Re: Who is Noam Chomsky

Ross Clark

Jul 16, 2022, 6:42:55 AM7/16/22
On 16/07/2022 7:02 p.m., Steve Hayes wrote:
> About Noam Chomsky
>
> Considered the founder of modern linguistics, Noam Chomsky is one of
> the most cited scholars in modern history. Among his groundbreaking
> books are “Syntactic Structures”, “Language and Mind,” “Aspects of the
> Theory of Syntax,” and “The Minimalist Program,” each of which has
> made distinct contributions to the development of the field. He has
> received numerous awards, including the Kyoto Prize in Basic Sciences,
> the Helmholtz Medal and the Ben Franklin Medal in Computer and
> Cognitive Science.
>
> Chomsky introduced the Chomsky hierarchy, generative grammar and the
> concept of a universal grammar, which underlies all human speech and
> is based in the innate structure of the mind/brain. Chomsky has not
> only transformed the field of linguistics, his work has influenced
> fields such as cognitive science, philosophy, psychology, computer
> science, mathematics, childhood education, and anthropology.
>
> Chomsky is also one of the most influential public intellectuals in
> the world. He has written more than 100 books, his most recent being
> “Requiem for the American Dream: The 10 Principles of Concentration of
> Wealth & Power.”
>
> Chomsky joined the UA in fall 2017, coming from the Massachusetts
> Institute of Technology, where he worked since 1955 and was Institute
> Professor, later Institute Professor emeritus.
> Research Interests
>
> Linguistic Theory, Syntax, Semantics, Philosophy of Language
> Selected Publications
>
> List of Articles (PDF)
> List of Books (PDF)
>
> Source:
> https://linguistics.arizona.edu/user/noam-chomsky

Thanks for this update. I knew he was some years post-retirement at MIT,
but didn't know about Arizona.

From Wiki:
Chomsky retired from MIT in 2002, but continued to conduct research and
seminars on campus as an emeritus.
In 2017, Chomsky taught a short-term politics course at the University
of Arizona in Tucson and was later hired as a part-time professor in the
linguistics department there, with his duties including teaching and
public seminars. His salary is covered by philanthropic donations.

Was this what you wanted to discuss?