Re: Where is the Cache stored?

Message has been deleted

Invalid User

Nov 7, 2004, 6:38:13 AM11/7/04
Once upon a time *蓱拋* wrote:
> I just installed Firefox, and so far it works great. I was hesitant
> to install it, because it says minimum computer power is a Pentium
> 233. This is a P166, so it dont meet the specs. However, I do have
> it overclocked.
>
> Anyhow, I have a "Clear.bat" (batch file) to remove all the junk that
> accumulates on the computer. It removes the IE "temporary internet
> files" and temp folder, and much more. I want to add the Firefox
> cache to it, but where is it? I looked in the "Firefox Help", and
> they do not say. So far this is the only thing about Firefox I dnlt
> like. Most browsers let you choose where the cache is stored. Not
> with Firefox.

I have the Mozilla Suit, but I can't belive it's different from Firefox
in this case (either).

If I go to Preferences > Advanced > Cache, I can se where the cache file
(toxaru5k.slt) is. Default it's in my profile folder, but I can also
choose an other folder if i like to do so.

--
/Arne

Leonidas Jones

Nov 7, 2004, 5:46:28 PM11/7/04

Firefox does not have a Preferences menu, and there is no indication in
Tools>>Options>>Privacy>>Cache as to where the cache folder is. Its in
the profile folder. The path varies according to OS, but in win 98 its:

C:\Windows\Application
Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\(profilename)\xxxxxxxx.slt\Cache

Lee

Ralph Fox

Nov 8, 2004, 3:23:48 AM11/8/04
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 04:16:49 -0600, in message
<d6tro0h5o4ei5657o...@4ax.com>, ߊŠß wrote:

> I just installed Firefox, and so far it works great. I was hesitant
> to install it, because it says minimum computer power is a Pentium
> 233. This is a P166, so it dont meet the specs. However, I do have
> it overclocked.
>
> Anyhow, I have a "Clear.bat" (batch file) to remove all the junk that
> accumulates on the computer. It removes the IE "temporary internet
> files" and temp folder, and much more. I want to add the Firefox
> cache to it, but where is it?

In a sub-directory named "Cache" in your Firefox profile directory.

The location of your Firefox profile directory depends on your
operating system (and in some cases, the operating system version).
For a list, see http://texturizer.net/firefox/edit.html#profile

> I looked in the "Firefox Help", and
> they do not say. So far this is the only thing about Firefox I dnlt
> like. Most browsers let you choose where the cache is stored. Not
> with Firefox.

To choose where your Firefox cache is stored

1. Enter thus URL in the URL bar about:config

2. Look for a line where the "Preference Name" is
"browser.cache.disk.parent_directory".

3. If there is such a line
3.1 Right-click on the line
3.2 Choose "Modify" from the right-click menu
3.3 Change the value [*] to any directory containing
a subdirectory named "Cache".

4. If there is no such line
4.1 Right-click inside the window
4.2 Choose "New -> String" from the right-click menu
4.3 Enter the preference name as "browser.cache.disk.parent_directory"
(without the quotes), and set the value [*] to any directory
containing a subdirectory named "Cache".
Note preference names are case-sensitive.

[*] If your operating system is Windows or Linux, the value is a
straight-forward directory path in plain text. You can
enter this quite easily.

I don't think you are running MacOS, not on a P166.

If you were running MacOS, the value could be a base-64 encoded
block of (partly) binary data. For help knowing what to enter,
see http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021211052821617

--
Cheers,
Ralph

The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it.