Keith's Impossibly Boring DaveCon Trip Report

5 views
Skip to first unread message

Keith Rose

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 3:16:47 PM6/23/08
to
Travel was blissfully uneventful. The funniest part of my travel
experience came when I was leaving NY. I had just checked out of
my hotel, and one of the hotel staff offered to call a cab for me.
I declined, telling him that I would be taking the train and bus
out to the airport. I jokingly added that "I wanted to see it all."
He laughed, and responded "I don't know what you think you're going
to see, but go for it." But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

My flight into town landed at about 10:30am on Thursday. I took
the M60 bus to Astoria Blvd. in Queens, and from there took the N
straight into town; the closest stop being about a block from my
hotel. I love New York Mass Transit. I dumped my bag at the hotel
and walked up Broadway to meet everybody for lunch. I was able to
return Bob/Nekk's wallet to him (don't ask), and got to sit next
to Dr. Rod during lunch. I felt a little under-dressed sitting
next to Rod, but that's really just par for the course for me. I
also had the pleasure of meeting both Gregs for the first time, and
was as pleased as punch when Traci handed out the DaveCon buttons
and Pat's kazoos.

After lunch we went down to wait in line for our tickets. Rocco
and I were standing in line on 53rd, having a nice conversation
with a couple from Houston, when a cab pulled to a stop almost
literally on my right foot. Out jumped Foxy. I think she offered
the driver an extra $50 if he agreed to hit me, but he must have
chickened out at the last second.

We got our tickets, and it took an amazing feat of line-jumping on
my part to score ticket #13. Then we went back to 53rd to hang out
and witness the well-documented, harrowing adventures that Donz
experienced. A few of us went over to Jamba Juice, because, really,
how could you NOT do that?

Before we knew it, it was time for the show. After a brief but
entertaining wait in the lobby, we were released into the theater.
I found myself in a great spot right in front of the band. On my
left was Westerner, and some dead guy was dumped into the seat on
my right. I'll let others with a better memory than mine describe
the details of the taping. I will say that I always get a kick of
the abusive way that Dave treats his microphone during the pre-show
audience chat. I will also say that I thought Jason Bateman was a
great guest, and that it was wonderful to see Terri, especially
with her outstanding attitude in spite of the blows that she has
been dealt.

After the show, we got to participate in the taping of the TMS, and
I think we'll all be stunned if Donz's performance doesn't garner
him some sort of award.

After the TMS taping, I split from the group so that I could check
into the hotel, and I caught up with everybody at the restaurant.
I had fun chatting with DDY about Kansas and college life, and with
Donz about database software and video editing software. I enjoyed
Rocco's mocking me with his impossibly long hair, and I really
enjoyed the fact that Brad didn't flee the city as soon as he saw
me this year.

After the staff at Cascina got tired of us (after about three hours),
it was time to move on. I left the group at this point, thinking
I'd get to see a few folks the next day for lunch. But, I didn't
want to stay up too late, because of the things I had planned for
the next day.

One of the things on my list of "New York Experiences" that I hadn't
done yet was jog through Central Park. But I also wanted to get a
ticket for a tour through Yankee Stadium. Knowing that I'd have
to be in line for the ticket early, I had to wake very early in the
day for my jog. Perfect weather for an early morning run. After
a quick shower I jumped on the D train headed for the Bronx. Luckily,
I got in line early enough for a ticket to the 1pm tour. I took
the D back down to Time Square, and arrived at the pie place about
15 minutes early, only to find that it had been shut down by the
board of health. I overheard one of the workers telling an irate
potential customer that a knob on one of their gas ovens was faulty,
and wouldn't be repaired for a couple of days. I waited until
11:30, which was the designated meet-up time, and nobody showed.
Convinced that I had just been punk'd, I dejectedly slunk back to
my hotel to retrieve my camera before going back to the Bronx for
my tour.

The rest of my trip is non-DaveCon related, so I'll just blow through
it. I toured Yankee Stadium, but refused to sit on the bench in
the dugout - I do have my standards. I meandered through Greenwich
Village, and had a relaxing break on a bench in Washington Square
park - right up until the moment a pigeon took a big dump on me.
I took in the game at Yankee Stadium that night, and had the pleasure
of seeing them get beat by the Reds. I also had the pleasure of
paying $20 for two dogs and a beer (and hat with the word "IDIOT!"
on it). I enjoyed the crushing subway ride back into town after
the game was over. I left town early the next day.

That's it.

I did take some pictures: http://gallery.mac.com/bkeithrose/100104

Donz5

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 4:21:37 PM6/23/08
to
On Jun 23, 3:16 pm, Keith Rose <xkei...@xmayparkx.com> wrote:
> Travel was blissfully uneventful.  The funniest part of my travel
> experience came when I was leaving NY.  I had just checked out of
> my hotel, and one of the hotel staff offered to call a cab for me.
> I declined, telling him that I would be taking the train and bus
> out to the airport.  I jokingly added that "I wanted to see it all."
> He laughed, and responded "I don't know what you think you're going
> to see, but go for it."  But I'm getting way ahead of myself.

I think you forgot to go into detail on the trip back. Fess up!

>
> My flight into town landed at about 10:30am on Thursday.  I took
> the M60 bus to Astoria Blvd. in Queens, and from there took the N

> straight into town; ...

The end of the M60 line is right across the street from me. Thanks.

>
[snip]


>
> We got our tickets, and it took an amazing feat of line-jumping on
> my part to score ticket #13.  Then we went back to 53rd to hang out
> and witness the well-documented, harrowing adventures that Donz
> experienced.  A few of us went over to Jamba Juice, because, really,
> how could you NOT do that?

But how'd you all manage to destroy the stage carpet?

>
[snip]


>
> After the show, we got to participate in the taping of the TMS, and
> I think we'll all be stunned if Donz's performance doesn't garner
> him some sort of award.

I got a call from Mark Wahlberg. Something about not being available
for a sequel. Wasn't interested.

>
> After the TMS taping, I split from the group so that I could check
> into the hotel, and I caught up with everybody at the restaurant.
> I had fun chatting with DDY about Kansas and college life, and with
> Donz about database software and video editing software.  I enjoyed
> Rocco's mocking me with his impossibly long hair, and I really
> enjoyed the fact that Brad didn't flee the city as soon as he saw
> me this year.
>
> After the staff at Cascina got tired of us (after about three hours),
> it was time to move on.  I left the group at this point, thinking
> I'd get to see a few folks the next day for lunch.  But, I didn't
> want to stay up too late, because of the things I had planned for
> the next day.

I'm sorry you didn't join us later; I never got a chance to say
farewell and how great it was to see you again.

Nice pics; the Yankees seem a lot younger these days. Also didn't
realize the team went co-ed.

I liked the Retired Numbers photo. Looked like the start of Churchill
Downs.

johnny bobby bee

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 4:59:37 PM6/23/08
to
Keith Rose wrote:
> I did take some pictures: http://gallery.mac.com/bkeithrose/100104

Judas! What kind of Mac do you have?

--
As we enjoy great advantages from inventions of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours;
and this we should do freely and generously.
--Benjamin Franklin

Keith Rose

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 7:16:25 PM6/23/08
to
johnny bobby bee wrote:
>Keith Rose wrote:
>> I did take some pictures: http://gallery.mac.com/bkeithrose/100104
>
>Judas! What kind of Mac do you have?

An incredibly over-worked MacMini. When you encode hi-def video on it,
you can actually hear the CPU screaming in pain.

But don't worry, I still have my linux box down in the basement,
"hauling the mail," as they say.

Keith Rose

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 7:20:17 PM6/23/08
to
Donz5 <do...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>> My flight into town landed at about 10:30am on Thursday.  I took
>> the M60 bus to Astoria Blvd. in Queens, and from there took the N
>> straight into town; ...
>
>The end of the M60 line is right across the street from me. Thanks.

Well, that explains the cryptic note at the bottom of the bus map
at the airport:

Last stop: Here there be donz!

>> A few of us went over to Jamba Juice, because, really,
>> how could you NOT do that?
>
>But how'd you all manage to destroy the stage carpet?

Security staff was diverted elsewhere. Have we thanked you for that?

foxysc...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 7:30:55 PM6/23/08
to
On Jun 23, 3:16 pm, Keith Rose <xkei...@xmayparkx.com> wrote:
>
Out jumped Foxy.  I think she offered
> the driver an extra $50 if he agreed to hit me, but he must have
> chickened out at the last second.
>
>
In order to hit you, he would have hit other people in the way, and
that would have cost me more. So I said forget it.

had a relaxing break on a bench in Washington Square
> park - right up until the moment a pigeon took a big dump on me.

OMG!!! Where did it land? On your head? In your face? On your
shoulder? On your shoe?
You know what people say when other people have a bird crap on them?
Just to make them feel not so like a loser?
"Oooo.....That's good luck!!!."

Keith Rose

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 8:19:09 PM6/23/08
to
Foxy wrote:
>On Jun 23, 3:16 pm, Keith Rose <xkei...@xmayparkx.com> wrote:
>>
>Out jumped Foxy.  I think she offered
>> the driver an extra $50 if he agreed to hit me, but he must have
>> chickened out at the last second.
>>
>>
>In order to hit you, he would have hit other people in the way, and
>that would have cost me more. So I said forget it.

I can totally understand that! Next year I'll just stand in the
middle of 53rd to make it cheaper for you.

>had a relaxing break on a bench in Washington Square
>> park - right up until the moment a pigeon took a big dump on me.
>
>OMG!!! Where did it land? On your head? In your face? On your
>shoulder? On your shoe?
>You know what people say when other people have a bird crap on them?
>Just to make them feel not so like a loser?
>"Oooo.....That's good luck!!!."

I was sitting on a bench with my legs outstretched and my feet
crossed. Two benches to my left was a guy (must be a park regular)
who was feeding the birds, and he had birds all over him. On the
adjoining bench to my right, a young girl had just sat down. (I'm
thinking college student - backpack and proximity to NYU.)

The bird managed to get both my bare legs with one load, and it was
*quite* a load. The young girl snickered in spite of herself, but
stifled it quickly. I turned to her and said "He's got birds all
over him, and I'm the one who gets crapped on." She laughed, and
I wiped off my legs with my handkerchief (which I had to throw
away). So, I brightened someone's day, and she had a funny story
to tell her friends later. So, that's something.

But, it could have been much, much worse.

Donz5

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 8:23:15 PM6/23/08
to

Isn't that the story that Brady's airplane seatmate told him?

R H Draney

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 8:46:07 PM6/23/08
to
Keith Rose filted:

>
>The bird managed to get both my bare legs with one load, and it was
>*quite* a load. The young girl snickered in spite of herself, but
>stifled it quickly. I turned to her and said "He's got birds all
>over him, and I'm the one who gets crapped on." She laughed, and
>I wiped off my legs with my handkerchief (which I had to throw
>away). So, I brightened someone's day, and she had a funny story
>to tell her friends later. So, that's something.
>
>But, it could have been much, much worse.

Yeah....

It *could* have been a buffalo....r


--
What good is being an executive if you never get to execute anyone?

boston...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 10:49:50 PM6/23/08
to

Nice report Keith, it was nice to see you again.
Loved the pics. Even the Yankee Stadium ones. As much as I hate the
Yankees I would have done the tour also.

Bill

Donz5

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 10:52:13 PM6/23/08
to

They wouldn't have let you in. :)

Kath

unread,
Jun 23, 2008, 11:00:16 PM6/23/08
to

Got to love the way Yankee Stadium mows their grass. I want a striped
lawn in my backyard with my intials powdered in chalk.

Kath

foxysc...@yahoo.com

unread,
Jun 24, 2008, 5:35:41 AM6/24/08
to
On Jun 23, 8:19 pm, Keith Rose <xkei...@xmayparkx.com> wrote:
>
She laughed, and
> I wiped off my legs with my handkerchief (which I had to throw
> away).  So, I brightened someone's day, and she had a funny story
> to tell her friends later.  So, that's something.


How many men carry a handkerchief anymore?..,.you're a regular Rhett
Butler, Rose Keith.

Sally

unread,
Jun 24, 2008, 2:26:34 PM6/24/08
to

I loved Rhett, but I doubt if he would have been the photographer
Keith was...Rhett was a cynic. Keith's photographs show a happy person
took those pictures. They're all about people looking natural or with
smiles on their faces. I loved the pix; they had a real intimacy about
them. He always knew where to position himself for the most telling
shot. And the stadium shots were artistic. Nice work. Thanks, Keith.

Sally

Tom Cronin

unread,
Jun 24, 2008, 8:04:42 PM6/24/08
to
On Jun 23, 12:16 pm, Keith Rose <xkei...@xmayparkx.com> wrote:
> The rest of my trip is non-DaveCon related, so I'll just blow through
> it.  I toured Yankee Stadium, but refused to sit on the bench in
> the dugout - I do have my standards.

Did you see or touch any Yankees?


Good report, Keith! And don't worry: it wasn't (Yaaaaawwwwwn)
boring... at...all...
....skynxxxxxxxxxxxx...


Tom

Keith Rose

unread,
Jun 25, 2008, 12:08:34 AM6/25/08
to
In article <6f83cfa1-f212-4c55...@v1g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,

Tom Cronin <tkhkc...@aol.com> wrote:
>On Jun 23, 12:16 pm, Keith Rose <xkei...@xmayparkx.com> wrote:
>> The rest of my trip is non-DaveCon related, so I'll just blow through
>> it.  I toured Yankee Stadium, but refused to sit on the bench in
>> the dugout - I do have my standards.
>
>Did you see or touch any Yankees?

I think I stepped in some of Giambi's juice, if you know what I mean.

>Good report, Keith! And don't worry: it wasn't (Yaaaaawwwwwn)
>boring... at...all...
>....skynxxxxxxxxxxxx...

Now I'm glad that I erased your number from Traci's cell phone before
dinner... I was beginning to feel guilty about that.

Pat Fleet

unread,
Jun 25, 2008, 12:28:41 AM6/25/08
to
Keith Rose wrote:
> I will say that I always get a kick of the abusive way that Dave treats his
> microphone during the pre-show audience chat. I will also say that I thought
> Jason Bateman was a great guest, and that it was wonderful to see Terri,
> especially with her outstanding attitude in spite of the blows that she has
> been dealt.

Love this. You all were privy to a terrific show. Great report.
Sorry you missed out on the pie. As an honored previous pie guessing winner,
you should've had some.

> The rest of my trip is non-DaveCon related, so I'll just blow through
> it. I toured Yankee Stadium, but refused to sit on the bench in
> the dugout - I do have my standards. I meandered through Greenwich
> Village, and had a relaxing break on a bench in Washington Square
> park - right up until the moment a pigeon took a big dump on me.
> I took in the game at Yankee Stadium that night, and had the pleasure
> of seeing them get beat by the Reds. I also had the pleasure of
> paying $20 for two dogs and a beer (and hat with the word "IDIOT!"
> on it). I enjoyed the crushing subway ride back into town after
> the game was over. I left town early the next day.
>
> That's it.

Pigeon poop! Welcome to New York. Yuck!

Can you explain the IDIOT hat? I don't know about that.

> I did take some pictures: http://gallery.mac.com/bkeithrose/100104

Pictures tell the story. Very nice! Thanks, Keith.

Keith Rose

unread,
Jun 25, 2008, 8:47:25 AM6/25/08
to
Pat Fleet wrote:

>Keith Rose wrote:
>> I took in the game at Yankee Stadium that night, and had the pleasure
>> of seeing them get beat by the Reds. I also had the pleasure of
>> paying $20 for two dogs and a beer (and hat with the word "IDIOT!"
>> on it).
>
>Can you explain the IDIOT hat? I don't know about that.

It was a reference to Dave's monologue. He talked about the $200
Burger King burger, which came with a hat that said "IDIOT!"

Helen Read

unread,
Jun 25, 2008, 12:46:42 PM6/25/08
to
Keith Rose wrote:
>
> Before we knew it, it was time for the show. After a brief but
> entertaining wait in the lobby, we were released into the theater.
> I found myself in a great spot right in front of the band. On my
> left was Westerner, and some dead guy was dumped into the seat on
> my right.

What I want to know is, why does the Dead Guy have to be so darn tall? I
was sitting right behind him, and practically broke my neck trying to
see around him (seeing over him not being possible).


> I took the D back down to Time Square, and arrived at the pie place
> about 15 minutes early, only to find that it had been shut down by
> the board of health. I overheard one of the workers telling an irate
> potential customer that a knob on one of their gas ovens was faulty,
> and wouldn't be repaired for a couple of days. I waited until 11:30,
> which was the designated meet-up time, and nobody showed. Convinced
> that I had just been punk'd, I dejectedly slunk back to my hotel to
> retrieve my camera before going back to the Bronx for my tour.

You missed me by about 3 or 4 minutes.

> I did take some pictures: http://gallery.mac.com/bkeithrose/100104

Cool, but I cannot get the page to load over the Fred Flintstone
dial-up. I'll have to check out the pix from my office sometime.

--
HPR

http://homepages.together.net/~hpr/daveorama/

Brady

unread,
Jun 25, 2008, 6:23:09 PM6/25/08
to
Donz wrote:

It kind of sounds like part of a Paul Harvey 'rest of the story' deal.

Brady

dyo...@ksu.edu

unread,
Jun 25, 2008, 10:15:26 PM6/25/08
to
Thanks for a fine trip report. I'm sorry about the snub in a previous
post. I had a busy catch-up day with work on Monday, and unfortunately
never found it until now.

I feel like I should allow more time in the city if I'm able to come
again, but I should probably find a cheaper hotel. It cost more than
the airplane tickets.


David D

DDY's Late Show Fan Page
http://www.ddy.com/dl3.html

Tom W

unread,
Jun 25, 2008, 10:45:11 PM6/25/08
to
dyo...@ksu.edu wrote:
> Thanks for a fine trip report. I'm sorry about the snub in a previous
> post. I had a busy catch-up day with work on Monday, and unfortunately
> never found it until now.
>
> I feel like I should allow more time in the city if I'm able to come
> again, but I should probably find a cheaper hotel. It cost more than
> the airplane tickets.

I always feel the same way. For a cheaper place to stay, I know a Super 8 Motel
in North Bergen, NJ. $2 shuttles to and from the Port Authority.

Tom W

Donz5

unread,
Jun 25, 2008, 10:48:22 PM6/25/08
to

Next year, the two of you can stay at my place. Bring the girls. (and
stop laughing, Traci)

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages