Bedtime Stories - The Singles

Mr. S.R. Winterton

Dec 22, 1994, 10:14:20 AM12/22/94
I think we could almost certainly assume that Bedtime Story is going
to be the third single from the album - apparently the video for the
track is in the editing stage. After that, the tracks I'd like to
see released (apparently there will be six) are as follows:

Love Tried to Welcome Me - my favourite song on the album and one of
the best things she's ever done. In my opinion this should have
followed Secret rather than Take A Bow with its 'let's make a predictable
piece of slush to keep Warners happy' philosophy. It stands out on
the album like a sore thumb and totally ruins the ending for me.

Next

Human Nature - for me this song demonstrates that the only thing wrong
with the Erotica album was the production. If it wasn't for the lyrics,
I'd be convinced that this track was written for Erotica.

And then

Sanctury - the least obvious single but what a grower. When I first
heard this track I thought it was rather average. After playing the album
several times, this was the one that kept coming into my head throughout
the day.

These are the songs that I'd like to see released as singles. They also
have excellent video potential. I suspect they will be overlooked in
favour of Inside of Me, Forbidden Love and the most obvious Don't Stop.
The latter of which is just as predicatble, if not as crass, as
Take A Bow.

"...guilty of lust and sin"

Steven

Scott Nahabedian

Dec 22, 1994, 4:05:36 PM12/22/94
Mr. S.R. Winterton (ste...@liverpool.ac.uk) wrote:
[...]

UhOh, i have an ally in the i hate dont stop wars! hide the children! neuter
your kittens! shave the llamas! teach every antarctican penguin to say "la dee
da dee" without even a throat lozenge!
:-)
You have good taste my friend...
You are right in my opinion about take a bow, which has grown on me a bit, but
only could have been save by good remixes taking out that damn tinkly
synthesizer and babyfaces voice....ick!
Beditime story is so iffy, but i dont care about her chart career as much as i
do about seeing cool videos and hearing kicking remixes... but Orbit? ugh. how
predictable...
im sure they will be good remixes, but it should have been handled by techno
artists, especially moby comes to mind, maybe for an odd kick, praga kahn and
jade 4 u! o boy that would be beautitious! but alas...

Sanctuary is definitely one of my faves now! it wasnt at first but it is so
infectious! i wish there was more of that poetry though... shes not bad at
recitation you know! maybe a remix can be just the poem (or however much more
there is of it) over the music kinda like the beast within from justify my
love.

i cannot wait till the BS video! but i know i will be disappointed considering
the one i already have in my mind.

LET'S GET UNCONCIOUS, HONEY!
Scott

GOSS 9

Jan 1, 1995, 9:02:54 PM1/1/95
Scott, you're everywhere!!!
Okay, first of all, Take a Bow is a GREAT song and it ended BS
beautifully. M says it's one of her faves and it's definitely one of
mine.
Don't Stop is okay. I think that the lyrics are a little dull, but you
guys shouldn't take it so seriously. It's a fun groovy song amidst the
deeper tracks. Every album needs one. Every album also needs a TAB.
I DO care about M's chart "career" and although Bedtime Story is a unique
track and should make for an interesting video and remixes, the mainstream
WON'T accept it and what she needs right now is acceptance by the public.
Once they pick up the album b/c of a "poppy" song so to speak, they'll
experience the brilliance of the other songs.
I LOVED Sanctuary from the moment I heard it!!! I melt when I hear her
say, "And the Earth was void and empty..." A whole song (or, better yet,
a whole album) of her reciting original and classic poetry would be
awesome!
When I first heard Love Tried To Welcome Me, I thought it was just "okay,"
but after a few spins I realized that it was one of those tracks that gets
better with every listen.
On the other hand, I LOVED Forbidden Love at first, but it's sort of faded
for me. So has Human Nature.
Anyway, the topic of this message: single releases...
I think TAB was a good choice for 2nd, but she now needs a really great
toe-tapper. My choice would be I'd Rather Be Your Lover, but I wouldn't
be surprised if they went with DS. The former (I hope) would finally give
her back her R&B credibility.
FL would make a great single too.
I'd like to see remixes of Sanctuary, but I'm not sure it would do well
with the mainstream (the same as BS).
Okay, I'll shut up now.
E-mail if you want to chat.

Rejection is the greatest aphrodisiac...
Bedtime Stories...her best album since the superior Like a Prayer...

: )