flossing in the living room!

guz...@hotmail.com

Jan 28, 2008, 10:58:28 PM1/28/08
I have an urgent question, my relationship depends on it. My partner
and I have a huge disagreement on the issue of flossing in the living
room. For one of us, it is absolutely no problem, for the other it is
so repugnant as to cause 'divorce' (we aren't legally married). Can I
have an informal vote from you folks as to where do you place this
activity of flossing in the living room (or anywhere else other than
bathroom, and in the presence of your partner/spouse) on a scale 1 to
10? 1 being absolutely no problem and 10 being divorce! A sample size
of about 30 shall do the trick. We are both willing to change
depending on the results. I have deliberately not stated which one of
us is in which camp. If you want to provide a detailed response (with
or without reference), please do so.

TIA,

Serene

Jan 28, 2008, 11:14:26 PM1/28/08
guz...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I have an urgent question, my relationship depends on it. My partner
> and I have a huge disagreement on the issue of flossing in the living
> room. For one of us, it is absolutely no problem, for the other it is
> so repugnant as to cause 'divorce' (we aren't legally married). Can I
> have an informal vote from you folks as to where do you place this
> activity of flossing in the living room (or anywhere else other than
> bathroom, and in the presence of your partner/spouse) on a scale 1 to
> 10? 1 being absolutely no problem and 10 being divorce!

I wouldn't divorce someone over it, but I wouldn't stand for it,
either. I would say that they need to go in the bathroom because
that's where one does one's oral hygiene, and I find them really
unattractive when they insist on doing their oral hygiene in my
presence.

Serene

ZedBanty

Jan 28, 2008, 11:21:56 PM1/28/08
In article <6eba1148-5280-41b5...@s8g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
guz...@hotmail.com says...

I recall my first week in a women's dorm, being absolutely amazed at the ladies
that would walk around chatting while brushing their teeth. People do seem to
vary widely about this sort of thing.

I don't know if this is even an etiquette issue really. It's one of negotiation
of particulars between intimates. It strikes me that for one partner to move
the activity to the bathroom is an easier solution than for the other to become
accustomed to the sight of it. In general, a move toward accomodation bodes
better for the relationship than a stand asking toleration of something so
easily corrected.

Zed

Miss Elaine Eos

Jan 29, 2008, 1:10:11 AM1/29/08
In article <607nh9F...@mid.individual.net>,
Serene <ser...@serenepages.org> wrote:

I agree. And while I wouldn't divorce someone over it, that's only
because I wouldn't "get married" (or moral equivalent) to someone who
did it.

I might point out that it is also a health issue -- it is difficult
(impossible?) to floss correctly without some amount of "flinging", and
that's just plain unsanitary. I would categorise it along with sneezing
without covering your mouth, which I believe is also an etiquette breech.

And, while I sometimes use a toothpick in the common areas of my home,
(a) I do so with my mouth closed -- if I need to "really get in there",
I retire to the bathroom and (b) I refrain if others are around.

--
Please take off your pants or I won't read your e-mail.
I will not, no matter how "good" the deal, patronise any business which sends

Userb3

Jan 29, 2008, 11:13:01 AM1/29/08
If your relationship is shaky enough for this to be a major issue, then
maybe you should do yourselves a favor and move on.

--
Let the Religious Right Form Their Own Party!
http://www.gopchoice.org/

ZedBanty

Jan 29, 2008, 2:12:21 PM1/29/08
In article <Xns9A3467EC3C4...@207.14.116.130>, Userb3 says...

>If your relationship is shaky enough for this to be a major issue, then
>maybe you should do yourselves a favor and move on.

Well, you may be right. But when folks point to a minor issue like this, it's
usually that they're representative of larger issues; just this is the
particular hill a partner decided to die on.

Straws, camels, backs, you know.

Zed

Puester

Jan 29, 2008, 7:56:50 PM1/29/08

IMO, flossing should be a private experience like ear cleaning,
genital scratching, and other hygiene/maintenance practices.
It is not attractive to watch and no one should require that
someone
else be privy to a sight that grosses him/her out.

gloria p

Miss Elaine Eos

Jan 30, 2008, 12:59:43 AM1/30/08
In article <fnntq...@drn.newsguy.com>,
ZedBanty <ZedBant...@newsguy.com> wrote:

I know a couple who's "secret to a happy marriage" is "sweat the little
stuff." Their philosophy is: if they're so busy bickering about little
nits all the time, they'll never notice -- and, hence, never bee
bothered by -- the Really Big Problems.

Odd as it sounds, they seem to be making it work, so far.

(I do NOT recommend this system for others -- just offering it as an
entertaining anecdote.)

honeybunch

Jan 31, 2008, 11:23:20 PM1/31/08

Flossing the teeth is a bit disgusting because the material that is
dislodged is smelly and repugnant so its best done in private,
followed by a good rinsing of the teeth with water and mouthwash
before any kissing occurs. But of course, what happens behind closed
doors is anyone's guess. People fart, spit on the floor and walk
around naked and do things to make themselves comfy even though they
repulse anyone else in the room. Perhaps there is a good reason you
refuse to be separated from the person who does these things. There
could be religious reasons or whatever. So you have to put up with
this. How about buying a Water Pic. Its a good alternative to
constant flossing. Maybe an electric toothbrush would help. Does
this person floss at the table when you have dinner guests? That's a
tough one. You could pass out flossing sticks as well as the usual
toothpicks and just act as though it doesn't matter. Don't look
anyone in the eye when you do this and don't say anything. Constant
flossing may just be a passing fad and won't continue throughout the
life of this person. If not, perhaps your partner has a disease even
cancer and has been told by the doctor to immediately floss after
eating anything at all or the cancer could take over. You can't
tell.

cast...@googlemail.com

Feb 1, 2008, 1:35:14 AM2/1/08

thanks all, it has been extremely helpful. we have both read your e-
mails and have agreed to follow the majority opinion. a move to floss
in the bathroom has been agreed by one of us, thanks to your input.

ZedBanty

Feb 2, 2008, 9:20:37 AM2/2/08
In article <6682be89-e1bc-4a7b...@h11g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
cast...@googlemail.com says...

It would also be good to consider where else similar principles apply, as you
negotiate this relationship.

Good luck,

Zed

mm

Feb 6, 2008, 12:51:33 AM2/6/08
On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 22:10:11 -0800, Miss Elaine Eos
<Mi...@your-pants.PlayNaked.com> wrote:

>In article <607nh9F...@mid.individual.net>,
> Serene <ser...@serenepages.org> wrote:
>
>> guz...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> > I have an urgent question, my relationship depends on it. My partner

I read the rest of your post, and I think if you were partners, you
wouldn't be fighting about this. I think you are anti-partners.

>> > and I have a huge disagreement on the issue of flossing in the living
>> > room. For one of us, it is absolutely no problem, for the other it is
>> > so repugnant as to cause 'divorce' (we aren't legally married). Can I
>> > have an informal vote from you folks as to where do you place this
>> > activity of flossing in the living room (or anywhere else other than
>> > bathroom, and in the presence of your partner/spouse) on a scale 1 to
>> > 10? 1 being absolutely no problem and 10 being divorce!
>
>> I wouldn't divorce someone over it, but I wouldn't stand for it,
>> either. I would say that they need to go in the bathroom because
>> that's where one does one's oral hygiene, and I find them really
>> unattractive when they insist on doing their oral hygiene in my
>> presence.
>>
>> Serene
>
>I agree. And while I wouldn't divorce someone over it, that's only
>because I wouldn't "get married" (or moral equivalent) to someone who

Don't you mean "functional equivalent"?

>did it.
>
>I might point out that it is also a health issue -- it is difficult
>(impossible?) to floss correctly without some amount of "flinging", and
>that's just plain unsanitary. I would categorise it along with sneezing

Good point.

>without covering your mouth, which I believe is also an etiquette breech.
>
>And, while I sometimes use a toothpick in the common areas of my home,
>(a) I do so with my mouth closed -- if I need to "really get in there",
>I retire to the bathroom and (b) I refrain if others are around.

If you are inclined to email me
for some reason, remove NOPSAM :-)

dav...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2020, 9:15:18 PM7/9/20
I am good with diverse! My goodness, it's something to be done in the bathroom.