a found portrait

james...@my-deja.com

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
I found this on a microcasette from one of the San francisco shows last
year...it's a portrait of our very own Larrybob:
Nick: you can use this opportunity to present an avatar to the world, you
are already presenting yourself as a sort of Edwardian country Gentalman
( it was probably the floppy silk bow tie) (laugh). I’m presenting an
avatar of kind of an extrateresterial Peruvian (laugh). So Larrybob what
do you do for a living?
Larrybob:I’ m a computer programmer
N: Ah... and you dress like that when you program?
LB:No, causally
N:I think it would be good..a good gesture this. So, if you had to tell
people one piece of wisdom you’ve learnt from your computer programming,
what would you say?
LB:Never right original code, only copy it (laugh)
N: Can you tell me as an expert, is it true that 1970 in the language of
Unix is called The Epoch?
LB: Well yeah I think that’s the year zero
N: The year zero, that’s really fascinated me because we’re in this
electronic age and the year zero for the computer is 1970, and we are
having to teach the computers every piece of human culture that existed
before 1970. Whether that’s Wendy Carlos doing Bach, or whether its’
people like Plone now making retro-futuristic..anyway that’s me...So do
you program in Unix?
LB:Well I program in C++i, and windows
Nick: Windows? Ah.. (boos)
LB: I’ve only ever known Apple computers my self (cheers)
N:I almost bought an i Book today, but they didn't have it in my color,
it didn't match my eyes...So ah, I would really like to make a song about
the relationship between Unix and unicorns..How would you program a
unicorn?
LB: how would I program a unicorn? Well I would need a virgin to help me.
N: A horn and a Virgin..something horny, something is really
coming..(laugh) I find lust is a great song writing tool..is there a
virgin in the house? Would you like to be a token virgin? OK, is there
a unicorn in the house? OK you be the token unicorn and you be the
token virgin..,(picks up the fake guitar starts to arpeggiate a
diminsihed chord..)
”I was programmed one day with my friend, and i knew something strange
was happening
when he turned to me and said “I see a horn on the screen”
I was programming in the usual way..it was just past three o’clock, rain
began to fall lightly on my window pane, when suddenly a Unicorn entered
the room a little early, usually it comes at four...my name is Larry
Bob, I work in windows, I look out windows at the rain, it falls on
windows Bill Gates is arraigned, and I hope they sentence him to twenty
years of boredom, or maybe that’s nothing to what he sentenced me to,
with his bloody workstations and his bloody windows NT, did he ever see a
unicorn like me?"

(hope you don’t mind LarryB :-))

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Robin Carmody

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
James:

> I found this on a microcasette from one of the San francisco shows last
> year...it's a portrait of our very own Larrybob:

This is brilliant.

> N: A horn and a Virgin..something horny, something is really
> coming..(laugh) I find lust is a great song writing tool..is there a
> virgin in the house? Would you like to be a token virgin? OK, is there
> a unicorn in the house? OK you be the token unicorn and you be the
> token virgin..,(picks up the fake guitar starts to arpeggiate a
> diminsihed chord..)
> "I was programmed one day with my friend, and i knew something strange
> was happening
> when he turned to me and said "I see a horn on the screen"
> I was programming in the usual way..it was just past three o'clock, rain
> began to fall lightly on my window pane, when suddenly a Unicorn entered
> the room a little early, usually it comes at four...my name is Larry
> Bob, I work in windows, I look out windows at the rain, it falls on
> windows Bill Gates is arraigned, and I hope they sentence him to twenty
> years of boredom, or maybe that's nothing to what he sentenced me to,
> with his bloody workstations and his bloody windows NT, did he ever see a
> unicorn like me?"
>
> (hope you don't mind LarryB :-))

This is utter genius. Thanks for sharing it with us ...

Robin
--------
np: Xenophobe, "161131"