Fierce Creatures Alternative Ending?

Redbeard

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

Does anybody know the truth to the rumor about a different ending to
Fierce Creatures?

The original ending was supposedly not well received by test audiences
and the new ending was reshot at the cost of $10 Million by Fred
Schepsi.

If true, what was the orinigal ending? Does anybody out there know it
or knows someone who sayw it? Please post it here!

Ed or Nik Bell

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

I can't do much more than confirm this. I saw a thing on HBO's
Entertainment News in which they interviewed Cleese, Palin,
Curtis, and Klein. Cleese et al. stated that the original ending
didn't get a very good response from test audiences and that,
as a result, it was redone with the zaney ending it now has.

I'd like to see what they originally did, too, but I doubt that
we'll ever have the opportunity. I believe it was only shown
in England.

Ed

--
Ed & Nik Bell
be...@clark.net

Fred Coppersmith

Feb 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/6/97

In article <5dbrrs$q...@camel1.mindspring.com>, rob8...@pipeline.com wrote:
>Does anybody know the truth to the rumor about a different ending to
>Fierce Creatures?
>The original ending was supposedly not well received by test audiences
>and the new ending was reshot at the cost of $10 Million by Fred
>Schepsi.
>If true, what was the orinigal ending? Does anybody out there know it
>or knows someone who sayw it? Please post it here!

The original ending, shown to American test audiences (who didn't like it --
much the same as with Wanda), involved (and this is according to Entertainment
Weekly, who also included quotes from the cast) one of Kevin Kline's character
flashing his manhood at a tiger and then both Kline characters being gored to
death by rhinos. Hope that helps.

Ruediger Landmann

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Redbeard (rob8...@pipeline.com) wrote:

: Does anybody know the truth to the rumor about a different ending to
: Fierce Creatures?

Michael Palin confirmed it in an Australian radio interview.

: If true, what was the orinigal ending? Does anybody out there know it

: or knows someone who sayw it? Please post it here!

No idea.

Graham

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Ed or Nik Bell wrote:

> In article <5dbrrs$q...@camel1.mindspring.com>, rob8...@pipeline.com wrote:
>
> > Does anybody know the truth to the rumor about a different ending to
> > Fierce Creatures?
> >
> > The original ending was supposedly not well received by test audiences
> > and the new ending was reshot at the cost of $10 Million by Fred
> > Schepsi.
> >
> > If true, what was the orinigal ending? Does anybody out there know it
> > or knows someone who sayw it? Please post it here!
>
> I can't do much more than confirm this. I saw a thing on HBO's
> Entertainment News in which they interviewed Cleese, Palin,
> Curtis, and Klein. Cleese et al. stated that the original ending
> didn't get a very good response from test audiences and that,
> as a result, it was redone with the zaney ending it now has.
>
> I'd like to see what they originally did, too, but I doubt that
> we'll ever have the opportunity. I believe it was only shown
> in England.
>
> Ed
>
> --
> Ed & Nik Bell
> be...@clark.net
> http://www.clark.net/pub/bell/home.html
> http://www.clark.net/pub/bell/review/book_review.shtml (Ed's Internet Book Review)

In the original ending of Fierce Creatures, the character that Kevin
played was killed and the test audience didn't like that.

Graham

shir...@aol.com

Feb 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/7/97

Graham <ghay...@pine.shu.ac.uk> writes:

>In the original ending of Fierce Creatures, the character that Kevin
>played was killed and the test audience didn't like that.
>
>Graham

But the one of the characters Kline plays is killed anyway. I was
speculating that maybe the lemur (or whatever that fuzzy creature with the
gun was towards then end) killed Kline as the son in the original ending
(after Kline as the father was already dead). But that's just a guess.

--stephanie

----
http://members.aol.com/shiraleah/poison.html

and the quote for the month of February:
"Assassination is the extreme form of
censorship." -- George Bernard Shaw

Julie F. Barman

Feb 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/9/97
to Redbeard

On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Redbeard wrote:

> Does anybody know the truth to the rumor about a different ending to
> Fierce Creatures?
>
> The original ending was supposedly not well received by test audiences
> and the new ending was reshot at the cost of $10 Million by Fred
> Schepsi.
>
> If true, what was the orinigal ending? Does anybody out there know it
> or knows someone who sayw it? Please post it here!

I posted this on a different thread, but I'll put it here, too:

According to an article I read, the original ending involved both of
Kevin Kline's characters getting gored to death by rhinoes. After poor
audience response, Cleese changed the ending, so that

WARNING: SPOILER COMING! WARNING: SPOILER COMING! WARNING: SPOILER COMING!

only the elder Kline character dies. Kinda reminiscent of A Fish Called
Wanda, where the ending was changed to ressurrect Otto, ain't it?

Julie :-)

Julie's Cinematic Slip-Ups page!

www.geocities.com/hollywood/2549/slips.html

Send in your slip-ups!