"Leave that Welsh tart alone"

Julian the Apostate

May 27, 2001, 10:46:35 AM5/27/01
This line, from "Life of Brian", has always puzzled me. What is the
significance/meaning of it?

Erik D Larsen

Jun 8, 2001, 6:10:54 PM6/8/01
In article <pn42ht04dnv0lu5rl...@4ax.com>, Julian the
Apostate <pyrr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> This line, from "Life of Brian", has always puzzled me. What is the
> significance/meaning of it?

Perhaps a reference to the actress' name, Sue Jones-Davis. ISTM that as
far as names go, you can't get much more Welsh than "Jones-Davis," look
you.

- Erik "Not the Comic Book Artist" Larsen
Founder, etc.,
Carol Cleveland Appreciation & Jockstrap-Throwing Society

aka invest in Malden

Stacie Yates

Jun 11, 2001, 2:40:01 PM6/11/01
lars...@mindspring.com (Erik D Larsen) wrote in message news:<larsen525-080...@pool-63.49.215.151.troy.grid.net>...

Makes as much sense as anything...I always wondered too if it wasn't a
bit of an in-joke about Terry Jones and his nationality...he is, after
all, Welsh, and he's the one who says the line. Some Brits can be a
bit snooty about the Welsh, from what I gather. You know, the "you
are from this part of the country/are part of this ethnic group so
therefore you must be somehow inferior" frame of mind. I can't
remember many "pick on the Welsh" jokes, but there were a few. There
was something similar in one of the sketches or on one of the records
where a character said the Welsh were "argumentative little blighters"
or something to that effect. Wish I could remember which one, just
now.

I tend to think of it sort of like an English "New Yorker" joke, or
maybe a "redneck" joke.

Miss Yetigoosecreature aka Ms. Jones-Davis-Jones-Jones the Third

Elly Compton

Jun 11, 2001, 6:43:57 PM6/11/01

"Erik D Larsen" <lars...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> In article <pn42ht04dnv0lu5rl...@4ax.com>, Julian the
> Apostate <pyrr...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> > This line, from "Life of Brian", has always puzzled me. What is the
> > significance/meaning of it?
>
> Perhaps a reference to the actress' name, Sue Jones-Davis. ISTM that as
> far as names go, you can't get much more Welsh than "Jones-Davis," look
> you.

The character also speaks with a slight Welsh accent...

:-)

Ivan the cheesemaker

Jun 12, 2001, 8:58:43 PM6/12/01
Elly Compton wrote:

> > > This line, from "Life of Brian", has always puzzled
> > > me. What is the significance/meaning of it?
> > Perhaps a reference to the actress' name,
> > Sue Jones-Davis. ISTM that as far as names go, you
> > can't get much more Welsh than "Jones-Davis," look you.

Well Julius Caeser stomped into Blighty for some
cheese in 55BC. He thought it was so runny he
went back for some more a year later, 54BC.

And that was it from the Woman Empire until
Claudius invaded with four legions in 43 AD ...

So when Bwian's mother walks in and says,
"Leave that Welsh tart alone!" doesn't really
hold as what would mean the Welsh being in
Judea in 33AD ... there's no slate, coal or
sheep ... well not many ... so they wouldn't
really be there unless terrorising the locals with
their close choral harmony choirs ...

And also in the arena when Bwian is going
around offering some Woman wubbish, one
of the snackettes is oscelot spleens ... well,
an ocelot is a cat native to central America
like a small leopard and ocelot derives from
a native dialect ... Those pesky Womans got
everywhere ...

Just thought I'd post as it's been a while
(about seven years) since the infamous
Confuse A Cat thread I once started in '94 ...

Wolf nipple chips they're lovelly, get them
whilst they're hot ...

konrad

Analda Anglin

Jun 14, 2001, 6:52:13 PM6/14/01
>Just thought I'd post as it's been a while
>(about seven years) since the infamous
>Confuse A Cat thread I once started in '94 ...

Oh dear. And just when I'd finally gotten unconfused.

Analda aka Trilling lightly through the ocelot field
ana...@hiwaay.net

Mario de Vries

Jun 14, 2001, 9:37:13 AM6/14/01
Ivan the cheesemaker <k...@enterprise.net> wrote:

> Just thought I'd post as it's been a while
> (about seven years) since the infamous
> Confuse A Cat thread I once started in '94 ...

You had a cat in need to be confused? ;-)

M.
--
The confusion of a staff member is measured by the length of his memos.
-- New York Times, Jan. 20, 1981

Ivan the Shrubber

Jun 16, 2001, 8:52:02 AM6/16/01
Mario de Vries wrote:

> You had a cat in need to be confused? ;-)

Yes, it has huge sharp pointy teeth ...
The old addage of cats land feet first and
bread falls butter side down ... so butter a
cat's back, throw it in the air and see which
way it falls ... one confused cat

Analda Anglin

Jun 22, 2001, 10:04:27 PM6/22/01
> ... so butter a
>cat's back, throw it in the air and see which
>way it falls ... one confused cat

NOOOOO! Clarity clearning, muddledness moseying in, alitteration a
little loopy...

Analda aka And now I hold up that famous sign that says "Sarcasm"
ana...@hiwaay.net

mick

Jun 28, 2001, 2:28:46 PM6/28/01
She had a bit of a Welsh accent as well.

Which bit you may well ask! (I did ask it well!)

This bit:

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch!

(That's easy for you to say!)

steve...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2020, 2:28:47 PM1/31/20
On Sunday, May 27, 2001 at 3:46:35 PM UTC+1, Julian the Apostate wrote:
> This line, from "Life of Brian", has always puzzled me. What is the
> significance/meaning of it?

The actress who played the character used her own (Welsh) accent - presumably a directoral decision to enhance the comedy value. Anyone from the British Isles would recognise the accent immediately but presumably the Yanks can't tell it from Geordie, or Brummie, or even Scouse, given how famously ignorant and disinterested they are concerning anything outside their own borders (and there;s no oil in Wales)..

R. Daneel Olivaw

Jan 31, 2020, 4:07:46 PM1/31/20
On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 11:28:45 -0800 (PST), steve...@gmail.com wrote:

>The actress who played the character used her own (Welsh) accent -

You do realize you're replying to a post from 2001?

Richard Miles

Jan 31, 2020, 7:38:14 PM1/31/20
+ User FidoNet address: 1:3634/24
On 31 Jan 2020, R. Daneel Olivaw said the following...

RD> You do realize you're replying to a post from 2001?

Heh. Nothing wrong with that. Hard to keep things in context though I guess.

-=>Richard Miles<=-
-=>Captain Obvious<=-
-=>bbs.shadowscope.com<=-
+ The FidoNet News Gate (Huntsville, AL - USA) +
+ The views of this user are strictly his or her own. +