Re: Is there a way of getting a printout of all of Thunderbird's configuration parameters?

😉 Good Guy 😉

Apr 5, 2021, 9:49:15 AM4/5/21
On 05/04/2021 14:12, Ian Jackson wrote:
I have quite a number of Thunderbird accounts (the primary one being Gmail). The configuration parameters vary from account to account, and I am busy manually compiling a spreadsheet of all the things you need to make things work (server names, user names, port numbers, authentication, passwords etc). This is very laborious (and the alternative of taking loads of screengrabs is equally laborious). I've been looking for one all-embracing configuration file, but I can find one. Is there any way of getting (say) a quick textfile of everything - or at least everything for each account?

This is the best you can do:

[ Image attached for turnips ]

Now the question is how do you get there?

You need to go to:

Help >> Troubleshoot Information.

The second set of info are about Mail and News Accounts.

--

With over 1.2 billion devices now running Windows 10, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

Ian Jackson

Apr 5, 2021, 2:31:17 PM4/5/21
In message <s4f4gq$83d$1...@news.mixmin.net>,
=?UTF-8?B?8J+YiSBHb29kIEd1eSDwn5iJ?= <Hello...@example.com> writes
>On 05/04/2021 14:12, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I have quite a number of Thunderbird accounts (the primary one
> being Gmail). The configuration parameters vary from account to
> account, and I am busy manually compiling a spreadsheet of all
> the things you need to make things work (server names, user
> names, port numbers, authentication, passwords etc). This is very
> laborious (and the alternative of taking loads of screengrabs is
> equally laborious). I've been looking for one all-embracing
> configuration file, but I can find one. Is there any way of getting
> (say) a quick textfile of everything - or at least everything for each
> account?
>This is the best you can do:
>[ Image attached for turnips ]
>Now the question is how do you get there?
>You need to go to:
>Help >> Troubleshoot Information.
>The second set of info are about Mail and News Accounts.

Thanks.

I'd been there, but I found a simple 'highlight, copy and paste') eg to
a Word document or Wordpad) produced a bit of a mess. However, I've now
found that if you select the 'Copy text to clipboard' box instead, then
use Paste Special to allow HTML text, then use landscape and a size 6
font, it's a lot clearer (and should be easier to edit and sort out).
Actually, pasting to Excel also looks promising.

Thanks again.
--
Ian

Ian Jackson

Apr 5, 2021, 3:41:57 PM4/5/21
In message <8SGqTdKo...@brattleho.plus.com>, Ian Jackson
<ianREMOVET...@g3ohx.co.uk> writes
Actually, pasting into Excel works fine. All it needs afterwards is a
bit of sliding around of the cell borders. [Actually, I now realise that
there are other ways of doing all this - and I'm experimenting.]
--
Ian

The Real Bev

Apr 5, 2021, 7:38:27 PM4/5/21
Copying to a simple text file is good enough. Who knew I had 36
accounts? Who even knew about this function?

Hmm. I got the "Unable to save your message as a draft. You can only
send a message to one news server at a time." This post is x-posted to
a.f.moz and the three new alt.comp groups. If this goes through, it's
because I deleted the alt.comp groups...

--
Cheers, Bev
You are more likely to catch swine flu from a