Firefox 95.0.1 (64-bit) increasingly gives errors on websites which other browsers handle correctly

Dudley Brooks

Dec 16, 2021, 5:05:18 PM12/16/21
(I apologize in advance that I didn't save the either the URLs or the
error messages from the following. If necessary, the next time such
errors happen, I *will* save the info.)

I've recently gotten more and more frustrated with "badly designed
websites" which give error messages when I enter data and click Next or
Submit or whatever ... until I discovered that those websites work just
fine in Chrome and in Safari.

I have always preferred to use Firefox and Thunderbird because they are
open-source and non-corporate. But I have had to stop using Firefox ...
my frustration level has just become more than I can take.

Does anyone have any *general* suggestions about what I should try to
look for or change in Firefox to make it work on sites which other
browsers work on? (By "general" I mean "until I have a specific website
to ask about".)

Thanks.

--
Dudley Brooks, Artistic Director
Run For Your Life! ... it's a dance company!

The Real Bev

Dec 16, 2021, 5:56:09 PM12/16/21
On 12/16/2021 02:05 PM, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> (I apologize in advance that I didn't save the either the URLs or the
> error messages from the following. If necessary, the next time such
> errors happen, I *will* save the info.)
>
> I've recently gotten more and more frustrated with "badly designed
> websites" which give error messages when I enter data and click Next or
> Submit or whatever ... until I discovered that those websites work just
> fine in Chrome and in Safari.
>
> I have always preferred to use Firefox and Thunderbird because they are
> open-source and non-corporate. But I have had to stop using Firefox ...
> my frustration level has just become more than I can take.
>
> Does anyone have any *general* suggestions about what I should try to
> look for or change in Firefox to make it work on sites which other
> browsers work on? (By "general" I mean "until I have a specific website
> to ask about".)

I wish!

I am unable to even see the existence of many captchas -- the "pick the
crosswalks' grids -- even with the virgin nightly FF. I click SUBMIT
and nothing happens. Sometimes the page clears itself and I have to
re-enter the data. Never a problem with Chrome. Firefox also seems to
want SOME codec that I don't have in order to see videos on Facebook and
many news sites. Again, no problem with chrome.

I've started to use Chrome for anything that I think might want some
sort of authentication that FF stumbles on. I hate it, but there it is.

--
Ch rs, B v
My f ck ng k yb rd h s l st ts v w ls.

😉 Good Guy 😉

Dec 16, 2021, 6:25:10 PM12/16/21
On 16/12/2021 22:05, Dudley Brooks wrote:

Does anyone have any *general* suggestions about what I should try to look for or change in Firefox to make it work on sites which other browsers work on? (By "general" I mean "until I have a specific website to ask about".)

Restart using Add-Ons Disabled.

All the problems people face are because of Add-Ons messing around with Firefox's defaults. Defaults are there for a reason and the main reason is that it has been tested by users in the wild before it was released. then comes users like yourself who will start installing Add-Ons because somebody advised you to use them to enrich your life. The result is what you are currently facing!.

--

With over 1.3 billion devices now running Windows 10/11, customer satisfaction is higher than any previous version of windows.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Dec 16, 2021, 8:24:40 PM12/16/21
On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 at 14:56:07, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
[]
>I wish!
>
>I am unable to even see the existence of many captchas -- the "pick the
>crosswalks' grids -- even with the virgin nightly FF. I click SUBMIT
>and nothing happens. Sometimes the page clears itself and I have to
>re-enter the data. Never a problem with Chrome. Firefox also seems to
>want SOME codec that I don't have in order to see videos on Facebook
>and many news sites. Again, no problem with chrome.
>
>I've started to use Chrome for anything that I think might want some
>sort of authentication that FF stumbles on. I hate it, but there it is.

Exactly the same here, except I'm using a much older version of FF. As
you say, often the Captcha (or whatever) doesn't even appear.
>--
>Ch rs, B v
> My f ck ng k yb rd h s l st ts v w ls.

Love it!

... and how lovely, warm, funny, and just all-round Victoria Woodish she was.
- Richard Osman on Victoria Wood, RT 2017/4/8-14

The Real Bev

Dec 17, 2021, 12:28:07 AM12/17/21
On 12/16/2021 05:21 PM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 at 14:56:07, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
> wrote (my responses usually follow points raised):
> []
>>I wish!
>>
>>I am unable to even see the existence of many captchas -- the "pick the
>>crosswalks' grids -- even with the virgin nightly FF. I click SUBMIT
>>and nothing happens. Sometimes the page clears itself and I have to
>>re-enter the data. Never a problem with Chrome. Firefox also seems to
>>want SOME codec that I don't have in order to see videos on Facebook
>>and many news sites. Again, no problem with chrome.

It would be nice to know what it wants, but the bastard won't tell me.
Different sites give different error messages, so I'm not even sure that
that's the problem.

>>I've started to use Chrome for anything that I think might want some
>>sort of authentication that FF stumbles on. I hate it, but there it is.
>>
> Exactly the same here, except I'm using a much older version of FF. As
> you say, often the Captcha (or whatever) doesn't even appear.

I'm using 82, but every once in a while I update and run the nightly.
with an approximation of my profile -- I copied it over a couple of
months ago and have made changes to it since then. Mainly the theme so
that I instantly know which version I'm using.
>>--
>>Ch rs, B v
>> My f ck ng k yb rd h s l st ts v w ls.
>
> Love it!

:-)

--
Cheers, Bev
If you're ever about to be mugged by a couple

Jeff Layman

Dec 17, 2021, 3:21:14 AM12/17/21
On 16/12/2021 22:05, Dudley Brooks wrote:
> (I apologize in advance that I didn't save the either the URLs or the
> error messages from the following. If necessary, the next time such
> errors happen, I *will* save the info.)
>
> I've recently gotten more and more frustrated with "badly designed
> websites" which give error messages when I enter data and click Next or
> Submit or whatever ... until I discovered that those websites work just
> fine in Chrome and in Safari.
>
> I have always preferred to use Firefox and Thunderbird because they are
> open-source and non-corporate. But I have had to stop using Firefox ...
> my frustration level has just become more than I can take.
>
> Does anyone have any *general* suggestions about what I should try to
> look for or change in Firefox to make it work on sites which other
> browsers work on? (By "general" I mean "until I have a specific website
> to ask about".)
>
> Thanks.

It's not just FF. My default browser is Pale Moon. In contrast to what
you've found there are websites where the Captchas don't work with PM.
You can go through endless photos but never get to the next stage, but
those websites' Captchas invariably work with FF.

One other way out is to use the sound version of the Captcha. I guess
that's meant for those with poor eyesight. I've often found the words
spoken to be unclear, but typing almost anything into the box gets you
past the Captcha!

--

Jeff

Dudley Brooks

Dec 19, 2021, 3:54:10 AM12/19/21
Well, I'm strangely glad to know that it's not just me ... because now I
guess I don't have to find and fix whatever is specifically wrong on
*my* system!

The Real Bev

Dec 19, 2021, 5:11:57 PM12/19/21
And now the nightlies won't run at all -- detailed in
alt.comp.software.firefox if you're interested.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I used to be convinced that MicroSquish shipped crap because they

Dudley Brooks

Dec 21, 2021, 3:50:21 AM12/21/21
Thanks. Unfortunately, I get my newsgroups through
news.eternal-september.org ... which doesn't seem to carry those groups.

Wilf

Dec 21, 2021, 4:42:24 AM12/21/21
On 21/12/2021 at 08:50, Dudley Brooks wrote:
>> And now the nightlies won't run at all -- detailed in
>> alt.comp.software.firefox if you're interested.

> Thanks. Unfortunately, I get my newsgroups through
> news.eternal-september.org ... which doesn't seem to carry those groups.

I use eternal-september and alt.comp.software.firefox is carried.

--
Wilf

Dudley Brooks

Dec 21, 2021, 2:24:38 PM12/21/21
It's not showing up for me.

I don't know whether the fact that I do newsgroups using Thunderbird has
anything to do with it. I don't know why it should.

At any rate, when I'm in news.eternal-september.org and click on Manage
Newsgroup Subscriptions it's not listed, and doesn't show up when I
search on it.

What do you use to access newsgroups ... just in case that does make a
difference?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Dec 21, 2021, 5:33:42 PM12/21/21
On Tue, 21 Dec 2021 at 11:24:36, Dudley Brooks
<dbr...@runforyourlife.org> wrote (my responses usually follow points
raised):

>>> Thanks.  Unfortunately, I get my newsgroups through
>>> news.eternal-september.org ... which doesn't seem to carry those groups.
>> I use eternal-september and alt.comp.software.firefox is carried.
>
>It's not showing up for me.
>
>I don't know whether the fact that I do newsgroups using Thunderbird
>has anything to do with it. I don't know why it should.
>
>At any rate, when I'm in news.eternal-september.org and click on Manage
>Newsgroup Subscriptions it's not listed, and doesn't show up when I
>search on it.
>
>What do you use to access newsgroups ... just in case that does make a
>difference?

You probably need to trigger Thunderbird to ask for a new list of
newsgroups. I remember when e-s added the new firefox and thunderbird
'groups, there were a lot of people saying they couldn't see them -
apparently lots more newsreaders than one might have expected don't
automatically occasionally ask the server for a new list of what are
available, but have to be prodded.

Radio 4 is the civilising influence in this country ... I think it is the most
important institution in this country. - John Humphrys, Radio Times
7-13/06/2003

Dudley Brooks

Dec 21, 2021, 7:22:59 PM12/21/21
Ah! That was it! One of the easiest fixes I've ever seen! THANKS!!!

The Real Bev

Dec 22, 2021, 5:53:09 PM12/22/21
Yes it does. I post to those groups with E-S.

--
Cheers, Bev
If you have one lawyer in town, he goes hungry.

The Real Bev

Dec 22, 2021, 5:55:11 PM12/22/21
On 12/21/2021 11:24 AM, Dudley Brooks wrote:

>>> Thanks. Unfortunately, I get my newsgroups through
>>> news.eternal-september.org ... which doesn't seem to carry those groups.
>>
>> I use eternal-september and alt.comp.software.firefox is carried.
>
> It's not showing up for me.
>
> I don't know whether the fact that I do newsgroups using Thunderbird has
> anything to do with it. I don't know why it should.

I use Thunderbird 38 for linux.

> At any rate, when I'm in news.eternal-september.org and click on Manage
> Newsgroup Subscriptions it's not listed, and doesn't show up when I
> search on it.

How many newsgroups TOTAL do you have available?

Dudley Brooks

Dec 23, 2021, 3:15:40 AM12/23/21
On 12/22/21 2:54 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 12/21/2021 11:24 AM, Dudley Brooks wrote:

>>> I use eternal-september and alt.comp.software.firefox is carried.
>>
>> It's not showing up for me.
>>
>> I don't know whether the fact that I do newsgroups using Thunderbird has
>> anything to do with it.  I don't know why it should.
>
> I use Thunderbird 38 for linux.
>
>> At any rate, when I'm in news.eternal-september.org and click on Manage
>> Newsgroup Subscriptions it's not listed, and doesn't show up when I
>> search on it.
>
> How many newsgroups TOTAL do you have available?
>
>> What do you use to access newsgroups ... just in case that does make a
>> difference?

See J.P. Gilliver (John)'s comment in another branch of this thread in
which he points out that I needed to trigger Thunderbird to ask for a
new list of newsgroups. That worked!

Dudley Brooks

Dec 23, 2021, 3:16:41 AM12/23/21
See J.P. Gilliver (John)'s comment in another branch of this thread in
which he points out that I needed to trigger Thunderbird to ask for a
new list of newsgroups. That worked!

Ralph Fox

Dec 23, 2021, 9:56:45 PM12/23/21
On Thu, 16 Dec 2021 14:05:14 -0800, Dudley Brooks wrote:

> (I apologize in advance that I didn't save the either the URLs or the
> error messages from the following. If necessary, the next time such
> errors happen, I *will* save the info.)

It is now a whole week since your post. Have you seen and saved any
error messages and URLs during this week?

> I've recently gotten more and more frustrated with "badly designed
> websites" which give error messages when I enter data and click Next or
> Submit or whatever ... until I discovered that those websites work just
> fine in Chrome and in Safari.
>
> I have always preferred to use Firefox and Thunderbird because they are
> open-source and non-corporate. But I have had to stop using Firefox ...
> my frustration level has just become more than I can take.
>
> Does anyone have any *general* suggestions about what I should try to
> look for or change in Firefox to make it work on sites which other
> browsers work on? (By "general" I mean "until I have a specific website
> to ask about".)

The only error I had seen in a long while was like this, on some Microsoft
websites. This error was fixed in Firefox 95.0.1, the version in your subject
line, but did occur with the previous version 95.0.

Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_OCSP_RESPONSE_FOR_CERT_MISSING

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the
authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

--
Kind regards
Ralph