THat's the only time out of at least 10 shows I saw that Boingo
ever had an opening act.

Briandarr

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

> THat's the only time out of at least 10 shows I saw that Boingo
>ever had an opening act.

It does seem to have been a rarity, especially in their later years.

This brings up an interesting thread idea I had today. I'm curious- what bands
have been on the same concert bill as Oingo Boingo (or Boingo, or, if such a
thing ever did occur, the Mystic Knights of Oingo Boingo or Clowns of Death)

I've seen as an opener:

311

I've seen as part of a festival:

the Alley Boys
Beck
Green Day
Frente!
the Violent Femmes
James
the Pretenders
Toad the Wet Sprocket
the Rollins Band
the Knack (okay I actually didn't stay to see this apparant joke, but
it did supposedly happen)

I have heard that these groups have played with some incarnation of Boingo,
either as headliners, openers, or as part of a festival:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
the Police
the (English) Beat
the B-52's
Squeeze
the Offspring
Freakwater

Any others out there? Anyone want to contest any of my suggestions? Lets get
a big list going!

TORCH

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

They played with U2 in Hawaii once (I think)
Jeff

On 12 May 1998, Briandarr wrote:

> This brings up an interesting thread idea I had today. I'm curious- what bands
> have been on the same concert bill as Oingo Boingo (or Boingo, or, if such a
> thing ever did occur, the Mystic Knights of Oingo Boingo or Clowns of Death)
>
> I've seen as an opener:
>
> 311
>
> I've seen as part of a festival:

<snip>

> I have heard that these groups have played with some incarnation of Boingo,
> either as headliners, openers, or as part of a festival:
>
> Red Hot Chili Peppers
> the Police
> the (English) Beat
> the B-52's
> Squeeze
> the Offspring
> Freakwater

*******Jeff Roberts Http://www.humboldt.edu/~jpr1*******
****IN ESSENTIALS, UNITY; IN NONESSENTIALS, TOLERANCE****
la
la
al
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la
la

chr...@ccrtc.com

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Briandarr wrote:

> > THat's the only time out of at least 10 shows I saw that Boingo
> >ever had an opening act.
>
> It does seem to have been a rarity, especially in their later years.
>
> This brings up an interesting thread idea I had today. I'm curious- what bands
> have been on the same concert bill as Oingo Boingo (or Boingo, or, if such a
> thing ever did occur, the Mystic Knights of Oingo Boingo or Clowns of Death)

Didn't they do a show with Wall Of Voodoo once?

Barbara & Robert Germany

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Briandarr wrote:

> That's the only time out of at least 10 shows I saw that Boingo

> >ever had an opening act.
>
> It does seem to have been a rarity, especially in their later years.
>
> This brings up an interesting thread idea I had today. I'm curious-
what bands
> have been on the same concert bill as Oingo Boingo (or Boingo, or, if
such a
> thing ever did occur, the Mystic Knights of Oingo Boingo or Clowns of
Death)

I saw Nine Inch Nails open for Boingo way back in '84 at the Longhorn
Ballroom in Dallas.

Barbara

Arnold Oliver

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

i have a skankin pickle album that has a cover of violent love on it.

Eric Bekins

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

chr...@ccrtc.com wrote in message <35582A...@ccrtc.com>...
>Briandarr wrote:
>>
>> > THat's the only time out of at least 10 shows I saw that Boingo

>> >ever had an opening act.
>>
>> It does seem to have been a rarity, especially in their later years.
>>
>> This brings up an interesting thread idea I had today. I'm curious- what
bands
>> have been on the same concert bill as Oingo Boingo (or Boingo, or, if such a
>> thing ever did occur, the Mystic Knights of Oingo Boingo or Clowns of Death)
>

>Didn't they do a show with Wall Of Voodoo once?

I saw Wall of VooDoo open for Boingo new years eve 1986/87 in San Diego.

The Untouchables opened for them new years eve 1985/86 in Long Beach. Anyone
know the Untouchables? They were a pretty cool ska band. I'm kinda happy ska
seems to becoming more popular.

A band called The Bolshoi opened for them in San Bernardino, and got booed off
the stage!

I'm sure there were others, but I can't remember now. How about a list of bands
for which Boingo opened? I remember a friend said he saw Berlin play in the
early 80's, and Boingo opened for them. He said Boingo had a better show! I
think Boingo opened for the Police as well.

-Eric Bekins-

Skypi...@my-dejanews.com

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

I saw XTC with Oingo Boingo at the Whiskey A-Go-Go in Hollywood in 1978 or 79.
Boingo was the opening act for XTC. What a show! Those african drums blew me
away.

Diane

> >> It does seem to have been a rarity, especially in their later years.
> >>
> >> This brings up an interesting thread idea I had today. I'm curious- what
> bands
> >> have been on the same concert bill as Oingo Boingo (or Boingo, or, if

NLYALAD

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

I saw Wall of VooDoo, X, and 311 open for Oingo.

Brian

Jack Baker

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

I saw oingo boingo with the police,talking heads,b-52's english beat and
some other australian band I forget who it was in southern california in
the mid 80's. I also saw FEAR open for oingo boingo in a circus tent in
long beach. I also saw 311 open for Boingo on there last tour. I thought
311 sucked but I do like some of there stuff now I missed the farewell
tour of oingo boingo in Los angeles though.

Skypi...@my-dejanews.com

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

In article <6jcmi8$epi$1...@newsd-162.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
UnPoc...@webtv.net (Jack Baker) wrote:

******
Fear and Oingo Boingo--What a combo! Cool.

> I saw oingo boingo with the police,talking heads,b-52's english beat in

> the mid 80's. I also saw FEAR open for oingo boingo in a circus tent in
> long beach.

Washapenin

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

also food for feet and that band eleven.

Washapenin

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

didn't boingo play in mexico with the bangles and a bunch of other bands?
also, didn't they play with madness??

Skypi...@my-dejanews.com

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

In article <199805132306...@ladder03.news.aol.com>,

washa...@aol.com (Washapenin) wrote:

> didn't boingo play in mexico with the bangles and a bunch of other bands?
> also, didn't they play with madness??
was at a club in Tijana.

Di

elf...@supernews.com

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

Called "Mex Fest" I believe. My brother has a poster or something from
the concert with pics from all the bands. There is a picture somewhere
(not on this poster) of john and john with sombreros on(I think. I can't
remember, but I can see the picture in my head). If I remember correctly,
this pic is from that show.
ben
elf...@supernews.com

elf...@supernews.com

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

I can confirm the fact that o.b. opened for the police ('83?). My mom
went to that show and told me all about it. At the tender age of six, my
mom felt I was too young to go. Oh well, I eventually got my boingo shows
in.
ben
elf...@supernews.com

Lil Hesh

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

yeah... and faith no more/ bungle probably would too.. I know that they already
cover several bungle songs... did cover.
RIP both of them (OB n FNM)
Liz
~ Liz ~

Matthewstr

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

I know that Boingo has opened for U2. I believe there was a band called Sorry
About Your Sister that opened the east coast leg of the 94 tour.
M.S.

DSPToad

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

I saw them play at Cal Poly Pomona back in 1985 and I have a poster from that
show, too. The poster says "with special guest" but I can't for the life of me
remember who it was!!! Also, there was the show with "X" at the Orange
Pavilion in San Bernardino (1987 I think) and didn't they play with U2 in
Hawaii???

"Faceless surgeons armed with razors cut out our imaginations."---D.E.
----->
------->-------->---------->------------>--------------->-----------------
->-------------------------->
Chris

DSPToad

May 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/15/98

oops...wrong thread!!!

bas...@san.rr.com

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

Lil Hesh wrote:

FNM is gone now too? But they just put put a new album!!! What happened? Please
let me know, 'cause all of my favorite bands are dissappearing.

-Jeff

Tom Miller

May 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/16/98

Yes, I saw them In Sac twice, X opened for them at Cal-Expo and 311 opened
for them at some theater downtown that I can't remember the name of. It was
a strange venue to see Boingo at, by the way, more like an opera house (I
was afraid I had entered the wrong building and a bunch of singing and
dancing Cats were going to show up on the stage).

I also know that at least one time when I saw them in Reno they had a really
crappy local band open for them, I think the venue was trying to build up
the concession sales by making everyone want to leave the auditorium before
the main event.

--

- Tom
"It is appalingly clear that our technology has surpassed our humanity."
NLYALAD wrote in message
<199805131748...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

Cary

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

What is on this Ash 73 collection and how do I get it. I don't remember
seeing one post with a track listing.

Thanks
Cary

as...@indy.net

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

Cary wrote:

> What is on this Ash 73 collection and how do I get it. I don't remember
> seeing one post with a track listing.

If anyone wants info, please let me know. I gonna stop doing them at the
end of the month. So, ask now or forever blah, blah, blah (you know the
rest).

Lil Hesh

May 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/17/98

>FNM is gone now too? But they just put put a new album!!! What happened?
>Please
>let me know, 'cause all of my favorite bands are dissappearing.

Here is a copy of press release that is currently going out:

"After 15 long and fruitful years, Faith No More have decided to put an end
to speculation regarding their imminent break up... by breaking up. The
decision among the members is mutual, and there will be no pointing of
fingers, no naming of names, other than stating, for the record, that
"Puffy started it". Furthermore, the split will now enable each member to
pursue his individual project(s) unhindered. Lastly, and most importantly,
the band would like to thank all of those fans and associates that have
stuck with and supported the band throughout it's history. "

I personally would like to thank all of you folks who've done such a
fantastic job in keeping us alive, and growing with us through our changes,
but especially in helping make our band available to people through the
internet, because I'm absolutely convinced that without all of your help we
would have been ignored (especially in the States).

I would appreciate it if someone could please post a copy of this on to
alt.music.faith-no-more.

Seeee ya,
Bill

~ Liz ~

jedgil...@gmail.com

Jan 19, 2015, 1:47:10 PM1/19/15
On Monday, May 11, 1998 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, FanOBoingo wrote:
> >Speaking of 311, the first time I ever heard of 311 (and before anyone else
> >did, either) was when they opened for Boingo at the end of a tour at the
> >Greek Theatre in Berkeley.
>
> I have a flyer from the Roseland Boingo show that also has 311's name on it. It
> must have been from the same time :)
> -Matt
> http://members.aol.com/fanoboingo
> "My Name Is Jimmy, But My Friends Just Call Me 'The Hideous Penquin Boy' "
> -T. Burton

I recognize this is based on a post from almost 20 years ago, but I'm trying to track down a flyer of that Boingo/311 show at the Roseland (presuming you mean Portland, OR?). If you get this and could do me a solid, I will pay you for that flyer or even for a high quality scan/reproduction.

Thanks for considering!