Stop-motion animation is not gone

Walt

May 4, 2017, 1:23:05 AM5/4/17
I recently watched the movie "Kubo and the Two Strings" on Netflix. Very good movie.

I loved the animation, but I assumed it was CG in the style of stop-motion.... until I saw clip during the credits which looked like a time-lapse shot of people animating one of the characters. (Ooo, stop-motion with pixellation.)

A quick internet search found articles saying the movie was a blend of CG and traditional stop-motion.

WOSAT fans may little things to like in the story.
A boy uses his magic to animate origami

Walt

May 4, 2017, 1:28:59 AM5/4/17
Nuts. I accidentally hit "post" before I was finished. Let's try again:

I recently watched the movie "Kubo and the Two Strings" on Netflix. Very good movie.

I loved the animation, but I assumed it was CG in the style of stop-motion.... until I saw clip during the credits which looked like a time-lapse shot of people animating one of the characters. (Ooo, stop-motion with pixellation.)

A quick internet search found articles saying the movie was a blend of CG and traditional stop-motion.

Wizard fans may little things to like in the story.
- A boy uses his magic to create animations to entertain audiences
- Lots of origami
- The origami characters are animated to tell the stories.

What did you think of the movie?

Torsten Bronger

May 4, 2017, 2:01:01 AM5/4/17
Hallöchen!

Walt writes:

> Nuts. I accidentally hit "post" before I was finished. Let's try
> again:
>
> I recently watched the movie "Kubo and the Two Strings" on
> Netflix. Very good movie.
>
> [...]
>
> What did you think of the movie?

We liked the movie, too. I think ParaNorman and Coraline are
similarly made (and share staff, too).

Tschö,
Torsten.

--
Torsten Bronger

Matt

May 4, 2017, 4:57:17 PM5/4/17
I haven't caught the movie yet, I need to fix that! One of the lead stop motion animators on Kubo was a classmate when I was studying my Animation degree. Malcolm Lamont, amazingly talented guy.

I have watched some behind the scenes clips and I've never seen such big sets and large armatured monster figures as Laika used. Clever use of 3d printing for faces and other interchangeable parts. I don't think there was much CGI overall, mostly practical effects.

There's a humanity to stop motion animation that computer animation can't compete with yet. Maybe that line will blur more when animators use VR to interact with their CGI sets.

Walt

May 6, 2017, 4:56:18 PM5/6/17
On Thursday, May 4, 2017 at 1:57:17 PM UTC-7, Matt wrote:
> There's a humanity to stop motion animation that computer animation can't compete with yet. Maybe that line will blur more when animators use VR to interact with their CGI sets.

There is something about it. Anyone could do it, but they don't. And only a few people can do it this well.