Firefox 91: How to get compact bookmarks

Charlie Roberts

Aug 12, 2021, 4:52:44 PM8/12/21

I just got "upgraded" to Firefox 91, and the old fixes
for getting single spaced drop down lists no longer work.

The worst one in the bookmarks drop down menu, where
I now have to do all kinds of scrolling.

Is there any way to fix this horrid mess?

Most "solutions" I looked at today DO NOT work.

tia

pyotr filipivich

Aug 13, 2021, 9:55:55 AM8/13/21
Charlie Roberts <crob...@gmail.com> on Thu, 12 Aug 2021 16:52:37
-0400 typed in alt.fan.mozilla the following:
>I just got "upgraded" to Firefox 91, and the old fixes
>for getting single spaced drop down lists no longer work.
>
>The worst one in the bookmarks drop down menu, where
>I now have to do all kinds of scrolling.
>
>Is there any way to fix this horrid mess?
>
>Most "solutions" I looked at today DO NOT work.

my suggestion is to untick the automatic update. The obsession
with "fixing what ain't broke" and "creeping featureism" is what is
driving people to other browsers. Well, those who care about such.
--
pyotr filipivich
This Week's Panel: Us & Them - Eliminating Them.

Charlie Roberts

Aug 13, 2021, 1:35:41 PM8/13/21
On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 06:55:47 -0700, pyotr filipivich
<ph...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Charlie Roberts <crob...@gmail.com> on Thu, 12 Aug 2021 16:52:37
>-0400 typed in alt.fan.mozilla the following:
>>I just got "upgraded" to Firefox 91, and the old fixes
>>for getting single spaced drop down lists no longer work.
>>
>>The worst one in the bookmarks drop down menu, where
>>I now have to do all kinds of scrolling.
>>
>>Is there any way to fix this horrid mess?
>>
>>Most "solutions" I looked at today DO NOT work.
>
> my suggestion is to untick the automatic update. The obsession
>with "fixing what ain't broke" and "creeping featureism" is what is
>driving people to other browsers. Well, those who care about such.

Maybe the best thing to do! I was seriously thinking about it when
the silly Proton thing came along.

In the end, I did find a fix. I found this wonderful page:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1337841

I set it up as the said, and added the suggested lines in my
userChrome.css file. Putting that in the right place was part of
the key. The lines I now have are

/*** Tighten up drop-down/context/popup menu spacing ***/

menupopup > menuitem, menupopup > menu {
padding-block: 1px !important; /* This controls the vertical
spacing */
}
:root {
--arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 2px 6px !important;

I added that comment about where to really do the fix,
the size of the padding-block.

I am nor sure that the last line does. I changed the pixel
values from what came in the download, but I cannot see
much difference.

But, your adice is well taken and I think that I am headed
that way.

Thanks.

mick

Aug 13, 2021, 3:03:54 PM8/13/21
On 12/08/2021 21:52:37, Charlie Roberts wrote:

> I just got "upgraded" to Firefox 91, and the old fixes
> for getting single spaced drop down lists no longer work.
>
> The worst one in the bookmarks drop down menu, where
> I now have to do all kinds of scrolling.
>
> Is there any way to fix this horrid mess?
>
> Most "solutions" I looked at today DO NOT work.
>
> tia

After searching around and trying many different settings and various
code to reduce the double spacing this code added to the beginning of
the userChrome.css file worked for me. Win10 21H1 Firefox 91.0

menupopup > menuitem, menupopup > menu {
padding-block: 1px !important;
}

root {
--arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 1px 1px !important;
}

--
mick

dillinger

Aug 14, 2021, 7:38:02 AM8/14/21
On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:35:27 -0400, Charlie Roberts wrote:

> The lines I now have are

> /*** Tighten up drop-down/context/popup menu spacing ***/
>
> menupopup > menuitem, menupopup > menu {
> padding-block: 1px !important; /* This controls the vertical
> spacing */
> }
> :root {
> --arrowpanel-menuitem-padding: 2px 6px !important;

You forgot to copy the last "}"

Charlie Roberts

Aug 14, 2021, 11:28:08 AM8/14/21
On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 13:25:09 +0200, dillinger <dill...@invaild.not>
wrote:
Thanks for pointing it out! Just forgot to copy the line.