What's left for Dave to prove?

MJ

Dec 5, 2011, 8:17:54 PM12/5/11
Recently, I noted that Dave surpassed He-who-must-not-be-named-with-a-big-chin,
in ratings.

Given that Dave will be 65 next year, about the same age as Johnny
his mentor when he retired, I wonder what does Dave have left
to do in his career?

He's interviewed all the big stars, politicians, writers, etc.
Consistent in his showmanship - no guest stars (other then when he
was recuperating from his heart surgery), broken the rules
when it came for night time shows and set standards for
those behind him (think Conan, Kimmell, Fallon, etc.), beaten
his rival in ratings, and on.

At one point in your life you think about hanging it all up
and go do something else. I could see him back on the road
again, doing specials, or honestly, do a slow fade from
the public view - which is what Carson did.

His son is 8 years old (I think?). Precious time to connect
with a child. Think of the grand time he could have
with Harry everyday if he didn't have to work.

I read that his contact negotiations are due for beyond 2013
and does anyone want to hazard a guess that CBS wants him on for
two or x (you fill in) years? My sense, CBS has a gold mine
and will want him in at least two more years, but has
to think beyond Dave.

Curious as to what you all think. I know I've raised this
before with this group, but yes, I'm raising it again. To be
honest, because, I'm a bit tired of the troll postings
that have nothing to do with this group!

MJ

alynch

Dec 5, 2011, 8:38:31 PM12/5/11
I'm pretty sure his current contract only goes through August 2012.
I'm guessing they'll extend it another year, making it 20 years at
CBS, and then call it quits. Then the show will either go to Stewart
or Ferguson.

Donz5

Dec 5, 2011, 8:44:24 PM12/5/11
According to Bill Carter, Scottish Conan Guy is contracted to get
Dave's spot after Dave retires.

As for what's left for Dave: Mayor of Choteau, Montana.

Steve Curtis

Dec 5, 2011, 8:47:51 PM12/5/11
"MJ" wrote in part:

>At one point in your life you think about
>hanging it all up and go do something
>else. I could see him back on the road
>again, doing specials, or honestly, do a
>slow fade from the public view - which is
>what Carson did.

I could see him joining Regis as a Walmart greeter. :)

alynch

Dec 5, 2011, 9:00:09 PM12/5/11
I thought the book said that Craig only gets the show contractually if
Dave were to become suddenly incapacitated. If it's a regular
retirement, the spot is open.

Tom Wolper

Dec 5, 2011, 10:38:02 PM12/5/11
On 12/5/11 9:00 PM, alynch wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure his current contract only goes through August 2012.
>>> I'm guessing they'll extend it another year, making it 20 years at
>>> CBS, and then call it quits. Then the show will either go to Stewart
>>> or Ferguson.
>>
>> According to Bill Carter, Scottish Conan Guy is contracted to get
>> Dave's spot after Dave retires.
>>
>> As for what's left for Dave: Mayor of Choteau, Montana.
>
> I thought the book said that Craig only gets the show contractually if
> Dave were to become suddenly incapacitated. If it's a regular
> retirement, the spot is open.

At this point I think CBS is daunted by the idea of replacing Dave and they want
to put it of as long as possible. Dave and Jay both have steady audiences which
leads to steady income from advertisers. When Dave leaves all issues of safety
and security for the time slot go away and if CBS decides to keep the talk show
format a new host will be under a lot of pressure to draw a decent audience.

When Dave leaves I assume Worldwide Pants no longer holds that slot and so
Ferguson might not be guaranteed succession. CBS could put up the money to lure
Stewart from Comedy Central but they might find Daily Show comedy to be too
polarizing and they might not want to see authors as guests. So if they target
Stewart he might prefer to stay where he is. The one possible host who has
experience in the format and a following is Conan. He's the one I think would
get the nod.

Ten years ago Worldwide Pants diversified by producing Ed and Everybody Loves
Raymond. They seem to have left that business in recent years. I thought at the
time that Dave was considering prime time TV producing a possible post-LS
venture. Since that went away I'm guessing he will be done with TV when he gives
up the show.

alynch

Dec 5, 2011, 10:56:14 PM12/5/11
One thing Ferguson has going for them is that he's spent the last six
years showing that he can do a competitive show that's cheap as all
hell. That might be enough to make up for whatever audience he loses.

Twibil

Dec 6, 2011, 1:58:23 AM12/6/11
On Dec 5, 7:56 pm, alynch <alynch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing Ferguson has going for them is that he's spent the last six
> years showing that he can do a competitive show that's cheap as all
> hell. That might be enough to make up for whatever audience he loses.- Hide quoted text -

Ferguson, however, has openly stated that he doesn't want the show,
and he has a well-deserved reputation for saying exactly what he
means.

I suspect that the only way he'd ever take the responsibility would be
if he were offered carte blanche to do whatever he wanted to do with
the hour, and I frankly can't see the CBS brass ever ceding him that
sort of power.

~Pete

Just a viewer

Dec 6, 2011, 2:25:09 AM12/6/11
Ferguson at 11:35 would be a bigger disaster than Conan was.

Tom Wolper

Dec 6, 2011, 12:32:30 PM12/6/11
> Ferguson at 11:35 would be a bigger disaster than Conan was.

The current show would be. If Ferguson were to go to 11:30 he would probably
have to do his show from the Ed and do a more traditional talk show. Nobody
taking part in this conversation (me included) thinks he wants to do that.

Twibil

Dec 6, 2011, 2:01:15 PM12/6/11
On Dec 5, 11:25 pm, Just a viewer <hanesstro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ferguson at 11:35 would be a bigger disaster than Conan was.

Um, except that Conan wasn't a "disaster" by any measure other than
yours.

In fact, after Leno's new show flopped -and he decided that he wanted
his old show back- the NBC brass folded and pulled the rug out from
under Conan before he ever had the chance to build his own solid core
audience in the 11:30 spot.

We will never know how Conan would have done at 11:30 in the long
term.

MJ

Dec 6, 2011, 2:41:23 PM12/6/11
I don't think Craig wants the job either. He likes to act unscripted and while it would be interesting to see how he would do at 11:35, he's got a lot more freedom at 12:35. The cursing bunny, dancing horse, and lesbian row are all gems but would not work well at the earlier hour. I suspect his audience is hipper than Dave's. Conan is the better replacement only because I think he knows the time slot better.

The hardest part for CBS is to determine LA or NYC? Fallon and Stewart are the only ones in NYC. Stewart to me is the outlier. He would fit right in. He does interviews, sketches and stand up (well what passes for it on his show). He could re-invent the whole late night show milieu to back to Steve Allen and his cast of characters. Jon's got a warehouse full of them with his team.

MJ

zz...@zz.com

Dec 6, 2011, 2:56:45 PM12/6/11
On Mon, 5 Dec 2011 17:17:54 -0800 (PST), MJ <mjmwa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Recently, I noted that Dave surpassed He-who-must-not-be-named-with-a-big-chin,
>in ratings.
>
>Given that Dave will be 65 next year, about the same age as Johnny
>his mentor when he retired, I wonder what does Dave have left
>to do in his career?
As someone who is getting up in age I have to wonder if Dave will ever
retire. I've known alot of people over the years who have retired
only to die a short time after that. On the other hand i've also
known people who have kept working every day and they are
well past 90 years of age. So maybe the lesson for Dave is
to take a page from those people and keep working.

This from someone who is probably the oldest person
on this usenet newsgroup.

A1...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2011, 3:05:49 PM12/6/11
On Mon, 05 Dec 2011 22:38:02 -0500, Tom Wolper <two...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Dave will still be
helming the Late Show twenty years from now. World Wide Pants wiill
branch out and have five successful sit coms, and two successful
dramas.

Leno on the other hand will retire in the next year or so.

Ras Mikaere Enoch Mc Carty

Dec 6, 2011, 6:03:13 PM12/6/11

A1...@gmail.com wrote:

- Late Show twenty years from now.   World Wide Pants wiill
- branch out and have five successful sit coms, and two successful
- dramas.

Joel Stein Of The Los Angeles Times --->
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/19/opinion/oe-stein19

* Recently Listed The Whole Cabal Of Babylon Talmud
"Jews" Who Run Follywood With Complete Immersion
Into Pure Filth, Porn, Smut, Septic Jew Sex Fetish Sludge.

- Leno on the other hand will retire in the next year or so.

Leno Will Retire ---> When "Jonathan E" Retires ?
In The Original 'ROLLERBALL' Movie
James Caan

" What do you know about the
corporate wars? "

- Jonathan E

Ras Mikaere Enoch Mc Carty
Ambassador | Tainui Kiingitanga | Te Aotearoa
http://www.exorcist.org.nz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjGYSGbAEUM&NR=1
http://www.exorcist.org.nz/congress_of_russian_americans_1985.png

R H Draney

Dec 6, 2011, 7:45:47 PM12/6/11
MJ filted:

>I don't think Craig wants the job either. He likes to act unscripted and wh=
>ile it would be interesting to see how he would do at 11:35, he's got a lot=
> more freedom at 12:35. The cursing bunny, dancing horse, and lesbian row a=
>re all gems but would not work well at the earlier hour. I suspect his aud=
>ience is hipper than Dave's. Conan is the better replacement only because I=
> think he knows the time slot better.=20
>
>The hardest part for CBS is to determine LA or NYC? Fallon and Stewart are =
>the only ones in NYC. Stewart to me is the outlier. He would fit right in. =
>He does interviews, sketches and stand up (well what passes for it on his s=
>how). He could re-invent the whole late night show milieu to back to Steve =
>Allen and his cast of characters. Jon's got a warehouse full of them with h=
>is team.=20

Give it to Chevy...he's rested and ready....r

--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.

Twibil

Dec 6, 2011, 8:23:35 PM12/6/11
On Dec 6, 4:45 pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> >The hardest part for CBS is to determine LA or NYC? Fallon and Stewart are =
> >the only ones in NYC. Stewart to me is the outlier. He would fit right in. =
> >He does interviews, sketches and stand up (well what passes for it on his s=
> >how). He could re-invent the whole late night show milieu to back to Steve =
> >Allen and his cast of characters. Jon's got a warehouse full of them with h=
> >is team.=20
>
> Give it to Chevy...he's rested and ready....r

Hmmmm, did you just mis-spell "rusted"?

R H Draney

Dec 7, 2011, 2:55:01 AM12/7/11
Twibil filted:

>On Dec 6, 4:45=A0pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>>

>> >The hardest part for CBS is to determine LA or NYC? Fallon and Stewart a=
>re =3D
>> >the only ones in NYC. Stewart to me is the outlier. He would fit right i=
>n. =3D
>> >He does interviews, sketches and stand up (well what passes for it on hi=
>s s=3D
>> >how). He could re-invent the whole late night show milieu to back to Ste=
>ve =3D
>> >Allen and his cast of characters. Jon's got a warehouse full of them wit=
>h h=3D
>> >is team.=3D20
>>
>> Give it to Chevy...he's rested and ready....r
>
>Hmmmm, did you just mis-spell "rusted"?

As someone who watched every episode of Chevy's late-night talk show, I've never
understood why it got the reputation it did...sure, it wasn't Carson
quality...heck, it wasn't even Alan Thicke quality...but plenty of worse shows
have aired and they're not looked back on today the way Chevy's is....

It's the same thing with "My Mother the Car"...okay, it was goofy and inane, but
there were a lot of things goofier and inanier, but people only talk about MMTC
when they're casting about for an example of the "worst sitcom ever"...heck, the
same season alone also saw the premieres of "Camp Runamuck", "The John Forsythe
Show" (which changed mid-season from a sitcom to a spy drama), "The Legend of
Jesse James" (S&P must have loved a show with an outlaw for the main
character!), "Please Don't Eat the Daisies" (bringing "Family Circus" level
syrup to the small screen), "The Smothers Brothers Show" (not the controversial
variety show but a sitcom with Tom as a sailor who died at sea and comes back as
a probationary guardian angel to move in with his brother), and a game show
called "Let's Play Post Office" with announcer Bill Wendell....r

Twibil

Dec 7, 2011, 3:37:51 PM12/7/11
On Dec 6, 11:55 pm, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> >> Give it to Chevy...he's rested and ready....r
>
> >Hmmmm, did you just mis-spell "rusted"?
>
> As someone who watched every episode of Chevy's late-night talk show, I've never
> understood why it got the reputation it did...sure, it wasn't Carson
> quality...heck, it wasn't even Alan Thicke quality...but plenty of worse shows
> have aired and they're not looked back on today the way Chevy's is....

I wasn't thinking of that show -and you're right; it wasn't all that
bad- but more the fact that Chevy's humor might not be well-suited
for a late-night talk show in 2011.

~Pete

MJ

Dec 7, 2011, 8:47:05 PM12/7/11
But Chevy's got a job, no? He's a regular on "Community".
Much more comfy and easier for him.

Pat Sajak might try it again.

MJ

Steve Curtis

Dec 7, 2011, 10:43:52 PM12/7/11
Pat Sajak's a regular on "Wheel of Fortune" and he's got a comfy and
easy job too.

R H Draney

Dec 8, 2011, 4:32:11 AM12/8/11
Twibil filted:

>> >Hmmmm, did you just mis-spell "rusted"?
>>
>> As someone who watched every episode of Chevy's late-night talk show, I'v=
>e never
>> understood why it got the reputation it did...sure, it wasn't Carson
>> quality...heck, it wasn't even Alan Thicke quality...but plenty of worse =
>shows
>> have aired and they're not looked back on today the way Chevy's is....
>
>I wasn't thinking of that show -and you're right; it wasn't all that
>bad- but more the fact that Chevy's humor might not be well-suited
>for a late-night talk show in 2011.

Apropos Dave's little bit about how he used to greet one of the staffers as
"Jayne", but has since learned that she spells her name "Jane" and has made the
appropriate adjustment when he says hello to her: Chevy's starting to look
better all the time....r

Wiseguy

Dec 8, 2011, 12:35:33 PM12/8/11
Twibil <noway...@gmail.com> wrote in news:0f4309b3-4608-4c29-b64d-
494eb5...@d17g2000yql.googlegroups.com:
If NBC hadn't wanted Leno back and wanted to keep Conan they wouldn't have
made the changes.

JustinSosa

Dec 8, 2011, 2:36:53 PM12/8/11
Wow, is that true about Conan? I would actually love it if Conan took
The Late Show. By the time Dave leaves--whenever that is, but not any
time real soon---I think Conan might be ready to move on from the
silliness he's been so used to doing. and settle down and ride out The
Late Show for the rest of his career.

Twibil

Dec 8, 2011, 2:41:13 PM12/8/11
On Dec 8, 1:32 am, R H Draney <dadoc...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Apropos Dave's little bit about how he used to greet one of the staffers as
> "Jayne", but has since learned that she spells her name "Jane" and has made the
> appropriate adjustment when he says hello to her: Chevy's starting to look
> better all the time....r

Yeah, I can't figure that one out either.

Dave's taste for off-the-wall humor -that strikes him as funny because
it doesn't make any sense- sometimes makes so little sense that it
becomes annoying rather than amusing.

Quien sabe?

Tom Wolper

Dec 8, 2011, 2:51:32 PM12/8/11
On 12/8/11 2:36 PM, JustinSosa wrote:

> Wow, is that true about Conan? I would actually love it if Conan took
> The Late Show. By the time Dave leaves--whenever that is, but not any
> time real soon---I think Conan might be ready to move on from the
> silliness he's been so used to doing. and settle down and ride out The
> Late Show for the rest of his career.

We can't call anything true since all we are doing is speculating. And any
scenario we dream up can fall apart based on little details. Here are my
assumptions about this scenario: any cable show host will prefer to do a network
show because the pay is better and budgets are bigger. CBS will prefer to do a
Late Show from the Ed Sullivan Theater in NY. Worldwide Pants will cede their
control of the 11:35 hour to CBS.

Assuming all of that is true, my guess is that Conan makes the best candidate
for the job.

JustinSosa

Dec 8, 2011, 2:46:05 PM12/8/11
I kinda liked that joke. it's a funny premise...but Dave sort of
threw it away and the delivery was kind of off. By the time he said
it the second/third time, it had already lost its luster.

Donz5

Dec 8, 2011, 6:09:56 PM12/8/11
Scottish Conan Guy = Craig Ferguson, not Conan O'Brien. :)

Steve Curtis

Dec 8, 2011, 7:37:49 PM12/8/11
"Donz5" wrote:

>JustinSosa wrote:

>>Donz5 wrote:

>>>According to Bill Carter, Scottish
>>>Conan Guy is contracted to get Dave's
>>>spot after Dave retires.

>>>As for what's left for Dave: Mayor of
>>>Choteau, Montana.

>>Wow, is that true about Conan?  I
>>would actually love it if Conan took The
>>Late Show.  By the time Dave
>>leaves--whenever that is, but not any
>>time real soon---I think Conan might be
>>ready to move on from the silliness he's
>>been so used to doing. and settle down
>>and ride out The Late Show for the rest
>>of his career.

>Scottish Conan Guy = Craig Ferguson,
>not Conan O'Brien. :)

Bostonian Conan Guy = Conan O'Brien:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005277/bio

:)

Twibil

Dec 8, 2011, 8:12:21 PM12/8/11
On Dec 8, 11:46 am, JustinSosa <justins...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I kinda liked that joke.  it's a funny premise...but Dave sort of
> threw it away and the delivery was kind of off.  By the time he said
> it the second/third time, it had already lost its luster.

Yup.

Carson had the gift of being able to repeat a DOA joke and get at
least a chuckle out of his audience the second time around.

I think that was what Dave was trying for, but it didn't float..